PDA

View Full Version : Broncos block Chargers from talking with Russell

BowlenBall
01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
https://twitter.com/UTKevinAcee/status/286166370008330241

"Chargers asked for permission to speak to Denver Broncos Director of Player Personnel Matt Russell about GM job. Broncos denied the request."

I've got mixed emotions about this -- if Russell wanted to interview for the job, then he should be allowed to (he's not a slave, after all).

On the other hand -- **** the Chargers.

RedskinBronco
01-01-2013, 10:34 AM
If Russell doesn't begrudge the move I am good with it.

So long as he is not upset about it; because you do not want an unhappy guy in your organization and creating issues.

SpringStein
01-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Slaves aren't usually under contract paying the amount of money Russell is getting. :)
I bet if it was Jax or a non AFC West rival, the Broncos would let him interview.

Bronco Yoda
01-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Russell IS our slave. It says so in his contract that he signed in blood.

R-Mac
01-01-2013, 10:39 AM
https://twitter.com/VicLombardi

Regarding the report out of San Diego on Matt Russell, the Broncos did NOT deny an interview. Russell's not interested in leaving Denver.

But... Brian Xanders is available.

Crushaholic
01-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Does Director of Player Personnel really matter, with Elway in charge?

BowlenBall
01-01-2013, 10:48 AM

I think it does -- Russell is very, very underrated by the OM and Broncos Nation, IMO.

BowlenBall
01-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Update from Broncotalk.com (http://broncotalk.net/2013/01/43905/broncos-buzz/broncos-block-chargers-from-talking-to-russell/):

"Update: CBS4′s Vic Lombardi reports that the Broncos did not block the Chargers of talking to Russell, the team’s director of player personnel was not interested in talking to San Diego. Obviously, Russell likes the situation he has in Denver.

Since firing Brian Xanders, the Broncos have had Russell act as G.M., managing G.M. duties with the team’s ultimate personnel power belonging to executive John Elway. Because Russell, however, is officially a “director of player personnel,” teams have the ability to snatch him away from Denver because a G.M. job would be considered a promotion, even if that is Russell’s unofficial job in Denver.

This may prompt the Broncos to promote Russell to official G.M., eliminating the possibility of other teams making him their own. Otherwise, teams will keep calling and in the offseason, the Broncos won’t be able to turn them away."

Good for Russell -- proud of him for also saying "**** you" to the Chargers.

Dedhed
01-01-2013, 10:58 AM
"Update: CBS4′s Vic Lombardi reports that the Broncos did not block the Chargers of talking to Russell

the Broncos won’t be able to turn them away."

How do
'Ol Vic says we "won't be able to turn them away" after he makes the point that Russell wants to be in Denver.

DivineLegion
01-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Didn't Russell play for Colorado?

R8R H8R
01-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Update from Broncotalk.com (http://broncotalk.net/2013/01/43905/broncos-buzz/broncos-block-chargers-from-talking-to-russell/):

"Update: CBS4′s Vic Lombardi reports that the Broncos did not block the Chargers of talking to Russell, the team’s director of player personnel was not interested in talking to San Diego. Obviously, Russell likes the situation he has in Denver.

Since firing Brian Xanders, the Broncos have had Russell act as G.M., managing G.M. duties with the team’s ultimate personnel power belonging to executive John Elway. Because Russell, however, is officially a “director of player personnel,” teams have the ability to snatch him away from Denver because a G.M. job would be considered a promotion, even if that is Russell’s unofficial job in Denver.

This may prompt the Broncos to promote Russell to official G.M., eliminating the possibility of other teams making him their own. Otherwise, teams will keep calling and in the offseason, the Broncos won’t be able to turn them away."

Good for Russell -- proud of him for also saying "**** you" to the Chargers.

Make it happen Elway! That, or pay him like a GM. Either way, reward him for being loyal to the Broncos.

I am real comfortable with this FO. I would like to see as much continuity there as we all want to see in the coaching staff.

DivineLegion
01-01-2013, 11:25 AM
I am officially starting the "Bring back the Mane Matt Russell" campaign.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/article-images/2012/01-January/120117_russell_inside.jpg

BroncoLifer
01-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Didn't Russell play for Colorado?

Yes, right at the end of the glory years. And he was a lot more than just another guy -- was the Butkus Award winner his senior season.

Rohirrim
01-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Matt Russell is a Buff. In other words, he's smart enough to know you don't want to work for Spanos.

(I wonder if he ever got the chance to bump into Slick Rick again and kick his ass?) ;D

Rock Chalk
01-01-2013, 11:50 AM
How do
'Ol Vic says we "won't be able to turn them away" after he makes the point that Russell wants to be in Denver.

Russell didnt have any interest in San Diego (i.e. the gig in Denver is better) but that may not be the case with every team that may call.

tsiguy96
01-01-2013, 11:52 AM
im not sure if the "can interview for any promotion" rule applies to front office and GMs, just assistants who are applying to be the head coach...

Lestat
01-01-2013, 10:18 PM

when they're as talented as Russell is, you're damn right it does.

Requiem
01-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Well OK!

Boltjolt
01-01-2013, 11:29 PM
https://twitter.com/UTKevinAcee/status/286166370008330241

"Chargers asked for permission to speak to Denver Broncos Director of Player Personnel Matt Russell about GM job. Broncos denied the request."

I've got mixed emotions about this -- if Russell wanted to interview for the job, then he should be allowed to (he's not a slave, after all).

On the other hand -- **** the Chargers.

Russell said he didnt want to leave. Loves Colorado and loves working with Elway( i guess he played there in college too?)

No big deal, they have 5 others they will interview for the GM spot. Russell is probably not quite ready to be a GM now anyways. He just got that promotion this year. There are others who are qualified. Im just glad the Chargers arent promoting from within like they usually do and trying to find the best guy they can.

24champ
01-01-2013, 11:38 PM
I think it does -- Russell is very, very underrated by the OM and Broncos Nation, IMO.

Disagree. He's been praised by a lot of draft nerds on here. Drek has high praise for Russell.

SoCalBronco
01-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Russell said he didnt want to leave. Loves Colorado and loves working with Elway( i guess he played there in college too?)

No big deal, they have 5 others they will interview for the GM spot. Russell is probably not quite ready to be a GM now anyways. He just got that promotion this year. There are others who are qualified. Im just glad the Chargers arent promoting from within like they usually do and trying to find the best guy they can.

Someone sounds jilted.

It's ok I didn't want you anyway.......even though I really wanted you.

Very few quality people will want to work for Spanos kid. The door has closed on you guys. You wasted Rivers prime and now he is just a pick machine with no weapons. Back to the basement.

24champ
01-02-2013, 12:26 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread but Norv had some parting shots.

"Someone wrote a few weeks ago that this team is not that far away from the playoffs," Turner said. "I would disagree. I know the things that would have to get done for that to happen. If this team comes next year and they get some things done to help them get better and are able to make the playoffs, I would hope it would be a surprise to all the Chargers fans, and they would be excited about it.

"I would hope it would not be the expectation starting in August because I think you need to give whoever the guy who comes in here and the group he brings in some time to get back this thing back to where it was."

Norv said that he believed the Chargers to be the most talented team in the NFL his first three years there -- when the organization made the postseason every year -- and not so good in the final three.

"We've had too many changes," he said. "We've lost too many people."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/norv-turner-chargers-aren-t-ready-playoffs-away-235706150--nfl.html

boltaneer
01-02-2013, 01:00 AM

I'm not so sure about that. Who do you think is really running things there.

I think the Chargers were wise to ask for an interview. Nothing to lose if he says no.

Drek
01-02-2013, 02:48 AM

Russell oversees all of the player evaluation operations. He's been overseeing our college scouting since he was hired in early '09. So he's basically responsible for the quality jump we saw from the '09 to the '10 draft classes, our evaluation of guys like Vickerson and Holiday from the waiver wire, and our decision to bring in Koppen and Brooking. Hell, do you really think Fox or Elway were the guys who found and identified Chris Harris sans-combine invite? No, that was Russell and his scouting department.

Russell has as much pedigree as you could ask for in a player personnel guy. He spent all of this season as the guy putting together the actual execution of what Elway wants in theory. Before that he was the go to guy for a line of successful drafts. Before coming to Denver he was the national scout for Philly back when Philly actually drafted well. Same for when he worked as a scout in New England during their 2001-2005 peak.

This is why Russell isn't looking to leave. He's got the pedigree but he's also basically already got the job, just not the title. Maybe Elway and co. apply that title at the end of this season maybe they don't, but it's clear Russell is more concerned with his job than his title.

Blueflame
01-02-2013, 04:03 AM
It's ok for the Chargers to be looking ahead to 2013.... their season's over. But the Broncos (Russell) still have football to play and need to focus on that.

Mountain Bronco
01-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Sounds like it is the little know Elway effect...

Seriously, Elway is a likeable guy, hall of famer, commands respect, but it also sounds like he is someone that people like working for. Great combo there and enhances the Broncos ability to attract quality people in coaching, players, front office.

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 08:28 AM
They are modernizing the Front office at Dove Valley, Hallelujah! Just have been researching the Luke Richesson Hire and a lot of the structural changes that are going on over there. I would not be surprised if they have implemented a football analytics and behavioral sciences scheme this year to go along with the modern Physical and nutritional methods. Still digging there, only have a few people I still know out there and its a bye week.

Matt is smart to sit tight again and observe what works there and what does not before making a move to head his own team and FO structure. I am a big fan of what they are doing behind the scenes and hope it continues to improve.

Drek
01-02-2013, 08:40 AM
They are modernizing the Front office at Dove Valley, Hallelujah! Just have been researching the Luke Richesson Hire and a lot of the structural changes that are going on over there. I would not be surprised if they have implemented a football analytics and behavioral sciences scheme this year to go along with the modern Physical and nutritional methods. Still digging there, only have a few people I still know out there and its a bye week.

Matt is smart to sit tight again and observe what works there and what does not before making a move to head his own team and FO structure. I am a big fan of what they are doing behind the scenes and hope it continues to improve.

I doubt he's ever going to leave. Elway isn't going to run day to day player ops for a decade or something. He's here to right the ship and possibly build a bridge towards future ownership, his day to day involvement is going to peak in a couple years if it hasn't already and Russell is the ideal candidate to pick up where he's left off.

I wouldn't be surprised if Russell gets the GM title after this season, they let him pick his replacement as player personnel director, and start grooming him for when Elway moves up himself (to the owners box).

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
I doubt he's ever going to leave. Elway isn't going to run day to day player ops for a decade or something. He's here to right the ship and possibly build a bridge towards future ownership, his day to day involvement is going to peak in a couple years if it hasn't already and Russell is the ideal candidate to pick up where he's left off.

I wouldn't be surprised if Russell gets the GM title after this season, they let him pick his replacement as player personnel director, and start grooming him for when Elway moves up himself (to the owners box).

I have a ton of respect for Russell in turning down a job promotion at this level. Way too many people in the NFL take a promotion just because they want more without pausing to think if they are ready for the Job. No one wants to learn more, gain experience, or be ready for it anymore. Its just promote talent willy nilly even if it is not talent needed for the actual job description.

Russell at least has been involved in learning and experience in 3 excellent FO's. Now, he is biding his time and possibly doing exactly what you propose at best, or continuing to get better before he pursues another team. I hope you are right though, he seems to be very capable and highly thought of by the few people I have spoken about him.

CEH
01-02-2013, 09:23 AM
I bet if you read this book

Patriot Reign: Bill Belichick, the Coaches, and the Players Who Built a Champion by Micheal Holly

you will see a structure in place at Dove valley very similar to NE, Atl, even KC

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I bet if you read this book

Patriot Reign: Bill Belichick, the Coaches, and the Players Who Built a Champion by Micheal Holly

you will see a structure in place at Dove valley very similar to NE, Atl, even KC

I have read that book, and I am still trying to wrap my mind around how Dove Valley operates today. It might be similar, but I doubt its that similar.

CEH
01-02-2013, 09:36 AM
I have read that book, and I am still trying to wrap my mind around how Dove Valley operates today. It might be similar, but I doubt its that similar.

According to the local sports talk person Clough who just talked to Elway he said it's similar. Clough has a great relationship with both Elway and Shanahan

My guess would be it's closer to what ATL has set up than NE. No one is exactly like NE

Drek
01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
I have a ton of respect for Russell in turning down a job promotion at this level. Way too many people in the NFL take a promotion just because they want more without pausing to think if they are ready for the Job. No one wants to learn more, gain experience, or be ready for it anymore. Its just promote talent willy nilly even if it is not talent needed for the actual job description.

Russell at least has been involved in learning and experience in 3 excellent FO's. Now, he is biding his time and possibly doing exactly what you propose at best, or continuing to get better before he pursues another team. I hope you are right though, he seems to be very capable and highly thought of by the few people I have spoken about him.

It'll be an interesting future with him, that's for sure. What I find to be telling signs about how the current management feels about him is 1. he's been promoted since Elway took over, despite being a McDaniels hire and 2. when Xanders left there was no impetus to bring another person in or even assign the GM title to anyone.

Elway is keeping that seat open for a reason, my hunch tells me it's for when Russell finally has real suitors knocking down the door and Elway feels comfortable taking one step back.

24champ
01-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Russell is like Eric Decosta, loyal to the franchise.

Russell said he's happy in his current role with the Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN). He discussed his decision in a text message to Breer.

"I stayed because I cheered for the Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) in college. Fiercely loyal to the state and fan base and have a great staff I work with. And Elway is the best," Russell wrote. "We have a great thing going and my fam is happy and so to jump at more money and relocate didn't make sense. I'm sure lots of guys in the league will think I'm stupid but it's sort of like (Eric) DeCosta at Baltimore. I'm loyal to this place and I don't wanna leave."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121005/article/matt-russell-doesnt-want-to-leave-denver-broncos