PDA

View Full Version : Fox: Broncos will not be taking the Bye off

Kaylore
12-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Was listening to Fox's post game conference and few snippets of radio. He said the players will get Monday and Tuesday off.

Wed-Fri will be a normal practice day but be more like training camp. They are going to work on different things each week that have been a problem throughout the season. Then Saturday they will have a "team lift" which I can only assume is some kind of group exercise event of some kind. And then they will be back on Monday to prep for the first game. Also McGahee returns to practice this week.

I think this is an awesome approach. I know people want the rest, but when you're playing well you don't want to lose your edge. Not playing a full game is rest enough.

Agamemnon
12-31-2012, 02:48 PM
I approve.

24champ
12-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Peyton Manning effect.

He's all business. You get rest in the offseason.

extralife
12-31-2012, 02:52 PM
I think we could stand to give some of the vets a few more days off.

Kaylore
12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
I think we could stand to give some of the vets a few more days off.

I'm sure that practice will continue. For the guys who are dinged up, they typically get Wednesday off too. Likely they will be even more cautious since there is no game this week.

theAPAOps5
12-31-2012, 03:05 PM
So to Translate: "Peyton Manning gave me his preferred practice schedule, I have informed the team when he expects them to be there."

:)

ludo21
12-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Actually tough to predict who to prepare for too with the Bengals hot now and the Colts with momentum....

I guess gameplan for the Colts since we have not done so already?

Punisher
12-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Very Much approve this approach

RedskinBronco
12-31-2012, 03:31 PM

Me too

Smilin Assassin
12-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Was listening to Fox's post game conference and few snippets of radio. He said the players will get Monday and Tuesday off.

Wed-Fri will be a normal practice day but be more like training camp. They are going to work on different things each week that have been a problem throughout the season. Then Saturday they will have a "team lift" which I can only assume is some kind of group exercise event of some kind. And then they will be back on Monday to prep for the first game. Also McGahee returns to practice this week.

I think this is an awesome approach. I know people want the rest, but when you're playing well you don't want to lose your edge. Not playing a full game is rest enough.

Saw this, as well. I like the approach. I'm sure they'll scale it back some, but no need to just kick back.

As far as McGahee, I know I heard somewhere he won't be able to play until the AFCCG, should we make it that far.

Atwater His Ass
12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Even if MaGahee is healthy to play in the divisional round, he's not eligable until the championship week.

Doggcow
12-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Even if MaGahee is healthy to play in the divisional round, he's not eligable until the championship week.

IDK if I even want McGahee playing. The ONLY weakness this team has is untimely fumbles.

Lestat
12-31-2012, 03:49 PM
screw rest, we want our damn trophy!

Jetmeck
12-31-2012, 04:09 PM
sOUNDS LIKE a MAN with a Plan.
Damn we are lucky//////

Kaylore
12-31-2012, 04:15 PM

Right. But he can return to full team practice this week.

extralife
12-31-2012, 04:17 PM
IDK if I even want McGahee playing. The ONLY weakness this team has is untimely fumbles.

don't look now, but it's been back to back weeks of not-great numbers from Knowshon. I'll take the depth. unless you want Hillman and Ball back there?

2KBack
12-31-2012, 04:26 PM
don't look now, but it's been back to back weeks of not-great numbers from Knowshon. I'll take the depth. unless you want Hillman and Ball back there?

Wait...KM had 120+ total yards last week (best on the team) and 54 and a TD in like one half before KC stopped trying and KM took the rest of the night off.

winstoncup bronco
12-31-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm a little surpised to hear this actually. Players are always talking about how big the bye is, to get healthy and recharge for the playoffs.

It's not a necessarily bad thing to do what Fox is doing, and I'm sure the team captains are okay with it, but I hope the guys that need the break get it.

winstoncup bronco
12-31-2012, 04:29 PM

They should have put Hillman back in there in the second half when the game was out of reach. Would have liked to see him get some carries to get his confidence back.

CEH
12-31-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm a little surpised to hear this actually. Players are always talking about how big the bye is, to get healthy and recharge for the playoffs.

It's not a necessarily bad thing to do what Fox is doing, and I'm sure the team captains are okay with it, but I hope the guys that need the break get it.

Fox doesn't want players to hop on over to another state i.e. Vegas baby

Legitimate concern for young millionaires

SonOfLe-loLang
12-31-2012, 05:08 PM

Its not like they are running the iron man. Its a padless practice

BroncoMan4ever
12-31-2012, 05:09 PM

It's not going to be like the two or three a day practices during camp. It will be fine tuning, keeping the engine running smoothly and making sure no one gets lazy. Just not having to play this weekend will be a huge rest for the team

BroncoFox
12-31-2012, 05:15 PM
They are professional athletes. I think they'll be ok with a couple of days of practice. We have had no issue resting week to week, winning 11 straight. I don't know why they'd suddenly need an entire week off. Rest a bit.. keep in practice.. you have an extra week to work on those things giving you troubles. Take advantage of that I think.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
12-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Peyton Manning effect.

He's all business. You get rest in the offseason.

More like, "You'll rest when you're dead!"

broncosteven
12-31-2012, 05:27 PM

This was my thought, he wanted to keep them out of trouble and their minds on their job. I think it is a great idea.

errand
12-31-2012, 05:36 PM
So to Translate: "Peyton Manning gave me his preferred practice schedule, I have informed the team when he expects them to be there."

:)

While a lot of this team's improvement into becoming the best the AFC has to offer is due to Manning, Fox is a pretty decent coach in his own right.

Yesterday was his 100th career win, and he's one of only 3 HC's who have inherited a losing team and lead it to consecutive division titles.

When asked if Hillman not seeing the field anymore had to do with his fumble, Fox said "I'd say that is fair"

baja
12-31-2012, 05:49 PM

Yes it's more about keeping them from being somewhere else than practicing.

STAYING FOCUSED = JOB ONE

Dr. Broncenstein
12-31-2012, 06:13 PM
I hope Hillman and Holliday are put through some kind of ball-security boot camp this week. They could really help this playoff run, almost as much as they could hurt it.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-31-2012, 06:15 PM
I hope Hillman and Holliday are put through some kind of ball-security boot camp this week. They could really help this playoff run, almost as much as they could hurt it.

Wasn't that the only time Hillman has fumbled for us? **** happens, not sure its indicative of a bigger problem.

theAPAOps5
12-31-2012, 06:16 PM
While a lot of this team's improvement into becoming the best the AFC has to offer is due to Manning, Fox is a pretty decent coach in his own right.

Yesterday was his 100th career win, and he's one of only 3 HC's who have inherited a losing team and lead it to consecutive division titles.

When asked if Hillman not seeing the field anymore had to do with his fumble, Fox said "I'd say that is fair"

In other words, Peyton told Fox his schedule, Fox told the rest of the team.

baja
12-31-2012, 06:16 PM

Ain't that the truth.

Also it looks like fumbling gets you some serious doghouse time.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Wasn't that the only time Hillman has fumbled for us? **** happens, not sure its indicative of a bigger problem.

That fumble almost cost us Franklin, and put Manning in harm's way as well. I would have put the kid back in when we had the commanding lead, but Fox was having none of it.

broncosteven
12-31-2012, 06:33 PM
That fumble almost cost us Franklin, and put Manning in harm's way as well. I would have put the kid back in when we had the commanding lead, but Fox was having none of it.

I like the fact that Fox will send messages to guys and they get through

R8R H8R
12-31-2012, 06:34 PM

We lost TD in 1999 because of a Griese int. I am sure that is the kind of thing
Fox wants Hilman and the young guys to learn from their mistakes. That not only can you cost the team a game, you might cost a teammate his career.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-31-2012, 06:41 PM
We lost TD in 1999 because of a Griese int. I am sure that is the kind of thing
Fox wants Hilman and the young guys to learn from their mistakes. That not only cn you cost the team a game, you might cost a teammate his career.

You're talking like he drove the team bus drunk. He fumbled once

Old Dude
12-31-2012, 06:45 PM
I think it's good that these guys realize it's far from won. Lots of things to work on and this is the pefect time to do it.

R8R H8R
12-31-2012, 06:47 PM
You're talking like he drove the team bus drunk. He fumbled once

Tell it to Fox. He is the one that told reporters today that Hilman not only swung momentum to the Chiefs, he put Franklin and potentially Manning in harms way. I just repeated what he said, but added the TD & Greise reference, which is a fact, btw.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Tell it to Fox. He is the one that told reporters today that Hilman not only swung momentum to the Chiefs, he put Franklin and potentially Manning in harms way. I just repeated what he said, but added the TD & Greise reference, which is a fact, btw.

Just because he said it, combined with the TD trivia, doesn't mean it makes a ton of sense. Every player fumbles. Every player knows it's a bad thing. If it was a recurring issue, that might be one thing, but pinning players health on that is a little odd to me

BroncoFanDoug
12-31-2012, 06:58 PM

I think it was more the way he lost the ball. He was not protecting it. No defender even touched the ball.

There is a big difference between a defender putting a helmet into exactly the right place and causing a fumble, and a running back losing the ball falling down. The first will happen no matter what you do. The second is a correctable mistake.

Check out how much better KM is protecting the ball since his return. Two hand cradle anytime he gets in traffic. Fox is sending a message, and here is hoping Hillman gets it. He has talent - now he must prove he is coachable. He needs to take care of the ball better and improve in pass protection. If he wants it he can do it. Let's see where his head is.

OCBronco
12-31-2012, 07:00 PM
The scary thing is that the offense still isn't hitting on all cylinders yet. The team hasn't yet put together a complete game, and hasn't yet played their best football. I think it's a great move. Keep everyone focused on improving and taking the next step.

R8R H8R
12-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Just because he said it, combined with the TD trivia, doesn't mean it makes a ton of sense. Every player fumbles. Every player knows it's a bad thing. If it was a recurring issue, that might be one thing, but pinning players health on that is a little odd to me

He is sending a message; that is all. I have no doubt that Hilman got the message and will be back to his role a week from Saturday.

bronco610
12-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Considering Fox benched Moreno for 6 weeks should tell you something about how he coaches. What we don't know is other circumstances. I was in sales for years and while some guys were talented and producers, everyone knew that some of these guys were out partying almost every night and lacked character and this made it tougher on them when they did screw up with the bosses. We as fans always look at what we know and decide what we would do. However without knowing the individual or working with them everyday who is to say there isnt more going on behind the scenes as far as getting a player to focus than we know. Hillman may have needed a wake up call like this to get his mind more focused. I believed he was more talented than he has shown this season and may need a wakeup call. As far as the rest of the team. better practice than reading about them getting DUIs or in trouble elsewhere.

Kaylore
12-31-2012, 10:04 PM
I know fumbles happen, but we've lost a lot of fumbles and recovered fewer. When you turn over the ball, only bad things happen. And turnover margin is one of the biggest factors in wins and loses. I also hope it's a point of emphasis this week.

Agamemnon
12-31-2012, 10:48 PM
I know fumbles happen, but we've lost a lot of fumbles and recovered fewer. When you turn over the ball, only bad things happen. And turnover margin is one of the biggest factors in wins and loses. I also hope it's a point of emphasis this week.

You know it will be. It's one of the few discernible weaknesses on this team, and I think Fox is absolutely sick of it. I tend to think Hillman is getting a lot more heat than he probably would be otherwise simply due to the fact that it has been an issue for the whole team all season. Moreno took care of his ****, and I think Fox expects everyone else, especially the other backs, to do the same.

BroncoMan4ever
12-31-2012, 11:08 PM
More like, "You'll rest when you're dead!"

Or in the case of Peyton, "I will rest when my head rolls off my shoulders"

ZONA
12-31-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm sure the "practices" will mostly be walk through stuff and some film. I don't think you risk full practice and an injury at this stage. They know what they're doing. We'll be ready.

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Jacob Tamme was ESPN radio with Les and Nalen. He said they are working on situations this week. He also said they are studying film of all three teams this week.

Irish Stout
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Jacob Tamme was ESPN radio with Les and Nalen. He said they are working on situations this week. He also said they are studying film of all three teams this week.

Think they'll all get together this weekend with some pizza and gatorade and watch the games? Thats what I do with all my friends. We sit around and analyze the play on the field and why we despise some teams more than others. Seems like it would be more fun to do with 60 other guys rather than just my only two friends.

One of my two friends is my dog.

I'm so lonely.

Whats up with Tamme? He is on like tv and radio all the time around here anymore? I guess Dreesen is on the radio a lot too.

El Guapo
01-02-2013, 08:06 PM

Agreed. Keep working, it ain't over yet. We definitely don't want to pull a Romo/Witten.

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/94/fef8f2d78849e7812d2a280a3c359714/l.jpg

RedskinBronco
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Seems like teams are learning from the past. 49ers are also not taking off and I believe one other team. Atlanta maybe? I forgot.

R8R H8R
01-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Seems like teams are learning from the past. 49ers are also not taking off and I believe one other team. Atlanta maybe? I forgot.

It looks like the GB debacle last year has the smart coaches real paranoid about complacency, as it should.

Armchair Bronco
01-03-2013, 01:51 AM

Nice!

spiralism
01-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Actually tough to predict who to prepare for too with the Bengals hot now and the Colts with momentum....

I guess gameplan for the Colts since we have not done so already?

Pretty much. Though both gameplans take care of themselves imo. Bengals - Stop AJ Green and Geno Atkins. Colts - Leave it to Peyton, he has a point to prove.

Kaylore
01-03-2013, 07:16 AM
The Bye is usually seen is a chance to rest. I think Fox is using it the right way. Using it for practice on things that you need to work on but didn't have time because you had to use the week for the game plan for the team you're playing. Now they can work on some things they haven't seen and polish some of the areas we are weak at. I am curious to see how it pays off.

CEH
01-03-2013, 07:19 AM
DJ and Von did make it over to Vegas for New Years

Dedhed
01-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Exactly. If we take care of the football, I don't think there is anyone who can hang with us for 60 minutes on both sides of the ball.