PDA

View Full Version : McCoy AND JDR prepping for Bye Week HC gigs

UberBroncoMan
12-29-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/mccoy-jdr-reportedly-prepping-for-bye-week-job-interviews-lard

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/game-of-multi-level-musical-chairs-is-unfolding/

"in Denver we’re told that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio are each getting their ducks in a row"

It's been known to most that McCoy wants to be a HC. Guess JDR is looking to be one and done here as well. His kid just graduated HS and is going to Alabama. Nothing left to keep him here.

We have the worst ****ing luck with DC's. Good or bad (mostly bad), they're all gone in a year.

We'll survive fine without McCoy imo, but losing JDR will suck massive balls.

With so many HC jobs opening up this off-season, it will be a miracle to keep one of them.

broncosteven
12-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I would hate to lose McCoy, I think he has a better shot at being a HC than Allen. I know PM can run the O and they can find someone PM has worked with in the past to fill the void but what McCoy was able to do with Tebow last year was amazing.

JDR is a great DC, I would be surprised if he left, I figured he would take a couple years as a DC to rest up and restore his rep before jumping back into the HC game. Didn't he say somewhere he had no interest in being a HC earlier in the year?

Tim
12-29-2012, 02:13 PM
JDR may do an interveiw or two but he will be in denver next season.

broncocalijohn
12-29-2012, 02:14 PM
We need to keep the DC in check for awhile. JDR was not doing very well as a head coach so I expect the Faiders to be calling him after the season ends.

Bmore Manning
12-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Tom Moore as our OC next season, you heard it here first.
and...
Del Rio will still be our DC.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-29-2012, 02:18 PM
One way to keep it from happening is take it all the way to the SB. There's plenty of examples where teams didnt want to wait that long to fill positions.

Then again, there could be well over 10 teams trying to hire HCs.

Would be terrible if JDR left. Fox has alot of influence on this defense though. McCoy leaves its almost certain Tom Moore is brought in for the final couple years left in Mannings career

The trend has and will be new HC blood. Not retreads. That's a plus in keeping JDR

Cito Pelon
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
KC might try to raid the Bronco coaching staff.

winstoncup bronco
12-29-2012, 02:31 PM
One way to keep it from happening is take it all the way to the SB. There's plenty of examples where teams didnt want to wait that long to fill positions.

Then again, there could be well over 10 teams trying to hire HCs.

Would be terrible if JDR left. Fox has alot of influence on this defense though. McCoy leaves its almost certain Tom Moore is brought in for the final couple years left in Mannings career

The trend has and will be new HC blood. Not retreads. That's a plus in keeping JDR

This is what I believe as well. I can't imagine either of these guys being serious candidates, unless it's a KC or SD following the Raiders suit of hiring away one of our coaches primarily to weaken us. McCoy is indistinguishable IMO, and JDR is only a year off an unremarkable, almost boring, stint in JAX.

ColoradoDarin
12-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Does Khan want to hire McCoy and pair him with Tebow again in Jacksonville? It'd be interesting that JDR would go from HC of Jax to DC of Denver and then McCoy goes from OC in Denver to HC of Jax the following year...

UberBroncoMan
12-29-2012, 02:54 PM
This is what I believe as well. I can't imagine either of these guys being serious candidates, unless it's a KC or SD following the Raiders suit of hiring away one of our coaches primarily to weaken us. McCoy is indistinguishable IMO, and JDR is only a year off an unremarkable, almost boring, stint in JAX.

His winning % as the HC in JAX was almost the same as Fox's in Carolina. Just saying. He only had 5 less wins and the same number of losses. One less playoff appearance too.

Nwp-Apap
12-29-2012, 02:59 PM
and...

Tom Moore already has a job with the Titans. They hired him like a month ago

SoCalBronco
12-29-2012, 03:00 PM
It's only rational. The earnings for HC is much higher than for coordinators. Anyone hoping JDR would stay here because he is "happy" doesn't understand how reality works. No rational person is going to turn down a HC gig that quadruples his salary.

winstoncup bronco
12-29-2012, 03:06 PM
His winning % as the HC in JAX was almost the same as Fox's in Carolina. Just saying. He only had 5 less wins and the same number of losses. One less playoff appearance too.

Yeah, but I think Fox was hired to be a steady hand, to be a stabilizing force while Elway guided the franchise from the depths of hell. I don't think Fox would be on an NFL sideline even today if the circumstances weren't as such here.

Looking at JDR's record in JAX, I see he has 3 winning seasons, but I honestly don't remember them being a team I thought was on the rise, even during that one 12-4 year. The proof of that I guess, being that they never rose.

Kaylore
12-29-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree with most others here. I think McCoy is gone, but JDR won't leave unless it was for a great gig.

Kaylore
12-29-2012, 03:14 PM
It's only rational. The earnings for HC is much higher than for coordinators. Anyone hoping JDR would stay here because he is "happy" doesn't understand how reality works. No rational person is going to turn down a HC gig that quadruples his salary.

I can make a case for him staying.

1. He gets one more year of Jags pay, I believe.

2. He's already been a head coach. He isn't going to run to the first available place just because the pay is better. Having done it before, he will be more cautious and look for a good situation.

3. If we go to the SB, outside of him pulling a Petrino, the positions may be filled by the time our season ends.

elsid13
12-29-2012, 03:16 PM
I agree with most others here. I think McCoy is gone, but JDR won't leave unless it was for a great gig.

It the NFL, there really isn't that bad of a job. The Head Coaches all get multimillion dollar deals plus any endorsements that get on the side. If someone offers Del Rio a head coaching job, he will take it. It's stupid not to.

CEH
12-29-2012, 03:19 PM
If McCoy leaves, I would not mind Norval being our OC. He is a top notch OC and he knows the AFCW

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2012, 03:28 PM

2. He's already been a head coach. He isn't going to run to the first available place just because the pay is better. Having done it before, he will be more cautious and look for a good situation.

3. If we go to the SB, outside of him pulling a Petrino, the positions may be filled by the time our season ends.

With 8-10 jobs open. #3 is only way he stays

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2012, 03:30 PM
If McCoy leaves, I would not mind Norval being our OC. He is a top notch OC and he knows the AFCW

Does he fit with Manning.

BroncoMan4ever
12-29-2012, 03:44 PM

I agree. I look at his interviewing as a way of keeping his name as a viable option for a HC gig down the road.

Bmore Manning
12-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Tom Moore already has a job with the Titans. They hired him like a month ago

He's a consultant.. He just recently said he would like to return to the sidelines.. Where do you think he would want to go first?

OrangeSe7en
12-29-2012, 03:48 PM
As long as Fox keeps bringing in quality DCs, I'll deal with losing guys (even though Id rather keep someone good). It's good to have a coach who doesn't feel threatened by having other competent coaches. It's good to have a coach who embraces competent coaches.

24champ
12-29-2012, 04:16 PM
For the sake of our players on the defensive side, I hope JDR sticks around for some continuity.

UberBroncoMan
12-29-2012, 04:24 PM
For the sake of our players on the defensive side, I hope JDR sticks around for some continuity.

If Elway/Bowlen are smart, they're already offering JDR a massive increase in salary to go with an assistant HC title.

TheChamp24
12-29-2012, 04:40 PM
I really, really hope JDR stays. We have the looks of building a force for years, but we need some continuity.
I mean, look at LeBeau in Pittsburgh.

Lestat
12-29-2012, 04:43 PM

well in fairness to Fox though, Richardson is kinda cheap.

UberBroncoMan
12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
well in fairness to Fox though, Richardson is kinda cheap.

Was as bad (likely worse) in Jax for Del Rio.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-ownersrankingspartone072208

“He’s totally and completely out for his bottom line, and the league’s best interest is not in his mind at all.” Echoed a second owner: “He’s been actively trying to sell for a year-and-a-half, and he’s totally checked out. He knows it won’t work in Jacksonville.”

Point is, there's a ton of openings this off-season and if Del Rio wants a job he'll probably get it. I just hope it's not in San Diego or KC. Best we can do is pay JDR a near HC salary to stick around. Fox is only getting $3.25 million a year here. It wouldn't be hard for us to secure JDR on a financial level.

Lestat
12-29-2012, 05:37 PM

“He’s totally and completely out for his bottom line, and the league’s best interest is not in his mind at all.” Echoed a second owner: “He’s been actively trying to sell for a year-and-a-half, and he’s totally checked out. He knows it won’t work in Jacksonville.”

Point is, there's a ton of openings this off-season and if Del Rio wants a job he'll probably get it. I just hope it's not in San Diego or KC. Best we can do is pay JDR a near HC salary to stick around. Fox is only getting $3.25 million a year here. It wouldn't be hard for us to secure JDR on a financial level.

if he goes to KC or SD he is dead to me.

24champ
12-29-2012, 05:44 PM

Does Fox get any bonuses for performance? Hes won the division twice along with a playoff victory.

Ratboy
12-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I like JDR and hope he sticks around for a long time.

Why can't we find our own Dick LeBeau?

loborugger
12-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Dick LeBeau and Monte Kiffin agree with this statement.

Bacchus
12-29-2012, 06:50 PM
and...

I heard this weeks ago when he was visiting.

Bacchus
12-29-2012, 06:51 PM

Plus JDR had to contend with Manning and the Colts every single year.

baja
12-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Maybe we should let Fox go and hire McCoy as the Broncos head coach.

Bmore Manning
12-29-2012, 07:10 PM

"Why you mad at Fox bro?"

Bmore Manning
12-29-2012, 07:11 PM
I heard this weeks ago when he was visiting.

I knew this when Peyton decided to join Denver, that Moore would be apart of the staff sooner rather than later.

BroncoMan4ever
12-29-2012, 07:13 PM

If we are switching Fox with anyone currently I would go with Studesville over the overrated McCoy. The thought of McCoy as our HC makes me want to projectile vomit.

Mogulseeker
12-29-2012, 07:15 PM
and...

This is ideal, IMO.

Bmore Manning
12-29-2012, 07:24 PM
This is ideal, IMO.

If not Moore I would entertain Wisenhunt as our OC. He and Peyton have a good relationship, and he was very instrumental for Kurt Warner. They had a good offense with Kurt, and I could see him working well with Peyton, DT, and Decker.

Mogulseeker
12-29-2012, 08:12 PM
If not Moore I would entertain Wisenhunt as our OC. He and Peyton have a good relationship, and he was very instrumental for Kurt Warner. They had a good offense with Kurt, and I could see him working well with Peyton, DT, and Decker.

Yeah, but people were speculating on Moore coming to Denver a LONG time ago.

I wouldn't mind bringing Norv in at OC.

I think Del Rio stays... he'll be a hot prospect and I'm sure he'll wait it out until he finds a good fit.

McCoy pulled out of Miami for better prosepcts, did he not?

bowtown
12-29-2012, 08:15 PM

Baja off the meds. Come back when you dose next and are less insufferable.

UberBroncoMan
12-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Dick LeBeau and Monte Kiffin agree with this statement.

They're also in their 70's. The stress and responsibility of a HC gig isn't exactly something they've been looking for. LeBeau was the HC of the Bengals in 2000 for a few years and Kiffin has never wanted to be one (not every coach WANTS to be a HC). Del Rio is only 49 and has shown a desire to be a HC having already been one.

I just want him to stick around for a few more seasons. Even if he has to go at some point I just want continuity on the D side of the ball.

baja
12-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Baja off the meds. Come back when you dose next and are less insufferable.

You're way too easy.

Fedaykin
12-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I'd sell my soul to keep JDR for at least 3 more years.

Sadly, since it doesn't exist it's a terrible currency so we'll have to come up with something better I suppose.

Jetmeck
12-29-2012, 08:47 PM

In my humble opinion if he talks about leaving pony up a massive pay raise to keep a quality DC here for at least another two years.

Some continuity with an excellent DC and another good draft could get us to the big dance the next 2-3 years, year after year.

It's worth the dough to keep him here....................

Br0nc0Buster
12-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Didnt Del Rio just say that he was glad he doesnt have to worry about scheming to block guys like Freeney and Mathis anymore

I thought he said comments suggesting he was relived not to have to worry about scheming for the offense anymore

I hope we could keep a guy after 1 year
We need JDR to stay

Bacchus
12-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I'd sell my soul to keep JDR for at least 3 more years.

Sadly, since it doesn't exist it's a terrible currency so we'll have to come up with something better I suppose.

I would too, but i already sold my soul for that small cheese pizza back in '89.

Bacchus
12-29-2012, 09:35 PM
In my humble opinion if he talks about leaving pony up a massive pay raise to keep a quality DC here for at least another two years.

Some continuity with an excellent DC and another good draft could get us to the big dance the next 2-3 years, year after year.

It's worth the dough to keep him here....................

Give him a raise and the title of assistant head coach and the promise to promote him after Fox leaves, but that would be unfair to Fox. Maybe there is a gem coach already coaching LBers or the secondary that is ready to step up. We can hope anyway.

Broncojef
12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
I still can't see how Del Rio isn't gone. I think a lot of
You are kidding yourselves.

Bacchus
12-29-2012, 09:49 PM
If McCoy leaves I'd love to see Denver bring in Hue Jackson.

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2012, 09:52 PM
I still can't see how Del Rio isn't gone. I think a lot of
You are kidding yourselves.

agree

extralife
12-29-2012, 10:05 PM
If JDR goes we should just give up and name Champ defensive coordinator.

I'm about 60% serious

huh??
12-29-2012, 10:05 PM
if he goes to KC or SD he is dead to me.

Ha! Ha! Truuuuu dat!!

ZONA
12-29-2012, 10:17 PM
If they both leave then we'll replace them. Just as JDR was a HC that was fired and now doing well as a coordinator, we can do the same again. some of the HC's going to be fired are in that same category. I mean, there is a reason why they become a HC in the 1st place. Usually they were a coordinator somewhere and did very well.

And while alot of praise should go to the coordinators in Denver, don't forget the players on the field are still what's most important. I think earlier this year Von Miller was asked what was different with JDR as the coordinator compared to last year and he said not that much, he just made us believe how special we could be. Don't know if that's an exact quote but I know it's pretty darn close.

uplink
12-29-2012, 10:34 PM
The more the broncos coaches get promotions with other teams the better it is for the broncos. The good reputation of the team means good coaches will want to come to Denver and work hard to get a promotion.

baja
12-29-2012, 10:47 PM
If they both leave then we'll replace them. Just as JDR was a HC that was fired and now doing well as a coordinator, we can do the same again. some of the HC's going to be fired are in that same category. I mean, there is a reason why they become a HC in the 1st place. Usually they were a coordinator somewhere and did very well.

And while alot of praise should go to the coordinators in Denver, don't forget the players on the field are still what's most important. I think earlier this year Von Miller was asked what was different with JDR as the coordinator compared to last year and he said not that much, he just made us believe how special we could be. Don't know if that's an exact quote but I know it's pretty darn close.

Exactly! We got what every franchise wants a great football mind at the top. Elway found these coaches and he will find their replacements if they leave.

errand
12-29-2012, 10:52 PM
"Why you mad at Fox bro?"

Not sure, but I think it had something to do with some "classless" thing Baja claims Fox and Elway pulled during the offseason.....

UberBroncoMan
12-29-2012, 11:05 PM
If JDR goes we should just give up and name Champ defensive coordinator.

I'm about 60% serious

Watch him retire the following year.

Bmore Manning
12-30-2012, 05:08 AM
Not sure, but I think it had something to do with some "classless" thing Baja claims Fox and Elway pulled during the offseason.....

TT huh..?

cutthemdown
12-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Watch SD hire Jack Del Rio. The rest of the division will do anything possible to try and get in on whatever is working so well in Denver. Still the truth is that great players make coaches look good. if we truly have great players now we can hire another good defensive coach and keep on chugging. LOL Rex Ryan anyone? j/k but you never know.

cutthemdown
12-30-2012, 05:36 AM
Also though those coaches should be watching film in the bye weeks like you know Bill Belli**** is doing. If I was an owner when i hired coaches i would tell them before hand no interviewing until after Broncos season is over. Then maybe pay them a tad more for the trouble.

Punisher
12-30-2012, 05:55 AM
I just don't want JDR to go, McCoy can leave if he wants.

winstoncup bronco
12-30-2012, 06:23 AM
I don't necessarily think it's a fait accompli that JDR is gone.

Ironically, I think I would be more worried if he already wasn't a head coach. This is only his first year coming off 8 years of overall mediocrity in JAX at best. What rebuilding team would want that? His prowess with defensive personnel is nothing new. If he was a younger, up and coming guy looking for a chance, I'd be more worried.

I'm sure someday he will get another chance, but I just don't believe that time is now.

Mile High 81
12-30-2012, 07:53 AM
McCoy will get his shot. del rio could leave but i think he wants to pick a good team(no team where he has to rebuild the whole organisation). so if there is not the right offer out there we still could have a chance to keep him.

SportinOne
12-30-2012, 08:13 AM
The problem with being in "win now" mode is that we don't have the luxury of developing a younger defensive coordinator. So I think that we are always going to have this problem. Although it would be nice to find an up-and-coming talent and have him stick around into Brock's years. I don't know if that is realistic, though.

winstoncup bronco
12-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Browns looking for fresh start

Cleveland is expected to make a major run at a college coach such as Oregons Chip Kelly or Penn States Bill O'Brien or search for a bright young offensive NFL mind.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8793005/cleveland-browns-eye-fresh-offensive-mind-coach-sources-say

Tombstone RJ
12-30-2012, 08:37 AM
If McCoy leaves (and this is probably a lock that he will leave) then I'd love for the Broncos to pick up Norv Turner and not Tom Moore. As for JDR leaving, I think he's gone if its to a solid franchise that isn't in a total rebuild. So it has to be to a team that has a good QB in place and this is why Sandy Eggo will attract many coaches. Say what you want about SD but Rivers is a franchise QB and that will make all the difference in the world to the next coach, bank on it.

HAT
12-30-2012, 08:39 AM
JDR isn't going anywhere in 2013. He's biding his time until Kiffin gets fired at USC.

That's his next gig.....book it.

CEH
12-30-2012, 08:40 AM
If McCoy leaves (and this is probably a lock that he will leave) then I'd love for the Broncos to pick up Norv Turner and not Tom Moore. As for JDR leaving, I think he's gone if its to a solid franchise that isn't in a total rebuild. So it has to be to a team that has a good QB in place and this is why Sandy Eggo will attract many coaches. Say what you want about SD but Rivers is a franchise QB and that will make all the difference in the world to the next coach, bank on it.

Normally teams that hire a JDR is a team that had a offensive minded coach this year

SD and who else had a offensive minded coach?

I agree on Norval. He's the offensive equal of Wade Phillips. Damn good OC

Tombstone RJ
12-30-2012, 08:44 AM
JDR isn't going anywhere in 2013. He's biding his time until Kiffin gets fired at USC.

That's his next gig.....book it.

this makes a lot of sense. I'd much rather be the HC of a major college program than an NFL team. Same pay, way less stress. I hope you are correct and JDR sticks around until Kiffin gets the boot.

wait, didn't USC just fire their HC?

Dedhed
12-30-2012, 08:50 AM

Gross. McCoy is overrated.

baja
12-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Gross. McCoy is overrated.

Fox is a very likable guy and was a perfect selection by Elway after the chaos left behind by McD's abrupt departure. The soothing player's coach Fox has righted the ship and the locker room made whole. When a conversation comes up about brilliant innovative HCs I doubt Fox's name will be mentioned.

It might be time to consider what kind of head coach Denver needs going forward. I am not saying Fox should be fired but I would want Elway to at least weigh the merits of moving McCoy to the top spot. I doubt this scenario would happen but when it comes to making the Broncos better everything must be considered and I'll bet you Elway has at least thought about this.

Dedhed
12-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Fox is a very likable guy and was a perfect selection by Elway after the chaos left behind by McD's abrupt departure. The soothing player's coach Fox has righted the ship and the locker room made whole. When a conversation comes up about brilliant innovative HCs I doubt Fox's name will be mentioned.

It might be time to consider what kind of head coach Denver needs going forward. I am not saying Fox should be fired but I would want Elway to at least weigh the merits of moving McCoy to the top spot. I doubt this scenario would happen but when it comes to making the Broncos better everything must be considered and I'll bet you Elway has at least thought about this.
I see your point, but who of these "Brilliant innovative HCs" is storming the top ranks of the NFL right now?

baja
12-30-2012, 09:17 AM
I see your point, but who of these "Brilliant innovative HCs" is storming the top ranks of the NFL right now?

Many think McCoy is one.

The point of my first post that you quoted was is it time to consider offering McCoy the top spot as a way to not lose him.

Tombstone RJ
12-30-2012, 09:21 AM

Fox isn't going anywhere any time soon. Maybe after Manning retires Fox may go but that is a few years away. I love it how many posters here poo-poo the Fox hire when he's proven to be one of the better HCs over the last 10-15 years. He got to the SB with Jake Delhomme as his QB and only lost by a field goal to a team that video taped the Panther's walk thru before the game.

I've supported the Fox hire from day 1, and he's not dissappointed me. I think Elway also know's Fox's value to this franchise and he will not look to replace Fox until the Broncos either have a few bad seasons in a row or Fox retires.

Dedhed
12-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Many think McCoy is one.

The point of my first post that you quoted was is it time to consider offering McCoy the top spot as a way to not lose him.

Many thought McDaniels was one; me included. I don't see anything at all special about McCoy.

The answer to your point is a resounding no, IMO. I don't think this team misses a beat without McCoy. I don't think the same can be said of JDR or Fox.

rideco
12-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Screw giving McCoy the HC job let him walk. JDR is really the one we need to keep. Open up the coffers and pay the man 1$ less then Fox makes with the "promise" once fox goes it his job. After that ask Manning who he wants for and OC and tell them "hey PFM wants you to be his OC." IF the guy has a clue he will be on the next flight to Den. and we will be on our way next year without missing a beat. Here is the way I see it. We have a 3 or so year window with PFM. We need to do anything we can to push now to win SB's. Once PFM is gone then all deals with coaches can get reevaluated and move on to the next era of Broncos football. But as of right now we need to sell out and pay JDR to stay and do everything we can to keep him for the next two or 3 years. After that we will just have to see.

baja
12-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Fox isn't going anywhere any time soon. Maybe after Manning retires Fox may go but that is a few years away. I love it how many posters here poo-poo the Fox hire when he's proven to be one of the better HCs over the last 10-15 years. He got to the SB with Jake Delhomme as his QB and only lost by a field goal to a team that video taped the Panther's walk thru before the game.

I've supported the Fox hire from day 1, and he's not dissappointed me. I think Elway also know's Fox's value to this franchise and he will not look to replace Fox until the Broncos either have a few bad seasons in a row or Fox retires.

I like Fox too and you are probably right saying he is not going anywhere. He has done and is doing a great job.

Now that the team has been brought together and the crisis put to rest is he the best choice going forward? I don't know. Needs do change.

Tombstone RJ
12-30-2012, 09:36 AM
I like Fox too and you are probably right saying he is not going anywhere. He has done and is doing a great job.

Now that the team has been brought together and the crisis put to rest is he the best choice going forward? I don't know. Needs do change.

I'm not sure what your point is other than you have no point.

baja
12-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Many thought McDaniels was one; me included. I don't see anything at all special about McCoy.

The answer to your point is a resounding no, IMO. I don't think this team misses a beat without McCoy. I don't think the same can be said of JDR or Fox.

Actually I agree. I am just putting forward a talking point. We might have a different position if we were privy to the information available to Elway. I do know this McCoy is highly respected around the league and will be highly sought after.

Dedhed
12-30-2012, 09:45 AM

It sounds like you're advocating change for change's sake, and your premise doesn't make any sense.

Here are the HCs going to the playoffs;

John Fox
Bill Belichick
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthy
Marvin Lewis
Leslie Frasier*
Mike Smith
Tom Coughlin*
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Mike Shanahan*
Chuck Pagano**
Pete Carroll
Lovie Smith*

From that list I see no sense in going with a "new blood" young coach, they aren't represented here at all.

bowtown
12-30-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure what your point is other than you have no point.

His point is that sometimes a team's needs change and they no longer require a coach who can get them to 12-3 and in Super Bowl contention. He's saying he'd like us to hire Norv Turner, I think.

baja
12-30-2012, 09:47 AM
It sounds like you're advocating change for change's sake, and your premise doesn't make any sense.

Here are the HCs going to the playoffs;

John Fox
Bill Belichick
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthy
Marvin Lewis
Leslie Frasier*

This whole conversation started as a way to keep McCoy in Denver. Either you missed that or I am missing your point.

baja
12-30-2012, 09:54 AM
His point is that sometimes a team's needs change and they no longer require a coach who can get them to 12-3 and in Super Bowl contention. He's saying he'd like us to hire Norv Turner, I think.

Actually I am wondering who is more valuable to the Denver Broncos John Fox or Mike McCoy. If it is McCoy than one way to keep him is give him the HC job.

I really isn't that hard to understand is it?

Do you guys ever have stradigy meetings where all scenarios are discussed? Seems like the concept is foreign to some of you.

razorwire77
12-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Losing JDR would suck, but my guess is after testing the waters that we retain his services for one more year. I don't think he's going to bolt for the first traditional dumpster fire team NFL coaching gig that pops up. However if a higher profile team (Philly, Jets, Chargers, Cowboys etc.) wants him, he's probably gone.

McCoy I think is gone if he gets offered any NFL head coaching gig. I'm not terribly sad about that. We have Peyton. Have fun overseeing the Blane Suckbert/Tebow circus in Jacksonville or dealing with crazy ass Bud Adams.

Dedhed
12-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Actually I am wondering who is more valuable to the Denver Broncos John Fox or Mike McCoy.

To me that's like asking whether Manning or Prater is more valuable to the Broncos.

Manning= Fox
McCoy= Prater

baja
12-30-2012, 10:09 AM
To me that's like asking whether Manning or Prater is more valuable to the Broncos.

Manning= Fox
McCoy= Prater

I am sure you are right to date. My question is it true going forward?

Dedhed
12-30-2012, 10:14 AM
I am sure you are right to date. My question is it true going forward?

My answer is provided in information already given.

Hamrob
12-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I hope that we don't pass up on another JDR....say Turner for offense, or Ryan for defense...because we try to get cute and promote from within.

Offense: Studs or Gase
Defense: Smith or Rodgers

Sure, that may be what a guy like Gase or Studs is looking for...but, that doesn't make them a better Coordinater than a guy like Turner. Just saying.

BroncoMan4ever
12-30-2012, 11:17 AM
This whole conversation started as a way to keep McCoy in Denver. Either you missed that or I am missing your point.

I get your point about keeping McCoy and your thought of giving him the top spot as he may be more innovative than Fox. However, who can really say what Fox is or isn't as a HC? He effectively had his balls chopped off in Carolina and wasn't running HIS team, he was like a baby-sitter to Richardson's team.

BroncoMan4ever
12-30-2012, 11:21 AM
I hope that we don't pass up on another JDR....say Turner for offense, or Ryan for defense...because we try to get cute and promote from within.

Offense: Studs or Gase
Defense: Smith or Rodgers

Sure, that may be what a guy like Gase or Studs is looking for...but, that doesn't make them a better Coordinater than a guy like Turner. Just saying.
Considering we went out and brought in JDR after Allen left says Elway and Fox want the best for the job not a random fill in guy from within

baja
12-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I get your point about keeping McCoy and your thought of giving him the top spot as he may be more innovative than Fox. However, who can really say what Fox is or isn't as a HC? He effectively had his balls chopped off in Carolina and wasn't running HIS team, he was like a baby-sitter to Richardson's team.

We can never really know but that can be said about most topics discussed on a message board.

Does Fox strike an a guy that thinks on his feet on gameday like Shanny for example or does he strike you more as an old school conservative coach?

baja
12-30-2012, 11:25 AM

We can never really know but that can be said about most topics discussed on a message board.

Does Fox strike an a guy that thinks on his feet on gameday like Shanny for example or does he strike you more as an old school conservative coach?

BroncoMan4ever
12-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Fox strikes me as a leader who knows how to delegate to his assistants and get the respect, admiration and best from those he leads. He doesn't have the genius of a Shanahan, but he is a better leader, and realistically there aren't that many guys with a mind like Mike has.

baja
12-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Fox strikes me as a leader who knows how to delegate to his assistants and get the respect, admiration and best from those he leads. He doesn't have the genius of a Shanahan, but he is a better leader, and realistically there aren't that many guys with a mind like Mike has.

I agree with everything you said. Good response. ;D

Hamrob
12-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Considering we went out and brought in JDR after Allen left says Elway and Fox want the best for the job not a random fill in guy from withinJust because they did it last year, doesn't mean that will be the blueprint this year. It's a concern to me, until I see what happens.

Bacchus
12-30-2012, 01:13 PM

Manning came to Denver in part because of Fox. He'll be here AT LEAST as long as Manning.

baja
12-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Manning came to Denver in part because of Fox. He'll be here AT LEAST as long as Manning.

Probably right.

HAT
12-30-2012, 01:26 PM

And hopefully *ONLY* as long as Manning.

^5

lonestar
12-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Fox strikes me as a leader who knows how to delegate to his assistants and get the respect, admiration and best from those he leads. He doesn't have the ego of a Shanahan, but he is a better leader, and realistically there aren't that many guys with a BIG HEAD like Mike has.

Fixed that for you.

NFLBRONCO
12-30-2012, 11:18 PM
What teams do you think would interest JDR to become HC again?

Hulamau
12-30-2012, 11:42 PM

Agree here, SoCals assertion that JDR jumps for more money I dont buy. AS noted above he's been a head coach for many years already .. been there done that .. he expressed clear preference for NOT being a HC for a while when he took this job and the most important thing to him at this stage of riding all the way with a real winner and winning a SB .. he will get his pick of HC jobs with top $$ salary and perks with a fresh Lombardi under his arm and he knows it!

As much as I want to win it all this year, it is possible we don/t and need one more year of fine tuning and roster strenghtening..

If he does bolt now it would only be for the money. Why leave a team with PMFM at QB and Von/Doom/Wolfe/Champ peaking for a realy multi year run at the whole enchilada ..

Oh yes, so he can go jump into another rebuilding program with a journeyman QB and a bucket full of holes on some loser roster and go through mountains of added stress and at least a few years before having a ghost of a chance to compete for a division championship??

Dont think so... if he is smart at all he has got to see the golden opportunity this team present with Peyton here for a couple more years for sure and Von becoming more every day a Lawrence Taylor/Derek Thomas level talent.

He isnt going to move straight to a team with these assets and would quickly be reminded of why he went sour on teh HC gig the last couple years at Jacksonville.

There wasnt a major push for JDR last offseason at this time from other teams looking for a coach and he went with us largely because Foxy persued him and he too had the good sense to see a gold plated gift horse when it was staring him in the face.

The only scenario I see him leaving now would be IF we win the SB, but then as noted too above his picking will likely be much slimmer as most teams need the HC in place even of a few assistant coaches remain unsigned, well before the Senior bowl and Combine.

JDR will not lose anything by sitting pretty with Denver for another year or two and will only benefit in both the shorter and longer term by doing so.