PDA

View Full Version : OT- Windows 8 or a MacBook?

montrose
12-27-2012, 09:38 PM
I need a laptop for work, hopefully someone has had a chance to get familiar with Windows 8. I used to sell computers but that was almost 2 years ago so I'm a bit out of the game. I've always used Windows PCs although for the last year I've been enjoying using my iPad and iPhone and the allure of compatibility to a MacBook is compelling. I also have a full version of Windows 7 that I could run in Parallels or Boot Camp on the machine, the downside would obviously be cost. Probably about $1500 for what I want.

On the flip side, I could go with a Windows 8 PC. I would lose the syncing between the computer and Apple devices but that seems like more of a luxury than necessity. The Windows PC would do everything I need for less, probably around $800. So I'm wondering if the cost difference is worth it going with the Mac. Has anyone had experience with Windows 8? I played with the beta but I'm sure it's different now. Thanks!

mhgaffney
12-27-2012, 09:41 PM
You won't go wrong with a Mac.

theAPAOps5
12-27-2012, 09:45 PM
My next computer will be be a Mac. I have slowly converted for much the same reason as yourself, iPad and iPhone

baja
12-27-2012, 09:50 PM
If you have an iPad & iPhone get the Mac. It's a no brainer really. iCloud by itself is reason enough, factor in all the other apps that display across all your Apple devices and clearly a no brainer.

El Guapo
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
With all of the apple fanbois (see: blind mice, sheeple, etc.) you are bound to get tons of recommendations for the macbook. I implore you to head to a windows store and check out the new windows 8 products. I, personally, was blown away by it. So much so that I immediately traded in my android for a WP8 phone. Next on the list is definitely a W8 laptop.

Good luck.

CHANGSTER
12-27-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm really not a fan of Windows 8. It's a version built for tablets that's supposed to be user friendly but comes across as dumbed down. And it makes everything take a second longer when you have to hold your cursor at the edge of the screen to get a menu open. It's pretty good for people who aren't exactly "computer people", though.

Willynowei
12-27-2012, 10:07 PM
I honestly think this generation, both sides have just about flawless offerings in terms of OS, they really are great, both of them, you can't go wrong with either one.

I think it comes down to products, i'm a big fan specific ones such as the snap on tablet w8 devices and the macbook air - what i'm typing on.

broncosteven
12-27-2012, 10:38 PM
I haven't used Win8 but if your thinking about cost already I would go that rout, I have an iPhone and can sync it fine on my Win7 pc, I hate iTunes and the Apple calendar but I don't think you need to spend all that money just because your worried about syncing.

You can get much better hardware cheaper in the Windows platform.

Good luck, tell me how Win 8 is.

lonestar
12-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Mac in a heartbeat if for no other reason I do not have to buy virus programs to keep my unit free of crap.

Some day I might have to but not now.

If you want to run windows on the Mac you can. Not sure why you would but you can.

Irish Stout
12-27-2012, 11:07 PM
In the past 8 years I've purchased 8 laptops. 3 years ago is when I purchased my last laptop, a MacBook. It's has held up better than any pc I've ever owned. There was a steep learning curve for me to get used to the OS, but I love it now. Had to download Firefox for a few of the websites I use for work, but most things are now Mac compatible.

Since getting a MacBook my wife quit her Lenovo and bought a MacBook and we bought a used iMac for a desktop. There are still glitches with the machines, but my problem solving time, virus chasing time, and general load times are just less on the Mac.

There's a reason apple has such a devoted following.

Wes Mantooth
12-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I need a laptop for work, hopefully someone has had a chance to get familiar with Windows 8. I used to sell computers but that was almost 2 years ago so I'm a bit out of the game. I've always used Windows PCs although for the last year I've been enjoying using my iPad and iPhone and the allure of compatibility to a MacBook is compelling. I also have a full version of Windows 7 that I could run in Parallels or Boot Camp on the machine, the downside would obviously be cost. Probably about $1500 for what I want.

On the flip side, I could go with a Windows 8 PC. I would lose the syncing between the computer and Apple devices but that seems like more of a luxury than necessity. The Windows PC would do everything I need for less, probably around $800. So I'm wondering if the cost difference is worth it going with the Mac. Has anyone had experience with Windows 8? I played with the beta but I'm sure it's different now. Thanks!

What do you do for work Montrose?

enjolras
12-27-2012, 11:27 PM
In the past 8 years I've purchased 8 laptops. 3 years ago is when I purchased my last laptop, a MacBook. It's has held up better than any pc I've ever owned. There was a steep learning curve for me to get used to the OS, but I love it now. Had to download Firefox for a few of the websites I use for work, but most things are now Mac compatible.

Since getting a MacBook my wife quit her Lenovo and bought a MacBook and we bought a used iMac for a desktop. There are still glitches with the machines, but my problem solving time, virus chasing time, and general load times are just less on the Mac.

There's a reason apple has such a devoted following.

Counterpoint: All of the developers at my company have either Macbook Air's or Macbook Pro's. Our failure rate is higher than at my previous venture where we mostly used cheap Dell's.

Our average lifespan for a Macbook Pro is about 1.5 years. Which is good for a developers machine, but not fantastic. We're forced into it as all of our developers touch iOS at some point.

Ratboy
12-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Neither.

DenverBroncosJM
12-27-2012, 11:42 PM
If you have used a Pc forever the Mac is actually a pain in the ass. Windows 8 is nice and runs very well. I would download the app to get the start menu back though

Btw I have an iPad and iPhone 5 and they sync just fine with windows 8

Aftermath
12-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Im in the same boat. I have an iPad and Galaxy S3. I like android better than iphone but rather have apple os on cpu and tablet.

bowtown
12-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Speaking as someone who has been a PC guy for most if his life, Windows 8 is truly a hideously, hilarious attemp to be visually relevant if it was 1998. The new interface is absurd and desperate. I'll probably still run both pc and Mac in my house but Microsoft just keeps making it harder and harder for me to care.

tesnyde
12-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Good rule to follow.....Never buy a Windows OS until at least service pack 2 comes out, unless you like to be a tortured lab rat fed bugs.

Kaylore
12-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Macs are expensive and impossible to improve. Get a pc with windows 7.

Rolandftw
12-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Go with Linux.

Doggcow
12-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Mac in a heartbeat if for no other reason I do not have to buy virus programs to keep my unit free of crap.

If you want to run windows on the Mac you can. Not sure why you would but you can.

Ignorance is bliss.

Same goes for Iphones. Andriods have been putting out superior hardware and features for years.

Didn't Apple just advertise a "Bigger screen" and "Panoramic Pictures"? Lol.

I'm not saying Apple is a bad product. But Apple Products are like the Beats Headphones of the industry now. Nothing more than a status symbol.

Houshyamama
12-28-2012, 02:26 AM
I build my own PC's, so I have a bias towards Windows machines, but if I was going to buy a laptop and money was no object I'd get a Mac. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, do NOT buy a Macbook. If you have tons of cash to spend, Mac's really are a great product. They look great. They work great. They feel great. Mac is the best design company in the world at present. They just aren't great value and good luck getting one fixed for cheap once your Apple Care runs out.

Houshyamama
12-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Neither.

SO rufus.

baja
12-28-2012, 05:59 AM
I build my own PC's, so I have a bias towards Windows machines, but if I was going to buy a laptop and money was no object I'd get a Mac. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, do NOT buy a Macbook. If you have tons of cash to spend, Mac's really are a great product. They look great. They work great. They feel great. Mac is the best design company in the world at present. They just aren't great value and good luck getting one fixed for cheap once your Apple Care runs out.

Apple Care is three years. once that runs out the machine is out dated. Laptops are basically a throw away product with a 3 year life span.

Requiem
12-28-2012, 06:46 AM
I've been a PC guy almost my whole life and have had a PC of my own since I was 3 years old. Gave Windows 8 a serious try because I always like to see what is coming out. It is worthless and most people agree. Look at all the good tech sites on the Web and you won't see any groundbreaking reviews on it. Haven't really been impressed with any Microsoft OS since XP -- and even that took till SP3 to even be completely stable.

I would go with a Mac in a heartbeat. I bought a MacAir a year ago and the only problem I had was an issue with a trackpad, but that was fixed easily under Apple Care. One free year, three extended for $100 which is worth it on a $1,000+ investment. It has nothing to do with being a sheep. The high end laptops with Windows 8 cost just as much as a MacBook/MacAir. I don't think I have ever had a better machine than what I do now. It boots up in seconds and runs absolutely smoothly. The only thing I can say is with the flash state and how many websites use it, the battery life isn't as good as I expected. I'm not sure what the new generation of Mac's run at -- but my Air gets ~ 4.5 hours, sometimes 5 depending on the settings.

Go with the Mac. Orange Mane for Mac: (54) . . . Windows 8: El Guapo (1)

Requiem
12-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Not even remotely true at all. The only people who don't realize how you can upgrade a Mac are the people who don't know anything about computers other than how to boot them up and surf the web. It takes a little "smarts" to do it, but it easily can be done. How many people with PCs do you know that are bossing 32GB of RAM in their system. Probably none.

Ratboy
12-28-2012, 07:24 AM
How many people with PCs do you know that are bossing 32GB of RAM in their system. Probably none.

Nice to meet you.

Requiem
12-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Nice to meet you.

Well of course they exist. I know a bunch of people who are PC enthusiasts who are total hardware junkies. That is cool you have a system that bomb. I was just trying to address the perpetual myth that goes around which states Macs are not expandable. :)

itherapies
12-28-2012, 07:40 AM
My go to device for work is my iPad. I'm in sales. I love that my calendar, contacts, photos, mail, notes and reminders show and update the same on all my devices. And, with Dropbox, all my documents are on all my devices. I feel like computers finally have become the useful tool I hoped the could become. I have an iMac at my office, and carry my iPad and iPhone.

montrose
12-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, if money weren't an object I'd probably go with the Mac but it is so I'll still need to think it over. I am more interested in he stark contrast of responses regarding Windows 8. Those that love it: why? Those that don't: why?

What do you do for work Montrose?

Radio producer, I cut audio with Adobe Audition.

orangemonkey
12-28-2012, 07:46 AM
I've been a PC guy almost my whole life and have had a PC of my own since I was 3 years old. Gave Windows 8 a serious try because I always like to see what is coming out. It is worthless and most people agree. Look at all the good tech sites on the Web and you won't see any groundbreaking reviews on it. Haven't really been impressed with any Microsoft OS since XP -- and even that took till SP3 to even be completely stable.

I would go with a Mac in a heartbeat. I bought a MacAir a year ago and the only problem I had was an issue with a trackpad, but that was fixed easily under Apple Care. One free year, three extended for $100 which is worth it on a $1,000+ investment. It has nothing to do with being a sheep. The high end laptops with Windows 8 cost just as much as a MacBook/MacAir. I don't think I have ever had a better machine than what I do now. It boots up in seconds and runs absolutely smoothly. The only thing I can say is with the flash state and how many websites use it, the battery life isn't as good as I expected. I'm not sure what the new generation of Mac's run at -- but my Air gets ~ 4.5 hours, sometimes 5 depending on the settings.

Go with the Mac. Orange Mane for Mac: (54) . . . Windows 8: El Guapo (1)

This is the key for me. I fought the transition to Mac for many years when IBM, Toshiba, even Dell made good hardware. Up until last year I was rockin' the very best $3K Windows-based laptops for business built by Lenovo, Dell, HP and Samsung. They are all absolute crap compared to the MacBook Pro unfortunately. Apple's laptop industrial design and performance is far superior to any x86-based Windows machine out there today. And to your point, the best Windows laptops cost as much as the MacBook Pros. Windows laptops are dying a quick death. The Mac OSx is solid but definitely has deficiencies like Windows.

Willynowei
12-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, if money weren't an object I'd probably go with the Mac but it is so I'll still need to think it over. I am more interested in he stark contrast of responses regarding Windows 8. Those that love it: why? Those that don't: why?

Its half a touch based interface and half a desktop interface in the spirit of windows 7. Only way to really know what is unique about it is to use it.

People complain because they can't get used to the fact that all the programs are on a separate panel that takes up your whole screen when you open the apps. People hate it for the same reason that people hated the start bar from XP but they all got used to that.

It's generally a somewhat innovative design but mostly impractical for the desktop environment (although great for touch) because the way that you actually look for programs to open is often through the start/docs (list) menu or the spotlight/ctrl+F search feature.

The idea of dragging a montage of pictures is great for touchscreen but doesn't translate to the desktop.

That said you might really enjoy the touch laptops that windows 8 is meant to be used with,again, its all about the hardware.

Focus on the hardware and its marriage to the software... i recommend you take a look at the foldable touch laptops for w8 or the air for mac osx.

Performance and tech specs are overated, intel's mobile division pumps out insane per wattage power and modern operating systems take up a relatively minuscule percentage of a computer's RAM.

A modern core-i ULV processor and 4GBs of ram could run just about anything.

Ratboy
12-28-2012, 07:53 AM

To be fair, I didn't even give 10 minutes to Windows 8. It was not user friendly what-so-ever. Win 8 was built for touch screen, so I guess if you're going that route, it might be useful.

baja
12-28-2012, 08:04 AM
I don't get the cost thing when talking about a Macbook Pro

They cost about $1,500. You use them for three years and buy a new one. You are always up to date with the evolving tech and it costs $500 a year plus you make some school kid happy when you give him your old machine that will likely run just fine for another several years.

El Guapo
12-28-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm really not a fan of Windows 8. It's a version built for tablets that's supposed to be user friendly but comes across as dumbed down. And it makes everything take a second longer when you have to hold your cursor at the edge of the screen to get a menu open. It's pretty good for people who aren't exactly "computer people", though.

Interesting considering I have a masters in Computer Science and prefer W8. :thumbs:

Requiem
12-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Interesting considering I have a masters in Computer Science and prefer W8. :thumbs:

What about 3.1x?

DenverBroncosJM
12-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Windows 8 is probably the most stable release I have seen from MS so far. Like I mentioned downloading an app to get rid of the native home screen is almost a must but after that its a very stable OS.

I recently "rebuilt" my desktop. New MB, processor SSD drive and windows 8. It screams and for 400.00 I have a brand new computer. For the people complaining about viruses etc on a pc, what are you doing? I have yet to get a virus on my new machine but I also do not download my claim form because I just won the Nigerian lottery

Requiem
12-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Windows 8 is probably the most stable release I have seen from MS so far. Like I mentioned downloading an app to get rid of the native home screen is almost a must but after that its a very stable OS.

I recently "rebuilt" my desktop. New MB, processor SSD drive and windows 8. It screams and for 400.00 I have a brand new computer. For the people complaining about viruses etc on a pc, what are you doing? I have yet to get a virus on my new machine but I also do not download my claim form because I just won the Nigerian lottery

We are fappin' JM.

/fapfapfapfapfapfapfap

OOJack
12-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Counterpoint: All of the developers at my company have either Macbook Air's or Macbook Pro's. Our failure rate is higher than at my previous venture where we mostly used cheap Dell's.

Our average lifespan for a Macbook Pro is about 1.5 years. Which is good for a developers machine, but not fantastic. We're forced into it as all of our developers touch iOS at some point.

Do you and your developers a favor and wipe that sh*t they call Windows and OSX and put a real OS on.

Ubuntu LTS is my preference and the biggest community backing...but I wouldn't fault you for a different flavor.

Edit:
If you are forced into objective-c dev, then dual boot those biatches.

OOJack
12-28-2012, 09:28 AM
And if you didn't know this already, Google engrs use a skinned Ubuntu LTS.

It just works...all the time.

bpc
12-28-2012, 09:34 AM
I bought an HP w Windows back in early 2007. It burnt out in less than 6 mos. Apparently I got the dud. As I purchased at best buy w their protection plan, they comped me the money back towards another laptop. I went with my first Mac. Took me time to get adjusted to along w downloading word/excel, etc. That was prior to my wedding in mid/late 2007. I'm proud to say that laptop is STILL going strong. Performance is great, fast, all major parts still working. I had to get an external hard drive for more storage but that's it's.

My wife and I are both supplied laptops for work... Sure enough windows laptops. They crash and burn all the time. The amount of bugs and other junk in it is incredible. Do yourself a favor and go with Apple. You'll pay more but it is a higher quality product w much more uptime vs downtime.

OOJack
12-28-2012, 09:35 AM

If you're not getting viruses, you're not surfing the web hard enough :D

lolcopter
12-28-2012, 09:39 AM

This is completely wrong

ZONA
12-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Yes thank you, finally somebody who knows what their talking about in terms of OS. Windows 8 GUI alone is reason not to buy it. It's definitely a phone OS cloning as a computer OS. I would stick with Windows 7.

As for Mac's, I have no problem with them. But they don't do anything special a Windows PC can't do, except take alot more money out of your wallet. They're so overpriced it's ridiculous.

ZONA
12-28-2012, 10:39 AM
I bought an HP w Windows back in early 2007. It burnt out in less than 6 mos. Apparently I got the dud. As I purchased at best buy w their protection plan, they comped me the money back towards another laptop. I went with my first Mac. Took me time to get adjusted to along w downloading word/excel, etc. That was prior to my wedding in mid/late 2007. I'm proud to say that laptop is STILL going strong. Performance is great, fast, all major parts still working. I had to get an external hard drive for more storage but that's it's.

My wife and I are both supplied laptops for work... Sure enough windows laptops. They crash and burn all the time. The amount of bugs and other junk in it is incredible. Do yourself a favor and go with Apple. You'll pay more but it is a higher quality product w much more uptime vs downtime.

I would have to say that your work is probably buying cheap crap if it continues to fail all the time. If you're talking about the software OS having issues all the time then perhaps your IT guy is crap. I have absolutely no problems with Windows 7. I've built 5 PC's and installed Windows 7 and I've not yet got one complaint from any of the people I've built them for. Same goes for Mac. I've used them alot also and no complaints, except that you indeed pay alot more for no reason other then the name APPLE.

Kaylore
12-28-2012, 10:49 AM
For the people complaining about viruses etc on a pc, what are you doing? I have yet to get a virus on my new machine but I also do not download my claim form because I just won the Nigerian lottery

I never got this either. I have had a virus problem exactly once in the last seven years.

Basically if you have problems with viruses or, heaven forbid, you are paying for virus protection, you are obviously a computer imbecile and a Mac is what you need because they are made imbecile proof.

baja
12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
I never got this either. I have had a virus problem exactly once in the last seven years.

Basically if you have problems with viruses or, heaven forbid, you are paying for virus protection, you are obviously a computer imbecile and a Mac is what you need because they are made imbecile proof.

Now there is a hell of a reason to opt for a PC. You prefer a machine that is more complex to run because you are smart enough to deal with the unnecessary complexities. Screw the simple elegance of a Mac I an smart enough to learn all the tricks and work arounds needed to use my PC successfully and my investment in time saves me a couple of hundred dollars over three years.

With that logic driving a Ford Escort is wiser than driving a Porsche 911 because both cars will get you there and the Ford is cheaper.

Heyneck
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Not even remotely true at all. The only people who don't realize how you can upgrade a Mac are the people who don't know anything about computers other than how to boot them up and surf the web. It takes a little "smarts" to do it, but it easily can be done. How many people with PCs do you know that are bossing 32GB of RAM in their system. Probably none.

Well... I'll tell you this, 3 months ago I got my self an Asus laptop with windows 7. It freaking rocks!!! I was thinking about getting the new Macbook Pro with retina display, but what threw me off was that it didn't have an integrated CD/DVD drive. The upgraded version went for around $3500. My upgraded PC laptop upgraded version went for $1200. It has 2.2 Core i7, 32 GB ram, 1TB Hard drive, an NVIDIA 2GB graphic card.

I am a graphic designer, so the ATI graphic card that the Macbook has would have been preferred, but for the money deferential I ain't complaining. Windows 7 runs like a charm. Since I got a Windows phone (they are great by the way, got the Nokia 900), I decided to look into the Windows 8 upgrade. My IT guy told me to hold on a few more months just to make sure it is compatible with all the programs I use. Other than that, I checked it out on a touchscreen laptop and it was cool as hell.

Chris
12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
I bought a macbook pro solely because I wanted to make tunes on my machine. Outside of that I actually feel like the interface is using metaphors that are fast becoming outdated. If I could go back I would have gone with the PC. Don't let the Mac branding bs force you into spending extra cash for equal or less specs and an (imo) inferior os to the live tiles of windows 8. That said, I'd prefer windows 8 on a touchscreen.

broncosteven
12-28-2012, 12:10 PM

I only have 8 gig of ram installed in my desktop but using a 64gig flash drive I mounted I turned on Ready Boost and dedicated 32gig to it so technically I have 40gig of RAM. It helps with read times some. It helps more on my laptop where I have 4 gig installed RAM and use 3Gig of a 4gig Flash drive. I notice it helps more on the laptop.

I like Kahn's idea of just installing Win7, you can always install an older OS and still be licensed.

baja
12-28-2012, 12:21 PM
I bought a macbook pro solely because I wanted to make tunes on my machine. Outside of that I actually feel like the interface is using metaphors that are fast becoming outdated. If I could go back I would have gone with the PC. Don't let the Mac branding bs force you into spending extra cash for equal or less specs and an (imo) inferior os to the live tiles of windows 8. That said, I'd prefer windows 8 on a touchscreen.

I do think Apple stock is about to serious dump in value.

There is only one Steve Jobs just like there was only one P. T. Barnum. Apple will flounder for a while. Look at the huge screw up with Apple's map app. That doesn't happen with Jobs in charge.

Jobs knew what would sell and created those products and an cult following to buy them the minute they came out. In the herd mentality world of today those long lines to buy the latest Apple product made for priceless advertising and drove sales through the roof, course you have to have a really good product to really pull that off and Jobs made sure of that too.

Now the rest of the companies have caught on and are fully committed to be the company that comes up with the next great "thing" . Jobs had this market all to himself for years but he's gone and his business plan is not unique anymore.

Requiem
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I only have 8 gig of ram installed in my desktop but using a 64gig flash drive I mounted I turned on Ready Boost and dedicated 32gig to it so technically I have 40gig of RAM. It helps with read times some. It helps more on my laptop where I have 4 gig installed RAM and use 3Gig of a 4gig Flash drive. I notice it helps more on the laptop.

I like Kahn's idea of just installing Win7, you can always install an older OS and still be licensed.

Sure, you can install an older operating system. If I built a PC, I'd probably install XP on it for ****s and giggles because I liked it the most. I still didn't like 7, nor do I like 8. My point was that Macs are expandable. It is a myth that they aren't. Time will tell to see how good my Mac is in the long run and if I have any big problems. I've owned numerous Windows laptops (have one with 7 actually) and they have all eventually bit the dust. And it wasn't because I was doing something wrong to kill the system. These were all factory made ones. I have never had a problem with a desktop I created myself.

To each their own. I happen to use both Windows/MacOS on a daily basis. There are things I like and dislike about both.

broncosteven
12-28-2012, 01:05 PM

The only time you get a virus is if you go out looking for one. I have one friend who had a couple viruses a year until he stopped downloading porn. He finally swore off Internets porn and has had one since. The other one I encountered was from a client who installed Freeware from an untrusted source that was infected.

If you use common sense on the internet and keep your anti-virus products updated and don't share USB drives without scanning them right away you will be fine.

I have been using the Free version of AVG Anti-virus and Malware Bytes and not looking for Gene Naked on Porn sites. AVG saves me over $70 bucks now, I am over the limit on Mcafee and Norton licenses at the house.

Requiem
12-28-2012, 01:07 PM
You should download CCleaner. It is kid tested, Gene Kranz approved.

broncosteven
12-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Sure, you can install an older operating system. If I built a PC, I'd probably install XP on it for ****s and giggles because I liked it the most. I still didn't like 7, nor do I like 8. My point was that Macs are expandable. It is a myth that they aren't. Time will tell to see how good my Mac is in the long run and if I have any big problems. I've owned numerous Windows laptops (have one with 7 actually) and they have all eventually bit the dust. And it wasn't because I was doing something wrong to kill the system. These were all factory made ones. I have never had a problem with a desktop I created myself.

To each their own. I happen to use both Windows/MacOS on a daily basis. There are things I like and dislike about both.

Can you buy a new battery for a Mac Laptop? I heard that you couldn't.

I sure wish I could throw in a RAM card to expand the RAM on my iPhone, I had a 64gig card in my ancient AT&T Tilt. Now I am stuck with 16G on the 4S.

Bought my daughter a Chinese knock off Android based Tablet, it has a couple USB ports, SD slot, 100 base NIC, Wireless with 4G internal We can add a couple of USB flash drives and she has endless storage. Can the new iPads do that now?

lolcopter
12-28-2012, 01:13 PM

Attention old people who don't know ****: macs can get viruses too, they are just targeted much less frequently

Requiem
12-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Can you buy a new battery for a Mac Laptop? I heard that you couldn't.

Pretty sure you can. If not, it is replaceable with the Apple Care warranty. I ain't Steve Jobs man, I ain't got time for dat!

I sure wish I could throw in a RAM card to expand the RAM on my iPhone, I had a 64gig card in my ancient AT&T Tilt. Now I am stuck with 16G on the 4S.

Bought my daughter a Chinese knock off Android based Tablet, it has a couple USB ports, SD slot, 100 base NIC, Wireless with 4G internal We can add a couple of USB flash drives and she has endless storage. Can the new iPads do that now?

Can you have a USB flash drive with an iPad? In a round about way, yes. With an adapter. Not sure if the new ones got USB ports. I would never get an iPad. I have enough problems with my MaxiPads.

mhgaffney
12-28-2012, 01:23 PM

No, they keep finding ways to improve them.

lolcopter
12-28-2012, 01:25 PM
No, they keep finding ways to improve them.

$40 adapters at a time

mhgaffney
The Applecare warranty is the real deal.

My Mac got toasted during a thunderstorm -- but luckily was still on warranty. They replaced my mother board free of charge.

Don't shy away from getting the Applecare to save a few bucks. That's penny wize and pound foolish.

Mountain Bronco
Didn't read the whole thread, but I use a PC and just got the new windows 8 and I like it, but that said, my wife has a mac book pro and if I had the choice of the two I would go with the Mac. So much more user friendly and the ability to have all my devices syncing would be so nice.

lolcopter
12-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Syncing devices to something not cloud related is older than **** anyway and shouldn't be a strong draw either way

Requiem
12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
You got a Dell for Christmas, didn't ya Lolcopto?

lolcopter
12-28-2012, 01:45 PM
No is just funny hearing about old people argue about computers around here. Go ask your most literate grandchild, they'll help you all out just fine.

(Herp derp macs don't get viruses yippee)

Popps
12-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm on the Mac side of things. Like a few have said, you'll never go wrong that way.

I do hear Windows 8 is a more useable OS than past Windows versions. But, there are compatibility issues with old software versions, etc. (Among other complaints I've heard.)
It's also not much like past versions of Windows... which would of course be a good thing.

Also keep in mind, you're buying a hardware set with a Mac. Windows is just an OS. So it'll largely depend on who makes the computer itself. I personally prefer the dependability and consistency of Mac's hardware sets for my business. (I run 4-6 machines at any given time.) A few hundred extra bucks for a top flight hardware set is nothing in the long-run when you're running business critical functions. So, even if you're going to go with a Windows box... do some research and get a good hardware set. Last thing you want is to be on customer support with some ****-can box-maker.

Good luck.

lolcopter
12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
A few hundred bucks doesn't get you **** in Mac land

Requiem
12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
No is just funny hearing about old people argue about computers around here. Go ask your most literate grandchild, they'll help you all out just fine.

(Herp derp macs don't get viruses yippee)

well tEh facts is that got mac back in 2009, 21.5 icnh verzion and lifing the hihg life. works grate with all my appleo devices.

Requiem
12-28-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm on the Mac side of things. Like a few have said, you'll never go wrong that way.

I do hear Windows 8 is a more useable OS than past Windows versions. But, there are compatibility issues with old software versions, etc. (Among other complaints I've heard.)
It's also not much like past versions of Windows... which would of course be a good thing.

Also keep in mind, you're buying a hardware set with a Mac. Windows is just an OS. So it'll largely depend on who makes the computer itself. I personally prefer the dependability and consistency of Mac's hardware sets for my business. (I run 4-6 machines at any given time.) A few hundred extra bucks for a top flight hardware set is nothing in the long-run when you're running business critical functions. So, even if you're going to go with a Windows box... do some research and get a good hardware set. Last thing you want is to be on customer support with some ****-can box-maker.

Good luck.

Nice post. Build my own PC from scratch rather than gettin' a Dell or HP or somethin'. I have heard rave reviews about the new Vizio all in ones, but for half the price I could get a 27" monitor + better specs if I really wanted to go that way. :) Did you have a good Christmas Popps?

baja
12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
A few hundred bucks doesn't get you **** in Mac land

More Choper breath, a few hundred bucks MORE.

Requiem
12-28-2012, 01:57 PM
All the 5-Tool Skillset Posters access the Orange Mane on a Mac. Truth.

broncosteven
12-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Pretty sure you can. If not, it is replaceable with the Apple Care warranty. I ain't Steve Jobs man, I ain't got time for dat!

Can you have a USB flash drive with an iPad? In a round about way, yes. With an adapter. Not sure if the new ones got USB ports. I would never get an iPad. I have enough problems with my MaxiPads.

You said RoundAbout! Now I have to pop a handful of goofballs and dig out my Yes Albums ON VINYL MAN!!!! Only some punk ass kids standing on or near my lawn would listen to YES on an ithingy!

That said I have YES, ELP, Moody Blues, etc... all loaded up eating space on my tiny 16g iphone. Apple needs to listen to more Prog rock and add more RAM cheaper so I can load all my music. Oh well I still have the records and my Bang and Olufsen turntable (and CD's for the car) to fall back on.

Requiem
12-28-2012, 02:00 PM
You said RoundAbout! Now I have to pop a handful of goofballs and dig out my Yes Albums ON VINYL MAN!!!! Only some punk ass kids standing on or near my lawn would listen to YES on an ithingy!

That said I have YES, ELP, Moody Blues, etc... all loaded up eating space on my tiny 16g iphone. Apple needs to listen to more Prog rock and add more RAM cheaper so I can load all my music. Oh well I still have the records and my Bang and Olufsen turntable (and CD's for the car) to fall back on.

Fragile is a fantastic album. Everything Yes did was the ****in' bomb. I don't think my dad has any Yes on vinyl. I get his vinyl collection and record player, etc. -- all those goods when he dies. He has got a really nice set up. It's crazy tho, they are like pieces of furniture. :)

24champ
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
I don't have a problem with either OS. They both have positives and have their own drawbacks. I think it boils down to the computer knowledge of the user, not the machine. Some people just buy Window computers because of the price point, most times you pay for what you get.

Cheap=Crap.

OCBronco
12-28-2012, 02:29 PM
I have played around a little with Windows 8, and I like it well enough that I'll probably buy a copy and run it on Parallels on my Mac. Unless you opt for one of the touch screen laptops, you're probably better off running Windows 8 on a Mac because of the superior trackpad.

As for price, there are a few ways to save $, if you know where to look. Microcenter often has deals. One of my favorite places is MacMall. Check out their Open Box Outlet, where you can find stuff steeply discounted. Also, I recommend the Apple refurbished outlet (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac) . Those products look the same, they come factory reconditioned, and have the same warranty as the new product. I've been able to get some great deals there.

OCBronco
12-28-2012, 02:34 PM
If you are going to buy a touchscreen laptop specifically for Windows 8, I think it would make sense to get the Lenovo Yoga (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+Yoga+IdeaPad+Ultrabook+13.3%22+Touch-Screen+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+Silver/6634279.p?id=1218767481156&skuId=6634279&cmp=RMX&ky=29MctbxTdWR5zw7juBRUJG5R3arSM2oNk ) Just my two cents.

Popps
12-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Nice post. Build my own PC from scratch rather than gettin' a Dell or HP or somethin'. I have heard rave reviews about the new Vizio all in ones, but for half the price I could get a 27" monitor + better specs if I really wanted to go that way. :) Did you have a good Christmas Popps?

Hey Req,

Good indeed. Hope yours was as well!

As for recording software, I'm running Pro Tools HD at the TV network and for my home businesses as well. (TV post and music.) There are entry level versions for about $400, which is a very good deal for what you get now.

Or, if you're more into composing/writing than recording/editing... Logic is still a great option. Pretty cheap and very versatile, professional. I know plenty of guys making a living from Logic, as well as guys tinkering in their basements with it. (Or, their garages since we don't have basements out here. :)

If you're currently using Garageband, I'd recommend giving Logic a spin as it will feel like a sensible step up for you. You can then add sound libraries, etc as you need them.

Have fun!

HILife
12-28-2012, 03:18 PM

That is a major misconception. Macs can get malware just like any other computer in the world. There are just less of them in the world because of Mac's smaller market share. Why write a program to infect macs that have maybe 10% market share, when you can write a +80% market share windows.

With all that said, go Linux, because it's free and because you like doing stuff the hard way.

HILife
12-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Apple Care is three years. once that runs out the machine is out dated. Laptops are basically a throw away product with a 3 year life span.

100% not true. Laptops can have a long life as long as you get the max memory when you first buy it. If you are graphic designer, software developer, video editor, hacker, or are in some kind of role that requires some serious "firepower," then I'd say you're right. For most everyone else, laptops will last a long time.

HILife
12-28-2012, 03:33 PM

The new macs can't be upgraded. You have to have everything installed from the jump. After that, it is what it is. A lot of the mac hardware is built right into the mother board. This allows for a faster computer, but makes it impossible to easily upgrade in the future.

Taco John
12-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I personally won't switch to Windows 8 until I get a touchscreen. That said, I definitely plan on switching to Windows 8.

I'm not convinced on their phone devices yet, as where I'm pretty happy with my Android. I suppose it will depend on what their app library looks like. But as it is, I'm more likely to switch to Open WebOS on Android (http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/141855-open-webos-can-now-run-as-an-android-app-ios-needs-to-watch-its-back) than Windows for mobile. (once it's viable, of course) Even today, with WebOS being dead a year, it's still the best mobile OS in existence.

Fedaykin
12-28-2012, 03:42 PM
The new macs can't be upgraded. You have to have everything installed from the jump. After that, it is what it is. A lot of the mac hardware is built right into the mother board. This allows for a faster computer, but makes it impossible to easily upgrade in the future.

The reason apple build non-upgradable hardware has nothing to do with speed, it has to do with $$$.

It's the same reason the iPhone doesn't have a uSD slot unlike most high end Android and Blackberry phones.

Why put a uSD slot in a phone when you can charge 10x per GB for onboard flash storage and have a built in artificial product limitation?

Fedaykin
12-28-2012, 03:44 PM
I personally won't switch to Windows 8 until I get a touchscreen. That said, I definitely plan on switching to Windows 8.

I'm not convinced on their phone devices yet, as where I'm pretty happy with my Android. I suppose it will depend on what their app library looks like. But as it is, I'm more likely to switch to open source WebOS on Android (http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/141855-open-webos-can-now-run-as-an-android-app-ios-needs-to-watch-its-back) than Windows for mobile. (once it's viable, of course)

Interesting given that the Windows 8 UI is purpose designed for mobile devices (it's actually one of the few innovative and unique products MS has ever built), and it a massive kluge on the desktop.

baja
12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
100% not true. Laptops can have a long life as long as you get the max memory when you first buy it. If you are graphic designer, software developer, video editor, hacker, or are in some kind of role that requires some serious "firepower," then I'd say you're right. For most everyone else, laptops will last a long time.

Sure. My first Mac Book Pro lasted 5 years. What I mean is the technology improves so much, the latest being retina display. I like the new stuff and I figure $500 bucks a year to have a new machine every three years is well worth it to me.

Taco John
12-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Interesting given that the Windows 8 UI is purpose designed for mobile devices (it's actually one of the few innovative and unique products MS has ever built), and it a massive kluge on the desktop.

I haven't gotten a chance to use it, so I'm not prepared to judge it yet. That said, I love the concept of it, and understand what they're going for. Myself, I really want a touch screen desktop interface. Not exclusively - I'll always want to use a mouse - but I really like the idea of being able to manipulate my desktop through the screen the same way I do my mobile devices. I think Microsoft knows what they're doing better than anyone else at the desktop, and believe that Windows 8 is a strong step in the right direction towards what I want in the future. I don't hardly believe they've "nailed it" in their first try, but I like the direction it's going.

As far as the mobile goes, I am a huge fan of the Open WebOS platform, and know for sure that they got it right because I used it for a year. Maybe the Windows 8 mobile platform is equally elegant, but I doubt it, and I don't know how inclined I am to move to it given what I've got invested into Android right now. If I can get Open WebOS on Android in 12-24 months, I'll be set for a good long time. Obviously, I'm a unique case. There are not that many people who really know the advantages that WebOS has over the other platforms.

slatimer
12-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Windows 8..heck buy two of them for the price of a Mac...Avast free anti virus, and Malwarebytes scan every month...clean as a whistle..

Fedaykin
12-28-2012, 04:09 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to use it, so I'm not prepared to judge it yet. That said, I love the concept of it, and understand what they're going for. Myself, I really want a touch screen desktop interface. Not exclusively - I'll always want to use a mouse - but I really like the idea of being able to manipulate my desktop through the screen the same way I do my mobile devices. I think Microsoft knows what they're doing better than anyone else at the desktop, and believe that Windows 8 is a strong step in the right direction towards what I want in the future. I don't hardly believe they've "nailed it" in their first try, but I like the direction it's going.

As far as the mobile goes, I am a huge fan of the Open WebOS platform, and know for sure that they got it right because I used it for a year. Maybe the Windows 8 mobile platform is equally elegant, but I doubt it, and I don't know how inclined I am to move to it given what I've got invested into Android right now. If I can get Open WebOS on Android in 12-24 months, I'll be set for a good long time. Obviously, I'm a unique case. There are not that many people who really know the advantages that WebOS has over the other platforms.

Oh there's definitely a market for touchscreen interaction on the desktop, but it's a small one and will continue to shrink and morph because the desktop/laptop market is going away, slowly but surely. It's being replaced by tablets and tablet/laptop hybrids that fulfill the needs to 80%+ of consumers, because 80% of consumers don't use a computer for anything other than consuming media.

The desktop/laptop market will remain, but will primarily be used by gamers and content producers (i.e. the people building software for tablets).

Trying to meld two entirely different purposes into one OS is will certainly work to some degree, but it just means you have an OS that is a jack of all trades and master of none. Add in the insane decision to have two incompatible versions of Win8 for mobile devices (Pro that is x86 based and RT that is ARM based like Andoid/iOS/BBOS) and its a disaster in the making because that decision completely negates any gains there are to be had from having a 'unified' desktop and mobile OS. x86 will never compete with ARM in the mobile arena.

Just wait till hordes of people who are buying Win8 Pro devices and apps try to upgrade to a Win8 RT device (or visa versa) and find out that none of their applications are compatible anymore and they have to repurchase *everything* for zero gain in actual functionality.

HILife
12-28-2012, 04:40 PM
The reason apple build non-upgradable hardware has nothing to do with speed, it has to do with $$$.

It's the same reason the iPhone doesn't have a uSD slot unlike most high end Android and Blackberry phones.

Why put a uSD slot in a phone when you can charge 10x per GB for onboard flash storage and have a built in artificial product limitation?

It's for both reasons. It is faster to have hardware built directly to the mother board then to have it bottleneck on an expansion slot, but they also did it for the $$$.

EDIT: they mainly did it for the $$$

Fedaykin
12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
It's for both reasons. It is faster to have hardware built directly to the mother board then to have it bottleneck on an expansion slot, but they also did it for the $$$.

No, it's cheaper and better product lock in. Whether you have a video card or other peripheral onboard or in an expansion slot its still connected on the same PCI bus (the only difference is that thing isn't soldered on). You can get some speed (or rather efficiency) increase by having various components on the same die as the CPU (e.g. and on die memory controller or an integrated CPU/CPU like newer Intel and AMD chips), but that kind of configuration is extremely limited by the physical size of the die, thermal limitations, and design/cost complexity.

And the fundamental limitation of all desktops is currently disk and network I/O.

There's a reason nVidia and ATI still own the high end GPU market despite both AMD and Intel having onboard (on die even) video hardware now. Ivy bridge has pretty much killed the entry level GPU market, but gets rocked still by discrete GPUs

maven
12-28-2012, 04:58 PM
so much discussion about this and that and whose is better. windows 8 effin sucks. if you are into hardcore gaming then u must go the windows route, work and programming. if ur just a daily consumption user id go the mac route

Wes Mantooth
12-28-2012, 06:06 PM

+1. I am running Windows 8 on a 2006 Dell Vostro. It is a dual core with 4GB of RAM.

Only upgrade I made since purchase was a solid state drive.

Worst thing about the machine is it is freakin heavy. Runs office, basic image editing, web browsing, etc.. no issue.

maven
12-28-2012, 06:11 PM
+1. I am running Windows 8 on a 2006 Dell Vostro. It is a dual core with 4GB of RAM.

Only upgrade I made since purchase was a solid state drive.

Worst thing about the machine is it is freakin heavy. Runs office, basic image editing, web browsing, etc.. no issue.

windows 8 is light and faster than win 7. pair with ssd and as u mentioned an old comp can keep going

Wes Mantooth
12-28-2012, 06:12 PM
That is a major misconception. Macs can get malware just like any other computer in the world. There are just less of them in the world because of Mac's smaller market share. Why write a program to infect macs that have maybe 10% market share, when you can write a +80% market share windows.

With all that said, go Linux, because it's free and because you like doing stuff the hard way.

Let me echo HiLife. If you get plugged into the vulnerability community, you will find plenty of issue with BSD / Mac.

Virus scanners are dead by the way. Most companies have moved to threat prevention and heuristic scanning to prevent the pattern of attacks. Virus scan engines are retroactive.

Wes Mantooth
12-28-2012, 06:18 PM
windows 8 is light and faster than win 7. pair with ssd and as u mentioned an old comp can keep going

It is actually rather fast. The SSD being the key.

Once you adapt to Win 8 its not bad. My 7 year old figured it out immediately.

Lestat
12-28-2012, 06:40 PM
it's purely preference. you can have 100 people buy the same exact computer and you will get 100 different opinions on why it's great,so-so,sucks or is nice.

the quality of the product is about the same either way depending on what you choose and what you use it for.
get the product that fits your needs the best.

DenverBroncosJM
12-28-2012, 08:14 PM
so much discussion about this and that and whose is better. windows 8 effin sucks. if you are into hardcore gaming then u must go the windows route, work and programming. if ur just a daily consumption user id go the mac route

I hope this post wasn't supposed to support that Mac is better because it reads like this:

If you want or need to do something productive use a windows machine if you want to surf the web get a mac

Doggcow
12-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Btw if you find a solid rig with a SSD, lemme know. I'm also in the market for a laptop but in no rush.

Edit: When will the industry start making SSD the standard and if you WANT a huge harddrive for porn, you add it?

DHallblows
12-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Get a Chromebook

Houshyamama
12-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Get a Chromebook

:rofl:

Aftermath
I heard they are launching new Macbook Pros and Airs in June. You may want to wait until then, I think I am.

Houshyamama
Btw if you find a solid rig with a SSD, lemme know. I'm also in the market for a laptop but in no rush.

Edit: When will the industry start making SSD the standard and if you WANT a huge harddrive for porn, you add it?

who downloads porn anymore?

broncosteven
12-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Just FYI if you want to upgrade from an existing Win Version to Win 8 it is on sale for $39.00 until the 1/31/13 I believe.

Doggcow
12-28-2012, 08:39 PM

Exactly.

I'm using an ancient laptop with like 160gb or something hdd. like 100 is music. Lol.

Houshyamama
12-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Exactly.

I'm using an ancient laptop with like 160gb or something hdd. like 100 is music. Lol.

We gotta play some more X360

Lestat
12-28-2012, 08:54 PM

14-18 year olds,married men,serial nerds and chiefs fans.

SeedReaver
12-28-2012, 10:46 PM
PhD candidate in electrical engineering. Apple is a joke to the research community. Companies like IBM and Microsoft perform real, valuable research that advances society and improves lives. Apple is a marketing company that has done nothing for the world. Therefore, I would never give them my money when it could be better spent elsewhere. Steve Jobs was a prick, and was not revered by anybody but the media.

That said, Apple puts out a good product. however, The virus thing is completely overblown. What it primarily comes down to is software compatibility. Most of the software I personally need will not work on Mac. Most people do not have this problem, though.

I absolutely loved Windows 7. I've dabbled with Windows 8, but eventually just customized it to be like Windows 7 (not hard to do).

I would highly recommend, more than anything, is getting a SSD instead of an HDD, and use an external hard drive for large storage. SSD is far and away the best performance upgrade for computers in the last twenty years.

SeedReaver
12-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Windows 8..heck buy two of them for the price of a Mac...Avast free anti virus, and Malwarebytes scan every month...clean as a whistle..

I would recommend not putting an anti virus on a Win8 machine. Win8 comes with a very good AND super light-weight AV.

maher_tyler
12-28-2012, 11:25 PM
On a Win8 hp laptop now. So far i'm not that impressed. Maybe i'll get more used to it after awhile. I don't like they removed the Start Menu.

Aftermath
12-28-2012, 11:58 PM
PhD candidate in electrical engineering. Apple is a joke to the research community. Companies like IBM and Microsoft perform real, valuable research that advances society and improves lives. Apple is a marketing company that has done nothing for the world. Therefore, I would never give them my money when it could be better spent elsewhere. Steve Jobs was a prick, and was not revered by anybody but the media.

That said, Apple puts out a good product. however, The virus thing is completely overblown. What it primarily comes down to is software compatibility. Most of the software I personally need will not work on Mac. Most people do not have this problem, though.

I absolutely loved Windows 7. I've dabbled with Windows 8, but eventually just customized it to be like Windows 7 (not hard to do).

I would highly recommend, more than anything, is getting a SSD instead of an HDD, and use an external hard drive for large storage. SSD is far and away the best performance upgrade for computers in the last twenty years.

Thank you.

Chris
12-29-2012, 12:12 AM

Amen.

Wes Mantooth
12-29-2012, 12:47 AM

A few additional thoughts on Apple:

*Apple wants to sell you a tablet and a laptop.
*iPad is the only tablet platform with no mouse- Apple tells you that you don't need one (you are doing it wrong).
*Apple has a very serial product line that will catch up to them, just as it did in the early 90's.
*Steve Jobs is not innovating anymore. Apple will crack in time without him.

CEH
12-29-2012, 07:51 AM

IMO, If this is just "for work" and the $800 computer will do the job "for work" save the $800 unless the $1500 computer will make you more money or save you more time to do your job.

BTW, are you self employed? Why wouldn't "work" provide you a computer?

To get the full Windows 8 experience you need a touch screen but as has been mention you can revert back to the classic Win 7 view

So far I've had no issues with Win 8. I doubt it's anything more than a mobile GUI for Windows 7

Kaylore
12-29-2012, 08:51 AM

Woah! I admit I am out of the loop on teh pr0n, but is porn not cool anymore? Or do you just mean no one literally downloads it and just streams it from other sources?

Heyneck
12-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Woah! I admit I am out of the loop on teh pr0n, but is porn not cool anymore? Or do you just mean no one literally downloads it and just streams it from other sources?

yup... think he is talking about using porn tubes!!!

DenverBroncosJM
12-29-2012, 11:31 AM
On a Win8 hp laptop now. So far i'm not that impressed. Maybe i'll get more used to it after awhile. I don't like they removed the Start Menu.

There is an app/program to get it back just do a google search.

Chris
12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
yup... think he is talking about using porn tubes!!!

stream til ya cream! ^5

Requiem
12-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Is this new for 2012? Because everything before that and the early, mid and late 2011 models absolutely are.

Wes Mantooth
12-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Is this new for 2012? Because everything before that and the early, mid and late 2011 models absolutely are.

I would love to know my upgrade options on an air

lolcopter
12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Nothing don't buy an air they are worthless

Doggcow
12-31-2012, 11:56 PM
I just bought this for $750-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215615

i7
GT 640m
6gb ram (gonna upgrade to 8, but 6 is a great start)
500gb hdd (good because I'm just pulling it out for a SSD, so it's awesome they had a cheap 500gb one in and not a 1TB one :)

montrose
01-01-2013, 03:14 AM
BTW, are you self employed? Why wouldn't "work" provide you a computer?

No, I just work in a cheap industry. Lol. In reality I don't "need" a laptop as much as it would just make work more convenient. I have a desktop at the studio, a laptop would just allow me to get my work done at Dove Valley, Pepsi Center, etc. instead of having to keep driving back to cut audio.

maven
01-01-2013, 07:39 AM
It is actually rather fast. The SSD being the key.

Once you adapt to Win 8 its not bad. My 7 year old figured it out immediately.

I do not like it. Just do not like. I'll stick with 7.

CEH
01-01-2013, 08:12 AM
No, I just work in a cheap industry. Lol. In reality I don't "need" a laptop as much as it would just make work more convenient. I have a desktop at the studio, a laptop would just allow me to get my work done at Dove Valley, Pepsi Center, etc. instead of having to keep driving back to cut audio.

Happy New Year. I would then consider if the Mac will save me more time in my job (Time is money) than the cheaper Intel box otherwise take the extra $800 and buy a 60 inch TV to watch the Broncos kick some ass

BTW, I hear you all the time on 102.3

broncosteven
04-12-2014, 09:17 PM
I finally broke down and upgraded my i5 desktop.

I bought a Crucial m500 SSD and got a full version of Win8.1 Pro (I have a Windows domain at the house).

Not blinding, head turning fast but it does boot quicker and so far everything has worked at the speed one would expect a fast computer with decent RAM to work without bogging down.

It is funny how stuff like installing Chrome which should have been simple were hard, I had to add google.com to trusted sites whereas other apps downloaded quickly and painlessly.

Will be interested to see how my DAW works on the SSD especially when recording audio.

Hasn't crashed yet!

kappys
04-13-2014, 10:35 AM
I have a windows 8 laptop. Initially very frustrating until I learned the shortcut keys but now that I have I love it. It is a touchscreen and reversible so it can act like a tablet as well. I should note my computing g needs are not advanced mostly just email PDF miscrosoft word and PowerPoint.

Kaylore
04-13-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm on Windows 8.1 pro as well. I modified the interface to be more windows 7-esque. I like it. It's very stable. We did break down and get an Ipad 4 since I posted in this thread years ago. We do love it, but syncing with my computer isn't an issue.

And Itunes still sucks. Googleplay all the way.

gyldenlove
04-13-2014, 11:15 AM
I am on a win 8 laptop as well, it works well for me. Very quick and intuitive.

Arkie
04-13-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm thinking about getting an iPad or Nexus. Any recommendations?

StugotsIII
04-13-2014, 12:16 PM
One of the best purchases I ever made was getting my Macbook Pro.

They are just way better than PC's...

Easier to use
Less issues with viruses
Less issue...period.

gyldenlove
04-13-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking about getting an iPad or Nexus. Any recommendations?

I like how customizable the nexus is, but the experience is not as streamlined as ipad and it you do root it you need to work a bit harder to upgrade the OS.

baja
04-13-2014, 12:55 PM
As a Mac Book Pro user I get a kick out of PC users saying after tweaking their NEW PC's they hardly ever crash anymore. I have used my Mac Book Pro out of the box for 4 years now and I don't even know what a crash looks like.

MaloCS
04-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Macs are horrible. I'm a professional web designer and illustrator and the Mac I had at my last day job crashed several times a day. Once I switched to Windows 7 at that job my production went through the roof. I'm now on Windows 8 and I LOVE it. I will NEVER use OSX or a Mac computer again, ever.

However, Apple's iOS products are leaps and bounds better than anything else on the market right now. Why? Because iOS has the development base that Microsoft lacks. If Microsoft took their head out of their ass and paid to port Adobe's creative suite to Windows 8's Metro paradigm they would run away with the market. It's my opinion that PCs running Windows are much better than Macs running OSX.

Go Windows or go home. Macs blow. Yes, I'm as much a Microsoft fan boy as much as you guys are Apple fanbois. And yes, I think Steve Jobs, no matter how brilliant, was a horrible excuse for a human being. He's dead and I send my condolences to his family but good grief, the man was a world class a-hole.

http://youtu.be/yg7Xh0m_Oco

Action
04-13-2014, 01:44 PM

Just because it hasn't made a huge impact in a particular field, doesn't mean it hasn't done anything for the world. The reality is, Apple has done a lot for the world and have made huge impacts in many fields.

For starters, being a solid competitor as an legitimate alternative to Windows/PC, thus pushing those companies forward, is far more important than anything Microsoft/IBM can do on their own.

broncosteven
04-13-2014, 01:51 PM
One of the best purchases I ever made was getting my Macbook Pro.

They are just way better than PC's...

Easier to use
Less issues with viruses
Less issue...period.

Fact is I don't want to pay what it would cost for a like Mac system.

gyldenlove
04-13-2014, 02:12 PM
As a Mac Book Pro user I get a kick out of PC users saying after tweaking their NEW PC's they hardly ever crash anymore. I have used my Mac Book Pro out of the box for 4 years now and I don't even know what a crash looks like.

I have crashed every mac I have worked with the last 5 years - and I always get the same response, that is weird it never does that when I use it.

If it wasn't so expensive and more software ran on mac OS I would consider it, but it is just too limited for me.

baja
04-13-2014, 02:50 PM
I have crashed every mac I have worked with the last 5 years - and I always get the same response, that is weird it never does that when I use it.

If it wasn't so expensive and more software ran on mac OS I would consider it, but it is just too limited for me.

Good we have choices.

Chris
04-13-2014, 04:05 PM
My macbook pro crashes fairly regularly, btw. More than my PC did. It also sounds like a fricking 747 half the time after two years of use.

broncosteven
04-13-2014, 04:23 PM

Yep, I helped my friend who is also my guitar teacher buy an iMac 27" last year, she paid well over $3k for it. Got it unboxed and set up and it locked up right away after we installed Office on it. I give it credit, after a couple of lockups it did finally work.

Her old mac crashed hard when doing an OS upgrade to Leopard so she broke down and bought a new one.

But Mac's are perfect...