PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Cannon Fodder: Elway buys Broncos

dictionary
12-27-2012, 03:40 PM
To be honest, I have no idea if this has been posted, and I am far to lazy to research at this point in my holiday drunken debauchery. So, I have always thought that Elway, post career, was angling for [Broncos] ownership at some point and given Bowlen's relationship with Elway, my question to you all is: what is the likelihood that this becomes reality?

Discuss.

DomCasual
12-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes, it does.

Atwater His Ass
12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up, but it would depend on the Kaiser situation. he made a stink when Bowlen sold a minority share to Elway previously.

Kaylore
12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Bowlen's broke so it would probably only cost seven dollars.

Kaylore
12-27-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up, but it would depend on the Kaiser situation. he made a stink when Bowlen sold a minority share to Elway previously.

Kaiser is dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/23/business/edgar-f-kaiser-jr-former-denver-broncos-owner-dies-at-69.html?_r=0

BigPlayShay
12-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Kaiser is dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/23/business/edgar-f-kaiser-jr-former-denver-broncos-owner-dies-at-69.html?_r=0

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjWz61V1HJtk88dqX_7iItX_5MvSfWU 8y66NApSNcUHlLAaHyiPw

Atwater His Ass
12-27-2012, 03:57 PM
I didn't see in there where the right of first refusal died with him.
Could have been some weird deal where it passed to a family member or something.
Anyway, I guess Bowlen is in the clear.

extralife
12-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Elway doesn't have the kind of money necessary to buy an NFL team, come on.

DomCasual
12-27-2012, 04:09 PM

Your statement is false, good sir!

hookemhess
12-27-2012, 04:10 PM

I imagine he would be the face of an investment group that buys the team.

extralife
12-27-2012, 04:10 PM
it would cost a minimum of one billion dollars to purchase the Broncos. Elway is not a billionaire. he would need a group of random, faceless investors to front most of the cash.

kupesdad
12-27-2012, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=Kaylore;3764019]Kaiser is dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/23/business/edgar-f-kaiser-jr-former-denver-broncos-owner-dies-at-69.html?_r=0[/QUO

Which would make any argument he had sort of muffled....

ludo21
12-27-2012, 04:14 PM
he owns dealerships tho! ;D

Atwater His Ass
12-27-2012, 04:19 PM
I would be worried with strapping the team financially or using it as some sort of collateral with a group of investors that probably don't care about the Denver Broncos. It would be horrible if it somehow didn't work out a few years down the road and the team went into a freefall due to poor ownership.

Paladin
12-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Nope. Sold those.

Paladin
12-27-2012, 04:20 PM
he owns dealerships tho! ;D

Nope. Sold those.

OBF1
12-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Elway would break off 2K with his own team.

Now it is time for you to go back and enjoy your drunken coma :thumbs:

DBroncos4life
12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Kaiser is dead.

Soooooo you're saying what exactly.....

Requiem
12-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Derek Wolfe is going to buy it. That brown paper bag money.

ZONA
12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Bowlen should sell all the shares to the people of Colorado. Let the people be the owner. John can keep his shares though :)

Aftermath
12-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Elway + Manning ownership

SoCalBronco
12-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Elway could probably put together a group of investors.

Bacchus
12-27-2012, 04:47 PM

Yep that is what he'd have to do. I say let Mrs. Bowlen should run the team. She looks real sharp.

CEH
12-27-2012, 04:59 PM

Yes one rumored investor/friend would the head of Janus Capital Group here in Denver

baja
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Soooooo you're saying what exactly.....

That his heart stopped?

El Guapo
12-27-2012, 05:07 PM

That's what I was going to say. !Booya!

Lestat
12-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Kaiser is dead.

the only issue with that is the clause in the contract is thought to carry over to his family at the time of his death.

DomCasual
12-27-2012, 05:50 PM
it would cost a minimum of one billion dollars to purchase the Broncos. Elway is not a billionaire. he would need a group of random, faceless investors to front most of the cash.

The headlines all over the sports world this spring were, "Magic Johnson buys the Dodgers!"

The sale price ended up being a little over $2 billion. As it turns out, Magic Johnson wrote a check for $50 million of that.

If Elway wanted to buy the Broncos, I guarantee you he would be able to put together the investors. And what's more, I would be really surprised if they were unwilling to let him take over the roll of CEO. His roll would then be similar to the one Al Davis had with the Raiders over the past four decades.

Lestat
12-27-2012, 06:16 PM
The headlines all over the sports world this spring were, "Magic Johnson buys the Dodgers!"

The sale price ended up being a little over $2 billion. As it turns out, Magic Johnson wrote a check for $50 million of that.

If Elway wanted to buy the Broncos, I guarantee you he would be able to put together the investors. And what's more, I would be really surprised if they were unwilling to let him take over the roll of CEO. His roll would then be similar to the one Al Davis had with the Raiders over the past four decades.

i know what you were trying to say. but this is about as bad an example as you could have used.
Davis was a senile fool in the last 10-15 years of his Raiders ownership tenure.

Victor
12-27-2012, 06:31 PM
To be honest, I have no idea if this has been posted, and I am far to lazy to research at this point in my holiday drunken debauchery. So, I have always thought that Elway, post career, was angling for [Broncos] ownership at some point and given Bowlen's relationship with Elway, my question to you all is: what is the likelihood that this becomes reality?

Discuss.

I hate it when people start a thread with a statement or a question, then state "discuss". It's so pretentious.

Discuss.

DomCasual
12-27-2012, 06:37 PM
i know what you were trying to say. but this is about as bad an example as you could have used.
Davis was a senile fool in the last 10-15 years of his Raiders ownership tenure.

Right, but the example works, from a structural perspective. He started with a minority interest, and has acquired and sold various pieces over the years. But when you ask any sports fan who owns the Raiders, they will answer, "Al Davis." Now, they might answer, "That creepy Albino dude with the bowl haircut" - but I digress.

And, in fairness, "John Elway" to a lifetime Raiders fan is probably just as dirty a term as "Al Davis" is to us.

But, in defense of us, we have this image to put to the name:

http://media.baycitizen.org/uploaded/images/2011/2/al-davis-2/lightbox/Al%20Davis.jpg

DomCasual
12-27-2012, 06:41 PM
FYI - by comparison, Mark Davis is a male supermodel.

http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/wp-content/slideshow/2012/12/25-athletes-with-horrible-haircuts/medium/mark-davis-kirby-lee.jpg

DBroncos4life
12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
That his heart stopped?

That never stopped Al Davis 8')

baja
12-27-2012, 06:56 PM
FYI - by comparison, Mark Davis is a male supermodel.

http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/wp-content/slideshow/2012/12/25-athletes-with-horrible-haircuts/medium/mark-davis-kirby-lee.jpg

I think this guy might be the missing link.

Cito Pelon
12-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Nope. Sold those.

Elway still owns a lot of auto dealerships, bought a few more just last year.

Depending on how extended he is with all his business interests, if he sold them he could put together cash enough to be the majority owner. If his businesses are mostly owned by the bank that would be a show stopper. We'll see, I've been expecting Elway to be majority owner of the Broncs at some point.

Chris
12-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Derek Wolfe is going to buy it. That brown paper bag money.

Meth money.

gunns
12-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Oh yeah, I cringed when I read that.

ColoradoDarin
12-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Papa John's Chevrolet Broncos at Mile High.

Rock Chalk
12-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Your statement is false, good sir!

No, not really.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nfl/john-elway-net-worth/

John's net worth is only 45 million. Broncos are worth over a billion dollars.

Rock Chalk
12-27-2012, 07:28 PM
http://celebnetworth.org/john-elway-net-worth-salary

Seems he is worth 50 million by the most current estimate.

This was last updated on May 8th.

Rock Chalk
12-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Still, to control the franchise Elway will need to come up with the cash to buy 30 percent of it, along with a coalition of investors to purchase the rest. With NFL team values shooting to $1 billion and beyond, it could be a challenge for Elway to come up with $300 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/24/elway-could-be-in-line-to-own-the-broncos-if-he-has-the-cash/

Hamrob
12-27-2012, 07:35 PM
I wonder how much Elway's x-wife is worth??

He sold those dealerships to Wayne Huizenga for close to $100m. He probably made another $100m during his career. Not to mention endorsement deals.

So, where did the money go?

1. Bad investment deals
2. His X got 1/2 or more

DomCasual
12-27-2012, 07:47 PM
I wonder how much Elway's x-wife is worth??

He sold those dealerships to Wayne Huizenga for close to $100m. He probably made another $100m during his career. Not to mention endorsement deals.

So, where did the money go?

1. Bad investment deals
2. His X got 1/2 or more

What makes you think he doesn't still have it?

I know he had one deal go bad - the sports site he did with Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky. He did it when the Internet was absolutely blowing up. But I never got the sense that he had all that much into it. I want to say that I remember it being less than $5 million, but I could be wrong. Otherwise, I've never heard of him having lost money.

Lestat
12-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Right, but the example works, from a structural perspective. He started with a minority interest, and has acquired and sold various pieces over the years. But when you ask any sports fan who owns the Raiders, they will answer, "Al Davis." Now, they might answer, "That creepy Albino dude with the bowl haircut" - but I digress.

And, in fairness, "John Elway" to a lifetime Raiders fan is probably just as dirty a term as "Al Davis" is to us.

http://media.baycitizen.org/uploaded/images/2011/2/al-davis-2/lightbox/Al%20Davis.jpg

you should have stated that first lol. cause again i know what you meant but seeing it without being qualified evokes Jerry Jones and Al Davis failures of late rather than past glory.

DomCasual
12-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Still, to control the franchise Elway will need to come up with the cash to buy 30 percent of it, along with a coalition of investors to purchase the rest. With NFL team values shooting to $1 billion and beyond, it could be a challenge for Elway to come up with $300 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/24/elway-could-be-in-line-to-own-the-broncos-if-he-has-the-cash/

What do you base that on?

DomCasual
12-27-2012, 07:59 PM

Never mind. I clicked on the link (duh). I don't think that's true, though. It all depends on who you partner with. It's no different than any business. The expectations lie with the investors. I would think, given the ridiculous inflation when it comes to the prices of these teams, that lots of potential silent investors might be interested in owning a team, but not very interested in actually running it. For a partner like Elway, they might want to make sure he has significant skin in the game to partner with him - but how much skin is relative.

Using the Magic Johnson scenario with the Dodgers, he ended up putting in about 2 1/2 percent.

Lestat
12-27-2012, 08:05 PM
What do you base that on?

that's what the article says, he posted a snippet of it.
though if i'm not mistaken you have to plunk down a certain amount of cash to assume ownership. a good chunk of most sale prices is assuming debt(Khan took on 350 mil in debt to finance part of the sale of the Jags which was around 760 mil)

Bacchus
12-27-2012, 08:18 PM
No, not really.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nfl/john-elway-net-worth/

John's net worth is only 45 million. Broncos are worth over a billion dollars.

that is a kick ass site, thanks

Kaylore
12-27-2012, 09:00 PM
the only issue with that is the clause in the contract is thought to carry over to his family at the time of his death.

True, but the thought that they would get as pissy as Kaiser did, who ultimately lost his suit against Bowlen, by the way, is unlikely. They were never direct owners and as I understand are pretty "Canadian" up there and their interest in the Broncos is pretty small beyond the financial aspect.

The other thing is Bowlen could begin to sell more of his shares of the franchise over to Elway - especially if no one in the family wants to run things. If Elway could secure 20% of the team in the next decade, it wouldn't be hard to get a group together to buy the rest.

Lestat
12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
True, but the thought that they would get as pissy as Kaiser did, who ultimately lost his suit against Bowlen, by the way, is unlikely. They were never direct owners and as I understand are pretty "Canadian" up there and their interest in the Broncos is pretty small beyond the financial aspect.

The other thing is Bowlen could begin to sell more of his shares of the franchise over to Elway - especially if no one in the family wants to run things. If Elway could secure 20% of the team in the next decade, it wouldn't be hard to get a group together to buy the rest.

very true. honestly wouldn't mind Elway as owner and Peyton as executive VP.
that would be hella sweet and the recruiting potential would be insane.

mhgaffney
12-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Bowlen should sell all the shares to the people of Colorado. Let the people be the owner. John can keep his shares though :)

Excellent idea!

It worked in Green Bay. Why not in Colorado?

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-27-2012, 11:00 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAKE THE SCARY MAN GO AWAY MAKE IT GO AWAY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY MAKE IT GO AWAY <--- lord i apologize but mother F thats scary

swaiy
12-27-2012, 11:02 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjWz61V1HJtk88dqX_7iItX_5MvSfWU 8y66NApSNcUHlLAaHyiPw

ROFL!

Perfect.

broncocalijohn
12-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Nope. Sold those.

Wrong! He owns dealerships and there are two of them in California. One used to be Crown Toyota/Acura in Rancho Cucamonga. He also owned one with my cousin before selling it. He just sold the ones tied to the big $85 million deal in Colorado.

enjolras
12-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Nope. Sold those.

Still owns two I believe.

DenverBroncosJM
12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Wrong! He owns dealerships and there are two of them in California. One used to be Crown Toyota/Acura in Rancho Cucamonga. He also owned one with my cousin before selling it. He just sold the ones tied to the big $85 million deal in Colorado.

Was just about to post this. I think he also owns the one in manhattan beach.

http://iphone.crowntoyota.com/index.htm#index_p_2Ehtm

Jesterhole
12-28-2012, 04:56 AM

+1

There is no doubt Elway is positioning himself to one day own the team. He'll need help, which is why I really like the Manning idea. Random, and who knows if it actually has a chance, but exciting!

Punisher
12-28-2012, 06:48 AM
I think scrooge mcduck has first dibs

Drek
12-28-2012, 07:54 AM

Hell, its not like anyone knows what Elway's compensation for being President of Football Operations entails. For all we know Bowlen is already paying him with team shares. He did try to give Elway 7% when he retired after all.

I'd expect when Pat is too old to effectively manage the team or passes away he and Elway will have a succession plan in place whereby Elway takes over day to day ownership while a group of partners help fund the buyout of Bowlen's family. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Elway has already set up an agreement with Manning which sees him buy in as well.

Kaylore
12-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Hell, its not like anyone knows what Elway's compensation for being President of Football Operations entails. For all we know Bowlen is already paying him with team shares. He did try to give Elway 7% when he retired after all.

I'd expect when Pat is too old to effectively manage the team or passes away he and Elway will have a succession plan in place whereby Elway takes over day to day ownership while a group of partners help fund the buyout of Bowlen's family. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Elway has already set up an agreement with Manning which sees him buy in as well.

That's a good point. We don't know how Elway is getting paid. Options in the team could be part of his compensation. Also remember they've been partners before with the arena league, so it's not like Elway and Bowlen haven't been in contact for the past decade.

Mountain Bronco
12-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Stop with all of your nonsense. The NFL is a good investment and Elway would have the investors lined up in a heartbeat to buy the Broncos if that was something he wanted to do when Pat dies, if his kids want to sell it.

Beantown Bronco
12-28-2012, 08:32 AM
very true. honestly wouldn't mind Elway as owner and Peyton as executive VP.
that would be hella sweet and the recruiting potential would be insane.

Time to make Peyton the VP next year. Pay him $24 mil for that job and $1 mil to QB the Broncos.

Think about the cap savings! :)

bronco militia
12-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Time to make Peyton the VP next year. Pay him $24 mil for that job and $1 mil to QB the Broncos.

**** YOU AL!

http://www.neontommy.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300x225/AlDavis.jpg?1355002544

Drek
12-28-2012, 08:59 AM
That's a good point. We don't know how Elway is getting paid. Options in the team could be part of his compensation. Also remember they've been partners before with the arena league, so it's not like Elway and Bowlen haven't been in contact for the past decade.

It also negates the Kaiser deal in a strictly legalese sense, since the option Kaiser held was the ability to match someone else's buying price. You can't really argue that Kaiser can match Elway's "price" - services rendered as team president.

uplink
12-28-2012, 10:23 AM

I do think Elway will try and keep Manning around after his playing days as a partial owner and/or a front office position. Manning will have offers from the Colts(maybe if they patch things up) + offers from the networks.

uplink
12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
As well as Elway is doing, Bowlen will know the broncos are in good hands if he sells to Elway. That means a lot, its not just about money for Bowlen.

ColoradoDarin
12-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Peyton already bought into the Memphis Grizzlies, don't know that he would want to own both (though I'm sure he could if he wants to)

Bacchus
12-28-2012, 11:36 PM

And that is why the NFL does not allow teams to do that.

Drek
12-29-2012, 04:51 AM
Peyton already bought into the Memphis Grizzlies, don't know that he would want to own both (though I'm sure he could if he wants to)

I'm sure he'd much rather be a minority owner of a pro football team than a pro basketball team.

A lot of guys in Manning's situation (star athlete) can buy in to other pro sports teams easily because that is the circle they travel in via their agents, lawyers, etc.. If the opportunity arrives to buy in to something like that most savvy financial managers would strongly encourage it, since stable sports franchises have great growth rates and are therefore a great way to turn a quick profit.

Michael Jordan parlayed minority ownership in the Washington Wizards into a much larger share in the Charlotte Bobcats with this tactic. A lot of minority owners in baseball have done the same thing. Guys like Manning get the best pricing because of his name and the average fan "cred" it gives the group, and then once a new TV deal gets struck or something similar and revenues jump you cash out at a significant mark up.

Hell, Manning will probably have the means to be a 10-20% owner in a franchise if he really wants to when he gets done, given his current salary, past salaries, huge list of endorsement deals, and other investments.