PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider the current Broncos an elite team?

baja
12-27-2012, 11:38 AM
The phrase "elite team" is tossed around a lot this time of the year.

What makes a team "elite"

Elway 4 Life
12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Top 5 in offense and defense. I would have to say yes.

broncocalijohn
12-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I said more than one season but in reality, Elite makes it to the Super Bowl. You cant have 5 Elite teams in the NFL. Our 96 team can be considered Elite based on it being tied to the two SUper Bowl teams.

NFLBRONCO
12-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I said, no

Elite teams can win anywhere beat anyone. I do not feel we are at that level yet. I won't until we show we can beat best teams more often.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-27-2012, 11:56 AM
The transformation to an elite team is almost complete. The final test for elite teams are playoff performanceS. Not just one game in the playoffs.

Kaylore
12-27-2012, 12:00 PM
I think they're elite. Even if we have a let down in the playoffs, we're elite, which I don't think is going to happen, BTW.

I also don't think this is 1996 Redux, because we played in two playoff games last year, winning one. In 96 we hadn't been to the playoffs in three years, and hadn't won one in five. So much of the team had turned over from even the previous year that we were inexperienced.

This team is largely intact except that we've added a HOF QB. We'll be ready for our playoff run.

Fedaykin
12-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I think they're elite. Not necessarily the best, but certainly part of the elite few.

The only losses are to other elite teams (while all the other possibly elite teams have lost to non-elite teams), and they weren't blown out in any of those losses. Add in that those losses come off of a huge negative turnover ratio (including a very statistically improbable fumble loss rate) that has been rectified and I'm not worried about those losses.

Kaylore
12-27-2012, 12:10 PM
The other thing is in most of our losses we just made stupid mistakes. Basically that the majority of our problems have been self-inflicted. That means we've been the only ones in our way. That's a good thing.

elsid13
12-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Elite no, but good enough to win a Superbowl if everybody is on same page.

ZONA
12-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Cmon baja, for real? We've won 10 straight, our record is 12-3 and we have a chance for the #1 seed this week and you're asking if we think the Broncos are an elite team. Seriously? This is even a question?

All you have is the here and now. Anybody who is talking about maybe not elite if we don't win the in the playoffs, nobody can predict. All we can go by is where are the Broncos right now. Right now, yes they are elite, if you don't think so you are a retard.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-27-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't think there is one truly elite team this year. Every team has shown weakness and vulnerability. This isn't the type of year where an elite team has the best shot to win. It's the type of year where the hottest team who's on a roll has the best shot.

broncocalijohn
12-27-2012, 12:13 PM
For all of you calling this Broncos team Elite as of the 27th of December and no playoff games won but one (if you are counting last season) then you better call those San Diego Chargers team Elite. Afterall, they were 14-2 and dominated the AFC West for years.

baja
12-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Cmon baja, for real? We've won 10 straight, our record is 12-3 and we have a chance for the #1 seed this week and you're asking if we think the Broncos are an elite team. Seriously? This is even a question?

All you have is the here and now. Anybody who is talking about maybe not elite if we don't win the in the playoffs, nobody can predict. All we can go by is where are the Broncos right now. Right now, yes they are elite, if you don't think so you are a retard.

Check the poll results. You tell me.

The thing is the word "Elite" is like the word God it almost defies definition.

To some Elite means you have built a team that competes for a ring for several seasons for example Shanahan's 96 - 98 Broncos to others such as yourself it means a 12 win season.

ZONA
12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I said, no

Elite teams can win anywhere beat anyone. I do not feel we are at that level yet. I won't until we show we can beat best teams more often.

Uh oh, watch out. If you say a Broncos player is the best or the team isn't the best, you will get gang raped by the Homerism crowd.

I respect your opinion but I don't think it's fair to say we have to wait and see what they will look like in a month. The question is, do you think they are Elite, not do you think they will be elite in a month. So, based on right now, this very day, you have to say yes. Even if you didn't like their early losses, you still have to say they are because of 10 straight wins, 12-3 record. For real, it's not even a lagit question. How many other fans on forums would be even asking the question is their team elite, if their team was 12-3 and had 10 wins in a row. They'd be laughed off their forums immediately.

ZONA
12-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Check the poll results. You tell me.

The thing is the word "Elite" is like the word God it almost defies definition.

To some Elite means you have built a team that competes for a ring for several seasons for example Shanahan's 96 - 98 Broncos to others such as yourself it means a 12 win season.

Well maybe you should change your question structure. Be more specific. Because you're going to have the crowd who thinks they could be if we win the Superbowl. I was taking your question as are they elite right this very moment. Elite meaning, one of the best teams in the NFL. I mean, that's silly right. Of course they are, right now.

baja
12-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Well maybe you should change your question structure. Be more specific. Because you're going to have the crowd who thinks they could be if we win the Superbowl. I was taking your question as are they elite right this very moment. Elite meaning, one of the best teams in the NFL. I mean, that's silly right. Of course they are, right now.

I think the question is worded perfectly.

troyjbath
12-27-2012, 12:28 PM
I think this team can compete with any team in the league right now. They're top 5 in just about every statistic that matters, but let's see what they can do in the playoffs before we start calling them "elite".

Taco John
12-27-2012, 12:38 PM
You have to win something to be elite. Maybe even a couple of times.

I think we have the potential to be elite. But right now we're just a great team - not an elite one.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't think the giants are an elite team last year. Yet they won the SB. Playoff success are all about the hot team getting hot at the right time. Playing their best at the most important times. Someone mentioned SD 14-2 but tailing off in the playoffs. Green Bay is doing it right now. Wouldn't be surprised if they go to the SB

broncocalijohn
12-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I think this team can compete with any team in the league right now. They're top 5 in just about every statistic that matters, but let's see what they can do in the playoffs before we start calling them "elite".

That is the thing. Two other teams in the playoffs and division winners beat us this season. Only way to get over that is to beat them or everyone else in the playoffs.

Drunken is correct. Giants showed themselves this season. Elite can't be a flash in the pan. In needs to show consistency.

Kaylore
12-27-2012, 01:01 PM

I think we have the potential to be elite. But right now we're just a great team - not an elite one.

You clearly have a different definition. I don't think he means "Elite in the anals of NFL history." He means elite out of the teams playing right now. The Steelers have won SB's a few times. But they aren't even in the playoffs this post season. Are they elite?

rbackfactory80
12-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I have to say no. I no everyone will jump on this but my original argument against Peyton was him not playing as well in the post season as he does during the regular. I still am preparing for a major letdown, but hoping I am completely wrong. The one thing that makes me more of a believer is Peyton doesn't have to be perfect with how well our defense is playing. I hope he realizes that come playoff time.

I really want to buy into this team and think they are very good.

troyjbath
12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
That is the thing. Two other teams in the playoffs and division winners beat us this season. Only way to get over that is to beat them or everyone else in the playoffs.

Drunken is correct. Giants showed themselves this season. Elite can't be a flash in the pan. In needs to show consistency.

Exactly. The Broncos will have to avenge at least one of those losses in the playoffs. I hate when the sports media uses the term elite. Was the 16-0 Pats team elite? The term is too subjective and is used way too often by the folks in sports media.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
If elite is a group of people that are superior to others, then yes, a potentially 13-3 team that hasnt played a close game in like 10 weeks has to be considered elite.

R8R H8R
12-27-2012, 01:14 PM
I was originally going to say that we were elite, but after reading some of the responses, I have re-defined elite and changed my stance. I say we are definately at "elite potential", but that is all.

I now say that if we win the SB AND steamroll thru next season much like the 98 team, then we can call ourselves elite. In the meantime, we should just be content on being "legitimate superbowl contenders".

BroncoBuff
12-27-2012, 01:15 PM

By that definition of "elite," we're not obviously. But there are teams who win something, then come back weak the next season, so they'd never be rated elite, even though they'd won a Super Bowl.

My definition of "elite" are the teams recognized as the 3 or 4 best at the time. We are elite by that definition.

bowtown
12-27-2012, 01:16 PM
You clearly have a different definition. I don't think he means "Elite in the anals of NFL history." He means elite out of the teams playing right now. The Steelers have won SB's a few times. But they aren't even in the playoffs this post season. Are they elite?

And if there is one thing Kaylor knows, it's being Elite in the anals.

Quoydogs
12-27-2012, 01:21 PM
How do we stack up stat wise to our 96-98 broncos team ? I know we don't have the rushing yards but I bet our passing yardage is way up. Can one of you stat dudes work that up ?

Requiem
12-27-2012, 01:26 PM
We haven't won anything of substance yet. We are an extremely talented team.

ludo21
12-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Yes, we are the best team in the NFL right now and playing the best.

Denver is elite in terms of being the best regular season team. Time to show it in the playoffs and 'ship!

DBroncos4life
12-27-2012, 01:33 PM
How do we stack up stat wise to our 96-98 broncos team ? I know we don't have the rushing yards but I bet our passing yardage is way up. Can one of you stat dudes work that up ?Denver had 3429 yards passing in 1996, 5791 yards and 46 offensive TDs. Right now we have 5878 yards and 44 offensive TDs.

rbackfactory80
12-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Denver had 3429 yards passing in 1996, 5791 yards and 46 offensive TDs. Right now we have 5878 yards and 44 offensive TDs.

This comparison is ridonkulous. It's a ton easier to pick up yards today.

baja
12-27-2012, 01:42 PM

For how long at some point you start talking about a dynasty.

DBroncos4life
12-27-2012, 01:45 PM
This comparison is ridonkulous. It's a ton easier to pick up yards today.

So I shouldn't have answered him then?

rbackfactory80
12-27-2012, 01:47 PM
So I shouldn't have answered him then?

Nah man, you did the right thing. Just too hard to compare.

DBroncos4life
12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Nah man, you did the right thing. Just too hard to compare.

Well right now the 2011 defense has allowed just 76 more yards and 11 more points then the 1996 team. I think that is far more impressive.

baja
12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
According to poll voting so far 88% think the current Broncos are either elite or near elite.

Will we still be elite if we are one and done in the playoffs?

rbackfactory80
12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Well right now the 2011 defense has allowed just 76 more yards and 11 more points then the 1996 team. I think that is far more impressive.

Totally agree.

Side note--We keep NE under 30 we win.

bombay
12-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes. Excellent offense and defense, and special teams have been pretty good as well. Good veteran leadership on both sides of the ball, in addition to plenty of youthfull athleticism. Love this team.

Quoydogs
12-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Yes. Excellent offense and defense, and special teams have been pretty good as well. Good veteran leadership on both sides of the ball, in addition to plenty of youthfull athleticism. Love this team.

This is the best part about it. With the exception of Champ and Manning they are babies. This team could be unstoppable in a few years.

B-Large
12-27-2012, 02:15 PM
The phrase "elite team" is tossed around a lot this time of the year.

What makes a team "elite"

1.A group of people considered to be the best in a particular society or category, esp. because of their power, talent, or wealth.

A team with Manning throwing the rock, and with Miller and Doom able to tee-off with a lead, I would say this team is Elite or on the cusp. I think we can beat New England, the team I think in the class of the league right now. Until Manning retires this unit is going to be Elite....

B-Large
12-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Not too mention this team upgrades in the FA market and draft for the next few years as Manning refines his boys on Offense... :saywhat:

Not only do we take the AFCW to the house of sodom for the foreseeable future, watch out NFL as a whole....

You can't not be excited about this team...

huh??
12-27-2012, 02:39 PM
It seems that there are a few definitions of the word. When someone says, "Elite", do others think, "Legen- wait for it... DARY"?

Bacchus
12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
I guess you'd have to consider them elite. If they aren't then who is in today's NFL?

SonOfLe-loLang
12-27-2012, 02:50 PM
I love how we are speaking like elite has some specific definition to football.

Fedaykin
12-27-2012, 02:58 PM
I love how we are speaking like elite has some specific definition to football.

I would define it as statistically likely (based on on the field results) to end up in the first 3-5 places in the final pecking order.

The problem (and IMHO, fun) with football is the small # of games and the huge element of chance that brings to the table.

Atwater His Ass
12-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Good team, not elite. It wasn't that long ago early in the season when this team was truely struggling. Hell at halftime of the 24-0 SD game, I remember having the feeling that this season was a wash. I love the strides this team has made and there is no doubt they are very good. But elite teams win championships. Regular season hero's are about as important as pre-season hero's if it doesn't translate into post-season success.

The post season is where elite teams and elite players are made.

I mean look at some posters on this board for example. All the posturing about when and if and where we would eventually play NE in the playoffs...elite teams don't worry about that kind of stuff. They just go out and take care of business. With the '98 team, did you really ever feel in danger against any opponent? I didn't. That's elite. Even with the '97 team, confidence was very high, but I remember being as nervous as ever on that harrowing trip on the road through PIT and KC, and then the SB against GB, I wasn't as confident as I was against ATL the next year. There was a real possiblity to lose against GB, not so much ATL.

My point is that for everyone worrying about NE, those people shouldn't be calling this team elite.

baja
12-27-2012, 04:01 PM
I'd say we have all the ingredients to be elite;

1. We have a HOF QB at least for a few years.

2. We have a good to great defense that is mostly young

3. We have great kicking / kick coverage / kick returning ST's is filled with young and upcoming studs.

4. We have young studs at every skill position

5. Most importantly the Broncos have what appears to be a 'elite' GM in the making. If that is true than we can be looking not only elite but dynasty. Hey why not. ;D

cmhargrove
12-27-2012, 04:19 PM
We still have a few things to prove in the playoffs. The key things in my mind are:

Can we keep a ground game going against strong playoff contenders? Can Moreno keep rolling, and even break a few big plays (game changers)?

Can we find a way to shut down exceptional tight ends? This has been a problem for many, many years.

Can we beat the Patriots (especially with everything on the line)?

Check off that list, and I will call us elite.

baja
12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
We still have a few things to prove in the playoffs. The key things in my mind are:

Can we keep a ground game going against strong playoff contenders? Can Moreno keep rolling, and even break a few big plays (game changers)?

Can we find a way to shut down exceptional tight ends? This has been a problem for many, many years.

Can we beat the Patriots (especially with everything on the line)?

Check off that list, and I will call us elite.

I would add just a few things. A viable back up to Manning (The Broncos needed to have hit on OSweiler). We need to find a good young smart MLB.

Obviously we have other needs but these are the deal breakers to elite.

ZONA
12-27-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't think the giants are an elite team last year. Yet they won the SB. Playoff success are all about the hot team getting hot at the right time. Playing their best at the most important times. Someone mentioned SD 14-2 but tailing off in the playoffs. Green Bay is doing it right now. Wouldn't be surprised if they go to the SB

That's exactly why I said you need to define elite more. Sure the Giants won the Superbowl last year but they sure as hell don't look elite right now. Remember last year the Giants didn't just get hot in the playoffs, they started playing well the last several weeks of the season as well. This year, not so much. They're not elite, this year. So IMO, if you're gonna have people vote on something as vague as "are they elite" we have to have some context in which we are judging.

cmhargrove
12-27-2012, 04:34 PM
I would add just a few things. A viable back up to Manning (The Broncos needed to have hit on OSweiler). We need to find a good young smart MLB.

Obviously we have other needs but these are the deal breakers to elite.

Ok, this is now an issue of semantics. I think "elite" can last for the short term (1-3 years of domination). Your points might have more to do with the other word - dynasty.

If we can "consumate" our win streak by beating the teams that beat us early in the season, we have every right to use the word "elite." The Osweiler thing and future players/drafts are more about the "dynasty" thing.

Anyway, I don't care much about media classifications, but I love watching this team continue to develop. We are kicking ass, and really playing solid team football. Another spectacular Broncos season to watch (compliments of Elway).

baja
12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Ok, this is now an issue of semantics. I think "elite" can last for the short term (1-3 years of domination). Your points might have more to do with the other word - dynasty.

If we can "consumate" our win streak by beating the teams that beat us early in the season, we have every right to use the word "elite." The Osweiler thing and future players/drafts are more about the "dynasty" thing.

Anyway, I don't care much about media classifications, but I love watching this team continue to develop. We are kicking ass, and really playing solid team football. Another spectacular Broncos season to watch (compliments of Elway).

Well ya I was leaning more toward elite / dynasty with the Elway elite GM post and continued along the same lines when I quoted and added to your post. but I agree they are for sure fun as hell to watch. When you are playing the Chiefs on Sunday you gotta hunt for stuff to talk about. Not saying we got an automatic win here but there is not much to analyze.

Think we can hold Charles to under 100 yards?

Fedaykin
12-27-2012, 04:49 PM
My point is that for everyone worrying about NE, those people shouldn't be calling this team elite.

So in order to be elite, you must be head and shoulders above every other team?

baja
12-27-2012, 04:52 PM
We are a team nobody wants to play. Does that mean we are elite

Atwater His Ass
12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
So in order to be elite, you must be head and shoulders above every other team?

Yes.

troyjbath
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM

How do we know that nobody wants to play the Broncos? Just because the talking heads at ESPN and NFL network say so? I doubt Belichick and Kubiak are losing sleep over the Broncos right now. I also doubt that Fox and Manning are worried about the Pats. They won't waste a second thinking about the other team until they're the next opponent in the playoffs.

baja
12-27-2012, 05:25 PM
How do we know that nobody wants to play the Broncos? Just because the talking heads at ESPN and NFL network say so? I doubt Belichick and Kubiak are losing sleep over the Broncos right now. I also doubt that Fox and Manning are worried about the Pats. They won't waste a second thinking about the other team until they're the next opponent in the playoffs.

Why would they want to play at team on a ten game winning streak that is ranked top 5 in both offense and defense. Answer, they don't.

troyjbath
12-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Why would they want to play at team on a ten game winning streak that is ranked top 5 in both offense and defense. Answer, they don't.

:rofl:

Do you really think that Brady, Gronk, and Welker will be sitting on the Pats jet thinking to themselves "Wow, I really don't want to go play the Broncos. Those guys are top 5 in offense and defense"? Hell no....they'll be thinking "We're going to go destroy Denver in front of their home crowd"

baja
12-27-2012, 06:10 PM
:rofl:

Do you really think that Brady, Gronk, and Welker will be sitting on the Pats jet thinking to themselves "Wow, I really don't want to go play the Broncos. Those guys are top 5 in offense and defense"? Hell no....they'll be thinking "We're going to go destroy Denver in front of their home crowd"

No deep down where that nagging voice lives they know they won't beat the Broncos in Denver. No, no matter how hard they tell themselves just what you said they can't shake that voice that says, "Go to Denver and you are dog meat"

See I got just as much right to mind reading as you.

Go on ask your own little voice about playing NE.in Denver. Mine is singing "No Problem Dude".

troyjbath
12-27-2012, 07:11 PM
No deep down where that nagging voice lives they know they won't beat the Broncos in Denver. No, no matter how hard they tell themselves just what you said they can't shake that voice that says, "Go to Denver and you are dog meat"

See I got just as much right to mind reading as you.

Go on ask your own little voice about playing NE.in Denver. Mine is singing "No Problem Dude".

Here's my point Baja: What the fans and talking heads think doesn't matter. What you and I think doesn't matter. NFL coaches and players aren't paid to be scared of other teams, home or away. Each team spends the week preparing to win the next football game. When the ball leaves the tee, both teams are expecting to win the game.

baja
12-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Here's my point Baja: What the fans and talking heads think doesn't matter. What you and I think doesn't matter. NFL coaches and players aren't paid to be scared of other teams, home or away. Each team spends the week preparing to win the next football game. When the ball leaves the tee, both teams are expecting to win the game.

Well that's the way it's supposed to work but there are lots of shades of gray on this. I am sure the coaches hope they have erased all doubts but that is impossible. It's why you see some teams just going through the motions because they know the will lose. Or how about letting a team you should beat hang around, they make a play and than play with renewed passion because they now thing they can win. My point is attitude and belief are a big part of this game.

But in the end I agree with you it's the playoffs and nobody fears anyone at least they better not.

rbackfactory80
12-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Some teams thrive on going on the road and winning big games. NE isn't one of them.

NFLBRONCO
12-27-2012, 09:26 PM

I bet NE does.

NE in last 3 games reminds me of the Colts with Peyton vs Denver. Denver needs a perfect game to beat them. Denver might prove it in playoffs but, until the trend changes we are not elite.

baja
12-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I bet NE does.

NE in last 3 games reminds me of the Colts with Peyton vs Denver. Denver needs a perfect game to beat them. Denver might prove it in playoffs but, until the trend changes we are not elite.

Teams NE would rather play over playing the Broncos in Denver;

1.Houston

2. Indy

3. Cinci

4. Ravens in NE.

Do you agree?

dsmoot
12-28-2012, 09:37 AM
According to poll voting so far 88% think the current Broncos are either elite or near elite.

Will we still be elite if we are one and done in the playoffs?

Exactly. This is a world of what did you do today (at least very recently). Watch. If the Broncos go one and out in the playoffs, the national media and every non-Bronco fan around the country will poopoo the success of this year. The experts will come out and explain how it was just smoke and mirrors with the team playing six games (division) against poor competition, inflating the Bronco record. Add that to some of the weaker non-division opponents.

Everyone knows that the playoff pressure is nothing like the regular season where you know have another opportunity to correct your mistakes. The noose gets a whole lot tighter on every player and coach on the team. Expectations with the fans are raised much higher.

Someone said it earlier very clear. Elite teams can go anywhere, against anyone, against the playoff adversity and not fold. They simply win. Why was Jack Nicklaus an ELITE golfer. It isn't just because he had great talent. There are many golfers (and teams) with great talent. When the pressure was on, Jack didn't fold while everyone around him was throwing up on themselves. He didn't do it just once, he did it again and again and again.

There has to be a level of consistency and a record of performance over time. Why are repeat Superbowl victories so respected. It places you on pedestal of performance not many can match. That is an elite team. I am not stating you need repeat Superbowl victories to be elite. But what makes you elite, what separates you from the very, very good. Results above everyone around you.

Dedhed
12-28-2012, 09:42 AM
It's silly to throw out a term like "Elite" before a team has even won a playoff game. I wouldn't even begin to consider it until a team wins a SB.

Quoydogs
12-28-2012, 10:40 AM

I don't believe this for a second. They may say they worry only about the next game but you know everyone of them is picturing the Super bowl in there heads. I bet you they are planning more on who they think they will play in the playoff rather then a worthless KC team.

bronco militia
12-28-2012, 11:45 AM
I still think Brady and Belicheck will have no problem carving up this Broncos defense. Hopefully we'll get to see a rematch in Denver.

mhgaffney
12-28-2012, 01:27 PM
This is a failed thread.

Requiem
12-28-2012, 01:42 PM
People don't understand me because I'm bosshog on candy.

Mouth
12-28-2012, 04:05 PM
When I watch our games, I still think we're missing one or two pieces on defense. I also think our offense is under-achieving. That being said, I like our chances this year, and if we can stay healthy/keep the team together, we'll be truly dominating next year. Just too many mistakes this year. Nobody beats the broncos, quite like the broncos can.

Atwater His Ass
12-28-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't believe this for a second. They may say they worry only about the next game but you know everyone of them is picturing the Super bowl in there heads. I bet you they are planning more on who they think they will play in the playoff rather then a worthless KC team.

Absolutely coaches are preparing for different scenarios in the playoff run. It would be stupid not to spend time preparing for potential matchups.

troyjbath
12-28-2012, 04:56 PM

/facepalm I'm glad you're not coaching. This is the NFL, you can't overlook teams even if they're terrible.

Bacchus
12-28-2012, 11:34 PM
It's silly to throw out a term like "Elite" before a team has even won a playoff game. I wouldn't even begin to consider it until a team wins a SB.

I guess it depends on what your definition of elite is.

Is Denver an Elite NFL team this year? Of course

Is Denver an elite NFL team of all time? Too early to tell.

SoCalBronco
12-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Considering that I think Denver is the overall best team in the league right now, yes I obviously consider them elite.

KipCorrington25
12-29-2012, 12:36 AM
It's pretty sad when Denver fans worry about the regular season, that is what KC fans do, get all excited because they won the divison and then go one and out.

What you do in the playoffs is all that matters. We are Denver, get your **** together people.

Bacchus
12-29-2012, 01:04 AM
It's pretty sad when Denver fans worry about the regular season, that is what KC fans do, get all excited because they won the divison and then go one and out.

What you do in the playoffs is all that matters. We are Denver, get your **** together people.

you are stoopid.;) It's entrainment it is about enjoying it. I have enjoyed the regular season it was fun. If the Broncos lose in the first round it does not take away the enjoyment I have already had this year.

gyldenlove
12-29-2012, 02:31 AM
This team is elite, 2nd best point differential in the league, longest win streak in the league this year. This year is the first time since the last super bowl team we have a top offense and a top defense.

The eliteness of a team can be judged by realistic expectation, I think right now the Denver Broncos could only play in 2 of 62 possible games that we would not be favoured to win: @Seattle, @New England. I believe no other team in the league has a better rate of being favoured in all possible matchups.

UberBroncoMan
12-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Playoffs is where we'll find out.

capt. Jack
12-29-2012, 03:41 AM
NO, win the Super Bowl and we will think about it! Right now we are a Good team, that hasn't won anything other than the weak West division.

Arkansas Bronco
12-29-2012, 04:20 AM
Elite = The best of the best
Championship = The best of the best
If we win it we are if dont we arnt. fact.

baja
12-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Elite = The best of the best
Championship = The best of the best
If we win it we are if dont we arnt. fact.

Were the NYG elite last year?

Were the 2005 Steelers elite?

baja
12-29-2012, 07:25 AM
This team is elite, 2nd best point differential in the league, longest win streak in the league this year. This year is the first time since the last super bowl team we have a top offense and a top defense.

The eliteness of a team can be judged by realistic expectation, I think right now the Denver Broncos could only play in 2 of 62 possible games that we would not be favoured to win: @Seattle, @New England. I believe no other team in the league has a better rate of being favoured in all possible matchups.

I started this poll in part to see how we all defined the word "elite"

I my opinion gyldenlove has come up with the best definition of the word as it relates to a pro football team.

It was interesting to see the wide variation of how people defined "elite".

SportinOne
12-29-2012, 09:36 AM
we have had a very good season but the fact remains that we really haven't played very many good teams during our winning streak. If you are basing elite status on numbers, I think you have to consider our opponents.

When you really watch this team, I think the sum is greater than the parts, especially on defense. Guys like Mike Adams, Jim Leonard, some of our defensive linemen.. these aren't great players. But they are getting it done for the most part. I think that is a sign of great coaching and scheme. However, when the playoffs come we will see how good this team really is and although I think we have a defense that can keep us in games and at times be dominant against elite offenses, I wouldn't expect to hold the Patriots below 25.

TLDR: Elite? I don't think so but I could be wrong.

PS: We really don't need to be elite to win the super bowl, just opportunistic and effective.

peacepipe
12-29-2012, 09:49 AM
we have had a very good season but the fact remains that we really haven't played very many good teams during our winning streak. If you are basing elite status on numbers, I think you have to consider our opponents.

When you really watch this team, I think the sum is greater than the parts, especially on defense. Guys like Mike Adams, Jim Leonard, some of our defensive linemen.. these aren't great players. But they are getting it done for the most part. I think that is a sign of great coaching and scheme. However, when the playoffs come we will see how good this team really is and although I think we have a defense that can keep us in games and at times be dominant against elite offenses, I wouldn't expect to hold the Patriots below 25.

TLDR: Elite? I don't think so but I could be wrong.

PS: We really don't need to be elite to win the super bowl, just opportunistic and effective.
In all reality,every season an elite team is going to have 6-10 opponents that are easy wins. Look at the patriots, at a minimum they have 6 easy wins a yr being in the afc east.

peacepipe
12-29-2012, 10:07 AM
During our 10 game win streak we're winning by an avg. 13.6 points a game.14.9 if you include all 12 wins.
10.4 if losses are included. Not too shabby.

dsmoot
12-29-2012, 10:46 AM
During our 10 game win streak we're winning by an avg. 13.6 points a game.14.9 if you include all 12 wins.

Not bad. Means nothing if we do nothing in the playoffs

peacepipe
12-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Not bad. Means nothing if we do nothing in the playoffs

That's the case for any team going into the playoffs.

Quoydogs
12-29-2012, 10:50 AM

That point 4 is huge.

Agamemnon
12-29-2012, 10:50 AM
I get the impression a lot of people don't actually understand what the word 'elite' means.

Presently the Broncos are one of the best teams in the NFL. Therefore they are elite.

dsmoot
12-29-2012, 10:55 AM
I started this poll in part to see how we all defined the word "elite"

I my opinion gyldenlove has come up with the best definition of the word as it relates to a pro football team.

It was interesting to see the wide variation of how people defined "elite".

Why dont you take the perspective of the players. None of them would even respond to this question until they have accomplished something in the postseason. Even if you asked them off the record. Can you imagine the look Manning or Champ would give you. They do this for a living, they realize how difficult and how fine a line it takes to play at an elite level. We think we know but do any of us really know.

dsmoot
12-29-2012, 11:00 AM
That's the case for any team going into the playoffs.

So why are we so quick to hang a mantle on a team that has no sense of accomplishment behind it. No playoff victories in a given season puts you in the same status as 26 other teams. Doesn't sound very elite to me.

baja
12-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Why dont you take the perspective of the players. None of them would even respond to this question until they have accomplished something in the postseason. Even if you asked them off the record. Can you imagine the look Manning or Champ would give you. They do this for a living, they realize how difficult and how fine a line it takes to play at an elite level. We think we know but do any of us really know.

Doesn't work - It's like asking a women if she thinks she is a 10.

Mouth
12-29-2012, 11:34 AM
So why are we so quick to hang a mantle on a team that has no sense of accomplishment behind it. No playoff victories in a given season puts you in the same status as 26 other teams. Doesn't sound very elite to me.

We do it because we are fans. Since the vast majority of us have no effect on the team, we like to feel like we are a part of it. There is really no point in the 2-3 hours of pre-game coverage, but people watch it. Also, the talking heads on TV like to make themselves sound smart.

Mouth

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2012, 11:39 AM
I get the impression a lot of people don't actually understand what the word 'elite' means.

Presently the Broncos are one of the best teams in the NFL. Therefore they are elite.

I look at it this way we have only proved we can beat avg banged up or lousy teams. To me that isn't elite just good team having a great fun year. The playoffs will show how far we progressed this year. Going in I think we are the 3rd best team in afc playoffs behind NE and Houston . Can we beat them sure but, we need to prove it before I call this team elite.

I don't see any team clearly better then the other this year.

lonestar
12-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Wow what a bunch of old ladies pissing and moaning about a mythical thing.

peacepipe
12-29-2012, 12:01 PM

You apparently don't comprehend what elite is. Either way there are 32 teams in the NFL,anything the patriots ,packers,texans accomplished doesn't mean a thing if they lose in the first round. So by your standard there are no elite teams.

Dedhed
12-29-2012, 12:50 PM
I guess it depends on what your definition of elite is.

Is Denver an Elite NFL team this year? Of course

No way you can say that. Our record is 2-3 against teams that will make the playoffs. The Bengals and the Ravens who have fallen off a cliff in the last month because of injuries.

This team has not done anything yet that is worthy of being called elite. They've handled the weak teams on their schedule; that is all.

broncocalijohn
12-29-2012, 12:53 PM
You apparently don't comprehend what elite is. Either way there are 32 teams in the NFL,anything the patriots ,packers,texans accomplished doesn't mean a thing if they lose in the first round. So by your standard there are no elite teams.

maybe you judge a team Elite by after the season has ended. Easy to judge the Super Bowl winner as elite. Not as easy if they don't make the SB or don't win it. I think there are Elite teams currently (to this point). I just want to see us beat some of those good teams which gives us that opportunity in the 2nd round.

Agamemnon
12-29-2012, 12:55 PM
No way you can say that. Our record is 2-3 against teams that will make the playoffs. The Bengals and the Ravens who have fallen off a cliff in the last month because of injuries.

This team has not done anything yet that is worthy of being called elite. They've handled the weak teams on their schedule; that is all.

I see people making this kind of argument fairly often, and I think it's kind of funny. Do you honestly think the team right now is the same team that started the season 2-3? That's what you seem to be arguing, and it honestly cracks me up.

broncocalijohn
12-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Wow what a bunch of old ladies pissing and moaning about a mythical thing.

Once again a post by a guy that shows his age. It is a discussion. If you don't want to participate in it then skip the thread instead of jumping up your post count.

broncocalijohn
12-29-2012, 12:59 PM
I see people making this kind of argument fairly often, and I think it's kind of funny. Do you honestly think the team right now is the same team that started the season 2-3? That's what you seem to be arguing, and it honestly cracks me up.

Because we see them as really good or even great. That describes probably 8-10 teams. Elite is the choosen few. Yes, we are on fire right now but losing to those 3 teams put us on the wait and see perspective. In a few weeks, that can all change.

Broncos_OTM
12-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Agree

Dedhed
12-29-2012, 01:04 PM
You apparently don't comprehend what elite is. Either way there are 32 teams in the NFL,anything the patriots ,packers,texans accomplished doesn't mean a thing if they lose in the first round.

Correct. There is, at the most, one elite team in the league per year.

Dedhed
12-29-2012, 01:14 PM
What I find funny is people calling us elite because we've beaten 10 pretty bad teams and two mediocre ones.

I don't imagine this is the same team that started the season. I also don't imagine that are vast improvement doesn't have something to do with the level of our competition. Our strength of schedule to date is 22nd in the league. Easier than every playoff team except Cincinnati.

This team could be elite, but they haven't done anything yet that warrants that title.

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2012, 02:04 PM

I think everybody feels we are better since we played NE Hou Atl. Are we good enough to actually beat these teams in playoffs has to be determined.
NE and Houston have the ability to expose our weaknesses that don't show up playing KC Oak Clev Car type teams is the point.

Going into playoffs I see us 3rd in AFC. Does that mean we can't hit SB no but, we lost to those guys we have stuff to prove. Even if we get knocked out of playoffs we made huge strides this year and exceeded our goals in many ways something to build on next year.

NFLBRONCO
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
NE vs Den now mirrors Peyton's Indy team vs Den years ago. We have to play perfect to win.

Note: I know our overall team is better now but, if results don't change does that matter.

bombay
12-29-2012, 02:26 PM
I'll be damned. I would have sworn before the season started that everyone was proclaiming our schedule to be something like the 2nd toughest in the league.

peacepipe
12-29-2012, 02:27 PM
NE vs Den now mirrors Peyton's Indy team vs Den years ago. We have to play perfect to win.

Note: I know our overall team is better now but, if results don't change does that matter.

Not by a long shot,Indy never had a defense as good as we have.

CEH
12-29-2012, 03:16 PM

I think it's just the opposite circa 2001-2004 when Brady rode a defense and beat up on poor Peyton and hopefully now its reversed with Peyton riding our defense against poor old Uggs

OrangeSe7en
12-29-2012, 03:42 PM
It's nice to amass a lot of wins in the regular season but the real test is the playoffs. That's when you have to go through the meatgrinder of playing all the best teams. A lot of bad teams can't expose flaws the way the teams in the playoffs more typically can. On top of that, teams raise their level of play in the playoffs. It's more intense. Sometimes going 10-6 can better prepare you for the crucible of the playoffs.

OrangeSe7en
12-29-2012, 03:44 PM
What I find funny is people calling us elite because we've beaten 10 pretty bad teams and two mediocre ones.

I don't imagine this is the same team that started the season. I also don't imagine that are vast improvement doesn't have something to do with the level of our competition. Our strength of schedule to date is 22nd in the league. Easier than every playoff team except Cincinnati.

This team could be elite, but they haven't done anything yet that warrants that title.

Fair enough but, on the other hand, Denver might have had a chance at an even better record if they had played the better teams later in the season.

thinkin101
12-29-2012, 05:29 PM
I said more than one season but in reality, Elite makes it to the Super Bowl. You cant have 5 Elite teams in the NFL. Our 96 team can be considered Elite based on it being tied to the two SUper Bowl teams.

Hey there broncocalijohn. Have you ever noticed the picture of your dog looks like a tan furry penis. Lmao. Just sayin.

baja
12-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Checking the poll votes almost 90% of the votes believe the current Broncos are either elite or very close to elite.

Bacchus
12-29-2012, 06:56 PM

WTF difference does that make? NE lost to the Cardinals at home. Atlanta lost to the Saints and SF lost to the Rams.

So who is elite by your definition?

CEH
12-29-2012, 08:53 PM

Cincy is 6-1 since we beat them. Really fallen off the cliff. How hard is this

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cincinnati+Bengals

OrangeSe7en
12-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Cincy is 6-1 since we beat them. Really fallen off the cliff. How hard is this

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cincinnati+Bengals

And we caught them off of their bye week.