PDA

View Full Version : Colts to play starters!

cutthemdown
12-26-2012, 01:04 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/26/colts-not-resting-starters-against-texans/

Earlier this week, Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne said he thought the team was too young to rest starters in Week 17 against the Texans.

Coach Chuck Pagano agrees with him. Even though the Colts are locked into the fifth seed in the playoffs, Pagano said Wednesday that they will be approaching the game the same way they’ve approached all their other contests this season.

“It’s not in our DNA,’’ Pagano said, via the Indianapolis Star. “You want to win. You want to win at home. You want to go into the playoffs with momentum. We want to keep the momentum going.”

Texans might just start choking away the season before playoffs this yr.

bronco militia
12-26-2012, 01:07 PM
we'll see if they play the whole game....

Bacchus
12-26-2012, 01:09 PM
They arte locked into the 5th seed but if they beat Houston and NE wins then the next week in the playoffs they will travel to Houston instead of NE. I'm sure they would much rather do that.

That One Guy
12-26-2012, 01:15 PM
They arte locked into the 5th seed but if they beat Houston and NE wins then the next week in the playoffs they will travel to Houston instead of NE. I'm sure they would much rather do that.

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

TheChamp24
12-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I never understood resting the starters in the last week to be honest. Most of the time it never works out.

cutthemdown
12-26-2012, 01:56 PM
I never understood resting the starters in the last week to be honest. Most of the time it never works out.

I agree. You rest only banged up players. Then maybe a few key starters get more reps from the bkups. For example 12 carries for your starting rb instead of 20.

Kaylore
12-26-2012, 01:57 PM
The Colts beat writer on the radio was saying the FO is not a fan of the old way of resting your starters and will play the whole game.

Lestat
12-26-2012, 02:02 PM

the idea is to rest guys and avoid injuries but it was always kinda silly and backfired on the Colts and Packers in most cases.

ludo21
12-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Its all about Matchups in the NFL. Also about being healthy.... tough decision to be honest.

TheChamp24
12-26-2012, 02:06 PM
the idea is to rest guys and avoid injuries but it was always kinda silly and backfired on the Colts and Packers in most cases.

It backfires a lot, its happened with the Broncos as well.

Lestat
12-26-2012, 02:10 PM
It backfires a lot, its happened with the Broncos as well.

yep, i think the only time it worked for the Colts was when they went to their SB's.
really funny time was when the Jets got into the playoffs because of the Colts resting and then almost beat them.

Smiling Assassin27
12-26-2012, 02:13 PM
I play my starters for a half, maybe 3 quarters.

Br0nc0Buster
12-26-2012, 02:25 PM

No, they are traveling to Baltimore either way

The only way the Ravens can move up is if the Pats lose, otherwise they will be the 4th seed.

If for some reason the Pats lose and the Ravens win, the Colts would have to go to New England instead

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think there is a scenario where the Colts would play the Texans in the wildcard round

maher_tyler
12-26-2012, 02:35 PM
No, they are traveling to Baltimore either way

The only way the Ravens can move up is if the Pats lose, otherwise they will be the 4th seed.

If for some reason the Pats lose and the Ravens win, the Colts would have to go to New England instead

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think there is a scenario where the Colts would play the Texans in the wildcard round

You are correct. The lowest seed the Texans could be is #3. The #5 will play the #4. They will be going to either Baltimore or NE.

Rock Chalk
12-26-2012, 05:06 PM

hmmm...

UberBroncoMan
12-26-2012, 05:09 PM
I'd just rest banged up people. For us though, even if we were locked into #1 or #2, I'd be all about starting our players simple because our O uses games like these and new situations to continuously improve. Same with our D via the newness of Del Rio.

Man-Goblin
12-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Some of the time it works every time.

Kaylore
12-26-2012, 06:44 PM
hmmm...

http://youtu.be/rrckYWFgl4s

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rrckYWFgl4s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RedskinBronco
12-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Unfortunately it will not matter IMO. I got houston winning regardless.

cutthemdown
12-26-2012, 06:59 PM
hmmm...

sometimes it always the wrong move.

gunns
12-26-2012, 07:53 PM

I remember the 96 season when we locked up the division on the 1st of Dec. We rested guys the next 3 weeks, which I did not understand as we didn't wrap up homefield for two more weeks. Then we had the bye and then the infamous Jacksonville game.

ScottXray
12-26-2012, 08:00 PM
I remember the 96 season when we locked up the division on the 1st of Dec. We rested guys the next 3 weeks, which I did not understand as we didn't wrap up homefield for two more weeks. Then we had the bye and then the infamous Jacksonville game.

I Remember that. When the Jacksonville fiasco ensued I was SO pissed at Shanahan for thinking he could flip a switch and bring the team back up to speed without any playing time for 3 weeks. That was PART of why we lost that game.

The bogus PI on Tory James that extended a Jacksonville drive for points before the half was a big part. We were starting to build mo and would have got the ball back, except for that terrible call. Instead they got up another 7.

oubronco
12-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Go Colts!!!

HAT
12-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Go Colts!!!

Said every Bronco fan not living in Mexico...

Bronco Bob
12-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Backfired big time on the Broncos too. Came out way too rusty against the Jaguars as a result.

theAPAOps5
12-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Well since you say so why should they even play the game.

ol#7
12-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Well I am not sure what the Colts are doing here. They play next week regardless. Not like the 97 team where we had a month off or the Colts who had 3 weeks off. Teams win at a much higher rate after a bye week. Seems like 1 week off is about the perfect amount of time.

I am wary of rooting too hard for teams that Denver might play later on. 97 Jags and 2005 Pittsburgh taught me that.

enjolras
12-27-2012, 02:10 AM
Well I am not sure what the Colts are doing here. They play next week regardless. Not like the 97 team where we had a month off or the Colts who had 3 weeks off. Teams win at a much higher rate after a bye week. Seems like 1 week off is about the perfect amount of time.

I am wary of rooting too hard for teams that Denver might play later on. 97 Jags and 2005 Pittsburgh taught me that.

They have a lot going on. Pagano is taking the reigns again. That might affect procedure and general game-day stuff a bit. On top of that they're an inexperienced team that didn't play particularly well last week. This is a chance to work-out some hiccups and gain confidence (at home) against a upper-tier team.

Makes sense to me.

RedskinBronco
12-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Well since you say so why should they even play the game.

Because the schedule says so.

Houston needs this win badly and I really believe the Colts have been playing a little over their heads.

We will see what happens. I would love for the colts to pull it off but I see Houston hanging on to the 1 seed. That's ok as long as the broncos guarantee themselves the #2

55CrushEm
12-27-2012, 07:21 AM
I'd just rest banged up people. For us though, even if we were locked into #1 or #2, I'd be all about starting our players simple because our O uses games like these and new situations to continuously improve. Same with our D via the newness of Del Rio.

Unfortunately, by the time we play on Sunday at 4:25 EST......we won't be locked into a seed......because the New England game was flexed to 4:00 as well. It was originally going to be at 1:00 EST.

Tim
12-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Good, just like your Seattle San Fran prediction

WolfpackGuy
12-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Unfortunately, by the time we play on Sunday at 4:25 EST......we won't be locked into a seed......because the New England game was flexed to 4:00 as well. It was originally going to be at 1:00 EST.

Dammit.

Now I have to go out and watch the game.

55CrushEm
12-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Dammit.

Now I have to go out and watch the game.

Yeah. The only way we would've been locked into a seed before we played.....was if Houston WON, and New Egland LOST, before we played.....then we would've been the 2-seed.....no matter if we won or lost.

Now, we won't know.....cause the Cheats play at the same time as us.

WolfpackGuy
12-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Yeah. The only way we would've been locked into a seed before we played.....was if Houston WON, and New Egland LOST, before we played.....then we would've been the 2-seed.....no matter if we won or lost.

Now, we won't know.....cause the Cheats play at the same time as us.

Yeah, I figured the Broncos would have to play to win.

I'm just annoyed I can't have a second week in a row of watching the game from home.

LOL

Oh well, Wild Wings it is then on Sunday.

55CrushEm
12-27-2012, 07:56 AM
My worst nightmare is that Houston loses at 1:00 EST.

Then someone in the FO erroneously thinks we've locked up the 1 seed before we play.....we rest and lose.....New England wins.

We end up the 3-seed because of a mis-calculation by an idiot in the FO.

:giggle:

RedskinBronco
12-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Good, just like your Seattle San Fran prediction

Hopefully.

Bacchus
12-27-2012, 01:59 PM

I can easily see the Colts winning in a fired up Dome against a struggling Houston team. Colts should be favored. What is Foster's status?

RedskinBronco
12-27-2012, 02:26 PM
I can easily see the Colts winning in a fired up Dome against a struggling Houston team. Colts should be favored. What is Foster's status?

Kibiak said he is cleared.

Go colts! I just see Houston wrapping up 1 but I hope not. If they lose to the colts I see them flaming out early in playoffs with all the lost confidence

RhymesayersDU
12-27-2012, 03:17 PM

I agree that the Colts have a shot, but Vegas doesn't; Texans are favored by 6.5 points.

Also: Foster cleared to play.

MagicHef
12-27-2012, 03:56 PM
The Texans have never won in Indy. Not even last year, when they won the division and the Colts were making a hard run for Luck.

spiralism
12-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Emotions are going to be running high in Indy with Pagano back, the players love him and they want to make a statement...no good often comes out of losing into the playoffs. Also, the franchise in general owes Manning a favour.

Ambiguous
12-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Did you know that rooting for an outcome doesn't actually do anything?

broncosteven
12-27-2012, 07:26 PM

I think it is dumb if you have a bye to not start your starters but if we are up by say 24 I would start taking guys out near the end of the 3rd quarter.

You want guys to prepare and play consistently throughout the entire season and especially going into the playoffs but if I didn't have a bye and had a dinged up or older team I would consider starting the game with backups.

maven
12-28-2012, 03:54 PM
this is great newS! lol if the colts pull a victory.

Armchair Bronco
12-28-2012, 04:05 PM
If I were the Colts, I would want to make a statement in the final week of the regular season. The best way to do that is to the beat the team in the conference w/ the best record, and beat them handily

If the Colts are up by 21 points with 5 minutes left, fine: plug in the 2nd stringers. Otherwise, time to take the Texans to the woodshed for a nice little smackdown.

HAT
12-28-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree that the Colts have a shot

Keep the supermodel dream alive rhymes....:rofl:

DENVERDUI55
12-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Backfired big time on the Broncos too. Came out way too rusty against the Jaguars as a result.

I remember the colts laying down to Denver in week 17 so they could play them the week later and absolutely destroyed Denver.