PDA

View Full Version : Biggest bandwagon team in the NFL?

troyjbath
12-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Had a discussion with a few family members and friends over Christmas dinner about who's the biggest bandwagon team in the NFL. A friend of mine argued that Denver is on top because of Tebow and Manning. I argued that the Pats are the biggest bandwagon team in the league because of all the non-football fans I see sporting their gear. Most of the Pats fans I know couldn't name more than 2-3 players on the team and admit to not watching much NFL football. What to you think?

Rabb
12-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Steelers, and it annoys the **** out of me

bfoflcommish
12-26-2012, 01:12 PM
steeler cowboys niners and pats all equal

bronco militia
12-26-2012, 01:15 PM
the oakland raiders: the biggest group of fans that don't care who plays for their team

huh??
12-26-2012, 01:15 PM
steeler cowboys niners and pats all equal

I'd add the Packers as well. Maybe Raiders.

troyjbath
12-26-2012, 01:21 PM
the oakland raiders: the biggest group of fans that don't care who plays for their team

And biggest group of ex-cons. I'd bet that 1/4th of the Raider fan base is sporting the teardrop tattoo.

ludo21
12-26-2012, 01:23 PM
cowboyz

troyjbath
12-26-2012, 01:29 PM
cowboyz

I grew up next to the Wind River Indian Reservation and a lot of the natives were Dallas fans. I've always thought it was a little ironic.

RedskinBronco
12-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Cowboys and it's not even close.

There are of course hardcore cowboys fans, but they have the largest bandwagon fanbase that has no clue about anything.

Perfect example was I saw something on another message board where a guy said "David Carr is my hero!" after Brandon Carr picked off Big Ben and sealed that game basically.

An hour later "David Carr" was trending on twitter. I'm sure the former Houston QB is loving the attention LOL.

They have a lot of fans who do it just for attention, with the most existing in the DC MD VA areas. We call them NBD (Never Been to Dallas) Cowboys fans.

Steelers are probably 2nd, but they also have way more true fans than the Cowboys.

Edit: I do hear quite a bit though that RGIII has a lot of these bandwagon cowboys "fans" in Texas and in DMV area torn and jumping off the bandwagon. Guess it's always about how to best get attention with these types.

broncocalijohn
12-26-2012, 01:45 PM

If it is based on the retard mentality, this is the group. The thugs like the team look but have no clue how bad this team has been for 10 years. It is basically stating to everyone, "I have no clue how ****ty this team is but look how cool the colors look on me!" You can basically sell a JaMarcus Russell jersey for way more than anyone else can sell their ****tiest player jersey by far. No Chargers fan would wear a Leaf jersey.

UberBroncoMan
12-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Right now it's the Seahawks. Outside of them it's the Pats and Steelers, as has been for the last decade. Not seen a ton of Cowboy ones, but given the $ that team rakes in, it has to be true.

bronco militia
12-26-2012, 02:23 PM
If it is based on the retard mentality, this is the group. The thugs like the team look but have no clue how bad this team has been for 10 years. It is basically stating to everyone, "I have no clue how ****ty this team is but look how cool the colors look on me!" You can basically sell a JaMarcus Russell jersey for way more than anyone else can sell their ****tiest player jersey by far. No Chargers fan would wear a Leaf jersey.

yep....and 1a is cowboy fan.

Somewhere bewteen West Texas and and SoCal there is a fan factory for both franchises.

baja
12-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Gotta be "America's Team".

Bacchus
12-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Bandwagon fans usually go to cities that only support their teams when they are good.

Pats, Cowboys, Packers, Steelers ALWAYS have fans, they are opposite of bandwagon.

The most bandwagon fans I think of it Atlanta. That goes for the Falcons, Braves and Hawks. They only support their teams when they are winning.

Kaylore
12-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Cowboys and Steelers.

I will agree that Raider fans are the most clueless. Every preseason they are *sure* they are going to win the SB.

baja
12-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Bandwagon fans usually go to cities that only support their teams when they are good.

Pats, Cowboys, Packers, Steelers ALWAYS have fans, they are opposite of bandwagon.

The most bandwagon fans I think of it Atlanta. That goes for the Falcons, Braves and Hawks. They only support their teams when they are winning.

In that case I nominate the Chargers fans.

Kaylore
12-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Chargers fans aren't there when they're good either.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Steeler fans disappear when they suck. And I agree about patriots fans.

maher_tyler
12-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Cowboys for sure

Tombstone RJ
12-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Cowboys, steelers, niners, packers all come to mind for bandwagon fans.

Mogulseeker
12-26-2012, 03:35 PM
We're talking about bandwagoning fans. To me, that means fans that are nowhere to be found when the team sucks. The Pats and 9ers come to mind.

I'd say the Jags, too, but they've never had fans, even when they were good.

Mogulseeker
12-26-2012, 03:35 PM
I think the Pack and the Steelers have a pretty solid base even when their team sucks.

Broncojef
12-26-2012, 03:36 PM
A lot of Bronco fans springing up these days. I'm vacationing in Kauai
And seeing Broncos gear everywhere. Had 4 Broncos fans in an obscure
Mexican restaurant this morning. The bandwagon grows as the team succeeds
I guess.

NASurfer
12-26-2012, 03:40 PM
I know in the 90's and back when the Pats had a minuteman in a 3 point stance as a logo, nobody was a Pats fan back then.

There's good Seattle fans, but the dumbass ones sound just like Charger fans.

R8R H8R
12-26-2012, 03:41 PM

While I agree with your premise, I never saw so many Packers fans until after Favre and Reggie White joined the team and made them into winners.

Bronco X
12-26-2012, 03:49 PM
How exactly is a bandwagon fan defined? Is there a difference between a bandwagon fan and a fair weather fan? I always regarded a "bandwagon" fan as a fan who would jump onto a hot team's bandwagon and act like they've always been a fan of that team. So maybe two years ago they were a Jets fan but now they've decided to root for the 49ers, something like that. Where as a fair weather fan will root for one team, but their interest rises and falls based on the success of the team.

While I do find bandwagon fans by this definition pretty lame, I don't really care. They probably define their music tastes based on what Simon Cowell thinks, but hey, to each their own. I find nothing at all wrong with fair weather fans. I mean it's about entertainment, and watching a bad team really isn't entertaining. I just can't get behind the notion that many sports fans seem to have that sticking with a team through bad times is some kind of virtue. I mean good for them for being passionate, but do we really have a more important reason to be following sports other than entertainment?

maher_tyler
12-26-2012, 03:52 PM
A lot of Bronco fans springing up these days. I'm vacationing in Kauai
And seeing Broncos gear everywhere. Had 4 Broncos fans in an obscure
Mexican restaurant this morning. The bandwagon grows as the team succeeds
I guess.

I have always seen a lot of Broncos fans. Same with Cowboys, Steelers, Packers and 9ers. No way of knowing if they're actual fans or not. I live down here in Tucson and see as many Broncos fans if not more than the others.

broncocalijohn
12-26-2012, 03:54 PM
While I agree with your premise, I never saw so many Packers fans until Favre and Reggie White joined the team and made them into winners.

YOu can say the same about us with Elway. Do the fans stick with the team even when Elway retires or we suck? I say we don't fall in the bandwagon fan claim. Sure we pick up more fans but that happens with every team.
THere are tons of Cowboys, Packers and Steelers fans out there and they have a hard core home base like Denver. When you see the team in a down year is when you can judge. Chargers' fans are one of the worst I have seen. If people say Seahawks, is that because the city and area is getting overly excited based on this year's team? Then if that does make a team a Bandwagon, what do you call Denver in 1977 when people were painting their homes orange?

jerseyboiler120
12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Broncos always had a solid fan base even before the Elway era. Current bandwagon now has to be seattle. After the media was forced to take the lombardi trophy away from jimmy baby-screamer harbaugh for the 4th time this season, they've all jumped to the seattle trojans (or is it the usc seahawks?).

As for fair weather, I've lived in a lot of places and I have to say its the giants. Non-giants fans here in Jersey have a saying: you won't find a giants fan anywhere when they're losing. Its almost uncanny; they seem to have a 6th sense before the game even begins and they are nowhere to be found on the days the giants play bad. On days the giants come from behind and win, their fans are in hiding until that magic moment when eli hits cruz for a score. Then all of a sudden there are about 35 of them screaming and yelling.

jerseyboiler120
12-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Long term bandwagon fans are of course cowboys, steeluhs, packers. This in large part is a self-fulfilling prophecy by the tv programming. Who is always on tv??? Cowboys, steeluhs, and packers.

R8R H8R
12-26-2012, 04:17 PM
YOu can say the same about us with Elway. Do the fans stick with the team even when Elway retires or we suck? I say we don't fall in the bandwagon fan claim. Sure we pick up more fans but that happens with every team.
THere are tons of Cowboys, Packers and Steelers fans out there and they have a hard core home base like Denver. When you see the team in a down year is when you can judge. Chargers' fans are one of the worst I have seen. If people say Seahawks, is that because the city and area is getting overly excited based on this year's team? Then if that does make a team a Bandwagon, what do you call Denver in 1977 when people were painting their homes orange?

I lived in Denver between 1970 & 1974, a period that the Broncos had still not had a winning season in its history. Yet, the Broncos were the talk of the town and they were filling the stadium every Home game even though they sucked. This was the time that I became a fan, and remained one when we moved back to So Cal. Did Elway bring more fans to the team? Sure he did, just like Manning is now.

My point with the Packers is that they had bad teams after Lombardi, and before Favre, yet I just don't remember the loyalty of their fans during that period. Maybe I am wrong, but I just think many Packer fans jumped on the wagon after Favre made them relevant again.

extralife
12-26-2012, 04:29 PM
it's always the cowboys

crush17
12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Steelers. /end thread

troyjbath
12-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I remember going to the bar to watch games in the 90's and seeing a few 49ers and Cowboys fans mixed among the army of Broncos fans we have up here in WY. Now there are tables full of Pats fans....mostly wearing #12 jerseys. I always question a mans sexuality if I see them wearing a damn Brady jersey. They don't like it one bit.

tesnyde
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
How exactly is a bandwagon fan defined? Is there a difference between a bandwagon fan and a fair weather fan? I always regarded a "bandwagon" fan as a fan who would jump onto a hot team's bandwagon and act like they've always been a fan of that team. So maybe two years ago they were a Jets fan but now they've decided to root for the 49ers, something like that. Where as a fair weather fan will root for one team, but their interest rises and falls based on the success of the team.

While I do find bandwagon fans by this definition pretty lame, I don't really care. They probably define their music tastes based on what Simon Cowell thinks, but hey, to each their own. I find nothing at all wrong with fair weather fans. I mean it's about entertainment, and watching a bad team really isn't entertaining. I just can't get behind the notion that many sports fans seem to have that sticking with a team through bad times is some kind of virtue. I mean good for them for being passionate, but do we really have a more important reason to be following sports other than entertainment?

Nice post. I agree with the fair weather and bandwagon fan definitions. San Diego has biggest fair weather fans. The biggest band wagons fans seem to be the Packers and Pats. I did not think they had any fans until the late nineties. On the other hand, maybe where we think many of these guys are bandwagon, they really aren't, it's just there are a lot of crap places to be from. Pittsburg until recently, Green Bay, Dallas, pretty much all of the east coast, rust belt, etc....

Rock Chalk
12-26-2012, 06:03 PM

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.

Pats fans pre Belichick were the biggest ****ing bandwagon fans on the planet. Boston is a ****ing Red Sox and Celtics town, the Pats are something to pass the time and the moment they suck again (post Brady) their fans will disappear.

Cowboys, Packers, Steelers I agree, they will always have fans regardless of how good the team is. Most of Texas (25 million people) are Cowboys fans except maybe 60% of the Houston metro area.

WolfpackGuy
12-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Easily the Cheatriots.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Had a discussion with a few family members and friends over Christmas dinner about who's the biggest bandwagon team in the NFL. A friend of mine argued that Denver is on top because of Tebow and Manning. I argued that the Pats are the biggest bandwagon team in the league because of all the non-football fans I see sporting their gear. Most of the Pats fans I know couldn't name more than 2-3 players on the team and admit to not watching much NFL football. What to you think?

point out to them the sell out streak Denver had since 1970 when the NFL and the AFL merged into what we fans know as the current NFL
so Bronco fans aint fair weather band wagon fans http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/broncos-have-one-of-a-kind-sellout-streak/

baja
12-26-2012, 06:36 PM

Post more!

barryr
12-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Charger fans only come out when their team is safely winning, so after game 6 of such a season. But I agree with others, the Patriots have a ton of bandwagon fans who only know about Brady and that's about it.

m3alley
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Living in Wisconsin and being a non-packer fan, I obviously notice the Packers fans on a daily basis. I can't stand Packer fans, as they think they are the best team when they win, but when they lose it gets blamed on coaches, refs, bad calls, play call, or whatever other excuse they can find. However, I can confirm that Packer fans are the most loyal fans, as you won't find a packer an pretending to be a fan of another team.

broncocalijohn
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM

By far. This group of fans didn't sell out their game vs the 1st place Bengals after they just beat the Chiefs on the road. This group of fans had to have an extension TWICE to sell out their home playoff game! One was their first home playoff game in ions yet the threat of drizzle for that game and the Jets game meant they were too much of a pussy crowd to attend (and we bitched about Packers not selling out for minus 14 degrees weather).

Ask any Broncos fan who has gone to Mile High West the differences when they are way up and they attend the game. It is like night and day inside the stadium and of course tailgatting. Oh boy, those morons act like Raiders fans before each game.

Baja, you still gone?

BroncoMan4ever
01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
The Pats have the most bandwagon fans. I never knew of a true Pats fan before Brady. After Brady that fanbase exploded

bronco militia
01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
yep....and 1a is cowboy fan.

Somewhere bewteen West Texas and and SoCal there is a fan factory for both franchises (oakland, Dallas).

:rofl:....I figured this was low hanging fruit. anyone?

broncocalijohn
01-06-2014, 12:35 PM
:rofl:....I figured this was low hanging fruit. anyone?

I don't dispute it. I assume SD is in that geographic region?

bronco militia
01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
I don't dispute it. I assume SD is in that geographic region?

pretty much

but this week they are chargers fans :D

GreasyWrenches
01-06-2014, 12:41 PM
I am in Oregon, and before Russell Wilson showed up everyone was a Niners fan. Now they are all Seahawks fans.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
do those fair weather fans have closets with every potential hot NFL team Jerseys unless youre a wannabe gangbanger then its raider jerseys

Drunk Monkey
01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
I agree with Sea Chickens. I knew about 2 of them prior to Carrol's arrival. Now they are everywhere. Worst yet they think they have a right to puff up their chest and act like they are someone. 2 good years does not erase decades of suckage.

Mountain Bronco
01-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Right now it is the Broncos hands down. I live in Broncos Country, so I have always seen a ton of Broncos fans, but now traveling I see Broncos fans everywhere where between 1998 and last year I rarely saw any.

Sad, but true.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-06-2014, 01:05 PM
and also i seen some teens? or 20 somethings i dunno i didnt like stop em and ask for ID all dressed in red i think they are gangbangersbut i could be wrong and they are lame bull fans. but i see them in co sprgs ,but i dont see co sprgs as a gangbanger town .

Willynowei
01-06-2014, 01:14 PM
A lot of people naming teams with uneducated fan bases as bandwagon fans, some others are listing teams with fair-weather fans that are no where to be found when the team is losing.

But to me, "bandwagoning" is a term used for people who join on the hype of a football team because they are a fun team to root for at the time, but they aren't invested in the actual team or the city.

It has nothing to do with knowledge, you can have hardcore steelers fans who know nothing about football but they root for the same team every year - that's not band wagoning.

I think the OP's friends are right, Tebow and Manning have made the Broncos Bandwagon central. Some started watching football just for 1 season while Tebow did well, then left, and many others will leave the team w/ Manning.

bronco militia
01-06-2014, 01:15 PM
and also i seen some teens? or 20 somethings i dunno i didnt like stop em and ask for ID all dressed in red i think they are gangbangersbut i could be wrong and they are lame bull fans. but i see them in co sprgs ,but i dont see co sprgs as a gangbanger town .

LOL

you don't get out to the south end of town much, do you? FYI, avoid Chelton Road.

BroncoBeavis
01-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Right now it is the Broncos hands down. I live in Broncos Country, so I have always seen a ton of Broncos fans, but now traveling I see Broncos fans everywhere where between 1998 and last year I rarely saw any.

Sad, but true.

I'm sure we have a pretty big bandwagon following, at least by my definition of bandwagon.

It's hard at this point to call Pats fans bandwagon. Sometimes success brings a bunch of new fans into the fold. But as long as they stick around once things turn a little south, I wouldn't call them Bandwagon. They might be, but it's hard to tell until they have a down year or two.

Bandwagoners, to me, are the fans who switch teams to keep their fandom constantly in the playoff chase. And they often also have multiple teams they cheer for, sometimes without having enough NFL sense to even realize the implications. One guy I talked to recently was a Chickens/9ers fan.

So anyway, I'd guess we're top 5 right now, because Manning has an automagic wagon that would follow him wherever. I guess as did Teebs. Once those players are no longer part of the picture, they fade away.

But I think today the Seacacks are #1. You see their **** everywhere now. And they were never a team with a national following.

ksBRONCOfan
01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
I think the OP's friends are right, Tebow and Manning have made the Broncos Bandwagon central. Some started watching football just for 1 season while Tebow did well, then left, and many others will leave the team w/ Manning.

I met so many Manning fans at the MNF game against Atlanta last year. They weren't Bronco fans or Falcan fans. They were there just because of Manning.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-06-2014, 01:34 PM
LOL

you don't get out to the south end of town much, do you? FYI, avoid Chelton Road.

nah i just go to the mall and see a few all reds dressed there i know about the pocket of biker gangs in the springs think they are called gangster disciples murdered some guy outside of a bar got national attention i think a while back as for street gangs i dont think they are that major around here compared to the major cities . then again i only seen like 4 or so 20 somethings dressed in red . last year i found a cell phone near the citadel and the owner was a black dude all dressed in red , pretty nice guy gave me a 20 punch bus ticket, wouldnt want to hang around with him or his red dressed pals thou , not too keen on dodging bullets or getting hrassed by the po po :rofl:

jmz313
01-06-2014, 01:43 PM
I met so many Manning fans at the MNF game against Atlanta last year. They weren't Bronco fans or Falcan fans. They were there just because of Manning.

SEC country? My best friend went to Tenn. Loves manning to death, can do no wrong. even while he's beating down his fave NFL team: the Bills.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Chargers.

The "fans" are coming out of the woodwork now that SD is in the playoffs.

However, the fact that SD's regular season games have been blacked out in the local market this year due to lack of ticket sales tells you all you need to know.

Mountain Bronco
01-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Isn't this forum proof that there are bandwagon Broncos fans. Look at Bmoremanning or whatever he is now. Dude is a manning fan first and foremost, not a Broncos fan.

broncocalijohn
01-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Isn't this forum proof that there are bandwagon Broncos fans. Look at Bmoremanning or whatever he is now. Dude is a manning fan first and foremost, not a Broncos fan.

No one says there isn't but who has the most. SD has the most fairweather fans and also bandwagon fans combined. They have enough fans to fill up a stadium yet they only do when they are extremely hot. Coming home after the Chiefs win wasn't good enough for them.

Mountain Bronco
01-06-2014, 04:02 PM
I guess we have different views of bandwagon fans. Bandwagon and fairweather are two different things IMO. Bandwagon, is someone who isn't a fan, but a player or winning streak happens so they become a fan, but when losing occurs all of a sudden they are a fan of the new hot team. Fairweather fan to me is someone who maybe isn't a fan, but when Denver wins they are all of a sudden a fan. When Denver loses, they don't go to a new hot team, they just claim not to be a big fan.

I see the fairweather thing with the Saints a ton although they have a great overall fan base IMO.

Arkie
01-06-2014, 04:20 PM
I see the fairweather thing with the Saints a ton although they have a great overall fan base IMO.

My uncle from Mississippi has been a huge Saints fan since Archie Manning was a rookie. Every year, he was like, "I wonder if my Saints will ever win." The only fans they ever had were bad weather fans until their first winning season in 1987. I think bandwagon fans have joined the team since then, and they are the fair weather fans now.

Arkie
01-06-2014, 05:28 PM
What's up with Hinsdale County, CO? Are they part of America's Team too?

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/5106f2716bb3f7e816000002-900-525/nfl-fans-map.jpg

Houshyamama
01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Definitely the Seachickens, not even close.

Online at least.

Denver Bronco56
01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
I would have to say without a doubt in my personal experience the Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots (no coincidence that both have won frequently in recent years) have the largest amount of bandwagon fans. To hear the Broncos as being a bandwagon team is suprising because even with Tebow and now Manning I have seen very little fellow Broncos fans... but since we have won ALOT recently and have had Tebow and Manning both very popular players I could understand people claiming to be Bronco fan, but again to me the Steelers and Patriots hands down have to have the largest amount of bandwagon fans.

Wes Mantooth
01-06-2014, 05:42 PM

I agree that the influx of Bronco fans after Manning coming has us as the biggest bandwagon team by a mile

Requiem
01-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Nobody roots for Minnesota in Western North Dakota. Anything MT time is Broncos country.

BlitzingDog
01-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Just depends on who is winning.