PDA

View Full Version : #1 seed still alive

ZONA
12-23-2012, 01:39 PM
THANK YOU HOUSTON TEXANS.

If they lose next week, oh man, how great would that be. Even though HAT never took me up on that bet, I would still change my avatar for him for the duration of the playoffs.

Requiem
12-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Who do the Texans play next week?

enjolras
12-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Who do the Texans play next week?

@ Colts

Cmac821
12-23-2012, 01:55 PM
@ Colts

NASurfer
12-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Colts second string

broncocalijohn
12-23-2012, 01:58 PM
It just might happen how each team is playing. Colts playing at home might have different outcome. Colts were like our losses when they played the Texans. Falling behind early to only rally but come up short.

SoCalBronco
12-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Good call HAT. Didnt think it was realistic...props to you.

HAT
12-23-2012, 02:06 PM
It was never a prediction....I was just telling you all you were rooting for the wrong team HOU/NE

winstoncup bronco
12-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Rooting for HOU in that game was still the right call IMO.

If HOU wins that game, we lock up the #2 seed with a win today. We're still at risk of falling to #3 and playing in New England.

LongDongJohnson
12-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Who knows. Maybe we can steal that #1 seed.

yakyakyuk
12-23-2012, 02:34 PM
It looks like Indy is the #5 seed no matter what happens - they don't have anything to play for next week against Houston (according to Yahoo scenario tool).

teknic
12-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Rooting for HOU in that game was still the right call IMO.

If HOU wins that game, we lock up the #2 seed with a win today. We're still at risk of falling to #3 and playing in New England.

Not correct. If Houston won, they would have clinched the first seed. Since NE won as well today, it is impossible for the Broncos to clinch the second seed this week. The Houston loss still keeps the first seed in play though, so the Vikings winning was the preferable outcome.

Vine
12-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Colts second string

Not so sure about that. Looking at the NFL standings, it does seem possible that Indy could slip from the #5 seed to the #6 seed with a loss. If Cincinnati beats Pittsburgh next week, an Indy loss to Houston would result in 10-6 records for both Indy and Cincinnati.

Now, checking the tiebreaking procedures, to break a tie between two non-divisional teams for a seed goes as follows:

1)Head to head- Not applicable as Indy did not play Cincinnati.

2)Won-loss-tied % in conference games. Cincy win puts them at 7-5. Indy loss to Houston drops them to 7-5. Go to tiebreaker #3.

3)Won-loss-tied % in common opponents- minimum 4 teams. Not applicable, as there are not 4 common opponents between Cincy and Indy. Go to tiebreaker #4.

4)Strength of Victory. I am assuming this is season PF minues season PA to equal point differential. Cincy is +35, Indy is -42.

So, it does appear that Indy could be playing to hold onto their #5 seed with a loss potentially resulting in a #6 seed. This is also assuming that Baltimore wins the AFC North. Baltimore is currently up 17-7 over the NYGiants. If the Giants make a comeback, I will go through the tiebreaking procedures to see if Baltimore can potentially slip behind Indy to a #6 seed.

maher_tyler
12-23-2012, 02:38 PM
If Texans lose and Pats win next week the Pats are the #2 and Texans are the #3. Pats will get the bye. Would we rather have the Texans win? I'm thinking we would rather stay at the 2 spot and Texans at the 1 to force the Pats to play the week before then come to Denver.

LongDongJohnson
12-23-2012, 02:42 PM
If Texans lose and Pats win next week the Pats are the #2 and Texans are the #3. Pats will get the bye. Would we rather have the Texans win? I'm thinking we would rather stay at the 2 spot and Texans at the 1 to force the Pats to play the week before then come to Denver.

#1 seed is worth it. Screw New England. Root for us to win and the Texans to lose.

Having the road to the Super Bowl go through Mile High would be lovely.

Bacchus
12-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Houston is gonna LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vine
12-23-2012, 02:43 PM

Interesting thought. I didn't realize that NE could leapfrog Denver, AND Houston can fall all the way from #1 seed to a #3 seed with a loss next week.

maher_tyler
12-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Not so sure about that. Looking at the NFL standings, it does seem possible that Indy could slip from the #5 seed to the #6 seed with a loss. If Cincinnati beats Pittsburgh next week, an Indy loss to Houston would result in 10-6 records for both Indy and Cincinnati.

Now, checking the tiebreaking procedures, to break a tie between two non-divisional teams for a seed goes as follows:

2)Won-loss-tied % in conference games. Cincy win puts them at 7-5. Indy loss to Houston drops them to 7-5. Go to tiebreaker #3.

3)Won-loss-tied % in common opponents- minimum 4 teams. Not applicable, as there are not 4 common opponents between Cincy and Indy. Go to tiebreaker #4.

4)Strength of Victory. I am assuming this is season PF minues season PA to equal point differential. Cincy is +35, Indy is -42.

So, it does appear that Indy could be playing to hold onto their #5 seed with a loss potentially resulting in a #6 seed. This is also assuming that Baltimore wins the AFC North. Baltimore is currently up 17-7 over the NYGiants. If the Giants make a comeback, I will go through the tiebreaking procedures to see if Baltimore can potentially slip behind Indy to a #4 seed.

Indy has no chance at the #3 or #4 seeds. Texans won the division when the beat them last week.

maher_tyler
12-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Interesting thought. I didn't realize that NE could leapfrog Denver, AND Houston can fall all the way from #1 seed to a #3 seed with a loss next week.

If we and Texans lose and Pats win. Pats #1, Texans #2 and us at #3.

Vine
12-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Indy has no chance at the #3 or #4 seeds. Texans won the division when the beat them last week.

Yes, I edited that message. I was talking about the last two wildcard seeds and edited my message to reflect that.

Bacchus
12-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Wow that is the worst call since the replacement officials!!

EDIT: Sorry, I am drunk and thought this was the gameday thread.

winstoncup bronco
12-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Not correct. If Houston won, they would have clinched the first seed. Since NE won as well today, it is impossible for the Broncos to clinch the second seed this week. The Houston loss still keeps the first seed in play though, so the Vikings winning was the preferable outcome.

If NE loses that game, they are two games behind Denver coming into today.

Bacchus
12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I love this team.

Bacchus
12-23-2012, 03:04 PM
The Peyton Triangle is dominating once again.

Wow I must really be drunk because I thought AGAIN I was posting int he gamedfay thread....... at least I'm not driving!!

GO BRONCOS!!

NASurfer
12-23-2012, 03:18 PM

So, it does appear that Indy could be playing to hold onto their #5 seed with a loss potentially resulting in a #6 seed. This is also assuming that Baltimore wins the AFC North. Baltimore is currently up 17-7 over the NYGiants. If the Giants make a comeback, I will go through the tiebreaking procedures to see if Baltimore can potentially slip behind Indy to a #4 seed.
Nice research. They'll be basically playing to choose their opponent. They could just give their starters a rest and take their bye now, but if they fear New England that badly they could play to avoid them and take on the AFC North winner instead.

winstoncup bronco
12-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Nice research. They'll be basically playing to choose their opponent. They could just give their starters a rest and take their bye now, but if they fear New England that badly they could play to avoid them and take on the AFC North winner instead.

This.

Also, I think the HOU matchup is actually the best one we would want. You'd want to get your rookie QB as much experience as possible going into the postseason as it is, but with a matchup against the #1 seed, you have all the more reason to play these guys 100% and see how you measure up as a playoff team. If I was coach, I'd definitely try to make a statement in this game.

If it were KC or JAX, I'd be more concerned about starters being pulled. They should actually care about this game.

ScottXray
12-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Well if Houston loses ( and we win) we get the #1 seed.

The bad side of that would be if NE wins then they get the #2 over Houston ( head to head record). This would ALMOST be enough to want Houston to win.

Almost!

Screw it I want the #1 seed no matter what.

And New England COULD lose to the Jets.....

( RIGHT! I mean RRRRRRIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT. Really)

Does anyone think that team ( jets) and coach can win in foxboro in December?

So win next week and see where we are. Don't let KC screw things up.:thumbsup:

Vine
12-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Playing with the ESPN Playoff Machine, I was unable to find a way to get the Colts a #6 seed.

Even with Baltimore getting the #4 seed at 10-6, and Cincy and Indy also all finishing at 10-6, it would make sense to me that Baltimore wins the AFC North and #4 seed based on a better divisional record than Cincy's. So to break the #5 seed tie between Cincy and Indy, it would come down to the 4th tiebreaker strength of victory.

Unless I am looking at something wrong, or the ESPN Playoff Machine is wrong under that scenario, it might be appear that Indy is locked in at the #5 seed, but I am not exactly sure why.

Rock Chalk
12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Strength of Victory is not the season's plus/minus.

Its how good your wins are.

A part of the NFL's tiebreaking proceedure, strength of victory is figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten.

Seeds 4, 5 and 6 are locked in and cannot change.

Rock Chalk
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Playing with the ESPN Playoff Machine, I was unable to find a way to get the Colts a #6 seed.

Even with Baltimore getting the #4 seed at 10-6, and Cincy and Indy also all finishing at 10-6, it would make sense to me that Baltimore wins the AFC North and #4 seed based on a better divisional record than Cincy's. So to break the #5 seed tie between Cincy and Indy, it would come down to the 4th tiebreaker strength of victory.

Unless I am looking at something wrong, or the ESPN Playoff Machine is wrong under that scenario, it might be appear that Indy is locked in at the #5 seed, but I am not exactly sure why.

Because no matter what happens next week, Indy has a better strength of victory tiebreaker over Cincy.

yakyakyuk
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Indy clinched a playoff berth and No. 5 seed with a win due to a better record in common games than the Bengals (4-1 to 3-2).

Vine
12-23-2012, 04:34 PM

A part of the NFL's tiebreaking proceedure, strength of victory is figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten.

Well that sucks then. How do you know that? Did you hear it somewhere. I don't see it being clarified on the tiebreaking procedures page.

Vine
12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Indy clinched a playoff berth and No. 5 seed with a win due to a better record in common games than the Bengals (4-1 to 3-2).

Edit: I am double checking this...

Yes, you are absolutely right. Cincy has played Cleveland (twice), Jax, Miami, and KC, and is 3-2 in those games. Indy has played Jax (twice), Cleveland, Miami, and KC and is 4-1 in those games. So it don't even go to that complicated strength of victory tiebreaker.

Rock Chalk
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Well that sucks then. How do you know that? Did you hear it somewhere. I don't see it being clarified on the tiebreaking procedures page.

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/g/gl_strengthofvi.htm

If you dont like about.com, here's wiki's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_playoffs#Breaking_ties

Strength of victory (the combined won-lost-tied percentage of all the teams that a club has defeated).

Kaylore
12-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Good. This prevents the Chiefs from being a trap game.

yakyakyuk
12-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Common games: Cleveland, Miami, Jacksonville, Kansas City

Indy record is 4-1: w jax, l jax, w Miami, w kc, w Cleveland
Cindy record is 3-2: w jax, w clev, l clev, w kc, l miami

Vine
12-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Good. This prevents the Chiefs from being a trap game.

Yeah, Denver needs this game. A win to ensure a first round bye. A loss, and a likely wildcard game (doubtful Miami beats Pats). However, Denver will have a good idea knowing how much the meaning of their game, with the Pats and Texans playing early games.

If Houston wins and New England loses, starters will probably only play a half next week.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Pagano comes back next week? That will light fires under that entire team

Beantown Bronco
12-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Just a few weeks ago, you had some pretty harsh words for anyone who said that there was even a chance we could get the #1 seed. Sweating yet?

ZONA
12-23-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't know why anybody would the Broncos to have the #2 seed vs the #1 seed. If it stayed put now, if NE wins their 1st round game, they still come to Denver. If they had the #2 seed and us the #1 seed, NE still comes to Denver. And we would NEVER have to go to Houston. Give me that #1 seed and who cares what NE does.

Br0nc0Buster
12-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I know Pagano is coming back, but do the Colts have anything to play for?

It is my understanding they are locked in at the 5 seed and that wont change regardless of next week's outcome

I hope they dont ease up on the gas

Texans look very vulnerable right now

ZONA
12-23-2012, 06:16 PM

It is my understanding they are locked in at the 5 seed and that wont change regardless of next week's outcome

Well they can rest guys but you do have a rookie QB who needs the experience and if he plays then you don't want 2nd teamers out there blocking for him. And you would like to finish the regular season on a high note for confidence. You don't want to lose. We shall see.

BroncoFox
12-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I am on board fully now. Our offense is very solid. Our defense is also very solid. I don't care who we play. So I'd rather just play them at home. So I hope Texans lose - we will definitely win. If Fox is doing one thing right this year, it is keeping the team's head on straight. He is not allowing them to look ahead. So we will win. Let's just hope Texans lose! I'd much rather have two home games!

maher_tyler
12-23-2012, 06:25 PM

If they are locked in then you gotta assume they'll rest their starters.

winstoncup bronco
12-23-2012, 07:17 PM
The consensus on this board so far is for the Colts to play balls to the wall next week.....

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70365

TheChamp24
12-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Colts will play to win, they need to prove they can beat a team like the Texans, although personally I feel they are a fluke team.
Houston does not scare me at all to be honest. I mean, the Vikings just blew them out in their own place.
Houston had no business losing this game to be honest, and they got blown out.

uplink
12-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Well if the broncos and texans win next week, the broncos have 2 weeks to prep. for NE. That is what they should do with the week off. It unlikely NE looses at home during the wildcard round. If the broncos get the #1 seed, they should spend the week off preparing for the ravens, as the ravens don't often loose at home.