PDA

View Full Version : If Peyton wins 2 or 3 Super Bowls in a broncos uniform...

PaintballCLE
12-20-2012, 09:33 AM
any chance he goes into canton as a bronco?

Just for ****s and giggles..

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Pro football players don't go into the Hall "as" a member of any certain team. Their bust is created, and below it, all the teams they played for are listed.

ColoradoDarin
12-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Players go in as individuals, they don't go in "as" anything but themselves.

Pick Six
12-20-2012, 09:47 AM
The person who introduces them, is often symbolic of the team with which they want to be most closely associated. We'll see who Peyton picks...:thumbs:

BigPlayShay
12-20-2012, 09:48 AM
The person who introduces them, is often symbolic of the team with which they want to be most closely associated. We'll see who Peyton picks...:thumbs:

As is from what team the player chooses to have the HOF Ring ceremony.

NASurfer
12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Brandon Stokely would be the appropriate choice then.

Kaylore
12-20-2012, 10:07 AM

It'll probably be his Dad which would make him a Saint by this logic.

And they have a photo of them in uniform above their bust (or below?) that is backlit, so they do go in as a player. Zimmerman is in his Bronco uniform.

Irish Stout
12-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Players go in as individuals, they don't go in "as" anything but themselves.

I agree and disagree. If you look at the Hall of Famers list on the Pro Football HOF website, you will see players listed multiple times if they played for multiple teams and under a player's bust it will list in chronological order the teams he played for and the dates of play for those teams.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.aspx

On the other hand, a player often picks a team that he would like to represent him through the HOF process. For example Gary Zimmerman had the opportunity to pick the Vikings or Broncos both for HOF introduction and when he was recognized at the stadium during the 2008 football season. Zimmerman elected to have Pat Bowlen represent him and chose to celebrate his election into the HOF at Invesco Field at Mile High.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-182420679.html

Also - Most would argue and believe that Elway was our first HOFer and Zimmerman our second. However, Willie Brown was elected to the HOF in 1988 and played for both the Broncos and Raiders... he is universally recognized as a Raider in the HOF even if the description under his name gives credence to the Broncos as well.

All that being said, it is not like the Baseball Hall of Fame where they place a team cap at the HOFer's "spot". The Pro Football HOF does not choose a team. The player does get to elect which team (if any) he'll go to for the ceremony at the stadium. Peyton is the kind of player and person where he'd likely go to both Indy and Denver (If he wins a ring here... please please please), and choose a longtime friend, coach (Dungy?), or team mate to introduce him. I could see him possibly asking John to do it, based on what happens over the next couple of years and the relationship the two continue to build. If he asks a former Colt player or coach, then it will likely be seen that he is going in as a Colt. If he asks a Broncos, vice-versa. If he only chooses one stadium to go to in celebration of his induction, then it will be seen as he is choosing that team.

But it is the Player's choice and they do not have to make it known.

Irish Stout
12-20-2012, 10:14 AM
It'll probably be his Dad which would make him a Saint by this logic.

And they have a photo of them in uniform above their bust (or below?) that is backlit, so they do go in as a player. Zimmerman is in his Bronco uniform.

I forgot about his Dad. And I didn't know about the photo. I assumed there was a collage of photos around a player. I need to go to Canton.

Lestat
12-20-2012, 10:30 AM
it doesn't matter, i just want those 2-3 SB wins.

Peyton is too loyal to Indy and would want to be recognized as a Colt.
the things he did for that franchise and that city will make him a resounding Colt for all-time.
kinda like Montana with the 49ers, Favre with the Packers, heck even Babe Ruth with the Yanks(people forget he started as a Red Sox player)

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I never understood this. If it doesn't matter then why do players sign for a day then retire on the team they want to go in as?

Should we claim Jerry Rice as a broncos HOFer? Will raiders get to claim Woodson or should GB? KC fans count Montana to their HOF list?

BigPlayShay
12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.aspx

Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization. Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time. An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined. When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

v2micca
12-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Even if Peyton wins 2-3 Superbowls with the Broncos, he will always be remembered as a Colt, first and foremost. He just did too much for that organization to ever be disassociated with Indianapolis. However, I will be more than happy to claim he had his best years in a Broncos Uniform. So far, we are off to a good start in accomplishing that.

jmz313
12-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Only if it somehow changes NFL history so that SOMEONE touched Marvin Harrison down in that playoff game.

Otherwise he's a Colt.

Taco John
12-20-2012, 11:34 AM
What matters is what Jerseys show up in the crowd. I fully plan on being in attendance wearing my #18.

peacepipe
12-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Lets cross that bridge when it comes,we still have yet to win 1 SB.

Atwater His Ass
12-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Manning will always be a Colt that the Broncos rented for a couple of years. I love that Manning is here and what he is doing, but I'll always think of him as a Colt first. No one is going to associate Joe Montana with KC or Brett Farve with anyone but GB. I don't think even winning super bowls will change that for anyone living outside of Denver.

Durango
12-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Manning will always be a Colt that the Broncos rented for a couple of years. I love that Manning is here and what he is doing, but I'll always think of him as a Colt first. No one is going to associate Joe Montana with KC or Brett Farve with anyone but GB. I don't think even winning super bowls will change that for anyone living outside of Denver.

I disagree, but only a little. If Manning does win a Super Bowl or multiple Super Bowls here, it would probably muddy the whole identity thing. Winning championships irrevocably attaches a player like Manning to that team forever, and he certainly would be seen as the primary reason we won one/them. Yes, he would and will always be remembered as a Colt, but if he wins championships here, he will be remembered as a Bronco in the same breath.

bronco militia
12-20-2012, 02:58 PM
http://www.broncosfootballstore.com/images//nike_denver_broncos/nike_broncos_1493.jpg

holy crap! these are official!

http://www.broncosfootballstore.com/mens-nike-denver-broncos-18-peyton-manning-elite-broncoscolts-two-tone-nfl-jersey-p-1567.html

DomCasual
12-20-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.broncosfootballstore.com/images//nike_denver_broncos/nike_broncos_1493.jpg

holy crap! these are official!

http://www.broncosfootballstore.com/mens-nike-denver-broncos-18-peyton-manning-elite-broncoscolts-two-tone-nfl-jersey-p-1567.html

Those should be our alternate jerseys. Reverse the colors, and you have the pants. Then, we could use the socks with the vertical stripes.

rbackfactory80
12-20-2012, 05:06 PM
They raw dogged him if Indy. Bad blood there.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-20-2012, 05:19 PM
They raw dogged him if Indy. Bad blood there.

That signing bonus had alot to do with it. broncos believed and had faith in Manning being healthy more than the colts did.

rbackfactory80
12-20-2012, 05:24 PM
That signing bonus had alot to do with it. broncos believed and had faith in Manning being healthy more than the colts did.

You never treat a HOF QB like that. Shocked at the lack of class from that franchise. He isn't happy about it either.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-20-2012, 05:33 PM
You never treat a HOF QB like that. Shocked at the lack of class from that franchise. He isn't happy about it either.

Ya it was an uncomfortable situation for sure. Would be great if the colts somehow play broncos so manning could unleash. That would require them to win in the playoffs first though.

Bronco Yoda
12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Broncos / Colts playoff game? That might just make the Super Bowl an after thought. Holy crap that would be a sweet game.

Agamemnon
12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
2 or 3 Super Bowls? I'll be happy with just one...

Atwater His Ass
12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Don't really think it was lack of class. The injury issue coupled with the chance to get Luck made the decision for them. Business is business and I don't fault the Colts for what they did. The move made sense and it was just unfortunate for Manning.

Mogulseeker
12-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Considering he made two and won one in 14 years with the Colts....

If Manning plays out his 5 year contract with us and wins 3 Super Bowls, then yeah, I think his legacy will be as much as a Bronco as a Colt.... but we're way ahead of ourselves.