PDA

View Full Version : If McCoy gets a Head Coaching job in 2013

eddie mac
12-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Who would Fox replace him with???

It's certainly not out of the question considering he had interviews last year if I'm not mistaken and I know we have Manning but the offense has been pretty solid once again.

I just wondered if there's anyone amongst the positional coaches on Offense would be ready for the step up???

Studesville for instance.

Rohirrim
12-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Wouldn't the OC still be Peyton?

I kid. :puff:

SonOfLe-loLang
12-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Tom Moore if he's up for it.

eddie mac
12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Tom Moore if he's up for it.

He's 74, aint that a wee bit too old for a hands on OC post???

Doggcow
12-19-2012, 05:37 PM
OC doesn't matter until Peyton retires.

Rohirrim
12-19-2012, 05:38 PM
John Fox has been in the league a long time. I'll bet he's got a solid list.

eddie mac
12-19-2012, 05:38 PM
I just really want to ascertain if we have anyone amongst the current positional coaches who'd be good enough for the step up

crush17
12-19-2012, 05:39 PM
It'll be either Tom Moore or they'll elevate Adam Gase.

Rohirrim
12-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I guess Clancy Barone or Adam Gase, if Fox doesn't go outside. ???

SonOfLe-loLang
12-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I obviously have no idea of the inner workings of the broncos staff, I just kinda get the feeling you get a guy that 1) Peyton feels comfortable with and 2) more or less stays out of his way. A very highly paid sounding board.

baja
12-19-2012, 05:43 PM
It'll be either Tom Moore or they'll elevate Adam Gase.

That's who I think get's it- Adam Gase.

DBroncos4life
12-19-2012, 05:49 PM
I just really want to ascertain if we have anyone amongst the current positional coaches who'd be good enough for the step up

Really it doesn't look like it. Brian Callahan? He is really young and little experience.

elsid13
12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't promote from within.

Kaylore
12-19-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't know if Fox knows how to hire respected coaches. Oh wait a minute...

Lestat
12-19-2012, 06:20 PM
if McCoy does get a HC gig i hope we snag a guy like JDR but on offense.
a former HC who is likely going to be around for awhile.

Ray Finkle
12-19-2012, 06:24 PM
I'd love shurmur if he is fired from Cleveland...

Lestat
12-19-2012, 06:43 PM
I'd love shurmur if he is fired from Cleveland...

that would be perfect.

Conklin
12-19-2012, 07:43 PM
McDaniels?

Tim
12-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Adam Gase

Tom moore is under a contract with the titans for another 2 years as their OC and he is too new to them to be released.

mwill07
12-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Gase seems to me like a guy being groomed.

orange crusher
12-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Adam Gase

Tom moore is under a contract with the titans for another 2 years as their OC and he is too new to them to be released.

He's just a consultant. I'm sure he'd be able to get out of it for a coordinator position.

Conklin
12-19-2012, 08:38 PM
TBH, I wouldn't mind Norv Turner after he gets fired in a couple weeks

Lestat
12-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Norv is a great OC, terrible HC. he should have stayed with the 49ers.
Chargers had some solid seasons but just choked too many times in big moments. plus the slow starts.

lonestar
12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Adam Gase

Pretty sure he is only a consultant to the existing OC. They would not be able to stop him from going to a OC post.

I think the OC position is more about film study and having the game plan ready to go on practice day.

As always on game day they will relay a call in and leave it up to Manning to make the in field call..

As for the OC got to have someone that knows what we do. It can not be someone that wants to bring in their own play book.

Moore is the logical choice.

lonestar
12-19-2012, 08:56 PM
TBH, I wouldn't mind Norv Turner after he gets fired in a couple weeks

He woulddwant to bring ian his own play book. Not happening for Manning as well as the rest of the team to learn YET another play book (5 in 4 years)..
Moore is the next guy even if he is part time.

mopatt24
12-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Norv, Shurmur, or Whisenhunt.

Mogulseeker
12-19-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Tom Moore wants to get back into coaching, and he's been with Peyton during Peyton's whole career.

Mogulseeker
12-19-2012, 09:42 PM
I seriously think we should be grooming Brandon Stokely as a WR coach and eventual OC when Peyton retires... and enters joint ownership with Elway lol.

El Guapo
12-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Wouldn't the OC still be Peyton?

I kid. :puff:

Nope, you're right. Any OC while Peyton is here is just a Peyton Puppet.

Natedog24
12-19-2012, 10:34 PM
There is a very realistic chance that the Broncos lose both their OC and their DC this upcoming offseason, yuck!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
12-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Why is anybody thinking about Tom Moore as OC? Whom ever is the next OC is isn't really coaching Manning anyway like McCoy really isn't coaching Manning. Its about who will be coaching Osweiler. I want a guy that has had a rep of bring QB's up and getting them ready for the pro game.

Heyneck
12-19-2012, 10:57 PM
if McCoy does get a HC gig i hope we snag a guy like JDR but on offense.
a former HC who is likely going to be around for awhile.

Turner?

lonestar
12-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Why is anybody thinking about Tom Moore as OC? Whom ever is the next OC is isn't really coaching Manning anyway like McCoy really isn't coaching Manning. Its about who will be coaching Osweiler. I want a guy that has had a rep of bring QB's up and getting them ready for the pro game.

You do realize that IF another real C comes to town he is going want to bring HIS PLAYBOOK along.

Does anyone think Manning is going to want to learn anther one as well as the rest ofthe team?
As far as developing QBs Brock is setting behind a HOF guynthatnseems to be teaching him every time a camera is iron him on Tyne sidelines Brock is attached to his hip and Mc coy is on the other side of him.

During those debriefings after each series Brock is right there absorbing every word.

jerseyguy4
12-20-2012, 07:04 AM
I obviously have no idea of the inner workings of the broncos staff, I just kinda get the feeling you get a guy that 1) Peyton feels comfortable with and 2) more or less stays out of his way. A very highly paid sounding board.
I think you have it nailed.
Everyone keeps pointing to Tom Moore. It's not a bad idea, but the guy is 74 years old. Next year 75.

This might sound stupid, but I like Tony Dungy, with a couple of thoughts behind it:
1) He's a crappy commentator
2) He's only 57
3) He knows Peyton as well as anyone
4) He fits the billing for a background, information primary guy that wouldn't come in looking to dump a new system on the offense
5) "Your post sucks. He's a D guy, not O!". True he's from D, but let me tell you, he knows both sides very well. He's a very brilliant football mind.

Mountain Bronco
12-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Adam G, will be the man. Everyone thinks highly of him and with Peyton there and working with him all this year that would be the easy choice.

jerseyguy4
12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Adam G, will be the man. Everyone thinks highly of him and with Peyton there and working with him all this year that would be the easy choice.
Gase has to be the shoe-in. If he doesn't get the spot, it would obviously be because Peyton and Gase didn't see eye to eye.

The OP question should really be, it McCoy leaves, and Gase doesn't get the job, who gets it? Or who would you want?

bowtown
12-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Just make Manning a player-coach, and let him keep the job after he retires to groom him to be the next Denver HC. He and Elway can rule a dynasty for the next 2 decades.

Irish Stout
12-20-2012, 09:45 AM

This makes a lot of sense. It would be better to higher within to keep the continuity of what the team is doing now moving forward and to continue working on the transition to Os post-Peyton.

Then again, I am never right on this stuff.

crush17
12-20-2012, 10:08 AM
It'll be Gase.

Dedhed
12-20-2012, 10:49 AM

I agree with this completely. It doesn't make sense to bring in some big name OC while Peyton is running the offense. The only likely result would be getting someone who is going to disrupt the continuity of the offense by wanting to do what they've done elsewhere.

Gase knows all the players on the offense and is going to be in a much better position to continue their development. He's been around long enough to be able to handle the job, and will have Peyton as a safety net.

I also think it's the best thing for Brock. If we bring in a big name guy, he's gonna jump ship at the first HC job that comes along. Gase likely wouldn't get an HC offer for at least a few years, and would likely be around when Brock takes over for Manning.

bronco_diesel
12-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Who would Fox replace him with???

It's certainly not out of the question considering he had interviews last year if I'm not mistaken and I know we have Manning but the offense has been pretty solid once again.

I just wondered if there's anyone amongst the positional coaches on Offense would be ready for the step up???

Studesville for instance.

If I were Fox in this situation I would name Del Rio as the HC and Fox as the OC. Manning would handle the OC duties, Del Rio is still handling the defense and Fox continues what he is doing.

Nothing lost and we retain Del Rio.

Mediator12
12-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I think you have it nailed.
Everyone keeps pointing to Tom Moore. It's not a bad idea, but the guy is 74 years old. Next year 75.

This might sound stupid, but I like Tony Dungy, with a couple of thoughts behind it:
1) He's a crappy commentator
2) He's only 57
3) He knows Peyton as well as anyone
4) He fits the billing for a background, information primary guy that wouldn't come in looking to dump a new system on the offense
5) "Your post sucks. He's a D guy, not O!". True he's from D, but let me tell you, he knows both sides very well. He's a very brilliant football mind.

You forgot:

6) Dungy is NEVER coaching again. He gets paid well to commentate to the masses and he loves being around his family.

I do some work with his entities that he has started since leaving coaching. On numerous occasions, he has stated he will NEVER return to coaching because he has a new calling in life to mentor and help people outside football.

Mediator12
12-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I am not sure who is good enough on the broncos staff to replace McCoy. Gase might be a logical choice but does he have enough experience? Having Fox there would certainly help, as he has proven to be a great game day coach in DEN.

So, maybe Gase, but who knows if McCoy leaves. Hopefully, he learned from Dennis Allen that taking a ****ty HC job is not really a stepping stone ;D

Tombstone RJ
12-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I think McCoy is most definitely gone after this season. Whoever the Broncos bring in as OC just has to have a good relationship with Manning. I'm thinking it's got to be a more seasoned or mature coach, a guy who can give Manning his space and yet offer good input at key times. Moore would not be my first choice, but a guy like Shurmur or possibly Norv Turner I think makes a lot of sense. I like Turner because he does like to run the ball. Also, Turner is not going to get all up in Manning's face if the team struggles, but I think he could offer Manning some good advice without being overbearing.

Dedhed
12-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Gase might be a logical choice but does he have enough experience? ;D

Normally I would say no, but I think Manning is a very unique entity who can bridge the experience gap for Gase.

ZONA
12-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Maybe Norv or Wisenhunt.

underrated29
12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
i find myself in disagreement with med.

I 100% aboslutely do not want mccoy to stay. Not at all. Can not stand him or the plays he calls or lack of imagination, slow starts, predictability etc etc etc.

Mccoy luckily will be gone our offense will be better for it next year and IIRC Gase was the person who the broncos said they would promote to OC if/when mccoy left. Which is fine because our offensive scheme is really really (hate to say it cuz it was mcdaniels) very good. Only, I think without mccoy holding it back it can be better.

bronco_diesel
12-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I am not sure who is good enough on the broncos staff to replace McCoy. Gase might be a logical choice but does he have enough experience? Having Fox there would certainly help, as he has proven to be a great game day coach in DEN.

So, maybe Gase, but who knows if McCoy leaves. Hopefully, he learned from Dennis Allen that taking a ****ty HC job is not really a stepping stone ;D

Think Dennis Allan could be fired from Oakland and find himself back here as the DC if Del Rio takes a HC job?

Bronco Yoda
12-20-2012, 01:11 PM
PM's Butler and personal driver is named Mr. Tibbons.

Kaylore
12-20-2012, 01:17 PM
I think it would be Tom Moore, then Adam Gase if he isn't picked by McCoy as his OC. After that I have no idea, but they will be good at their job because Manning is their QB and Fox picks well respected coordinators for his staff.

TheReverend
12-20-2012, 01:36 PM
When Mike Shanahan was the coach, I never let myself worry about RBs or OL because no matter what, the product would be above average at worst.

Similarly, with Peyton Manning on the team, I don't give a flying **** whatsoever who the "offensive coordinator" is.

JakeZ01
12-20-2012, 02:31 PM
I think McCoy could be easily replaced by the "ask madden" bot. Or I can **** in a jar and put a headset on it. Either one will work IMHO.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
12-21-2012, 03:53 PM
You do realize that IF another real C comes to town he is going want to bring HIS PLAYBOOK along.

Does anyone think Manning is going to want to learn anther one as well as the rest ofthe team?
As far as developing QBs Brock is setting behind a HOF guynthatnseems to be teaching him every time a camera is iron him on Tyne sidelines Brock is attached to his hip and Mc coy is on the other side of him.

During those debriefings after each series Brock is right there absorbing every word.

1.)I don't want McCoy to go. I think that he is a go OC. I think he was hamstrung by McDumbass and he hasn't had the greatest of talent to work with sans this year. However, reality is OC's leave and even internal hires bring there own playbooks.

2.) I believe there is an article that stated before Manning signed, he asked McCoy and JDR point blank, were they one and done. Both replied that they were here for the long haul unless there was the perfect situation. Manning doesn't want to learn a new system, so an internal is most likely.

3.) I wish all it took was to look over the shoulder of Manning to be a good QB. However, look at Painter and Sergio(sp). Granted neither were drafted before the 5th round, but neither couldn't even make it as backups on other teams.

Is gase my guy? No. Just not enough experience and data to make the call. Now just as an example, look at Washington, RGIII and Cousins. RGIII goes without saying, but look at Cousins. He has played well given his limited reps in a complex offense. Maybe that QB coach could be an answer or Philly's QB coach. Now I'm a little bias. I favor west coast offenses. But look at Seattle QB. Another rookie QB has be playing well. Or 49ers who got Alex Smith to stop being a head case and 2nd year QB Collin Kapernik(sp ) whom out dual Brady.

lonestar
12-21-2012, 05:27 PM
1.)I don't want McCoy to go. I think that he is a go OC. I think he was hamstrung by McDumbass and he hasn't had the greatest of talent to work with sans this year. However, reality is OC's leave and even internal hires bring there own playbooks.

2.) I believe there is an article that stated before Manning signed, he asked McCoy and JDR point blank, were they one and done. Both replied that they were here for the long haul unless there was the perfect situation. Manning doesn't want to learn a new system, so an internal is most likely.

3.) I wish all it took was to look over the shoulder of Manning to be a good QB. However, look at Painter and Sergio(sp). Granted neither were drafted before the 5th round, but neither couldn't even make it as backups on other teams.

Is gase my guy? No. Just not enough experience and data to make the call. Now just as an example, look at Washington, RGIII and Cousins. RGIII goes without saying, but look at Cousins. He has played well given his limited reps in a complex offense. Maybe that QB coach could be an answer or Philly's QB coach. Now I'm a little bias. I favor west coast offenses. But look at Seattle QB. Another rookie QB has be playing well. Or 49ers who got Alex Smith to stop being a head case and 2nd year QB Collin Kapernik(sp ) whom out dual Brady.

I do not think from everything I have that before this year Manning backups were a mere after thought.. they got zero reps in practice.. they were in teh room but Manning again from what I heard never thought them stuff like he is Brock.

I suspect he understands NOW his mortality.. He knows he has to train his replacement, as his age and neck may take him out at any time.. certainly his age will be a factor and one of the reason Again as I heard they took Brock was because they knew he would be a couple-three year project.. and because Manning had looked him over and thought he was going to be his replacement.. Knowing that he would get to train him the right way once again leaving his legacy behind..

Now I realize that Brock may not be able to play in the NFL, but knowing that John John and Peyton picked the kid allows me some solace that when Manning retires we should not be without a FQB tht has been trained by the best..

I guess we will see how things go in the off season, if they draft another "project" we will know theta in spite of Manning the kid will not make it..

also a signal may be letting the other guy go, to explore FA as Brock has his spot locked down..

tesnyde
12-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Inside the NFL went over HC candidates. They mentioned all the retreads, Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly, several assistance who can develop qb, including Kyle Shannahan, and few others, but no mention of McCoy and JDR.