PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Broncos weakness

jerseyguy4
12-18-2012, 08:54 PM
So what is it, or just discuss?

It's actually hard to come up with a list of sour points with this team right now. But surely that's what Cleveland is doing now and KC next week. But much more importantly, the Pats and/or whoever else in the playoffs will be soon enough. What will they see? What can they exploit?

Tombstone RJ
12-18-2012, 08:56 PM
no Tebow

Tombstone RJ
12-18-2012, 08:57 PM
I kid because I care

Archer81
12-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Interior pass rush and a coverage MLB.

:Broncos:

HAT
12-18-2012, 09:10 PM
EMM ELL BEE

jerseyguy4
12-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Just to go through each of the poll options:

- Peyton: someone else posted a good thread about Peyton's lackluster performance. I know, to an outsider it sounds stupid...the guy is having an awesome comeback season and is a MVP favorite. But the last few games, he is a little "off". i don't think I posted in that thread, but it does also worry me that his arm is "tired". Hopefully we'll see this isn't true over the next 2 weeks.

- Receivers: Few have discussed this, but personally, I'm a little unhappy the last 4 or 5 games.
Decker - Is he improving? Any better than he was game 3? I don't see it.
DT - Legs are great, hands are great. What really bothers me with DT is that I feel there have been at least 5+ balls within his reach this season that he didn't make an effort to get. Sometimes, you have to dive and make that play....at least attempt it.
Dreesson - the mis-Q last game is just one of those things (rarity specifically for him), but it seems to happen at least once a game for the team. I was hoping this offense would have gelled better by now

- Pass rush: We're good. Real good. Von Miller, Elvis, Wolf, Woody, yadda yadda. I guess I just feel the team has dominated when they were supposed to, on paper. In the end, it come down to this: can we do to NE what SF did? If you can't, you will severely struggle to win

- Slow game starts: Ad nauseum. I can't say this enough....get down 14 ro 21 to NE or Houston or whoever, and it's a long road back. The playoffs are not at San Diego. This week: punt, FG, punt (first 3 drives). I'm sick of it. It's going to cost us IMO

Crushaholic
12-18-2012, 09:32 PM
A slow start will absolutely KILL us. We can't be down by a couple of touchdowns, and expect to win....

baja
12-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Covering TE's

Archer81
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM

Decker week 3 vs Hou: 8 Rec, 136 yards, 0 tds.
Decker week 15 @ Balt: 8 Rec, 133 yards, 1td.

I fail to see the criticism.

jerseyguy4
12-18-2012, 09:43 PM

Haha, touchee. It's not a stat thing; those games (that I picked at random) are both very good.
It's more of a feel thing. Has he improved? In your gut? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I haven't seen it. Where, when?

I want to see that play where we look and ALL think..."ok, this kid gets it. He's got it. All good now"
I want to see that....I just haven't

Archer81
12-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Haha, touchee. It's not a stat thing; those games (that I picked at random) are both very good.
It's more of a feel thing. Has he improved? In your gut? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I haven't seen it. Where, when?

I want to see that play where we look and ALL think..."ok, this kid gets it. He's got it. All good now"
I want to see that....I just haven't

Fair enough. But it appears both Decker and Thomas will cap 80 receptions for the season. Considering the coaching changes, qb changes, offensive changes so far in both Thomas and Decker's careers, they are doing fine. The key with young players is consistency and the two of them appear to be improving there. The important thing is, when DT has a down game, Decker steps up and vice versa.

Manning said it himself. This offense has been together for 15 real games. And is top 5 in scoring and yards. Could be worse.

Marshall Dumervil
12-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Covering TE's

Yep, I agree. When we see the patsies in the playoffs, it would be nice to have Porter on gronk and Hernandez.

jerseyguy4
12-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Re: DT. Watch this catch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JZHaKGDYspE#t=126s
I haven't seen DT do this. Not just make the catch, but he hasn't stretched himself to make the effort. Peyton has put a few of these within DT's reach

El Guapo
12-18-2012, 10:12 PM
I know it's been 15 years since we last went to, and won, the Super Bowl*, but in those years we dominated in the first quarter. The team would consistently win games by simply outpacing opponents in the first half. If we could adjust this, and then allow our defense to "do their thing" in the second half we would be one bad ass team. I'm not yet getting that vibe I had in '96 when EVERYONE was picking the Packers and yet I knew deep inside that this was ours for the taking.

*15 years? Holy crapola.

spdirty
12-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Ugh, someone always has to try to find something to bitch about. It's a 9 game winning streak. Just dominated a division leader on the road in December. And now that you guys can't bitch about the running game you have to search far and wide for something else. Anyway, let's look at the weaknesses.

Manning...even if he is a little "off" he's still a top 5 qb in the league and will be fine after the bye.

Receivers...screw up sometimes but are still just fine. If one receiver sucks, the others will pick him up. Like the bmore game DT was crappy but decker picked him up.

Pass Rush....one of the best Broncos pass rushes I've ever seen, and without smoke and mirrors. It's a lot of fun watching them in passing situations.

Slow starts...even when the offense does start slow, I'm not in the least bit worried, just a little annoyed. When they start slow we won't be looking at a 14 or 21 point deficit unless turnovers are involved and the opposing offense gets short fields. We now have a defense that could win a 10-7 game if it needs to. As well as an offense that could win a 38-35 game. I absolutely love this team.

Bottom line, we are going to the ****ing Super Bowl and we are winning it this year and anyone who doesn't agree can kiss my ass.

lonestar
12-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Hell most teams would love to have a WR getting those numbers.

Is he consistent at it NO but manly because of coverage. Sometimes they double him others they double DT. When everyone is covered Manning finds TEs or RBs.

Manning goes to whom ever is open unlikee cutlet that forces balls, what a special guy he is.

lonestar
12-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Ugh, someone always has to try to find something to b**** about. It's a 9 game winning streak. Just dominated a division leader on the road in December. And now that you guys can't b**** about the running game you have to search far and wide for something else. Anyway, let's look at the weaknesses.

Manning...even if he is a little "off" he's still a top 5 qb in the league and will be fine after the bye.

Receivers...screw up sometimes but are still just fine. If one receiver sucks, the others will pick him up. Like the bmore game DT was crappy but decker picked him up.

Pass Rush....one of the best Broncos pass rushes I've ever seen, and without smoke and mirrors. It's a lot of fun watching them in passing situations.

Slow starts...even when the offense does start slow, I'm not in the least bit worried, just a little annoyed. When they start slow we won't be looking at a 14 or 21 point deficit unless turnovers are involved and the opposing offense gets short fields. We now have a defense that could win a 10-7 game if it needs to. As well as an offense that could win a 38-35 game. I absolutely love this team.

Bottom line, we are going to the ****ing Super Bowl and we are winning it this year and anyone who doesn't agree can kiss my ass.

Great post.

IMO our youth causes inconsistently, which will haunt us.

Our inability to rush my four and get fast pressure will also be an issue.

maven
12-18-2012, 10:42 PM
I know it's been 15 years since we last went to, and won, the Super Bowl*, but in those years we dominated in the first quarter. The team would consistently win games by simply outpacing opponents in the first half. If we could adjust this, and then allow our defense to "do their thing" in the second half we would be one bad ass team. I'm not yet getting that vibe I had in '96 when EVERYONE was picking the Packers and yet I knew deep inside that this was ours for the taking.

*15 years? Holy crapola.

I'm not getting that vibe either. This season feels like the previous year.

Hulamau
12-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Covering TE's

Amen on this one Baja, was just going to list TEs... we get to NE and they have Gronk and Hernandez both healthy and it could be a long afternoon unless we can slow them down a bit.

A bit help will be more pressure up front on Brady but we need tighter coverage on these TEs ( easier said than done I know) Maybe have to put Champ on Gronk or Hernandez should we face them again.

The good news is if and when we see NE again it will be in OUR house a mile high but only if we keep it focused, tight and rollin' for these next two games.

Fedaykin
12-19-2012, 02:35 AM
There's some crazy folks on this board. Criticism of Peyton because he missed a double deep shots by a yard or two? Wow. You do realize that the guy is human and, and that in the real world (not the Madden world) those kind of throws (being 100% about timing) are very low percentage, right?

fontaine
12-19-2012, 02:57 AM
1. Special Teams: Holliday - hit this guy hard and he's prone to cough it up.
2. Ramirez/Koppen are weak against a strong bull rush.
3. Manning hasn't been his old self against overloaded blitzes, especially from the slot.
4. Hillman is hit and miss in his blocking. Every time he's in the backfield, send an A gap blitz.
5. The best way to stop Decker/DT is to put your best cover corner against Decker and bracket cover DT. Decker really struggles to get seperation against good cover corners.
6. Stokely is banged up. Hit this hard over the middle and the Broncos don't have a slot option.

Defensively:

I would play my best CB press against Decker, bracketing DT with a safety and leave the other safety over the top.

A good coverage LB can really slow down Tamme and I would stick with a base defense (not nickel) when the Broncos go 12 formation as Dressen as the other TE doesn't scare me. Only go with nickel if the Broncos come with a 11 formation.

Then you just have to expect your front 7 to be stout against the run with your best DT lined up in over center or Ramirez with the best pass rusher in a wide 9 look against Franklin and show blitz between those guys with your Mike testing the B/C gap early and often as Franklin has left guys unblocked a couple of times.

That way you prevent the big play, and choose to let the likes of Moreno/Stokely beat you rather than Manning/DT/Decker.

Blueflame
12-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Once we get to the playoffs, we can't afford slow starts, mistakes or wasted opportunities... when the opposing team is one of the top 6 in the conference, maximizing every advantage is the wisest course.

That said, it's been a while since we had the luxury of finding (with 2 regular-season games remaining) a 13-3 finish to not only be attainable, but the most probable outcome.

GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!

mhgaffney
12-19-2012, 03:54 AM
None of the above.

Coverage of TEs is our Achilles heel -- Let's hope we heal it.

fontaine
12-19-2012, 04:19 AM
None of the above.

Coverage of TEs is our Achilles heel -- Let's hope we heal it.

Covering TE's

Heath Miller 4 for 50 yards 1TD,
Tony Gonzalez 7 for 70 yards, 1TD,
Owen Daniels 3 for 26, 1TD,
Antonio Gates 8 for 98, 2TDs, (two games)
Jimmy Graham 5 for 63 1TD,
Greg Olsen 9 for 102, 2TDs, ****
Dallas Clark, 3 for 21, 1TD
Jermaine Gresham 6 for 108, 0TD, ****
Rob Gronkowski, 4 for 35, 0TD,
Brandon Myers, 1 for 22, 0TD,
Dennis Pitta, 7 for 125, 2TDs, ****

Not too bad considering how much we use Von as a pass rusher instead of coverage LB, and using players like Trevathan, Harris, Adams to cover the TE.

Pitta, Gresham, Olsen had season highs against us but a lot of the plays we've given up have come in garbage time.

On the other hand we've restricted Myers, Gronkowski, Daniels to near season lows.

That's a murderous row of talented TEs we've faced this season. I think we've done a pretty good job considered the talent and how often these guys are targetted by their QBs.

Durango
12-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Just to go through each of the poll options:

- Peyton: someone else posted a good thread about Peyton's lackluster performance. I know, to an outsider it sounds stupid...the guy is having an awesome comeback season and is a MVP favorite. But the last few games, he is a little "off". i don't think I posted in that thread, but it does also worry me that his arm is "tired". Hopefully we'll see this isn't true over the next 2 weeks.

- Receivers: Few have discussed this, but personally, I'm a little unhappy the last 4 or 5 games.
DT - Legs are great, hands are great. What really bothers me with DT is that I feel there have been at least 5+ balls within his reach this season that he didn't make an effort to get. Sometimes, you have to dive and make that play....at least attempt it.
Dreesson - the mis-Q last game is just one of those things (rarity specifically for him), but it seems to happen at least once a game for the team. I was hoping this offense would have gelled better by now

- Pass rush: We're good. Real good. Von Miller, Elvis, Wolf, Woody, yadda yadda. I guess I just feel the team has dominated when they were supposed to, on paper. In the end, it come down to this: can we do to NE what SF did? If you can't, you will severely struggle to win

- Slow game starts: Ad nauseum. I can't say this enough....get down 14 ro 21 to NE or Houston or whoever, and it's a long road back. The playoffs are not at San Diego. This week: punt, FG, punt (first 3 drives). I'm sick of it. It's going to cost us IMO

Good grief. Manning and this revitalized defense have led the Broncos to a 10 game winning streak. TEN GAME WINNING STREAK, best in the entire NFL.

Will you people shut up already? Please.

RedskinBronco
12-19-2012, 05:37 AM
I go with pass protection by the running backs now that WM is injured.

KM and Hillman really struggle in these situations and as a result manning gets hit more or has to prematurely get rid of the ball

BroncoMan4ever
12-19-2012, 05:45 AM
Why is there so much concern about Peyton? The problems I saw Sunday were a few more drops by receivers a miscommunication and a few deep balls that were off, but Pueyton has never been a great deep ball thrower. Right aboit 25% ius the average he completes

jerseyguy4
12-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Good grief. Manning and this revitalized defense have led the Broncos to a 10 game winning streak. TEN GAME WINNING STREAK, best in the entire NFL.

It gets boring only discussing how awesome they are.
But my point was more that there are weaknesses in every team.

TonyR
12-19-2012, 06:21 AM

Not too bad considering how much we use Von as a pass rusher instead of coverage LB, and using players like Trevathan, Harris, Adams to cover the TE.

Pitta, Gresham, Olsen had season highs against us but a lot of the plays we've given up have come in garbage time.

On the other hand we've restricted Myers, Gronkowski, Daniels to near season lows.

That's a murderous row of talented TEs we've faced this season. I think we've done a pretty good job considered the talent and how often these guys are targetted by their QBs.

Good post, but I don't know that this necessarily disproves our weakness. Take the Gronkowski example. Yes, we did a good job with him. But the result of our attention paid to him, at least indirectly, was Welker gutting us for 13-104 and their running game going 23-223 on us.

TonyR
12-19-2012, 06:22 AM

Good post, but I don't know that this necessarily disproves our weakness. Take the Gronkowski example. Yes, we did a good job with him. But the result of our attention paid to him, at least indirectly, was Welker gutting us for 13-104 and their running game going 23-223 on us.

crawdad
12-19-2012, 06:28 AM
I have to write in the kicking game. Matt Prater has caused some concern for me. What the heck is he doing missing 45 yarders and kicking off to the 5-10 yard line?

fontaine
12-19-2012, 06:44 AM

Yes, that's exactly right.

I'm sure if JDR really wanted to we could bracket cover TEs with LBers chipping them before they release, but that's not the priority for this defense.

This defense has evolved to get after the QB and stop the run as the priority. I know every teams wants to do that and says it's the priority but that's our philosophy because we've got the players to do it.

That's why we see a chess match every game when it comes to utilizing guys like Von/Doom, changing fronts, and more recently coverages to go more zone look when the secondary started the season in more man/press looks.

It's all there to: Slow down the run so that our pass rush can come into play on 2nd/3rd and long situations.

Covering TEs isn't a big priority because we'd rather have Von go after the QB and utilize Adams deep and Trevathan short area to cover them and typically QBs end up severely playing for it. The only time it really becomes a problem is when up against teams that two very good pass catches like New England because they fundamentally can exploit both your nickel/base defenses from the same two TE look.

That's why I would rather this team prioritize its resources this offseason for a very good two way DE like Michael Bennett and another run stuffer like Dorsey because it would make us stronger at the most important aspect of this defense instead of dumping it all on a Mike like moving up for Teo.

Punisher
12-19-2012, 06:47 AM
All the late night partying with local whores

lonestar
12-19-2012, 08:13 AM
1. Special Teams: Holliday - hit this guy hard and he's prone to cough it up.
2. Ramirez/Koppen are weak against a strong bull rush.
3. Manning hasn't been his old self against overloaded blitzes, especially from the slot.
4. Hillman is hit and miss in his blocking. Every time he's in the backfield, send an A gap blitz.
5. The best way to stop Decker/DT is to put your best cover corner against Decker and bracket cover DT. Decker really struggles to get seperation against good cover corners.
6. Stokely is banged up. Hit this hard over the middle and the Broncos don't have a slot option.

Defensively:

I would play my best CB press against Decker, bracketing DT with a safety and leave the other safety over the top.

A good coverage LB can really slow down Tamme and I would stick with a base defense (not nickel) when the Broncos go 12 formation as Dressen as the other TE doesn't scare me. Only go with nickel if the Broncos come with a 11 formation.

Then you just have to expect your front 7 to be stout against the run with your best DT lined up in over center or Ramirez with the best pass rusher in a wide 9 look against Franklin and show blitz between those guys with your Mike testing the B/C gap early and often as Franklin has left guys unblocked a couple of times.

That way you prevent the big play, and choose to let the likes of Moreno/Stokely beat you rather than Manning/DT/Decker.

That's great. Which team out there has all of those players to Do that?

Some may have the corners, some the pass rush, some the LB but I do not see anyone that has it all.

spdirty
12-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Actually, now that Joe Mays is gone, there is one thing for me. Chris Kupers health. If Kuper isn't healthy we have the George Foster of guards backing him up. So here's to Kuper getting healthy and staying healthy the rest of the year and beyond.

SleepingTiger
12-19-2012, 10:28 AM

this

baja
12-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Actually, now that Joe Mays is gone, there is one thing for me. Chris Kupers health. If Kuper isn't healthy we have the George Foster of guards backing him up. So here's to Kuper getting healthy and staying healthy the rest of the year and beyond.

He is healthy. He was out last week do to NFL concussion rules.

Agamemnon
12-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Definitely the slow starts. Nothing else in the poll is even remotely a weakness.

Crushaholic
12-19-2012, 10:39 AM

It's 9 games. That's just semantics, though. I expect the Broncos to be on an 11-game winning streak, by the time playoffs begin. Until we are #1 in ALL categories, we should strive for improvement...:thumbs:

Heyneck
12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Our biggest weakness is Bowlen going back to his drunk self. Other than that... MLB and a possible over confidence (if such thing exist).

TheChamp24
12-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I love how we are so not used to being this complete, we try to make the Broncos look worse than they are.
Top 5 in both offense and defense, blowing teams out left and right.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Looks like this poll is pretty one sided

HooptyHoops
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Covering TE's

This....we need to be able to cover TE or NE is going to kill us.....

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Surprised nobody has pointed to the interior offensive line. Even when Kuper gets back Koppen and Beadles worries me.

spdirty
12-19-2012, 11:36 AM
He is healthy. He was out last week do to NFL concussion rules.

I thought it was a bad ankle.

baja
12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought it was a bad ankle.

Nope Kupe's dad posted he got a concussion in the Tampa Bay game

Rohirrim
12-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Nope Kupe's dad posted he got a concussion in the Tampa Bay game

Let him sit the last two games and get rested up for the playoffs, IMHO.

Crushaholic
12-19-2012, 12:35 PM

There's only one problem, with that. Peyton needs to remain upright, and our final two opponents have a decent pass rush (Especially KC).

baja
12-19-2012, 12:39 PM

I find myself applying more & more something TJ mentioned the other day, whatever the coaches decide I 100% good with.

Used to be the collective mind of the OM got it right more than the coaching staff going all the way back to the last several years of Shanahan. Now it's, "In Fox & company we trust". He has clearly earned it.

TheReverend
12-19-2012, 12:42 PM
MLB

Dedhed
12-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Used to be the collective mind of the OM got it right more than the coaching staff going all the way back to the last several years of Shanahan. Now it's, "In Fox & company we trust". He has clearly earned it.

I'm more of the "In Elway I trust". Fox is a nice headman, but I think he deserves only collateral credit for where this team is today.

2KBack
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm more of the "In Elway I trust". Fox is a nice headman, but I think he deserves only collateral credit for where this team is today.

That's what I want in a head coach. Put together a good staff, delegate, and give a few nice speeches.

Dedhed
12-19-2012, 01:06 PM
That's what I want in a head coach. Put together a good staff, delegate, and give a few nice speeches.
I agree. I'm not complaining at all!

spdirty
12-19-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113759/article/peyton-manning-is-the-same-as-ever-numbers-show

Jekyll15Hyde
12-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I would write in Red Zone Offense. too many FGs or FG attempts.

RedskinBronco
I would write in Red Zone Offense. too many FGs or FG attempts.

Good point. That too.

Crushaholic

That's why I laugh, whenever I see game-day Fox being vocal. He just wants to let everyone know that he's still around...:thumbsup:

Boobs McGee
12-19-2012, 01:16 PM
I have to write in the kicking game. Matt Prater has caused some concern for me. What the heck is he doing missing 45 yarders and kicking off to the 5-10 yard line?

This.

As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, his 40-50 yd range isn't that fantastic. BUT. I was talking about this the other day with a coworker, and it's starting to worry me a bit now. The ball really doesn't seem to be exploding off of his foot like it normally does. Usually, it comes booming out without a whole lot of tail either direction. Recently, it seems like they just aren't as solid, with some extra hook/curl.

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but my friend made the statement that once a kicker really loses confidence, it's almost impossible to get back. That last one he missed against the Ravens was no pressure, and designed (from what the announcers said) to be a gimme, so to speak. A kick to get his confidence up. Shank.

We all know that Matty P is one of the most clutch guys out there, but if there IS any truth to the lost confidence statement (Mason Crosby comes to mind), then there could be some potential cause for concern down the road. The guy hasn't NEEDED to make any clutch kicks yet this year that I can recall, so this is speculation, but it's really the only part of the team I'm worried about right now.

Mogulseeker
12-19-2012, 01:58 PM

^

Kaylore
12-19-2012, 02:23 PM
I picked slow starts because they typically have been the result of us turning the ball over. Right now I think were neutral for turnover magin.

Hamrob
12-19-2012, 03:40 PM

:Broncos:Agreed! Interior pass rush and MLB.