PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Possibilities

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't believe the 1,2,3, or 5 seeds will change in the AFC. Only 4 and 6 can/will. And I find it hard to believe I'm saying this......but now I want Pittsburgh to win out.

If Pitt beats Cincy this weekend, they will hold the 6 seed. I believe that Pittsburgh is the ONLY team that could POSSIBLY knock out New England in the wildcard round. They're the only team with a defense good enough. Also with New Englands crappy secondary......Ben could have a good day with Wallace, et al.

Cincy, while a decent team, just doesn't have the horsepower to slow down the Pats offense.

Hell, Pitt might even be good enough to then go on and knock out Houston in round 2.....giving us a home game in the AFC title game.......

So, the teams I'm pulling for in week 16.....

1. Minnesota over Houston (to keep our hopes for #1 seed alive)

2. Pitt over Cincy (to get Pitt into the 6-seed)

3. Indy over KC (don't want Indy slipping to 6 seed; not good enough to beat Cheatriots in round 1)

4. Baltimore over NYG (again, don't want Baltimore slipping to 6-seed, as they are not good enough to beat the Cheatriots, either)

baja
12-18-2012, 08:25 AM
I don't believe the 1,2,3, or 5 seeds will change in the AFC. Only 4 and 6 can/will. And I find it hard to believe I'm saying this......but now I want Pittsburgh to win out.

If Pitt beats Cincy this weekend, they will hold the 6 seed. I believe that Pittsburgh is the ONLY team that could POSSIBLY knock out New England in the wildcard round. They're the only team with a defense good enough. Also with New Englands crappy secondary......Ben could have a good day with Wallace, et al.

Cincy, while a decent team, just doesn't have the horsepower to slow down the Pats offense.

Hell, Pitt might even be good enough to then go on and knock out Houston in round 2.....giving us a home game in the AFC title game.......

3. Indy over KC (don't want Indy slipping to 6 seed; not good enough to beat Cheatriots in round 1)

4. Baltimore over NYG (again, don't want Baltimore slipping to 6-seed, as they are not good enough to beat the Cheatriots, either)

If your dream scenario plays out that would mean we play Pittsburg for the AFCC, although it would be in Denver not sure I want that for the same reason you want them to play NE.

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 08:27 AM
If your dream scenario plays out that would mean we play Pittsburg for the AFCC, although it would be in Denver not sure I want that for the same reason you want them to play NE.

Ha! I thought of that, too. But this isn't 2005. They don't have a stellar o-line, and Ben gets sacked alot. Good for our defense.

Still, it would be nice to not have to play EITHER New England or Houston.

:thumbsup:

Kaylore
12-18-2012, 08:33 AM
I don't care who we face. In the playoffs, everyone is good. Especially in the divisional round on up. I would like to see the Patriots lose just because I hate them. I don't agree the Steelers are better equiped to handle them than we are. I think the Bengals make are healthier and have a better shot. Dalton isn't elite, but he's not crappy. Really though, who is going to beat the Patriots at home? Not very many.

Regardless, I think to earn our Super Bowl we will have to face NE. I think we need to. It will prove to us that we can and exercise all sorts of demons. There was a time we owned them. We haven't beat NE since McDaniels was a head coach. It's time to bring them here and face them on our terms. If we can't beat or are scared of the Patriots, we don't deserve the Super Bowl.

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't care who we face. In the playoffs, everyone is good. Especially in the divisional round on up. I would like to see the Patriots lose just because I hate them. I don't agree the Steelers are better equiped to handle them than we are. I think the Bengals make are healthier and have a better shot. Dalton isn't elite, but he's not crappy. Really though, who is going to beat the Patriots at home? Not very many.

Regardless, I think to earn our Super Bowl we will have to face NE. I think we need to. It will prove to us that we can and exercise all sorts of demons. There was a time we owned them. We haven't beat NE since McDaniels was a head coach. It's time to bring them here and face them on our terms. If we can't beat or are scared of the Patriots, we don't deserve the Super Bowl.

Oh, I didn't say that Pitt was better equipped than WE are. I just said I thought they were the only potential WILDCARD that could possibly beat them in the FIRST round. I don't think any other 1st round team could have any chance. Pitt has a chance.

And while I agree that it would be very satisfying to beat New England in the playoffs.....if the Cheats got knocked out before we had a chance to play them....well, I wouldn't complain either.

TheChamp24
12-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Pittsburgh is not that good geez.

I think it would be hilarious if somehow Miami gets that last spot. They win out, Jets lose 1 game, Cincy loses out and Steelers lose to the Browns, they are in lol!

I don't care about some other team knocking out the Pats, we shouldn't worry about that, we shouldn't worry about that. We match up well with anybody IMO.

Get the #2 seed, rest up and get ready for most likely the Pats in the Divisional Round barring an upset.

baja
12-18-2012, 08:40 AM

I agree somewhat. I want to play NE at home although if we do win the SB we will have earned it regardless of whom we play.

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 08:43 AM

I think it would be hilarious if somehow Miami gets that last spot. They win out, Jets lose 1 game, Cincy loses out and Steelers lose to the Browns, they are in lol!

I don't care about some other team knocking out the Pats, we shouldn't worry about that, we shouldn't worry about that. We match up well with anybody IMO.

Get the #2 seed, rest up and get ready for most likely the Pats in the Divisional Round barring an upset.

Their defense is. #1 overall, and #1 vs. the pass.

They are equipped to slow down NE. Question is whether or not their offense is good enough.

And I disagree.....we DON'T match up well with the Pats. I'm not saying we can't beat them....I think we can. But it's not the best matchup for us. Our LBs can't cover TEs, and that is the Pats' bread and butter. The center of our defense (DTs, MLB, safties) is our weakness.

We might be able to match them point for point, cause their secondary sucks balls......but I'm not sure that the best thing for us is to be in a shootout with Brady.

baja
12-18-2012, 08:44 AM

True they are not that good this year but they had a lot of key players out for several games this season and if Big Ben gets hot they can beat anyone. They can be a dangerous team in the playoffs

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 08:45 AM
True they are not that good this year but they had a lot of key players out for several games this season and if Big Ben gets hot they can beat anyone. They can be a dangerous team in the playoffs

Exactly. Ben's first Superbowl came from the 6-seed......as Bronco fans well know.

Rohirrim
12-18-2012, 08:48 AM
My dream scenario is for the Broncos to kick the Pats' asses in our house and to see Brady sniveling and throwing a tantrum on the sidelines while Knowshon pounds the rock down the field in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter.

TheChamp24
12-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Their defense is. #1 overall, and #1 vs. the pass.

They are equipped to slow down NE. Question is whether or not their offense is good enough.

And I disagree.....we DON'T match up well with the Pats. I'm not saying we can't beat them....I think we can. But it's not the best matchup for us. Our LBs can't cover TEs, and that is the Pats' bread and butter. The center of our defense (DTs, MLB, safties) is our weakness.

We might be able to match them point for point, cause their secondary sucks balls......but I'm not sure that the best thing for us is to be in a shootout with Brady.

We've been playing a lot better of late in that aspect, plus their TE's have been banged up this year.
We have a good pass rush to force quick throws, limiting big plays.
Our offense matches up with their defense, we had two turnovers deep in their territory last game and still scored 21 points, on the road.

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 08:52 AM
We've been playing a lot better of late in that aspect, plus their TE's have been banged up this year.
We have a good pass rush to force quick throws, limiting big plays.
Our offense matches up with their defense, we had two turnovers deep in their territory last game and still scored 21 points, on the road.

I hear ya. And the tougher the opponent, the more satisfying the victory will be. But that matchup makes me nervous.

I won't have any fingernails left about an hour before the game......and I'll drink my beer too fast. Ha!

baja
12-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Another thing about our Broncos is they have not peaked yet. We are getting better every week since week 1. Exactly what you want for a SB run. There is usually a stinker game mixed in and we had that in KC. My big concern going forward is injuries. Get Kupe back, stay healthy, win the bye and we are looking very good to win it all.

Irish Stout
12-18-2012, 09:00 AM

I thought I might be the only one who wants to face the Patriots.

There are some years where I want the easiest playoff road possible. Then there are years like this and 1998 when I wonder just how good our team really is. The only way to truly find out is to play the best. I think NE is still the best in the AFC and I want to see that we can beat them.

I won't complain about home-field advantage throughout though. Love it when the boys in Orange are in Denver.

Mountain Bronco
12-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Pitt got handled by a mediocre Dallas team and people think they could handle NE in NE. I just don't get it. Pitts D is a shell of their former self, which I think leads to NE easily beating Pitt. We have to beat the best in the playoffs and that is that. We will either have to beat NE, hopefully at home or go on the road to Houston and win. I don't see any other scenario playing out.

Kaylore
12-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Oh, I didn't say that Pitt was better equipped than WE are. I just said I thought they were the only potential WILDCARD that could possibly beat them in the FIRST round. I don't think any other 1st round team could have any chance. Pitt has a chance.

And while I agree that it would be very satisfying to beat New England in the playoffs.....if the Cheats got knocked out before we had a chance to play them....well, I wouldn't complain either.

I would rather not play the team that knocked NE out of the playoffs in their own house. Those are the teams that win the SB every year.

MagicHef
12-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Baltimore already beat New England.

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Pitt got handled by a mediocre Dallas team and people think they could handle NE in NE. I just don't get it. Pitts D is a shell of their former self, which I think leads to NE easily beating Pitt. We have to beat the best in the playoffs and that is that. We will either have to beat NE, hopefully at home or go on the road to Houston and win. I don't see any other scenario playing out.

Bad argument. New England lost to Arizona in New England.....so why couldn't Pitt beat them, too?

Those "that team beat them, but lost to them, but beat them" arguments are meaningless.

All I said, is that Pitts defense is best suited to slow the Pats.....of ALL THE FIRST ROUND TEAMS.

I don't think the Pats will lose at home in the first round.....but I also didn't think wounld in 2009 to the Ravens, or in 2010 to the Jets, either.

rbackfactory80
12-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Baltimore is the team you want playing the Pats. They matchup well.

yakyakyuk
12-18-2012, 09:34 AM
I agree with 55's original analysis - that is exactly how I am cheering this weekend.

Why not wish for the Broncos best path to Super Bowl? Of all the possible 6 seeds, Pittsburg has best chance to upset New England.

55CrushEm

Not without Webb and a healthy Suggs, they don't.

Fedaykin
If we can't beat or are scared of the Patriots, we don't deserve the Super Bowl.

^^ This

Txdonk
12-18-2012, 09:38 AM
This......plus they have Pollard the Patriot killer. :thumbs:

spdirty
12-18-2012, 09:38 AM
What I like about that scenario is the fact that even though the Pats will probably win, they'll be in for a fight. And will have to throw everything they have at Pittsburgh to win. And it would at least soften New England up for us.

DBroncos4life
12-18-2012, 09:49 AM
I think Pitt in a bad weather game matches up well against the Pats as well. Pitt still has players that will scare Brady pass rushing and Pitts WR's should smoke NE's DBs.

Old Dude
12-18-2012, 10:02 AM
If I had to bet, I'd say it looks like (1) Hou; (2) Den; (3) NE; (4) Balt.; (5) Ind. and (6) Cincy.

I'll be surprised if the Steelers get in.

Of the above group, I think Balt. is the weakest, due mostly to injuries. Flacco doesn't look too good either, at least not behind that O-Line.

They would face Indy in the wild-card round and I think that would be a toss-up.

Cincy would be at New England and the Pats would be heavily favored, but I suppose anything's possible.

Bacchus
12-18-2012, 10:07 AM
I thought I might be the only one who wants to face the Patriots.

There are some years where I want the easiest playoff road possible. Then there are years like this and 1998 when I wonder just how good our team really is. The only way to truly find out is to play the best.

Yeah ,ten the VIkings go down without a fight.

I really wanted to see a Minnesota/Denver SB that year. Minnesota was 15-1 and Denver was 14-2.

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 10:07 AM
If I had to bet, I'd say it looks like (1) Hou; (2) Den; (3) NE; (4) Balt.; (5) Ind. and (6) Cincy.

Of the above group, I think Balt. is the weakest, due mostly to injuries. Flacco doesn't look too good either, at least not behind that O-Line.

They would face Indy in the wild-card round and I think that would be a toss-up.

Cincy would be at New England and the Pats would be heavily favored, but I suppose anything's possible.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. They play at home vs. Cincy this week....then have Cleveland in week 17. Both winnable. If they win out they are in as the 6-seed.

Furthermore, if on top of that Baltimore loses out (vs. NYG, @ Cincy)....then Pitt wins the North and gets the 4 seed....also dropping Baltimore to 6-seed.

I see Balt/Pitt as 4/6 seeds.....or 6/4.

BroncoBeavis
12-18-2012, 10:13 AM

I'm much less concerned if we don't **** the bed these last two and get them @ Mile High. Still a very tough matchup, but less overwhelming than Foxboro in January. I think as a 2 seed under Houston, our chances of seeing New Orleans in February probably double.

Mountain Bronco
12-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Fine, you don't like the this team beat that team, but bottom line is Pitt is a .500 team, nothing more nothing less. They aren't the team they used to be. I don't think anyone is knocking off NE unless it is the Broncos. We have the offense to put up point on them and have improved dramatically on D, to the point where I think we can slow them down especially if the game is at Mile High.

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Fine, you don't like the this team beat that team, but bottom line is Pitt is a .500 team, nothing more nothing less. They aren't the team they used to be. I don't think anyone is knocking off NE unless it is the Broncos. We have the offense to put up point on them and have improved dramatically on D, to the point where I think we can slow them down especially if the game is at Mile High.

Pitt will probably finish 9-7, just above .500.

The Giants were a 9-7 team last year.

Point being......records don't mean squat come playoff time.

I stick by what I said.....I still believe Pitt would provide the toughest FIRST ROUND matchup for New England.

BroncoBeavis
12-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah ,ten the VIkings go down without a fight.

I really wanted to see a Minnesota/Denver SB that year. Minnesota was 15-1 and Denver was 14-2.

I remember thinking that in my head. But then kinda feeling relieved when they lost. :)

winstoncup bronco
12-18-2012, 10:29 AM
I'll be happy with either Pittsburgh or Baltimore playing them because I want the Patriots to play a physical team in the first round.

BroncoMan4ever
12-18-2012, 10:37 AM

I see what you're saying. But in the playoffs everyone is good. There won't be easy games. With that in mind I would love it if Denver kicked NE and Houston's asses then beat up on Atlanta in the super bowl

Rohirrim
12-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Andrew Luck has done an amazing job in Indy; From a 2 win team, to a 9 win team. Remarkable.

baja
12-18-2012, 12:14 PM
I see what you're saying. But in the playoffs everyone is good. There won't be easy games. With that in mind I would love it if Denver kicked NE and Houston's asses then beat up on Atlanta in the super bowl

Doubt we see Atlanta don't think they can beat SF or GB.

LetsGoBroncos
12-18-2012, 12:22 PM

I thought about this the other day and came to the same exact conclusion as you 1,000,000%. Couldn't agree more on Pittsburgh being the #6. That could really help us. The way I see it if we win our last two games and so does Pittsburgh this could not have gone better....the only thing that could be better would be if we were #1 because Houston lost twice but you can't have everything. I agree Pittsburgh is very capable of beating NE, and if they don't they will at least beat them up a little bit. Good post

LetsGoBroncos
12-18-2012, 12:28 PM

You think Cincinnati is going to win at Pittsburgh? They might, but I don't think they will

baja
12-18-2012, 12:30 PM
I think we will win that first game at Mile High but I would rather play NE in Denver than play Pittsburg in Denver. Call it a hunch.

BUT first things first let's beat the Browns this Sunday.

Rock Chalk
12-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Denver just needs to win the next five.

Everything else is academic.

55CrushEm
12-18-2012, 12:53 PM
You think Cincinnati is going to win at Pittsburgh? They might, but I don't think they will

Regardless of what happens in the final week of the season.......I think whoever wins the Cincy/Pitt game THIS week is in, and the loser is out.

EDIT: Nope. Cincy can still get in, even if they lose to Pitt this week.

LetsGoBroncos
12-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Regardless of what happens in the final week of the season.......I think whoever wins the Cincy/Pitt game THIS week is in, and the loser is out.

EDIT: Nope. Cincy can still get in, even if they lose to Pitt this week.

Agree with your first statement. Pittsburgh won't lose at home to Cleveland if the playoffs are on the line

Mouth
12-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the ravens win out aren't they the #3 seed? I thought they hold the tiebreaker over NE because they beat them this year. If I'm not mistaken (assuming Balt. and NE both win the wildcard round) we get a re-match against Balt. in denver and Houston and NE duke it out to get to the AFC championship game.

Mouth

Br0nc0Buster
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the ravens win out aren't they the #3 seed? I thought they hold the tiebreaker over NE because they beat them this year. If I'm not mistaken (assuming Balt. and NE both win the wildcard round) we get a re-match against Balt. in denver and Houston and NE duke it out to get to the AFC championship game.

Mouth

The ravens already have 5 losses
unless the pats drop a game against the jags or dolphins the ravens are not getting the 3 seed

Mountain Bronco
12-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Mouth

Ravens are 9-5, NE is 10-4.

Mouth
12-18-2012, 01:18 PM
The ravens already have 5 losses
unless the pats drop a game against the jags or dolphins the ravens are not getting the 3 seed

Right. I'm working crazy hours and I think my brain is fried. I Don't know what I was thinking.

Edit: 75 hours a week as salary sucks.

Mouth

Armchair Bronco
12-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Denver vs. Seattle in the Super Bowl, baby!

Dedhed
12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't think that anyone is going to beat NE at Foxboro, but I agree with 55 in that I want them to at least be in a dog fight and come into Denver with some lumps and bumps.

I think if we can hold on to the #2 seed we'll be able to beat them in our house, and I think we can beat the Texans anywhere we play them. Their defense is short-handed compared to when we faced them early in the season, and we've improved far more than they have over the course of the year.

I that in order to get to the SB we're going to have to beat NE and the Texans. The top 3 seeds in the AFC are head and shoulders above the rest.

broncofan4life
12-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Regardless, I think to earn our Super Bowl we will have to face NE. I think we need to. It will prove to us that we can and exercise all sorts of demons. There was a time we owned them. We haven't beat NE since McDaniels was a head coach. It's time to bring them here and face them on our terms. If we can't beat or are scared of the Patriots, we don't deserve the Super Bowl.. Agree 100%

ZONA
12-18-2012, 04:57 PM

I've been saying this for 3 weeks now. Either home or away, we are going to run into NE and have to beat them to reach the Superbowl. I'm much happier it's going to be in Denver. I think we have a good shot. The 49'ers really had a great 1st half against them but I saw many 49'ers players not finishing plays in that 2nd half, as if NE was just going to realize their defeat and stop trying.

This is going to be fun.

errand
12-18-2012, 06:48 PM
If you ask me, I think the rest of the AFC playoff team's fans are dreaming up scenarios to avoid playing the Broncos. this team is playing on a high level despite not having played a perfect game yet.

We have a HoF QB (Manning).......an above average OL with Ramirez, a very good one with Kuper

a decent running game fueled by Moreno....one beast of a WR (Thomas)and two other decent WR's (Decker and Stokley)

TE's that can catch and block as well as anyone else outside of NE (Tamme, Dreesen)

One of the better P's (Colquitt) and K (Prater) with an electrifying PR (Holliday)

Two of the NFL's most feared pass rushers (Doom, Miller)...a tackling machine at LB (Woodyard)

elite cover corner who generally shuts down opposing teams best WR (Bailey) and two other CB's who make teams pay for coming their way as well as evidenced by their 3 INT's returned for TD's (Harris, Carter)

And while the S's (Adams, Moore) don't garner a lot of headlines they also don't make a lot of mistakes either.....add in one of the better DC's and OC's and a no nonsense head coach, and a stadium crowd that can get as loud as anyone else's....I think other teams are afraid to play the Broncos.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-18-2012, 07:56 PM
no matter who we play they aint gonna roll over and die for us.
i'm pretty shure itll be New England that we are going to have to beat to advance to the next game and im not sold on Houston beating anyone in the playoffs. unless the team they meet back into the playoffs.

maven
12-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Baltimore already beat New England.

Yep, I've already said Baltimore would be the best matchup against the Patriots. If they can get their players back healthy and play physical football I think this is the best matchup against the Patriots in the wild card.

TheChamp24
12-19-2012, 05:42 AM
If you ask me, I think the rest of the AFC playoff team's fans are dreaming up scenarios to avoid playing the Broncos. this team is playing on a high level despite not having played a perfect game yet.

We have a HoF QB (Manning).......an above average OL with Ramirez, a very good one with Kuper

a decent running game fueled by Moreno....one beast of a WR (Thomas)and two other decent WR's (Decker and Stokley)

TE's that can catch and block as well as anyone else outside of NE (Tamme, Dreesen)

One of the better P's (Colquitt) and K (Prater) with an electrifying PR (Holliday)

Two of the NFL's most feared pass rushers (Doom, Miller)...a tackling machine at LB (Woodyard)

elite cover corner who generally shuts down opposing teams best WR (Bailey) and two other CB's who make teams pay for coming their way as well as evidenced by their 3 INT's returned for TD's (Harris, Carter)

And while the S's (Adams, Moore) don't garner a lot of headlines they also don't make a lot of mistakes either.....add in one of the better DC's and OC's and a no nonsense head coach, and a stadium crowd that can get as loud as anyone else's....I think other teams are afraid to play the Broncos.

I agree with this, when Houston, New England, Atlanta played us early, we were still gelling together. People say we haven't played a complete game, but we just went into Baltimore and beat them 34-17, and all their points were scored when the game was essentially over with.
Our point differential is 3rd in the NFL. We've won by 2+ scores 7 times this season, and 3 other games the opposition scored late to make it a 1 score game.
We lost by 6, 6 and 10 points in our losses, and each of those games costly turnovers killed our chances.

We are the only team with a top 5 offense and defense.

We have a dynamic threat in the return game.

Our kicker has a great leg and usually comes up making the clutch kicks we need.

I guarantee a lot of other fans of other teams are hoping they don't have to play Denver.

Old Dude
12-19-2012, 06:44 AM

From what I've seen of the Steelers recently, yes, I think Cincy will handle them. Rapistburger hasn't been the same since the rib injury.

Rohirrim
12-19-2012, 07:13 AM
I would have to go with the Steelers on that one. Lately, the Bengals have beaten all the really bad teams in the league (and the Giants, who nobody can figure out), but when they come up against a good team they fall. I'm not sure Pitt is a "good team" yet, but they've beaten Cincy once. I'm betting they'll do it again.

The game I'm really looking forward to (other than the Broncos, of course) is the Seahawks/Niners next SNF. That is going to be a slobber knocker. ;D