PDA

View Full Version : Chargers turn to Groupon to avoid blackout

rideco
12-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Wow just wow. I almost feel bad for them but hell it might allows some people that are fans who cant afford tickets to go see their team.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2012/12/12/chargers-sell-tickets-on-groupon/?hpt=us_bn10

Ironlung
12-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Maybe ticket sales will be better in L.A.

Beantown Bronco
12-14-2012, 08:02 AM
What I find hilarious is the first comment at the bottom of that article. The guy is still complaining about $25 parking. $25? Really?

Pats parking is $45-50 anywhere near Gillette stadium. And California in theory is supposed to be even more expensive a market. $25 is bargain parking as far as I'm concerned. I doubt any other NFL stadium charges less than that.

Crushaholic
12-14-2012, 08:19 AM
What I find hilarious is the first comment at the bottom of that article. The guy is still complaining about $25 parking. $25? Really?

Pats parking is $45-50 anywhere near Gillette stadium. And California in theory is supposed to be even more expensive a market. $25 is bargain parking as far as I'm concerned. I doubt any other NFL stadium charges less than that.

If you can afford to live in San Diego, you can afford the $25 parking...Hilarious!

maven
12-14-2012, 09:33 AM
They sell all the groupon deals? It's no longer available.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-at-san-diego-chargers

I think it's a cool idea. The parking charges mentioned in this thread is a joke though. Absolutely no reason to charge that much.

baja
12-14-2012, 09:52 AM
If you can afford to live in San Diego, you can afford the $25 parking...Hilarious!

San Diego is not that expensive for everything besides housing

broncocalijohn
12-14-2012, 10:14 AM

You have to compare the size. Chargers probably has the biggest parking lot of all metro stadiums. They charged $10 just a few years back and jumped to $20 then $25 within a few years. His complaint is that people are hurting and paying $25 just to park takes a lot of money out of the situation to go to the game. There is $10 and $15 near that stadium but there isn't much nearby if your plan is to tailgate.
SD has an old stadium with yardage seats being in the ballpark of Oakland for farthest distance to field. They charge $100 for a seat that cost $77 in Denver. That stadium just needs to be renovated to a football stadium but right now the remaining look of the Padres' Jack Murphy Stadium still exist.

Says the guy from Topeka, Kansas where homes starting price is $25.

Beantown Bronco
12-14-2012, 12:38 PM
You have to compare the size. Chargers probably has the biggest parking lot of all metro stadiums. They charged $10 just a few years back and jumped to $20 then $25 within a few years. His complaint is that people are hurting and paying $25 just to park takes a lot of money out of the situation to go to the game.

I understand the general complaint about cost of parking. But it's the same or worse everywhere else.

I'm just honestly wondering if there are any better deals ANYWHERE else for parking immediately around a stadium. I don't know the answer personally. I just know that, for the places I've seen myself or checked out online, I've never heard of stadium parking anywhere that's currently significantly less than $25.

Houshyamama
12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
San Diego is not that expensive for everything besides housing

I could get 3 times the house in Denver for what I'm paying here. Housing is ridiculous.

Swedish Extrovert
12-14-2012, 12:53 PM
I pay $10 to park in the University of Colorado-Denver parking garage for Broncos games

baja
12-14-2012, 12:53 PM
I could get 3 times the house in Denver for what I'm paying here. Housing is ridiculous.

Yup, supply and demand.

Interesting food, restaurants and entertainment are reasonable and comparable to other parts of the country.

Hell restaurants in San Diego are much more reasonable than here in Cabo.

Beantown Bronco
12-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I pay $10 to park in the University of Colorado-Denver parking garage for Broncos games

But that's almost a full mile from the stadium. I assume most, if not all, stadiums have that kind of option if you're willing to walk far enough. If we're talking exclusively the "official stadium parking" immediately around the stadium itself, $25 is as good as you're going to get in any NFL venue.

(Just checked and even Jacksonville charges $25 per game)

Requiem
12-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Pretty sure it was $40 bucks to park a block or so away when I went to the Bears game last year. Split four ways. Well worth it.

HILife
12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
But that's almost a full mile from the stadium. I assume most, if not all, stadiums have that kind of option if you're willing to walk far enough. If we're talking exclusively the "official stadium parking" immediately around the stadium itself, $25 is as good as you're going to get in any NFL venue.

(Just checked and even Jacksonville charges $25 per game)

Mile isn't far. I take the metro to Fed-ex Field and it's about a mile walk from the metro to the stadium. Done it several times.

crawdad
12-14-2012, 02:28 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/not-even-groupon-can-prevent-a-chargers-blackout/