PDA

View Full Version : Cam Cameron fired

DBroncos4life
12-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Is this a good move before the Broncos game?

WolfpackGuy
12-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Damn, I was hoping they'd hang onto him for another week because he'd always forget they had Ray Rice.

LOL

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
12-10-2012, 08:43 AM
I just saw that on NFL network. Is this good for or bad?

bronco militia
12-10-2012, 08:45 AM
it's not good for game planning....2nd half adjustments will be key.

gyldenlove
12-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Dean Pees is a bigger problem than Cam Cameron. Cameron had the right idea, give the ball to Ray Rice and hope Joe Flacco doesn't find a way to **** up the game anyway.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Caldwell is in. Hope manning isn't using the same language as he did with Caldwell

socalorado
12-10-2012, 09:08 AM
BALT is crippled. They are missing just about every key defensive player.
And now Yanda is on crutches too.
DEN should destroy them.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-10-2012, 09:14 AM
BALT is crippled. They are missing just about every key defensive player.
And now Yanda is on crutches too.
DEN should destroy them.

That game yesterday put them through the ringers. This is a good week to play them

Kaylore
12-10-2012, 09:17 AM
This is good and here's why.

First it's a sign of desperation and a team in turmoil. Think of some previous teams that were firing coordinators in the middle of the season. How did that work out for those teams? If you're firing your coordinator, you have some problems - and they are usually bigger than your coordinator which leads to...

Second, it means someone is being blamed for a lot of things going wrong. Cameron deserves some of the blame, but not all of it. It's not his fault their line is banged up, for example. The reason an offensive coordinator gets fired in the middle of the season usually points to a problem with the Quarterback. Which leads to...

Third, their QB has not been playing well. He's been above average, but not great and personally I think he's peaked. Coordinators getting fired is never a good sign for the QB. It could herald bad things for Flacco while the front office props him up.

Now this does create some problems for us going into the game in that we don't know what their tendencies are or how the game is going to be called. That said, they aren't going to install a whole new offense in a three days of practice. The verbage will be the same and the basic concepts probably too. If they try to change too much they could make mistakes. And taking over play calling duties suddenly isn't always a smooth transition.

Bottom line: It's bad long term for the Ravens and signals internal turmoil. This team is on a two game losing streak because they finally stopped getting all the breaks. We can win this game if we man up and play hard. Any benefit from their unknown element can be overcome from the transition they are going through and the fact that we're a great team at adjusting.

oubronco
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
The game will be won or lost on if they're D-line ragdolls our O-line and Manning gets pounded into the ground

socalorado
12-10-2012, 09:34 AM
That game yesterday put them through the ringers. This is a good week to play them

Yeah, that game was absolutely fun to watch, but both teams were also destroyed. Especially BALT.
One of the best games of the season.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-10-2012, 09:40 AM
The game will be won or lost on if they're D-line ragdolls our O-line and Manning gets pounded into the ground

Yep we don't want to see an RG3 ending with Manning. Don't need to see Brock comin in for OT

broncocalijohn
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
New leader on offense? Hell yeah it help us. I might see some trickery to try to prove himself.

winstoncup bronco
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Well, unless our original gameplan wasn't to stop Ray Rice and pressure Flacco into mistakes, what should change?

swaiy
12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Caldwell is in. Hope manning isn't using the same language as he did with Caldwell

Manning is using the language of McCoy's system. When he got here, they said it would be easier for him to learn a new system and language instead of the entire team.

DenverBroncosJM
12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Is Kuper back this week?

Kaylore
12-10-2012, 09:51 AM

They're middle of the road for sacking the QB. Decent, but not great. They've also played some teams that have been easier to sack. If Kuper plays I am not worried.

Requiem
12-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Very nice. Too bad we don't play the Eagles. I think Andy Reid has cast blame on about everyone there but him. Maybe if he'd put down the philly cheesesteaks and bacon grease and focus on football, they would be doing a lot better.

Tombstone RJ
12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
someone has to be blamed for the two game skid I guess. Might as well be the OC.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Manning is using the language of McCoy's system. When he got here, they said it would be easier for him to learn a new system and language instead of the entire team.

That's true. But there's been times where I watched a play happen, and seen that exact play done by the Colts. To the point where the TV network will run a replay of a colts play, then show the same exact play in bronco uniforms. I see some Tom Moore influence sometimes

Requiem
12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
I see some Tom Moore influence sometimes

Just sometimes?

Smiling Assassin27
12-10-2012, 10:43 AM
This is a good thing. Caldwell ain't exactly what i'd call innovative or a guy that possesses the element of surprise. He will, however, rely on Rice so guys like Vickerson, Methwolf, Bannan, et al had better bring their lunch pails.

Flacco has the ability to fling it and I think this will be reigned in cuz Harbaugh wants to run it and run it some more. Watch for a boatload of screens to backs, IMO.

We should be able to run it against these guys--especially if Kupe's back--but the ravens d is one of those that can force turnovers in bunches, so knowshon and the other backs had better have this as their focus.

BroncoBeavis
12-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Wasn't Cam getting props earlier this season for the Flaccens finally scoring some points?

maven
12-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Third, their QB has not been playing well. He's been above average, but not great and personally I think he's peaked. Coordinators getting fired is never a good sign for the QB. It could herald bad things for Flacco while the front office props him up.

Where did you come up with this? Flacco is probably the happiest guy right now in Baltimore.

Kaylore
12-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Where did you come up with this? Flacco is probably the happiest guy right now in Baltimore.

I think you may have misunderstood. Flacco has not played consistent. For whatever reason he is horrible on the road. He's also not very good on third down, and terrible on second down for some baffling reason. He has very poor pocket awareness. He takes a lot of sacks and fumbles as much as a scrambling QB. At home he's better, and last game was a road game where he played better too.

I wasn't suggesting he was mad. I have no idea what his relationship with with Cam was and perhaps he welcomes the change. If he was part of it, he better step up. IMHO he's not a SB winning QB, at least not one that can take a team with clear problems into the playoffs, the way an Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady has.

CEH
12-10-2012, 11:16 AM
When Ray Rice doesn't touch the ball once in the 4th qtr at Pittsburgh something is wrong somewhere. Even I know Rice this their best player and needs touches

Mile High Salute
12-10-2012, 11:23 AM
It's a good move for the Broncos.

We're not even sure Jim Caldwell is still alive. LOL

troyjbath
12-10-2012, 11:23 AM
It'll be tough for Denver to game plan and they'll need to rely on adjustments. I'd expect Caldwell to rely heavily on Ray Rice in this game. He'll be a huge part of the passing attack. I think we'll see a ton of screens to Rice and Smith. Their O line doesn't match up well against Denver. They know it and will have Flacco getting rid of the ball quickly. I doubt we'll see many 5 step drops. They'll rely on the running game and quick slants to keep Manning off the field.

I expect Baltimore to be a tough out. They have Pitt and Cincy nipping at their heels with upcoming games against DEN, NYG, Cincy.

gyldenlove
12-10-2012, 11:24 AM
I think you may have misunderstood. Flacco has not played consistent. For whatever reason he is horrible on the road. He's also not very good on third down, and terrible on second down for some baffling reason. He has very poor pocket awareness. He takes a lot of sacks and fumbles as much as a scrambling QB. At home he's better, and last game was a road game where he played better too.

I wasn't suggesting he was mad. I have no idea what his relationship with with Cam was and perhaps he welcomes the change. If he was part of it, he better step up. IMHO he's not a SB winning QB, at least not one that can take a team with clear problems into the playoffs, the way an Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady has.

Cam has been trying quite hard to keep the game out of Flacco's hands and it has been working. Get the ball to Ray Rice and let him win the game. Flacco have had a few good games this season, some mediocre ones and a few stinkers, he is a starting quality QB but he is definitely not elite.

I think firing Cam Cameron has to be seen as Harbaugh rolling the dice, he knows he needs to do something to shake up the team and I believe the feeling was that Caldwell would be a decent replacement for Cameron compared to whoever they could have put in place instead of Dean Pees, who is almost certainly going to be fired in the off-season.

Kaylore
12-10-2012, 11:33 AM
If you're firing guys to "shake things up" at this point in the season, you have problems.

baja
12-10-2012, 11:41 AM
This is good and here's why.

First it's a sign of desperation and a team in turmoil. Think of some previous teams that were firing coordinators in the middle of the season. How did that work out for those teams? If you're firing your coordinator, you have some problems - and they are usually bigger than your coordinator which leads to...

Second, it means someone is being blamed for a lot of things going wrong. Cameron deserves some of the blame, but not all of it. It's not his fault their line is banged up, for example. The reason an offensive coordinator gets fired in the middle of the season usually points to a problem with the Quarterback. Which leads to...

Now this does create some problems for us going into the game in that we don't know what their tendencies are or how the game is going to be called. That said, they aren't going to install a whole new offense in a three days of practice. The verbage will be the same and the basic concepts probably too. If they try to change too much they could make mistakes. And taking over play calling duties suddenly isn't always a smooth transition.

Bottom line: It's bad long term for the Ravens and signals internal turmoil. This team is on a two game losing streak because they finally stopped getting all the breaks. We can win this game if we man up and play hard. Any benefit from their unknown element can be overcome from the transition they are going through and the fact that we're a great team at adjusting.

I agree with a lot of your points Kaylore but specific to this week's game I do not like it. Our game film on them just went out the window to an extent.

How will the team respond to this move? There might be more motivation from the players depending on if Cam has lost them or not. Bet we are going to see a ton of Rice.

It is now even more important we get up on them early but it is an early East Coast game which we have started slow in those games. Can't do that this week.

This is our game to lose. All we need to do is slow down Rice and score early and we should win this game going away but changing coordinators does create a wrinkle we did not want.

gyldenlove
12-10-2012, 11:42 AM
If you're firing guys to "shake things up" at this point in the season, you have problems.

The Ravens have had problems for a while.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
12-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Tru dat.

lonestar
12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Some one mentioned adjusting to the game as it goes on. IMO there is few better at that than JDR.

He has a lot of toys to play with and if we can contain Rice then I really do not fear the O.

"Where there is confusion, there is profit" And changing OC there has to be confusion.

Let's see of JDR can do something with it.

Kaylore
12-10-2012, 11:47 AM
The Ravens have had problems for a while.

That's my point. Only it means they are deep and finally came to a head. The symptoms were there - being down to bad teams. But the miracles and refs blown calls were bailing them out. Losing to Charlie Batch at home is when it became clear. Now they're just throwing crap on the wall to try and fix things.

Kaylore
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree with a lot of your points Kaylore but specific to this week's game I do not like it. Our game film on them just went out the window to an extent.

How will the team respond to this move? There might be more motivation from the players depending on if Cam has lost them or not. Bet we are going to see a ton of Rice.

The game film isn't "out the window." The players still play their position and they aren't throwing the playbook away. I mean if they decide they are going to install an entirely new system in three days, I welcome it.

All it means is the personal coaching of Flacco changed and the play calling has changed. The plays haven't. There will be some guesswork, but so too with Caldwell. How many times has he called plays against us? (never.)

I don't expect an easy game, but my general point is the Ravens have problems. I predict even if they beat us they will lose at least one more game, probably two and we'll still finish ahead of them. They are a team in decline and the window is pretty much closed. THAT'S my point.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-10-2012, 11:56 AM
The game film isn't "out the window." The players still play their position and they aren't throwing the playbook away. I mean if they decide they are going to install an entirely new system in three days, I welcome it.

All it means is the personal coaching of Flacco changed and the play calling has changed. The plays haven't. There will be some guesswork, but so too with Caldwell. How many times has he called plays against us? (never.)

I don't expect an easy game, but my general point is the Ravens have problems. I predict even if they beat us they will lose at least one more game, probably two and we'll still finish ahead of them. They are a team in decline and the window is pretty much closed. THAT'S my point.

Agreed.

While countless variables influence football results, I'd easily argue instability far outweighs possible "unpredictablity" in this case.

Mediator12
12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
This always builds a team up in the short term, and the offense will play as hard as they can for Caldwell because of the change. I am not happy about it for that very reason.

However, Jim Caldwell has never called plays in the NFL and I can not remember if he ever did in College either. Playcalling is an art and it has a tremendous effect on the game at this level. I am a little stunned they let HIM be the playcaller in the short term.

As far as Flacco goes, Caldwell was already the QB coach and he has not done anything I have seen this season to date to show he has improved Flacco's game. He fails massively at being a leader on that team and making the players around him better. Kids an average QB on a great team. A team that is riddled with injuries and looking very vulnerable.

razorwire77
12-10-2012, 12:21 PM
This always builds a team up in the short term, and the offense will play as hard as they can for Caldwell because of the change. I am not happy about it for that very reason.

However, Jim Caldwell has never called plays in the NFL and I can not remember if he ever did in College either. Playcalling is an art and it has a tremendous effect on the game at this level. I am a little stunned they let HIM be the playcaller in the short term.

As far as Flacco goes, Caldwell was already the QB coach and he has not done anything I have seen this season to date to show he has improved Flacco's game. He fails massively at being a leader on that team and making the players around him better. Kids an average QB on a great team. A team that is riddled with injuries and looking very vulnerable.

I remember getting laughed at by my Raven fan friends when I called Flacco a bigger Brian Griese, with a slightly better arm. As this team ages and falls apart defensively, we're really going to see Flacco regress. It's going to be a beautiful thing to watch.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
12-10-2012, 12:27 PM

I think what we're all nervous about is more the down and distance tendencies the Broncos will be facing.

Mediator12
12-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I think what we're all nervous about is more the down and distance tendencies the Broncos will be facing.

I do not worry about that at all. The personnel is still the same. Caldwell has very little time to change anything and Harbaugh is still the HC.

What I worry about is the gameplan minus Cameron. What will they do differently to attack this defense than Cameron would have done. Will they actually be more aggressive as a change of pace and try and get Tori Smith deep on the young CB's. I think you have to play a lot of base early and see how they are going to attack you differently, but also have a pressure package ready if they try and get aggressive from the start. Nothing JDR will not already have available, but I would like to see some serious effort early on this one and not get behind.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Flacco has been crying about Cameron since 2010 because he doesn't let Flacco audible and prefers a check-down offense. Flacco wants to be able to take more deep shots and have the freedom to audible at the line. This season, Cameron has been notorious for going ultra-conservative as well as limiting Ray Rice's touches for no apparent rhyme or reason.

What is going to happen, for sure, is that Baltimore will be more aggressive on offense, specifically taking deep shots and using playaction. And they will run Ray Rice into the ground in between the deep shots. Guaranteed.

So, basically, we're playing the Tampa Bay Bucs offense. We just need to hold Rice in check early and cover Smith deep. Once we get 10-14 point lead, they'll be in trouble. The only way we lose this is if we can't stop Ray Rice, on screens and running the ball. Besides keeping Manning off the field, that will open up playaction, and Smith is fast enough to burn us deep.

Cito Pelon
12-10-2012, 12:51 PM
There must have been some serious strife in the clubhouse for this to happen. I wonder if Flacco and Caldwell were stabbing Cameron in the back, whispering sweet nothings into harbaugh's ear.

Caldwell couldn't have been happy to go from HC back to QB coach, so I can see him trying to move Cameron out so he can get an OC position.

Tombstone RJ
12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
lol, Flacco wants to prove to everyone he's elite and it is a contract year right? This is Harbaugh's way of saying "ok" lets see what you got. I think the Broncos should do some good old zone blitzes and combine that will aggressive play from VonDoom.

baja
12-10-2012, 12:54 PM

Oh we agree all I am saying is they are now less predictable.

I also agree they will lose again. In fact I said a while back I would not be surprised if they didn't even make the playoffs but that was before Pittsburg shiit the bed and got beat by SD.

broncosteven
12-10-2012, 01:20 PM
I do not worry about that at all. The personnel is still the same. Caldwell has very little time to change anything and Harbaugh is still the HC.

What I worry about is the gameplan minus Cameron. What will they do differently to attack this defense than Cameron would have done. Will they actually be more aggressive as a change of pace and try and get Tori Smith deep on the young CB's. I think you have to play a lot of base early and see how they are going to attack you differently, but also have a pressure package ready if they try and get aggressive from the start. Nothing JDR will not already have available, but I would like to see some serious effort early on this one and not get behind.

What I love about Fox and his staff is that they have proven over the last 2 years that they can adjust at the half. I bet we start out slow again on the road and feel them out then adjust at the half and own them in the 3rd quarter like we have done most of this year.

I do fear the motivation factor but if this guy has no experience at any level calling plays I think it will bode well for us as the game goes on.

Cito Pelon
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Harbaugh: So, what did you two want to talk to me about?
Flacco (excited): John, me and Jim have a plan to be more explosive.
Caldwell: AND more consistent.
Harbaugh: Oh yeah?
Flacco (even more excited): Yeah. Cam has been holding us back, you know that. You know what he told me yesterday? You know what he told me? He said I have to be more consistent and more aware. Can you believe that? I hate him, and I think he hates me.
Harbaugh: Well.....
Caldwell: John, we have a plan. We don't need more consistency, we need to be more explosive.
Harbaugh: You just said your plan would be MORE consistent.
Caldwell: I meant more consistently explosive. Look, there's this thing in Madden where you can see that.
Harbaugh: Well, Jim, you've never been an OC, never called plays in a game.
Caldwell: I've been practicing playcalling though.
Harbaugh: In Madden??
Flacco: It works! I've seen it!

Cito Pelon
12-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Flacco has been crying about Cameron since 2010 because he doesn't let Flacco audible and prefers a check-down offense. Flacco wants to be able to take more deep shots and have the freedom to audible at the line. This season, Cameron has been notorious for going ultra-conservative as well as limiting Ray Rice's touches for no apparent rhyme or reason.

What is going to happen, for sure, is that Baltimore will be more aggressive on offense, specifically taking deep shots and using playaction. And they will run Ray Rice into the ground in between the deep shots. Guaranteed.

So, basically, we're playing the Tampa Bay Bucs offense. We just need to hold Rice in check early and cover Smith deep. Once we get 10-14 point lead, they'll be in trouble. The only way we lose this is if we can't stop Ray Rice, on screens and running the ball. Besides keeping Manning off the field, that will open up playaction, and Smith is fast enough to burn us deep.

Well, I hope I don't have to eat crow for making fun of them in my post above. Maybe the change will work out for them.

From what I've seen I agree with a lot of what you said - ultra-conservative at times, taking Rice out of the playcalling, holding the reins back on Flacco.

Rice does have 270 touches this year (218 rush, 52 pass). Balt is pretty low on total rushes at 334, but are 6th in rushing TD's.

Balt is 17th in pass attempts, but Flacco is pretty low in comp % at 59%. And middle of the pack in YPA, 16th in TD passes, just behind rookie Russell Wilso, and tied with rookies Luck, and RG3.

So maybe the change will do them good. Seems to me there must have been some major strife and discord going on with their Offensive team to do this at this point.

baja
12-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Well, I hope I don't have to eat crow for making fun of them in my post above. Maybe the change will work out for them.

From what I've seen I agree with a lot of what you said - ultra-conservative at times, taking Rice out of the playcalling, holding the reins back on Flacco.

Rice does have 270 touches this year (218 rush, 52 pass). Balt is pretty low on total rushes at 334, but are 6th in rushing TD's.

Balt is 17th in pass attempts, but Flacco is pretty low in comp % at 59%. And middle of the pack in YPA, 16th in TD passes, just behind rookie Russell Wilso, and tied with rookies Luck, and RG3.

So maybe the change will do them good. Seems to me there must have been some major strife and discord going on with their Offensive team to do this at this point.

Yup. Pretty drastic move to do on the tail end of a playoff run. Something had to be radically bad as Kaylore pointed out previously.

spiralism
12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Supposedly Caldwell has been trying to get a no-huddle offence implemented but Cameron was standing in the way of it. This is worrying, i do not want a repeat of week 5 and the pats turbohuddle killing us, Rice worries me far more than Ridley ever did.

baja
12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Supposedly Caldwell has been trying to get a no-huddle offence implemented but Cameron was standing in the way of it. This is worrying, i do not want a repeat of week 5 and the pats turbohuddle killing us, Rice worries me far more than Ridley ever did.

No huddle with three days to prepare - not worried.

spiralism
12-10-2012, 04:37 PM
No huddle with three days to prepare - not worried.

Not if it basically amounts to them getting Rice heavily involved through it, which wouldn't be that hard. Certainly more of a problem than Cameron ignoring Rice for almost entire drives and spamming four verticals like a 15 year old playing Madden with the Pats.

baja
12-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Not if it basically amounts to them getting Rice heavily involved through it, which wouldn't be that hard. Certainly more of a problem than Cameron ignoring Rice for almost entire drives and spamming four verticals like a 15 year old playing Madden with the Pats.

Well either way we should see a ton of Rice unless / until we get up be a couple of scores.

That is why I hope we come out on the attack and not prodding the D for weakness like we have done all season. I say attack with play action early and often and set them on their heals then settle into our running game.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I thought they ran like exclusively no huddle in the preseason...that was supposed to be their thing? Maybe im making it up

baja
12-10-2012, 05:04 PM
we will be having some Rice-o-runny

Cito Pelon
12-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I hear over and over again from the talking heads, "Flacco loves the no-huddle". So my thinking is Flacco and maybe some other guys were lobbying to get Cameron out of control so Flacco could run the no-huddle more often, and thereby become a kickass offense. How that's gonna work out for them only time will tell.

Agamemnon
12-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Going with a vertical passing game against Von Miller is an extremely bad idea. They'd be much better off centering their attack around getting Ray Rice the ball than letting Flacco throw long balls all day against our pass rush and secondary.

Cito Pelon
12-10-2012, 05:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732341/baltimore-ravens-fire-cam-cameron-tab-jim-caldwell

Harbaugh gambling he'll somehow get more offense to cover for a fading defense? I'd have to think Ozzie Newsome was on board with this decision. It just sounds like Cameron is a scapegoat.

Jesterhole
12-10-2012, 05:58 PM
I think no matter what, we're going to get a heavy does of Ray Rice all day, because stopping the run is the one major weakness this team still has.