PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys LB Jerry Brown killed in accident: NT Josh Brent charged with vehicular manslaughter.

DomCasual
12-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Some crazy stuff going on in the NFL the past few weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/08/cowboys-jerry-brown-dead-teammate-josh-brent-charged/

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 8, 2012, 3:10 PM EST
Josh Brent AP

Cowboys linebacker Jerry Brown has died in an early morning car crash, and Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent has been charged with intoxication manslaughter in Brown’s death.

The police department in Irving, Texas, has confirmed that Brown died in a crash early this morning and Brent (whose legal name is Josh Price-Brent) was charged.

“Officers at the scene believed alcohol was a contributing factor in the crash; therefore, Price-Brent was asked to perform field sobriety tests,” a statement from the Irving Police Department said. “Based on the results of the tests, along with the officer’s observations and conversations with Price-Brent, he was arrested for driving while intoxicated. He was transported to an area hospital for a mandatory blood draw. Once it was learned that the passenger of his vehicle had died as a result of the crash, Price-Brent was booked into the Irving City Jail on one count of Intoxication Manslaughter.”

Brown and Brent were friends and teammates at Illinois before becoming teammates again with the Cowboys. Brown was 25.

Wes Mantooth
12-08-2012, 12:37 PM
horrible

Rocket 7
12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/dipsomaniac1/111111111.png

Rohirrim
12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Some mistakes you can never recover from.

Tombstone RJ
12-08-2012, 01:09 PM
unbelievable, simply inexcusable. Call a cab, why is that so hard?

Lestat
12-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Some mistakes you can never recover from.

this is just dumb on Brent's part. i mean call a cab, hire a driver, use a sober friend or something.
now you have a dead friend and will probably be facing jail time.
not to mention the mental damage of knowing you caused it.

illbroncsfn
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Sad story for us U of I fans.....

I coached against Josh Brent when he was in high school. Some kids you can tell are "Sunday Good" and he was one of those individuals- was a great track athlete- National Champion Shot putter as a 15 year old. Now he has made a tragic error that will haunt him forever- sad....

broncofever
12-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Sad story for us U of I fans.....

I coached against Josh Brent when he was in high school. Some kids you can tell are "Sunday Good" and he was one of those individuals- was a great track athlete- National Champion Shot putter as a 15 year old. Now he has made a tragic error that will haunt him forever- sad....

yes because the sad part is he made an error.. Not that he killed Jerry Brown.

My heart goes out to the family of Jerry Brown. Condolences and prayers to the family.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-08-2012, 04:47 PM
this is so dumb ,sad, preventable if you are drunk call a cab or find some place to sober up dont drive your only turning yourself into a potential rolling death machine. if you dont care about your life then drive off a cliff spare other people the price of your mistake

cutthemdown
12-08-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm staying away from this one. :)

winstoncup bronco
12-08-2012, 05:06 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/dipsomaniac1/111111111.png

How did you find this? What an age we live in.

illbroncsfn
12-08-2012, 05:52 PM

My heart goes out to the family of Jerry Brown. Condolences and prayers to the family.

Taking some liberties there.... Tragic accident, senseless, avoidable, and obviously horrible for the Brown family, RIP Jerry....

I know Josh Brent personally and find tragedy in his plight and the reality he faces for the rest of his life.

broncswin
12-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Sad day for both families

fwf
12-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Ugh. Get over yourself. No one gives a **** about your message board thoughts and prayers.

g6matty
12-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Yolo

Armchair Bronco
12-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Will these clowns ever to learn to call a cab or hire a limo for the night?

Even back in my drinking days, I had the good sense to keep a $20 bill in my wallet for emergency cab rides.

It's not that hard, really. Especially for guys with relatively fat bank accounts.

Tombstone RJ
12-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Will these clowns ever to learn to call a cab or hire a limo for the night?

Even back in my drinking days, I had the good sense to keep a $20 bill in my wallet for emergency cab rides.

It's not that hard, really. Especially for guys with relatively fat bank accounts.

the thing is Jerra provides a FREE car service for all the players just for crap like this. W-T-?

broncofever
12-09-2012, 02:58 AM
Taking some liberties there.... Tragic accident, senseless, avoidable, and obviously horrible for the Brown family, RIP Jerry....

I know Josh Brent personally and find tragedy in his plight and the reality he faces for the rest of his life.

That's understandable. I just found that the articles all seem to focus on him and not Jerry brown which seems odd. Don't get me wrong both of them made a choice to get in a car with someone who drank too much and could've easily made the call to a taxi. It's sad all around. Didn't mean to be so judgemental. Sorry about that.

broncofever
12-09-2012, 03:02 AM
Ugh. Get over yourself. No one gives a **** about your message board thoughts and prayers.

So why respond and quote it? Calling me out make u feel better? Yes I was a bit pretentious. But it's actually no different than the judgemental asshatism you are displaying with your response. Had u let it go it would've disappeared into the myriad of other useless Internet posts.

Bacchus
12-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Horrible thing, When I was young I used to drink drive all the time. Sometimes you just get lucky.

BroncoBeavis
12-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Horrible thing, When I was young I used to drink drive all the time. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Yeah. And I love all the dudes pretending like being given a fat bank account and NFL career at age 24 they would have made nothing but great decisions the whole time.

One stupid decision that will never end now. Bad deal.

Rock Chalk
12-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Not for nothing but Jerry Brown was either drunk with him and should have called a cab as well OR was sober and let a drunk person drive him, which is just retarded.

It is a tragedy that anyone died because of an idiotic decision, but let's not start proclaiming the dead one as innocent. He could just have easily been the one driving and Josh Brent been killed because its quite obvious neither of them was smart enough to call a cab.

And if Jones really does have a free service he offers to his players, this is even more retarded.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-09-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm staying away from this one. :)

You really can't resist being a total ****ing moron can you?

An absolute tragedy. And sadly, it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Incidentally, this is why I have such a problem with DJ Williams. Could have easily been him.

Bacchus
12-09-2012, 08:02 AM
You really can't resist being a total ****ing moron can you?

An absolute tragedy. And sadly, it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Incidentally, this is why I have such a problem with DJ Williams. Could have easily been him.

Over a hundred current NFL players have DUIs it could be anyone. If you have ever driven tipsy it could have been you.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Over a hundred current NFL players have DUIs it could be anyone. If you have ever driven tipsy it could have been you.

Yep, completely agree.

Lost one of my college buddies to a drunk driver about five years ago. It's cabs or car service for me now, every single time if I'm even remotely questionable.

If you have a smart phone, get the Uber app for car service. They're one of my clients, and they get me there safely every single time. Reasonably priced, too.

Taking your car just isn't worth it. Too much at stake.

RhymesayersDU
12-09-2012, 08:38 AM
So why respond and quote it? Calling me out make u feel better? Yes I was a bit pretentious. But it's actually no different than the judgemental asshatism you are displaying with your response. Had u let it go it would've disappeared into the myriad of other useless Internet posts.

Love the term "asshatism" here... I'm stealing that.

Anyways, pretty sad story. Count me as somebody who definitely got lucky when I was in college. Drove a few times I shouldn't have, no wrecks no DUIs. Like others have said, now I take cabs everywhere.

Bacchus
12-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Yep, completely agree.

Lost one of my college buddies to a drunk driver about five years ago. It's cabs or car service for me now, every single time if I'm even remotely questionable.

If you have a smart phone, get the Uber app for car service. They're one of my clients, and they get me there safely every single time. Reasonably priced, too.

Taking your car just isn't worth it. Too much at stake.

I do not go to the bars anymore, although I did watch football over a guys house last year drank beer and drove home.

Requiem
12-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I remember vividly the three times I drank and drove in my lifetime and they were honestly amongst the dumbest decisions I ever made. Once was after a wedding, once was after the 4th of July at a lake and the other was during the winter in Fargo after getting blasted at the bars. After losing two friends in the past several years to that, I will never do it again.

Most any college town has programs set up with their local universities and cab services to get you discount rates anywhere in the area. I know at NDSU when I was in student government, we worked with several cab services to get rates ~ 5 dollars anywhere in the F/M area -- which included West Fargo that was a few miles out of town and away from most all the bars.

For the cost of a drink, you and your friends would get home safe.

RIP to Jerry Brown, peace and love to Cowboys nation.

gunns
12-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Wow, Brown's mother forgives him, asks him to ride in the car with her and then this comes out. Would he have lived if Brent had acted sooner?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/eyewitness-describes-scene-crash-claimed-life-cowboys-linebacker-170937707--nfl.html

hades
12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Wow, Brown's mother forgives him, asks him to ride in the car with her and then this comes out. Would he have lived if Brent had acted sooner?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/eyewitness-describes-scene-crash-claimed-life-cowboys-linebacker-170937707--nfl.html

I heard the girl saying this on The Ticket (AM 1310 in Dallas) on my way hoemm tonight. She sounded like an idiot. The guys on the Ticket were sort of saying they think she is full of crap, but I didn't hear the end of it.

Pretty crazy if it is true, but maybe he was just in a daze, wondering WTH just happened, or thought his friend was already dead at first. Why would he say he didn't want to get out of the car if he was responsive? I dunno... Sad he died tho