PDA

View Full Version : Best modern era RB eligible for Hall of Fame?

Old Dude
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Article here:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/cold-hard-football-facts-blog/hall-fame-running-backs-who-is-worthy-gold-jacket/19885/

Some pretty compelling arguments by the stat guys. Pass 'em around.

gunns
12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Take that argument to the HOF. I've always said if they are going to use TD's lack of longevity against him they should us Bettis longevity against him. Majorily OVERRATED. And although the longevity thing is against TD I hate that they put he played for 7 years because it was really only 4 and looked what he accomplished. Amazing.

McDman
12-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Knowshon.

Bacchus
12-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Who Should Get a Gold Jacket?

I don't currently have a seat on the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection board, but after looking at the complete picture the above data provides, it is clear that the next running back to don a gold jacket should be Terrell Davis.
Davis' career was cut short thanks to a blown-out knee he suffered when making a tackle after a Brian Griese interception just four games into his first season post-Elway. He attempted two comebacks but only played in 13 more games after 1999.
The biggest knock on Davis is his the longevity of his career, but taking a look at how dominant he was over his best three years shows he was truly an elite running back during an era that had more than a few of them. Not having 10,000 career yards and less than 100 career games leaves Davis with a far smaller body of work than any of his contemporaries.

Offsetting the low career numbers are Davis' extraordinary post-season statistics, where he blows away every current and prospective member on our list when it comes to game averages and scoring. Once again, the only member of our "modern era" running back panel besides Davis to win a regular season MVP and Super Bowl MVP is Emmitt Smith.

There is NO WAY Roger Craig should go in ahead of Davis. That would be a travesty.

BroncoMan4ever
12-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Take that argument to the HOF. I've always said if they are going to use TD's lack of longevity against him they should us Bettis longevity against him. Majorily OVERRATED. And although the longevity thing is against TD I hate that they put he played for 7 years because it was really only 4 and looked what he accomplished. Amazing.

Exactly. TD had the most dominant 3 year period of any back in NFL history. Add in postseason work and you get a level of greatness that will never be seen again. Had his accomplishments occured in a Dallas,SF, or Pittsburgh uniform he'd already be in Canton

broncosteven
12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Exactly. TD had the most dominant 3 year period of any back in NFL history. Add in postseason work and you get a level of greatness that will never be seen again. Had his accomplishments occured in a Dallas,SF, or Pittsburgh uniform he'd already be in Canton

I agree, anyone who wins the league MVP and SB MVP as well as hits a mark like 2k, should be a 1st ballot HOF'er.

Without the freak injury who knows what he could have done or how long he would have played.

Houshyamama
12-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Great article, thanks for the link dude

NUB
12-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Look at those postseason stats by TD. That's just nuts. And those were very good teams Denver was playing against, particularly in '97.

Orange4Life
12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Don't forget that in 98 TD rarely played a full game. Most games he was done by the time the 4th quarter started

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Sheesh, I don't have a clue. The three Craig, TD, Bettis - well, there's 12 "modern era" RB's in the HOF, so I don't know. Craig no, TD maybe, Bettis probably.

Can those three match those already in?

Old Dude
12-07-2012, 09:12 PM

Can those three match those already in?

Check out the article I linked. It makes a pretty strong statistical case that TD does, the other two, not so much.

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Check out the article I linked. It makes a pretty strong statistical case that TD does, the other two, not so much.

Yeah, I checked it out. TD had 60 TD's, the lowest on those modern era guys was Thurman Thomas with 65.

The only backs that were in the 3 consecutive year TD total that Terrell Davis had were Earl Campbell and Marshall Faulk. Some other backs were close, but not in three consecutive years like Davis, Campbell and Faulk.

It's a tough call, taking off my orange glasses, it's a tough call.

Bronco Rob
12-07-2012, 10:03 PM
3 Pro Bowl selection (1996, 1997, 1998)
3 All-Pro selection (1996, 1997, 1998)
2 Super Bowl champion (XXXII, XXXIII)
2 AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1997, 1998)
1998 NFL MVP
1998 PFWA NFL MVP
1996 UPI AFL-AFC Player of the Year
1998 Super Bowl MVP
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Single Season 2,000 Rushing Yards Club
Denver Broncos 50th Anniversary Team

:thumbs:

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 10:25 PM
3 Pro Bowl selection (1996, 1997, 1998)
3 All-Pro selection (1996, 1997, 1998)
2 Super Bowl champion (XXXII, XXXIII)
2 AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1997, 1998)
1998 NFL MVP
1998 PFWA NFL MVP
1996 UPI AFL-AFC Player of the Year
1998 Super Bowl MVP
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Single Season 2,000 Rushing Yards Club
Denver Broncos 50th Anniversary Team

:thumbs:

It always comes down to the "longevity" thing, Rob and Old Dude. We had this argument about Curtis Martin, and he got the gold jacket because of longevity. 11 years of steady play, eight playoff TD's, 1100 playoff yards.

Terrell Davis had the better playoff statistics, 12 TD's, 1271 yds. But Denver also had John Elway and Shannon Sharpe, and so on and so on.

Old Dude
12-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I hear what you're saying. Still, it seems like there's always some reason that individual Broncos don't make it into the HoF - or have to wait forever. Gradishar and Mecklenberg had long careers and great stats but didn't win super bowls. Shanon Sharpe, who owned all the TE records and who won multiple super bowls had to wait a year because he wasn't really a TE - or was he? Floyd Little had to wait decades. Tombstone Jackson still isn't in the Hall.

So here we have Terrell Davis, the NFL's dominant RB for three years; the guy without whom Denver probably would not have won a super bowl to this day, MVP this and that, third highest ypc of all time (even when watered down by his post-injury efforts), and he's a "close case."

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 11:43 PM
I hear what you're saying. Still, it seems like there's always some reason that individual Broncos don't make it into the HoF - or have to wait forever. Gradishar and Mecklenberg had long careers and great stats but didn't win super bowls. Shanon Sharpe, who owned all the TE records and who won multiple super bowls had to wait a year because he wasn't really a TE - or was he? Floyd Little had to wait decades. Tombstone Jackson still isn't in the Hall.

So here we have Terrell Davis, the NFL's dominant RB for three years; the guy without whom Denver probably would not have won a super bowl to this day, MVP this and that, third highest ypc of all time (even when watered down by his post-injury efforts), and he's a "close case."

I don't know, Dude. Gradishar should certainly be in, but like you say he's a Bronco and doesn't get the recognition despite consecutive 180+ tackle seasons, and probably the last 200 tackle season. Lambert got the recognition, he was a Steeler, he got the press and he was pretty good. Gradishar should be right there with Lambert since they were neck and neck for many years.

Joe Collier should get some recogniton also. We're a small market and writers make the votes.

Pseudofool
12-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Convincing argument. I think even Bronco fans forget just how dominate Davis was during his prime, especially in the playoffs where his performance singularly outclassed his peers.

Atwater His Ass
12-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Curtis Martin. lol.

Hamrob
12-08-2012, 09:06 PM
T.D.
Gradishar
Toombstone Jackson
Atwater
Dennis Smith
Meck
Rod Smith

All guys deserving of the HOF!

Was Curtis Martin better than any of these guys? Come on man!!!

errand
12-08-2012, 10:21 PM
T.D.
Gradishar
Toombstone Jackson
Atwater
Dennis Smith
Meck
Rod Smith

All guys deserving of the HOF!

Was Curtis Martin better than any of these guys? Come on man!!!

Was Curtis Martin worse than them? He is the NFL's 4th leading rusher all time.....and deserves to be in the Hall.

Why get angry at Curtis...he doesn't have a vote. Just because several Broncos are deserving doesn't mean he isn't. As for Martin..... he averaged 4.2 per carry for 11 years in a profession where the average RB lasts 3-4....by contrast Davis averaged 4.6 over 7 seasons.

He averaged 1282 yards rushing per year for 11 years....he averaged 9 total TD's per season for 11 years. By comparison Davis averaged 1087 yards for 7 seasons with 9 total TD's

He fumbled only 29 times in those 11 seasons.....by contrast Davis fumbled 20 times in 4 fewer seasons or 99 fewer games.

He was the oldest player to win an NFL rushing title in 2004 with 1697 yards.....at 31 years old

He has 100 total TD's...something only 15 other players in NFL history have accomplished.

Contrary to popular belief, he was not selected in his first year of eligibility...he was denied the HoF induction in 2011.....just saying

not that it matters but he also has a perfect Qb rating of 158.3...having gone 2-2 for 2 TD's averaging 18 yards per completion

He started 119 consecutive games at one pointwhich means he was very durable....as a RB where the average guy is lucky to play 48-64 games in a career.

gunns
12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
It always comes down to the "longevity" thing, Rob and Old Dude. We had this argument about Curtis Martin, and he got the gold jacket because of longevity. 11 years of steady play, eight playoff TD's, 1100 playoff yards.

Terrell Davis had the better playoff statistics, 12 TD's, 1271 yds. But Denver also had John Elway and Shannon Sharpe, and so on and so on.

You could say that about a lot of the players in the HOF, look who they played with. The HOF is about individual accomplishment, or should be, and TD's are spelled out very well in that article in comparison to other RB's.

Agamemnon
12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
The greatest playoff running back of all time belongs in the Hall. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

Punisher
12-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Knowshon.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/4088055_o.gif WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Armchair Bronco
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Article here:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/cold-hard-football-facts-blog/hall-fame-running-backs-who-is-worthy-gold-jacket/19885/

Some pretty compelling arguments by the stat guys. Pass 'em around.

Great article. I concur. TD belongs in the HOF. No back was more dominant in the late 1990's than Davis.

But I predict that The Bus will probably get the nod first because of the Pittsburgh bias.

broncosteven
12-09-2012, 06:12 PM

I think longevity should play a part for guys that didn't get SB's or break off 2k or win league MVP's. If you play well for a long time and rack up stats you deserve your shot to get in. Martin played well on multiple teams.

I also think if a guy goes down because of injury the HOF voters need to look at what he accomplished in his shorter career. If you are a part of 2 historic SB teams that went back to back, broke of 2k in one year, had receiving yardage, won league MVP, SB MVP, and lead the league in rushing multiple times you should have a bust in Canton. Now if TD ended up having a bad 1999 and didn't make a squad in 2000 because of his on field play then I could see a case for keeping him out but it was a freak injury that shortend his career not poor performance.

Atwater His Ass
12-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Martin was a good player. But he wasn't one of the best of his generation and doesn't deserve to be in just because he was fortunate enough never to suffer significant injuries.

broncosteven
12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Martin was a good player. But he wasn't one of the best of his generation and doesn't deserve to be in just because he was fortunate enough never to suffer significant injuries.

I think he had a rushing title or 2 and had a bunch of 100 yard seasons, I think he did enough to plug his way into the hall. I don't think longevity should be used as an argument to keep someone like TD out. Look at Sayers, if he is in TD should be in.

Sayers had 7 seasons, his last 2 were injury riddled playing in only 4 games.

Sayers had 1 2000 yard seasons back before they moved the hash marks, his other 3 seasons he only gained 800+ yards (in a 14 game season) so if Gale can make it in winning 2 rushing titles, 0 SB's, 0 Playoff stats, 4 all pro seasons, and some great returns then TD should be a shoe in.

errand
12-09-2012, 06:53 PM

Really? considering the average RB career lasts about 48-64 games, staying relatively injury free for 11 seasons averaging over 1200 yards per season is pretty amazing...but feel free to dismiss a long succcessful career.

broncocalijohn
12-09-2012, 07:42 PM
TD averaged 2000 yards in a year if you just double his production in postseason. That is against nothing but the best teams to do that feat.

ZONA
12-09-2012, 08:29 PM
This talk of TD going to HOF will never be settled. We've had it a hundred time before. I'd love to see him get in but there are 2 things they can never take away from that stud.

http://www.broncosclub.com/photos/datamax/image47.jpg

errand
12-09-2012, 08:37 PM
There are several former Broncos who deserve consideration for the hall....problem is that those who vote on it are a bunch of self serving media pointy heads who think they're the smartest guys in the room.

They shouldn't be biased...but most of the time they are. Again though, just because another player from another team gets in and a Bronco doesn't, why hate on him? Hate on the douche bags who voted for the other guy.

Arkie
12-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Curtis Martin. lol.

It seems like he doesn't belong until you look at his stats. He has more rushing yards than most of the other modern HOF RB's on the list. It's not due to longevity because there are only 3 modern HOF RB's with fewer games than Martin. He also has more TDs than some of the backs listed that played in more games.

UberBroncoMan
12-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Steelers RB vs Broncos RB... pretty obvious who the voters will chose.

Bacchus
12-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Exactly, I am not saying Martin does not deserve to be in but if he is in Davis should be in. They were both drafted in 1995. Look at their careers up until Davis got injured and tell me who the better RB was.