PDA

View Full Version : Final 3 games

TheChamp247
12-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Over the past 10 years, the final 3 games of the Bronco's season seem to dramatically impact how their season ultimately ends. The Bronco's success or failure in these games directly impacts how they will perform in the playoffs. Here are the results of the final 3 games and the how the Bronco's seasons ended after.

2002: 2-1 (Failed to make playoffs)

2003: 2-1 (DEN beat IND in week 16 31-17. Wild-Card game IND beat DEN 41-10)

2004: 2-1 (DEN beat 33-14. IND in week 17. 7 days later IND beat DEN 49-24)

2005: 3-0 (Made it to AFC Championship game. PIT beat DEN 34-17)

2006: 2-1 (Failed to make playoffs)

2007: 1-2 (1 win was in OT against MIN)

2008: 0-3 (Failed to make playoffs)

2009: 0-3 (Failed to make playoffs)

2010: 1-2 (1 win was against HOU in 14 point comeback)

2011: 0-3 (Backed into playoffs on "Tebow Magic")

So given their recent history, I think that next Sunday's game against Baltimore is our Super Bowl. Even if you look at it that we're a different team this year and already have a playoff spot, its still hard to say that if we lose this next game that we'll be successful in the playoffs. I say if we lose to them, we get the 4th seed, win the wild card, and lose the divisional round. If we win, we need to go 3-0. I think that guarantees us the 2nd seed (depending on what happens throughout those 3 games) and will will absolutely make it to the AFC Championship game, with very good odds of going to the Super Bowl.

Thoughts?

Kaylore
12-07-2012, 03:55 PM
My thoughts are that in that span we won the AFC West once. That's really sad. That was a result of Shanahan coaching poor rosters over their heads into wild card teams. These were teams that other coaches would finish with 4-6 wins. Shanahan's game day coaching, especially early when you can win with scheming, got us to hot starts. By the end of the season all of your tricks are used up and you can't fool anyone. That's why the bruiser teams tend to do better late in the year. It is also when our crappy personnel were exposed.

This team has depth, substance and there are no gimmicks to it. We're a ballanced, solid team. We won't fade late. This is a team that is only getting better.

MagicHef
12-07-2012, 04:06 PM
You don't mention the playoff win for 2011?

spdirty
12-07-2012, 04:11 PM
It isn't necessarily our Super Bowl. I want the 2nd seed as much as anyone, but we can still make a run as a 4th seed. It isn't ideal, but the 2006 Colts were a 3 seed and had to play 3 games including going on the road to Baltimore to get a win.

I want the easiest road, but I'll be confident heading in with either the 2, 3, or 4 seed as long as no significant injuries hit.

TheChamp247
12-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Was a great win. I was actually at that game. Definitely incredible, but I count that more on luck, not team talent.

Atwater His Ass
12-07-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm pretty amped to see how this team does on the road in Baltimore. This has historically been the type of game they might as just hang it up and forfeit. But this team is solid and isn't relying on smoke and mirrors to play ball. The Baltimore game will be a great test of how far this team has come since the begininng of the season.

Mentally, heading into the playoffs, this team needs to win this game. Losing this game means we've lost to the 3 best teams in the AFC, which would have a large negative impact on the team. Getting this W, on the road, is a big hurdle that needs to be cleared.

People will disagree, but the ATL, HOU, and NE games were not as close as the end scores indicated. We got outplayed and put in our place over the course of those games. That needs to be corrected as we ramp up for the post season. As far as having the confidence needed to go into HOU or NE in a playoff game, I count the BAL game as a must win scenario. If Denver is who we think they are, they win this game, no excuses.

baja
12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
My thoughts are that in that span we won the AFC West once. That's really sad. That was a result of Shanahan coaching poor rosters over their heads into wild card teams. These were teams that other coaches would finish with 4-6 wins. Shanahan's game day coaching, especially early when you can win with scheming, got us to hot starts. By the end of the season all of your tricks are used up and you can't fool anyone. That's why the bruiser teams tend to do better late in the year. It is also when our crappy personnel were exposed.

This team has depth, substance and there are no gimmicks to it. We're a ballanced, solid team. We won't fade late. This is a team that is only getting better.

Could not agree more and that is why I don't want to play Pittsburg.

baja
12-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Over the past 10 years, the final 3 games of the Bronco's season seem to dramatically impact how their season ultimately ends. The Bronco's success or failure in these games directly impacts how they will perform in the playoffs. Here are the results of the final 3 games and the how the Bronco's seasons ended after.

2002: 2-1 (Failed to make playoffs)

2003: 2-1 (DEN beat IND in week 16 31-17. Wild-Card game IND beat DEN 41-10)

2004: 2-1 (DEN beat 33-14. IND in week 17. 7 days later IND beat DEN 49-24)

2005: 3-0 (Made it to AFC Championship game. PIT beat DEN 34-17)

2006: 2-1 (Failed to make playoffs)

2007: 1-2 (1 win was in OT against MIN)

2008: 0-3 (Failed to make playoffs)

2009: 0-3 (Failed to make playoffs)

2010: 1-2 (1 win was against HOU in 14 point comeback)

2011: 0-3 (Backed into playoffs on "Tebow Magic")

So given their recent history, I think that next Sunday's game against Baltimore is our Super Bowl. Even if you look at it that we're a different team this year and already have a playoff spot, its still hard to say that if we lose this next game that we'll be successful in the playoffs. I say if we lose to them, we get the 4th seed, win the wild card, and lose the divisional round. If we win, we need to go 3-0. I think that guarantees us the 2nd seed (depending on what happens throughout those 3 games) and will will absolutely make it to the AFC Championship game, with very good odds of going to the Super Bowl.

Thoughts?

The good news is we won't have to face Peyton F'n Manning

Bacchus
12-07-2012, 05:35 PM
None of those teams had Manning at QB. Denver not losing three in a row this year.

Kaylore
12-07-2012, 05:40 PM
None of those teams had Manning at QB. Denver not losing three in a row this year.

FWIW, since 2002 here are Fox and Manning's records in December:

Manning: 25-11

Fox: 24-18

What's interesting is in all of Fox's seasons, even his bad ones, December was always good for him. On his awful teams he always won at least one, more often two or three. Half of his losses in December were road games in over time.

As for Manning, he generally did well. The years they went 2-2 in December were often games they were resting the starters for the playoffs. In two of the years they were 2-2 in December they made it to the Super Bowl.

DENVERDUI55
12-07-2012, 07:27 PM
The turnover bug has left the team and suddenly it's been awhile since we have played a competitive game. I'm not worried about early reason struggles. Denver struggled early but had so many new players that it was going to take a few weeks to develope chemistry. Even in the 3 losses everygame could of been won with one or two plays stopped.

jerseyguy4
12-07-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty amped to see how this team does on the road in Baltimore. This has historically been the type of game they might as just hang it up and forfeit. But this team is solid and isn't relying on smoke and mirrors to play ball. The Baltimore game will be a great test of how far this team has come since the begininng of the season.

Nice fact:
I believe Peyton has won his last 8 straight games vs Baltimore, including the postseason, a streak which started 10 years ago in 2002.
Mentally, heading into the playoffs, this team needs to win this game. Losing this game means we've lost to the 3 best teams in the AFC, which would have a large negative impact on the team. Getting this W, on the road, is a big hurdle that needs to be cleared.
Agreed.
People will disagree, but the ATL, HOU, and NE games were not as close as the end scores indicated. We got outplayed and put in our place over the course of those games. That needs to be corrected as we ramp up for the post season. As far as having the confidence needed to go into HOU or NE in a playoff game, I count the BAL game as a must win scenario. If Denver is who we think they are, they win this game, no excuses.
No disagreement from me. Well said. Not that's it's a secret, but it has to be footnoted that all 3 of those games were lost in the 1st 5 of the season, the 1st 5 under a brand new offense.

You have to wonder the opposite. Had we finished the season with those 3, would we still have went 0-3? Obviously, that's the big question we all want to know

Atwater His Ass
12-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Nice fact:
You have to wonder the opposite. Had we finished the season with those 3, would we still have went 0-3? Obviously, that's the big question we all want to know

This is what I was talking about. The progression from the first SD game to now needs to be validated with a BAL win.

I'm not saying that HOU, NE, ATL, or even PIT are a better team than us. But the fact that 3 of those 4 beat us early is a mental hurdle this team needs to overcome. The BAL game sets up perfectly for that purpose. Added bonus that BAL has destroyed us in games that matter over the years.

Manning may have a good record against them, but DEN does not. I want to see this DEN team go into the road game that is normally already lost, stick it to BAL, and walk away with the confidence needed to make a SB run.

orinjkrush
12-08-2012, 07:50 PM
agree. if you can beat Ballmore in Ballmore, then you have a legit shot at the whole ball of wax.

lose, and you'e wondering if its just pretend.

baja
12-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Denver is going to distort Baltimore;

34 - 13

errand
12-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Good news - Manning is 8-2 overall vs. Ravens....winning his last 8.

Bad news - Broncos are 3-6 vs. Ravens 0-5 on road.

Bronco Bob
12-09-2012, 01:10 AM
It isn't necessarily our Super Bowl. I want the 2nd seed as much as anyone, but we can still make a run as a 4th seed. It isn't ideal, but the 2006 Colts were a 3 seed and had to play 3 games including going on the road to Baltimore to get a win.

I want the easiest road, but I'll be confident heading in with either the 2, 3, or 4 seed as long as no significant injuries hit.

Heck, the Steelers were the 6th seed in 2005 and they won the Super Bowl.

lonestar
12-09-2012, 02:46 AM

Good post.

Let me take this opportunity to say.

Mikey DAFTED all of those skells and brought in all of those loser UFAs over those years.

I have said hundreds of times had the guy actually had a real GM to pick players and DCs/coaches I do not think he could have been stopped.

BroncoBeavis
12-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Heck, the Steelers were the 6th seed in 2005 and they won the Super Bowl.

I think the Giants were a 4 last year.

Rock Chalk
12-09-2012, 08:44 AM
This sounds vaguely like a Shanny apologist.

Shanny controlled those rosters, if he was coaching bad rosters its ENTIRELY his fault and he had to be removed from that position.

Im so glad we got rid of him. Time has proven that without some really lucky breaks in the 90s and picking out a superstar at RB, Shanahan is an extremely over-rated coach.

Kaylore
12-09-2012, 10:58 AM
You're absolutely right. Mike the GM got Mike the coach fired. I think he didn't fully appreciate how good Kubiak was. That said, as a game day strategist, I think Shanahan is one of the best.

Bronco Yoda
12-09-2012, 11:17 AM
The Ravens game will really be a good barometer as to how far we've come this year and how ready the Broncos will be in the playoffs. We just haven't been able to beat them in their house. This would be a huge win.

lonestar
12-09-2012, 11:18 AM
You're absolutely right. Mike the GM got Mike the coach fired. I think he didn't fully appreciate how good Kubiak was. That said, as a game day strategist, I think Shanahan is one of the best.

I have to wonder if the game day stuff/adjustments was not Kubes also.
When we changed OCs our O seemed stagnant. Maybe it was a matter of not giving it enough time.

But I think Kubes was great and probably held the O togapether more than most want to beleive.

I know he was a huge buffer between Jake and mikey much like mikey was between John and dano..

lonestar
12-09-2012, 11:21 AM
The Ravens game will really be a good barometer as to how far we've come this year and how ready the Broncos will be in the playoffs. We just haven't been able to beat them in their house. This would be a huge win.

If flacko gets back on track and Ray is back even if he is not physically what he used to be he is the emotional leader of that team.

I beleive this game will be the truest test of the year.