PDA

View Full Version : Are "booth" reviews on TD's and Turnovers failing

Archie
12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
I started an earlier thread on what I perceived to be two blown calls last night - both on turnovers and each team benefiting from one (so perhaps it all comes out in the wash). I won't rehash those here (feel free to go to the other thread if you want to discuss the specifics). But - that was two situations in that one game and we had another that jumps out in the Panther game when Holliday tosses the ball before entering the end zone and it should have been a touchback.

In theory all scoring and turn overs are supposed to be automatically reviewed. But it seems the "dispassionate" replay official is much less invested in ensuring it was the right call then the coach of the harmed team. But is disallowed from requesting a review and if he does then by rule he can't benefit from a review.

I am beginning to think we need to put it back in the hands of the team and if they want to review something then they can choose to use their precious few reviews on a particular play.

gyldenlove
12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
There are a few problems with the current automatic review system. Firstly on many plays the team that got the play, be it a turnover or score, have little interest in a review will often try to get the next play started quickly to eliminate the possibility of a review - this is especially true on TDs. There needs to be a pause of a given period of time to allow the booth to review a play from different angles to determine if it needs to be reviewed.

Another problem, is that it appears that at least some booth reviewers are not looking at the entire play. It is all fine to verify if a player crossed the goal line, but if something else happened earlier on the play that must to be reviewed just as carefully.

Pick Six
12-07-2012, 11:28 AM
It seems like the officials do everything they can to prove the refs correct. There isn't that many instances where a call is overturned...

Kaylore
12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
I think the officials are doing a good job.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-07-2012, 12:14 PM
i dont see why the "tuck rule" would have been in play here...he was actually turned around when he fumbled and the ball went backwards...so even if he was throwing a pass, he was throwing it behind him, which would be a fumble

mnfan
12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I say Bring Back the Replacement Refs. They were just as good.

Kaylore
12-07-2012, 01:32 PM
i dont see why the "tuck rule" would have been in play here...he was actually turned around when he fumbled and the ball went backwards...so even if he was throwing a pass, he was throwing it behind him, which would be a fumble

Game OVER

enjolras
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
There are a few problems with the current automatic review system. Firstly on many plays the team that got the play, be it a turnover or score, have little interest in a review will often try to get the next play started quickly to eliminate the possibility of a review - this is especially true on TDs. There needs to be a pause of a given period of time to allow the booth to review a play from different angles to determine if it needs to be reviewed.

There is a built in pause. Turnover reviews are compulsory. The ball is not spotted and whistled into play until the head referee is buzzed and informed that the review is complete.

Another problem, is that it appears that at least some booth reviewers are not looking at the entire play. It is all fine to verify if a player crossed the goal line, but if something else happened earlier on the play that must to be reviewed just as carefully.

I agree with this. Seems like reviewers get tunnel vision sometimes. It sucks since coaches can't throw a challenge flag, and bring a specific issue about the play.

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 01:41 PM
They're mostly accurate, the review system has been tweaked and is mostly working well. It sure beats the before-review system. There's probably less than 1% of plays that get reviewed that are incorrect, and a lot of that has to do with camera angles.