PDA

View Full Version : Ground Game gets it Done.

baja
12-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy said it. Quarterback Peyton Manningsaid it. The goal for the offense at O.co Coliseum was to establish a strong rushing attack.

The practice paid off. Running back Knowshon Moreno ran the ball 32 times – a career high – for 119 yards – a game high – in the Broncos 26-13 win against the Raiders.

“I thought the running game was solid,” Manning said. “Coming off last week where it wasn’t quite as efficient, I know (Head) Coach (John) Fox challenged the offensive line, we challenged the running game and talked about how we’re going to need that down the stretch. That was really good.”

The most impressive part of Moreno’s outing was the way he finished. After three quarters, he already had 20 carries under his belt for a hard-earned 60 yards. In the fourth, he toted it 12 more times for 59 yards, nearly doubling his rushing total to help Denver drain the clock and eventually end the game from the victory formation.

“Any time you can run the ball and make them use timeouts and continue to run the clock and end the game with a kneedown – that is something we can build on,” Manning said. “That is something we haven’t been as good at the past couple of weeks, including last week. So, to do that tonight, I think we can build off that.”

The final drive was the backbreaker. The Raiders had just scored a touchdown and cut the lead to 13 points with less than six minutes remaining. If Oakland could get a stop, it could continue to swing momentum in its favor and bring the game within one possession. But Moreno and the offensive line wouldn’t let it happen.

The third-year back carried it on the first four plays of the drive and seven of the first eight, until Manning kneeled out the final three snaps. He gained three first downs on the possession as the offense marched down to the 8-yard line.

Manning said he was “really proud of that last drive,” and Fox was pleased with not only his running back, but also the offensive line that provided the push.

“I think it was good for our offensive line -- the blocking elements as well as the running backs to be able to do that to close out a game,” Fox said. ”You do what it takes to win. This is a timed game and we were trying to run some time off the clock.”

Moreno was also quick to credit the O-line.

“I was just following the offensive linemen,” Moreno said. “They were opening up some big holes out there and I was just running through them. Definitely a great a team effort today.”

The running game was stressed throughout Denver’s short week of practice. The team knew it had to be effective on the ground if it was going to win in Oakland.

It will continue to be emphasized throughout December and hopefully into January, when teams rarely win without a balanced attack.

More;

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Ground-Game-Gets-It-Done/931d761a-5ca0-4fd5-8815-2f2977ed1e32

pricejj
12-07-2012, 07:27 AM
I expect just as much, if not more emphasis, on the running game in the coming weeks. Knowshon hit his stride against the Raiders.

Of course, the Broncos will try to win the game against the Ravens by any means necessary. The Ravens D is not statistically very good this year (both against the run and pass), so theoretically, we should be able to move the ball against them.

Like Manning said, the running game performance against the Raiders is "something to build on". A big focus, in next weeks practices, will be scoring from the run and pass in the redzone.

Rohirrim
12-07-2012, 07:50 AM
I was very impressed with Knowshon. He showed the kind of lunch pail mentality that I didn't know he possessed.

jutang
12-07-2012, 07:54 AM
It has been a long time seeing Denver run down the clock with the opposing team helpless to stop it.

Beantown Bronco
12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
It really was domination from start to finish, with a mild hiccup in the 2nd quarter.

Check out these numbers:

First Downs 30 to 14
Total offensive plays 78 to 47
Rushing yards 140 to 61
TOP 37:19 to 22:41

I can't remember the last time we dominated the TOP and plays run categories in particular THAT much.

Boobs McGee
12-07-2012, 08:16 AM
It really was domination from start to finish, with a mild hiccup in the 2nd quarter.

Check out these numbers:

First Downs 30 to 14
Total offensive plays 78 to 47
Rushing yards 140 to 61
TOP 37:19 to 22:41

I can't remember the last time we dominated the TOP and plays run categories in particular THAT much.

Half of their rushing yards came from 1 play!

Great game last night.

Play2win
12-07-2012, 09:24 AM
The most surprising part of the whole thing, was when he score, he handled it like a pro. No shananigans. I was completely flabbergasted.

baja
12-07-2012, 10:40 AM
The most surprising part of the whole thing, was when he score, he handled it like a pro. No shananigans. I was completely flabbergasted.

I think some one showed him the Verizon Kiosk cell phone sales commission structure.

gyldenlove
12-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Knowshon has been humbled, no doubt about it and he has responded like a pro. It is a long way to fall from a number 12 draft pick to 8 consecutive weeks of being a game-day inactive and scout team player. He has really come back the last few weeks and shown that he can play some football and do the tough things. Getting nearly 170 yards and 1 TD in a game is a big day for anyone and he definitely earned it yesterday.

I think the play that really sealed it was in the 4th quarter, 3rd and about half a yard, Manning sells a beautiful playaction, Moreno breaks to the outside wide open, makes the catch with no effort and gets down field for a 12 yard gain. No flash, no dancing, get the ball and go, take the contact and keep the feet moving to get some extra. He may not be quite the runner that Willis Mcgahee is, but he is such a natural receiver out of the backfield.

gunns
12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Kudos to Moreno for his performance last night but I still want to say it's about ****ing time.

I give my major props to the D. I just get giddy watching them. :egbgb:

Greatspirits
12-07-2012, 11:35 AM
One thing I notice about Knowshon was in years past whenever he had a decent run he would get up all fist pumping and all, last night after a few of his good runs it looked like he was ready to do that again but instead threw the ball back to the ref and when back to the huddle. Shows he just might be gaining a little maturity.

R8R H8R
12-07-2012, 12:07 PM
One thing I notice about Knowshon was in years past whenever he had a decent run he would get up all fist pumping and all, last night after a few of his good runs it looked like he was ready to do that again but instead threw the ball back to the ref and when back to the huddle. Shows he just might be gaining a little maturity.

Agreed, but I really don't have anything to say about it. I just wanted an excuse to stare at your avvy again. ;D

lolcopter
12-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Manning effect

Greatspirits
12-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Agreed, but I really don't have anything to say about it. I just wanted an excuse to stare at your avvy again. ;D

Me too! Sometimes I just post random stuff just to see her.

Old Dude
12-07-2012, 05:45 PM

What really happened when he was on the practice squad:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tAA0yGK-W_w/TzGwcHWG2zI/AAAAAAAAA64/kUEXpphZunw/s320/Pod_People_001.jpg

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 05:52 PM

Did he actually throw the ball to the ref? I was looking to see if he did so. If he did, that would be a first, dude gives the refs no respect at all.

Greatspirits
12-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Did he actually throw the ball to the ref? I was looking to see if he did so. If he did, that would be a first, dude gives the refs no respect at all.

I think he just threw to the ground in the ref's general area, now that I think about it. But still, in years past he'd be acting like he pulled off a 80 yard run or something. It's good to see, I think he'll be a solid contributor during our playoff run.