PDA

View Full Version : AJ and Norv Out!

dictionary
12-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Crap. I was hoping that SD would keep on keeping on with them. Source was NFL Network watching TV.

dictionary
12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Slight correction, they will be fired at the end of the season. They are still gainfully employed.

Drunken.Broncoholic
Maybe they'll be on par with the rest of the west(minus broncos) and make it a revolving door

broncofever
just to help ya out, it is also on nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000106869/article/norv-turner-aj-smith-reportedly-out-for-chargers-at-seasons-end

orangeatheist
12-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Slight correction, they will be fired at the end of the season. They are still gainfully employed.

Bet the SD facilities will be missing a lot of staplers, pens and computer paper by week's end.

Taco John
12-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't understand. They're having a bad season. Doesn't that justify giving it another shot around there?

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Bet the SD facilities will be missing a lot of staplers, pens and computer paper by week's end.

I think Norv likes to use pencils. They chew up easier than a pen

NFLBRONCO
12-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Norv to CU

boltaneer
12-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Just fire them now already.

broncosteven
12-06-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't understand. They're having a bad season. Doesn't that justify giving it another shot around there?

I think Romeo should get another 5-10 years also over in kFc.

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2012, 04:15 PM
bummer... well, if McCoy goes then I'm all for hiring Norval for OC.

boltaneer
12-06-2012, 04:24 PM
bummer... well, if McCoy goes then I'm all for hiring Norval for OC.

Be careful of what you wish for...

Rother8
12-06-2012, 04:25 PM
So SD would rather sulk through the rest of the year than hire an interim that could get the players fired up and maybe even keep the coach around too.

Br0nc0Buster
12-06-2012, 04:25 PM
This reminds me of that fan video someone made where they played the dark knight rises trailer audio over a collection of Broncos/Manning clips

It shows a close up of Manning with Bane's voice saying "when Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die"

Guess it came true though

Manning joins, rest of the division burns to the ground

boltaneer
12-06-2012, 04:27 PM
So SD would rather sulk through the rest of the year than hire an interim that could get the players fired up and maybe even keep the coach around too.

That's the Spanos way...

Mogulseeker
12-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Why at the end of the season? Cut ties now, the new guy is going to rebuild anyway... you might as well take one of your young stud assistants and get him some interim HC experience.

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2012, 04:33 PM

I'm thinking (could be 100% wrong of course) that Turner and Manning could work well together? Meh, as long as McCoy is the OC it's all just champagne wishes and caviar dreams... it's good to be a Broncos fan.

Requiem
12-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Outside two good seasons, Norv turning is playing .500 ball with the Chargers. Isn't good enough to cut it! This was the first year that San Diego had a tough time getting points up on the board under his reign. They let their good guys guy go bye bye. Getting bitchslapped by Denver this year gon dun it doooby doobie dooo.

Mogulseeker
12-06-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking (could be 100% wrong of course) that Turner and Manning could work well together? Meh, as long as McCoy is the OC it's all just champagne wishes and caviar dreams... it's good to be a Broncos fan.

I think Tom Moore becomes OC next year. He said he wants to coach, and he's probably not getting any HC offers, plus he's been Manning's coach for most of Manning's adult life.

What's Norv? A former QB coach? Why not bring him in and have an actual QB coach.

Smiling Assassin27
12-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I'd like to introduce the next head coach of the San Diego Chargers...

Joshua McDaniels

HorseHead
12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Chip Kelley...

hambone13
12-06-2012, 04:47 PM
AJ has been pretty solid on his drafting no? Do we pick him up?

ColoradoDarin
12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/supernovaXserenity/GIFs/NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.gif

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I think Tom Moore becomes OC next year. He said he wants to coach, and he's probably not getting any HC offers, plus he's been Manning's coach for most of Manning's adult life.

What's Norv? A former QB coach? Why not bring him in and have an actual QB coach.

Not a big Tom Moore fan myself, but again, it's all hypothetical at this point.

broncocalijohn
12-06-2012, 05:40 PM

If you can't do better than 14-2, you get no more chances. That is the bar they set a few years back with Marty.

LOL, there window of opportunity has shut for now.

broncocalijohn
12-06-2012, 05:42 PM
I'd like to introduce the next head coach and the GM of the San Diego Chargers...

Joshua McDaniels

I added a job title for him when he comes to SD. If we are going to dream, dream big.

Tim
12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
What a surprise, both guys were gifts to have in the division for so long. I hope the new regime stays with Phillis, he's been good to have in the division lately too

rmsanger
12-06-2012, 06:28 PM
With Norv out and Gruden potentially in @ Oak, the AFCW might actually be competitive over the next 2-5 years. Our division is the laughing stock of the NFL; even the NFCW would chew ours up.

RedskinBronco
12-06-2012, 06:42 PM
****!!!!

Boltjolt
12-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Just fire them now already.

No, we want to ensure a top 5 pick :flower:

Boltjolt
12-06-2012, 07:38 PM

Oh please do. Then you can slowly say goodbye to your OL while he replenishes it with late picks and UDFA's like he has done to ours.

But hey , he also likes to take chances on guys in the draft that are hurt or even in the hospital who may never play a down for you.

Yeah he has had some good picks but also has had some WTF moments too....like Larry English. Holy hell what a waste of a first rounder.

boltaneer
12-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Oh please do. Then you can slowly say goodbye to your OL while he replenishes it with late picks and UDFA's like he has done to ours.

But hey , he also likes to take chances on guys in the draft that are hurt or even in the hospital who may never play a down for you.

Yeah he has had some good picks but also has had some WTF moments too....like Larry English. Holy hell what a waste of a first rounder.

I could go either way on AJ Smith. He's been both good and bad. I like the idea of a fresh start but I don't know if Jimmy Ray is exactly a fresh start.

But if you look at the history of the Chargers (especially under Spanos), they've historically not drafted o-linemen high. Is AJ taking heat for this because Spanos is having input on this? I don't know.

Also, Norv has historically been terrible at developing talent. I think a lot of the younger players are very talented but aren't being coached up properly.

Norv needs to go but AJ might be kind of a fall guy here. But he hitched his wagon to Norv so if you look at it like that, he's gotta go. I wouldn't be surprised to see him wind up somewhere else and build a good team though, depending on the coach he hires however.

JakeZ01
12-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Thank you for dragging down a great team norv.. They had a Super Bowl roster... Mission accomplished.

Boltjolt
12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
I could go either way on AJ Smith. He's been both good and bad. I like the idea of a fresh start but I don't know if Jimmy Ray is exactly a fresh start.

But if you look at the history of the Chargers (especially under Spanos), they've historically not drafted o-linemen high. Is AJ taking heat for this because Spanos is having input on this? I don't know.

Also, Norv has historically been terrible at developing talent. I think a lot of the younger players are very talented but aren't being coached up properly.

Norv needs to go but AJ might be kind of a fall guy here. But he hitched his wagon to Norv so if you look at it like that, he's gotta go. I wouldn't be surprised to see him wind up somewhere else and build a good team though, depending on the coach he hires however.

Um, i doubt Dean is telling anybody who to draft. Hec he cant even fire anyone properly. AJ absolutely should go down with the ship. He hired Norv..which was just a train wreck and i hated it when they announced it.

Norv when hired said this team didnt need anything and he expected great things and that turd took it down like he has every other team he has been with. I doubt Norv ever gets a HC job again after destroying the Chargers...and yes, AJ has to take blame for that.

Any GM can make good draft picks here and there especially when your picking high in the draft in every round but AJ....his trade ups for guys like Jacob Hester are huge WTF moments. And yes it was only a 7th round pick but WTH was he doing picking Demetrius Byrd when he was near death in the hospital and said to never be able to play again?

AJ said it after last season. If Norv goes, he will go too. OK, C-Ya!

gunns
12-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Hell no. If his drafting has been so solid what's with the team? It's not just the schemes. Plus the stupidity to fire a coach that just took the team to 14-2?

Bacchus
12-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Maybe the Chiefs will look at hiring them.

FearLanier
12-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Maybe the Chiefs will look at hiring them.

No.

Agamemnon
12-06-2012, 09:47 PM

Norv Turner is a very good offensive coordinator. He's kind of the offensive version of Wade Phillips honestly.

BroncoFanDoug
12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Not sure I care that much who we bring in to be assistant O-coach to PFM. However, I sure would like to figure out how to hang onto JDR for about 10 years...

bowtown
12-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Pick him up to do what exactly?

Rohirrim
12-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I think Spanos should take over the GM duties himself and save himself a few bucks. :puff:

bowtown
12-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Norv Turner is a very good offensive coordinator. He's kind of the offensive version of Wade Phillips honestly.

I think his long ball offense is tired and predictable.

Lestat
12-06-2012, 10:15 PM
i need the Chargers to keep both. this ensure Phyllis will be Phyllis and the Chargers will always choke.

Lestat
12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Hell no. If his drafting has been so solid what's with the team? It's not just the schemes. Plus the stupidity to fire a coach that just took the team to 14-2?

it's kinda as simple as that. Marty would at least have them playing well.
his issues in the playoffs notwithstanding they were a much better football team with him as HC.

Agamemnon
12-06-2012, 10:18 PM
I think his long ball offense is tired and predictable.

You think "long ball offense" sums up Norv Turner's offense? ::)

hambone13
12-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Pick him up to do what exactly?

Run the draft obviously. I was under the impression that he's pretty solid at that. I know he was considered as such for at least a period of time when they were winning a lot.

Agamemnon
12-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Run the draft obviously. I was under the impression that he's pretty solid at that. I know he was considered as such for at least a period of time when they were winning a lot.

Oh the thought of AJ Smith and Elway working together... Hilarious!

ZONA
12-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Apparently there is still hope Norv and AJ might stay. I guess nothing official about Norv and AJ being fired. Maybe Spanos might just keep them afterall.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/yes/basterds_joy.gif

R8R H8R
12-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Not sure I care that much who we bring in to be assistant O-coach to PFM. However, I sure would like to figure out how to hang onto JDR for about 10 years...

Make him the highest paid asst. coach in the league, and then give him a little more just for good faith, and then tell him we got a deal for him. If the Broncos can win back to back SB in the next 2 to 3 years, Fox will retire rich & happy, maybe Manning too, and then he can take over with the OZ Man at the helm. ;)

Traveler
12-07-2012, 01:50 AM
McCoy will be the next Bolts HC. He's earned a shot after the last two years here.

enjolras
12-07-2012, 02:02 AM

Ya it's not like he went 14-2.

boltaneer
12-07-2012, 02:52 AM

Believe me, I would LOVE to see him become OC in Denver.

hambone13
12-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Believe me, I would LOVE to see him become OC in Denver.

I don't want him to ever feel Denver turf. He doesn't have the junk to be here. He may have a great strategic mind offensively but he's just a flat out loser when it comes down to the pudd'n.

hambone13
12-08-2012, 06:50 AM

I've always found you to be a logical person despite your love of team. I'm not a draft geek but what I remember in general is that AJ's been solid in general. Every draft guru has their ****ty picks but I always thought he made pretty decent decisions from a pure talent perspective. Talent is as talent does with proper coaching. I wouldn't whine if we picked him up for that sole purpose.

J

BroncoBeavis
12-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Didn't Norf get halfass fired like this last year, then get a year end reprieve once they won some meaningless games towards the end?

BroncoBeavis
12-08-2012, 07:14 AM
McCoy will be the next Bolts HC. He's earned a shot after the last two years here.

+1. Mike McCoy has earned a shot to become the next Norv Turner. :)

Black96WS6
12-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Norv is a terrible motivator of men and clock manager (i.e., a couple of the many qualities you need in a HC), but a good OC.

The problems are the line has been neglected for so long, they can no longer provide time\protection for the QB. You have Rivers running for his life and making stupid decisions because of it.

And the Jared Gaither, Eddie Royal, and Robert Meachem experiments have all failed.

Add all that up, and there's your 4-8 Chargers!

I mean seriously, WHO ARE THESE LINEMAN they're starting????:

Chargers left tackle Michael Harris said he "definitely" expects to play against the Steelers despite not practicing this week. Jeromey Clary and Tyronne Green are both out.

Harris (ankle) was listed as questionable on the team's injury report released Friday.

"In our experience," Norv Turner said, " 'questionable' doesn’t play a lot, but we’re giving (Harris) a chance if he can get better over the next 48 hours."

Kevin Haslam replaced Clary, the right tackle, during the Bengals game. In the fourth quarter, Haslam allowed a forced/fumble sack to end Carlos Dunlap.

Friday, Haslam practiced at left tackle with Reggie Wells at right tackle.

These guys were bagging groceries at Albertson's just a few months ago ;)

Rivers is going to get killed on Sunday against the Steelers. They should seriously consider starting Whitehurst, just to keep Rivers alive...

Lev Vyvanse
12-08-2012, 07:47 AM
If you look back at his history, it's a myth that he is even a good offensive coordinator.

uplink
12-08-2012, 08:11 AM
The chargers had one of the NFLs most talented rosters for about eight years and got nothing done, that is Norv and AJs legacy in SD. Begs the question what would have happened if they had just kept Marty S. after that 14-2 season?

uplink
12-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Firing Marty after 14-2 was just wrong, things usually don't go well if you go against the rhythms of the Universe.

baja
12-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Firing Marty after 14-2 was just wrong, things usually don't go well if you go against the rhythms of the Universe.

What I find interesting is that Marty never got another job after being fired after completing a 14 & 2 season yet a guy like John Fox got hired immediately after a 1 & 15 season. Clearly the league knows things the fans are not privy to.

Rohirrim
12-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Norv is a terrible motivator of men and clock manager (i.e., a couple of the many qualities you need in a HC), but a good OC.

The problems are the line has been neglected for so long, they can no longer provide time\protection for the QB. You have Rivers running for his life and making stupid decisions because of it.

And the Jared Gaither, Eddie Royal, and Robert Meachem experiments have all failed.

Add all that up, and there's your 4-8 Chargers!

I mean seriously, WHO ARE THESE LINEMAN they're starting????:

These guys were bagging groceries at Albertson's just a few months ago ;)

Rivers is going to get killed on Sunday against the Steelers. They should seriously consider starting Whitehurst, just to keep Rivers alive...

Which also explains my belief that the Broncos number one draft choice next April should be Barrett Jones.

Tombstone RJ
12-08-2012, 12:45 PM
What I find interesting is that Marty never got another job after being fired after completing a 14 & 2 season yet a guy like John Fox got hired immediately after a 1 & 15 season. Clearly the league knows things the fans are not privy to.

Perhaps. I know Marty was kind of surrounding himself with family members and what not. That being said, it was stoooooopid for SD to fire him after a 14-2 season.

Inkana7
12-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I think Marty was rumored to be up for a few jobs after he retired, but let's also remember that the dude is ooooooold.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-08-2012, 02:45 PM
This reminds me of that fan video someone made where they played the dark knight rises trailer audio over a collection of Broncos/Manning clips

It shows a close up of Manning with Bane's voice saying "when Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die"

Guess it came true though

Manning joins, rest of the division burns to the ground

well that makes it even more worthwhile to have manning Superbowl or not, i do enjoy putting the screws to everyone else in the afc west and the nfl.
10-3 suck it biaches

baja
12-08-2012, 03:03 PM
well that makes it even more worthwhile to have manning Superbowl or not, i do enjoy putting the screws to everyone else in the afc west and the nfl.
10-3 suck it biaches

When is the last time we swept the division? We are one home game away from it this year.

FearLanier
12-08-2012, 04:18 PM

They asked Marty that in a radio interview here in KC. He was just too old and too tired to want to rebuild another team. I mean he built up Cleveland, Kansas City and San Diego into very good teams. That's a lot for a coach to do in his long career.

I think he was just burnt out and after 5 years of taking time off, he went to the Virginia Destroyers to dable with a lower league.

Now he just enjoys football from the comfort of his couch. He actually has been giving advice to Clark Hunt this year. Hopefully it's about who the next GM is.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-08-2012, 04:30 PM
When is the last time we swept the division? We are one home game away from it this year.

it was way back in 98

Rohirrim
12-08-2012, 07:01 PM

I wonder if we'll be playing any starters for that one?

CEH
12-08-2012, 07:20 PM
I wonder if we'll be playing any starters for that one?

Yes I would suspect the offense needs all the reps they can get

Bronco Yoda
12-09-2012, 12:04 PM
The Raider,Chargers & Chiefs all forced to rebuild their piles of failure.

GLORIOUS!

baja
12-09-2012, 12:53 PM

GLORIOUS!

That could translate into 5 or 6 wins a season for the next few years.

baja
12-09-2012, 12:54 PM

GLORIOUS!

That could also mean three new head coaches and GMs next season although I think the Raiders will keep Allen & their GM..

maven
12-09-2012, 01:03 PM

Carolina Panthers

Boltjolt
12-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I've always found you to be a logical person despite your love of team. I'm not a draft geek but what I remember in general is that AJ's been solid in general. Every draft guru has their ****ty picks but I always thought he made pretty decent decisions from a pure talent perspective. Talent is as talent does with proper coaching. I wouldn't whine if we picked him up for that sole purpose.

J

AJ has had his good picks but when we were picking early, it hard not to screw those up unless you are the Raiders who have been picking top 10 for 10 years and still suck. But AJ also has had his share of busts.

Larry English is a bust and a #16 pick overall. Cason has been very inconsistant and a first rounder and probably wont be back next season. He traded up to draft Hester in the 3rd when he was a rated 5th and he drafted him ahead of Charles. Drafted LB Jonas Mouton in the 2nd round when he was rated a 5th and he hasnt seen the field yet.
He has had some good picks though but he does not draft offensive lineman high and he has only picked three in the top three rounds since he has been here since 2003 and NONE in the first round.

AJ is good at signing undrafted players and finding good ones. He is not good at getting something for players who could leave the next year or tagging them in a way to get something for them like Billichick does. He relies more on getting comp picks instead.
We only got a 4th or 5th round comp pick for Michael Turner when we could of got a lot more from The Titans who were offering two high picks before the draft going into his last year here but AJ decided to keep him and he hardly played that year. He is also very stubborn and doesnt always imo do whats best for the team.
Example, made VJ sit out nearly all year, made Gates miss some games for not getting his contract signed in time, Didnt sign McNeill til mid year (he was sucking anyways but we had nobody else)...ust to name a few.

All that said, i cant see any way Elway would bring him in to do the job he himself is doing. And he is doing it well so far so i cant see AJ going to Denver at all.

Agamemnon
12-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Late season surge! Come one Norv, save your job! Bronco nation is rooting for you man! Hilarious!

Agamemnon
12-09-2012, 02:56 PM
+1. Mike McCoy has earned a shot to become the next Norv Turner. :)

Except that Norv Turner was a genuinely good coordinator...

NFLBRONCO
12-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Embree is available

brncs_fan
12-09-2012, 03:13 PM
So let me get this straight:

KC could fire their head coach and GM at the end of the season.

San Diego could fire their head coach and GM.

So...outside of Denver, Oakland is looking like a model of consistency.

Agamemnon
12-09-2012, 03:19 PM
So let me get this straight:

KC could fire their head coach and GM at the end of the season.

San Diego could fire their head coach and GM.

So...outside of Denver, Oakland is looking like a model of consistency.

How so? The Raiders fired their coach after last season, and some think they may fire Allen after this season.

brncs_fan
12-09-2012, 03:22 PM
How so? The Raiders fired their coach after last season, and some think they may fire Allen after this season.

Don't think they will. Allen will be back next season.

Heyneck
12-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Late season surge! Come one Norv, save your job! Bronco nation is rooting for you man! Hilarious!

Norv is gone... nothing changing that. But we can hope!!! lol lol

Bacchus
12-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Don't think they will. Allen will be back next season.

Davis said the Raiders are going to have to show him something. Since he said that the Raiders have gone 0-3. I think Allen is going to be one and done.

winstoncup bronco
12-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Davis said the Raiders are going to have to show him something. Since he said that the Raiders have gone 0-3. I think Allen is going to be one and done.

Would love to see it.

I never understood what Allen did to deserve a HC position, but more than that, I'm convinced the Raiders hired him away to weaken us more than anything else. I guess they figured the D would continue to grow under Allen, so they wanted to throw the staff and that side of the ball in disarray.

Luckily it has been a blessing in disguise for us.

Bacchus
12-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Would love to see it.

I never understood what Allen did to deserve a HC position, but more than that, I'm convinced the Raiders hired him away to weaken us more than anything else. I guess they figured the D would continue to grow under Allen, so they wanted to throw the staff and that side of the ball in disarray.

Yeah it is surprising Allen was hired after all Denver ranked 20th in defense last year. I wonder if they will go after Del Rio this year... that would be kinda funny.

NFLBRONCO
12-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Would love to see it.

Haven't they learned what good does firing coaches every 1 or 2 years. I agree with trying to screw us 100%. JDR would be much bigger loss vs losing Allen.

winstoncup bronco
12-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah it is surprising Allen was hired after all Denver ranked 20th in defense last year. I wonder if they will go after Del Rio this year... that would be kinda funny.

If Denver wins the Super Bowl, I would say Del Rio would accept an offer, otherwise, no. I think he's smart enough to stay away from that mess out there if we're still knocking on the door. He'd do much better adding a SB to his coaching resume, not to mention going to a better organization.

Bacchus
12-09-2012, 04:12 PM
If Denver wins the Super Bowl, I would say Del Rio would accept an offer, otherwise, no. I think he's smart enough to stay away from that mess out there if we're still knocking on the door. He'd do much better adding a SB to his coaching resume, not to mention going to a better organization.

There was an article about Del Rio's son playing high school football in Denver. If he is a Sophmore or JR I would look for Del Rio to stick around until he graduates.

Agamemnon
12-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Haven't they learned what good does firing coaches every 1 or 2 years. I agree with trying to screw us 100%. JDR would be much bigger loss vs losing Allen.

Fortunately I think JDR is smart and seasoned enough to know how stupid it would be to accept an offer from the Raiders.

boltaneer
12-09-2012, 04:57 PM
The chargers had one of the NFLs most talented rosters for about eight years and got nothing done, that is Norv and AJs legacy in SD. Begs the question what would have happened if they had just kept Marty S. after that 14-2 season?

Most likely it would have been the same outcome.

I liked Marty a lot but with his brother at DC and anyone's guess at OC, it wouldn't have happened, especially with his track record in the playoffs.

24champ
12-09-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't see the Raiders firing Allen unless they think they have a real shot to get Gruden.