PDA

View Full Version : Two Years Ago Today - The Darkest Passage In Broncos History Was Closed

Bronco Rob
12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Happy Anniversary, Josh McDaniels!

DECEMBER 5, 2012 BY MAGIC SAM

Yes, you mindless sack, it’s your anniversary. Welcome to it. We’ve got some cupcakes over there, some champagne to celebrate. You don’t get to have any, because you are a f'ing failure. A failure as a head coach, a failure as a person. You’re a f'ing doucheburger.

It was two years ago today that you were kicked to the f'ing curb. Following the trading of a franchise quarterback, a franchise receiver, a very popular and allegedly hard-working scrappy runner, you replaced all of them with players who were not better, not close to better, in fact much worse. Then, in a move that will be remembered as the final nail in your coffin, you managed to completely **** the bed by taping a 49ers practice in London, kicking off a scandal that embarrassed the team, its owner, and its fans.
Nevermind that the team was a consistent threat to win the division every year prior to your arrival. Nevermind that the worst season in the last three decades came on your watch.

John Elway had to save us yet again from a fate worse than death when he sat in the EVP chair and started making decisions — good decisions — which positively affected the franchise after essentially weathering the storm you brought down upon it.

“Sure,” you say, “but did Elway draft Tim Tebow and Knowshon Moreno and trade a first for Alphonso Smith and give up a fourth for a blocking tight end who was rated as a 7th round prospect?” No, you twat, and that’s exactly the point.

Two years ago, the healing began.

Thank you, John Elway.

In the comments: Where were you the day Kennedy was shot McDaniels was fired?

Today’s a day for much celebration, and not just for ****canning a terrible coach. No, December 5 has historical significance, for on this day in 1933, Prohibition ended.
See? Good day.

http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/12/05/happy-anniversary-josh-mcdaniels/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/88qL8eLUwic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FEH

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Yep.
(http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/12/05/happy-anniversary-josh-mcdaniels/)

Beantown Bronco
12-05-2012, 12:37 PM
[Insert obligatory pic of him smirking as he drives away in his Range Rover here]

Old Dude
12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Mmn. I think the darkest chapter was probably back in the 60s when the team was the doormat of the AFL and nearly got sold and moved.

bronco militia
12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Mmn. I think the darkest chapter was probably back in the 60s when the team was the doormat of the AFL and nearly got sold and moved.

damn, you are old....

baja
Here's to embarrassing him by kicking his game plan back to the drawing board while molesting Brady until he cries if and when we play them.

Tombstone RJ

yep, but in the recent past (last 20 years or so) this is one of the lowest points of this franchise.

Quoydogs
12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Yep.
(http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/12/05/happy-anniversary-josh-mcdaniels/)

Well we know how he fills.

TonyR
12-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Speaking of the devil...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/you-got-served-get-ready-for-the-return-of-head-coach-josh-mcdaniels

SoCalBronco
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for foisting him on us, old man. You're a real piece of work.

Rabb
12-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Speaking of the devil...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/you-got-served-get-ready-for-the-return-of-head-coach-josh-mcdaniels

/facepalm

bronco militia
12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Speaking of the devil...

Ted is getting roasted in the comments section....and rightfully so

gunns
12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I thought it was the 6th? He was fired on a Monday two years ago and that was the 6th. But no problem, it can call for a 2 day celebration.

Tombstone RJ
12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
IAOFM is basically saying McD would be a good HC if someone else got McD the players, namely Mike Lombardi. I really don't like Lombardi, from what I've seen of him on NFLN he's pretty underwhelming in his football opinions. I'm not sure if this is an accurate reflection of his ability to be a legitimate NFL GM but if I'm the Browns, there's no way I'd hire him to be the GM. Couple Lombardi as the GM with McD as the Browns new HC and the Cleveland fans would be rioting in the streets IMHO.

Kaylore
12-05-2012, 01:50 PM
It started downhill from the random firing of Mike Leach.

Bronco Rob
12-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Swim fins in a sandbox > itsalloverblogman

:thumbs:

rmsanger
12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2009/10/custom_1255352816814_josh_01.jpg

ludo21
12-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Agreed. My friends thought I was crazy when I was mad about that :giggle:

it just did not make any sense to me... just stupid. I forgave him for Cutler and BM, then he did that and I was like wha???

loborugger
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Today was also the anniversary of the repeal of prohibition. A banner day all around.

Kaylore
12-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Agreed. My friends thought I was crazy when I was mad about that :giggle:

it just did not make any sense to me... just stupid. I forgave him for Cutler and BM, then he did that and I was like wha???

I remember the thread when I went off on it. It made no sense especially since we threw out a bunch of money to get Paxton who did even less than Leach did. Oh well. At least we signed Kid Rock.

TDmvp
12-05-2012, 03:01 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/7118/mcdaniels.jpg

broncocalijohn
12-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks for foisting him on us, old man. You're a real piece of work.

Right on cue from SoCal.

Tombstone RJ
12-05-2012, 03:04 PM
I remember the thread when I went off on it. It made no sense especially since we threw out a bunch of money to get Paxton who did even less than Leach did. Oh well. At least we signed Kid Rock.

lol, and don't forget Elway also has Kid Brock too. ;)

Rabb
12-05-2012, 03:09 PM

Hilarious!

Jetmeck
12-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Here's to embarrassing him by kicking his game plan back to the drawing board while molesting Brady until he cries if and when we play them.

Lot to ask for but I am right ther wit ya...........After we mall them we nned a running play right at the idiot................

Pick Six
12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Am I the only person who actually believes that McDaniels didn't view the 49ers practice tape? I say that because we had our tails kicked. How is it possible to do that much cheating, and STILL fail?

gunns
12-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Am I the only person who actually believes that McDaniels didn't view the 49ers practice tape? I say that because we had our tails kicked. How is it possible to do that much cheating, and STILL fail?

It was Josh.

MagicHef
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Speaking of the devil...

That is an... interesting article.

According to this:

Matt Russell is the Broncos' de facto GM
We still use the scouting methods McDaniels implemented
Manning is really the only reason we've had any success
McDaniels would have been successful with more time, and it is solely Woody Paige's fault that he got fired
McDaniels has a great eye for talent, as evidenced by Brandon Lloyd

KipCorrington25
12-05-2012, 05:42 PM

I had a bad feeling about this guy the minute this happened.

It was a totally useless move and of all the problems they had the last thing the guy needed to worry about was the long snapper who never screwed up and was a quality guy. But instead he cuts him and brings in a NE guy...

At the time I was thinking, uh oh, is this moron just going to make a lot of useless changes just to prove a point? Oh course that was exactly what happen. The idiot had to show everyone he was the boss even if it meant exposing how stupid he really was.

I hate that smarmy little prick.

errand
12-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Yeah, some of these guys have no clue what misery is...until you talk to the old school guys who were there since the birth of the Broncos.

Twice the Broncos were almost sold to outside interests who would have moved the team out of Denver. Gerald Phipps saved the team both times, contrary to what The Moops would have us believe.

We beat the Raiders once between '63 and '71...talk about being made to lick a cat's ass with the Broncos getting beat by the likes of 51-0....43-7....40-7. Twice we finished 2-11-1....3-11...and 3 times we won only 4 games.

We were the only original AFL franchise that never made the playoffs before it merged with the NFL.....and the two expansion teams (Cincinnati and Miami) made the NFL playoffs in first season after the AFL-NFL merger

We were the worst original AFL team with a 39-97-4 record....and never had a winning season during our AFL years.

But one season where we had the NFL's 2nd worst record but recovered to win division title and make playoffs the very next year is considered the darkest years of our franchise.

baja
12-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Yet we never drafted as high as #2. Weird.

errand
12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Yet we never drafted as high as #2. Weird.

Yes we did...in 1961 we selected RB Bob Gaiters number one overall in AFL draft...and in 1962 we drafted DT Merlin Olsen with the 2nd overall pick in AFL draft.....

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Lol @ IAOFM. Those guys just can't get over losing McJoshie. It's almost as pathetic as their daily Tebow bashing.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2012, 06:10 PM
If any team is dumb enough to fall for the Belichick Trojan Horse trick again, it would be the factory of sadness that is the Cleveland Browns.

Bigdawg26
12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I remember his first game as our Head Coach. He wore the exact Belichick outfit but with bronco logos (cut hoody and everything)! It was so sad it was hilarious! Then Stink ripped him on Sportscenter!

TonyR
12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Swim fins in a sandbox > itsalloverblogman

Just curious who you think is doing better material on the Broncos? The Denver Post? Hilarious!

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-05-2012, 06:19 PM

Singletary always scripted his first 15 or so plays. If you watch that game you'll notice we held them in check until halftime where they adjusted, and McDamnit ate a pizza.

TonyR
12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Lol @ IAOFM. Those guys just can't get over losing McJoshie. It's almost as pathetic as their daily Tebow bashing.

Ted Bartlett is one guy, not "those guys". And if you know they bash Timmy "daily", does that mean you read their terrible stuff every day?

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Ted Bartlett is one guy, not "those guys". And if you know they bash Timmy "daily", does that mean you read their terrible stuff every day?

I do. I like to laugh daily. And they all think McJoshie wasn't given enough time.

Drunken.Broncoholic
12-05-2012, 06:26 PM
If it wasn't for McDamnit Von Miller would probably be a Buffalo Bill right now.

I give props to the creator of "joshmcdanielssucks.com". That website got me through some tough times.

TonyR
12-05-2012, 06:31 PM
If it wasn't for McDamnit Von Miller would probably be a Buffalo Bill right now.

That's the silver lining! Plus, we'd have Cutler instead of Manning.

baja
12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Yes we did...in 1961 we selected RB Bob Gaiters number one overall in AFL draft...and in 1962 we drafted DT Merlin Olsen with the 2nd overall pick in AFL draft.....

I think you know I meant the NFL draft. Von Miller is the highest drafted player Denver has had since the merger. Using the pre merger AFL draft obviously does not apply.

CEH
12-05-2012, 06:49 PM
That is an... interesting article.

According to this:

Matt Russell is the Broncos' de facto GM
We still use the scouting methods McDaniels implemented
Manning is really the only reason we've had any success
McDaniels would have been successful with more time, and it is solely Woody Paige's fault that he got fired
McDaniels has a great eye for talent, as evidenced by Brandon Lloyd

Wasn't BLloyd inactive for all of 2009
Yeah right he knew what he had in Lloyd
Not like this was rod smith on the practice squad who they promoted over miller
This was a journeyman wr who they thought so much of to deactivate for every game of 2009

Lol at iaofm

broncocalijohn
12-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Just curious who you think is doing better material on the Broncos? The Denver Post? Hilarious!

If you didn't know, That same author of the McDaniels piece sent him a note that he needs to give credit when he steals articles and posts them on the Mane.

Bronco Rob
12-05-2012, 07:15 PM

This is a goof....

Riiight?

TonyR
12-05-2012, 07:23 PM
This is a goof....

Riiight?

No, not at all. Tell us who's doing better work on the Broncos. I'd love to hear it. I mean, you posted their material here once so you must have liked it at that point. Right?

spdirty
12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I remember I was in the Bed Bath n Beyond ****ter reading ESPN on my phone and I found out. Greatest **** I ever took. :)

v2micca
12-05-2012, 07:43 PM
I have fun with IAOFM. When Ted takes a break from expounding how great his football knowledge is and how retarded the rest of the world is, he actually does some fun analysis of game film and his series on the Peyton Manning offense was an entertaining read. Doug's daily Lards tend to be a nice concise aggregate of most of the interesting news stories that day. And TJ's gut reactions tend to be fun read immediately post game.

But yeah, a couple of the admins over there do seem to have an axe to grind with Tebow and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And they all seem to worship at the alter of Bill Belicheck. I get the guy is a great coach. But the 'Patriot Way' is not the only path to success in the NFL. It feels like they forget that fact at times.

Another knock against them is they actively recommend Christmas Ape. I'll admit, I'm no fan of Peter King and actually do think he is a tool. But when you entire shtick consists of ripping off someone else's work word for word and then annotating it with snarky comments, you are dog**** in my eyes.

Bigdawg26
12-05-2012, 07:54 PM
I remember I was in the Bed Bath n Beyond ****ter reading ESPN on my phone and I found out. Greatest **** I ever took. :)

That dump you took is pretty much symbolic of McDummy's tenure and what he did to the organization!

Tombstone RJ
12-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I have fun with IAOFM. When Ted takes a break from expounding how great his football knowledge is and how retarded the rest of the world is, he actually does some fun analysis of game film and his series on the Peyton Manning offense was an entertaining read. Doug's daily Lards tend to be a nice concise aggregate of most of the interesting news stories that day. And TJ's gut reactions tend to be fun read immediately post game.

But yeah, a couple of the admins over there do seem to have an axe to grind with Tebow and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And they all seem to worship at the alter of Bill Belicheck. I get the guy is a great coach. But the 'Patriot Way' is not the only path to success in the NFL. It feels like they forget that fact at times.

Another knock against them is they actively recommend Christmas Ape. I'll admit, I'm no fan of Peter King and actually do think he is a tool. But when you entire shtick consists of ripping off someone else's work word for word and then annotating it with snarky comments, you are dog**** in my eyes.

The Patriots Way is looking more and more like a complete scam. Tell me IAOFM, what was Bill Bellicheck's HC record before one Tom Brady was dropped into is lap? LMAO at the fact that the "Patriots Way" is centered around a HoF QB and a coach who video tapes opponents pre-game walk throughs.

Old Dude
12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Today was also the anniversary of the repeal of prohibition. A banner day all around.

Damn, you are old!

chickennob2
12-05-2012, 10:09 PM
I do. I like to laugh daily. And they all think McJoshie wasn't given enough time.

Thinking that McDaniels' coaching performance would have improved if he was given more time doesn't mean that they regret firing him. The most common phrase on that site is "Thank You John Elway". They're not exactly sad about McD getting the boot.

v2micca
12-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Thinking that McDaniels' coaching performance would have improved if he was given more time doesn't mean that they regret firing him. The most common phrase on that site is "Thank You John Elway". They're not exactly sad about McD getting the boot.

The thing is, I'm not even sure if more time in the situation that the Broncos had placed him would have allowed McDaniels to improve as a coach. His first year with Denver, the Broncos actually did look like a pretty well coached team. There wasn't a great wealth of talent at skill positions and in the defensive trenches, but the coaching staff appeared to be getting the most out of what they had.

In 2010, both sides of the ball appeared to regress noticeably. Our half time adjustments no longer granted us significant advantages, and players constantly appeared unprepared. Remember all the times we had the wrong number of men on the field on defense?

So, I'm not certain what was the cause, but coaching appeared regress noticeably under McDaniels during his second year. I've heard the rumors about his management style and wonder if that contributed to the decline. I know that when Fox came in, he retained a large portion of the coaching staff and simply re-aligned some of the position coaches and saw an immediate return.

TonyR
12-06-2012, 06:14 AM

Agree with this. I like the "daily lard" and really like the postgame "gut reactions". Overall, despite their flaws and the inevitable difference of opinion people are going to have with some of their takes, they do the best regular work on the Broncos that I've found. And the stuff they don't do they link to.

TonyR
12-06-2012, 06:17 AM
The Patriots Way is looking more and more like a complete scam.

Really? I understand where you're coming from to a certain degree, but at the same time they are 9-3, have by far the best offense in the league (despite dealing with a lot of injuries at the skill positions), and are just as big a threat as anyone to go to the Super Bowl this year.

Gutless Drunk
12-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Really? I understand where you're coming from to a certain degree, but at the same time they are 9-3, have by far the best offense in the league (despite dealing with a lot of injuries at the skill positions), and are just as big a threat as anyone to go to the Super Bowl this year.

Well, yea, but the constant fluffing of it as the winniest win of ever winning is kind of annoying.

I mean "The Giants Way" and the "Steeler Way" has been more effective of late with 2 Super Bowl wins each since the "The Patriot Way" garnered one.

bronco militia
12-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Damn, you are old!

LOL

v2micca
12-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Well, yea, but the constant fluffing of it as the winniest win of ever winning is kind of annoying.

I mean "The Giants Way" and the "Steeler Way" has been more effective of late with 2 Super Bowl wins each since the "The Patriot Way" garnered one.

Yes, that Bristol Company's continued endorsement of their home team does wear on the nerves after a period of time. However, despite the obnoxious fluffers who would seek to over state their success, try not to lose site of the fact that Belichik and company have constructed a solid winning franchise That has been among the most successful teams in the past decade.

Has he had some good fortune along the way? Certainly. But all the best franchises have stumbled into a bit of providence along their own paths. Our very own Superbowl Teams were constructed from a mixture of blue chip prospects and lucky late round pick-ups.

Drek
12-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Current Denver Broncos Acquired by Josh McDaniels:
Robert Ayers
Lance Ball
Justin Bannan
Zane Beadles
David Bruton
Chris Clark
Britton Colquitt
Eric Decker
Kevin Vickerson
Knowshon Moreno
Demarius Thomas
Jason Hunter
Joe Mays
J.D. Walton

Noteworthy contributors/starters in bold.

Coaching Staff Originally Hired By McDaniels:
Mike McCoy - OC
Clancy Barone - TEs
Brian Callahan - Offensive QC
Adam Gase - QBs
Jay Rodgers - DL
Eric Studesville - RB

One 8-8 season and then one horrible season where he was quickly shown the door, leading to us selecting a defensive superstar with our first top 5 pick in ages. His QB draftee actually led this team to the division title last year including the first playoff win since 2005. One of his FA finds not listed above did well enough to net us a 5th round pick on a half season rental, which the FO has since used to draft Malik Jackson.

I don't know, if that's the definition of "darkest passage in Broncos history" maybe we should think about doing that every 10 or so years. The windfall of young talent we acquired as a result of his time here is looking pretty damn nice right about now.

Got to keep things in perspective. McDaniels failed as a HC because he failed to manage and work with people. From an institutional standpoint and talent evaluation standpoint he was at worst solid, in most cases good.

On that note, where are the four hot head coaching options from that year? McDaniels is back in New England, Spagnuolo is the DC in New Orleans and Rahim Morris is the DBs coach for Washington. Rex Ryan, the one of these four Bowlen had no interest in, is the only one still working as a HC in the NFL.

bronco militia
12-06-2012, 08:08 AM
FYI, Justin Bannan was released before last season and resigned this offseason.

also Jim Schwartz is still coaching from that new coaching class.

2 out of 11. oooof!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2009-06-29/11-new-nfl-head-coaches-means-11-different-predictions-for-09

mwill07
12-06-2012, 08:22 AM

I certainly wasn't around then; I have no recollection of what life was like as a Bronco fan at that time. That being said, it seems to me that there is a difference between supporting a team you know is bad and doesn't have any real hope vs a team you actually have expectations for.

Despite all it's warts, the team McD took over for had some real, tangible promise. Only a couple of years removed from an AFCCG, a high-powered offense, lots of nice pieces on the offensive side of the ball including a budding franchise QB and a stud WR. Despite fumbling all of that, McD started out 6-0 - we were living high, and had aspirations of post-season glory.

of course, the rug was violently torn away and we went 7-24 (.226) over the next 31 games (including the Fox/Orton era).

While there were times in the 60's when the Broncos were worse, there were no expectations. IMO, having high expectations magnifies how much the losses suck, which made the McD era especially painful.

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2012, 08:25 AM

I'm saying the "Patriot Way" does not exist without Brady. Shanny looked great with Elway and Belly looks great with Brady.

Bronco Rob
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM
No, not at all. Tell us who's doing better work on the Broncos. I'd love to hear it. I mean, you posted their material here once so you must have liked it at that point. Right?

itsalloverblogman belongs in the pantheon of rantsports - bleacher report. They get an "e" for effort...it's cute that they try but at the end of the day they're nothing more than fanboys running a blog.

;)

TonyR
12-06-2012, 11:04 AM
itsalloverblogman belongs in the pantheon of rantsports - bleacher report. They get an "e" for effort...it's cute that they try but at the end of the day they're nothing more than fanboys running a blog.

No offense, but it's clear from this response that you either don't read it or don't understand/appreciate what you do read. Or perhaps you disagree with some of their opinions or takes and let it cloud your judgment on the rest of their material. There is no comparison between itsalloverfatman and those other sources you mentioned.

I'll ask you again: who is doing better regular material on the Broncos?

TonyR
12-06-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm saying the "Patriot Way" does not exist without Brady. Shanny looked great with Elway and Belly looks great with Brady.

I agree that Brady is a huge part of the equation. But remember that they went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. That's no small feat.

Old Dude
12-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I certainly wasn't around then; I have no recollection of what life was like as a Bronco fan at that time. That being said, it seems to me that there is a difference between supporting a team you know is bad and doesn't have any real hope vs a team you actually have expectations for.

While there were times in the 60's when the Broncos were worse, there were no expectations. IMO, having high expectations magnifies how much the losses suck, which made the McD era especially painful.

One of these days, I'll put together a thread listing the various frustrations and humiliations we went through back in those days. And I only go back to about 65-66. But yeah, expectations weren't high. The team went 13 years before it had its first winning season in 73.

I remember making a bet with a high school teacher back then that Denver would win a super bowl before the year 2000. He hit the floor laughing and I got 10:1 odds on that one, but as it turned out, that was a fairly close deal.

Cito Pelon
12-06-2012, 01:15 PM
One of these days, I'll put together a thread listing the various frustrations and humiliations we went through back in those days. And I only go back to about 65-66. But yeah, expectations weren't high. The team went 13 years before it had its first winning season in 73.

I remember making a bet with a high school teacher back then that Denver would win a super bowl before the year 2000. He hit the floor laughing and I got 10:1 odds on that one, but as it turned out, that was a fairly close deal.

Fans like you kept the Broncos going those early years. Was reading Wikipedia's page on the old AFL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Football_League

Interesting stuff. The Raiders were originally supposed to be named the Oakland Senores. Ralph Wilson had to loan them $400,000 to keep operating after their first year.

The Broncos Bob Howsam was one of the first into the AFL ownership group that Lamar Hunt put together, after Hunt and Howsam couldn't buy the Chicago Cardinals from Bidwill in 1959.

Ralph Wilson, way back in 1961, had connections with the CFL, challenged their League Champion to a game with his Buffalo Bills.

Denver was by far the smallest market among the original AFL teams. Hell, Colorado had about 1.7 million people in the entire state in 1960.

broncocalijohn
12-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I wish people would stop giving McDaniels credit for Von Miller. That is like me saying I wouldn't have been born if it wasn't for Hitler. See, my Grandma's family fled Czech when Germany invaded. My Grandfather was in the Canadian army and met her in England. Therefore, I should thank Hitler for my existence!
Now I don't want to say that Hitler is comparable to Hitler or vice versa. That is foolish! I know this because Hitler would have had a better record in 2010.

Tombstone RJ
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
The thing is, I'm not even sure if more time in the situation that the Broncos had placed him would have allowed McDaniels to improve as a coach. His first year with Denver, the Broncos actually did look like a pretty well coached team. There wasn't a great wealth of talent at skill positions and in the defensive trenches, but the coaching staff appeared to be getting the most out of what they had.

In 2010, both sides of the ball appeared to regress noticeably. Our half time adjustments no longer granted us significant advantages, and players constantly appeared unprepared. Remember all the times we had the wrong number of men on the field on defense?

So, I'm not certain what was the cause, but coaching appeared regress noticeably under McDaniels during his second year. I've heard the rumors about his management style and wonder if that contributed to the decline. I know that when Fox came in, he retained a large portion of the coaching staff and simply re-aligned some of the position coaches and saw an immediate return.

Josh McDaniel's micro-managing the coaching? AKA his lousy management skills and inability to deligate responsibilities?

fdf
12-06-2012, 02:21 PM

It's hard to get lower than the Steve Tensi/Max Choboian/Jacky Lee years. We were pathetic back in the 60's.

Rabb
12-06-2012, 02:46 PM
No offense, but it's clear from this response that you either don't read it or don't understand/appreciate what you do read. Or perhaps you disagree with some of their opinions or takes and let it cloud your judgment on the rest of their material. There is no comparison between itsalloverfatman and those other sources you mentioned.

I appreciate the clear time and effort they put into it, and it's obvious some of them have solid football knowledge. I won't deny that for a second. I just think they try to be too cute, snarky and come across extremely elitist most of the time.

I couldn't say there's a better independent blogging option out there. I just don't enjoy the tone.

broncosteven
12-06-2012, 03:11 PM

I knew it was over when mCd had his dad on the sideline of his last game for moral support. Who does that?

Bronco Rob
12-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Incorrect. Was a huge proponent of their site, in fact turned most of the people at mane on to it. What they do is no more special than the others, with the lone exception being that they soley cover the Broncos. What opinions are there to disagree with? They do nothing more than regurgitate and provide links from other sites making it easier for the less skilled or lazy navigators of the web.

Hope that helps.

broncocalijohn
12-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Incorrect. Was a huge proponent of their site, in fact turned most of the people at mane on to it. What they do is no more special than the others, with the lone exception being that they soley cover the Broncos. What opinions are there to disagree with? They do nothing more than regurgitate and provide links from other sites making it easier for the less skilled or lazy navigators of the web.
Hope that helps.

Isnt that what you do for the "lazy" here.

Boogerboots
12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
In other news, Josh McD just scored number 3 in the NFL top 10 all time greatest collapse list. We got the top 10 show on NFL net north of the border. Rich Kotites Eagles are number 2.

sinuous sausage
12-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Ted is a bit of a douche. It took me a year or so of reading IAOFM to figure that out.

TonyR
12-07-2012, 06:28 AM
They do nothing more than regurgitate and provide links from other sites making it easier for the less skilled or lazy navigators of the web.

Really? They provide original material on an almost daily basis. See the analysis of last night's game, linked below, for example.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reaction-week-14-broncos-at-raiders

TonyR
12-07-2012, 06:34 AM
I just think they try to be too cute, snarky and come across extremely elitist most of the time.

I agree, they can be a bit obnoxious.

Requiem
12-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Not a huge fan of the site, but I think they try to analyze the Broncos and offer insight (just not accumulating links) on their own accord better than most. There are basically three big sites out there: MHR, BT and IAOFM. I haven't contributed to BT in a while (for a variety of reasons), but they are all doing well for themselves. I think the Broncos online community has a lot to offer for their fans.

Kaylore
12-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Not a huge fan of the site, but I think they try to analyze the Broncos and offer insight (just not accumulating links) on their own accord better than most. There are basically three big sites out there: MHR, BT and IAOFM. I haven't contributed to BT in a while (for a variety of reasons), but they are all doing well for themselves. I think the Broncos online community has a lot to offer for their fans.

Exactly. Whether you love or hate any of those sites (or this one) for a small fan base we have a surprisingly high amount of decent quality fan-driven content for people to consume. I've been out there schlepping as a fan that provides content. It isn't easy and to do it daily takes more than people think. If you don't like it, fine, but at least you have options. Not a lot of other teams have that option.

Bronco Rob
12-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Sayōnara!

Guess Who
12-05-2013, 01:12 AM
Broncos fire Josh McDaniels

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 6, 2010, 6:22 PM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/j-mcdanielssign.jpg?w=250
Josh McDaniels won’t even finish his second season as Broncos head coach.
In a short announcement sent over Twitter (http://twitter.com/Denver_Broncos/statuses/11921015508574208), the team announced that “Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen has relieved Josh McDaniels (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40538777/) of his head coaching duties.”

McDaniels’ team was 3-9 on the season and 5-17 since they jumped out to a fast start to open the 2009 campaign. The timing of the move is a surprise because McDaniels met with the media Monday and players were in house as normal.

Bowlen’s ultimate decision won’t shock anyone, though. McDaniels was slowly getting buried in an avalanche of distractions, bad personnel decisions, and tough losses (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/05/chiefs-hold-on-for-key-division-win-over-broncos/).

Once viewed as one of the most stable, well-run organizations in football, the Broncos now look like a mess. We’re only a week removed from Bowlen saying that McDaniels was safe, then backtracking hours later (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/30/broncos-issue-statement-contradicting-bowlens-comments-on-mcdaniels-future/). There are serious questions about whether the right infrastructure is in place with the team and who is making the decisions.

The Broncos exonerated McDaniels after the “Spygate II” affair erupted, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter indicates the scandal played a role in McDaniels’ departure.

Complete Article: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/06/broncos-fire-josh-mcdaniels/

Guess Who
12-05-2013, 01:15 AM
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Dallas+Cowboys+v+Denver+Broncos+GPOamA9-Xa5l.jpg

Josh McBilicheat

Guess Who
12-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Sayōnara!

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=125&dateline=1383773797

Please Rob, take it down. My avatar is less disturbing then yours!!!

BowlenBall
12-05-2013, 01:47 AM
The Alphonso Smith pick that McDaniels traded away ended up being #14 overall in the 2010 draft.

With that pick, Seattle selected S Earl Thomas.

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/kidcoach_22.gif

gyldenlove
12-05-2013, 02:06 AM
The Alphonso Smith pick that McDaniels traded away ended up being #14 overall in the 2010 draft.

It could be worse, he could have coached the team to the worst finish in team history......

Blueflame
12-05-2013, 02:30 AM

---- lengthy string of curse words ----

McDammit.

Miss I.
12-05-2013, 04:50 AM
I wonder if Beelzicheat is grooming him to take over as HC of the Pats when he eventually has to return to Hades?

BowlenBall
12-05-2013, 04:58 AM
More nostalgia -- remember that revolutionary "amoeba offense" that he was going to install with the Broncos?

Points scored per game during the McDaniels "error":

Fired

Average points per game under McDaniels: 20
Broncos 2013 average points per game: 39

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-05-2013, 05:20 AM

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure you can claim that you turned "most people" on to the site. But moving past that...

The daily link dump is not great writing, but they do find everything there is to find from a variety of sources, and do a pretty good job of breaking down what's in each link. If that was all they did, you might be on to something, but it's not.

Ted does a marvelous job at breaking down specifics in the passing game and defense, and Doc Bear has had some REALLY excellent work on a variety of subjects, none of which were just "The Lard" link dump.

spdirty
12-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Today should be a Denver holiday. I just want to say it again for old time's sakes.

FIRE MCDANIELS!!!!!!!!!

ColoradoDarin
12-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Average points per game under McDaniels: 20
Broncos 2013 average points per game: 39

Having Peyton in 2009/10 and Tebow/Orton in 2013 would make a big difference in those numbers.

LonghornBronco
12-05-2013, 06:31 AM
+1

A day that will live in infamy!

Bronco X
12-05-2013, 06:36 AM
It's truly remarkable how quickly Elway righted the ship... at the time most people would have thought the franchise would still be licking its wounds from this debacle for years.

Kaylore
12-05-2013, 07:34 AM
It's truly remarkable how quickly Elway righted the ship... at the time most people would have thought the franchise would still be licking its wounds from this debacle for years.

He won the division and a playoff game with Tim Tebow at QB. We're probably looking at three division titles. That would tie the number Shanahan won in 13 years as our head coach. The most won by any Bronco head coach is Dan Reeves with 5, which is more than half that in just three years. It will also be our first three-peat in history. Hope I didn't just put the whammy on us! Ha!

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2013, 07:44 AM
+1

A day that will live in infamy!

That word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

CHEF LUIGI
12-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Mmn. I think the darkest chapter was probably back in the 60s when the team was the doormat of the AFL and nearly got sold and moved.no, because bacvk thern we had nothing and very low expectations. JMCD destroyed something that was glorious.
we went from the penthouse to the outhouse when that POS outsider/ BB secret agent arived and in just 2 seasons turned oue beloved team in to a laughing stock.
only the leadership and wisardry of JFE could lift us from the crATER LEFT BY THE jmcd METEOR.
I will always despise that punk! happy anniversary !

CHEF LUIGI
12-05-2013, 07:50 AM
It's truly remarkable how quickly Elway righted the ship... at the time most people would have thought the franchise would still be licking its wounds from this debacle for years.exactly, I thought it would take 5 years to dig out from the JMCD rubble.

BowlenBall
12-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Having Peyton in 2009/10 and Tebow/Orton in 2013 would make a big difference in those numbers.

McDaniels signed Orton and drafted Tebow in the 1st ****ing round.

You're just reinforcing my whole point!

ColoradoDarin
12-05-2013, 08:00 AM
McDaniels signed Orton and drafted Tebow in the 1st ****ing round.

You're just reinforcing my whole point!

I wasn't disagreeing, just merely saying it in a different way :)

BTW, he traded for Orton (part of the Cutler deal) not signed (nit picking I know).

Kaylore
12-05-2013, 08:19 AM
McDaniels didn't sign Orton, he traded for him. And his draft picks weren't bad. Beadles, Decker, DT, JD Walton, Robert Ayers, David Bruton; These are all McDaniels draft picks. All have started and some have been team captains.

What made McDaniels terrible (as a GM) were his trades. Whether trading up for a pick, or trading a player for another, he came out incredibly screwed. Trading up for Tebow. Trading up for McBath. Trading for Laurence Maroney when EVERYONE knew he was going to be cut. In Alphonso Smith's case it was both. Trading a first rounder next year for him, and then trading him to the Lions for a crappy Gronk.

McDaniels was the complete opposite of Shanahan when it came to trades. He was the one getting bent over.

BowlenBall
12-05-2013, 08:25 AM
McDaniels didn't sign Orton, he traded for him. And his draft picks weren't bad. Beadles, Decker, DT, JD Walton, Robert Ayers, David Bruton; These are all McDaniels draft picks. All have started and some have been team captains.

What made McDaniels terrible (as a GM) were his trades. Whether trading up for a pick, or trading a player for another, he came out incredibly screwed. Trading up for Tebow. Trading up for McBath. Trading for Laurence Maroney when EVERYONE knew he was going to be cut. In Alphonso Smith's case it was both. Trading a first rounder next year for him, and then trading him to the Lions for a crappy Gronk.

McDaniels was the complete opposite of Shanahan when it came to trades. He was the one getting bent over.

2009 NFL Draft:
(2) 39: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
(2) 48: Darcel McBath, S, Texas Tech
(2) 64: Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina

By way of comparison....

(2) 42: Jarius Byrd, S, Oregon
(2) 53: LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
(3) 84: Mike Wallace, WR, Mississippi

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPTgNuxxTBUwPP_WrtJLhDYjJSx3502 jpiT0R0RM0nPLtc71kR

Rabb
12-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Yep. My God just seeing his face sends me into rage.

Kaylore
12-05-2013, 08:34 AM
2009 NFL Draft:
(2) 39: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
(2) 48: Darcel McBath, S, Texas Tech
(2) 64: Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina

By way of comparison....

(2) 42: Jarius Byrd, S, Oregon
(2) 53: LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
(3) 84: Mike Wallace, WR, Mississippi

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPTgNuxxTBUwPP_WrtJLhDYjJSx3502 jpiT0R0RM0nPLtc71kR

Like I said, those were all the ones he traded up for. When he didn't reach for someone he did much better. No one hits on every draft pick.

BowlenBall
12-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Like I said, those were all the ones he traded up for. When he didn't reach for someone he did much better. No one hits on every draft pick.

You're right -- but my point is that, objectively speaking, that might be the worst 2nd round in NFL history.

TD4HOF
12-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I could've gone through an entire day without this reminder just fine.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
People use Ayers as a plus for McDaniels, I haven't seen much production that would equal a 1st round. He missed way more than he hit on picks. Not many 1st rounders leave the league due to suck in just a few years.

Kaylore
12-05-2013, 08:58 AM
You're right -- but my point is that, objectively speaking, that might be the worst 2nd round in NFL history.

I actually am more angry about the wasted first round selections. Tebow, Alphonso Smith, Ayers. Thank goodness Knowshon and Demaryius developed and finally put it all together or it would be a colossal bucket of epic fail.

broncosteven
12-05-2013, 02:54 PM
I actually am more angry about the wasted first round selections. Tebow, Alphonso Smith, Ayers. Thank goodness Knowshon and Demaryius developed and finally put it all together or it would be a colossal bucket of epic fail.

I am just glad Ayers is on the team.

LOL

Ayers is Ok, not if you look at him from a #1 pick level but he does set the edge well and is a force in the run game. Haven't seen as much from him this year, thought he would see more time with Elvis gone.

So glad mCd is gone and that was a painful 18 months.

Punisher
12-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Best HC ever

pricejj
12-05-2013, 06:56 PM
**** McDaniels.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2013, 07:45 PM
He just needed more time.

Lolfatman.Com

broncosteven
12-05-2013, 07:49 PM
He just needed more time.

Lolfatman.Com

I still think it was nice of mCd to call the franchises that were looking to fill HC jobs and tell them he was not interested in taking any HC offers this year, just think of all the time he saved them! I bet he thinks they will remember how he saved them all from having to come up with a pitch and figure out a contract offer and they will be waiting for him to call them when he is ready to take on a HC job again!

What a colossal DOUCHE BAG!

KipCorrington25
12-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Whatever happened to Ben McDaniels is he back doing lunch room duty and OC at a HS in Ohio?

What kind of arrogant prick hires his brother out of high school to coach in the NFL?

bronco militia
12-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Whatever happened to Ben McDaniels is he back doing lunch room duty and OC at a HS in Ohio?

What kind of arrogant prick hires his brother out of high school to coach in the NFL?

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Pat-Bowlen.jpg

broncocalijohn
12-05-2013, 08:30 PM

Is Ted Bartlett from IAOFM our Action or I Bleed Orange and Blue?

I like the comment of the great draft strategy of McDaniels taken from the Pats. You mean Belicheat only puts 100 names on the board when the NFL is drafting 224 minimum?

If you want a good timeline, check out this website...

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/

alkemical
12-05-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Pat-Bowlen.jpg

Drugs.

Agamemnon
12-05-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm not a McD fan by any means, but the dude did draft a lot of key contributors on our team and git rid of Cutler, so I can't really agree with the title of this thread. It was a brief period of suck that led directly to much better things.

BowlenBall
12-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Drugs.

Hunter S. Bowlen

http://www.changingworld.com/catalog/images/5-HU.jpg

OBF1
12-06-2013, 12:08 AM
It appears that I am the only one that is way past McDaniels and do not take the time from my day to go over what he did or did not do.

BowlenBall
12-06-2013, 01:08 AM
It appears that I am the only one that is way past McDaniels and do not take the time from my day to go over what he did or did not do.

http://images.wikia.com/havenandhearth/images/f/f1/9-11-NEVER-FORGET.jpg

broncocalijohn
12-06-2013, 01:35 PM

We can never forget Civil War, WW2, 9/11 and of course McDaniels era. You are to repeat what you forget. We shall never repeat and forget that black mark in Broncos timeline.

bronco militia
12-06-2013, 01:42 PM
:welcome: