PDA

View Full Version : Props to the NFL. They are handling this so well.

FearLanier
12-04-2012, 09:21 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/4/3729362/jovan-belcher-daughter-nfl-benefits

NFL will provide benefits to Jovan Belcher's daughter

The daughter of former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, who committed suicide on Dec. 1 after murdering his girlfriend, will be financially supported by the NFL.

Three-month-old Zoey is the daughter of Belcher and Kasandra Perkins, whom Belcher shot early on Saturday before killing himself at the Chiefs' practice facility. She was at home when Belcher killed Perkins, then bent over her body to apologize and kiss her on the forehead. After that, Belcher kissed Zoey as well before fleeing the house.

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, as part of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, Zoey's guardian or her estate will receive $9,000 per month over the next four years, which amounts to $109,000 per year. In the fifth year, she'll receive $48,000. From then on, she'll be given $52,000 per year each year until she turns 18 or 23, depending on whether or not she goes to college.

According to multiple media sources, the relationship between Belcher and Perkins had been strained, with constant arguments over things like money. The Chiefs were reportedly providing counseling for Belcher.

Zoey is currently in the custody of her grandmother, Belcher's mother.

Ratboy
12-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I hope her guardian does not take advantage of this.

Mogulseeker
12-04-2012, 09:25 PM
"as part of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement"

The NFL is required to do it. You could look at it this way: the NFL is doing the minimum they can get away with. I'm sure she'll be taken care of, but I don't think the NFL is particularly saintly in all this.

jerseyguy4
12-04-2012, 09:43 PM

The NFL is required to do it. You could look at it this way: the NFL is doing the minimum they can get away with. I'm sure she'll be taken care of, but I don't think the NFL is particularly saintly in all this.
While required, they all wrote and agreed to the CBA. It is their own law, not the government's.

I congratulate the guys who actively wrote the CBA and had enough foresite to include a measure to provide this.

chadta
12-05-2012, 03:41 AM
While required, they all wrote and agreed to the CBA. It is their own law, not the government's.

I congratulate the guys who actively wrote the CBA and had enough foresite to include a measure to provide this.

Damn those unions always looking out for themselves.

I certainly hope this wasn't part of the reason that it happened, we always hear stories of people killing for insurance money, I hope this isn't it, but when the story says how the couple fought over money its not encouraging.

extralife
12-05-2012, 03:53 AM
yes, he killed her and then himself so that the daughter could get the pension money wait what my brain just exploded from how dumb you are

DenverBound
12-05-2012, 05:02 AM

I certainly hope this wasn't part of the reason that it happened, we always hear stories of people killing for insurance money, I hope this isn't it, but when the story says how the couple fought over money its not encouraging.

Biggest reach ever attempted on the interwebz. Congratulations.

And just for good measure...

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

g6matty
12-05-2012, 05:25 AM

you sound like lonestar

Kaylore
12-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Way to douche up the the thread, smurf and Chadta.

DenverBroncosJM
12-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Ill go out on a limb and say its one of the best employer paid death benefit packages around. That payment is on top of life insurance. I can only assume from the tone of your post your company provides something much better?

DivineLegion
12-05-2012, 08:59 AM
So should we change the thread title to "NFLPAs foresight unparalleled?"

bronco_diesel
12-05-2012, 09:25 AM

This happens pretty much any thread around here anymore...

55CrushEm
12-05-2012, 10:02 AM

LOL

Lestat
12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
it's part of the CBA. one of the things that was a focal point in negotiations was supporting former players so the NFLPA did their job.

i hope that the child has more than just the grandmother to support her in terms of care.
God forbid something should happen to the grandmother and then someone tries to take advantage of the semi pension the child would receive.

Pick Six
12-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Smurf is right. Some people are acting like the NFL suddenly found a proverbial heart...ROFL!

chadta
12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Biggest reach ever attempted on the interwebz. Congratulations.

What part of I certainly hope, made it sound like a factual statement, or even a guess as to why it happened.

Talk about reaching

Smurf is right. Some people are acting like the NFL suddenly found a proverbial heart...ROFL!

Yes smurf is, but dont say that or youll be accused of douching up a thread, and what ever you do, dont post a worst case scenario or youll get a negative rep from some overly sensitive clown that cant differentiate between fact and what it.

Tombstone RJ
12-05-2012, 03:10 PM
it's part of the CBA. one of the things that was a focal point in negotiations was supporting former players so the NFLPA did their job.

i hope that the child has more than just the grandmother to support her in terms of care. God forbid something should happen to the grandmother and then someone tries to take advantage of the semi pension the child would receive.

I'm guessing the NFL has the money in a trust and the trust has to approve all expenditures, that is, even grandma can't spend the money just to spend it. So I'm thinking a third party manages the money so there's no abuse.

Kaylore
12-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Oh it's so hilarious! Both this girl's parents were killed and the owners agreed that in circumstances like this one to take care of her financially! So funny! Can't stop laughing!

BroncsCheer
12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
It seems like a pretty good deal to me.
the administration of the $$ will be very important, but she has a hell of a chance

Mogulseeker
12-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Ill go out on a limb and say its one of the best employer paid death benefit packages around. That payment is on top of life insurance. I can only assume from the tone of your post your company provides something much better?

Yeah, I agree. Just saying they're doing what they're required to do.

Mogulseeker
12-05-2012, 06:43 PM
I mean just because not fulfilling their obligation under the CBA would be a dick move, does not mean that fulfilling the CBA obligation is a noble act. I do suppose the NFL deserves some credit for not trying to legally skim their obligations.

Fulfilling a contact is expected... that's why we had to pay Shanahan even after we fired him. It wasn't because Bowlen just loved Shanahan so much that he wanted to give him $14million.

I just don't see how fulfilling a legally-binding contract makes someone or some entity entitled to praise.

RedskinBronco
12-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I hope her guardian does not take advantage of this.

My initial thought as well.

Most likely there will be fighting between the families for custody and it gets dicey when there is $$ like this involved.

errand
12-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I agree. Just saying they're doing what they're required to do.

and what's wrong with that?

You know this kid will be getting more $$$ a year than most people who work for a living earn.

If you murdered your girlfriend and then killed yourself, how is it your employer's responsibility to fund the care of your child? Maybe instead of buying a sports car or big house or spending money on another woman he should I dunno, buy life insurance to take care of the child he created.

But the NFL and NFLPA got together (the NFL had to agree to it too, you know) and decided to include a death benefit for surviving family members....but keep trying to play the greedy owners card.

errand
12-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I just don't see how fulfilling a legally-binding contract makes someone or some entity entitled to praise.

So honoring a contract doesn't mean the NFL is operating in good faith to you? you do realize the NFL had to agree to this provision in the CBA right? They did so willingly, and for all any of us know it was the NFL's idea to put it in.

Why are you just assuming the NFLPA is the one who put this provision in with no approval or input from the NFL? and for all you or anyone else knows, the provision might have said that the benefits are voided if the player commits suicide or dies in the commission of a crime and the NFL waived them.

Mogulseeker
12-05-2012, 08:22 PM
So honoring a contract doesn't mean the NFL is operating in good faith to you? you do realize the NFL had to agree to this provision in the CBA right? They did so willingly, and for all any of us know it was the NFL's idea to put it in.

Why are you just assuming the NFLPA is the one who put this provision in with no approval or input from the NFL? and for all you or anyone else knows, the provision might have said that the benefits are voided if the player commits suicide or dies in the commission of a crime and the NFL waived them.

Where did I say that?

Beantown Bronco
12-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Smurf,

How do we know that they're not giving MORE than they're required under the CBA?