PDA

View Full Version : Von named AFC Defensive Player of the Month

crowebomber
11-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Broncos linebacker Von Miller has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month after leading the AFC with eight sacks and 10 tackles for a loss in November: http://dbron.co/1az.

baja
11-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Great news

Is this his first month award?

How many weakly awards does he have?

Duh weekly

Marshall Dumervil
11-29-2012, 09:05 AM

NONE!!

bronco militia
11-29-2012, 09:09 AM
:charge:

cutthemdown
11-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Broncos were fortunate to pick high in a yr the draft was loaded with talent. Miller the biggest difference maker we have had on defense since mecklenburgh.

Irish Stout
11-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Great news

Is this his first month award?

Von only has studly awards.

Kaylore
11-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Suck that, Peter King.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Broncos were fortunate to pick high in a yr the draft was loaded with talent. Miller the biggest difference maker we have had on defense since mecklenburgh.

really?

Kaylore
11-29-2012, 09:25 AM
really?

Yeah I don't agree with that. Trevor Pryce, Neil Smith, Steve Atwater, Al Wilson and even Romo were pretty effective. I would argue Champ his first three years here was absolutely amazing too.

baja
11-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Von only has studly awards.

LOL Opps!

Broncos_OTM
11-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Mecks my all time favorite. Kinda chuck norris esq

SleepingTiger
11-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah I don't agree with that. Trevor Pryce, Neil Smith, Steve Atwater, Al Wilson and even Romo were pretty effective. I would argue Champ his first three years here was absolutely amazing too.

Agreed. However, Neil Smith was a rental player for 2 years.

I think the most important player on defensive player before Von was Champ. The guy did everything. Before Champ was Al Wilson

broncosteven
11-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Glad to see Von get this! He is deserving of the DPOY but will likely get jobbed because of lazy east coast writers will go for the popular JJ Watt and his batting of balls over the Force Fumbles Miller causes.

Keep it up Von!

Pendejo
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Champ was flat out dominant his first few years with the Donks. Now he is merely excellent.

broncosteven
11-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Champ was flat out dominant his first few years with the Donks. Now he is merely excellent.

2005 was amazing. Without Champ's INT return in the SD game, I doubt we turn the season around, no way we beat the Pat's in the playoffs without his 99 yard INT.

baja
11-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Has JJ Watt won DPOM this season?

TheReverend
11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Huzzah!

TheReverend
11-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Sep-Watt
Oct-Wake
Nov-Miller

Bets on who'll win December?

2KBack
11-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Sep-Watt
Oct-Wake
Nov-Miller

Bets on who'll win December?

Tough one, Neither Watt or Miller exactl face a murderers Row of offenses. Houston has NE, that's it

baja
11-29-2012, 03:29 PM
If either Watt or Miller take December the winner should get DPOY

baja
11-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Von has 1 DPOW in the game against SD. Don't know if JJ has any?

Atwater His Ass
11-29-2012, 03:31 PM
It's going to be a real though call between Watt and Miller for DPOY in my opinion. Both are absolutely dominating. It's just great watching both of them play.

baja
11-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Would not surprise me if they share the award. Seems fitting.

HILife
11-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Good stuff. Von is a beast.

Rabb
11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
BZ young man!

DENVERDUI55
11-29-2012, 04:16 PM

Should of drafted Peterson.

ZONA
11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I love Von and I'm hoping one day soon we'll have a defensive lineman that was as dominant as Trevor Pryce was. That guy had to be doubled teamed almost always. Make it happen Elway. I know you tried with Wolf and it's only his rookie season but he's got a long way to go before he looks anything remotely like Pryce did.

broncosteven
11-29-2012, 04:30 PM
I love Von and I'm hoping one day soon we'll have a defensive lineman that was as dominant as Trevor Pryce was. That guy had to be doubled teamed almost always. Make it happen Elway. I know you tried with Wolf and it's only his rookie season but he's got a long way to go before he looks anything remotely like Pryce did.

I am happy with Doom as a pass rusher. He has 8 sacks this year, not sure the last time we had 2 guys with double digit sack numbers but it could happen this year.

Pryce was a better all round player when his head and heart were in the game.

Al Wilson
11-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Von 'the Don' Miller owning these bitches

cutthemdown
11-29-2012, 04:58 PM

I haven't been following peterson to close but Aj Green, Julio Jones, JJ Watt Aldon Smith, just lots of good players in the top 10.

baja
11-29-2012, 05:00 PM

Pryce didn't even play his first year. Many here thought he was a bust or maybe that was on the DPO.

2KBack
11-29-2012, 05:58 PM

That same Pryce was benched his rookie year...so he had a long way to go to look like himself.

That One Guy
11-29-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure how Pryce can be considered one of the best when the beginning and end of his time as a Bronco had him being scoffed at. I may have been on the official forums in those days, I don't really remember, but I recall there being a bit of surprise when he played well for Balt and everyone attributed his resurgence to the Balt defense.

As for DPOY, I think a sack is the equivalent of like 5 tackles for loss or a couple forced fumbles. I think if he doesn't get caught up to Aldon Smith's sack numbers, he won't even be in the conversation.

errand
11-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Word on the street is that Peterson has not faced any WR from SF to showcase his awesome talent.

Broncoman13
11-29-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure how Pryce can be considered one of the best when the beginning and end of his time as a Bronco had him being scoffed at. I may have been on the official forums in those days, I don't really remember, but I recall there being a bit of surprise when he played well for Balt and everyone attributed his resurgence to the Balt defense.

As for DPOY, I think a sack is the equivalent of like 5 tackles for loss or a couple forced fumbles. I think if he doesn't get caught up to Aldon Smith's sack numbers, he won't even be in the conversation.

Forced fumbles are a lot more important than you are giving credit. In fact, I would say forced fumbles are more important than a sack. Forced fumbles, third down sacks, sacks, TFLs would be my order.

BroncoMan4ever
11-29-2012, 11:36 PM
It's going to be a real though call between Watt and Miller for DPOY in my opinion. Both are absolutely dominating. It's just great watching both of them play.

I say the battle for DPOY is between Watt and Von, but if Aldon with his cream puff schedule breaks the single season sack record I think he takes it from Watt or Von, even though both guys are having far more impactful seasons with nore than just sacks. Not trying to sound like a homer but Von doesn't have nearly the amount of talent around him in the front 7 that Watt and especially Aldon has. Credit should be given for that.

BroncoFox
11-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Love Von! He is sooo good. I just hope we pay him oodles of money.. I want him around for awhile. I think he is my next jersey. =)

Bacchus
11-30-2012, 05:44 AM

I think Miller will pull away in December. Denver will get out to leads and Miller will be turned loose and rack up his sack totals. Houston might have everything wrapped up the final two weeks of the season.

DENVERDUI55
11-30-2012, 06:03 AM

Pryce was awful as a rookie.

That One Guy
11-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Forced fumbles are a lot more important than you are giving credit. In fact, I would say forced fumbles are more important than a sack. Forced fumbles, third down sacks, sacks, TFLs would be my order.

I should've clarified that to say sacks are perceived to be worth less. I can absolutely see the argument that a TFL or FF is worth as much/more than a sack.

I just looked it up, though, and Jason Taylor only had 13 1/2 sacks in his DPOY season but had 10 FF. It could be a comparable situation - moreso than I thought.

I still just don't understand how Champ didn't get it that year.

DENVERDUI55
11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
I should've clarified that to say sacks are perceived to be worth less. I can absolutely see the argument that a TFL or FF is worth as much/more than a sack.

I just looked it up, though, and Jason Taylor only had 13 1/2 sacks in his DPOY season but had 10 FF. It could be a comparable situation - moreso than I thought.

I still just don't understand how Champ didn't get it that year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you force a fumble on a passing qb it counts as a sack right?

TheReverend
11-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you force a fumble on a passing qb it counts as a sack right?

Yes. Strip sack.

Kaylore
11-30-2012, 09:13 AM
So do we rename Von Nightwing since he's obviously evolved beyond Robin and even Batman at this point?

Smiling Assassin27
11-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Broncos linebacker Von Miller has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month after leading the AFC with eight sacks and 10 tackles for a loss in November: http://dbron.co/1az.

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj399/LoveOfSatellite/RickFlairWoo.gif

Bronco Yoda
11-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Von!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atwater His Ass
11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Pryce was awful as a rookie.

And then he turned into one of the best defensive lineman in the league.

TomServo
12-01-2012, 02:17 AM
never Ever draft a RB in the first two rounds unless its Earl Campbell. like a dumbax i ignored my own rules was on board the KM bus. if reverse einstien Mcd had drafted some big Defensive help.. who knows what might have been.
Peterson is one of the best Rb's in the game and how many winning seasons have the vikings had with him on the roster?

misturanderson
12-01-2012, 04:53 AM
never Ever draft a RB in the first two rounds unless its Earl Campbell. like a dumbax i ignored my own rules was on board the KM bus. if reverse einstien Mcd had drafted some big Defensive help.. who knows what might have been.
Peterson is one of the best Rb's in the game and how many winning seasons have the vikings had with him on the roster?

He was talking about Patrick Peterson over Von.

Jesterhole
12-01-2012, 05:39 AM
Von is a special player, better at his position than either Pryce or Wilson. And as a linebacker, he can touch every play, instead of being planned around like Champ.

Right now, he's basically the second coming of LT, both in terms of disruptiveness and athletic freakishness. Once we get a couple of run-stuffing DT's, we'll have an amazing defense.

DENVERDUI55
12-01-2012, 05:50 AM

I was joking about Patrick Peterson. I agree about first rd rb but AP is worthy of first rd pick. There is no comparing Slowshon to AP.

Bronco Yoda
12-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Von is the type of player you build your whole D around IMO.

That One Guy
12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Von is the type of player you build your whole D around IMO.

Everytime I think how great he is for us, though, I wonder how many records he'd break in a 3-4. I kinda wonder whether getting a 3-4 team to sell the farm for him (Hershel Walker style) would be better in the long run. Get a true stud DE or two and we could maybe get away from the gimmick that is the SLB being our stud pass rusher.

Then I think about not having Miller on this team and I'm sad. I don't know which way to go.

DivineLegion
12-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Everytime I think how great he is for us, though, I wonder how many records he'd break in a 3-4. I kinda wonder whether getting a 3-4 team to sell the farm for him (Hershel Walker style) would be better in the long run. Get a true stud DE or two and we could maybe get away from the gimmick that is the SLB being our stud pass rusher.

Then I think about not having Miller on this team and I'm sad. I don't know which way to go.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/fat-camp-the-multiplicity-of-the-broncos-defense

That One Guy
12-01-2012, 09:49 PM
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/fat-camp-the-multiplicity-of-the-broncos-defense

Ya know, I like watching football with my wife and kid because they both think I really know my stuff. Then I come on here and it feels like I could barely pick out the football team from a cotton candy vendor.

So much more to the game than a guy like myself notices...

DivineLegion
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Ya know, I like watching football with my wife and kid because they both think I really know my stuff. Then I come on here and it feels like I could barely pick out the football team from a cotton candy vendor.

Don't worry about it brother, that's why I posted the link. There are those on the Mane who don't like IAOFM, but I find it to be incredibly informative. I've learned a lot about football from that site, and that's why I like to share. Plus, you probably know more about football than half of the jokers who pretend to "know it all" on the mane. For me that's the beauty of community and discussion, the opportunity to learn, and that's why I can't help but waste my time on this site.

DENVERDUI55
12-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Don't worry about it brother, that's why I posted the link. There are those on the Mane who don't like IAOFM, but I find it to be incredibly informative. I've learned a lot about football from that site, and that's why I like to share. Plus, you probably know more about football than half of the jokers who pretend to "know it all" on the mane. For me that's the beauty of community and discussion, the opportunity to learn, and that's why I can't help but waste my time on this site.

I like IAOFM they have a lot of good stuff. Von with the pick 6 to add to his DPOY run. What a great call by Del Rio with a bad read and throw by Freeman. Von made it happen with a good drop into his zone. On the replay I noticed Harris probably had a pick 6 too if Von wasn't there.

davidtkd
12-02-2012, 07:21 PM

and this is exactly why I have 353 posts in the past 100 years. :sunshine:

Kaylore
12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
and this is exactly why I have 353 posts in the past 100 years. :sunshine:

I love when Taco tells us stories of the Mane's beginning in 1912. It was definitely more racist then and lured members with promises of Broncos lady-folk in petticoats.

That One Guy
12-02-2012, 08:24 PM
I love when Taco tells us stories of the Mane's beginning in 1912. It was definitely more racist then and lured members with promises of Broncos lady-folk in petticoats.

Assuming he didn't post on another board prior to joining the Mane, he's not factually wrong. If that's all he's posted in 5 years, it's also all he's posted in 10, 50, 100, or a million years.

davidtkd
12-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Are you certain it's less racist? lol