PDA

View Full Version : Denver bidding to host Super Bowl in 2018

Bruce Hermansen Fan
11-28-2012, 09:46 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22084965/denver-mayor-broncos-pursuing-super-bowl-bid-2018

It would be a party. Imagine how many people would love to make a ski vacation out of the trip.

Archer81
11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Wont ever happen. Weather is too unpredictable out here.

:Broncos:

NFLBRONCO
11-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Wont ever happen. Weather is too unpredictable out here.

Weather is alot better now I think they could.

Mogulseeker
11-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Yeah by 2018 there will be so much carbon in the air that Denver will be like the sahara desert... :yayaya:

Archer81
11-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Weather is alot better now I think they could.

It can be 70, sunny and awesome out on the morning of the superbowl. By gametime, it could be 12 with two feet of snow on the ground. That has not changed.

NFLBRONCO
11-28-2012, 10:06 PM
It can be 70, sunny and awesome out on the morning of the superbowl. By gametime, it could be 12 with two feet of snow on the ground. That has not changed.

I know but, imo the weather has had alot less snow in denver and Boulder area recently.

RhymesayersDU
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Obviously they think they have a chance.

But hey, glad that it got totally debunked on a message board with one sentence.

Archer81
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Obviously they think they have a chance.

But hey, glad that it got totally debunked on a message board with one sentence.

Then let me amend it.

If it goes well in NYC, then other outdoor venue cold weather sites will probably get honest consideration. But it is doubtful Denver will be selected for a superbowl, no matter what the organization thinks.

RhymesayersDU
11-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Well, that settles that.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Way better than whatever is in Detroit.

Mogulseeker
11-28-2012, 10:30 PM
There has to be a cheap way they can install a heat system and put a tent-like structure over the stadium

Meck77
11-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I'll be wearing my shorts. Denver is usually shorts weather most of the winter.

Armchair Bronco
11-28-2012, 10:34 PM

Haven't you heard? Detroit is broke, and they're talking about shutting down the town.

baja
11-28-2012, 10:38 PM
There has to be a cheap way they can install a heat system and put a tent-like structure over the stadium

Saran wrap???

Houshyamama
11-28-2012, 10:46 PM
I'll be wearing my shorts. Denver is usually shorts weather most of the winter.

No.

DomCasual
11-28-2012, 10:49 PM
It would be cool to have what would essentially be another home game for us that year. I wonder if we would do the all blue uniforms.

Bruce Hermansen Fan
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
It would be cool to have what would essentially be another home game for us that year. I wonder if we would do the all blue uniforms.

Will Brock Osweiler be the quarterback?

Meck77
11-28-2012, 11:29 PM
No.

Listen I realize people in San Diego drive around with ski jackets on when it hits 60 degrees but average daily highs in Denver are 50 degrees most of the winter.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USCO0105

A sweat shirt and shorts is ideal. If wind kicks up a bit you put your hoodie on. Sun comes out you toss your sweatshirt in car and you ready to golf in Dec!

Cold is western slope living. East slope is down right tropical in comparison.

lonestar
11-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Listen I realize people in San Diego drive around with ski jackets on when it hits 60 degrees but average daily highs in Denver are 50 degrees most of the winter.

A sweat shirt and shorts is ideal. If wind kicks up a bit you put your hoodie on. Sun comes out you toss your sweatshirt in car and you ready to golf in Dec!

Seems to me when I lived or visited there, the time near the National Western Stock show was the bitterest time of the winter in DEN..

Which is about the same time as the Superbowl..

extralife
11-29-2012, 12:32 AM
A sweat shirt and shorts is ideal.

who the **** <i>ever</i> wears a sweatshirt and shorts?

Houshyamama
11-29-2012, 01:35 AM

Ha, yeah I've definitely turned into a bit of a ninny out here in SD, but I was born in Alaska and grew up in Denver so I know cold weather. I just don't remember wearing shorts much in December/January. Guess my memory is going.

That One Guy
11-29-2012, 02:56 AM
New York is only getting a Superbowl as the NFL's way to grease publicly funded stadiums. That's the only way the NFL is going to risk bad weather. Heck, they're currently telling the Dolphins that a roof is one of the things they need if they want to become competitive for superbowls again. I don't see it happening in Denver.

Doggcow
11-29-2012, 03:33 AM

LOL I was thinking this exactly

UberBroncoMan
11-29-2012, 04:57 AM

Super Bowls are not really home games, even if it's at home.

Old Dude
11-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Think of the drama if we did get a blizzard! :undecided

Some of the NFL's greatest games were played under horrid conditions.

Rohirrim
11-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Yeah by 2018 there will be so much carbon in the air that Denver will be like the sahara desert... :yayaya:

I think the Sahara gets more precipitation.

Bronco Yoda
11-29-2012, 07:23 AM
^ this

But I would love to see some current day Super Bowls with some weather.

Requiem
11-29-2012, 07:25 AM
That would be awesome. There would be days in the winter time that Denver would be in the 50s or 60s (short weather for me, considering how cold the Upper Great Plains were) and I just found that crazy. Heck, at the by middle February it was above freezing most days in the Winter Park/Fraser/Granby area. Perfect walking weather, snow shoeing or cross-country skiing weather to work.

Brewer
11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I know but, imo the weather has had alot less snow in denver and Boulder area recently.

Yeah, so in 5 years it will be the same. Sure. You must be from California or Texas?

ludo21
11-29-2012, 10:14 AM
by 2018 the league will be playing flag football only so im pretty sure Denver has no shot. ;D

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-29-2012, 10:22 AM

i wear shorts and short sleeve shirt . only when its warm out, like mid 50s and up but of course if its like snowy and blustery out id wear pants unless its a real quick trip out for a bit. also i wear sandals again unless its cold snowy but if there isnt any snow i just wear sandals sometimes with socks

ludo21
11-29-2012, 10:23 AM
it is 75 or so in az today.. had to put on the long sleeve shirt. Ha!

Beej
11-29-2012, 11:20 AM

http://cbswwfs.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/wild-fox-heart-sweatshirt.jpg

myMind
11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
but if there isnt any snow i just wear sandals sometimes with socks

Why does this not surprise me at all? :rofl:

hades
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Thank goodness it never snows or gets icy in Dallas! :giggle:

Archer81
11-29-2012, 01:09 PM
i wear shorts and short sleeve shirt . only when its warm out, like mid 50s and up but of course if its like snowy and blustery out id wear pants unless its a real quick trip out for a bit. also i wear sandals again unless its cold snowy but if there isnt any snow i just wear sandals sometimes with socks

Oh...my...god...

gunns
11-29-2012, 01:14 PM

OMG with socks. I don't know if there is a bigger fashion faux paus. Not to mention totally disgusting looking and geeky. But, not surprised by the source.

baja
11-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Socks look OK with Berkinstocks

Punisher
11-29-2012, 01:23 PM

:thanku:

gunns
11-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Only if they are closed toe. I've never understood the point of wearing sandals with socks.

Beantown Bronco
11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Only on the Mane could a thread about the SB coming to Denver become a thread about whether it's ok to wear socks and sandals together.

baja
11-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Only if they are closed toe. I've never understood the point of wearing sandals with socks.

I wear my Birkenstocks all year round. I always have at least 3 pair and have since the 70's. When it's cold I wear socks. Birkenstocks with long pants and socks
look fine to me but maybe I'm a nerd. ;D

broncofever
11-29-2012, 01:49 PM
http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p13109068dt.jpg
http://www.young-germany.de/uploads/pics/Birkenstock_and_socks_Flickr_cc_stevenjude.jpg

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
no not big socks the ones that barley go over your foot just til it gets to the beginning of the ankle and whats wrong with wearing SANDALS is joan rivers on the OM now i also wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt

Smiling Assassin27
11-29-2012, 02:21 PM
If it's good enough for the zen master...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/03/12/fashion/birkenstock.184.2.phil.jpg

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
i dont wear tall socks not even when i wear shoes its the ankle socks or bootie socks look im a guy im not too hung up on fashion ok geeze not even if some how in hell i wound up being at the the super bowl . which i guarantee you unless i won the lottery i wont be there

Smiling Assassin27
11-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Just have Mr. Bowlen build one of those pseudo plastic circus tent canopies they have at DIA to cover the field.

chadta
11-29-2012, 03:18 PM
So socks with sandals is bad, but socks with crocs is ok right ? If there isnt snow on the ground up here in Canada, im rockin the socks with crocs.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 03:54 PM

Socks the Tevas in the winter time. That was college for me at Ft. Fun.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-29-2012, 03:58 PM
if denver gets a super bowl i got one thig to say to any teams playing there and to the fans

SUCK IT UP YOU PANISES FOOTBALL IS MENT TO BE PLAYED OUT DOORS IN THE WEATHER god the nfl is turning into wusses whats next sarcastic ball ?

schaaf
11-29-2012, 04:09 PM

That's my daily wardrobe for about 99% of the year.. haha:rofl:

And I even live in Eastern Montana, I think its been 3 months since I wore pants and that was to a job interview haha

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 04:12 PM
whatever happened to wearing a rugby shirt with jimmy jams and vans?

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-29-2012, 04:19 PM
whats the big deal with what we as guys wear.
hello were guys guys dress however they want and dont give a damn at least i dont to a point of course , i wont be wearing a dress and panties anytime soon lol

Greatspirits
11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Ha, yeah I've definitely turned into a bit of a ninny out here in SD, but I was born in Alaska and grew up in Denver so I know cold weather. I just don't remember wearing shorts much in December/January. Guess my memory is going.

Dude everybody wears shorts around here all year round! My 11 year old daughter has worn long pants only once since school started. I grew up here and we put our shorts away when school started and didn't break them out until school ended, usually the beginning of June. But things have definitely changed.

BroncoFox
11-30-2012, 12:22 AM
It always seemed silly to me that football was all about playing tough, and much of that as playing in the freezing weather, in rain, and so on. And then they always chose a sunny warm place for the SB. They talked about playing equal - well if it rains or snows or whatever, it is equal! Both teams are playing in the same weather after all.

lonestar
11-30-2012, 12:32 AM
It always seemed silly to me that football was all about playing tough, and much of that as playing in the freezing weather, in rain, and so on. And then they always chose a sunny warm place for the SB. They talked about playing equal - well if it rains or snows or whatever, it is equal! Both teams are playing in the same weather after all.

Yo it is not about the Game. It is about all the pre game stuff the week before and the fans comfort during the game.

Atwater His Ass
11-30-2012, 12:36 AM
It's not about being tough....it's about having a location that actually allows teams to each play their respective games.

I don't think Denver would ever stand a chance in hell of getting a SB. A place like NY would because of it's location and the media attention ($$$) that it would bring. Denver just cannot compete with a market like NY on that particular front.

extralife
11-30-2012, 12:38 AM
i wont be wearing a dress and panties anytime soon lol

well why not, sweetheart? I thought it didn't matter?

Archer81
11-30-2012, 12:43 AM
no not big socks the ones that barley go over your foot just til it gets to the beginning of the ankle and whats wrong with wearing SANDALS is joan rivers on the OM now i also wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt

The one thing I am extremely gay about (besides penis) is proper footwear. Ankle socks and sandals. Why not just wear nikes or asics? Sandals are meant to be worn sans socks. That's the point of sandals.

And to the board at large; birkenstocks are never ok. Or crocs. FFS.

OOJack
12-01-2012, 11:15 AM
The one thing I am extremely gay about (besides penis) is proper footwear. Ankle socks and sandals. Why not just wear nikes or asics? Sandals are meant to be worn sans socks. That's the point of sandals.

And to the board at large; birkenstocks are never ok. Or crocs. FFS.

Yes, we all know you were picked on your entire life for being homosexual and became the forum police so you could be openly and overly gay without anyone in your real life knowing.

Can you please save us all from your useless posts and stick to banning people? You have no intelligent Broncos information and are literally an idiot.

Tombstone RJ
12-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Yes, we all know you were picked on your entire life for being homosexual and became the forum police so you could be openly and overly gay without anyone in your real life knowing.

Can you please save us all from your useless posts and stick to banning people? You have no intelligent Broncos information and are literally an idiot.

BOOOM! POW-POW! Hilarious!

Momentum
12-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Too damn cold!

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Too damn cold!

gawd dammit suck it up you pussy when i was your age we didnt have coats we only wore dead carcases of dead animals we ran over on the side of the road and we liked it lol

NFLBRONCO
12-01-2012, 03:59 PM
If they are trying NY they sure can give Denver a shot.

bowtown
12-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Yep. The meadowlands are absolute torture after November. I'd take Mile High any day over the brutal damp cold and winds of Met Life in January.

lonestar
12-01-2012, 04:13 PM

The NFL is headquartered in NYC, not DEN it is me of the media capitols of the world not to mention night life, broadway shows, shopping and hotel space up the yazoo.

Almost none which DEN is. At least not to that extent.

I'd guess that it will go to a warm weather city. Now if DEN would have put roof on the stadium odds would be a heck of a lot better.

NFLBRONCO
12-01-2012, 04:36 PM
The NFL is headquartered in NYC, not DEN it is me of the media capitols of the world not to mention night life, broadway shows, shopping and hotel space up the yazoo.

Almost none which DEN is. At least not to that extent.

I'd guess that it will go to a warm weather city. Now if DEN would have put roof on the stadium odds would be a heck of a lot better.

I agree with your points. I was taking weather only. I can bet its more likely to be nicer in Den for SB vs NY 9 out 10 times

lonestar
12-01-2012, 05:49 PM
I agree with your points. I was taking weather only. I can bet its more likely to be nicer in Den for SB vs NY 9 out 10 times

Since I have not been in NYC that time of year I'm not qualified to judge it. I did live in upstate NY for a couple of winters it was no picnic but I also also just a stones throw from the great lake.. In snow alley.

However I have been in Denver during stockshow period which IIRC is Super Bowl time. And it was bitter cold rarely over 35 degrees.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-01-2012, 06:22 PM
well why not, sweetheart? I thought it didn't matter?

well i would look a bit odd ina dress girls can wear guys clothes but some odd reason society sorta looks at you odd for wearing ladies clothes . isnt society odd aliens would come down and have thier minds blown .
i consider myself mostly open minded but guys wearing girls clothes well i find a bit odd

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-01-2012, 06:24 PM
unless its Uncle Miltie http://www.aolcdn.com/photogalleryassets/bv-ent/380185/milton-berle-450ms-091908.jpg

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-01-2012, 06:28 PM
also suck it up you pansies we are NFL fans we go shirtless with the letters of our team painted on us.
our unofficial mascot was barrel man and he wore nothing but a barrel and a hat.
shame shame on all of you for sayin ohhh its too cold to have a superbowl in Denver now get out there and sit in a cold frozen stadium in january febuary lol

sinuous sausage
12-01-2012, 07:56 PM

laughably false

That One Guy
12-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Look at the location of the Superbowl and the age of the stadium played in it. SBs are a way to help the locale recoup money they put into a stadium. That's why NY is getting one. The only reason. Until Denver comes up for a new stadium, it's just not happening.

lonestar
12-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Look at the location of the Superbowl and the age of the stadium played in it. SBs are a way to help the locale recoup money they put into a stadium. That's why NY is getting one. The only reason. Until Denver comes up for a new stadium, it's just not happening.

The superbowls are not about payback for new stadiums. If it were the superdome or MIN would never had them. For that matter LA and the rose bowl or San diego.

Sorry but those are just a few Examples why that is not true.

PS investco is not old either.

That One Guy
12-01-2012, 10:20 PM
The superbowls are not about payback for new stadiums. If it were the superdome or MIN would never had them. For that matter LA and the rose bowl or San diego.

Sorry but those are just a few Examples why that is not true.

PS investco is not old either.

Miami and NO are places where they like to hold the SB because people like to go there. Southern California is a similar situation.

Besides those places, however, check the stadiums that hosted a SB and see whether they were either built or heavily renovated in the 5 or so years prior. Heck, they had to lodge people on cruise ships to get Jax their SB. The new stadium is the ONLY reason NY is hosting a SB.

EDIT: Oh, and Minnesota? They haven't had one since '92 according to what I'm looking at. Who cites 20 year old examples?

That One Guy
12-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Wow, 30 of the 46 Superbowls have been held in either So. Cal, Miami, or New Orleans. Fun fact.

lonestar
12-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Wow, 30 of the 46 Superbowls have been held in either So. Cal, Miami, or New Orleans. Fun fact.

All warm weather or party venues. Add PHX, DAL, SAN and Atl to the list and there are even more warm weather cities.

broncofever
12-02-2012, 03:07 AM
traditionally superbowls are held in climate controlled venues (having a roof or being warm weather areas) so that's why I think Denver faces an uphill battle to get it. KC almost got the 2015 Superbowl, but for a lot of reasons, one of which was the inability to get a rolling roof built during the renovations, that fell through for them. For the one in New Jersey, I expect that exception to the rule has much to do with politics as anything and its huge media draw as others have already stated. If successful it could lead to other exceptions and Denver might have a chance after that. And who knows the presence of both Elway and now Manning might have some influence, not because we'd be playing in, but because that really has put Denver more in the media spotlight.

But the worst idea for a Superbowl I read has to be Goodell's proposal to host it in London at Wembley. I don't think it will happen, but it is ridiculous.

broncocalijohn
12-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Number should be 40. I will take Arizona in the mix for Super Bowls. Denver should not be hosting a game. No cold cities should do so, dome or outside stadium. There is days of activities to do and no one wants a rehash of Atlanta a few years back.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-02-2012, 01:11 PM
god forbid if you play a superbowl where it could get a bit nippy you wussies.
lets put a dome on mile high, and also lets install a thermostat to keep everyone nice and cuddly warm,
also lets not have winners or losers in the game lets all group hug and sing Kum ba yah you wussies .
why can playoffs be in all sorts of weather but not the superbowl

lonestar
12-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Number should be 40. I will take Arizona in the mix for Super Bowls. Denver should not be hosting a game. No cold cities should do so, dome or outside stadium. There is days of activities to do and no one wants a rehash of Atlanta a few years back.

What some are forgetting is it is not just the game but all the other things that take place. All the street activities, as well as things in the parking lots.

It Is not about two teams but about the overall NFL.

If Denver's stadium was like a lot of others, in a downtown area opposed to across the freeway so folks staying at the downtown hotels can walk to the game or activities it would be another story. Or be a mega facility like the house that Jones built I think they would have a shot at it.

Small market city, outdoor field, the odds it would be very cold.

IMO not happening.

Aftermath
12-02-2012, 04:08 PM

The Superbowl in Detroit was actually pretty decent. They did have to put all the bums in tents and feed them though to keep them off the streets lol.