PDA

View Full Version : Calling it now

Ronnie Tsunami
11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Alex Smith will be a Jet in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8687095/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-start-qb-st-louis-rams

Colin Kaepernick will start at quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday against the St. Louis Rams, coach Jim Harbaugh said Wednesday.

BroncoBeavis
11-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Alex Smith will be a Jet in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8687095/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-start-qb-st-louis-rams

Dumbest thing Harbaugh has ever done. You don't pull this kind of **** midseason on a legit Super Bowl Contender.

bfoflcommish
11-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Dumbest thing Harbaugh has ever done. You don't pull this kind of **** midseason on a legit Super Bowl Contender.

you do when the back up is a much better QB. the team has responded to Kaeperneck just fine. he gives them a much better chance come playoff time

Punisher
11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
you do when the back up is a much better QB. the team has responded to Kaeperneck just fine. he gives them a much better chance come playoff time

This

rugbythug
11-28-2012, 01:59 PM

Drew bledsoe agrees

s0phr0syne
11-28-2012, 02:07 PM
I love how Kaepernick actually utilizes his TEs. Obviously Davis is highly regarded, but Delanie Walker has long been neglected. Kaepernick is daring enough to use his arm down the seams. Smith's career has been a series of unfortunate events that were beyond his control, but Kaepernick is better able to maximize the other personnel.

CEH
11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Lose your job to a concussion. Good luck with that NFL

BroncoBeavis
11-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Drew bledsoe agrees

I knew that was coming out.

Key difference.

The 2011 Alex Smith 49ers were one play away from the Super Bowl.

The 2000 Bledsoe New England Patriots were one play away from 4-12.

The switch to Brady MADE those Pats a contender.

Biggest point... a lot has been made lately of the 'big game' quarterback and how important production is when all the chips are down. Smith proved something last year. Played maybe the best game in his career vs the Saints. If Kaepernick has a rough patch in January and the 9ers lose, Harbaugh has put everything he's worked for to this point at risk. They may never get back to where they were.

Rabb
11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Lose your job to a concussion. Good luck with that NFL

Sadly this is exactly the case too. He was honest about the concussion and as a result, lost his job.

Yes I know, there is a case to be made for Kaepernick taking the job...but I am not sure I agree with this. I honestly feel bad for Smith.

Smiling Assassin27
11-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Arizona Cardinals.

lolcopter
11-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Smith sucks. NYJ suck.

Seems like a solid fit

maher_tyler
11-28-2012, 02:51 PM
It is the right move. Kaepernick is the better QB. Better arm and can make plays with his legs. 9ers offense has looked dominate since he took over.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 02:53 PM

I've seen every niner game for 2 years now. The niners are an SB contender despite Smith. When they play from behind their hands are tied. Smith simply does not throw it downfield. 7 years of it. It took him around 4 games this year to actually put the ball in the air more than 20 yards. 92 pass attempts and only 2 were in the air more than 20 yards. He's a one dimesional game manager. An Orton who doesn't turn it over. Niners just got even better.

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 03:00 PM
it's a gamble that could backfire on Harbaugh for sure.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
it's a gamble that could backfire on Harbaugh for sure.

It won't though. Harbaugh owns the city of SF. He even drove the car branden belt sat in the Giants World Series parade. He can do no wrong. His foundations with the Bay go back to the Stanford days. If it doesn't work out they move on. This isn't the first time Harbaugh tried to cast aside Smith. Smith ran back once. If Kaep doesn't work out he will be right there. Harbaugh though will have moved on.

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 03:08 PM
It won't though. Harbaugh owns the city of SF. He even drove the car branden belt sat in the Giants World Series parade. He can do no wrong. His foundations with the Bay go back to the Stanford days. If it doesn't work out they move on. This isn't the first time Harbaugh tried to cast aside Smith. Smith ran back once. If Kaep doesn't work out he will be right there. Harbaugh though will have moved on.

Harbaugh may have the keys to the city but that doesn't mean the team will like it. As long as the team wins I think everything will be fine, but if the team struggles I think this type of decision could haunt Harbaugh down the line.

Kaylore
11-28-2012, 03:14 PM
I knew that was coming out.

Key difference.

The 2011 Alex Smith 49ers were one play away from the Super Bowl.

The 2000 Bledsoe New England Patriots were one play away from 4-12.

The switch to Brady MADE those Pats a contender.

No he didn't. He wasn't even good then. Brady wasn't good until his third year as a starter. Bledsoe and Brady's stats are almost identical from 2000 to 2001.

DenverBroncosJM
11-28-2012, 03:15 PM
I like Kap but I think right around playoff time when teams have film on him he won't look so great.

BroncoBeavis
11-28-2012, 03:16 PM
I've seen every niner game for 2 years now. The niners are an SB contender despite Smith. When they play from behind their hands are tied. Smith simply does not throw it downfield. 7 years of it. It took him around 4 games this year to actually put the ball in the air more than 20 yards. 92 pass attempts and only 2 were in the air more than 20 yards. He's a one dimesional game manager. An Orton who doesn't turn it over. Niners just got even better.

I've never been a huge Smith fan or anything. But an elite team built around a crushing defense shouldn't be switching late-season from any decent 'game managing' QB to a kid who up until a few weeks ago (when Smith got hurt) had a grand total of 14 NFL passing attempts.

And as soon as you can show me an Orton end-of-game performance that looks anything like the end of the 9ers Saints playoff game last year, let me know.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Harbaugh may have the keys to the city but that doesn't mean the team will like it. As long as the team wins I think everything will be fine, but if the team struggles I think this type of decision could haunt Harbaugh down the line.

Harbaugh isn't the type of coach that would even tolerate a locker room split. Players have been interviewed over the last week or so on Bay Area radio and every one is on board with Kaep. They feel Alex was holding them back. "Multi dimensional" offense was used by several players. Alex is an Orton. The only way Alex would've stayed as starter in SF is if he won the Super Bowl. The FO doesn't think he can. He's gone before they owe that 7 mil bonus.

Beantown Bronco
11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
The Bledsoe comparison is a horrible one for another reason: he almost freaking died on the field. He didn't have a "one week" concussion. He couldn't safely step on the practice field for a long time after that injury, much less play in a game. There was no real decision to be made by the coach to bench Bledsoe until Brady had played most of the season and built up a resume and rapport with the team. Smith lost his job after ONE game. If Bledsoe had a one week injury, Brady would probably still be riding pine somewhere or would be out of the NFL altogether.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
And as soon as you can show me an Orton end-of-game performance that looks anything like the end of the 9ers Saints playoff game last year, let me know.

That's one game. Saints suck on the road and I put up alot of money in Vegas based on that. SF is a Super Bowl caliber team at every position except QB. Kaep brings dimesional that Alex can't. 7 years is long enough to know Alex's first read is a check down.

Dutch
11-28-2012, 03:24 PM
I like Kap but I think right around playoff time when teams have film on him he won't look so great.

So do I, but it won't take that long. I'll be interested to see how he fares against the Pats/Bilicheat. They will have 4 games of film on him by then.

ludo21
11-28-2012, 03:27 PM
this makes me think more of the Cutler switch than the Bledsoe switch.

Definitely a make or break move for them. They were NOT winning the SB with Smith, so either way its a good move IMO

rbackfactory80
11-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Nah, Tony Romo will though.

Rabb
11-28-2012, 03:29 PM
That's one game. Saints suck on the road and I put up alot of money in Vegas based on that. SF is a Super Bowl caliber team at every position except QB. Kaep brings dimesional that Alex can't. 7 years is long enough to know Alex's first read is a check down.

I don't watch much Niner football I will admit, but for a guy to be 5th in passer rating, 1st in completion %, 4th in yards per...I just don't see how anyone can say he doesn't deserve to be the starter again.

Sure he hasn't thrown for a lot of yards but he wasn't playing poorly...he was playing like a top ten QB this year.

I have nothing against Kaepernick at all, I truthfully don't care about anyone on that team but I just cannot see how this is fair to Smith. Like Tombstone said, this is a gamble.

BroncoBeavis
11-28-2012, 03:34 PM
No he didn't. He wasn't even good then. Brady wasn't good until his third year as a starter. Bledsoe and Brady's stats are almost identical from 2000 to 2001.

Yes and No. Maybe it's an overstatement that Brady 'made' the Pats a contender that year. In all honesty they were pretty lucky to win it all that year. They were far from dominant. And for the most part they won with defense.

On the other hand, Brady's stats were inarguably better than Bledsoe's in 2000. 86 to 77 passer rating. 64 to 59% completion. More TD's. Less INT's.

And most importantly, Drew had just led the team to two more losses to open the season following a 5-11 season the year before. Comparing the 8-2 damn-near NFC Champs to the 2001 Patriots is silly in nearly every conceivable way.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't watch much Niner football I will admit, but for a guy to be 5th in passer rating, 1st in completion %, 4th in yards per...I just don't see how anyone can say he doesn't deserve to be the starter again.

Sure he hasn't thrown for a lot of yards but he wasn't playing poorly...he was playing like a top ten QB this year.

I have nothing against Kaepernick at all, I truthfully don't care about anyone on that team but I just cannot see how this is fair to Smith. Like Tombstone said, this is a gamble.

Those stats have more to do with Harbaughs genius at QB development than Smith. He never put him in risky situations. Short dink and dunks are what he's good at. Playing with the lead. Managing by not turning over the ball. Yards per are skewed with YACs. Their TEs WRs and RBs rank among the best in YACs. I think I've seen more than several screen passes resulting in 15-20 yards.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Kaep wasn't drafted to be a back up. He was drafted to eventually replace Smith. Harbaugh knows how to coach QBs. Kaep learned all last year and had progressed considerably thanks to Harbaugh. Alex Smith is someone else's guy. Kaep is Harbaughs. HCs love to bring in their own guys. Even if this backfires on Harbaugh he has an out to move on. And SF won't be paying that 7 mil bonus in April.

baja
11-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Seems like a gamblers type risk and an unnecessary one. Might pay off but might screw a SB run and those don't come around all that often.

It's not like you couldn't win a Super Bowl with Smith.

Kaylore
11-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Yes and No. Maybe it's an overstatement that Brady 'made' the Pats a contender that year. In all honesty they were pretty lucky to win it all that year. They were far from dominant. And for the most part they won with defense.

On the other hand, Brady's stats were inarguably better than Bledsoe's in 2000. 86 to 77 passer rating. 64 to 59% completion. More TD's. Less INT's.

And most importantly, Drew had just led the team to two more losses to open the season following a 5-11 season the year before. Comparing the 8-2 damn-near NFC Champs to the 2001 Patriots is silly in nearly every conceivable way.

He had one more TD and one less int! Really? Yeah that was what put them over the edge! ::)

BroncoBeavis
11-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Seems like a gamblers type risk and an unnecessary one. Might pay off but might screw a SB run and those don't come around all that often.

It's not like you couldn't win a Super Bowl with Smith.

And like Kurt Warner said, if you make this move, you do it over the offseason. Not Week 12 of a title chase. Pressure is hard enough on young QB's. Throwing this much expectation on a kid over such a short number of games is begging for disaster.

Rabb
11-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Those stats have more to do with Harbaughs genius at QB development than Smith. He never put him in risky situations. Short dink and dunks are what he's good at. Playing with the lead. Managing by not turning over the ball. Yards per are skewed with YACs. Their TEs WRs and RBs rank among the best in YACs. I think I've seen more than several screen passes resulting in 15-20 yards.

I will have to take your word for it, like I said I don't watch them a lot. All I am saying is, this seems like a good example of "if it aint' broke" IMO.

Could be the move of the year, who knows.

BroncoBeavis
11-28-2012, 03:55 PM
He had one more TD and one less int! Really? Yeah that was what put them over the edge! ::)

It's almost like you didn't read the post.

Bronco Yoda
11-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Kaepernick is Harbough's guy so I'm not surprised. Obviously he was just waiting for the right (first) opportunity to make the switch but Smith was always just good enough to keep his job on a good team going places. This really reminds me of the Cutler/Jake move.

Br0nc0Buster
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Its not like they are winning because of Alex Smith
They have a SB roster already, its not like they are changing defenses or benching Frank Gore

This move was going to be made eventually

As far as Alex Smith goes, well it sucks for him
He will go be the starter for some garbage team and suck for a couple years before becoming a journeyman backup qb

Taco John
11-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm trying to imagine a circumstance in which Alex Smith would want to be the QB of the Jets. Seems like career suicide to me.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
I will have to take your word for it, like I said I don't watch them a lot. All I am saying is, this seems like a good example of "if it aint' broke" IMO.

Could be the move of the year, who knows.

Personally if we had to face them in the Super Bowl I'd rather have Smith start then Kaep. Smith Handcuffs the offense and you concentrate on Gore. With Kaep Crabtree and Davis become lethal, along with Gore.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm trying to imagine a circumstance in which Alex Smith would want to be the QB of the Jets. Seems like career suicide to me.

Well he got on a plane to Miami when that organization looked like a complete disaster this summer.

Action
11-28-2012, 04:13 PM
I love how Kaepernick actually utilizes his TEs. Obviously Davis is highly regarded, but Delanie Walker has long been neglected. Kaepernick is daring enough to use his arm down the seams. Smith's career has been a series of unfortunate events that were beyond his control, but Kaepernick is better able to maximize the other personnel.

Vernon Davis got 0 receptions and 0 targets last game.

Harbaugh's offense is very QB friendly though.

Bronco Yoda
11-28-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking Smith would consider most teams right now if he was given the starting job. One game and he's replaced??? That's a biatch slap!

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Harbaugh's offense is very QB friendly though.

It really is a testement to Harbaughs QB coaching. Before Jim Alex looked like a complete mess. No HC, OC could get production out of him. Did not use him right. Let him pass downfield resulting in terrible games. Harbaugh used Smith strengths. Not to mention Andrew Luck. And now Kaep has seen benefits from learning all last year.

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Harbaugh isn't the type of coach that would even tolerate a locker room split. Players have been interviewed over the last week or so on Bay Area radio and every one is on board with Kaep. They feel Alex was holding them back. "Multi dimensional" offense was used by several players. Alex is an Orton. The only way Alex would've stayed as starter in SF is if he won the Super Bowl. The FO doesn't think he can. He's gone before they owe that 7 mil bonus.

Harbaugh sounds like an over-the-top ego. That may work in college but not in the NFL. Like I said, if the team wins, fine. I'm sure Harbaugh will continue to garner the respect of the players. However, if the team struggles then I think it--might--come back to haunt him.

Fact is, the Niners are loaded with talent. Much of that talent was there before Harbaugh became the HC. All I'm saying is that his personality may rub some players the wrong way if the team starts to struggle.

baja
11-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Harbaugh sounds like an over-the-top ego. That may work in college but not in the NFL. Like I said, if the team wins, fine. I'm sure Harbaugh will continue to garner the respect of the players. However, if the team struggles then I think it--might--come back to haunt him.

Fact is, the Niners are loaded with talent. Much of that talent was there before Harbaugh became the HC. All I'm saying is that his personality may rub some players the wrong way if the team starts to struggle.

Just think what it will do to the locker room if Kaepernick tosses 4 ints in a playoff game and SF is one and done. Where does Harbaugh you go from there?

Agamemnon
11-28-2012, 05:27 PM
The 49ers aren't going to win the Super Bowl off of QB play with either guy, but I fully believe Kaepernick is going to make enough mistakes to lose it for them.

canadianbroncosfan
11-28-2012, 05:34 PM
If it wasn't going to be Peyton in the spring, it had to be Kaepernick in the fall. Doesn't seem to me like Harbaugh or their FO are big fans of Smith.

ZONA
11-28-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't see the issue. Maybe if Colin loses a game, there can be a discussion. Harbaugh didn't say anything wrong. Said all the right things in fact. What's the problem here? I don't see one.

baja
11-28-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't see the issue. Maybe if Colin loses a game, there can be a discussion. Harbaugh didn't say anything wrong. Said all the right things in fact. What's the problem here? I don't see one.

You had a game manager playing well enough to win lots of games.

Smith had a qb rating of over 100

Kaepernick is an unknown and will make first time starters mistakes what if the mistakes come in a playoff game where if you lose there is no next week.

HorseHead
11-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Only in the NFL can you be 18 out of 19 in your last start, and poof..

That being said, the kid looks like he has a cannon..the dude has some guns..

baja
11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
KC should trade out of the 1 spot and sign Smith.

Quickest way to get good fast.

Agamemnon
11-28-2012, 06:00 PM

He would be an improvement but that team needs a lot more than a game manager.

extralife
11-28-2012, 06:04 PM
The 49ers aren't going to win the Super Bowl off of QB play with either guy, but I fully believe Kaepernick is going to make enough mistakes to lose it for them.

watch last year's NFC Championship game. I can't even talk about it.

baja
11-28-2012, 06:06 PM

Just think the haul they'd get if they could find a trading partner and the got a good D and a good running game and OL when not injured.

lolcopter
11-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Just think the haul they'd get if they could find a trading partner and the got a good D and a good running game and OL when not injured.

What haul? Who is going #1 that would warrant an RG3 type random?

lolcopter
11-28-2012, 06:18 PM
It's not like you couldn't win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilpher.

baja
11-28-2012, 06:33 PM
What haul? Who is going #1 that would warrant an RG3 type random?

Who said anything about that. If they trade down 3 or 4 places they still get at least 2 good players for one pick most likely. It's a long time to the draft who knows what player will shoot up the value chart causing some team to jump on the trade.

BroncoBeavis
11-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Just think what it will do to the locker room if Kaepernick tosses 4 ints in a playoff game and SF is one and done. Where does Harbaugh you go from there?

Exactly.

errand
11-28-2012, 10:31 PM
in fairness to Alex Smith, how many different. head coaches and OC's has he had in his career?

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-28-2012, 11:09 PM
in fairness to Alex Smith, how many different. head coaches and OC's has he had in his career?

None of them knew how to use him. They let him throw downfield, resulting in them getting fired. Going into this season Smith had to win the SB to keep his job. Anything less and he would be done in SF. An SB win and he gets that big roster bonus in April. Doesn't look like he will get it.

ol#7
11-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Smith was having a career year. Hell he threw a TD with blurred vision, him coming out of the game resulted in a tie. Kaepernick then had one great game, and they would have lost to the Saints with him leading the team if Bree's hadnt thrown two pick sixes. They only managed 17 points off that terrible Saints defense. Now you can't go back to Smith IMO, and Kaepernick is going to get them beat. Reminds me of when Tampa gave up on Dilfer a season too soon. IMO a Dilfer led Buc's team would have beaten the Rams in the NFCCG. The guy they replaced him with wasn't even the guy who eventually won it for them.

baja
11-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Smith was having a career year. Hell he threw a TD with blurred vision, him coming out of the game resulted in a tie. Kaepernick then had one great game, and they would have lost to the Saints with him leading the team if Bree's hadnt thrown two pick sixes. They only managed 17 points off that terrible Saints defense. Now you can't go back to Smith IMO, and Kaepernick is going to get them beat. Reminds me of when Tampa gave up on Dilfer a season too soon. IMO a Dilfer led Buc's team would have beaten the Rams in the NFCCG. The guy they replaced him with wasn't even the guy who eventually won it for them.

You are 100 % correct. It's a move that a coach who believes his press clippings makes. Harbaugh is the toast of the town in SF. He well could have outsmarted himself. No matter how this comes out benching very capable Smith in favor of an unknown in a year you are a favorite to win the SB is a huge risk that effects a lot of people.

CEH
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
I can think of 18+ QBs better than Smith. he is a guy that plays well at times but you would always be looking to upgrade

baja
11-29-2012, 08:51 AM
I can think of 18+ QBs better than Smith. he is a guy that plays well at times but you would always be looking to upgrade

I agree with you but do you risk it by playing an unproven QB during a SB run when one bone head play sends you home?

That Team is a complete team and Smith has shown to be a good manager with a 100 QB rating.

Pick Six
11-29-2012, 09:04 AM

That's a brilliant idea. They would get a proven NFL QB AND accumulate draft picks. I hope Pioli isn't reading the Mane...

baja
11-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Hopefully they will go for the savior type QB and strike out yet again ;D

DenverBroncosJM
11-29-2012, 09:11 AM
The problem with this move is there is only one way it works out and Harbaugh isn't questioned the rest of his coaching career, win the Super Bowl. Anything less than that and pundits will always question "what if?".

lolcopter
11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
That's a brilliant idea. They would get a proven NFL QB AND accumulate draft picks. I hope Pioli isn't reading the Mane...

LOL

It's like some people haven't even watched this loser play over the years

Orton > Smith

Irish Stout
11-29-2012, 01:00 PM

Right, they could've just resigned Orton as their starter. Jeez, they should have.

Irish Stout
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
LOL

Orton > Smith

I agree with this, but Smith > Cassell

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 01:02 PM
LOL

Orton > Smith

shut your mouth, Smith is perfect for kc! :~ohyah!: