PDA

View Full Version : Why would anyone let their kid play football?

Cache Glades
11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Seriously

Now on to the stats for the week – 108 regular season & 156 since camp opened. Notes: DB’s now make up 25% of all the regular season concussions (8 last week)… Offense continues to outpace the defense… Current numbers/stats are getting close to being in line with last year… The least concussed positions are QB and DL… The ()’s represent last week’s figures;

108 Concussions/head injuries (92)
9.82 Concussions/week (9.20)
167 Projected Concussions (156)
0.65 Concussions/game (0.61)
11.59% InR (10.86)
9.84% EInR (9.22)
60 Offensive (53) – 48 Defense (39)
Positionally Speaking
QB – 6 (6), RB – 12 (10), TE – 12 (10), WR – 18 (15), OL – 12 (10), DL – 7 (6), LB – 14 (14), DB – 27 (19)
Team Breakdown
OAK – 9
DET, KC, WAS – 7
CLE, JAX – 5
CAR, NYG, PIT, SEA – 4
BUF, DAL, IND, MIA, NE, NYJ, PHI, SF, STL, TB, TEN – 3
ARI, BAL, CHI, CIN, DEN, GB, MIN, NO – 2
ATL, HOU, SD – 1
NONE – 0

http://theconcussionblog.com/2012/11/22/2012-nfl-concussion-report-through-week-11/

crowebomber
11-26-2012, 01:24 PM
... or watch Ghostbusters.

Requiem
11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Why would anyone let their kid have an iPad?

Goobzilla
11-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Or get coffee drinks at Starbucks?

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Fluffy bounce houses that Mexicans rent on kid bdays are now considered dangerous too. Lets just outlaw anything and everything while bubble wrapping kids right up.

g6matty
11-26-2012, 01:30 PM
if its not my kid who cares

bfoflcommish
11-26-2012, 01:36 PM
oooohhhhh someones mad they didnt get a participation trophy when they were younger

bronco militia
11-26-2012, 01:48 PM
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/johngaudiosi/files/2011/05/fat-southpark-gaming11.jpg

That One Guy
11-26-2012, 01:50 PM
I wonder how many of those concussions wouldn't have happened if the players weren't trying to blow each other up. LBs should be leading the concussion race yet it's DBs accounting for 25% of them. If the DBs and LBs learn to tackle without turning themselves into a missile, all concussions decline rapidly.

As for who would want their kid to play? Well, money can make a lot of people do a lot of things.

Cache Glades
11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Fluffy bounce houses that Mexicans rent on kid bdays are now considered dangerous too. Lets just outlaw anything and everything while bubble wrapping kids right up.

Because severe debilitating brain injuries are the same as the examples given above. Now I remember why I haven't been back here in 8 years.

I guess it's just the me selfish/Romney mentality that make you think this way. I dont know, I just think we should be looking out for each other.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Because severe debilitating brain injuries are the same as the examples given above. Now I remember why I haven't been back here in 8 years.

I guess it's just the me selfish/Romney mentality that make you think this way. I dont know, I just think we should be looking out for each other.

Wtf does Romney have to do with this? Maybe you should post even less than once or twice a year.

BroncoBeavis
11-26-2012, 02:05 PM

So is this like your thing? Do you drop by snowboarding/skiing/mountain biking/motorcycle forums once a decade or so to remind them that what they enjoy is stupid?

boppool
11-26-2012, 02:06 PM
http://schmoesknow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/make-it-rain.jpg

crowebomber
11-26-2012, 02:08 PM

No, it's just that this is a football forum. So, when you come to a football forum and title your thread in that way, you should expect some backlash.

There has been plenty of discussion on the topic of concussions, and I think everyone here supports the idea that measures need to be taken to keep players safe, while still maintaining the integrity of the game. However, coming in and saying the answer is to not let anyone play football is probably going to met with some smarta$$ comments aimed directly at you.

And oh yeah, 100 POST RULE!

go_broncos
11-26-2012, 02:09 PM
you joined in 2005 and only have 10 posts...

DenverDynamite
11-26-2012, 02:16 PM
He's a fellow lurker.

Goobzilla
11-26-2012, 02:18 PM

Looking forward to your return in 2020, seriously.

DomCasual
11-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Everyone can rip on the newbie, but what he's talking about is a real problem.

Personally, I've had three surgeries on a knee that I hurt playing high school football. On top of that, I've had a surgery on the other knee and one on my rotator cuff that are probably, at least to a degree, related to football injuries. So, was it worth it? Probably. I would probably do it again. I have great memories from it. But especially with the one knee, there are days I wish I had never played. I can only imagine the wear and tear if I had been talented enough to play four more years, in college.

Now, as for my son? I thought long and hard about this, when he was little. I decided I would let him play, if he sort of organically migrated towards it. But, as much as I love football - and it's truly one of my favorite things - I hoped he would find other interests. And, as it turned out, he's on the small side, and not very quick. He's got the athletic ability of a chess player. And that ended up being okay.

The NFL is wise to put all this emphasis on safety. They are going to eventually settle a massive lawsuit. But what may be worse is that they're going to have generations of kids whose parents steer them towards other directions.

Goobzilla
11-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm tired of the hippies making it sound like playing organized football is a death sentence. Have you seen this "heads up" tackling they're trying to push? Ridiculous

BroncoMan4ever
11-26-2012, 02:37 PM
This world is quickly becoming extremely sissy. Football and other contact sports aren't for everybody. We are raising kids who have no initiative or desire to do anything but sit in front of ipads, drink starbucks and bitch that life isn't fair. I'm not saying cutting or weakening sports is the cause, but the more this society coddles, the weaker our kids will become. We are starting to have the attitude that if it can be physical or cause any pain than it shouldn't be done.

BroncoMan4ever
11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
oooohhhhh someones mad they didnt get a participation trophy when they were younger

I hate participation trophies. Such bull**** to make losers feel like winners. Winners get accolades and losers get to work to become better and become winners. Life isn't fair and the younger kids learn that the better.