PDA

View Full Version : Hillman

Quoydogs
11-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Am I the only one not impressed ? I understand he is a rookie and it takes time but is is now game 11 and I have only seen 1 run for a hope of what should be. Sounds like the Offense has no faith in him either. :thanku: Am I jumping the gun here. I really want him to work out. Love that change of pace back but is he it ?

lonestar
11-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Am I the only one not impressed ? I understand he is a rookie and it takes time but is is now game 11 and I have only seen 1 run for a hope of what should be. Sounds like the Offense has no faith in him either. :thanku: Am I jumping the gun here. I really want him to work out. Love that change of pace back but is he it ?

Probably.

schaaf
11-26-2012, 01:05 PM
I think he has a bright future but in order for him to succeed he is going to have to improve his cutting ability and change of direction speed.

Goobzilla
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Yes it's time to give up on him. Absolutely.

Denver Bronco56
11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Dont discount the fact he is the YOUNGEST player in the entire NFL, who knew it was time to give up on a 20 year old because he didnt come in the NFL knowing everything and not needing time to develop

Cito Pelon
11-26-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't want to bag on the guy too much, but he's gonna have to put on some weight and muscle.

bronco militia
11-26-2012, 01:17 PM
way too soon to give up on, but yeah I haven't been that impressed. So far he reminds me of Tatum Bell

Quoydogs
11-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Yes it's time to give up on him. Absolutely.

This is not what I am saying at all. Has he lived up to all the hype ? From all the talk before the season I expected the next MJD to be coming in here. Then we find out he can't block, he is supposed to have crazy cutting/burst speed and I will admit I kinda saw this once. What I am saying is shouldn't we be seeing a flash by now. Just because I don't think he is perfect does not mean I have given up hope on the guy. Some of you need to smoke some dope or take a Valium. WOW>.

bronco militia
11-26-2012, 01:21 PM
This is not what I am saying at all. Has he lived up to all the hype ? From all the talk before the season I expected the next MJD to be coming in here. Then we find out he can't block, he is supposed to have crazy cutting/burst speed and I will admit I kinda saw this once. What I am saying is shouldn't we be seeing a flash by now. Just because I don't think he is perfect does not mean I have given up hope on the guy. Some of you need to smoke some dope or take a Valium. WOW>.

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE AN AGENDA

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR__VF8n2_MaEAs-Js7itREA-ZmSNpB5CWi1DaqVzAYwOjUnMLS13FL7du2Xw

HorseHead
11-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Give the kid a break, he's like 12...long way to go..

TonyR
11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Am I the only one not impressed ?

You shouldn't be. Not much to be impressed with thus far. Hope he proves us wrong.

oubronco
11-26-2012, 01:28 PM
way too soon to give up on, but yeah I haven't been that impressed. So far he reminds me of Tatum Bell

Except Taco Bell was bigger and faster

bronco militia
11-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Except Taco Bell was bigger and faster

and equally impressive as Hillamn

ZZZ...

oubronco
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
and equally impressive as Hillamn

ZZZ...

Taco Bell wasn't all that, but he did have some good games. Time will tell if Hillman is going to be better and he really doesn't have to do much to top what Taco Bell did so he's got that goin for him

Requiem
11-26-2012, 01:47 PM
He will likely get better as time goes on. His SDSU Aztecs would already be done with their season by now. He is 21, young and probably has a lot to grasp in both the mental and physical aspects of the game.

Surprised that we traded up for him, but he has a lot of great tools. He will never be like Marshall Faulk (regardless of Fox's comparisons/praise) -- but he can be an effective player that can win us a lot of ball games. I personally would like to see his speed on KOR instead of having Lance Ballsack out there.

cmhargrove
11-26-2012, 01:49 PM
I've listened to a couple interviews with him, and I would add that he is probably a little emotionally immature. Once again, I think it is just a product of his age and huge circumstances as an NFL rookie. He just isn't going to be one of those backs that dominates his rookie year, but I do expect some good progress between this year and next.

He just jumped into the NFL's "PHD program" trying to learn a Peyton Manning offense. It's tough, and it is obvious that he is thinking way too much. Hopefully, he continues to make progress this season and we get a few big plays from him down the stretch.

Beantown Bronco
11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
I'd take a 2005ish Tatum Bell right now:

Only 173 carries in spot duty, yet he managed to get 921 yds (5.3 yds per carry) and 8 TDs. Sign me up.

bronco militia
11-26-2012, 02:05 PM

Only 173 carries in spot duty, yet he managed to get 921 yds (5.3 yds per carry) and 8 TDs. Sign me up.

only if you bring mike anderson with him.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Here's a quickly compiled list of rank by total yards from scrimmage from rookie RB's:

1. Doug Martin
2. Trent Richardson
3. Ronnie Hillman
4. Bernard Pierce
5. Robert Turbin
6. David Wilson
7. Isaiah Peade
8. Lamicheal James

The Broncos have nothing to complain about. Ronnie Hillman has shown NFL ability, and likely needs another year or two to mature physically and emotionally. Doug Martin is about 3 years older than Hillman.

Hillman has shown flashes, and hopefully continues to develop throughout the year.

mwill07
11-26-2012, 02:07 PM

what hype? He was a 3rd round pick, for crying out loud. Any hype there was surrounding him was obviously misplaced.

He may turn into something next year, which would be great and in line with his maturity. Not 2012 though.

edog24
11-26-2012, 02:08 PM
I say put him in at PR to get his wheels warmed up. Leanord or however you spell it is worthless.

g6matty
11-26-2012, 02:10 PM
I've listened to a couple interviews with him, and I would add that he is probably a little emotionally immature. Once again, I think it is just a product of his age and huge circumstances as an NFL rookie. He just isn't going to be one of those backs that dominates his rookie year, but I do expect some good progress between this year and next.

He just jumped into the NFL's "PHD program" trying to learn a Peyton Manning offense. It's tough, and it is obvious that he is thinking way too much. Hopefully, he continues to make progress this season and we get a few big plays from him down the stretch.

block left and block right isnt hard to figure out lol

Bmore Manning
11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Here's a quickly compiled list of rank by total yards from scrimmage from rookie RB's:

1. Doug Martin
2. Trent Richardson
3. Ronnie Hillman
4. Bernard Pierce
5. Robert Turbin
6. David Wilson
7. Isaiah Peade
8. Lamicheal James

The Broncos have nothing to complain about. Ronnie Hillman has shown NFL ability, and likely needs another year or two to mature physically and emotionally. Doug Martin is about 3 years older than Hillman.

Hillman has shown flashes, and hopefully continues to develop throughout the year.

How I would have loved to have Lamichael James..

Bmore Manning
11-26-2012, 02:14 PM
He will likely get better as time goes on. His SDSU Aztecs would already be done with their season by now. He is 21, young and probably has a lot to grasp in both the mental and physical aspects of the game.

Surprised that we traded up for him, but he has a lot of great tools. He will never be like Marshall Faulk (regardless of Fox's comparisons/praise) -- but he can be an effective player that can win us a lot of ball games. I personally would like to see his speed on KOR instead of having Lance Ballsack out there.

I had thought I read that GMs called and were pretty disappointed that Denver took him from their waiting picks. This is by no means supporting or not supporting the pick, but apparently others were also high on him.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Tatum Bell was a deadly change of pace back in his rookie season. Hillman isn't even in the same zip code as Bell's rookie production.

Requiem
11-26-2012, 02:17 PM

1. Doug Martin
2. Trent Richardson
3. Ronnie Hillman
4. Bernard Pierce
5. Robert Turbin
6. David Wilson
7. Isaiah Peade
8. Lamicheal James

Daryl Richardson isn't on this list. It took him about 4 carries to eclipse what Hillman has done all year and he was a ****ter pick in the late rounds.

Quoydogs
11-26-2012, 02:19 PM
what hype? He was a 3rd round pick, for crying out loud. Any hype there was surrounding him was obviously misplaced.

He may turn into something next year, which would be great and in line with his maturity. Not 2012 though.

Do you not watch Broncos tv ? Coach fox said he was the next Faulk. We traded up to get him. Elway said he had the best cut back that he had scene. Yep no talk at all.

DBroncos4life
11-26-2012, 02:26 PM
I was pretty sure Elway wanted him to be our Sproles. Well we don't really have a LT type back to allow Hillman to get ready like Sproles. That means fans will not be patient with him.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Daryl Richardson isn't on this list. It took him about 4 carries to eclipse what Hillman has done all year and he was a ****ter pick in the late rounds.

Good call...never heard of that dude. Rather beastly.

lonestar
11-26-2012, 02:32 PM

One of his comments was he fears Manning more than any of the coaches.

Quoydogs
11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
One of his comments was he fears Manning more than any of the coaches.

That's because he can't block and Manning gets blown up. I would hate to hear the 20 million dollar man after that too.

lonestar
11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Tatum Bell was a deadly change of pace back in his rookie season. Hillman isn't even in the same zip code as Bell's rookie production.

Maybe you failed to notice but we were a run first team back then. At the time we did not have a real RB like MaGahee either.

Might be part ofthe reason.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Do you not watch Broncos tv ? Coach fox said he was the next Faulk. We traded up to get him. Elway said he had the best cut back that he had scene. Yep no talk at all.

Other than Martin and Richardson, there were no real eye-catchers. Hillman could be the best of the rest, and we needed somebody.

Without the 3 runs during the last drive against the Chargers (bad play calls)...Hillman would be averaging 4.0 ypc.

I'm glad they're not depending on him too much. Super-happy Knowshon took the bull by the horns.

yerner
11-26-2012, 02:37 PM
I would like to see his ypc a bit higher. Be more comparable to Jamaal Charles rookie campaign. I don't think their run blocking is all that great though. Some players do it from the start, others take a bit longer. I still think he will be a good player.

lonestar
11-26-2012, 02:38 PM
That's because he can't block and Manning gets blown up. I would hate to hear the 20 million dollar man after that too.

While that might be part of it. I'd like to think he is in awe of a HOF QB that is demanding perfection from everyone around him.

But nit pick all you want.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Maybe you failed to notice but we were a run first team back then. At the time we did not have a real RB like MaGahee either.

Might be part ofthe reason.

I'd take Mike Anderson over Willis any day of the week. And Tatum was light years better than Hillman as a rookie.

2KBack
11-26-2012, 02:53 PM
I'd take Mike Anderson over Willis any day of the week. And Tatum was light years better than Hillman as a rookie.

Seconded, MA doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Action
11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Broncos run blocking isn't great people, and Hillman has had way too many occasions where he's met behind the LOS or the lineman are pushed back behind the LOS.

2KBack
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Broncos run blocking isn't great people, and Hillman has had way too many occasions where he's met behind the LOS or the lineman are pushed back behind the LOS.

That isn't a viable excuse around here.

boppool
11-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Right now, he's a liability against pass rush.
Once he learns how to pick up blitzs better, he'll be fine.

Pick Six
11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
The kid has wheels. He doesn't dance behind the line of scrimmage, like Knowshon...

Dedhed
11-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Comparing anything regarding this offense to that of 10 years ago is a joke.

Heyneck
11-26-2012, 05:23 PM
The kid has wheels. He doesn't dance behind the line of scrimmage, like Knowshon...

uh.... yup... you sure watched last game. Kid danced and lost yards on 2 of his 3 carries.

KipCorrington25
11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
He was sold as this explosive homerun hitter type and to be frank I have not seen any indication that he's either... disapointed so far.

bpc
11-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't be too down on him yet. This coaching staff, rightfully so, seems very reserved about playing kids too early who are not ready. I think there is a lot to be said for that. I think the game is moving too fast and that Hillman doesn't no more than half his assignments. With Manning at the helm, it's not enought o run well... you need to catch, block and do the little things well that sells the offense. He isn't there yet, obviously. Expect reps to go to Slowshon, Ball, Hillman until the new FB gets caught up. I woudln't expect much output until next year from Hillman.

Heyneck
11-26-2012, 05:32 PM
He was sold as this explosive homerun hitter type and to be frank I have not seen any indication that he's either... disapointed so far.

well... he is 4.4 back. Not sure why people expect speed to be his main asset. He is a shifty back... with decent speed, but I would never put him in the Sproles category... yet. Kid is really young... lets see how physically and mentally he develops over the next 2 years. Then we can see if he can fit the sproles role like most expected.

orinjkrush
11-26-2012, 05:39 PM

1. Doug Martin
2. Trent Richardson
3. Ronnie Hillman
4. Bernard Pierce
5. Robert Turbin
6. David Wilson
7. Isaiah Peade
8. Lamicheal James

THIS. calm down folkes.

TonyR
11-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Add Bryce Brown to the list. And isn't one of NE's backs a rookie? Probably several others missing as well.

Inkana7
11-26-2012, 07:55 PM
He's carried the ball less than 6 times a game, people.

Inkana7
11-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Add Bryce Brown to the list. And isn't one of NE's backs a rookie? Probably several others missing as well.

Ridley is a second year player who touched the ball 90 times all of last year. Sometimes rookies need time to, you know, develop.

Man-Goblin
11-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Hillman/Osweiler in 2016 fOR!THE!!WIN!!11!

lonestar
11-26-2012, 08:18 PM

those were different times.. ZBS verses a hybird blocking scheme..

While I liked Marine Mike he could not hold a candle to Willis in his prime..

Oh BTW mikey cut your hero.. How did you feel about that..

and tater ahahahahahahahahaha

extralife
11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
it's too early to really say much about him, but so far I have seen literally nothing to indicate that he's going to be a reliable NFL back. he's a small guy with not much speed, he can't block, and he hasn't shown us any moves yet. I don't get it.

TonyR
11-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Ridley is a second year player who touched the ball 90 times all of last year. Sometimes rookies need time to, you know, develop.

I was referring to Brandon Bolden who I believe is a rookie and he's outgained Hillman thus far.

maher_tyler
11-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Only thing I have to say on the matter is that I thought he was going to be faster than he is. I haven't seen the speed everyone was talking about when he was drafted. The guy is only 21 and the youngest player in the NFL. He only gets a handful of carries per game. We haven't seen enough to judge imo. I expect bigger things next year. By the end of his 3rd year we'll have a pretty good idea if he'll be with us past his rookie contract. Much like Moreno.

baja
11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
The heat is off Moreno for now so since the OM absolutely must have a player to beatch about and it seems it must be a RB looks like it's Hillman on the spit. The kid is 21 years old hell he's not even fully grown yet.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Never said Bell was my hero. Just pointed out the absolute fact that Tatum was a productive role player... much more so than Hillman at this point in their respective careers. This was a response to another poster comparing Hillman to Bell. There is no comparison. So suck it.

Hamrob
11-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Hillman's numbers aren't great. But, what can be expected of a RB who has carried the ball 52 times? He's a rookie who gets 5-6 touches a game...give him a break.

<TABLE class=mod-data><THEAD><TR><TH scope=col>RUSHING</TH><TH class=textright scope=col>ATT</TH><TH class=textright scope=col>YDS</TH><TH class=textright scope=col>AVG</TH><TH class=textright scope=col>TD</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class="even player-28-4481"><TD>Willis McGahee (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4481/willis-mcgahee)</TD><TD class=textright>167</TD><TD class=textright>731</TD><TD class=textright>4.4</TD><TD class=textright>4</TD></TR><TR class="odd player-28-14895"><TD>Ronnie Hillman (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14895/ronnie-hillman)</TD><TD class=textright>52</TD><TD class=textright>197</TD><TD class=textright>3.8</TD><TD class=textright>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dr. Broncenstein
11-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Willis never ran for 1487 yards. Never even came close.

DBroncos4life
11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I was referring to Brandon Bolden who I believe is a rookie and he's outgained Hillman thus far.

More PEDs suspensions as well.

DBroncos4life
11-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Anderson did that in 12 starts too. Lonestar knows literally nothing about football. I think he is 8 years old acting like a 80 to seem like he has seen stuff.

mwill07
11-26-2012, 09:25 PM

I don't remember Willis hitting 258 in a game either.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I don't remember Willis hitting 258 in a game either.

Lonesomestar says there was no comparison between the two. He also said we didn't have a "real running back" at the time Mike Anderson ran for 1487 yards in 12 games as a 26 year old rookie. Then he laughed maniacly while counting to potato.

Action
11-26-2012, 09:49 PM
lol Ronnie Hillman doesn't get any carries at all.

He has played in 9 games, and in 6 of them he's had 5 or carries.

Matter of fact in 5 games he's had 3 or less carries.

No RB is getting on a roll like that.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-26-2012, 09:51 PM
lol Ronnie Hillman doesn't get any carries at all.

He has played in 9 games, and in 6 of them he's had 5 or carries.

Matter of fact in 5 games he's had 3 or less carries.

No RB is getting on a roll like that.

Why is he getting so few carries?

baja
11-26-2012, 10:04 PM
They don't trust his blocking.....yet

Mogulseeker
11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
He's just shy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6_W_xLWtNa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lonestar
11-26-2012, 10:51 PM

I guess those three years of 1200+ a year are chopped liver. 8100 yards for his career , how about Marine Mike.

Iirc he had one really good year and then your hero mikey shipped his ass out.

lonestar
11-26-2012, 10:53 PM

He is 20 years old playing a big boys game. He was never touted to be an every play guy. Change of pace.

Add to that we are a passing team. Might give you a hint.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Keep it up Hillman haters! I thought you guys were Bronco fans?

DENVERDUI55
11-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Hillman was given chance and showed he still needs experience.

Mogulseeker
11-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Hillman was given chance and showed he still needs experience.

Somewhere there is a good meme for this quote.

Hilman can't play because he needs experience....

Bacchus
11-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Hillman's numbers aren't great. But, what can be expected of a RB who has carried the ball 52 times? He's a rookie who gets 5-6 touches a game...give him a break.

<TABLE class=mod-data><THEAD><TR><TH scope=col>RUSHING</TH><TH class=textright scope=col>ATT</TH><TH class=textright scope=col>YDS</TH><TH class=textright scope=col>AVG</TH><TH class=textright scope=col>TD</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class="even player-28-4481"><TD>Willis McGahee (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4481/willis-mcgahee)</TD><TD class=textright>167</TD><TD class=textright>731</TD><TD class=textright>4.4</TD><TD class=textright>4</TD></TR><TR class="odd player-28-14895"><TD>Ronnie Hillman (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14895/ronnie-hillman)</TD><TD class=textright>52</TD><TD class=textright>197</TD><TD class=textright>3.8</TD><TD class=textright>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

He has shown nothing. Actually, most of his runs occur in passing formations so he should actually have a higher YPC average since the defense is most likley expecting a pass and in the nickle.

Hopefully, he'll improve but he does not break tackles and he seems his football speed is slower than his 40 time. Maybe that is because he is hesitant.

Bacchus
11-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Keep it up Hillman haters! I thought you guys were Bronco fans?

So if you bash Hillman, Ball, DJ, Decker, Ramirez, Mays then you are not a Broncos' fan? Or is it just Hillman?

theAPAOps5
11-27-2012, 12:19 AM

Have you seen him in pass blocking. He is a liability. He had gotten better but then SD he had some big whiffs. He is a rookie, its going to take time.

Remember Raheem the Dream Moore was the youngest player in the league last year too. He has gotten way better this year. I think youth has a lot to do with it.

DENVERDUI55
11-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Somewhere there is a good meme for this quote.

Hilman can't play because he needs experience....

He is in too far over his head to play because he is ineffective when he does. He needs plenty of practice time before he has a big role in games.

Action
11-27-2012, 12:45 AM

No idea, only John Fox, Mike McCoy, Eric Studesville and the Denver Broncos know.

As far as what he's done on game day in regards to pass protection, he hasn't given up anything in all the time he's been in there.

Matter of fact, there was a play last week where he picked up a blitz when everyone was singled up and he stood up the rusher.

Popps
11-27-2012, 12:52 AM

I'm admitedly a Tatum Bell apologist but the guy wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. He had some talent and decent numbers for us. But yeah, he wasn't a true feature back. I'll say this, I'm hoping Hillman pans out but he's got a way to go before he's even on par with what Bell did. Plus Tatum helped me shave 10% off of my bill by setting me up with a family plan.

Bacchus
11-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Have you seen him in pass blocking. He is a liability. He had gotten better but then SD he had some big whiffs. He is a rookie, its going to take time.

Remember Raheem the Dream Moore was the youngest player in the league last year too. He has gotten way better this year. I think youth has a lot to do with it.

Especially pass blocking because few RBs really learn how to do that in college.

Bacchus
11-27-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm admitedly a Tatum Bell apologist but the guy wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. He had some talent and decent numbers for us. But yeah, he wasn't a true feature back. I'll say this, I'm hoping Hillman pans out but he's got a way to go before he's even on par with what Bell did. Plus Tatum helped me shave 10% off of my bill by setting me up with a family plan.

In 2005 Bell average 5.8 yards per carry and was a huge part of that AFC West Championship team. I never understand why people want to tear other people down.

Tatum could not pound the ball but he had speed to burn and he got to be a good blocker in passing situations. He was not a good receiver though.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-27-2012, 02:02 AM
I guess those three years of 1200+ a year are chopped liver. 8100 yards for his career , how about Marine Mike.

Iirc he had one really good year and then your hero mikey shipped his ass out.

Lol. You said Anderson "wasn't a real back" and "couldn't hold a candle" to Willis. Which is completely opposite from fact. Btw which year are you referring to as his only good year: the 1487 yds in 12 games, or the season where the Anderson/Bell combo put up almost 2000 rushing yards?

extralife
11-27-2012, 02:04 AM
even if people hated tatum during his first stint with the team (here's my theory on that: he wasn't Clinton Portis or TD. we were spoiled as ****), I don't know how anyone could hate on him after we pulled him off the streets in 08 and he ran with fire and purpose while the rest of the team quit.

ScottXray
11-27-2012, 07:10 AM
He has shown nothing. Actually, most of his runs occur in passing formations so he should actually have a higher YPC average since the defense is most likley expecting a pass and in the nickle.

Hopefully, he'll improve but he does not break tackles and he seems his football speed is slower than his 40 time. Maybe that is because he is hesitant.

Actually, Hillman being in the backfield is probably a key that it IS going to be a run, because, as noted, he can't block. So he either is a decoy, or will carry. We also don't seem to know what a RB screen pass is. Either way he is a key, and that means his inexperience is even more of a problem.

Also, I think PM actually is lousy at play action fakes, because he is not good at faking the hand off, rarely getting the ball close to the backs gut. Observant defenses know he is passing anyway, so the delay is slight. Peyton is just so good at reading the D he mostly still gets the pass complete.

lonestar
11-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Actually, Hillman being in the backfield is probably a key that it IS going to be a run, because, as noted, he can't block. So he either is a decoy, or will carry. We also don't seem to know what a RB screen pass is. Either way he is a key, and that means his inexperience is even more of a problem.

Also, I think PM actually is lousy at play action fakes, because he is not good at faking the hand off, rarely getting the ball close to the backs gut. Observant defenses know he is passing anyway, so the delay is slight. Peyton is just so good at reading the D he mostly still gets the pass complete.

With PM all he needs them to do is blink and he has completed the pass. Any delay or confusion is enough.

The real key is having a decent running game to keep them honest, when Hillman is back there he is a threat and DCs know it. Might only have less than 3.8 ypc average now but that will get better as he adjusts to the speed of the game and his blocking.

winstoncup bronco
11-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I guess this is typical OM these days. Single out someone to be the designated whipping boy and wonder why they're still on the roster, even if they are rookie RB's who weren't expected to contribute much this year.

11 games into his rookie year and people are calling him a disappointment, playing behind a bonafide starter in Willis McGahee. What were people expecting at this point? I guess things are going too good that people need SOMETHING to b**** about.

Unreal.

Bacchus
11-27-2012, 11:25 AM
even if people hated tatum during his first stint with the team (here's my theory on that: he wasn't Clinton Portis or TD. we were spoiled as ****), I don't know how anyone could hate on him after we pulled him off the streets in 08 and he ran with fire and purpose while the rest of the team quit.

I remember on denverbroncos.com People were making fun of him because he was the manager at a Mall store selling phones. Like making an honest living trying to support your family selling phones is a bad thing.

Play2win
11-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I guess this is typical OM these days. Single out someone to be the designated whipping boy and wonder why they're still on the roster, even if they are rookie RB's who weren't expected to contribute much this year.

11 games into his rookie year and people are calling him a disappointment, playing behind a bonafide starter in Willis McGahee. What were people expecting at this point? I guess things are going too good that people need SOMETHING to b**** about.

Unreal.

Yeah, imagine if people didn't have something to b**** about...

They might actually try to enjoy life once and a while...

We can't have that...

LOL

Irish Stout
11-27-2012, 12:00 PM
I've seen Hillman make good protection blocks and I've seen him pick up yards. He isn't playing enough to determine just how good he could be, but he isn't sucking turds out there either. I don't understand the negative critiques just yet. Too much is still unknown.

DENVERDUI55
11-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Unreal.

First of all nobody is saying he needs to be cut. Second he was expected to have a big role in this offense and that is why he was taken in the 3rd round. Hillman was given the opportunity over 11 games and has shown he is over his head in his mental game. Denver needs a reliable running back who can do his job and right now Hillman can't without Manning telling him what to do every play.

Beantown Bronco
11-27-2012, 01:15 PM

Unreal.

Sooo, soooo, true.

First it was Moreno in week one.
Then, once he got benched, people started in on McGahee....especially once he started fumbling.
Then, he gets hurt and people go back to bagging on Moreno again once they hear that he got activated.
Then, Moreno plays well and people move on to Hillman and Ball.

Quoydogs
11-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Sooo, soooo, true.

Then, once he got benched, people started in on McGahee....especially once he started fumbling.
Then, he gets hurt and people go back to bagging on Moreno again once they hear that he got activated.

So you're saying he has met all your expectations ?

Beantown Bronco
11-27-2012, 02:09 PM
So you're saying he has met all your expectations ?

Which one? Hillman?

Sure. Probably because I really didn't have any of him going into this year. He wasn't supposed to start or even see the field much or at all when he was drafted, so anything he was able to give us this year was gravy IMO.

Smiling Assassin27
11-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Sooo, soooo, true.

We knew that the RB position was suspect this year. I'll admit that I expected Hillman to be sproles-like in his quickness and ability to catch passes out of the backfield, but looking back, I'm not sure why. When i check myself and realize the kid's 20, it's clear that Denver hopes Hillman can contribute this year but they really see him as a project.

winstoncup bronco
11-27-2012, 02:53 PM
First of all nobody is saying he needs to be cut. Second he was expected to have a big role in this offense and that is why he was taken in the 3rd round. Hillman was given the opportunity over 11 games and has shown he is over his head in his mental game. Denver needs a reliable running back who can do his job and right now Hillman can't without Manning telling him what to do every play.

Right.

Going into the season, the offense was relying heavily not on Peyton Manning, not Willis McGahee, not DT or Decker, but a rookie RB.

For crissakes, who in their right mind thought this kid was going to be a major contributor? Obviously your high expectations weren't even needed since we're 8-3 and are ranked high in offense. Are you saying Hillman has kept us from 9-2, 10-1 or 11-0?

Hillman was not given the opportunity you think he was given because that opportunity never existed until 2 weeks ago, and even now, the team is going with a more seasoned back in Moreno.

winstoncup bronco
11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
By the way, since some expected than nothing less than Darren Sproles 2.0, check out Sproles' first few years. What a BUST!

Note the blistering rookie campaign of 8 carries for 50 yards and 3 receptions for 10 yards.

BUST!

http://www.nfl.com/player/darrensproles/2506467/careerstats

DBroncos4life
11-27-2012, 04:19 PM
By the way, since some expected than nothing less than Darren Sproles 2.0, check out Sproles' first few years. What a BUST!

Note the blistering rookie campaign of 8 carries for 50 yards and 3 receptions for 10 yards.

BUST!

http://www.nfl.com/player/darrensproles/2506467/careerstats

Did you bother to look at Sproles return stats at all before posting this? I'm a huge believer in Hillman too.

TonyR
11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
First of all nobody is saying he needs to be cut. Second he was expected to have a big role in this offense and that is why he was taken in the 3rd round.

Agree with this. I'm not blasting him or writing him off but I expected more. It's frustrating when the terrible Eagles, for example, start 7th round rookie Bryce Brown last night behind an offensive line missing 4 starters and he goes off for 19-178 and 2 TD's against a team we struggled to run against.

winstoncup bronco
11-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Did you bother to look at Sproles return stats at all before posting this? I'm a huge believer in Hillman too.

No, because Hillman was drafted to be a RB, not a return man. When people compare him to Sproles, they envision the Sproles with New Orleans - running & catching and being a headache to opposing defenses.

winstoncup bronco
11-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Agree with this. I'm not blasting him or writing him off but I expected more. It's frustrating when the terrible Eagles, for example, start 7th round rookie Bryce Brown last night behind an offensive line missing 4 starters and he goes off for 19-178 and 2 TD's against a team we struggled to run against.

So if the team struggled, wouldn't that imply the running game as a whole struggled? Let me guess, you look at Hillman's 5 carries for 5 yards and wonder why he didn't run for 178 and 2 td's.

McGahee only had 56 yards and zero td's. He's a disappointment too.

extralife
11-27-2012, 06:17 PM
I remember on denverbroncos.com People were making fun of him because he was the manager at a Mall store selling phones. Like making an honest living trying to support your family selling phones is a bad thing.

it happened here too, to the point where we had posters calling him at work, laughing, and hanging up. it was really distasteful.

2KBack
11-27-2012, 06:22 PM

Did you see some of those holes? He was completely untouched for 60 yards on that TD run. That O-line may not be able to pas block, but it was on fire in the run game.

DBroncos4life
11-27-2012, 06:39 PM
No, because Hillman was drafted to be a RB, not a return man. When people compare him to Sproles, they envision the Sproles with New Orleans - running & catching and being a headache to opposing defenses.

Not the point. Ray Charles could see that Sproles was a weapon his rookie year. What you are doing is mistaking people's yearning to see the team take advantage of Hillman skills as a cry that he is a bust.

errand
11-27-2012, 06:45 PM

Well when you consider as a 2nd round pick he probably was paid quite alot of $$$$, perhaps a signing bonus, etc...

While I applaud the fact he's willing to swallow his pride and take a job that doesn't pay him as much as he use to make....I have to wonder if he pissed away the NFL money.

errand
11-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Lol. You said Anderson "wasn't a real back" and "couldn't hold a candle" to Willis. Which is completely opposite from fact. Btw which year are you referring to as his only good year: the 1487 yds in 12 games, or the season where the Anderson/Bell combo put up almost 2000 rushing yards?

Not to mention in 2001 he also had 678 yards splitting carries with TD as well.....(TD had 701)

extralife
11-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Well when you consider as a 2nd round pick he probably was paid quite alot of $$$$, perhaps a signing bonus, etc...

While I applaud the fact he's willing to swallow his pride and take a job that doesn't pay him as much as he use to make....I have to wonder if he pissed away the NFL money.

You're right. He should have been able to live off that second round rookie contract for the rest of his life.

errand
11-27-2012, 07:02 PM

Yes, but you need to consider that the Eagles are more committed to running the ball more to protect their rookie QB Foles.....while Hillman is on team where the QB is a Hall of Famer and they run the ball just enough to keep the defense honest and set up play action.

baja
11-27-2012, 07:18 PM
You guys should be careful what you ask for. The only you will see a lot of Hillman is if he is in the back field with Osweiler and Peyton is injured.

winstoncup bronco
11-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Not the point. Ray Charles could see that Sproles was a weapon his rookie year.

Really? Then why wasn't he?

First of all, Hillman was never considered a return specialst on top of everything else, so to hold that against him is BS.

Second of all, when comparing him to Sproles here, it's the running & receving threat that we've seen in New Orleans that people are referring to.

Third of all, even with his returns, he accounted for exactly zero touchdowns his rookie season. And, oh yeah, his 6 yard avg on punts and 24.3 yard avg on KOR is hardly anything to write home about.

Not to mention 3 fumbles thrown in for good measure.

But yeah, based off his rookie season, it was quite obvious from his stats that he would be a stud. ::)

Bottom line is, with guys like Hillman, to definitively say one way or another that he's a bust or superstar after 11 games is utterly ridiculous.

winstoncup bronco
11-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Yes, but you need to consider that the Eagles are more committed to running the ball more to protect their rookie QB Foles.....while Hillman is on team where the QB is a Hall of Famer and they run the ball just enough to keep the defense honest and set up play action.

Hmmm....a dose of common sense here.

But back to reality, Hillman isn't first or second in rookie rushers, so lets just label him a bust and draft someone else next year.

errand
11-27-2012, 07:31 PM
You're right. He should have been able to live off that second round rookie contract for the rest of his life.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but if he received a huge signing bonus, not to mention a 2nd rounder probably averages what, $500k- $700K annually? He should have been able to make some sound investments that would have enabled him to live comfortably enough for several years at least.

Agamemnon
11-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Not the point. Ray Charles could see that Sproles was a weapon his rookie year. What you are doing is mistaking people's yearning to see the team take advantage of Hillman skills as a cry that he is a bust.

Darren Sproles had 8 carries as a rookie. Hilarious!

Agamemnon
11-27-2012, 07:34 PM

But back to reality, Hillman isn't first or second in rookie rushers, so lets just label him a bust and draft someone else next year.

We need to draft another running back in the first three rounds next draft regardless of whether or not Hillman pans out. The guy is never going to be a guy who can carry the load.

extralife
11-27-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but if he received a huge signing bonus, not to mention a 2nd rounder probably averages what, $500k- $700K annually? He should have been able to make some sound investments that would have enabled him to live comfortably enough for several years at least.

and as a result of being able to live comfortably for several years, he probably should have just sat on his ass and done nothing until the money went away, <i>then</i> go work at the mall. what a silly goose!

DENVERDUI55
11-27-2012, 08:50 PM

Who is labeling him a bust? He OS just in over his head and needs more practice time and garbage time reps. He isn't ready this year to be impact player doesn't mean he is a bust or needs to be cut.

DBroncos4life
11-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Really? Then why wasn't he?
LT ever hear of him? Pretty hard to take him off the field EVER.
First of all, Hillman was never considered a return specialst on top of everything else, so to hold that against him is BS.
Never did, just pointing out Sproles is clearly has more skills as a player then Hillman. Never thought of it that way till you forced the issue.
Second of all, when comparing him to Sproles here, it's the running & receving threat that we've seen in New Orleans that people are referring to.
Elway made the statement that viewed him as a Sproles type player not me.
Third of all, even with his returns, he accounted for exactly zero touchdowns his rookie season. And, oh yeah, his 6 yard avg on punts and 24.3 yard avg on KOR is hardly anything to write home about.
Being in the top ten in any aspect of the NFL is a big deal. Even more so when you are a rookie trying to do something to help your team out. I would love any of our rookies to be in the top ten right now in any phase of football.
Not to mention 3 fumbles thrown in for good measure.
Don't care.
But yeah, based off his rookie season, it was quite obvious from his stats that he would be a stud. ::)
Yes it was.
Bottom line is, with guys like Hillman, to definitively say one way or another that he's a bust or superstar after 11 games is utterly ridiculous.

Bottom line is people think Hillman is too good not to have a play or two designed to take advantages of his skills. I'm not sure why that upsets you so much. Personally I like Hillman a lot, that doesn't mean I'm not happy with him not getting more touches in space instead of ran up the gut.

TonyR
11-27-2012, 09:03 PM

When you think about it that should actually be an advantage for the Broncos' RBs and a disadvantage for the Eagles', right? Against the Broncos you have to worry about PM so you can't sell out to stop the run. Against the Eagles, with a rookie QB and a decimated OL, you can't. And yet the Eagles were far more successful running the ball. Now back to the topic, I'm a bit disappointed that their 7th round rookie showed considerably more in one game that our 3rd round rookie has shown all season. That doesn't mean I think Hillman is a bust. It's just simply disappointment that I haven't seen more/better from him.

Heyneck
11-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Darren Sproles had 8 carries as a rookie. Hilarious!

Yeah... but he averaged 6.3 yards on those carries.

DBroncos4life
11-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah... but he averaged 6.3 yards on those carries.

He also had 1500 kick return yards and was damn electric doing it.

Heyneck
11-28-2012, 07:12 AM
He also had 1500 kick return yards and was damn electric doing it.

Plus the receiving yards. If I remember correctly I think he has had more receiving yards than rushing every year of his career. So yeah... his total yards have been amazing. So glad the dumb chargers let him walk!

BroncoBeavis
11-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Plus the receiving yards. If I remember correctly I think he has had more receiving yards than rushing every year of his career. So yeah... his total yards have been amazing. So glad the dumb chargers let him walk!

I think we're talking about the contrast between his successful career and his rookie year though. Nobody's saying Sproles sucks. Just that he didn't do much his rookie year. Yes, he has a ton of receiving yards. But his rookie year? 3 receptions for 10 yards.

Quoydogs
11-28-2012, 11:09 AM

So let me get this straight. Just because I am Disappointed in his output this year I have to label him a Bust ? Why is that ? Why is it that I can't just be unhappy and a little let down on what I was promised before the year started ? Maybe some others here need a dose of common sense.

winstoncup bronco
11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
So let me get this straight. Just because I am Disappointed in his output this year I have to label him a Bust ? Why is that ? Why is it that I can't just be unhappy and a little let down on what I was promised before the year started ? Maybe some others here need a dose of common sense.

What were you promised exactly, and who promised it to you?

Quoydogs
11-28-2012, 11:39 AM
What were you promised exactly, and who promised it to you?

Fox said he was the next Faulk. Elway said this guy was fast and had the best cut backs he had ever scene. They said they were very excited to see him on field and the he would be a instant play maker. :thanku: Don't know that I have seen any of that.

You're getting away from my point. It's ok to be disappointed in someone. Just because you are does not make them a Bust. It's not all Black and White there are colors in between.

winstoncup bronco
11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Fox said he was the next Faulk. Elway said this guy was fast and had the best cut backs he had ever scene. They said they were very excited to see him on field and the he would be a instant play maker. :thanku: Don't know that I have seen any of that.

You're getting away from my point. It's ok to be disappointed in someone. Just because you are does not make them a Bust. It's not all Black and White there are colors in between.

Ok, so Fox & Elway compared him to a HOF'er in Faulk, and how he had the best cutbacks Elway had ever seen, yet he was available in round 3? That should have been a clue right there. Seems like your beef should be more with those two instead of Hillman.

In any event, to be fair, with Hillman's speed, most people thought he would have a little more production at this point, but to hold him to an almost impossible standard a couple of guys foolishly set is unfair to the kid, which is my point.

To judge the kid after 11 games on a team where he's not really being counted on is my take on the whole thing. I think more time should be given, and circumstances a little more different, before there's any handwringing over him. JMO.

Requiem
11-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Good call...never heard of that dude. Rather beastly.

You also forgot Alfred Morris and he almost has 1,000 yards.

TonyR
11-28-2012, 03:09 PM
To judge the kid after 11 games on a team where he's not really being counted on is my take on the whole thing.

That's the thing, though. We need him now. This is a playoff caliber team that just lost its starter. Normally you'd like to think you could count on some production from your 3rd round pick at a position where players often produce right away. Again, I'm not writing him off and calling him a bust. But it's disappointing that we can't really expect much from our 3rd round rookie when we need him.

TonyR
11-28-2012, 03:11 PM
You also forgot Alfred Morris and he almost has 1,000 yards.

Yup, 6th round pick.

DBroncos4life
11-28-2012, 04:16 PM

Holliday has that wow factor in space Sproles had when he was returning kicks and punts. Maybe he can develop a role in a couple years.

DENVERDUI55
11-28-2012, 04:17 PM
To judge the kid after 11 games on a team where he's not really being counted on is my take on the whole thing. I think more time should be given, and circumstances a little more different, before there's any handwringing over him. JMO.

It's fair to say that after a whole offseason and 11 games we expect the guy to know the plays and the audibles. When he is in there if there is an audible Peyton has to spoon feed Hillman and like a 6 year old playing flagfootball actually point and tell him what to do. That should not be the case at this point in the season.

Bronco Yoda
11-28-2012, 04:21 PM
meh.

He has to show something first. But he's really young so I'm not even judging him yet.

Quoydogs
11-29-2012, 10:12 AM
That's the thing, though. We need him now. This is a playoff caliber team that just lost its starter. Normally you'd like to think you could count on some production from your 3rd round pick at a position where players often produce right away. Again, I'm not writing him off and calling him a bust. But it's disappointing that we can't really expect much from our 3rd round rookie when we need him.

Apparently you can't be disappointed on here. If you are then that means they are a bust. We should start a OM Dictionary.

baja
11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Moreno will continue to shock the haters. That is all.

ozomulsion
11-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Right.

Going into the season, the offense was relying heavily not on Peyton Manning, not Willis McGahee, not DT or Decker, but a rookie RB.

For crissakes, who in their right mind thought this kid was going to be a major contributor? Obviously your high expectations weren't even needed since we're 8-3 and are ranked high in offense. Are you saying Hillman has kept us from 9-2, 10-1 or 11-0?

Hillman was not given the opportunity you think he was given because that opportunity never existed until 2 weeks ago, and even now, the team is going with a more seasoned back in Moreno.

DUI55 will give you plenty of WTF? moments in very few posts. He's on record saying Moreno is an absolute waste of a roster spot. He's pretty sure he knows what he's talking about and that's the funniest part.

DENVERDUI55
11-30-2012, 06:40 AM
DUI55 will give you plenty of WTF? moments in very few posts. He's on record saying Moreno is an absolute waste of a roster spot. He's pretty sure he knows what he's talking about and that's the funniest part.

Ahh my dingleberry is back. I guess i will have to wipe better. Tell me what I said about Hillman that was wrong?

ozomulsion
11-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Ahh my dingleberry is back. I guess i will have to wipe better. Tell me what I said about Hillman that was wrong?

It's all just a bunch of opinions as far as Hillman. You're too much of a "realist" for me to talk football with. I can't hang. Moreno is terrible......bla bla bla. I won't read or respond to your response because according to you I'm "spineless" And I'm trying to "Quit being a whiney Vagina and face the facts that Moreno isnt very good."

ozomulsion
11-30-2012, 07:08 AM
I hijacked the thread. As far as Hillman goes, I didn't know what to expect. I sure didn't expect him to be a big contributor, but what I've seen has been kinda disappointing.

Broncojef
11-30-2012, 10:46 AM
We should have focused more on Doug Martin and less on Brock Osweiller during the draft. All everyone said prior to the draft is we are in win now mode and we proceded to fall out of the first round without an impact player. watch Doug Martin this weekend, imagine him standing behind Peyton and how potent this team could have been.

razorwire77
11-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Moreno will continue to shock the haters. That is all.

I'd hardly call 80 yards on 20 carries against the worst team in the league "shocking the haters." If he goes for a buck 40 against the Bucs, that'd be shocking the haters.

Beantown Bronco
11-30-2012, 10:55 AM
watch Doug Martin this weekend, imagine him standing behind Peyton and how potent this team could have been.

Bah. We're going to own him. He'll be lucky to get 60 yards on us.

Beantown Bronco
11-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I'd hardly call 80 yards on 20 carries against the worst team in the league "shocking the haters." If he goes for a buck 40 against the Bucs, that'd be shocking the haters.

To be fair, 80 yds a game does come out to about 1300 for the season. Pretty good for a guy that many said should be out of the NFL.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-30-2012, 11:02 AM

I think he was referring to the fact that Knowshow didn't fumble and/or come up limping... something this hater found shocking. Bonus was his 80 yards against the lolchiefs.

razorwire77
11-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I think he was referring to the fact that Knowshow didn't fumble and/or come up limping... something this hater found shocking. Bonus was his 80 yards against the lolchiefs.

Although he did hit his averages in the ever important lost a shoe and a tripping over his own feet categories.

baja
11-30-2012, 11:29 AM

OK leave out the word 'continue'.

He will shock the haters going forward.

FrankieTwoThumbs
11-30-2012, 12:49 PM
To be fair, 80 yds a game does come out to about 1300 for the season. Pretty good for a guy that many said should be out of the NFL.

Averaging 80 yards a game over 16 games (1300 yards) would be pretty impressive if that was what he did. But I think so far that those 80 yards should only count as 80 and not 1300.

Beantown Bronco
11-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Averaging 80 yards a game over 16 games (1300 yards) would be pretty impressive if that was what he did. But I think so far that those 80 yards should only count as 80 and not 1300.

Point.....missed.

bronco militia
11-30-2012, 01:06 PM
OK leave out the word 'continue'.

He will shock the haters going forward.

hopefully you start another thread about it

ZZZ...

bronco militia
11-30-2012, 01:07 PM

:rofl:

DENVERDUI55
11-30-2012, 02:31 PM

Moreno hasn't shown that he is a 20 carry a game back. He would blow a tire out and be hurt. He looked good against KC but to be honest he was running against 5 and 6 man boxes. There were a lot of yards left out there that Moreno could of picked up. I'll be interested the week to see how he does. An elite back would of went for 125 plus last week on KC.

razorwire77
11-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Honestly, I though KM played well last Sunday. I'm not going to knock him. If he's able to get 70, 75, 80 yards with some consistency throughout the rest of the season and make some decent 3rd down catches we'll be fine. Denver really Hillman needs to take off the diapers though and learn the damn offense well enough to gain Peyton's trust. He's the real wildcard here. I really like the Hillman, Holliday set. Hopefully, we'll see some big plays come out of it.

Beantown Bronco
11-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Moreno hasn't shown that he is a 20 carry a game back. He would blow a tire out and be hurt.

We all know that you're hoping for this. It's not news anymore.

He looked good against KC but to be honest he was running against 5 and 6 man boxes. There were a lot of yards left out there that Moreno could of picked up.

Anyone know an efficient way to fix broken records?

An elite back would of went for 125 plus last week on KC.

Ummm, ok. Is your "point" that Moreno is not an elite back? Is anyone arguing this?

DENVERDUI55
11-30-2012, 09:42 PM
We all know that you're hoping for this. It's not news anymore.

Anyone know an efficient way to fix broken records?

Ummm, ok. Is your "point" that Moreno is not an elite back? Is anyone arguing this?

I wish him the best but if I put makeup on a pig it is still a pig. This is his last chance here in my opinion and he has proved in the past he isn't a number 1 back. I hope he proves me wrong as he looked pretty good agains KC like he always has. We know you absolutely love the guy and have a fathead of him.

Beantown Bronco
12-01-2012, 07:15 AM
I wish him the best but if I put makeup on a pig it is still a pig. This is his last chance here in my opinion and he has proved in the past he isn't a number 1 back.

Ummm, what? He was our #1 back for 2 years. AND he was just our #1 back last week and he performed like one.

DENVERDUI55
12-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Ummm, what? He was our #1 back for 2 years. AND he was just our #1 back last week and he performed like one.

We sure are going to find out if he can handle the load. He hasn't in the past. He hasn't even been over 1k yards in a year which is a very pedestrian bench mark. He is what we got and Denver doesn't face many good run D the rest of the way so he shouldn't have any excuses.

Hamrob
12-01-2012, 08:03 AM
We sure are going to find out if he can handle the load. He hasn't in the past. He hasn't even been over 1k yards in a year which is a very pedestrian bench mark. He is what we got and Denver doesn't face many good run D the rest of the way so he shouldn't have any excuses.Don't both Baltimore and Cleveland have good run defenses. And the Bucs are like #1 against the run. I think knowshon has his work cut out for him. If he can average 4yds a carry the rest of the way and catch 20+ balls, I'd be very happy.

Knowshon to me...doesn't have the elite talent to be the only option....there are very few of those guys left, A.P., Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, or these new kids like Martin and Morris, but he can be a #1 guy in a rotation. To me, he's closest to a smaller Marshawn Lynch. Why? He's not fast, but he plays hard, with an attitude, with tenacity.

In summary, I never supported us taking him #11 overall...but, he's not a bad pick. Had we taken him in the 3rd or 4th round...we would have gotten good value. Just because he's not an Arian Foster, doesn't mean you toss him out and sign another bum!

I would look for a bigger back to add to the stable, along with Moreno and Hillman. Hillman being your change of pace back. I think we are close now...but, it will take a couple weeks to gel. That bigger back could be Hester or maybe Fannin...so, I think our RB situation is o.k. Now, if they get a chance to draft a kid like Doug Martin...then you always consider that too.

peacepipe
12-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Don't both Baltimore and Cleveland have good run defenses. And the Bucs are like #1 against the run. I think knowshon has his work cut out for him. If he can average 4yds a carry the rest of the way and catch 20+ balls, I'd be very happy.

Knowshon to me...doesn't have the elite talent to be the only option....there are very few of those guys left, A.P., Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, or these new kids like Martin and Morris, but he can be a #1 guy in a rotation. To me, he's closest to a smaller Marshawn Lynch. Why? He's not fast, but he plays hard, with an attitude, with tenacity.

In summary, I never supported us taking him #11 overall...but, he's not a bad pick. Had we taken him in the 3rd or 4th round...we would have gotten good value. Just because he's not an Arian Foster, doesn't mean you toss him out and sign another bum!

??? NO! cleveland ranks 19th against the run & baltimore is even worse at 26th against the run.

Beantown Bronco
12-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Bah. We're going to own him. He'll be lucky to get 60 yards on us.

I don't want to say I told you so..... :)

Quoydogs
12-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Just wanted to say after watching last nights game I did see the fast they were talking about. I would call it quick not fast. I saw it a couple times. I hope the kid can develop and be great.

Still not sold but at least I know what we are looking for with him.

His pass blocking is much improved.

TonyR
12-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Just wanted to say after watching last nights game I did see the fast they were talking about. I would call it quick not fast. I saw it a couple times. I hope the kid can develop and be great.

Am I the only one who felt like that 6 yard run he had off left tackle in the 2nd qtr, in Oak territory, could have gone for a lot more? It seems he had lots of potential room to run when he broke outside but ran into the defender instead of away from him. Easy for me to say from the couch, but that's how it looked from my comfortable vantage point.

oubronco
12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
If that's his open field elusiveness then yea he needs alot of work

Quoydogs
12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I understand it did not happen but if you rewatch it you can see what he could be. He has a lot of work and like I said I would not use the word fast I would use the word quick. I just hope he can get up to NFL speed.

Drek
12-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I understand it did not happen but if you rewatch it you can see what he could be. He has a lot of work and like I said I would not use the word fast I would use the word quick. I just hope he can get up to NFL speed.

He needs to add a TON of functional strength. He's got no power at all. Gets knocked around in pass pro and can't really push a pile at all. He isn't up to NFL conditioning at this point and needs to do some real work in the off-season to get there.

Young kid from a lower tier program though, that's the way it is.

Heyneck
12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Am I the only one who felt like that 6 yard run he had off left tackle in the 2nd qtr, in Oak territory, could have gone for a lot more? It seems he had lots of potential room to run when he broke outside but ran into the defender instead of away from him. Easy for me to say from the couch, but that's how it looked from my comfortable vantage point.

Yup, that was a huge hole with most of the defense going the other way, just 1 man to beat and he just ran right into him. Think he was surprised by what was served in a silver platter right in front of him. You could tell by his reaction after getting tackled. He will get better, but he is in no way built to be a featured back. He needs to gain some pounds and strengthen his lower body.

Denver Bronco56
12-07-2012, 01:07 PM
I think he is learning the O and getting used to the NFL game, he will grow and develop he is only 20 years old.

TonyR
12-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Yup, that was a huge hole with most of the defense going the other way, just 1 man to beat and he just ran right into him. Think he was surprised by what was served in a silver platter right in front of him. You could tell by his reaction after getting tackled.

I was puzzled. Small, quick guy, lots of room to run. But instead or running by, or away from, the one guy in your path you run right at him? At worst he should have ran towards the sideline and gained a few more yards. It just seems like one cut and he could've possibly broken it for a TD.

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 01:41 PM
I was puzzled. Small, quick guy, lots of room to run. But instead or running by, or away from, the one guy in your path you run right at him? At worst he should have ran towards the sideline and gained a few more yards. It just seems like one cut and he could've possibly broken it for a TD.

I guess it was just a case of the yips. He's a keeper for sure, though. He'll have to muscle up a little bit, dude is about the size of Eddie Royal. Maybe we can compare him to Warrick Dunn, but not Marshall Faulk. Reggie Bush maybe.

TonyR
12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Reggie Bush maybe.

That's a pretty high standard. Bush had 1,307 combined rushing and receiving yards his rookie year (which he bested last year with 1,382), and he's listed at 203 lbs.

Br0nc0Buster
12-07-2012, 01:54 PM
There was one play I think he would of done damage on
That toss to the left where Moreno had like 2 blockers out in front and a clear outside lane

Somehow he only got like 5 yards out of what initially looked like a play that was going for 20+

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 01:54 PM
That's a pretty high standard. Bush had 1,307 combined rushing and receiving yards his rookie year (which he bested last year with 1,382), and he's listed at 203 lbs.

Right, maybe after Hillman muscles up a little bit he can match that production. Are you counting return yards for Bush?

Nevermind, no you weren't. Hillman really looks like he's about 170-175, so 15 pounds of muscle can't hurt the guy, maybe 10 lbs is more realistic.

TonyR
12-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Are you counting return yards for Bush?

No, just rush and rec. Would love for Hillman to become a Reggie Bush type player.

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
No, just rush and rec. Would love for Hillman to become a Reggie Bush type player.

Yeah, that would be nice. Bush catches a lot of negativity for his draft position, like Moreno does. But the dude has scored 41 TD's rushing and receiving, and 4 return TD's.

For comparison:

Bush - 87 games played, 41 TD's (rushing/receiving)
Moreno - 41 games played, 20 TD's (rushing/receiving)

cmhargrove
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM

You saw it correctly.

I think he is still going through "welcome to the NFL" moments every week. In college, I guarantee that little juke move probably worked a lot. Head towards the defender, give a little shimmy, fake him out of his jock. However, in the NFL, they are all good athletes. He definitely should have split the defenders and hit it full speed.

The good news, I think Studesville is a pretty good coach. I think Hillman will make progress. As I have said before, I think the age/maturity thing is a big deal for him. If you listen to his interviews, he still seems a little overwhelmed by the whole experience.

He's making progress. I just hope he is ready to bust off a couple game changing runs by playoff time. He needs to make his mark.

TonyR
12-07-2012, 02:37 PM
He definitely should have split the defenders and hit it full speed.

Yes. Doesn't appear to be instinctive with him as ideally it would be.

Cito Pelon
12-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Yes. Doesn't appear to be instinctive with him as ideally it would be.

We'll see how the rookie handles himself from here on out. Not an ideal start to a career, but he has good coaching, good teammates. He's lucky to be on a team that has enough playmakers where he doesn't have to be a playmaker right away. How it's all gonna play out in the long run I don't know.