PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Game Notes

pricejj
11-25-2012, 11:26 PM
1. Glad Kuper is back. He's a leader on the field, and didn't appear to give up any hits on Manning. Enjoyed seeing the big fella with his arm around #18.
2. Can't give enough credit to Knowshon. This is just one game. Let's see how you do against Tampa Bay's league leading rush Defense.
3. Broncos are going to have to figure out how to stop the run come playoff time. Dumervil, Woodyard, and Brooking disappear when you run right at them. DJ was a non-factor.
4. Brady Quinn is the worst QB we will face all year (by far).
5. OL needs to improve...not sure how that happens.
6. Hey fwf what were your sources saying about Lance Ball again?
7. Big test against Tampa Bay next week. They are high-powered and will be gunning for a playoff spot.
8. No fumbles for once...I guess that's progress. Still too many drops.
9. Guess we won't be needing to sign a new RB this week either.
10. Nice going Prater.

lonestar
11-25-2012, 11:38 PM
1. Glad Kuper is back. He's a leader on the field, and didn't appear to give up any hits on Manning. Enjoyed seeing the big fella with his arm around #18.
2. Can't give enough credit to Knowshon. This is just one game. Let's see how you do against Tampa Bay's league leading rush Defense.
3. Broncos are going to have to figure out how to stop the run come playoff time. Dumervil, Woodyard, and Brooking disappear when you run right at them. DJ was a non-factor.
7. Big test against Tampa Bay next week. They are high-powered and will be gunning for a playoff spot.
10. Nice going Prater.

1.kupe got his ass handed to him on several runs I suspect he he is not healed up yet.
3. Seems to me that WW had a bunch of run tackles. As for DJ I only saw him once (after rewatchung the game) and he was indeed a non factor on that play.
5. Yep Clady got owned today on several plays at least one was a sack on PM..
9. I'd guess that on of the RBs they worked out last week will be signed.
Let's hope Prater gets out of the funk he seems to be in. After reeling off a bunch in a row seems to have missed a bunch since. (4).

theAPAOps5
11-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Um Kuper had a few plays where he was destroyed off the line. He still looks dinged up.

pricejj
11-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Um Kuper had a few plays where he was destroyed off the line. He still looks dinged up.

Yeah, I would expect that at this point in his recovery. I only noticed Clady and Beadles getting mauled a couple times. These guys really need to get it together as a unit. Manning isn't going to last if Defenses can just tee-off against him.

At least Knowshon's hard-running averted a crisis. McGahee's injury had me worried a week ago.

Brooking is getting more unimpressive as the season wears on. Woodyard will make stops if the play is away from him, but gets manned-up easily when you run it straight at him (at times). All of the big runs in the Patriots game were on the right side of the Defense, as well.

There is definitely work to do, on both sides of the ball.

lonestar
11-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I would expect that at this point in his recovery. I only noticed Clady and Beadles getting mauled a couple times. These guys really need to get it together as a unit. Manning isn't going to last if Defenses can just tee-off against him.

At least Knowshon's hard-running averted a crisis. McGahee's injury had me worried a week ago.

Brooking is getting more unimpressive as the season wears on. Woodyard will make stops if the play is away from him, but gets manned-up easily when you run it straight at him (at times). All of the big runs in the Patriots game were on the right side of the Defense, as well.

There is definitely work to do, on both sides of the ball.

While I'm not excusing anything here.
You might want to think about just when NE gutted us.

Early in the season while JDR was putting things into place. The DL (although today's game did not look good) had zero playing time together. And well IIRC mays was in the middle where most of their runs seemed to go.

I think we have come very LONG way so far from almost dead last year (20 something) to where we are today.

We were due for a trap game and this was about as close to one as you get. Might have been a wake up call for those that have been reading/hearing press and media clipping/sound bites.

Next week is another gut check after that we will know if we can play with the big boys. Myself I think we are a draft and few offseason UFAs away yet.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 12:29 AM
While I'm not excusing anything here.
You might want to think about just when NE gutted us.

Early in the season while JDR was putting things into place. The DL (although today's game did not look good) had zero playing time together. And well IIRC mays was in the middle where most of their runs seemed to go.

Brooking ain't much better than Mays. Offensive efficiency hasn't improved much if any. If both teams were to play today, results would probably be similar.

I think we have come very LONG way so far from almost dead last year (20 something) to where we are today.

The Broncos might be able to make a game of it, but these guys still can't stop the run (let alone the no-huddle run), and the WR's still get stage fright.

We were due for a trap game and this was about as close to one as you get. Might have been a wake up call for those that have been reading/hearing press and media clipping/sound bites.

I didn't see anything different than I've been seeing all year. I think everybody put forth good effort. Looked like a typical road game to me.

Next week is another gut check after that we will know if we can play with the big boys. Myself I think we are a draft and few offseason UFAs away yet.

All the remaining games will be tough. Tampa is a good team. Raiders are always tough in the black hole. Ravens are almost unbeatable at home. Browns are starting to play better. Chiefs beat us in Mile High last year.

Time is limited with Manning. This year might be our best chance. It's going to be tough to find an impact player at the bottom of the 1st round next year, who will be able to get on the field in 2013. The only position that I can see us improving through Free Agency is RB...but we have been fairly lucky with few injuries to key players.

lonestar
11-26-2012, 02:38 AM
Brooking ain't much better than Mays. Offensive efficiency hasn't improved much if any. If both teams were to play today, results would probably be similar.

The Broncos might be able to make a game of it, but these guys still can't stop the run (let alone the no-huddle run), and the WR's still get stage fright.

I didn't see anything different than I've been seeing all year. I think everybody put forth good effort. Looked like a typical road game to me.

All the remaining games will be tough. Tampa is a good team. Raiders are always tough in the black hole. Ravens are almost unbeatable at home. Browns are starting to play better. Chiefs beat us in Mile High last year.

Time is limited with Manning. This year might be our best chance. It's going to be tough to find an impact player at the bottom of the 1st round next year, who will be able to get on the field in 2013. The only position that I can see us improving through Free Agency is RB...but we have been fairly lucky with few injuries to key players.

Well it does not surprise me we do not agree on much listed above. But then if we did it would not be debatable.

Since IIRC we have still have our top three picks that means we should be able to get solid players IF we go BPA. Probably even starter material. Will they be all pros? Probably not but few teams have more than a couple on their teams.

Basically we get 3 chances at the top one hundred players in college ball. Also considering many teams Have to draft to fill big needs they may even double up in those positions of need leaving lots of BPAs guys out there.

I beleive we are at that point in skill level to do that. Do we have a couple of holes to fill sure but there is also UFA to help in that area. Then unless you name is mikey you can get a known quality guy.

Everyone here loves the idea that out MLB has to be a stud. Considering we already have two studs at LB,what are the odds of keeping 3..

Mile High 81
11-26-2012, 03:35 AM
but we have been fairly lucky with few injuries to key players.

?
Warren, Ty (when health best DT on the roster)
Walton, J.D.
Hunter, Jason
Carter, Quinton

Thats four Starters at thin positions on ir. + ;Kup misses a lot of games an traing time and is still not 100 %.

Of course you can always can get more unlucky, but its not like we have no key injuries.

This year might be our best chance.
I have to agree with this.

My dream scenario is:
Get the colts in the WC
Then go to Baltimore (i think we have a shot in a PO game here)
Let Houston beat the Pats
Go to Houston and also have shot there

Besides New England I think Denver can beat any team in the AFC on a good day. They also can lose to every to every team.

Los Broncos
11-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Clady gave up a sack, he didn't move his feet and got burned.

TonyR
11-26-2012, 06:54 AM
To those slamming the OL for the sacks, perhaps they weren't at their best but you have to credit KC to at least some degree for solid coverage. PM appeared to have nowhere to go with the ball a few times and held on to it a little too long.

loborugger
11-26-2012, 07:01 AM
To those slamming the OL for the sacks, perhaps they weren't at their best but you have to credit KC to at least some degree for solid coverage. PM appeared to have nowhere to go with the ball a few times and held on to it a little too long.

I agree. Those were coverage sacks where PM was sacked after 6/7 seconds. I was kinda surprised that PM was still holding the ball as long as we was on those sacks.

Bacchus
11-26-2012, 07:07 AM
10. Nice going Prater.

I thought the defense did a good job against the run. KC averages 154 YPG rushing and outside of 3 runs they kept Charles in check.

BroncoFiend
11-26-2012, 07:17 AM
I remember hearing that this was one of the two weeks that we chose not to practice in pads (all teams must choose two weeks I believe).

Could there be any connection there? I know we only gave up 9 points but the D just looked less aggressive out there.

TonyR
11-26-2012, 07:32 AM
KC has a pretty darn good rushing offense. #4 in the league, which is even more impressive when you consider the fact that they have such a terrible QB. So no surprise that they had some success running on us.

ColoradoDarin
11-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Outside of the QB position (and the entire front office/coaches), KC has a really good team. Thankfully no QB at the top of the draft is in Luck or RGIII's league...

CEH
11-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Even great Denver teams struggled in KC

Think the Giants (9-7 last year) wouldn't want a division win last year against the lowley WASH Redskins (whom they lost twice) to not have the last game against Dallas mean something

New England is the only team I see that week in and week out perform at a high level

Kaylore
11-26-2012, 09:20 AM
KC played perhaps their most mistake free game all season. Denver played one of their worst and we still won. I never take a win in Arrowhead for granted.

gyldenlove
11-26-2012, 09:37 AM
The Chiefs to some extend exposed our weakness against runs outside the tackles, our safeties and linebackers are not able to consistently get to the flat and force runners out of bounds without significant gains. Inside the tackles our rush defence is very strong.

In terms of pass defence the only things we didn't shut down yesterday was short dumpoffs to the sideline that turned into significant gains.

On offence the Chiefs were able to go max coverage pretty consistently and relying on their front 4 for pass rush. Justin Houston especially played a very good game and gave Franklin a lot of problems - a not entirely healthy Kuper also factored in with some plays he would have played differently had he been 100% healthy.

The Chiefs went with 2 deep safeties and man cover on the outside on a lot of plays, it was quite vanilla but it really took away the deep passes. It seemed clear that we were going with a very vanilla offensive plan yesterday, I think had the Chiefs been more of a threat to score some points we would have dialled up the offence a notch or two. We used very little play-action despite using the run as much as we always do and we didn't use a lot of combination routes or WR screens - which is normally something we do to counter tight coverage.

My gut feeling is that when we went into half-time with the lead, they went very conservative knowing the Chiefs have not been able to mount any sort of offensive pressure this season.

A win at Arrow-head is always good, most teams give their best efforts in divisional games so coming away from a game like that with the W without having to really give 100% is good.

lonestar
11-26-2012, 09:59 AM
The Chiefs to some extend exposed our weakness against runs outside the tackles, our safeties and linebackers are not able to consistently get to the flat and force runners out of bounds without significant gains. Inside the tackles our rush defence is very strong.

In terms of pass defence the only things we didn't shut down yesterday was short dumpoffs to the sideline that turned into significant gains.

On offence the Chiefs were able to go max coverage pretty consistently and relying on their front 4 for pass rush. Justin Houston especially played a very good game and gave Franklin a lot of problems - a not entirely healthy Kuper also factored in with some plays he would have played differently had he been 100% healthy.

The Chiefs went with 2 deep safeties and man cover on the outside on a lot of plays, it was quite vanilla but it really took away the deep passes. It seemed clear that we were going with a very vanilla offensive plan yesterday, I think had the Chiefs been more of a threat to score some points we would have dialed up the offense a notch or two. We used very little play-action despite using the run as much as we always do and we didn't use a lot of combination routes or WR screens - which is normally something we do to counter tight coverage.

My gut feeling is that when we went into half-time with the lead, they went very conservative knowing the Chiefs have not been able to mount any sort of offensive pressure this season.

A win at Arrow-head is always good, most teams give their best efforts in divisional games so coming away from a game like that with the W without having to really give 100% is good.

:thumbs: good analysis over all..

I think the stupid penalties like the 3rd and 1 plays that they got penalties called on them killed at least 3 drives..

not sure what our overall record at arrow head is but I'd guess they are way out front in those 40 or so years.. so any win there is good..