PDA

View Full Version : OT CU Buffs fire John Embree

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vine
11-25-2012, 06:06 PM
I guess that's what happens when you have division 2 talent on your roster.

spdirty
11-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Unbelievable. He deserved 1 more year. That bull**** school won't get anywhere.

spdirty
11-25-2012, 06:13 PM
While you're at it fire Bohn too. ****in idiots.

Mogulseeker
11-25-2012, 06:15 PM
I hope they hold onto Eric Bieniemy and Brian Cabral.

I liked the Embree hire... turns out he wasn't worth ****.

I honestly wanted Bieniemy to be the head coach.

Vine
11-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Maybe they can convince Bill McCartney to come back...

Bacchus
Unbelievable. He deserved 1 more year. That bull**** school won't get anywhere.

No, not after that season the guy was clueless, although I no longer root for the Buffs since they went to the Pac. Screw them.

spdirty
Its a bull**** deal. Bohn and his morons probably think they can lure Les Miles or Saban or Shanahan or Kubiak or Belichek from their teams. ****in idiots would have fired McCartney after his 2-10 year as well.

CEH
11-25-2012, 06:21 PM
I guess that's what happens when you have division 2 talent on your roster.

And lose to Sacramento State. What are they Div III?

spdirty
11-25-2012, 06:21 PM
No, not after that season the guy was clueless, although I no longer root for the Buffs since they went to the Pac. Screw them.

Yeah it was a terrible year. And the coaching wasn't good. But who in the hell are you going to get? Plus they had 5 offensive linemen coming in, thats shot to hell. Have another completely dry recruiting class coming up. What a brilliant ****in deal. **** that school and town.

Vine
11-25-2012, 06:22 PM
For the record, I know it says under my screename I live in Nebraska, but I am a Shoulder to Shoulder CU Buff. I hate the Huskers. I used to live in Colorado when I was a child before my parents transplanted me out of there, but I remember my roots. It is sad what has became of the Buffs. They have been bad for so long. I hope they make the right decision on finding someone who can get this ship turned around. At least their basketball team is good.

Vine
11-25-2012, 06:22 PM
And lose to Sacramento State. What are they Div III?

FCS (Former D-1AA)

montrose
11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
No clue where they go from here.

spdirty
11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Well at least the basketball program is getting awesome. But that's 2 head coaching failures. So, **** Bohn. He's the problem, as well as a lot of other things out there. But he's the biggest problem.

Just ****in hire Dave Logan. He might be the only one that would come here now. I mean why not at this point? Could they possibly become a bigger joke than they are now?

Kaylore
11-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Well there goes what little credibility CU had.

SpringStein
11-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Tedford?

bpc
11-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Embree was a great buff player and originator of the bff4life organization. Unfortunately he was in over his head. You can't go 4-21 anywhere while losing to 3 nonbcs schools and a I-AA school in sac st. If a coach is losing to teams they should beat with superior talent, how will they beat the USC's and Oregon teams of the world with less? Wasn't going to happen.

Bring in a veteran program builder that can recruit and has systems for success. CU still has tremendous potential. It's going to take awhile to build it back up though.

bronco militia
11-25-2012, 07:00 PM
the buffs are damned if they do, damned if they don't fire embree..

GO AIR FORCE ;D

24champ
11-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Wow! Thought he'd get another year.

24champ
11-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but CU will now have 3 coaches on the payroll?

Hawkins
Embree
New Coach

I wonder if CU is going after Bellotti?

Tim
11-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Embree seems like a good coach with a bad team. The athletic director should be evaluated as well.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Absolutely needed to be done.

Smurf, EB was 100% part of the problem. He, JE, and Brown were all in over their heads.

This is not like Mac's 2nd year, this team regressed and was destroyed on a weekly basis. It's not like they were losing close games to good teams, they were non-competitive.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
BTW, Embree was told to make staff changes and he would only fire Brown and Cabral. He wanted to make no changes to an offensive staff that was 119th out of 120 in scoring.

barryr
11-25-2012, 07:24 PM
The bottom line is college coaches are as good as they can recruit and they just don't have many NFL caliber players on that team. It is sad what the program has become. It is like it was before McCartney took over.

montrose
11-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Whose on your list Herc?

Rohirrim
11-25-2012, 07:26 PM
After a season like this, a clean sweep is in order. The question is, do the powers that be in Boulder spend the money to bring in the kind of coach that brings legitimacy to the program, and gets the recruiting going again, or do they go cheap?

Play2win
11-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Reminds me of the early 80's, when I could walk to Folsom Field, and get in free at halftime.

spdirty
11-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I like the Tedford idea. A lot better than Chizik.

spdirty
11-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Absolutely needed to be done.

Smurf, EB was 100% part of the problem. He, JE, and Brown were all in over their heads.

This is not like Mac's 2nd year, this team regressed and was destroyed on a weekly basis. It's not like they were losing close games to good teams, they were non-competitive.

Who do you want? Someone or people that have a legit shot at coming here?

Rohirrim
11-25-2012, 07:38 PM
I think they should wait a few weeks for Shanahan. ;D

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Embree was a great buff player and originator of the bff4life organization. Unfortunately he was in over his head. You can't go 4-21 anywhere while losing to 3 nonbcs schools and a I-AA school in sac st. If a coach is losing to teams they should beat with superior talent, how will they beat the USC's and Oregon teams of the world with less? Wasn't going to happen.

Bring in a veteran program builder that can recruit and has systems for success. CU still has tremendous potential. It's going to take awhile to build it back up though.

CU sucks, their athletic program is a joke, it's all a bunch of libtards from Cali running the show. They care more about women's volleyball than football.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 07:40 PM
The bottom line is college coaches are as good as they can recruit and they just don't have many NFL caliber players on that team. It is sad what the program has become. It is like it was before McCartney took over.

There's more talent on that team than 1-11 and being the worst O and D in the nation. No one was expecting a conference title, but there's 4-5 win talent there with good coaching. They pull an upset and maybe they hit 6 wins. They went backwards.

XXXII&III
11-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Well at least the basketball program is getting awesome. But that's 2 head coaching failures. So, **** Bohn. He's the problem, as well as a lot of other things out there. But he's the biggest problem.

Just ****in hire Dave Logan. He might be the only one that would come here now. I mean why not at this point? Could they possibly become a bigger joke than they are now?

I'd add Neuheisel AND Barnett.

Other than firing that Bohnhead dude, I don't know what the answer is. Maybe put 'em in the WAC. Or Mountain West.

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Gary Barnett was great, they should have kept him. But no, they let some dumbass woman kicker destroy the program.

screw CU, it's a joke and no coach worth a damn will touch that program.

SoCalBronco
11-25-2012, 07:42 PM
There's more talent on that team than 1-11 and being the worst O and D in the nation. No one was expecting a conference title, but there's 4-5 win talent there with good coaching. They pull an upset and maybe they hit 6 wins. They went backwards.

I can think of at least one school that has a worse defense than Colorado.

Good luck with your next hire, hope the Buffs can get back to being a good team.

Obushma
11-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Rumor going around Utah is that Gary Anderson's name is on the list. He took the worst Div 1 football program, and turned them into a top 20 team in three years, I would HATE IT if CU hired him, that guy is going places.

barryr
11-25-2012, 07:46 PM
If nothing else, Colorado should do is look at the usual best Div. II schools in football and consider those coaches. Hiring retreads who get fired lately is not likely the answer or a good one at least.

spdirty
11-25-2012, 07:47 PM
I'd add Neuheisel AND Barnett.

Other than firing that Bohnhead dude, I don't know what the answer is. Maybe put 'em in the WAC. Or Mountain West.

The failures I was talking about was hires from Bohn. He shouldn't be allowed to choose CU's next coach.

Barnett wasn't really a failure, I didn't like him but he did get them a Big 12 title and had them a whisker away from playing for the national championship. And Neuheisel could recruit. He was in over his head though and way too immature though.

Rohirrim
11-25-2012, 07:49 PM
The failures I was talking about was hires from Bohn. He shouldn't be allowed to choose CU's next coach.

Barnett wasn't really a failure, I didn't like him but he did get them a Big 12 title and had them a whisker away from playing for the national championship. And Neuheisel could recruit. He was in over his head though and way too immature though.

But he played a mean guitar folk song around the campfire.

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Rumor going around Utah is that Gary Anderson's name is on the list. He took the worst Div 1 football program, and turned them into a top 20 team in three years, I would HATE IT if CU hired him, that guy is going places.

why would Anderson leave Utah for CU? Name one good reason. You can't.

Rohirrim
11-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Legal pot. :puff:

spdirty
11-25-2012, 07:53 PM

Utah State. Its WAC. So Pac 12 is a step up. Then after this he goes to the SEC.

That's the only good reason I can give.

Mogulseeker
11-25-2012, 07:54 PM
They should fork out the money to get the guy from LSU that started his career at CU... if we can get him any possible way, do it. What's his name? Les Miles or something (I don't really follow college football)?

Mogulseeker
11-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Gary Barnett was great, they should have kept him. But no, they let some dumbass woman kicker destroy the program.

Agreed.

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 07:55 PM
I grew up watching CU football. I was in the stands when McCartney had that buffs playing for a Big 8 title and a possible national championship.

now the program is a joke. Why? Because they refuse to put any money into the football program and they have a bunch of pansies running the athletic program which is beholden to a bunch of libtard morons.

I'm telling you, no coach worth a damn will go there, none. The best CU will be able to do is hire a no name coach and hope he builds it into a contender.

razorwire77
11-25-2012, 07:58 PM

I think the correct phrasing is terrible girl kicker.

CU has been a joke for a long time. Can't they find a guy with a whore daughter and run some option bone?

Jekyll15Hyde
11-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Bohn needs to go. Plain and simple

montrose
11-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Been reading some hardcore Buffs boards, the suggestion of Logan there is as laughable as Romanowski here back in 2008.

Rohirrim
11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Rumor from the Daily Camera is that Troy Calhoun of Air Force heads the short list.

Tombstone RJ
If CU had any balls at all they'd hire Jim Tressel and tell the rest of the Pac 12 to suck it. If I was the AD, I'd have that program turned around and competing for a Pac 12 title in 3 years.

Tim
Why don't they just get bob stoops or nick saban?

broncocalijohn
Tedford?

Do they play Stanford enough? I doubt it but not a bad name to throw out there.

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Jim Tressell, do it CU. Do it now.

Broncoman13
11-25-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd hate to see Calhoun leave Air Force. Tressel can at least get recruits and look the other way when the money men are sealing the deal. Seriously though, they better not go cheap again. It's not working out for them!

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 08:11 PM
I'd pay Tressel $5m a year and beg him to rebuild the program.

scorpio
11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
I can't believe Bohn still has a job.

bronco militia
11-25-2012, 08:13 PM
I'd hate to see Calhoun leave Air Force. Tressel can at least get recruits and look the other way when the money men are sealing the deal. Seriously though, they better not go cheap again. It's not working out for them!

no offense to CU, but calhoun would have a hard time recruiting his type of players to attend CU

Obushma
11-25-2012, 08:14 PM

Yeah sorry, he's the HC @ Utah State, should have been more specific with that. Anderson loves the Rocky Mtns, he's a hunter, into winter sports etc. I dont see how CU doesnt at least take a look at the guy.

Little background on the guy before his tenure w/ USU

http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/andersen_gary00.html

Andersen came to Utah State after five seasons as the assistant head coach, defensive coordinator and defensive line coach at Utah, where he helped guide the Utes to a 13-0 record in 2008. Utah finished the season ranked No. 2 in the Associated Press poll after winning the BCS Sugar Bowl with a dominating 31-17 victory against Alabama.

In 2008, Andersen was named a finalist for the Broyles Award, honoring the top assistant coach in college football. He was also named a Rivals.com top 10 non-BCS recruiter in 2008 and tabbed as the No. 1 non-BCS recruiter by Rivals.com in 2005.

Overall, Andersen spent 11 seasons as an assistant coach at Utah after coaching for the Utes from 1997-2002 before becoming the head coach at Southern Utah in 2003 and then returning to Utah in 2004. During his tenure at Utah, Andersen was a part of seven winning bowl teams, including two BCS Bowls as Utah went 12-0 in 2004 and won the Fiesta Bowl, along with its perfect record and Sugar Bowl win in 2008.

During his tenure at Utah, Andersen coached 14 first-team all-conference players (three in 2008), including two Mountain West Conference Defensive Players of the Year in John Frank (1999) and Eric Weddle (2005 and 2006), as well as a consensus All-American in Weddle in 2006. Andersen also coached 10 Ute players drafted in the NFL in Richard Seals, John Frank, Lauvale Sape, Sione Pouha, Jonathan Fanene, Eric Weddle, Paul Soliai, Sean Smith, Brice McCain and Paul Kruger, in addition to several other players who made NFL rosters as free agents.

Andersen's coaching career began in 1988 as the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Southeastern Louisiana, where he coached for one season before going to Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) from 1989-92 as the offensive line coach. His other coaching stints include Idaho State (1992-94, defensive line), Park City HS (1994-95, head coach) and Northern Arizona (1995-96, assistant head coach/defensive line/special teams).

A 1986 graduate of Utah, Andersen earned his bachelor's degree in political science. He played center for Utah from 1985-86 after garnering first-team junior college All-American honors in 1984 at Ricks College

Lestat
11-25-2012, 08:17 PM
they'll probably go after Tim DeRuyter or maybe a Sonny Dykes.
if they're smart through they'll throw a **** load of money at Chad Morris or Kirby Smart.

milehighJC
11-25-2012, 08:21 PM

But why in the world would Dave Logan (or anyone else with any talent or reputation) take this job?

They have no money - they still owe Embree 3 years on his contract. Did they pay off Hawkins, or do they still owe him too? I think they still owe for the luxury box expansion on a stadium they cant sell out even when things are going well.

They have no patience. Embree was fired 2 years into a 5 year contract, while he was still suffering from the horrible recruiting that got Hawkins fired. He was no where NEAR having his roster filled with guys that he recruited or that he was responsible for. Why would ANY coach with an ounce of sanity take a job where the career expectancy is 2-3 years?

They wont be able to recruit decent players. Why would any legitimate player want to play here? They have crappy facilities (compared to the rest of the Pac 10). They will be the doormat to the Pac 10 for the foreseeable future - likely the laughing stock of the league for at least 2 years, and then probably playing for yet another coach... who will be starting all over again... again. You would get no appreciable national attention, and little to no opportunity to ever project your career to the NFL.

I find it hard to believe that any coach CU would want in the job would ever take it. Its where coaching careers go to die. IMHO, Logan would be a fool to take it with the stellar reputation and brand he has here in Colorado. He has a WAY better gig now that he would have to give up to coach at CU.

From what I could tell Embree was a decent enough guy, MAYBE in over his head - but he was the choice, and was hardly given a fair chance to succeed. If they were only going to give him two years, they should have never hired the man as head coach.

It will be interesting to see what Embree has to say tomorrow.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 08:27 PM

He's under a Show Cause, no chance

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 08:30 PM
But why in the world would Dave Logan (or anyone else with any talent or reputation) take this job?

They have no money - they still owe Embree 3 years on his contract. Did they pay off Hawkins, or do they still owe him too? I think they still owe for the luxury box expansion on a stadium they cant sell out even when things are going well.

They have no patience. Embree was fired 2 years into a 5 year contract, while he was still suffering from the horrible recruiting that got Hawkins fired. He was no where NEAR having his roster filled with guys that he recruited or that he was responsible for. Why would ANY coach with an ounce of sanity take a job where the career expectancy is 2-3 years?

They wont be able to recruit decent players. Why would any legitimate player want to play here? They have crappy facilities (compared to the rest of the Pac 10). They will be the doormat to the Pac 10 for the foreseeable future - likely the laughing stock of the league for at least 2 years, and then probably playing for yet another coach... who will be starting all over again... again. You would get no appreciable national attention, and little to no opportunity to ever project your career to the NFL.

I find it hard to believe that any coach CU would want in the job would ever take it. Its where coaching careers go to die. IMHO, Logan would be a fool to take it with the stellar reputation and brand he has here in Colorado. He has a WAY better gig now that he would have to give up to coach at CU.

From what I could tell Embree was a decent enough guy, MAYBE in over his head - but he was the choice, and was hardly given a fair chance to succeed. If they were only going to give him two years, they should have never hired the man as head coach.

It will be interesting to see what Embree has to say tomorrow.

word.

CU has done this to themselves. If they want a great coach they are gonna have to bribe him and give him control to actually "build" the program including the facilities.

The facilities suck. It's a joke.

The only way out is for CU to finally put some money into the program. They took the Pac 10 $$$$ right? Now put that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ into the football program.

losers.

Kaylore
11-25-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't know what CU can say at this point. "Please come rebuild our program. We'll give you the time to do it. Unless you lose a lot, then we'll fire you."

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't know what CU can say at this point. "Please come rebuild our program. We'll give you the time to do it. Unless you lose a lot, then we'll fire you."

it would be a tough sell. However, they did give Hawkins plenty of time and he sucked bad. They'd have to pay the coach big money and promise the coach that $ would be put into upgrading all the football facilities. So money to the coach and money into the program so that the coach can point to the program with pride and say "see, we are serious about winning."

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Jesus, there's a difference between losing like they did and losing and at least showing progress.

And they have PAC 12 money, the program isn't broke anymore. If they were broke, we'd have seen a Year 3 and maybe even a Year 4 of Embree because they couldn't afford a buyout and a new coach.

His recruiting has been just as bad as Hawk's, so let's not pretend that there was that going for him. If he was bringing in talent, he'd still be here.

119th scoring O, 120th scoring D, an inability to adjust during games (check out some of the halftime scores and then where it ended up), and ****ty recruiting does not get you a 3rd year.

Mogulseeker
11-25-2012, 08:45 PM

So I looked up the Tressel guy, and he was at Ohio State. If I'm not mistaken, Ohio State was really good under his tenure...

I would be totally fine with that.

montrose
11-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Here's my question: Can ANY coach succeed at CU? Consider the limitations of 1 year deals on assistant coaches, an academic council projecting prospects' ability to succeed academically and an administration that seemingly wants to win but doesn't need to win. Hell, who won't fail?

Lestat
11-25-2012, 08:48 PM
So I looked up the Tressel guy, and he was at Ohio State. If I'm not mistaken, Ohio State was really good under his tenure...

I would be totally fine with that.

he's also the reason why they're 12-0 and can't play for the B1G nor national title.
you think Ricky N was a snake? he's a saint compared to Tressel.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Here's my question: Can ANY coach succeed at CU? Consider the limitations of 1 year deals on assistant coaches, an academic council projecting prospects' ability to succeed academically and an administration that seemingly wants to win but doesn't need to win. Hell, who won't fail?

Won't argue 1 and 3, cause those are legit concerns, but anyone getting by the NCAA Clearinghouse is getting admitted to CU. That wasn't the case years ago, but it is now.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 08:56 PM
CU would have to justify to to NCAA why they shouldn't be put on probation because they hired Tressel. He's under a Show Cause, he's not getting hired by any school.

Mogulseeker
11-25-2012, 08:56 PM
he's also the reason why they're 12-0 and can't play for the B1G nor national title.
you think Ricky N was a snake? he's a saint compared to Tressel.

Neuhisal (sp?).... that's a name I remember, and I hated that coach.

I just want CU to win... I mean, I hate CU in every sport where my alma mater the DU pioneers compete, but my sister is pre-med a CU, both my parents did their undergrad at CU, and my grandfather got his MPA from CU.

So I should specify... I just want an elite college football program in Colorado, preferably not CSU.

I say DU tears down those archaic freshman dorms at the north end of campus, build a 20-30k sized stadium, and enlist the help of Elway and Bowlen, both of whom have kids that went to DU.

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 08:59 PM
I bet Bobby Petrino wouldn't even take the CU job.

DomCasual
11-25-2012, 09:00 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_22064455/jon-embree-out-colorado-buffaloes-football-coach?utm_medium=facebook

From the article in the Post:

Embree said he also told Bohn that as an African-American coach, few head coaching opportunities are offered, and all too often are quickly taken away.

"I mentioned that to Mike. I said, 'You know we don't get opportunities. At the end of the day, you're fired and that's it. Right, wrong or indifferent. Tyrone Willingham was the only one who got fired and got hired again. We get bad jobs and no time to fix them."

Maybe it's just me, but this seems like a bizarre comment to make.

Vine
11-25-2012, 09:00 PM
John Wristen currently head coach at CSU-Pueblo.

SoCalBronco
11-25-2012, 09:06 PM
I bet Bobby Petrino wouldn't even take the CU job.

Petrino will likely get one of the SEC jobs.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 09:07 PM
A couple days ago it was rumored to be Petrino to UK, but Chizik getting fired may have changed that.

DomCasual
11-25-2012, 09:09 PM
If Gary Andersen would take the job, you hire him. I only follow Utah State in passing. But he seems to be doing an incredible job there.

theAPAOps5
11-25-2012, 09:12 PM

With the crazy ass recruiting restrictions the school places on their coaches and the fact that assistants are limited in how much they can get paid, so much so its pathetic, that there is about a .00005 percent chance that Tressel even answers the phone.

dsmoot
11-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Because Anderson is at Utah State in Logan not Utah/Pac12. Even with a great year, Utah State is limited in recruiting top talent. Bigger stage in Boulder, more money potential in football both personally and for program. Thats at least three reasons.

Lestat
11-25-2012, 09:15 PM
A couple days ago it was rumored to be Petrino to UK, but Chizik getting fired may have changed that.

he wants the UK job, doubt they hire him. i know they interviewed Mark Stoops for the vacancy.

enjolras
11-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Petrino will likely get one of the SEC jobs.

I'd lose my mind if he took the CU job. I don't want one red cent of taxpayer money supporting that lowlife.

dsmoot
11-25-2012, 09:16 PM
no offense to CU, but calhoun would have a hard time recruiting his type of players to attend CU

What do you mean "his type of players". Lets face it, he doesn't get access to the cream of the football crop at a military academy. Sure, great kids but only limited football ability.

Tombstone RJ
11-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Because Anderson is at Utah State in Logan not Utah/Pac12. Even with a great year, Utah State is limited in recruiting top talent. Bigger stage in Boulder, more money potential in football both personally and for program. Thats at least three reasons.

I thought Anderson coached at Utah. That being said, see the post right above your post (#77). CU is a joke, and has a strangle hold on the football program.

SoCalBronco
11-25-2012, 09:21 PM
I'd lose my mind if he took the CU job. I don't want one red cent of taxpayer money supporting that lowlife.

LOL. Do you want to win....or not?

Pro tip: Of the elite college coaches in the country, very very few of them are not lowlifes in one way or another.

Lestat
11-25-2012, 09:21 PM

don't hate on him because he was doing his best Bill Clinton impersonation. :strong:

some team will hire him though. he did a much more egregious crime(in the coaching profession) in quitting on his team in Atlanta and survived that to get a prime job at Arkansas.
rumor has it Auburn wants him but can't get the boosters fully behind it.

DBroncos4life
11-25-2012, 09:26 PM
I might get blasted for this but what about Frank Solich? If he can sale Ohio to players you think he would be able to sale Boulder. Or would he be to Husker for you guys?

bronco militia
11-25-2012, 09:27 PM
What do you mean "his type of players". Lets face it, he doesn't get access to the cream of the football crop at a military academy. Sure, great kids but only limited football ability.

The kind of player calhoun recruits would not be interested in the University

Obushma
11-25-2012, 09:28 PM
I thought Anderson coached at Utah. That being said, see the post right above your post (#77). CU is a joke, and has a strangle hold on the football program.

What are CU's recruiting restrictions and limits on asst coaches pay? I beleive Anderson is making just under 1 million @ USU, what can his assistants possibly be making? He brought a whole staff together, he could do it again.

CU doesnt loose Devin Ross (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=880&CID=1441330) today if Gary Anderson is at the helm, and definitely not to Utah.

NFLBRONCO
11-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Sweet

theAPAOps5
11-25-2012, 09:44 PM
What are CU's recruiting restrictions and limits on asst coaches pay? I beleive Anderson is making just under 1 million @ USU, what can his assistants possibly be making? He brought a whole staff together, he could do it again.

CU doesnt loose Devin Ross (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=880&CID=1441330) today if Gary Anderson is at the helm, and definitely not to Utah.

They have been woefully lower than other competitors. They did give them a pay raise when they hired embree but it was something just under 100,000 each for his nine assistants.

http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/media/2010-11/Feb_25_fb.pdf

dsmoot
11-25-2012, 09:47 PM

Yes, CU is a joke right now. Just like they were in the early 80's following Fairbanks. Then McCartney came along while I was there and within two years you could start to see the talent level start to rise when they started to exploit the talent in California and the Houston area. It can be done. McCartney was just an assistant at Michigan. We need to look for someone who has a solid football background and can bring the kids to Boulder. Talk to those guys from the McCartney era. They love Colorado and many are still around. Boulder is an attractive campus, a good college town.

dsmoot
11-25-2012, 09:50 PM
The kind of player calhoun recruits would not be interested in the University

Outside a military career, I disagree with you. What kind of player are you talking about. Pretty vague.

NFLBRONCO
11-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Ok move was made. CU now prove to me you can make an excellent hire.

bronco militia
11-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Outside a military career, I disagree with you. What kind of player are you talking about. Pretty vague.

Calhoun is used to recruiting for the military first. He graduated from the academy and retired from the air force. The air force academy is his perfect match for calhoun. I'm not sure why he would ever leave.

Honestly, I think the next stop for calhoun is the NFL.

theAPAOps5
11-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Yes, CU is a joke right now. Just like they were in the early 80's following Fairbanks. Then McCartney came along while I was there and within two years you could start to see the talent level start to rise when they started to exploit the talent in California and the Houston area. It can be done. McCartney was just an assistant at Michigan. We need to look for someone who has a solid football background and can bring the kids to Boulder. Talk to those guys from the McCartney era. They love Colorado and many are still around. Boulder is an attractive campus, a good college town.

I agree except for the leadership of the school cares more about being a harvard then being excellent academically and athletically. Its sad, I was at CU during the hey day of Slicky Ricky and Barnett.

Lestat
11-25-2012, 10:03 PM
They have been woefully lower than other competitors. They did give them a pay raise when they hired embree but it was something just under 100,000 each for his nine assistants.

http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/media/2010-11/Feb_25_fb.pdf

Arizona has some restrictions as well and they managed to land Rich Rodriguez and most of his key assistants(though granted they're loyal as hell to him and would follow him to hell)
it can be done, the university just has to hire the right guy and make sure they are willing to pour money into the program.

dsmoot
11-25-2012, 10:04 PM
I agree except for the leadership of the school cares more about being a harvard then being excellent academically and athletically. Its sad, I was at CU during the hey day of Slicky Ricky and Barnett.

You do bring up a good point that has changed from the McCartney era. The entrance criteria for the school is more difficult than in those days. I don't know the details of how that has really impacted the football recruitment (wink, wink?). Obviously, it is a fine line a university must walk if it wants to compete in both worlds. Given that, Stanford (a private) is no slouch academically and it seems to compete athletically just fine in the PAC12.

spdirty
11-25-2012, 10:35 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_22064455/jon-embree-out-colorado-buffaloes-football-coach?utm_medium=facebook

From the article in the Post:

Maybe it's just me, but this seems like a bizarre comment to make.

Anything about that comment that isn't true?

SoCalBronco
11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
I think June Jones would be a great hire for CU. He has led SMU to four straight bowls after they didn't do anything for 20 years straight and ofcourse he had a great run with Hawaii that culminated in a Sugar Bowl. I've heard that for whatever reason, he is unlikely to return in 2013.

Colorado running the Shotgun Run and Shoot in that altitude would be tough for opponents to deal with. Plus, Jones would love the coeds at Boulder just as he's loved them at every other stop. :)

Seriously if you guys made that hire, CU would be my second favorite team and I would make a serious effort to watch them. I know he and SMU are on the outs and he would be a terrific choice. Offense, offense, offense!

Goobzilla
11-25-2012, 10:41 PM
The thing that sucks is that slimebag Bohn told Embree yesterday he would be back. How does that guy still have a job?

NFLBRONCO
11-25-2012, 10:44 PM
The thing that sucks is that slimebag Bohn told Embree yesterday he would be back. How does that guy still have a job?

I agree he should be fired. I do think this is his LAST chance to hire right guy for football program.

DomCasual
11-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Anything about that comment that isn't true?

Maybe. Maybe not. It's just an odd place to mention it. Skin color obviously didn't play a part in the hire. It seems unfair to bring it up after you've been fired after a 1-11 season. If nothing else, he's making it just a little more complicated for future potential employers.

razorwire77
11-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Bohn is the real problem. CU will only be competitive against Northern Arizona and CSU until he's gone. Sucks, because I was a huge CU football fan as a kid. But, I'm also a University of New Mexico alum and one can only take so much football suck in their lives.

NFLBRONCO
11-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Bohn is the real problem. CU will only be competitive against Northern Arizona and CSU until he's gone. Sucks, because I was a huge CU football fan as a kid. But, I'm also a University of New Mexico alum and one can only take so much football suck in their lives.

I think the reason Bohn survived this time was

Getting us to Pac 12
Hiring Boyle
Alot of people think Embree deserved 1 more year but, I doubt he'd improve us much anyways. Bohn needs a big time hire this time.

razorwire77
11-25-2012, 11:16 PM
In reality though, the Pac 12 thing was pretty much luck. No way Utah and CU would have gotten in had Larry Scott known how the rest of the conference alignment was going to play out.

NFLBRONCO
11-25-2012, 11:21 PM
In reality though, the Pac 12 thing was pretty much luck. No way Utah and CU would have gotten in had Larry Scott known how the rest of the conference alignment was going to play out.

If it was me I'd fire Bohn too but, this is CU we are talking about.

enjolras
11-25-2012, 11:24 PM

Why not? CU is a traditionally good program across the board. They compete well in a bunch of different sports. They are also academically an excellent school.

CU is a prize and I'm sure the Pac-12 is happy to have them.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 11:26 PM

CU and Texas almost joined the PAC 10 in the 90's before the Big XIII became the Big XII, and CU was the only school in all 3 PAC X expansion scenarios. CU had Hawkins as their HC at the time so it's not like they were killing it at the time, the invite was not all about football.

SoCalBronco
11-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Herc who is your wish list for CU?

razorwire77
11-25-2012, 11:29 PM
CU was supposed to be the first chunk of a Pac expansion that included the top-tier Big-12 football programs. I'm not saying CU wasn't deserving of getting into the Pac, just that it probably would not have happened had Larry Scott known that Texas and company weren't coming.

razorwire77
11-25-2012, 11:30 PM
CU and Texas almost joined the PAC 10 in the 90's before the Big XIII became the Big XII, and CU was the only school in all 3 PAC X expansion scenarios. CU had Hawkins as their HC at the time so it's not like they were killing it at the time, the invite was not all about football.

Interesting.

NFLBRONCO
11-25-2012, 11:32 PM

Herc,

Imo a pretty big time hire is a MUST this time. I don't see how another Embree type hire will help at all. CU must show fans they want a decent program again.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Herc who is your wish list for CU?

I don't even know yet. If love for them to make a splash and hire a current HC away from a BCS school, but that's not realistic with where they are now. A non-BCS HC who has won where he wasn't supposed to probably.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Interesting.

CU and Texas
CU, Texas, A&M, OU, Okie State, Texas Tech (I think they were the 6th)
CU and Utah

Hercules Rockefeller
11-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Herc,

Imo a pretty big time hire is a MUST this time. I don't see how another Embree type hire will help at all. CU must show fans they want a decent program again.

It just needs to be the right hire. A big time hire will help, but they're not digging out of the hole in a year or two. It has to be someone who can build it up. Embree would still be here even at 1-11 if there was progress on the field or through recruiting, and he was failing at both. Too bad, he was a Buff and called it his dream job.

NFLBRONCO
11-25-2012, 11:58 PM
It just needs to be the right hire. A big time hire will help, but they're not digging out of the hole in a year or two. It has to be someone who can build it up. Embree would still be here even at 1-11 if there was progress on the field or through recruiting, and he was failing at both. Too bad, he was a Buff and called it his dream job.

Yeah I'm just frustrated. I wasn't expecting much but, should beat CSU Sac ST come on. Like you said, show progress. All I expect to see now is signs of improvement as season goes on. During CSU game I saw no game changers so I figured wins would be hard to get. I still felt progress and better playcalling and less mistakes should occur as season went on.

I feel bad for Embree he cared and all but, coaching is tough.

24champ
11-26-2012, 12:01 AM
I don't even know yet. If love for them to make a splash and hire a current HC away from a BCS school, but that's not realistic with where they are now. A non-BCS HC who has won where he wasn't supposed to probably.

Mike Bellotti, he was close to being the coach the last go around.

SoCalBronco
11-26-2012, 12:04 AM

He's been out of the game for what 4-5 years? He was a decent coach at Oregon, but I think that's a little too long of a lull.

I think Sonny Dykes would be a good hire, esp if he brings Tony Franklin with him. Exciting Air Raid offense for the fans and that will help with recruiting. As I mentioned earlier, I think best choice would be June Jones from SMU, who I know is on the "outs" with the university, so he could be available even though he has led them to 4 straight bowls.

NFLBRONCO
11-26-2012, 12:04 AM

I wonder what he thinks about job this time around though

NFLBRONCO
11-26-2012, 12:06 AM
He's been out of the game for what 4-5 years? He was a decent coach at Oregon, but I think that's a little too long of a lull.

I think Sonny Dykes would be a good hire, esp if he brings Tony Franklin with him. Exciting Air Raid offense for the fans and that will help with recruiting. As I mentioned earlier, I think best choice would be June Jones from SMU, who I know is on the "outs" with the university, so he could be available even though he has led them to 4 straight bowls.

I think an exciting offense is something that is needed to turn this around

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 12:08 AM

I don't think he was near as interested as they were, he's older, and I doubt the reasons he didn't want it last time have disappeared.

Rolandftw
11-26-2012, 12:43 AM
CU needs to go with a safe hire, as the program is a trainwreck. Tedford knows the Pac-12 and could at least build the program back to respectability.

Buffs just can't take a chance on a left field type of hire

BroncoBuff
11-26-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm not saying CU wasn't deserving of getting into the Pac, just that it probably would not have happened had Larry Scott known that Texas and company weren't coming.

What, you think CU "snuck in" before Scott & company found out Texas was staying put? That's just silly. No, for whatever reason, the Pac 10 has been covetous of Colorado for a long time, perhaps even for decades. There were rumors even in the 70s. Always seemed weird to me, geographically and for other reasons - not the least of which is the Big 8 was a much better football conference.

Those rumors were confirmed to some extent by Pac 10 people when the move was finally made, one said something along the lines, "it was always an open invitation." I recall around '02 '03, when both UCLA and USC played games in Boulder, I recall hearing the rumors then in LA papers and on LA TV.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Embree was trying to implement McCartney's way...that's why he hired Eric Bienemy as his Offensive Coordinator and several other ex-buffs. They thought they were going to run the hell out of the football in Boulder like they did back in the day, and use Embree's knowledge of Shanahan's Offense for the passing game. Experiment fail.

All of them were in over their head. Which sucks, because I was excited, and thought it would work.

Unfortunately, you can't win in the PAC-12 without a kick ass QB and passing Offense.

The next head-coach will be someone who has intimate knowledge of the spread Offense, and can bring in a great QB recruit immediately. CU's problem is that they've never even had a good QB.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm guessing someone like Noel Mazzone.

BroncoBuff
11-26-2012, 01:41 AM
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2070/53377974.jpg

This was the most-hyped lineup the week or two before Nebraska and Colorado bolted (though A&M out and Missouri or Kansas in was later said to have been more likely). It was Texas' decision all the way, 100%. At the last minute they decided to stay and rebuild the conference, principally because there was more TV money for them in the Big XII than the "Big 16." It was also learned that during this week-10 day period, Texas declined a firm offer from the Big Ten.

Utah turned out to be the lucky winners ... the eventual outcome was the only scenario in which they were to have been included. All I'm saying here was in a Neal Woelk column, google it if you like :thumbs:

BroncoBuff
11-26-2012, 01:58 AM
The next head-coach will be someone who has intimate knowledge of the spread Offense, and can bring in a great QB recruit immediately.

Yeah, it's 2012 ... big offense is what they will be/probably should be looking for. Even so, I like Narduzzi the Michigan State defensive coordinator, I'll bet he fields a winner wherever he goes.

With Bohn in charge though, the search will start and maybe end with Calhoun.

A non-BCS HC who has won where he wasn't supposed to probably.

Agreed, especially as opposed to a guy like Hawkins who took over a winner.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Agreed, it's 2012 ... big offense is what they will be/probably should be looking for. Even so, I like Narduzzi the Michigan State defensive coordinator, I'll bet he fields a winner wherever he goes.

With Bohn in charge though, the search will start and maybe end with Calhoun.

Calhoun wouldn't be able to bring in a bigtime QB recruit. He would probably be kinda like the Bzdelik hire (mildly successful, gone quickly) Bohn has to realize by now, that is his only ticket to turn the program around quickly. All he has to do is look at what the Broncos have done with Manning.

Bringing in a PAC-12 Offensive Coordinator (like Mazzone), is his best bet. He won't be looking for a long-term hire this time. Bohn knows his time as AD is limited and will be looking for a hired gun to turn it around quickly. Plus he's gotta get fans in the seats.

Mazzone knows so many QB's (especially from California), he could definitely bring in a top-rated recruit way better than the talentless bozos the Buffs were planning on trotting out next year.

Armchair Bronco
11-26-2012, 02:16 AM
The Buffs are a joke, and they've been a joke for more than a decade. By the time they hired Rick Newheisel, the die was cast. Then, the Buffs shipped him up to my adopted state (I'm a CU grad from 1986) and the UW has been a joke ever since.

I have no idea how the Buffs can right the ship. They're not a religious school, so they can't copy with Notre Dame did to get back to the #1 spot.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-26-2012, 06:23 AM
****ing stupid.

Embree deserved another year. He was trotting out almost all Freshman and Soph players this year, and you're expecting him to win a ton of games in the second best conference in college football? With zero fan support?

This is disappointing. JE deserved better. So do Buffs fans.

Agamemnon
11-26-2012, 06:51 AM
They actually got worse over his two seasons coaching them. That deserves a firing.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-26-2012, 06:58 AM
They actually got worse over his two seasons coaching them. That deserves a firing.

Yeah, graduation can be a real bitch.

Losing your best player before the season starts (Richardson) to a season-ending injury, then watching as your defense is decimated by injury, is totally on the head coach.

Two ****ing years? You gave Hawkins five, and he inherited a winner.

This is bad form.

crowebomber
11-26-2012, 07:01 AM
John Wristen currently head coach at CSU-Pueblo.

I guarantee he will be in the discussion. Back-to-back undefeated regular seasons. They are currently ranked #1 in DII. And he built this program from nothing just 5 years ago. I would hate to see him leave Pueblo so I hope CU opens up its wallet for a big-name guy.

manchambo
11-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I think they need to find someone who can go the Snyder route and bring in some serious junior college help to tide the team over until real recruiting can kick in. The damage is getting close to irreparable and they need to get respectable now. The only time I haven't had season tickets in the past twenty years was when I lived in California for three years. This year I had no desire to go to the games. When I did go it was basically out of a sense of obligation because I had already paid for the ticket. I can watch a bad team. I can't watch a team that has no hope of winning, or even not getting blown out, or even of scoring, as in the Stanford game I attended. At this point the only reason I keep the tickets we have is that they're great seats and I don't want to lose the, if and whe the team gets better. This situation needs to improve soon or they will be losing a lot of fans for good.

Tombstone RJ
11-26-2012, 09:25 AM

June Jones would be interesting. He also helped Hawaii get to respectability. He's good at developing QBs IIRC. Dykes would also be interesting. There's no doubt that CU will have to raid another teams coach, one who is in a non-bsc conference.

ColoradoBuff
11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
****ing stupid.

Embree deserved another year. He was trotting out almost all Freshman and Soph players this year, and you're expecting him to win a ton of games in the second best conference in college football? With zero fan support?

This is disappointing. JE deserved better. So do Buffs fans.

I feel bad for Embree but him being fired needed to happen. He would have been here for another year if he wouldn't have been so loyal to certain assistant coaches. They ( the higher up ) wanted him to fire more assistants than what he wanted to fire. He went down with the ship with his loyalty to these certain assistants. He wanted to fire 2 assistants...only on the Defensive side of the ball. He wanted to retain EVERY offensive assistant and they ( higher up ) didn't see it that way. Sucks it had to happen to a great person that bleeds B&G...but again, it needed to happen. GO BUFFS!

Mogulseeker
11-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Embree was trying to implement McCartney's way...that's why he hired Eric Bienemy as his Offensive Coordinator and several other ex-buffs. They thought they were going to run the hell out of the football in Boulder like they did back in the day, and use Embree's knowledge of Shanahan's Offense for the passing game. Experiment fail.

All of them were in over their head. Which sucks, because I was excited, and thought it would work.

Unfortunately, you can't win in the PAC-12 without a kick ass QB and passing Offense.

The next head-coach will be someone who has intimate knowledge of the spread Offense, and can bring in a great QB recruit immediately. CU's problem is that they've never even had a good QB.

Kordell was awesome... and so was Koy Detmer.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 09:36 AM

For the record, at no point during the season did Bohn ever publicly express support for Embree. The only public statements he's made during the season is that something needed to change. Also, the only person saying that Embree was told by Bohn that he was coming back was Embree. There was never any other independent source (that I know of) that confirmed he was told this. Not calling Embree a liar or that he made it up, but an embattled coach saying he's been told he's coming back by his boss only to be fired shortly afterwards, isn't exactly uncommon.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-26-2012, 09:46 AM
CU-led Study: Firing Head Football Coach Doesn't Change Much (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21998736/cu-led-study-firing-head-football-coach-doesnt)

Rohirrim
11-26-2012, 09:46 AM
As a CU Buffs fan and alum, all I can say is that this season was a complete crusher and stomped out my last spark of hope. I can't imagine what will happen next. Really.

Rohirrim
11-26-2012, 09:47 AM
CU-led Study: Firing Head Football Coach Doesn't Change Much (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21998736/cu-led-study-firing-head-football-coach-doesnt)

Are these the same guys who statistically proved that Romney would win in a landslide? ;D

ColoradoBuff
11-26-2012, 09:49 AM
the name i keep hearing is Tedford.

Mogulseeker
11-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Are these the same guys who statistically proved that Romney would win in a landslide? ;D

I think they are, dude.

Lestat
11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
honestly the Buffs need a defensive oriented head coach who wants to bring a physical style to the team.
an offense guy would be fine as well but the defense needs to be a priority in shaping the team identity.

but most importantly, they have to open the purse strings for some big time assistants.
almost every head coaching failure has been due to not being able to attract high quality assistants.
doesn't matter how good the coach is if he can't get great assistants to help shape his vision of the team.

you can look at any top team and they pay their assistants well or pay them enough to where their loyalty to the head coach usurps their need to leave for a bigger pay day.

BroncoBuff
11-26-2012, 11:22 AM
John Wristen is a Barnett guy, Barnett gave him his start as a graduate assistant on CU's 1990 national championship team. Went to Northwestern with Barnett, then came back with him. When Barnett was fired, he coached TEs for Karl Dorrell at UCLA a couple years, then to Pueblo. Denver native, He does have a domestic violence arrest in his past, but holy cow read this.......

John Wristen faced the monumental task of forging a football program from the ground up when he accepted the job in July 2007. He arrived at CSU-Pueblo with no coaching staff and no players, given the job of building CSU-Pueblo's first football team since 1984 in just a 365-day window.

Unbelievably, it only took three years to turn the team into Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference champions, rising all the way to a national number-one ranking and the nation's top seed in the 2011 NCAA Division II Playoffs. For his efforts, in addition to his national coach of the year distinction, he was one of five national finalists for the Liberty Mutual Division II Coach of the Year award as well as the Regional Coach of the Year by the American Football Coaches' Association and Don Hansen's Football Gazette, Colorado Coach of the Year by the National Football Foundation, and Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Coach of the Year.

He followed it up with aet another 11-0 regular season and RMAC championship. The ThunderWolves were ranked #1 in the nation for the final five weeks of the regular season, marking the second straight season in which the team entered the NCAA Division II Playoffs with the nation's top ranking. In doing so, CSU-Pueblo became just the second team in the history of the AFCA/USA Today Poll (since 2000) to finish two consecutive regular seasons ranked #1, joining Grand Valley State, which did so from 2005-08.
http://www.gothunderwolves.com/sports/fball/coaches/John_Wristen

07: No football in 23 yrs, no staff, players, nothing -
Wristen was hired less than 1 year til opening day 2008

2008: 4-6
2009: 7-4
2010: 9-2
2011: 11-0
2012; 11-0

Lestat
11-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Wristen seems like a Brian Kelly type. good program builder and great coach.
though probably a lot less of a douche.

spdirty
11-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Hard to stomach listening to Bohn and his bull**** right now.

BroncoBuff
11-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Wow, I had no idea ..... he's perfect in every way! :angel:

SOUND THE TRUMPETS! :blowhorn: ....

All ABOOOARD!! :bandwagon

John Wristen ...
John Wristen ...
John Wristen ...
John Wristen ...
John Wristen ...
John Wristen!!

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/chieftain.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/90/a90d297c-2f74-11e0-a987-001cc4c03286/4d4a6fb537441.preview-300.jpg

Tombstone RJ
11-26-2012, 01:27 PM
If CU doesn't try out Wristen than I'm sure CSU will give him a shot in a few years if the current coach continues to suck.

crowebomber
11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Wristen seems like a Brian Kelly type. good program builder and great coach.
though probably a lot less of a douche.

This year Pueblo had better running backs than any of the Colorado D1 schools. His staff is filled with old CU coaches and players (Hunter Hughes, Chris Symington, Donnell Leomiti).

Also, Steve Sewell is the RB coach.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Kordell was awesome... and so was Koy Detmer.

I'm not counting Stewart and Detmer, who are from the McCartney era. The Buffs have been going downhill at QB ever since Hessler started playing.

NFLBRONCO
11-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Les Miles please

bronco militia
11-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Les Miles please

:rofl:

milehighJC
11-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Listening to the interview of Bohn on the Dave Logan Show. I don't know how to conclude anything other than he is a double talking Teflon coated sob.

He obviously was media trained - with set talking points. Given what I heard (not quite all of it), he didn't directly answer a single question put to him. Everything was that "they" did not see the alignment, and structure that they wanted to see. Krieger pushed back asking for more detail as he didn't know what that meant... and Bohn said exactly the same thing again.

What the h*ll does alignment and structure mean in the context of a football coach? I'm a consultant, and I wouldn't dare answer a question with that bs.

NFLBRONCO
11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
:rofl:

I guess this means not likely LOL

pricejj
11-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Listening to the interview of Bohn on the Dave Logan Show. I don't know how to conclude anything other than he is a double talking Teflon coated sob.

He obviously was media trained - with set talking points. Given what I heard (not quite all of it), he didn't directly answer a single question put to him. Everything was that "they" did not see the alignment, and structure that they wanted to see. Krieger pushed back asking for more detail as he didn't know what that meant... and Bohn said exactly the same thing again.

What the h*ll does alignment and structure mean in the context of a football coach? I'm a consultant, and I wouldn't dare answer a question with that bs.

They likely didn't expect the blow-back from the community that they are getting. Bohn always talks like that, and as far as I can tell makes fairly poor decision. He got lucky with Tad Boyle...real lucky.

Poor Decisions:
1. Hawkins
2. Bzdelik
3. Embree

I have a hard time picturing this ending well for Bohn. He now has bad blood against him. Unless the new head coach is REAL popular, community support will dwindle even more...and you can forget about support from the ex-Buffs.

None of Bohn's decisions seem well thought out.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 03:59 PM
They likely didn't expect the blow-back from the community that they are getting. Bohn always talks like that, and as far as I can tell makes fairly poor decision. He got lucky with Tad Boyle...real lucky.

Poor Decisions:
1. Hawkins
2. Bzdelik
3. Embree

I have a hard time picturing this ending well for Bohn. He now has bad blood against him. Unless the new head coach is REAL popular, community support will dwindle even more...and you can forget about support from the ex-Buffs.

None of Bohn's decisions seem well thought out.

I'm not even a Bohn supporter since no AD should get to make 3 football hires, but seriously? They didn't see the blowback coming? Most of the sports radio personalities in town are CU guys (Klatt, CJ, Alfred Williams, Logan), and I know the first 3 campaigned for a CU hire and wanted it to be Embree 2 years ago. I don't remember what Logan was pushing/hoping for. Klatt still can't get over Bohn firing Barnett 7 years ago. They knew what was going to happen to them locally by pulling the plug.

Rolandftw
11-26-2012, 04:11 PM
The Bzeldik hiring wasn't a bad hire at all. He helped get a practice facility, and really change the basketball culture. Boyle's done a great job, but the Bzeldik hire was a good one, at the time.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm not even a Bohn supporter since no AD should get to make 3 football hires, but seriously? They didn't see the blowback coming? Most of the sports radio personalities in town are CU guys (Klatt, CJ, Alfred Williams, Logan), and I know the first 3 campaigned for a CU hire and wanted it to be Embree 2 years ago. I don't remember what Logan was pushing/hoping for. Klatt still can't get over Bohn firing Barnett 7 years ago. They knew what was going to happen to them locally by pulling the plug.

Like I said, none of Bohn's decisions seem well thought out. The reaction from ex-Buffs will probably be enough to get him ousted. I know Bohn personally (passing conversation), and he was sweating bullets back when Hawkins was failing. There is going to be a lot more pressure now, from the entire community, and no goodwill.

We were all for a CU hire, too bad none of the guys were really qualified. It is quite apparent that they were all in over their heads.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Like I said, none of Bohn's decisions seem well thought out. Sounds to me like Bohn wanted Bienemy out, and Embree wanted to keep his staff intact as is. Bienemy gave up a lot for this Buffs failure.

And Embree had done nothing over 2 seasons to give anyone any reason to think that the staff should remain intact on both sides of the ball.

109th and 120th in scoring offense over 2 seasons with a pro-style offense that the NFL coaches on staff should have been able to implement and run, and they thought they should be given more time to try to install a spread attack that no one on staff had experience running or coaching?

This was more than just EB, Bohn doesn't make this move after just 2 seasons without significant support from the Administration and donors.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
And Embree had nothing over 2 seasons to give anyone any reason to think that the staff should remain intact on both sides of the ball.

109th and 120th in scoring offense over 2 seasons with a pro-style offense that the NFL coaches on staff should have been able to implement and run, and they thought they should be given more time to try to install a spread attack that no one on staff had experience running or coaching?

This was more than just EB, Bohn doesn't make this move after just 2 seasons without significant support from the Administration and donors.

True. There was no reason to continue the failed experiment.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 04:24 PM
We were all for a CU hire, too bad none of the guys were really qualified. It is quite apparent that they were all in over their heads.

Embree would have been the perfect coach if he worked out, he was someone that the school never had to worry about jumping ship for a "better" job, Boulder was where he wanted to be.

Mogulseeker
11-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Les Miles please

So I'm educating myself on the options, and I'm on the Les Miles bandwagon... I don't see how snagging him would be possible, though.

Apparently Miles loves Boulder, though, and CU is really where he got his coaching start.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Embree would have been the perfect coach if he worked out, he was someone that the school never had to worry about jumping ship for a "better" job, Boulder was where he wanted to be.

Yeah, hopefully the next coach will be successful AND can keep all the ex-Buffs involved. It's going to be a difficult task. Which sucks because they supposedly had quite the recruiting network in place, what with Hagan, Bienemy, McGhee, etc.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Giving Embree the door after two years and no support from the administration, then following that up with the press conference that showed the admin and especially Bohn to be complete tools, what coach would want this job?

"Let's see... the guy had zero breaks, lost his best player before the season, the team had eight (8) seniors for leadership, was a CU alum... and they showed him the door after two seasons? YEAH, GIMME THAT JOB!"

Riiiiiiiiight.

Not to mention what this huge embarrassing failure of a firing is going to do to recruiting. You think any kid's parents are excited at sending their kid to play for a coach who may not make it to their junior ****ing season?

Bad form. And keeping Bohn on top of it is just ridiculous.

As for the donors, one of my clients is one of their biggest donors... He was the one floating the McCartney-for-two-years-then-Embree idea in closed-door meetings, and is still a big fan of Embree, as well as what Embree was building, while doing things the right way and not cutting corners. He's not pleased.

There need to be some administrative changes (http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/11/26/the-buffaloes-roam-again/) made.

I saw someone mentioned Dave Logan (http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/11/26/logan-is-no-buffalo/). Please, god, no.

manchambo
11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm no huge Bohn fan, but suggesting he might be fired right when they've developed a respectable hoops program is a little silly. And if we're going to write off good basketball moves as good luck, why can't we write of bad football moves as bad luck?

sinuous sausage
11-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Nick Saban would have been sent on his way if he had presided over the boondoggle that was CU's 2012 football season. They were historically bad, and getting worse. I have about a million reasons why I don't feel too badly for Embree. Personally, I'd like to see Calhoun come and make up for CU's talent gap with a disciplined option attack.

Rohirrim
11-26-2012, 06:53 PM
I've been asking for a couple of years how Bohn keeps his job. Does he have pictures of somebody, or something?

Kaylore
11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Dmac was saying that the rumor 'round the campfire is Embree wasn't Bohn's first choice and he was strong-armed into him by the boosters because they wanted a friendly face. If that's true it reflects poorly on Bohn for allowing himself to get pushed into something he didn't want.

Whoever they get, the next guy is going to get four years because it's likely the last selection Bohn get's to make...

Kaylore
11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
I've been asking for a couple of years how Bohn keeps his job. Does he have pictures of somebody, or something?

He's helped the basketball program and other sports do well. Remember it's not all about football.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Dmac was saying that the rumor 'round the campfire is Embree wasn't Bohn's first choice and he was strong-armed into him by the boosters because they wanted a friendly face. If that's true it reflects poorly on Bohn for allowing himself to get pushed into something he didn't want.

Whoever they get, the next guy is going to get four years because it's likely the last selection Bohn get's to make...

That rumor has been around since they hired Embree.

And that Mac for 2 years plan was retarded, thank God it never came to fruition.

Lestat
11-26-2012, 07:12 PM

boosters pay for most of the AD so they're effectively his bosses. you have to kiss ass to fund raise so it doesn't reflect that badly.

having it backfire might set him up to do what he wants to this time around.
assuming that rumor is true.
the regents and boosters have to be on board with any hire.

Lestat
11-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Mark Mangino To Coach Buffs? (http://milehighsports.com/2012/11/26/sources-mark-mangino-cu-express-mutual-interest/)

now that would be interesting. probably won't happen but it would be interesting. PR nightmare probably.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 07:16 PM

Benson's term as President is up next year, if he's replaced then Bohn might be on his way out.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Mark Mangino To Coach Buffs? (http://milehighsports.com/2012/11/26/sources-mark-mangino-cu-express-mutual-interest/)

now that would be interesting. probably won't happen but it would be interesting. PR nightmare probably.

Bohn was on the radio this afternoon saying his target(s) were current HCs.

spdirty
11-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Giving Embree the door after two years and no support from the administration, then following that up with the press conference that showed the admin and especially Bohn to be complete tools, what coach would want this job?

"Let's see... the guy had zero breaks, lost his best player before the season, the team had eight (8) seniors for leadership, was a CU alum... and they showed him the door after two seasons? YEAH, GIMME THAT JOB!"

Riiiiiiiiight.

Not to mention what this huge embarrassing failure of a firing is going to do to recruiting. You think any kid's parents are excited at sending their kid to play for a coach who may not make it to their junior ****ing season?

Bad form. And keeping Bohn on top of it is just ridiculous.

As for the donors, one of my clients is one of their biggest donors... He was the one floating the McCartney-for-two-years-then-Embree idea in closed-door meetings, and is still a big fan of Embree, as well as what Embree was building, while doing things the right way and not cutting corners. He's not pleased.

There need to be some administrative changes (http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/11/26/the-buffaloes-roam-again/) made.

I saw someone mentioned Dave Logan (http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/11/26/logan-is-no-buffalo/). Please, god, no.

Don't worry about Dave Logan OK? Dave Logan will never happen, and not even Dave Logan is advocating for Dave Logan. What Dave Logan said today was that the whole thing is a joke and they need to use that Pac 12 money, go load it up in a wheelbarrow, and go get a household name.

I still don't feel any better about this. Unless Bohn has a guy that he was ready to hire yesterday, and the guy is a big ass name for big ass money that he can't name until they go through the "search process," I guess it would be wise for me to just ignore the football program until Bohn and Benson leave.

But the bigger problem out there is the lack of support for the football program. When you hear about Barnett saying he was gonna leave the blueprints for the next great facility on the desk for the next coach...when you hear about Bzdelik taking a sledgehammer to the lockers in the locker room so they would have to get new lockers, when you hear Embree today saying that there aren't enough meeting rooms for the position coaches to have meetings with their positional players, thats the problem. There is no commitment to the athletic department, they can't claim being broke with the Pac 12 money coming in, so until there is a real commitment to the athletic department from the university, why should we expect results from them?

Although I will say that the basketball program has gotten like a 10 million dollar upgrade in facilities, that isn't enough. They need to get with the ****ing program and join the rest of the country in the arms race for facilities and football players. Until they don't, **** it. Won't matter. All a hire from Utah State or CSU Pueblo or Colorado School of Mines will show is that at best this school is a stepping stone for bigger and better things (ie Wyoming) and at worst this program is committed to being a worthless leech and should get kicked out of the Pac 12.

Lestat
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM

makes sense, but you also have to be open to all candidates should plan A fail.

spdirty
11-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Benson's term as President is up next year, if he's replaced then Bohn might be on his way out.
Good. Bring Gordon Gee back. I heard Irv Brown (Greg Brown's dad) say that a big donor walked into Bohn's office and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. So take that for what its worth.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Good. Bring Gordon Gee back. I heard Irv Brown (Greg Brown's dad) say that a big donor walked into Bohn's office and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. So take that for what its worth.

I think until it broke that he was actually fired, everyone thought he was getting another year. Wouldn't shock me that that's what it took to do it. You can probably assume that offer was both the buyouts and significant funds for a staff that isn't constructed on the cheap if it's true.

ScottXray
11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Can't say where ( personal) but I have a good source that says that an ex NFL head coach is going to throw his name in the hat. Currently coaching in the UFL.

While he has a a checkered history, and nothing lately in any major way, he may still have enough rep to get some decent recruits. Its going to be hard for CU to pull in anyone with any decent rep, since most know it's likely only to be until the team can get respectable again, and then the boosters will want to take the next step. He is also tight with Elway from his time at Stanford, and some other boosters from his days here with the Broncos.

Could be a dark horse.

extralife
11-26-2012, 08:22 PM
instead of spending 3 million a year to get a proven guy, go take that money and use it on professors. there's a thought.

Broncos_OTM
11-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Man the buffs still play football?i aint watched a game in years. Ajnt been on tv to see it.... /sarcasm

Lestat
11-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Can't say where ( personal) but I have a good source that says that an ex NFL head coach is going to throw his name in the hat. Currently coaching in the UFL.

While he has a a checkered history, and nothing lately in any major way, he may still have enough rep to get some decent recruits. Its going to be hard for CU to pull in anyone with any decent rep, since most know it's likely only to be until the team can get respectable again, and then the boosters will want to take the next step. He is also tight with Elway from his time at Stanford, and some other boosters from his days here with the Broncos.

Could be a dark horse.

what would Fassel do as a college coach? he's been in the NFL and UFL so long that he can't possibly in touch with the college game.
would seem like a Greg Robinson type of hire.

spdirty
11-26-2012, 08:30 PM
instead of spending 3 million a year to get a proven guy, go take that money and use it on professors. there's a thought.

Oh well why join the Pac 12 then? Why even have a ****ing athletic department? Why not just disband athletics and do intramurals if you're going that route? Because I'm sick of CU football being a complete joke. Either invest in the bigtime or disband the thing.

The football program funds a lot for universities. And you have to spend money to make money to pay for the great professors. Get donations up for the university. And to get the name out for the highest quality students.

Ask Gordon Gee, widely regarded as one of the best University Presidents in the country, what a great football program means for a university.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Just go watch 60 Minutes from 2 weeks ago about what a good football team means for donations to the school, not just ones to the AD.

Lestat
11-26-2012, 08:42 PM

because educators don't drive donations.
a winning program makes people want to give money so their name can be on a building. those donations also help other facets of the university like scholarships for art majors,musicians and etc.

extralife
11-26-2012, 09:01 PM
because educators don't drive donations.
a winning program makes people want to give money so their name can be on a building. those donations also help other facets of the university like scholarships for art majors,musicians and etc.

as seen by the intellectual powerhouses in the SEC (vandy doesn't count, no one cares about their football team)

sports money stays in the athletic department, or else it is used to pay useless administrators and pretty up campuses so they can sucker more 18 year olds into signing their life into debt.

go team

extralife
11-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Just go watch 60 Minutes from 2 weeks ago about what a good football team means for donations to the school, not just ones to the AD.

and I wonder why 60 minutes, airing after football telecasts, on a network with a TV deal with the SEC, would be interested in positive coverage of college football programs?

Lestat
11-26-2012, 09:14 PM
as seen by the intellectual powerhouses in the SEC (vandy doesn't count, no one cares about their football team)

sports money stays in the athletic department, or else it is used to pay useless administrators and pretty up campuses so they can sucker more 18 year olds into signing their life into debt.

go team

umm no, not all donations are specifically made to the AD. only when renovations or new practice facilities are needed does that occur. most are to the general university, they just use the sports teams doing really well as a reason for the donor to give. like the owner of the dolphins donating money to Michigan so they could construct the new student academic center.

extralife
11-26-2012, 09:17 PM
like the owner of the dolphins donating money to Michigan so they could construct the new student academic center.

which would fall into the "prettying up the campus for suckers" department

hello school, here's a ten zillion dollar building to help our students learn. what's that you say? 60% of our professors are adjuncts making fifteen dollars an hour? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you, I was busy snorting blow off this hooker's ass in our football coach's diamond encrusted office. did you know that up to 20% of our football <s>majors</s> players graduate? and that only half of those were given fake grades to help them along the way?

Mogulseeker
11-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Man the buffs still play football?i aint watched a game in years. Ajnt been on tv to see it.... /sarcasm

Altitude used to carry Buffs games... now everytime I check to see if the Buff's are on, it's either BYU or Boise State.

Lestat
11-26-2012, 09:24 PM

hello school, here's a ten zillion dollar building to help our students learn. what's that you say? 60% of our professors are adjuncts making fifteen dollars an hour? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you, I was busy snorting blow off this hooker's ass in our football coach's diamond encrusted office. did you know that up to 20% of our football <s>majors</s> players graduate? and that only half of those were given fake grades to help them along the way?

so let me understand this. you'd rather essentially force the athletic programs to play with both hands tied behind their back, cause a distinct money drain on the rest of the school and more than likely trickle down into the education side and force them to lay off or slash the compensation for the faculty because you have an issue with the importance placed on the money making athletics department?

yeah that makes complete sense.

NFLBRONCO
11-26-2012, 09:26 PM

CBS4 said, CU reached out to a Div 1 HC but, did not name them.

pricejj
11-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Altitude used to carry Buffs games... now everytime I check to see if the Buff's are on, it's either BYU or Boise State.

True. Kind of hard to get excited about a program that you can only hear about on 850 KOA.

At least Embree coached with class, which is more than I can say about his predecessor. He can be proud about that. Hopefully the coaches who dropped everything to come with him are able to get hired again quickly in a better program.

NFLBRONCO
11-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Did they give him enough time overall: NO this program is a mess
Did he deserve to get fired: Yes SAC ST, CSU blowouts sloppy play

I feel for Embree he loves CU and he seems cool but, it's a business.

KipCorrington25
11-26-2012, 10:51 PM
They had to fire this guy, lost at home to Sacramento State... down 56-0 at the half to Fresno effing State... he should have been fired on the plane back after that game.

They now need to spend the money and get someone with a proven track record and not let the former players like Joel Klatt and Alfred Williams have a say like what happened this time.

In fact I'd make a point to bring in someone with no connections just to further hit the reset button. Yes that can backfire if you hire a moron like Hawkins but if you actually get someone with their **** together they can embrace and respect the tradition but also move the program into the 21st century.

Bottom line the boosters need to step up and spend the money.

NFLBRONCO
11-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Tim DeRuyter Fresno ST was thrown out thoughts? I hope not

BroncoBuff
11-26-2012, 11:21 PM

Yeah I saw that. As much as I love college football, still that was very depressing ...

bpc
11-26-2012, 11:23 PM
DeRuyter has ties to Bohn by way of Air Force where he played, born in Long Beach and coached in Texas. All three critical in regards to the CU job.

His defensive prowess is impressive:

DeRuyter has a history of turning college football defenses around. Before his second arrival at Ohio in 2002, the Bobcats ranked 99th nationally; upon his departure to Nevada, the Bobcats ranked 22nd. At Nevada, the Wolfpack improved from 78th to 48th under his tutelage.[1]

As the defensive coordinator at Air Force from 2007–09, DeRuyter replaced a bend-but-don't-break scheme with an aggressive 3-4 defense. In 2006, prior to his arrival, the Falcons ranked 78th in scoring defense and 78th in total defense. In 2009, the Falcons finished 10th in scoring defense and 11th in total defense. In the 2009 Armed Forces Bowl against Houston, the Falcons limited the nation's second-ranked passing offense to a season-low of 222 passing yards. They also recorded six interceptions.[2][3]

DeRuyter became Texas A&M's defensive coordinator in 2010. The Aggies ranked 104th in scoring defense in 2009, under a 4-3 defense. In 2010, under his 3-4 defense, they improved to 21st in scoring defense.[4][5][6]

spdirty
11-27-2012, 07:23 AM

You should be just tickled pink with the state of CU football right now. The facilities were worst in the conference, and Embree and his staff were the lowest paid in not only the Pac 12, not only the entire BCS conferences, but in all of the front range FBS (Div 1A) schools as well (CSU, Air Force, Wyoming).

Here's some porn for you, Another clown that doesn't get it. Or maybe this was you.

http://www.dailycamera.com/letters/ci_22041618/robert-soderland-folsom-field-expansion-at-cu-is

Rohirrim
11-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Here's a good article on the subject of football, colleges and academics: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/12/would-colleges-be-better-off-without-football/250691/

BroncoBuff
11-27-2012, 10:36 AM
CBS4 said, CU reached out to a Div 1 HC but, did not name them.

It's DeRoyter, good grief ... please please please say no. He has ties to Bohn? I don't care if Bihn changed his diapers and walked him kindergarten, NO.

This program is such a whirling sinkhole of ineptitude, wtf not Wristen? Wtf not?

1) He won, and won BIG where he wasn't supposed to
2) He lifted a sinkhole program (non-existent program actually) to championship caliber in just 2 years.
3) He has CU ties, first job ever was grad asst on Nat'l Championship team

We all know college football is a coach's game. Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Miles, Stoops, Spurrier, June Jones, it's a rare talent bestowed upon few - the ability to always win and win wherever they go. Now we have that rarest of opportunities, to tap a guy who clearly has this gift, and tap him out of the gate. And he's a guy who probably won't be looking to his next stop right away.

BroncoBuff
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Oh I don't know, BroncoBuff ... that is Division II. We need a guy with Division I HC experience.

Yeah, you had that with Juicebox, look what it got you. Bohn considered ZERO candidates other than him even though he inherited the winning Boise program.

We need a self-starter, a stone-mason who lays solid brick from the ground up, who if he wins won't take off his first chance.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-27-2012, 10:47 AM
This program is such a whirling sinkhole of ineptitude, wtf not Wristen? Wtf not?

Because he's a DII coach? Barnett to Hawkins to Embree to a DII coach.

Public perception is everything, and John Wristen walking into a recruit's living room saying he won the National Title at Colorado State University-Pueblo isn't going to do anything for those kids.

Ohio State has the reputation and clout that they can take a chance on someone like Tressel when he was at Youngstown and still survive if it had failed, CU is not in a position to take a chance on someone like that.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Oh I don't know, BroncoBuff ... that is Division II. We need a guy with Division I HC experience.

Yeah, you had that with Juicebox, look what it got you. Bohn considered ZERO candidates other than him even though he inherited the winning Boise program.

We need a self-starter, a stone-mason who lays solid brick from the ground up, who if he wins won't take off his first chance.

Hawk was pretty much universally considered a great hire at the time. He obviously failed, miserably, but that doesn't change the fact that he was considered the "It" candidate when CU hired him. Embree also interviewed for the job that go round too.

And yes, a Division II coach isn't going to resurrect a program that's on life support.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Public perception is everything, and John Wristen walking into a recruit's living room saying he won the National Title at Colorado State University-Pueblo isn't going to do anything for those kids.

Ohio State has the reputation and clout that they can take a chance on someone like Tressel when he was at Youngstown and still survive if it had failed, CU is not in a position to take a chance on someone like that.

Actually, I think if you're ever going to take the chance on an unknown coach, now is the time. When OSU hired Tressel, they'd lost something like 8 straight to Michigan, which is a BIG no no in Columbus. They weren't some shining beacon of a program.

I'd be on board with Wristen. At least he's proven he can build.

Agamemnon
11-27-2012, 11:48 AM

You seem to think they have a lot of great options they can go with instead. Premiere HC candidates don't want to come to CU. Period.

pricejj
11-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Why not DeRuyter?

Requiem
11-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Maybe they will go for Craig Bohl of NDSU. ;)

BroncoBuff
11-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Why not? College football (and basketball) are coach's games, and I truly believe in that rare talent, that guy who wins, always win, and wins wherever he goes. I'm not talking inheriting a winner and winning like a Juicebox or even a Barry Switzer type, nor am I talking about workmanlike coaches who build respectable programs over time ... I'm talking Urban Meyer, Mack Brown, Frank Beamer, Lou Holtz, June Jones, Jim Harbaugh, Les Miles ... these guys won at multiple stops, and won basically immediately upon arrival, regardless what they inherited. I think Hawaii went two years without a win before June Jones showed up, and he won the WAC title his first year. Same with college hoops, Bill Self 4 schools never a losing record, Larry Brown had sick talent like this, congenitally incapable of a losing record. Self, Brown, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier ... they've each had 4 or more stops, and I'll bet there's less than 10 losing seasons between all five.

It's not just being a "great coach," it's more than that ... it's coach/salesman/dictator/Obi Wan Kenobi all rolled into in one, and there's every reason to believe Wristen has this magic. Remember, he's spent 15-20 years as an assistant in the Big 8, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 10 ... and now 5 jaw-dropping HC years in D-II. Let's get in on the ground floor, Recruiting might be slow, but it'll be slow for anybody we hire.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-27-2012, 12:06 PM
You seem to think they have a lot of great options they can go with instead. Premiere HC candidates don't want to come to CU. Period.

And they certainly don't want to after seeing the way they treated Embree. Two years is a ****ing joke.

Rohirrim
11-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Why not? College football (and basketball) are coach's games, and I truly believe in that rare talent, that guy who wins, always win, and wins wherever he goes. I'm not talking inheriting a winner and winning like a Juicebox or even a Barry Switzer type, nor am I talking about workmanlike coaches who build respectable programs over time ... I'm talking Urban Meyer, Mack Brown, Frank Beamer, Lou Holtz, June Jones, Jim Harbaugh, Les Miles ... these guys won at multiple stops, and won basically immediately upon arrival, regardless what they inherited. I think Hawaii went two years without a win before June Jones showed up, and he won the WAC title his first year. Same with college hoops, Bill Self 4 schools never a losing record, Larry Brown had sick talent like this, congenitally incapable of a losing record. Self, Brown, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier ... they've each had 4 or more stops, and I'll bet there's less than 10 losing seasons between all five.

It's not just being a "great coach," it's more than that ... it's coach/salesman/dictator/Obi Wan Kenobi all rolled into in one, and there's every reason to believe Wristen has this magic. Remember, he's spent 15-20 years as an assistant in the Big 8, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 10 ... and now 5 jaw-dropping HC years in D-II. Let's get in on the ground floor, Recruiting might be slow, but it'll be slow for anybody we hire.

I dont' think so. A big name is going to get an immediate reaction, and more recruits. You also have to think about, like the article I posted mentions, a program seen as a loser affects general admissions as well. I don't think they have the time to sit around waiting for something to develop.

NFLBRONCO
11-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Hawk was pretty much universally considered a great hire at the time. He obviously failed, miserably, but that doesn't change the fact that he was considered the "It" candidate when CU hired him. Embree also interviewed for the job that go round too.

And yes, a Division II coach isn't going to resurrect a program that's on life support.

I'd just like to see the list of interested coaches taking this job to start with then go from there. I'm with you I'd prefer Div 1 guiy overall but, like others I think its going to be a hard sell to anyone worth a darn.

As far as Hawkins it seemed good at the time but, when you noticed Boise ST was even better after Hawkins left you go oh no he wasn't the reason.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-27-2012, 01:12 PM
And they certainly don't want to after seeing the way they treated Embree. Two years is a ****ing joke.

Yeah, if the BCA says they wish he got a 3rd year but understand why he was fired after only 2, I'm gonna guess that just about everyone else also realizes why he lasted just 2 years.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-27-2012, 01:14 PM

Who exactly are the premier candidates this year?

The candidates are the same that they are every year: Non-BCS coaches wanting to make the leap, BCS coordinators, and previously fired head coaches.

BroncoBuff
11-27-2012, 01:23 PM
They have very few (if any) options, but you guys are probably right.

It'll be Calhoun or DeRuyter.

GOOD NEWS: Buffs' Basketball ranked #19 in both polls!

broncswin
11-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I dont' think so. A big name is going to get an immediate reaction, and more recruits. You also have to think about, like the article I posted mentions, a program seen as a loser affects general admissions as well. I don't think they have the time to sit around waiting for something to develop.

Agree totally...love you bronco buff, but in these dire straits CU needs a big name here immediately!! Gotta have a big name to pull in stud HS kids, but more importantly dominant juco skills positions.

NFLBRONCO
11-27-2012, 01:35 PM

I doubt Calhoun takes CU job. I don't like the fit either.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Bohn has already said he's not looking at Calhoun this time around

NFLBRONCO
11-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Bohn has already said he's not looking at Calhoun this time around

Good

Any interest in CU job Herc :)

Hercules Rockefeller
11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Any interest in CU job Herc :)

Not if they want to win any games

BroncoBuff
11-27-2012, 01:45 PM
No Calhoun? Good I guess.

The RPI poll keeps this up, I might just forget about football ....

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3862/rpiz.jpg

Mogulseeker
11-27-2012, 01:49 PM

That bodes well for my former roommate, Sabatino Chen.

crowebomber
11-27-2012, 01:52 PM
I hope they don't pick Wristen because I want him to stay down here in Pueblo a few more years. The success of the football program has really changed the whole vibe of the university.

ol#7
11-27-2012, 02:11 PM

Have you watched any CU football in the last 5 years, or are you just talking out of your ass like you usually do?

This team under Embree had no clue. They would have lost to many of the High School teams in the state. That is not at exaggeration.

You throw out 1 injury like that excuses being the WORST team in all of major college football. They werent just bad, they were non-competitive, and actually getting worse.

I applaud the move, they had to do something or give up. Embree is not a HC. He just isn't, and if you were paying attention at all, instead of pretending to be outraged, you would know that.

strafen
11-27-2012, 02:16 PM
I think a new HC is not going to change things a whole lot, not in the dramatic fashion changes need to happen at CU.
They need to start by investing in some world class facilities if they ever want to be competitive again.
The facilities at CU are a joke, highschools have better facilities than that.

ol#7
11-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I hope they don't pick Wristen because I want him to stay down here in Pueblo a few more years. The success of the football program has really changed the whole vibe of the university.

They need a bigger catch than Wristen. If your CSU and have no national ambitions, you can get away with that kind of hire. They have to swing for the fences on this one. The program is soooo far down, that they cant recruit enough to do anything at this point unless they land a guy they can sell. Trouble is, who is going to want to come here?

Too bad Kubiak didnt take the job a few years back. Broncos could have hired hime to replace Shanny, and both organizations would have been better for it.

Whats Barnett doing these days? He could at least win without much talent.

Rohirrim
11-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't mind Mark Helfrich. He might want to come back to Colorado. He would bring some national cache on offense.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Have you watched any CU football in the last 5 years, or are you just talking out of your ass like you usually do?

This team under Embree had no clue. They would have lost to many of the High School teams in the state. That is not at exaggeration.

You throw out 1 injury like that excuses being the WORST team in all of major college football. They werent just bad, they were non-competitive, and actually getting worse.

I applaud the move, they had to do something or give up. Embree is not a HC. He just isn't, and if you were paying attention at all, instead of pretending to be outraged, you would know that.

Hi Schmuck! Thanks for commenting in your usual brainless way!

I'm a season ticket holder in Boulder, so yes, I've watched a bit of the Buffs. They weren't a good team, there's absolutely NO question about that. But it wasn't a problem with coaching; it was a problem with talent. Namely, that there wasn't any.

There were 8 seniors on the 2012 team. Eight. Can you even count to eight? I sorta doubt it.

And yes, when you lose the best player on your team -- in this case, a wide receiver who can take a 3 yard pass and turn it into an 80 yard touchdown -- it makes a difference, MAYBE, but only if you know anything about football, which you clearly don't. Would it have changed the outcome of the season? No, it still would have been a losing program. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that they would have A) been in a lot more games than they were, and B) won at least 2-3 more games than they did.

One of the strongest categories for Embree was his strength as a recruiter, which he'd done previously in Boulder (under Barnett, when they had some pretty good teams), yet we give him one and a half recruiting classes to turn around the **** sandwich that Hawkins left him with?

Brilliant.

Now those recruits that believed in what he was building -- based on character AND football, and leading the PAC in Academic All Americans, which is supposedly so important to the school's administration -- are leaving. The next coach who comes in is going to get half a recruiting class this year, the Buffs will be terrible again next year (new system + new coach + lost experience due to transfers does not = SUCCESS), leading to a weak recruiting class in 2013. And if they don't magically become a winning squad in 2014, will we fire that coach and start over again?

And why in the name of Allah is Mike Bohn still picking coaches?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
They need a bigger catch than Wristen. If your CSU and have no national ambitions, you can get away with that kind of hire. They have to swing for the fences on this one. The program is soooo far down, that they cant recruit enough to do anything at this point unless they land a guy they can sell. Trouble is, who is going to want to come here?

Too bad Kubiak didnt take the job a few years back. Broncos could have hired hime to replace Shanny, and both organizations would have been better for it.

Whats Barnett doing these days? He could at least win without much talent.

Takes some brass to call someone else's points weak and then bring up Barnett in any sort of serious way to take the reigns again in Boulder.

Beginning and end: You're just not very smart, and you have zero common sense.

Tombstone RJ
11-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I think a new HC is not going to change things a whole lot, not in the dramatic fashion changes need to happen at CU.
They need to start by investing in some world class facilities if they ever want to be competitive again.

this

The problem is bigger than the coach, it's systemic at CU. They need to just admit that they can't have their cake and eat it too, that is, they can't put all these restrictions on the football program and expect it to be competitive.

CU's administration is to blame. They want the PAC money but they want to spend it on other things rather than the football program. They want to put acadmec restrictions on the players and they also want to cap salaries for the coach staff. I'm sorry CU, but you are not going to be competitive with this kind of BS!

CU needs to spend money on the football program, they need to relax their recruiting policies and they need to allow for competitive salaries for the football staff. Combine that with an excellent coach and the team will be competitve again, especially in the Pac 10 (or Pac 12 or Pac 16 or whatever the hell it is.).

How come UC Berkely can field a competitive team but CU can't? How come Stanford can field a competitive team but CU can't? I know CU thinks very highly of their academic status and rightly so (kudos for CU academically speaking) but that should not stop them from building a championship calibre football program.

ol#7
11-27-2012, 02:29 PM

The facilities arent great, not compared to BCS level programs, but come on, thats not who they are competing against. They are elite compared to CSU, Wyoming etc, but thet cant compete on the field. There is no excuse for a Pac 12 school to lose to a Sacremento State (badly) of to get blown out by WAC schools. They should never have less than 4 wins with the kind of schedule they had, ever.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Coach Bill McCartney would like to share his opinion on the firing of Jon Embree.

Coach Mac -

"To be honest, I was stunned. I didn't see it coming. I'm still dealing with it. I think Embree is the real deal. I think flat out he has superstar potential as a coach."

Gee, two years might not have been enough.

Not that it'll help a lost cause like ol' #7, since he can't read, but here's the link: http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22071016/former-cu-buffs-coach-bill-mccartney-upset-about#ixzz2DScM6qyP

Mogulseeker
11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
this

The problem is bigger than the coach, it's systemic at CU. They need to just admit that they can't have their cake and eat it too, that is, they can't put all these restrictions on the football program and expect it to be competitive.

CU's administration is to blame. They want the PAC money but they want to spend it on other things rather than the football program. They want to put acadmec restrictions on the players and they also want to cap salaries for the coach staff. I'm sorry CU, but you are not going to be competitive with this kind of BS!

CU needs to spend money on the football program, they need to relax their recruiting policies and they need to allow for competitive salaries for the football staff. Combine that with an excellent coach and the team will be competitve again, especially in the Pac 10 (or Pac 12 or Pac 16 or whatever the hell it is.).

How come UC Berkely can field a competitive team but CU can't? How come Stanford can field a competitive team but CU can't? I know CU thinks very highly of their academic status and rightly so (kudos for CU academically speaking) but that should not stop them from building a championship calibre football program.

This is a very good point... if Stanford can put together a competitive product, than CU should be able to do both. They dont have the prestige Stanford has.

IDK, I like that the school is evidently serious about improving its program, but I liked Jon Embree.

ol#7
11-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi Schmuck! Thanks for commenting in your usual brainless way!

I'm a season ticket holder in Boulder, so yes, I've watched a bit of the Buffs. They weren't a good team, there's absolutely NO question about that. But it wasn't a problem with coaching; it was a problem with talent. Namely, that there wasn't any.

There were 8 seniors on the 2012 team. Eight. Can you even count to eight? I sorta doubt it.

And yes, when you lose the best player on your team -- in this case, a wide receiver who can take a 3 yard pass and turn it into an 80 yard touchdown -- it makes a difference, MAYBE, but only if you know anything about football, which you clearly don't. Would it have changed the outcome of the season? No, it still would have been a losing program. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that they would have A) been in a lot more games than they were, and B) won at least 2-3 more games than they did.

One of the strongest categories for Embree was his strength as a recruiter, which he'd done previously in Boulder (under Barnett, when they had some pretty good teams), yet we give him one and a half recruiting classes to turn around the **** sandwich that Hawkins left him with?

Brilliant.

Now those recruits that believed in what he was building -- based on character AND football, and leading the PAC in Academic All Americans, which is supposedly so important to the school's administration -- are leaving. The next coach who comes in is going to get half a recruiting class this year, the Buffs will be terrible again next year (new system + new coach + lost experience due to transfers does not = SUCCESS), leading to a weak recruiting class in 2013. And if they don't magically become a winning squad in 2014, will we fire that coach and start over again?

And why in the name of Allah is Mike Bohn still picking coaches?

Look whos angry.

You continue to prove you may watch but know nothing. Who was Embree going to recruit with his record on the field? The talent dried up for Hawkins because he didnt win. Suddenly the broke ass school during the Hawkins run looks like a Golden age of success.

P.S. The Buffs were already going to be terrible next year. Just now they may be able to get better (eventually).

Embree is not a head coach, and his assistants were no help to him. The entire staff was outclassed every week no matter who they played. That was a problem with Hawkins too, and I didnt think it could get worse, but it did.

I do agree Bohn should be gone. But if the effing athletic department had any balls at all, Gary Barnett would never have been fired.

ol#7
11-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Takes some brass to call someone else's points weak and then bring up Barnett in any sort of serious way to take the reigns again in Boulder.

Beginning and end: You're just not very smart, and you have zero common sense.

Says the guy who still goes by theElusiveKyleOrton, McBallhugger.

broncocalijohn
11-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Actually, I think if you're ever going to take the chance on an unknown coach, now is the time. When OSU hired Tressel, they'd lost something like 8 straight to Michigan, which is a BIG no no in Columbus. They weren't some shining beacon of a program.

I'd be on board with Wristen. At least he's proven he can build.

What has Wristen built? Unless I missed his great resume, he is at CSU-Pueblo, home of the biggest **** hole, dumb**** residents of Colorado. Pueblo is a cult. If it was just coaching, sure bet but this is about recruiting and battling not CSU but other PAC 10 schools.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Says the guy who still goes by theElusiveKyleOrton, McBallhugger.

Says the guy with a picture of Craig Morton for an avy.

#irony

broncocalijohn
11-27-2012, 02:49 PM

#irony

Craig Morton, the guy who got us to our first Super Bowl vs Kyle Orton.

Hmmm, tough choice.

ol#7
11-27-2012, 02:49 PM

#irony

Where is the irony? What about that do you find ironic? Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the meaning of the word?

You sure do love to support terrible coaches. Thats not ironic, btw, just sad.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Look whos angry.

You continue to prove you may watch but know nothing. Who was Embree going to recruit with his record on the field? The talent dried up for Hawkins because he didnt win. Suddenly the broke ass school during the Hawkins run looks like a Golden age of success.

P.S. The Buffs were already going to be terrible next year. Just now they may be able to get better (eventually).

Embree is not a head coach, and his assistants were no help to him. The entire staff was outclassed every week no matter who they played. That was a problem with Hawkins too, and I didnt think it could get worse, but it did.

I do agree Bohn should be gone. But if the effing athletic department had any balls at all, Gary Barnett would never have been fired.

Barnett never should have been gone, that's true, but that's a lot of water under a bridge that is now miles and miles in the past. In other words, it isn't relevant.

And Barnett is never coming back. Once he was made a former coach in Boulder, his college football coaching career came to an end; nobody will touch him. He's one hell of a coach, but that program did get way out of control under his watch, and no school wants to invite that kind of over-the-top, pearl-clutching scrutiny from the NCAA.

I'd be much softer on Embree being shown the door if Bohn was going with him. "He didn't work out," well YOU hired him. And he's the second coach you've hired who has failed. And now you get to hire a third? How's that work, exactly?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Craig Morton, the guy who got us to our first Super Bowl vs Kyle Orton.

Hmmm, tough choice.

I do so love how you still don't understand the handle I've chosen... despite having it explained to your stupid ass no fewer than 10 times.

You're a child. A child who was dropped on his head.

Rohirrim
11-27-2012, 02:54 PM
I would feel much better if Bohn was following Embree out the door.

ol#7
11-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Barnett never should have been gone, that's true, but that's a lot of water under a bridge that is now miles and miles in the past. In other words, it isn't relevant.

And Barnett is never coming back. Once he was made a former coach in Boulder, his college football coaching career came to an end; nobody will touch him. He's one hell of a coach, but that program did get way out of control under his watch, and no school wants to invite that kind of over-the-top, pearl-clutching scrutiny from the NCAA.

I'd be much softer on Embree being shown the door if Bohn was going with him. "He didn't work out," well YOU hired him. And he's the second coach you've hired who has failed. And now you get to hire a third? How's that work, exactly?

It is still early. I wouldnt be shocked if Bohn was fired as well if there are actually any deep pocket boosters involved. Right now he gets to take the heat while the smoke clears. This recruiting class is busted either way no matter how quick or how long they take to hire a replacement.

broncocalijohn
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
I do so love how you still don't understand the handle I've chosen... despite having it explained to your stupid ass no fewer than 10 times.

You're a child. A child who was dropped on his head.

No you haven't and please explain was is ironic of Ole #7 having the Morton avy?

I love when you get bent out of shape. It comes out of nowhere.

ColoradoBuff
11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Gus Malzahn! :)

Hercules Rockefeller
11-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Defensive Coordinator- Gene Chizik ^5

Rohirrim
11-27-2012, 04:45 PM

He only went to Arkansas State last December. I doubt he'd bail this soon. Plus, he's an Arkansas native.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
It is still early. I wouldnt be shocked if Bohn was fired as well if there are actually any deep pocket boosters involved. Right now he gets to take the heat while the smoke clears. This recruiting class is busted either way no matter how quick or how long they take to hire a replacement.

If they were still going to fire Bohn, I don't think they would have trotted him out for that presser, where he basically made it clear that he was the man behind the decision. Sure, it's possible, but... one of the big name donors I know personally (he's a client of mine) has been pushing for Bohn's ouster for years, and if he couldn't get it done before Embree was gone, I just don't think they'd do it now.

But anything is possible, I suppose.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-27-2012, 05:07 PM
For better or worse, I don't think anything will happen to Bohn as long as Benson is President. I think his term is done early next year, and if there's a new President, that person will make the decision.

Mogulseeker
11-27-2012, 06:25 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22076669/bill-mccartney-blast-colorado-firing-jon-embree?_requestid=7220326#ixzz2DTaAmFO2

This is the part that gets me:

Before Embree was hired, McCartney interviewed for the head coaching position and offered to take the brunt of the lean years that he knew CU had coming, then turn the program over to Embree or another coach. "The reason I offered to coach there was I could see this coming," McCartney said. "I interviewed with that statement. They weren't interested."

WTF - that sounds like it was a pretty sweet deal for CU.