PDA

View Full Version : OT CU Buffs fire John Embree

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Houshyamama
11-27-2012, 07:06 PM
No, not after that season the guy was clueless, although I no longer root for the Buffs since they went to the Pac. Screw them.

:rofl: The Big 12 is a joke, they're lucky to have escaped.

Carmelo15
11-27-2012, 07:55 PM
What has Wristen built? Unless I missed his great resume, he is at CSU-Pueblo, home of the biggest **** hole, dumb**** residents of Colorado. Pueblo is a cult. If it was just coaching, sure bet but this is about recruiting and battling not CSU but other PAC 10 schools.

You watch your mouth about Pueblo! Wristen has built a great program there but he is not qualified to take on CU

theAPAOps5
11-27-2012, 08:07 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22076669/bill-mccartney-blast-colorado-firing-jon-embree?_requestid=7220326#ixzz2DTaAmFO2

This is the part that gets me:

Before Embree was hired, McCartney interviewed for the head coaching position and offered to take the brunt of the lean years that he knew CU had coming, then turn the program over to Embree or another coach. "The reason I offered to coach there was I could see this coming," McCartney said. "I interviewed with that statement. They weren't interested."

WTF - that sounds like it was a pretty sweet deal for CU.

Dude the school doesn't want anything to do with coach Mac. His values and beliefs do not meld well with their academia's beliefs. I was surprised he even was granted an interview.

Tombstone RJ
11-27-2012, 08:25 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22076669/bill-mccartney-blast-colorado-firing-jon-embree?_requestid=7220326#ixzz2DTaAmFO2

This is the part that gets me:

Before Embree was hired, McCartney interviewed for the head coaching position and offered to take the brunt of the lean years that he knew CU had coming, then turn the program over to Embree or another coach. "The reason I offered to coach there was I could see this coming," McCartney said. "I interviewed with that statement. They weren't interested."

WTF - that sounds like it was a pretty sweet deal for CU.

Because the CU administration is a bunch of idiots. McCartney brought them a national championship, then retired due to his religious beliefs, and now CU wants nothing to do with him.

Look at what Bill Snyder has done with KState. McCartney could have done the same thing with CU but no, hell no!

Mogulseeker
11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Did Mac really retire because of his religious beliefs? I'm pretty much a mainline protestant, so I agree with Mac on some things, and disagree with him on a lot of things, but you have to respect what he did with Promise Keepers...

Is CU that heathanistic? I guess I'll find out, since my MS will likely be conferred by CU next year, but DU (admittedly at United Methodist institution) seemed to be pretty good on the religious thing. I wonder what George Gwozdecky's religious beliefs are.

Mogulseeker
11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
If I were the CU athletic director, and McCartney came to me saying he wanted to be the head coach, and would turn the program over the Embree once he got the program rolling again, then asked for 775k to do it... I would have accepted in a second, then offered him three times what he was asking for to do the job.

NFLBRONCO
11-27-2012, 09:24 PM
If I were the CU athletic director, and McCartney came to me saying he wanted to be the head coach, and would turn the program over the Embree once he got the program rolling again, then asked for 775k to do it... I would have accepted in a second, then offered him three times what he was asking for to do the job.

No doubt

Agamemnon
11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Did Mac really retire because of his religious beliefs? I'm pretty much a mainline protestant, so I agree with Mac on some things, and disagree with him on a lot of things, but you have to respect what he did with Promise Keepers...

Is CU that heathanistic? I guess I'll find out, since my MS will likely be conferred by CU next year, but DU (admittedly at United Methodist institution) seemed to be pretty good on the religious thing. I wonder what George Gwozdecky's religious beliefs are.

CU is extremely liberal and gravitates towards a secular humanist outlook as an organization. Fervent Christianity makes their skin crawl.

Mogulseeker
11-27-2012, 10:02 PM
CU is extremely liberal and gravitates towards a secular humanist outlook as an organization. Fervent Christianity makes their skin crawl.

**** it then... let's bring back the DU Pioneers football team - undefeated since 1960. Bowlen and Elway all had kids that went there. Shanahan still lives in Denver in the offseason... call him up to build a program at DU.... why not? DU has half a billion in endowment - they could build up a very competitive team, very fast.

I think the University of Denver compares to Boston College in a lot of ways - academics, endowment, size, prestige, campus type (urban)... yet BC puts together a competitive football program. DU could do it.

SoCalBronco
11-27-2012, 10:03 PM
CU will get as good of a coach as they are willing to pay for. It's that simple. The problem is that unless they are going to give the job to a relative unknown or a successful FCS guy, they aren't going to get the pick of the litter because there are alot of other jobs that are percieved as better jobs which still have to fill their slots. Only way CU can make up for that is money.

You guys need to make a truly serious offer if you want a good coach. 1m a year is garbage.

Mogulseeker
11-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Let's just get a competitive college team in Colorado.

NFLBRONCO
11-27-2012, 10:23 PM
CU will get as good of a coach as they are willing to pay for. It's that simple. The problem is that unless they are going to give the job to a relative unknown or a successful FCS guy, they aren't going to get the pick of the litter because there are alot of other jobs that are percieved as better jobs which still have to fill their slots. Only way CU can make up for that is money.

You guys need to make a truly serious offer if you want a good coach. 1m a year is garbage.

This

NFLBRONCO
11-27-2012, 10:28 PM
CBS4 just said,

CU hopes to land coach in next 10 days
Salary up to 2.5 million
Two choices are coaching this weekend

SoCalBronco
11-27-2012, 10:31 PM
2.5M would be very competitive. That's a solid commitment (thats more than what my team is paying its coach and he's a very good up and coming coach).

Hercules Rockefeller
11-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Only Kelly and Kiffin make more than $2.5M in the PAC

extralife
11-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Is CU that heathanistic?

...is this even a word people say with a straight face anymore?

Mogulseeker
11-27-2012, 11:51 PM

That's three words and an acronym.

extralife
11-27-2012, 11:56 PM
I bet you can guess which one I'm referring to.

Rohirrim
11-28-2012, 05:58 AM
McCartney is going nutso over this firing. Now he says it's because Embree is black. http://www.gazette.com/sports/mccartney-147800-embree-colorado.html

Bill? Did you ever think it's because he went 4-21 over two years?

Rohirrim
11-28-2012, 06:01 AM

My memory of McCartney leaving CU was that he said he wanted to dedicate more time to Promise Keepers. I don't remember anything at all about the university forcing him out because of his beliefs.

dsmoot
11-28-2012, 06:10 AM
My memory of McCartney leaving CU was that he said he wanted to dedicate more time to Promise Keepers. I don't remember anything at all about the university forcing him out because of his beliefs.Mac left for two reasons. First for his family. Coaching is all consuming and he did it to strengthen relationships with his wife and daughter, you were also correct that Promise Keepers was taking his time as it was ramping up from just a couple events a year.

bpc
11-28-2012, 07:04 AM
If i'm CU, McCartney is not welcome back in Dal Ward any time soon. Take your divisive, obtuse, ignorant opinions away from OUR campus. We're trying to build a winner here, not keep felaciating the ground you walk on Mac. Your time is done. Past your prime. Beat it!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-28-2012, 07:54 AM
If i'm CU, McCartney is not welcome back in Dal Ward any time soon. Take your divisive, obtuse, ignorant opinions away from OUR campus. We're trying to build a winner here, not keep felaciating the ground you walk on Mac. Your time is done. Past your prime. Beat it!

Yeah, you jerk! Bohn should be AD for life and nobody should ever question him!

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 11:12 AM

not sure if serious

enjolras
11-28-2012, 11:24 AM

It's not even a word. I assume he meant hedonistic?

razorwire77
11-28-2012, 11:32 AM
I know people are going to jump on me for this, but what about Troy Calhoun?

CU simply doesn't have the horses right now to compete with the top 25 powerhouse programs. If they try to spread it out and throw 45 times, they're going to get boatraced against the Oregons, USCs and Stanfords of the world. It's going to take years for CU to build a competitive program. With Calhoun you'd could install a zone blocking scheme and option attack which would emphasize ball-control and time of possession. This would serve as an equalizer of sorts allowing CU to stand a good chance of beating teams like CSU, Idaho etc., and probably allow them to be much more competitive against the top-tier teams. First season you could potentially be a .500 team and by year two, you're in a minor bowl. From there, you have your recruits in place and you can expand the offense and get back to respectability.

Rohirrim
11-28-2012, 11:41 AM

CU simply doesn't have the horses right now to compete with the top 25 powerhouse programs. If they try to spread it out and throw 45 times, they're going to get boatraced against the Oregons, USCs and Stanfords of the world. It's going to take years for CU to build a competitive program. With Calhoun you'd could install a zone blocking scheme and option attack which would emphasize ball-control and time of possession. This would serve as an equalizer of sorts allowing CU to stand a good chance of beating teams like CSU, Idaho etc., and probably allow them to be much more competitive against the top-tier teams. First season you could potentially be a .500 team and by year two, you're in a minor bowl. From there, you have your recruits in place and you can expand the offense and get back to respectability.

I don't think he'd make much of an impact on recruiting. And then, there's the danger of the program getting stuck in a lesser tier. That would be difficult to work out of and could take decades. I think they have to put some money on the table and bring in somebody who makes an immediate impact. Especially on recruiting, and getting butts in seats. This is as much a PR problem as it is a team building issue. They've got to make a splash.

NFLBRONCO
11-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Herc I believe mentioned earlier Bohnhead said, Calhoun will not be considered this time. I doubt he'd leave Air Force anyways.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-28-2012, 11:43 AM
not sure if serious

Mac's actions have been embarrassing since the firing went down especially now that he (and Embree) are making this a racial issue. Even the Black Coaches Association came out and said they wished he'd received another year, but understood why he was fired. You can't go 4-21, lose 60% of the games by more than 25 points, and expect to be retained. He was fired because he was in way over his head, not because of the color of his skin.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Herc I believe mentioned earlier Bohnhead said, Calhoun will not be considered this time. I doubt he'd leave Air Force anyways.

Yep, he's already said that Calhoun is not a target and they won't be going after anyone with NCAA issues (Tressel).

Kyle Ringo (BDC) and Bruce Feldman (CBS- broke the firing) say that CU is interested in Gary Anderson at Utah State.

Goobzilla
11-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Does anyone really think Bohn and the University will get it right this time? I just can't see them going all in for the football program and if that's the case they should have kept Embree. Nice guy, alum, seems to know all the players names...

razorwire77
11-28-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't think he'd make much of an impact on recruiting. And then, there's the danger of the program getting stuck in a lesser tier. That would be difficult to work out of and could take decades. I think they have to put some money on the table and bring in somebody who makes an immediate impact. Especially on recruiting, and getting butts in seats. This is as much a PR problem as it is a team building issue. They've got to make a splash.

I say this with love for the CU program, but they already are stuck in a lesser tier. I mean we're talking one win this year, 3 wins last year, 5 wins the year before, 3 wins the year before that, 5 wins the year before that. I mean they haven't even fielded a .500 team since 2005.

At this point, it's about basic competitiveness and honestly, a run heavy option attack is probably the greatest talent equalizer CU could possibly incorporate right now. It's not like you're completely married to that system, but it will buy some time as you transition into a more balanced system and develop your recruiting class. There are probably less than 15 FBS programs that CU could beat right now. I mean they got beat by a bad CSU team and Sacramento St. They lost to Fresno by what, 50?

NFLBRONCO
11-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Does anyone really think Bohn and the University will get it right this time? I just can't see them going all in for the football program and if that's the case they should have kept Embree. Nice guy, alum, seems to know all the players names...

I think most of us have our doubts and pretty sure it won't be someone we really want. The bottom line is we need to get headed in right direction. This is and should be last chance for Bohn.

I want and expect a pretty big hire this time. I think you need a strong Coord/HC that has been successful for more then one year. Embree is a nice guy loved the university tired hard but, he wasn't ready to be a HC. I think an OC in college would have been a better starting point for Embree.

Rohirrim
11-28-2012, 12:50 PM
I say this with love for the CU program, but they already are stuck in a lesser tier. I mean we're talking one win this year, 3 wins last year, 5 wins the year before, 3 wins the year before that, 5 wins the year before that. I mean they haven't even fielded a .500 team since 2005.

At this point, it's about basic competitiveness and honestly, a run heavy option attack is probably the greatest talent equalizer CU could possibly incorporate right now. It's not like you're completely married to that system, but it will buy some time as you transition into a more balanced system and develop your recruiting class. There are probably less than 15 FBS programs that CU could beat right now. I mean they got beat by a bad CSU team and Sacramento St. They lost to Fresno by what, 50?

I hope you're wrong. I remember the first long slog to finally get a NC team on the field. Those were the days. Remember Kordell to Westbrook at Michigan? It looks like Hawkins just wiped the program out single-handedly. You can't blame it all on Embree. The program was left in ruins. It's clear that he was in way over his head, though. The idea that Bohn gets to pick again is just idiotic.

NFLBRONCO
11-28-2012, 12:54 PM

If CSU can land a ALA asst no reason CU can't hire someone similar even as bad as things are now.

razorwire77
11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
If CSU can land a ALA asst no reason CU can't hire someone similar even as bad as things are now.

It's not just about the right hire though. CU is lacking the talent and facilities to compete with the big boy programs. I don't have the specifics, but with attendance declining the program has to be bleeding red as well. You have to stop the bleeding and the coach has to realize that competitiveness is key to bringing back respectability. You've gotta come up with a scheme that minimizes talent and depth deficiencies. I think you've gotta schedule relatively lightly and realistically (No roadies to Florida St or Florida). Give the team the chance to string some wins together going into conference.

Case in point would be the University of New Mexico football team. UNM was hands down the worst team in America for 3 years in a row. They won 3 games in 3 years. They hired Bob Davie and he installed an option offense out of the pistol. Again, not as a long term solution, but to get the team competitive despite being 15 scholarships short and with serious talent deficiencies. This year UNM won four games and was highly competitive (3-10 point losses against almost every team they played. They were one possession away from beating Boise and Air Force. To me, CU needs to make a stability hire, rather than swinging for the fences thinking they are only a few players away from beating Oregon.

crowebomber
11-28-2012, 01:38 PM
You watch your mouth about Pueblo! Wristen has built a great program there but he is not qualified to take on CU

I bet CSU Pueblo could beat CU this year. Yeah, I said it.

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 01:55 PM
The very fact that CU is in a BCS division, the Pac-bazillion, should get them a decent coach. That alone, right there, is enough to entice a good coach. That is, any coach who wants a shot at building a program from the ground up and then get a shot at a national championship.

That's one selling point. I'd sell that HARD.

Selling point 2 is that the Pac Bazillion is a relatively soft conference, that is, you only have to compete with maybe USC and Oregon for the top recruits out of California. Coach Mac got all his blue chip players from Souther California. IT-CAN-BE-DONE!! Colorado is also loved by people in TX. Yes, I'll say that again, for whatever reason there's a lot of people in Texas that pay attention to CO. So that's another potential recruiting spot. This is selling point #2.

Selling point #3 is--yes, CU does in fact have a great fan base! When CU is winning the kids do show up, the boosters do show up and the money will show up.

Selling point #4 (if I was the AD): We are going to spend money on the program, that is, we are going to turn the facilities into a top tier level program.

Selling point #5 (if I was the AD): We are going to relax the recruiting policies and we will use Cal Berkeley's standards as a prototype to get the right players.

Selling point #6 (if I was the AD): Our salaries for the entire coaching staff WILL-BE-COMPETITVE!

Like I said, I'd have CU turned around in 3 years. But what do I know, right?

razorwire77
11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Selling point #4 (if I was the AD): We are going to spend money on the program, that is, we are going to turn the facilities into a top tier level program.

Selling point #5 (if I was the AD): We are going to relax the recruiting policies and we will use Cal Berkeley's standards as a prototype to get the right players.

Selling point #6 (if I was the AD): Our salaries for the entire coaching staff WILL-BE-COMPETITVE!

But honestly, these are going to be hard sells given CU's recent track record and treatment of the previous coach. Correct me if I'm wrong, but CU doesn't even have an indoor practice facility, right? The Buffs need to spend millions and millions of dollars to update their facilities. Their weight-room would be mid-tier (at best) for an MWC team.

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 02:14 PM
But honestly, these are going to be hard sells given CU's recent track record and treatment of the previous coach. Correct me if I'm wrong, but CU doesn't even have an indoor practice facility, right? The Buffs need to spend millions and millions of dollars to update their facilities. Their weight-room would be mid-tier (at best) for an MWC team.

You are correct sir! CU has been mulling around the idea of building an indoor practice facility for YEARS. But they still have the team walk down to the practice field below the campus (it's a beautiful walk too). CU will have to build an indoor practice facility but IF it opens it up to other sports teams for use too--who cares? It's another selling point for the football program and the friggen community as a whole! CU's collegiate sports clubs, the soccor teams, the Lacrosse team, and other teams could all have access to the facility when the football team is not using it.

It's an investment that benefits others besides the football team.

Mogulseeker
11-28-2012, 02:16 PM
The very fact that CU is in a BCS division, the Pac-bazillion, should get them a decent coach. That alone, right there, is enough to entice a good coach. That is, any coach who wants a shot at building a program from the ground up and then get a shot at a national championship.

That's one selling point. I'd sell that HARD.

Selling point 2 is that the Pac Bazillion is a relatively soft conference, that is, you only have to compete with maybe USC and Oregon for the top recruits out of California. Coach Mac got all his blue chip players from Souther California. IT-CAN-BE-DONE!! Colorado is also loved by people in TX. Yes, I'll say that again, for whatever reason there's a lot of people in Texas that pay attention to CO. So that's another potential recruiting spot. This is selling point #2.

Selling point #3 is--yes, CU does in fact have a great fan base! When CU is winning the kids do show up, the boosters do show up and the money will show up.

People can do a lot with money. Give me a billion dollars to spend freely, and I'll make CU perennial NCAA champions. And I know nothing about college football.

Hell, I'll bring in Urban Meyer AND Les Miles... we'll go ahead and get the #1 QB prospect in the country... and while we're at it, the #1 RB, #1 OT, #1 DE, #1 CB, #1 WR and #2 WR.... then we'll upgrade the practice facilites to the point where the Broncos are jealous...

You know, just another day at the office.

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 02:29 PM
People can do a lot with money. Give me a billion dollars to spend freely, and I'll make CU perennial NCAA champions. And I know nothing about college football.

Hell, I'll bring in Urban Meyer AND Les Miles... we'll go ahead and get the #1 QB prospect in the country... and while we're at it, the #1 RB, #1 OT, #1 DE, #1 CB, #1 WR and #2 WR.... then we'll upgrade the practice facilites to the point where the Broncos are jealous...

You know, just another day at the office.

CU could do what I suggested IF they wanted to. But I doubt they will. CU is such a pansy ass school. It has women's soccer, lacrosse, tennis but no men's soccer, lacrosse or tennis. It's an institution based on a militant liberal agenda.

So, its athletic department basically caters to women (that's a losing money proposition but hey, it's good for girl's self esteem, right?).

Really, I'd just assume CU implode. It's such a hypocritical institution on so many levels it's really frustrating.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-28-2012, 02:41 PM
CU could do what I suggested IF they wanted to. But I doubt they will. CU is such a pansy ass school. It has women's soccer, lacrosse, tennis but no men's soccer, lacrosse or tennis. It's an institution based on a militant liberal agenda.

So, its athletic department basically caters to women (that's a losing money proposition but hey, it's good for girl's self esteem, right?).

Really, I'd just assume CU implode. It's such a hypocritical institution on so many levels it's really frustrating.

Never heard of Title IX, huh?

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Never heard of Title IX, huh?

yes I have, does not mean I agree with it. I think it's abused by institutions like CU. Fact is, the men's football and basketball alone probably generate more money for the school in one year than all the women's athletics have done over the last 10 years. I bet the women's programs don't make money. I bet they bleed money from the school.

Regardless, it does not matter. Title nine is title nine. The football program could make a lot more money for CU if it was successful and that means more money for all the women's athletics too. Right?

razorwire77
11-28-2012, 03:36 PM
yes I have, does not mean I agree with it. I think it's abused by institutions like CU. Fact is, the men's football and basketball alone probably generate more money for the school in one year than all the women's athletics have done over the last 10 years. I bet the women's programs don't make money. I bet they bleed money from the school.

Regardless, it does not matter. Title nine is title nine. The football program could make a lot more money for CU if it was successful and that means more money for all the women's athletics too. Right?

Actually, quite a few FBS football programs lose money. It costs a ton of money to field an FBS football team.
CU has been hit so hard by revenue drop due to declining attendance that they will probably have to get a loan to buy out the contracts of Embree and Eric Bieniemy.
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_22078080

CU's fooball program in 2009 only generated $900,000 in revenue for the entire season after expenses. And my guess is those numbers have continued to decline. Granted this doesn't include television revenue, but according to this article the Buffs forfeited B12 television money and didn't receive TV money from the Pac-12 this year.

Despite potential TV money coming in, CU football is most likely in pretty bad shape financially. At least compared to the SEC schools and the marque Pac-12 athletic schools like Oregon with their Nike money.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Despite potential TV money coming in, CU football is most likely in pretty bad shape financially. At least compared to the SEC schools and the marque Pac-12 athletic schools like Oregon with their Nike money.

John Embree would still be the Head Coach if the Athletic Department was in bad financial shape. Period.

Hawkins was kept for a 5th season instead of rightly fired after his 4th because the AD couldn't afford to do it.

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Actually, quite a few FBS football programs lose money. It costs a ton of money to field an FBS football team.
CU has been hit so hard by revenue drop due to declining attendance that they will probably have to get a loan to buy out the contracts of Embree and Eric Bieniemy.

CU's fooball program in 2009 only generated $900,000 in revenue for the entire season after expenses. And my guess is those numbers have continued to decline. Granted this doesn't include television revenue, but according to this article the Buffs forfeited B12 television money and didn't receive TV money from the Pac-12 this year.

Ok fine but this is due to the administrations lousy handling of the football program. And like I said, it could be a huge money maker because CU does have the fan base.

Also, I have no problem with cutting athletic programs that lose money. Like I said, all the women's athletics would be the first to be cut. Fact is, I'm guessing that all the athletic programs outside of men's football and men's basketball probably bleed money away from the school.

But CU doesn't care about being fair. It only cares about promoting a liberal agenda and that means villifying men's sports like football and basketball and promoting money pits like women's lacrosse.

Hey everyone, look, we have a D1 Women's Lacrosse team. WHOOPDY-FREAK'N--DOO!!

(does anyone watch women's lacrosse?)

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 04:37 PM
CU will recieve $21m a year from the Pac Bazillion TV contract.

Do you think for one minute that any of those TV revenues come from women's lacrosse, or women's tennis or women's soccer?

NO

All that TV revenue is from men's football and men's basketball and maybe some other men's sports.

However, you're damn right CU will use that $21m to offset the cost of all these fantastic women's athletic programs!!

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 04:42 PM

Also, as for the loan, I love this little tidbit: University of Colorado officials confirmed Tuesday the athletic department will receive its third loan from the school in the past seven years to cover the costs of firing coach Jon Embree and possibly parting ways with offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

Hahahaha! CU is borrowing money from itself. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!

Agamemnon
11-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Also, as for the loan, I love this little tidbit: University of Colorado officials confirmed Tuesday the athletic department will receive its third loan from the school in the past seven years to cover the costs of firing coach Jon Embree and possibly parting ways with offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

Hahahaha! CU is borrowing money from itself. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!

WTF?

NFLBRONCO
11-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Tedford not interested in CU job 9news sports

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Mark Mangino did well for the Jayhawks, looks like CU is courting him:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/11/28/3701582/mark-mangino-colorado-coaching-search-rumors

Hercules Rockefeller
11-28-2012, 10:30 PM
He's not being considered for the HC spot.

NFLBRONCO
11-28-2012, 10:32 PM
He's not being considered for the HC spot.

Would you be happy if Utah St guy got job Herc?

Hercules Rockefeller
11-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Yes

Mogulseeker
11-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Bill Belichick or bust.

Pay him.

NFLBRONCO
11-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Gary Andersen Utah State is top choice I bet

sinuous sausage
11-29-2012, 08:29 AM

dude, any college campus in America today is liberal and gravitates towards a secular humanist outlook. I don't think CU is any more outsized in its politics than Wisconsin or Cal, yet those institutions produce squads that aren't the grease-fire that are your Colorado Buffawoes.

I personally think Mac is acting like a little bish in the aftermath of this season. Embree has lost any sympathy from me, too. It's possible Mac is losing his marbles in his old age based on some of the comments I've read in the news. I don't see why hiring a senile, race-baiting, egocentric, old man bent on recreating the 1980's would have been a wise decision two years ago. Plenty of negatives without taking account of his religious fervor.

Embree has some real chutzpah thinking he, of any underqualified coach, is immune from the football holocaust that was the Buffaloes' 2012 season. Really low to pull the race card at this juncture, and it shows he cares more about himself than the future state of CU football. I dunno if the program can recover from this.

Obushma
11-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Gary Andersen Utah State is top choice I bet

Local radio here in Utah saying both Cal and CU in talks with Anderson.

sinuous sausage
11-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Because he's a DII coach? Barnett to Hawkins to Embree to a DII coach.

Public perception is everything, and John Wristen walking into a recruit's living room saying he won the National Title at Colorado State University-Pueblo isn't going to do anything for those kids.

Ohio State has the reputation and clout that they can take a chance on someone like Tressel when he was at Youngstown and still survive if it had failed, CU is not in a position to take a chance on someone like that.

Maybe not for the kids who are a few short years away from playing on Sundays, but it might do something for the type of kids CU needs: basic, competent football players who keep games with Fresno State respectable.

I imagine CU is 5+ years away from building a team that can even challenge for a division title. Baby steps. I know nothing of this Wristen cat, but I do know CU shouldn't be too proud to consider anything.

spdirty
11-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Local radio here in Utah saying both Cal and CU in talks with Anderson.

Well then he's going to Cal...no way CU can compete with them if the money is the same.

Obushma
11-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Sounds like Anderson is not interested in taking another job.

"I love where I'm at and I don't have any intentions or aspirations or reaching out to people to go (anywhere else)," Andersen said. "I love the job. That's basically my stance on it right now and I've said that all along.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/11/27/3695644/cal-coaching-rumors-gary-andersen-utah-state

That was from Tuesday, maybe CU backs the Brinks truck up to his porch in Logan? He's got a kid whos playing @ USU and a kid whos a senior in high school who commited to USU, doesn't sound like he's going to make a move anytime soon...but money talks.

ColoradoBuff
11-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Sounds like Andersen is out.....

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop (https://twitter.com/footballscoop)
Regarding Colorado, sources close to Utah State HC Gary Andersen tell us he should be not viewed as a candidate http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop (http://t.co/wlPItI8Q)

Hercules Rockefeller
11-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Sounds like Anderson is not interested in taking another job.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/11/27/3695644/cal-coaching-rumors-gary-andersen-utah-state

That was from Tuesday, maybe CU backs the Brinks truck up to his porch in Logan? He's got a kid whos playing @ USU and a kid whos a senior in high school who commited to USU, doesn't sound like he's going to make a move anytime soon...but money talks.

Read what he actually said. He said he's not going to reach out to anyone, he never says he's unwilling to listen if people come calling.

Obushma
11-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Read what he actually said. He said he's not going to reach out to anyone, he never says he's unwilling to listen if people come calling.

I don't disagree, I'm the first one who came in this thread and threw his name out there. CU can offer Anderson much more then USU. I just wonder with his kids if the money is such a big factor at this point in his life.

NFLBRONCO
11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Bobby Petrino's name has surfaced for the CU job. They're very interested

scorpio
11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Vic Lombardi tweeted this an hour ago:

CU AD Mike Bohn on Bobby Petrino rumor from @VicLombardi: "That's absolutely not true. We're not hiring Bobby Petrino. You can quote me."

Hercules Rockefeller
11-29-2012, 11:14 AM
That was a Tweet from Kyle Ringo quoting Bohn, Lombardi later tweeted that he stands by what he said about Petrino.

razorwire77
11-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Good. Bobby Petrino would be about the worst hire possible.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 12:22 PM
I seriously doubt Petrino would take the job. He likes the ladies, not the militant lesbos. :D

razorwire77
11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
I know that there's a Birkenstock brigade at CU, but there are also some smoking hot coeds there too.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
I know that there's a Birkenstock brigade at CU, but there are also some smoking hot coeds there too.

you treat objects like women, man.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ikh34ejKRDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

razorwire77
11-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Throw another name out there. . . Dennis Franchione, Texas St. He's older and a mercenary that will bolt the first time a better gig comes along. But he's damn good at bad team recovery. In his first year he took a bad, bad UNM team to 6-5, his last year they were 9-3. In his first year he took a 1-10 TCU team to 7-5 and eventually 10-1. In his first year, he took a 3-8 Bama team to 7-5. He was up and down at A&M and at Texas St., but he's gotta be itching to get back into a BCS school. He'd also open up a Texas recruiting pipeline.

NFLBRONCO
11-29-2012, 12:45 PM
What about Ala DC for CU job?

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 01:00 PM
What about Ala DC for CU job?

Sorry but CSU is hiring all the 'Bama assistant coaches. CU is better off looking at schools like Saint Mary's College in IN. Just saying... :yayaya:

razorwire77
11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
As disgraceful as it sounds, CSU has better facilities that CU. Soon, they're going to build a stadium that will make Folsom look like it belongs hosting a Commerce City flag football tournament. CU has been slacking. Now they are a bad team, with badly outdated facilities. It's going to take more than a coach and a couple of decent recruits to turn things around. The college football landscape is vastly different than it was even 10 years ago. I say these things not to rub it in, but with the hope that the administration realizes these things and the community takes action.

BroncoBuff
11-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Bill? Did you ever think it's because he went 4-21 over two years?

McCartney was just as bad oir nearly so ... he/we went 1-10 in '84. They installed the I-Bone that off-season, and the rest is history, 2 decades at or near the top. His religion/politics have nothing to do with it btw. Maybe they do now, but they didn't then. More of an issue was his daughter's behavior and another less-publicized problem.

His coaching tree isn't half bad, especially now that I've added ..... John Wristen!

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/6910/mactree.png

bombay
11-29-2012, 01:33 PM
http://tippingpitchers.com/images/icons/icon1.png
Here we go. Outside the lines has picked up on the racism angle to Embree's firing. It is absolute statistical fact that black coaches don't get second chances. But to lay that at Colorado's doorstep after the worst season in over a century of football is crazy. They were losing money hand over fist, this year's recruiting class was falling apart, and nothing positive on the horizon. He had to go.

Fresno St can't be having mercy on you in the first half.

Rohirrim
11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
McCartney was just as bad oir nearly so ... he/we went 1-10 in '84. They installed the I-Bone that off-season, and the rest is history, 2 decades at or near the top. His religion/politics have nothing to do with it btw. Maybe they do now, but they didn't then. More of an issue was his daughter's behavior and another less-publicized problem.

His coaching tree isn't half bad, especially now that I've added ..... John Wristen!

I didn't raise the religion issue. I remembered clearly when he retired. It had nothing to do with it. Hawkins wiped out the program. Embree, in two years, did absolutely nothing to fix it. In other words, he was continuing to dig the hole. Sometimes, you just have to stop digging.

I'm not sure who to recommend. It just has to be somebody who can really make a difference in recruiting and who has enough cache, with just their name, and fame, to stop the bleeding.

cubuffs24
11-29-2012, 02:10 PM
As disgraceful as it sounds, CSU has better facilities that CU. Soon, they're going to build a stadium that will make Folsom look like it belongs hosting a Commerce City flag football tournament. CU has been slacking. Now they are a bad team, with badly outdated facilities. It's going to take more than a coach and a couple of decent recruits to turn things around. The college football landscape is vastly different than it was even 10 years ago. I say these things not to rub it in, but with the hope that the administration realizes these things and the community takes action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2T4cMt6pO8

ColoradoBuff
11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I like Wristen but no thanks.

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/6910/mactree.png

Rohirrim
11-29-2012, 02:20 PM

Thanks for your input, Justice White. ;D

Hercules Rockefeller
11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Thursday's afternoon rumors:

@JohnHendersonDP: A good source says there's mutual interest between Colorado and a head coach at an AQ school. With Colorado ties. It may be Charlie Strong.

@JohnHendersonDP: Charlie Strong has no Colorado ties but his offensive coordinator is Shawn Watson and O-Line coach is Dave Borbely, both ex Colorado aides.

@reedmarks: Yet unconfirmed, one source told me #CU has "discussed numbers" w/ their top choice. Who is a BCS level HC.

Henderson is the Buffs beat writer at the Post, Marks is on Mile High Sports Radio.

Strong would be awesome, I just can't believe it's possible.

Carmelo15
11-29-2012, 02:51 PM
I would personally love a Butch Davis hire. I know some will be against it but what he did at Miami and UNC was very impressive. Having said that I know it will never happen as CU will run from anyone involved in scandal

razorwire77
11-29-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm amazed that there are still arrogant Buff fans. :rofl:

CSU = state of the art indoor practice facility.

CU = talking about it for the past decade.

CSU is going to build a 250 million dollar state of the art stadium.

And this is comparing CU to a mid-tier MWC team, not Texas, or Oregon, or Bama.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 03:29 PM
If CSU builds the stadium (on campus no less) there should be no reason CSU should not be a member of a BCS conference like the Big 12. None.

dsmoot
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
It's not just about the right hire though. CU is lacking the talent and facilities to compete with the big boy programs. I don't have the specifics, but with attendance declining the program has to be bleeding red as well. You have to stop the bleeding and the coach has to realize that competitiveness is key to bringing back respectability. You've gotta come up with a scheme that minimizes talent and depth deficiencies. I think you've gotta schedule relatively lightly and realistically (No roadies to Florida St or Florida). Give the team the chance to string some wins together going into conference.

Case in point would be the University of New Mexico football team. UNM was hands down the worst team in America for 3 years in a row. They won 3 games in 3 years. They hired Bob Davie and he installed an option offense out of the pistol. Again, not as a long term solution, but to get the team competitive despite being 15 scholarships short and with serious talent deficiencies. This year UNM won four games and was highly competitive (3-10 point losses against almost every team they played. They were one possession away from beating Boise and Air Force. To me, CU needs to make a stability hire, rather than swinging for the fences thinking they are only a few players away from beating Oregon.

Your example of UNM is not foreign to CU. This is exactly the condition of the program at CU when McCartney hit the door following the decimation created by Chuck Fairbanks. Rewind tape hit play. CU was void of talent and did not have much leverage to bring in the big time players. He instituted the option attack not because he was enamored with it but because it gave him a simplified offense that he could teach with lesser talent. When he finally made inroads with some wins, he was then able to convince better players to make a commitment and then he adjusted the schemes that better players could be successful with. That is what finally led to 1990 and a team that was competitive nationally with anyone.

I bristle at statements that CU should just accept that they are a lesser program at 2cd tier at best. However, it takes a commitment from the top of the University (Gee) all the way to the AD (Marolt). Bill McCartney and his recent statements are right on about the need to give someone time to turn the ship around. This 1-11 team is not Embree's, next year would be.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-29-2012, 03:55 PM
If CSU builds the stadium (on campus no less) there should be no reason CSU should not be a member of a BCS conference like the Big 12. None.

Yes there is. They can't fill Hughes now and that seats what, low 30k?

They don't draw even in a small stadium, and the Big XII isn't going to invite a school like that.

ColoradoBuff
11-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Apparently the #'s being tossed around are BIG....Reed is verifying all that info now.

Thursday's afternoon rumors:

@JohnHendersonDP: A good source says there's mutual interest between Colorado and a head coach at an AQ school. With Colorado ties. It may be Charlie Strong.

@JohnHendersonDP: Charlie Strong has no Colorado ties but his offensive coordinator is Shawn Watson and O-Line coach is Dave Borbely, both ex Colorado aides.

@reedmarks: Yet unconfirmed, one source told me #CU has "discussed numbers" w/ their top choice. Who is a BCS level HC.

Henderson is the Buffs beat writer at the Post, Marks is on Mile High Sports Radio.

Strong would be awesome, I just can't believe it's possible.

razorwire77
11-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Your example of UNM is not foreign to CU. This is exactly the condition of the program at CU when McCartney hit the door following the decimation created by Chuck Fairbanks. Rewind tape hit play. CU was void of talent and did not have much leverage to bring in the big time players. He instituted the option attack not because he was enamored with it but because it gave him a simplified offense that he could teach with lesser talent. When he finally made inroads with some wins, he was then able to convince better players to make a commitment and then he adjusted the schemes that better players could be successful with. That is what finally led to 1990 and a team that was competitive nationally with anyone.

I bristle at statements that CU should just accept that they are a lesser program at 2cd tier at best. However, it takes a commitment from the top of the University (Gee) all the way to the AD (Marolt). Bill McCartney and his recent statements are right on about the need to give someone time to turn the ship around. This 1-11 team is not Embree's, next year would be.
Solid take. They need to find a McCarthy type guy. Simplify the offense, but make it one that is difficult for opponents to prepare for. Find role players to fill said offense. Don't schedule difficult out of conference games. Get the best possible regional recruits you can out of Colorado and Utah and support the guy for a minimum of three years. In addition, the desire and community support needs to be there for capital stadium improvements, IPF and weight room development.

razorwire77
11-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Can't believe that Charlie Strong would take CU job.

NFLBRONCO
11-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Apparently the #'s being tossed around are BIG....Reed is verifying all that info now.

Strong or someone else

24champ
11-29-2012, 04:09 PM
That would be incredible if CU lands Charlie Strong. There's some rumors about Gundy as well.

ColoradoBuff
11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
14-16m for 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow

<TABLE class=tweet><TBODY><TR class=tweet-header><TD class=user-info>Reed Marks @reedmarks (https://mobile.twitter.com/reedmarks?p=s)</TD><TD class=timestamp>26s (https://mobile.twitter.com/reedmarks/status/274288881845805057?p=p) </TD></TR><TR class=tweet-container><TD class=tweet-content colSpan=2>STRONG rumor from multiple (3) boosters: Offer would be in the range of $14-16 million over 5 years
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

24champ
11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
zowie! 5 years 16 million? Colorado isn't messing around.

This would be good for the Pac-12

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Yes there is. They can't fill Hughes now and that seats what, low 30k?

They don't draw even in a small stadium, and the Big XII isn't going to invite a school like that.

That stadium is out in the middle of no where. Also, when CSU was winning they filled that stadium just fine.

Also, you got to look at the CU/CSU game in Denver and see all the CSU fans.

There'd be a huge difference if that stadium was right in the middle of campus instead of out in the middle of a dirt field, 10 miles away from campus.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 04:21 PM
That would be incredible if CU lands Charlie Strong. There's some rumors about Gundy as well.

there's no reason for Gundy to leave OSU for CU, none.

Lestat
11-29-2012, 04:27 PM
zowie! 5 years 16 million? Colorado isn't messing around.

This would be good for the Pac-12

damn, that's some serious coin. can't be Anderson,Wisten or non BCS coach for that.

ColoradoBuff
11-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Charlie Strong

damn, that's some serious coin. can't be Anderson,Wisten or non BCS coach for that.

Broncos_OTM
11-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Charlie strong. I think with the move to the acc he'll stay in Louisville. I doubt he has any interest in building a program when he already has a good pipeline there. Personally i think this was leaked so people would get off they fired me cause I'm black.

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 04:34 PM
I can see CU hiring Charlie Strong, just to get Embree off their backs. It's ok to fire a black HC as long as you replace him with another black HC.

right?

Charlie Strong is a relative unknown as far as being a HC. He's only been at Louisville for like 3 years or so. He hasn't done nearly as good as Petrino did at Louisville.

But whatever CU, go for it. I mean, you all know what you're doing right?

riiiiiigght...

Lestat
11-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Charlie Strong

that is in no way an upgrade for him. except salary.
plus he wants to coach in the SEC and Auburn wants to interview(which shocks the hell out of me)

cubuffs24
11-29-2012, 05:14 PM

70 yards ring a bell?

I'm amazed that there are arrogant CSU fans!

Funny thing - we're down and people still think more of CU than CSU. When you get into a BCS conference, we'll chat.

And, could be wrong, but aren't you still trying to raise the funds for your new 40k seat stadium? Good luck with that.

cubuffs24
11-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your input, Justice White. ;D

My pleasure! :approve:

Lestat
11-29-2012, 05:39 PM

250 mil even for a college stadium isn't really start of the art these days.
most BCS schools will spend that on renovations and practice facilities.
TCF Bank Stadium(Minnesota Golden Gophers) was built is 2009 and it cost 303 mil to build.

cubuffs24
11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Can't we just all get along? We both suck! GO BRONCOS!

razorwire77
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
70 yards ring a bell?

I'm amazed that there are arrogant CSU fans!

Funny thing - we're down and people still think more of CU than CSU. When you get into a BCS conference, we'll chat.

And, could be wrong, but aren't you still trying to raise the funds for your new 40k seat stadium? Good luck with that.

I hate CSU and grew up a Buff fan you retard. I'm just not going to chest thump about CU football. It's been a self-created dumpster fire more often than not this century. CU would have a tough time with Adams St. this year. It pisses me off because you have a quality state school in a beautiful and wealthy small city and a beautiful campus and yet you have a program that couldn't beat a Big Sky team if the Buffs were on Viagra. CU should have quality football teams year in and year out and yet the powers that be have made the program a national laughingstock. And yes, make no mistake, CU football is a national laughingstock.

Rohirrim
11-29-2012, 08:51 PM

We'd have a kick ass defense in no time. :thumbsup:

cubuffs24
11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
I hate CSU and grew up a Buff fan you retard. I'm just not going to chest thump about CU football. It's been a self-created dumpster fire more often than not this century. CU would have a tough time with Adams St. this year. It pisses me off because you have a quality state school in a beautiful and wealthy small city and a beautiful campus and yet you have a program that couldn't beat a Big Sky team if the Buffs were on Viagra. CU should have quality football teams year in and year out and yet the powers that be have made the program a national laughingstock. And yes, make no mistake, CU football is a national laughingstock.

You stay classy. :thumbs:

BroncoBuff
11-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Whoever's behind these nonsensical Charlie Strong rumors ... please relax, take a deep breath, and back away from your keyboard. Not only did Louisville join the ACC just yesterday - yesterday - but Auburn can't even get an interview with him. That's the 2010 National Champion Auburn Tigers, with the 7th highest paid head coach in the country. Stong got angry Thursday about reports he interviewed there, said "it's not time, no way" to leave Louisville. If he got angry about Auburn rumors, I'd hate to think how he'd react to Colorado rumors ...

And I'm not sure we could afford Jeff Tedford ... he was the highest paid California state employee in 2011.

SoCalBronco
11-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Charlie Strong would be a good hire for CU. He made his reputation as a DC at Florida, but his success at Louisville is in large part due to excellent recruiting efforts in the Miami area (Bridgewater, Eli Rogers, etc.). Regardless of where he's coaching, he'll soon be without his ace recruiter in that area, Clint Hurtt. Hurtt is about to recieve a major show-cause penalty from the NCAA and will be out of college coaching for some time.

BroncoBuff
11-30-2012, 02:42 AM
SoCal, the Strong rumors make zero sense, but I'm liking your June Jones idea more and more.

Jetland
11-30-2012, 02:55 AM
You stay classy. :thumbs:

poor word choice aside he makes some very good points

SpringStein
11-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Woody is saying Butch Jones of Cincy- it would surprise me if he would come here. He'll have better offers imo.

Rohirrim
11-30-2012, 07:40 AM
Woody is saying Butch Jones of Cincy- it would surprise me if he would come here. He'll have better offers imo.

Purdue offered them their HC job. I don't know. If I had to pick between Colorado and Indiana, I'm not spending too much time on the choice. ;D

Hercules Rockefeller
11-30-2012, 07:44 AM

I'm more curious about his potential staff, he's never coached in the West.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Whoever's behind these nonsensical Charlie Strong rumors ... please relax, take a deep breath, and back away from your keyboard. Not only did Louisville join the ACC just yesterday - yesterday - but Auburn can't even get an interview with him. That's the 2010 National Champion Auburn Tigers, with the 7th highest paid head coach in the country. Stong got angry Thursday about reports he interviewed there, said "it's not time, no way" to leave Louisville. If he got angry about Auburn rumors, I'd hate to think how he'd react to Colorado rumors ...

And I'm not sure we could afford Jeff Tedford ... he was the highest paid California state employee in 2011.

FWIW, a Louisville beat writer said there's no way he'd leave, but also said they're more concerned about CU than Auburn. If that's true, I would assume there's a non-football reason that is why he keeps telling Auburn no to an interview.

Rohirrim
11-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Woody Paige has it right:

Seemingly forgotten in all of the storm of the past few days after the Embree firing is the truth that the Buffs have shown no improvement, and actually gotten worse the past several seasons, especially the last two, and the season-ticket base eroded $2.5 million this year and would have dropped considerably more next year. The CU coaches blamed youth, but, by the end of the season, the young players were freshmen and sophomores no more, but they still were clueless on the field. It was evident there was zero enthusiasm among players on the sideline during games, and, truthfully, the coaching staff constantly appeared to be confused.

Read more: Woody Paige: Put Butch Jones atop Colorado football coach search - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_22095246#ixzz2DiXYG3JQ
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

spdirty
11-30-2012, 07:57 AM
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_22095050/football-mike-bohn-debunks-cu-buffs-search-rumors?source=most_viewed

No Petrino or Mangino. I think Bohn's top choice is Strong.

bronco militia
11-30-2012, 08:08 AM
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_22095050/football-mike-bohn-debunks-cu-buffs-search-rumors?source=most_viewed

http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/files/2012/11/bill-mccartney-cu-buffs.jpg

"but he's black?"

ColoradoBuff
11-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Hide and watch my fellow Buff fan! hide and watch.......:)

Hercules Rockefeller
11-30-2012, 08:41 AM

Mangino was never a candidate for the HC spot

spdirty
11-30-2012, 08:45 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/files/2012/11/bill-mccartney-cu-buffs.jpg

"but he's black?"

Oh let's lay off coach Mac. He's passionate and emotional when it comes to this university because he wants what's best. I don't know if he's right or wrong but him and embree use facts when bringing up the racial thing. But my point is that this university is much better off having him coach the buffs. So IMO he has deserved to have his say in what goes on with this school whether he be right, wrong, indifferent, or off in the wild blue yonder.

bronco militia
11-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Oh let's lay off coach Mac. He's passionate and emotional when it comes to this university because he wants what's best. I don't know if he's right or wrong but him and embree use facts when bringing up the racial thing. But my point is that this university is much better off having him coach the buffs. So IMO he has deserved to have his say in what goes on with this school whether he be right, wrong, indifferent, or off in the wild blue yonder.

sure.... He has every right to look like an ass.

spdirty
11-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Mangino was never a candidate for the HC spot

Well he should be. As well as Petrino, as much as I despise him. They win.

ColoradoBuff
11-30-2012, 09:20 AM
uh no....Mangino was never a candidate for HC nor should he have been.

Well he should be. As well as Petrino, as much as I despise him. They win.

Tombstone RJ
11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
lol at CU. what a cluster.

broncswin
11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Butch jones of Cinn....yes please

broncswin
11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
lol at CU. what a cluster.

Lollollollol....go away damn you

razorwire77
11-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Whomever they hire, should have established head coaching experience. The school is not in the position where you want to risk swinging for the fences with an unproven hire.

ColoradoBuff
11-30-2012, 11:20 AM
CU is meeting with Butch Jones in Boulder on Monday and Jones has been offered the Purdue job

razorwire77
11-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Butch Jones would be a great hire. CU must be planning to pay him pretty well. Hopefully, they don't go cheap on the assistant coaches as well. Staff salaries are almost as important as HC salaries these days. If you pay assistants ****, you're basically renting them for a year.

spdirty
11-30-2012, 11:56 AM
What has butch jones done beyond ride Brian Kelly's coattails?

NFLBRONCO
11-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Whomever they hire, should have established head coaching experience. The school is not in the position where you want to risk swinging for the fences with an unproven hire.

Exactly that is all I want pay assts too like you mentioned.

Lestat
11-30-2012, 12:11 PM
What has butch jones done beyond ride Brian Kelly's coattails?

this is a joke right? he's an offensive genius and he coached under Kelly at CMU before leaving for WVU to coach under Rich Rodriguez, he returned to CMU as head coach because he was familiar with what Kelly ran and had been there already.

same thing with Cincy, he was similar to Kelly in offensive approach so they wanted to maintain the consistency and felt Jones was a great fit.

if it was only riding coat tails he'd never win.

Broncos_OTM
11-30-2012, 12:39 PM
The school will never amount to much. Unless the heads of the college to committ to winning.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-30-2012, 03:25 PM
The school will never amount to much. Unless the heads of the college to committ to winning.

It's rumored they're willing to spend $5M per year on coaches, that's a start if it is true.

BroncoBuff
11-30-2012, 05:47 PM

"Never amount to much," let's see ... you're either 4 years old or memory-impaired. If it is a neurological condition, I apologize to you, but it is sad how people use this thread as an excuse to take shots at CU.

The CSU people are the worst ... hey I got news for you guys: Sonny's gone and he ain't coming back. We were good before McCartney - nationally ranked much of the 70s, Orange Bowl four years before he arrived. And we were good after McCartney left, Slick Rick three 10 win seasons, Barnett 4 Big XII North titles and a BCS Bowl game with a shot at the National Championship. Don't worry about us, we'll be fine.

You guys on the other hand, not much to go on. Don't get me wrong, you should be very proud of your Sonny Lubick Memorial World-Class facilities. But you'll need another Sonny-like miracle if you're ever going to matter again.

NFLBRONCO
11-30-2012, 05:53 PM
It's rumored they're willing to spend $5M per year on coaches, that's a start if it is true.

If we want to matter again we need to spend big bucks glad they are finally rumored to do so. Facilities need major upgrade next

Tombstone RJ
11-30-2012, 06:45 PM
"Never amount to much," let's see ... you're either 4 years old or memory-impaired. If it is a neurological condition, I apologize to you, but it is sad how people use this thread as an excuse to take shots at CU.

The CSU people are the worst ... hey I got news for you guys: Sonny's gone and he ain't coming back. We were good before McCartney - nationally ranked much of the 70s, Orange Bowl four years before he arrived. And we were good after McCartney left, Slick Rick three 10 win seasons, Barnett 4 Big XII North titles and a BCS Bowl game with a shot at the National Championship. Don't worry about us, we'll be fine.

You guys on the other hand, not much to go on. Don't get me wrong, you should be very proud of your Sonny Lubick Memorial World-Class facilities. But you'll need another Sonny-like miracle if you're ever going to matter again.

CSU needs a new stadium and to be in a BCS conference. I think if they ever got a new stadium a BCS conference would at least look at the Rams.

Broncos_OTM
11-30-2012, 06:50 PM

You guys on the other hand, not much to go on. Don't get me wrong, you should be very proud of your Sonny Lubick Memorial World-Class facilities. But you'll need another Sonny-like miracle if you're ever going to matter again. did you ever stop and consider that i maybe a buff fan, and have been since the middle to late 80's attack the post asshole not the poster.

DomCasual
11-30-2012, 07:30 PM
People here are all aflutter over the mention of Bronco Mendenhall as a possible candidate, in Woody Paige's column.

Honestly, I am more of a CU fan than I am a BYU fan. But I can't see why Bronco would even consider the switch. From what I understand, he makes about a million a year here. So, if CU is really thinking about dramatically raising what they've been paying, then he could theoretically make more money there. On the other hand, I think he could end up having something of a Lavell Edwards type of career here. And there are way worse jobs you could end up with than BYU head football coach - especially since his faith matches that of his employer.

CU is going to be, at the very best, a tough place to be for the next few years. And compared to what he currently has, it would be a huge risk. There's the real possibility that he would end up in Boulder for three or four years - "swimming upstream" against the challenges of the facilities (BYU has great facilities), the administration, etc - before finding out the challenges were just too insurmountable.

I keep telling people here that they're worrying WAY too much about something Woody Paige said.

FantomForce
11-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Dom I knew you were the BOM. I am also a bigger CU fan than an actual USU Aggie fan. But maybe the Mayans were right I mean 10-2??? wow. Plus the "Y" needs to figure out what to do at QB. Losing to San Jose State? COME ON MAN. Whomever CU hires it needs to be a BIG name cuz recruiting is going to be rough

NFLBRONCO
11-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Butch Jones would be a great hire. CU must be planning to pay him pretty well. Hopefully, they don't go cheap on the assistant coaches as well. Staff salaries are almost as important as HC salaries these days. If you pay assistants ****, you're basically renting them for a year.

Is he good at rebuilding a program this bad? Others said, Kelly built up program and Jones took over at that point

spdirty
12-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Is he good at rebuilding a program this bad? Others said, Kelly built up program and Jones took over at that point

This guy made a good case for him, as well as Woody. http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_22095246/woody-paige-put-butch-jones-atop-colorado-football

this is a joke right? he's an offensive genius and he coached under Kelly at CMU before leaving for WVU to coach under Rich Rodriguez, he returned to CMU as head coach because he was familiar with what Kelly ran and had been there already.

same thing with Cincy, he was similar to Kelly in offensive approach so they wanted to maintain the consistency and felt Jones was a great fit.

if it was only riding coat tails he'd never win.

I made my (hopefully wrong) judgement based on his wikipedia page. Hopefully if we land this guy, he can help get this pathetic football program turned around. But I think it will take quite a bit more than a coach to turn it around. When a coach doesn't have to fight the ridiculous battles that Neuheisel, Barnett, Hawkins, and Embree fought, that is when we'll know that this program is headed in the right direction.

Lestat
12-01-2012, 07:44 PM
This guy made a good case for him, as well as Woody. http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_22095246/woody-paige-put-butch-jones-atop-colorado-football

I made my (hopefully wrong) judgement based on his wikipedia page. Hopefully if we land this guy, he can help get this pathetic football program turned around. But I think it will take quite a bit more than a coach to turn it around. When a coach doesn't have to fight the ridiculous battles that Neuheisel, Barnett, Hawkins, and Embree fought, that is when we'll know that this program is headed in the right direction.

Jones is a damn good coach and if he was to get into the right situation where he is backed by not only the AD but the school as well he will do some big things.

sinuous sausage
12-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I still wish it were Calhoun

SoCalBronco
12-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Strong apparently met with Tennessee's AD yesterday.

KipCorrington25
12-02-2012, 12:30 AM
I wish Mangino was the choice the jokes would be endless and awesome... ^5

BroncoBuff
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
did you ever stop and consider that i maybe a buff fan, and have been since the middle to late 80's attack the post a-hole not the poster.

It wasn't you as much as the phrase - 'they'll never amount to much.' Along with all these haters littering this thread. Some of these posts define inanity ... I love the guy who said, 'CU would have never got into the Pac 10 if the commissioner had known Texas was going to back out.' There are more things wrong with that comment than I can count.

I've heard all the objections, but I remain 100% behind John Wristen. Division II is college football. You got the same hundred 19-year-olds away from home for the first time, trying to come together and win games they're not supposed to win. And let's get real, Division II football is FAR more like Division I football than Division I is like the NFL. Now THAT is a huge gulf, yet you rarely hear the same complaints when college coaches go to the NFL.

What Wristen did down there is nothing less than a full-on miracle ... even more, he's done it every.single.year.in.fact.their.record.has.improve d.five years running. College football and hoops coaches who just win, and win only, those guys are born, not bred. And he's one of them.

bombay
12-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Colorado will end up with a good coach. Money talks, and they are finally aware that you get what you pay for. The shot in the dark with a TE coach failed. A good coach could approximate what Mora did at UCLA this year. Not to the level he succeeded, because there is less talent here. But there is some talent.

KipCorrington25
12-02-2012, 02:24 PM
It wasn't you as much as the phrase - 'they'll never amount to much.' Along with all these haters littering this thread. Some of these posts define inanity ... I love the guy who said, 'CU would have never got into the Pac 10 if the commissioner had known Texas was going to back out.' There are more things wrong with that comment than I can count.

I've heard all the objections, but I remain 100% behind John Wristen. Division II is college football. You got the same hundred 19-year-olds away from home for the first time, trying to come together and win games they're not supposed to win. And let's get real, Division II football is FAR more like Division I football than Division I is like the NFL. Now THAT is a huge gulf, yet you rarely hear the same complaints when college coaches go to the NFL.

What Wristen did down there is nothing less than a full-on miracle ... even more, he's done it every.single.year.in.fact.their.record.has.improve d.five years running. College football and hoops coaches who just win, and win only, those guys are born, not bred. And he's one of them.

Doesn't CSU Pueblo have the best facilities and funding in the RMAC? The standards for "miracles" are really low these days. Hilarious!

bombay
12-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Colorado is not going to hire John Wristen as head coach. They can't afford another wild gamble.

razorwire77
12-02-2012, 02:48 PM
John Wristen rorerz.

Lestat
12-03-2012, 08:17 AM
looks like Butch Jones is the target.
according to the Denver Post they plan to offer him 5 years 13.5 mil. which is 2.7 per and around the 2.8 mil they were said to be offering.

Colorado: The Denver Post reports that Colorado is prepared to offer Cincinnati head coach Butch Jones a contract of 5 years / $13.5 million.
Butch Jones To CU? (http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html)

Rohirrim
12-03-2012, 08:34 AM
More on Butch Jones with a comment from Derek Wolfe.

http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_22107951

Lestat
12-03-2012, 08:42 AM
looks like they promised facilities upgrades in addition to the salary.
http://www.jconline.com/article/20121203/SPORTS020101/312030014/Blog-Colorado-offering-Jones-13-5-million-over-5-years-plus-facility-upgrades?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Mountain Bronco
12-03-2012, 01:02 PM
John Wristen? Are you F'ing kidding me? Talk about so many reasons that is insane. You think CU is the laughing stock now?

NFLBRONCO
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
The heat Bohn gets already for screwing up twice. Him hiring a non div 1 coach would really tarnish CU's rep even more. Start the Embree firing blowup even more if they did this.

24champ
12-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Looks like all indications are that Butch Jones is CU's next coach, rumor is that Jones departure/flight back to Cincinnati is canceled.

Agamemnon
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Looks like all indications are that Butch Jones is CU's next coach, rumor is that Jones departure/flight back to Cincinnati is canceled.

Good luck with that Butch...

spdirty
12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
looks like they promised facilities upgrades in addition to the salary.
http://www.jconline.com/article/20121203/SPORTS020101/312030014/Blog-Colorado-offering-Jones-13-5-million-over-5-years-plus-facility-upgrades?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Good. Maybe they will finally get serious with the football program. It'll be nice for CU to finally join the college football arms race.

pricejj
12-03-2012, 09:07 PM

Think he's the right man for the job?

I guess he's about as good as we can get huh? I guess I'm not sure if he's just a coattail rider or not. Chip Kelly seems to have done the heavy lifting for him...

Agamemnon
12-03-2012, 09:11 PM

I guess he's about as good as we can get huh? I guess I'm not sure if he's just a coattail rider or not. Chip Kelly seems to have done the heavy lifting for him...

Like you said, they aren't going to get anybody better right now.

NFLBRONCO
12-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Only things that concern me about this hire.

1. Can Jones build a program on life support without Kelly.

2. Will he bring his staff with him or not. If not who will he hire

3. Jones has a creative offense. Well at the time I thought Hawkins did too when he got hired wasn't impressed at all during his tenure here.

24champ
12-04-2012, 01:45 AM

I'd say its a big gamble given that he is of the same mold as Hawkins, but the good news is that Butch Jones doesn't have a crappy QB as a son.

It's tough to get really qualified college coaches these days, most all good candidates available are bolting to the SEC where they are getting paid BIG BUCKS. By the way, it is absolutely crazy how much HC's and their staffs are being paid in the SEC and then add in the buyouts etc. How much money is being tossed around in that conference is just sickening.

That being said, I thought CU would have a wider search for a coach like up and coming assistant coaches, NFL coaches etc.

Regardless, the plan Colorado has for paying more for a good staff and building/upgrading facilities should bring the Buffs back to respectability which benefits the PAC12 more.

theAPAOps5
12-04-2012, 07:10 AM

He flew home at 1am. They asked him to stay longer and he agreed. It was funny watching them overreact to how he got upset being filmed while at Purdue. So much so they had him walk behind a food service cart.

Mountain Bronco
12-04-2012, 08:52 AM
This situation actually has a few similarities to the Broncos over the past five years, although CU made two terrible hires, not just one. After firing a very good coach (Barnett and Shannahan) each team hired the up and coming coach on the radar in Hawkins and McD. CU left Hawkins in for two long and then hired a totally unprepared coach with no head coaching experience also much like McD.

Now CU is seeking someone with BCS experience in coaching which Butch has, much like the Broncos went after an experienced no BS former head coach.

I hope that CU is as successful, but something tells me he isn't taking the CU job but will instead parlay the offer into more money at Cincinnati.

pricejj
12-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I hope that CU is as successful, but something tells me he isn't taking the CU job but will instead parlay the offer into more money at Cincinnati.

I am beginning to think this as well. The CU job doesn't have much of an upside. It could take several years just to get enough talent for 6 or 7 win seasons.

Not sure who in their right mind would ever take this job.

Mountain Bronco
12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
The biggest advantage that CU has over Cinci is the Pac12, which is a much better league than the Big East and probably only second to the SEC as far as a power conference with big money and TV exposure. If he is confident he could rebuild CU that would be the draw.

Lestat
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
The biggest advantage that CU has over Cinci is the Pac12, which is a much better league than the Big East and probably only second to the SEC as far as a power conference with big money and TV exposure. If he is confident he could rebuild CU that would be the draw.

Pac 12 is a distant 3rd behind the B1G and SEC and it's not even close both in tv revenue and power conference perception.
B1G makes the most money on TV revenue, their members will get at least 24 mil per school and likely 28-30 mil per season moving forward from the B1G network.

milehighJC
12-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Pac 12 is a distant 3rd behind the B1G and SEC and it's not even close both in tv revenue and power conference perception.
B1G makes the most money on TV revenue, their members will get at least 24 mil per school and likely 28-30 mil per season moving forward from the B1G network.

I cant imagine why he would take the job at CU. CU has been notoriously unwilling to spend the money to be a first rank team (based upon this mornings press, even the enhancements they talked about with him are only partially funded, and would be completed "as more money is raised").

The firing on Embree screams that they do not have the patience to recruit a team consistent with the approach of a new coach - he would be expected to win with the players he inherits.

I would think that CU would be a distant third to Cincinnati and Purdue. In Cincinnati, they seem to be willing to fix the finances, and the team he has is competitive today. If he were concerned about the viability of the Big East, then in my humble opinion, Purdue would be a better choice than CU (B1G vs PAC12) Purdue may not be a powerhouse, but are in better shape than CU (although I really have no idea about their facilities/money raising capability).

If he wanted to notch his belt with a major rebuild (and he may), perhaps CU would be a good option, but I cant think of any other reason why he would choose CU over both Purdue and Cincinnati.

Lestat
12-04-2012, 09:43 AM
I cant imagine why he would take the job at CU. CU has been notoriously unwilling to spend the money to be a first rank team (based upon this mornings press, even the enhancements they talked about with him are only partially funded, and would be completed "as more money is raised").

The firing on Embree screams that they do not have the patience to recruit a team consistent with the approach of a new coach - he would be expected to win with the players he inherits.

I would think that CU would be a distant third to Cincinnati and Purdue. In Cincinnati, they seem to be willing to fix the finances, and the team he has is competitive today. If he were concerned about the viability of the Big East, then in my humble opinion, Purdue would be a better choice than CU (B1G vs PAC12) Purdue may not be a powerhouse, but are in better shape than CU (although I really have no idea about their facilities/money raising capability).

If he wanted to notch his belt with a major rebuild (and he may), perhaps CU would be a good option, but I cant think of any other reason why he would choose CU over both Purdue and Cincinnati.

if you go to Purdue he will be in the same boat as Nick Saban was at Michigan state. you'll do ok but never great enough to win big games and consistently be tops in the conference and also with ND being good again most of the talent in IN is going there.
that said though, with the new influx of yearly cash from the B1G network and the other networks tv money it means they can splurge a bit and maybe bring the program into the limelight if the AD and regents back the coach.

Cincy, you can win and win the conference and be top dog most likely.
but eventually you might have to move to another conference due to the instability of what remains of the Big East. even Boise is trying to move to another conference and they aren't even in it yet.

if you go to CU you know you will be in a BCS conference and be in one of the top 3 power conferences with stability.
the question is, do you trust the CU AD and regents to honor their promises?

he likes the AD at UC and the AD is willing to promise upgrades but the school itself has said they can't afford the upgrades so it would have to be privately funded through fundraisers and donations. which means Butch and the AD would have to do it themselves.

so it's a matter of the devil you know vs the devil you don't know.

milehighJC
12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
if you go to CU you know you will be in a BCS conference and be in one of the top 3 power conferences with stability.
the question is, do you trust the CU AD and regents to honor their promises?

he likes the AD at UC and the AD is willing to promise upgrades but the school itself has said they can't afford the upgrades so it would have to be privately funded through fundraisers and donations. which means Butch and the AD would have to do it themselves.

so it's a matter of the devil you know vs the devil you don't know.

Truth... For what its worth, there are some upgrades that Cincinnati would be hard pressed to do even if they had the money. Nippert only holds a bit over 35K, and I cant see how they could ever expand it significantly. I don't seem them moving off campus either (BTW, I went to UC, seemingly an eon ago).

RE: Purdue, I agree that they are not going to be a perennial winner in the B1G, but I also don't see CU ever being there in the Pac12 either. Purdue is more of a spoiler in the B1G, and can earn their share of bowl games, but I doubt they will win many B1G championships.

For my money, I would not trust CU to honor their promises. Ask Embree how he feels about that. It may be true that Embree was not up to the job, but in my view, Bohn ultimately is accountable for the hiring decision.

Lestat
12-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Truth... For what its worth, there are some upgrades that Cincinnati would be hard pressed to do even if they had the money. Nippert only holds a bit over 35K, and I cant see how they could ever expand it significantly. I don't seem them moving off campus either (BTW, I went to UC, seemingly an eon ago).

RE: Purdue, I agree that they are not going to be a perennial winner in the B1G, but I also don't see CU ever being there in the Pac12 either. Purdue is more of a spoiler in the B1G, and can earn their share of bowl games, but I doubt they will win many B1G championships.

For my money, I would not trust CU to honor their promises. Ask Embree how he feels about that. It may be true that Embree was not up to the job, but in my view, Bohn ultimately is accountable for the hiring decision.

you're more than likely right on CU. but this is about perception and feel for Jones. where does he feel he will be able to do the most?
he wasn't interested in the UK job, which in all honesty to me, was a better job than the 3 he is considering now.
UK is in the SEC, the expectation are low similar to Vandy and the recruiting base is solid + you can use Coach Cal to help you swing some kids.

if it was me, i would stay put for 1-2 more years and then move on.
the playoff doesn't come in til 2014 so a lot of coach shuffling will be done by then.

bfoflcommish
12-04-2012, 10:02 AM
<TABLE class=tweet><TBODY><TR class=tweet-header><TD class=user-info>9NEWS Sports Denver @9NEWSSports (https://mobile.twitter.com/9NEWSSports?p=s)</TD><TD class=timestamp>53s (https://mobile.twitter.com/9NEWSSports/status/275998036575010816?p=p) </TD></TR><TR class=tweet-container><TD class=tweet-content colSpan=2>Cincy head coach Butch Jones plans to attend press conference today. PR department sent media an email NOT to ask about coaching situation.

Yeah...he's not coming to CU! Why would a coach attend a presser for upcomin bowl game and not want to address the big elelphant in the room, only to then leave the school hours later??? not happening...keep looking bohn!!!

Lestat
12-04-2012, 10:04 AM
<TABLE class=tweet><TBODY><TR class=tweet-header><TD class=user-info>9NEWS Sports Denver @9NEWSSports (https://mobile.twitter.com/9NEWSSports?p=s)</TD><TD class=timestamp>53s (https://mobile.twitter.com/9NEWSSports/status/275998036575010816?p=p) </TD></TR><TR class=tweet-container><TD class=tweet-content colSpan=2>Cincy head coach Butch Jones plans to attend press conference today. PR department sent media an email NOT to ask about coaching situation.

Yeah...he's not coming to CU! Why would a coach attend a presser for upcomin bowl game and not want to address the big elelphant in the room, only to then leave the school hours later??? not happening...keep looking bohn!!!

well Tommy Tubberville said he'd only leave Ole Miss in a pine box and was introduced as the HC at Auburn a day later.
anything could happen. he could change his mind, he may just want to coach the bowl game or support his kids.

that said... more than likely he is staying.

NFLBRONCO
12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
He's holding out for Cincy to redo his deal if not he's moving on.

Of course if he does stay scrap heap hire for CU. Nobody else sounds that exciting to me anyways.

Lestat
12-04-2012, 10:30 AM
for them to be offering 2.5 - 2.8 mil and not be able to reel in a guy yet it means either the search was too narrow or people don't want to walk into the mess(which normally 2.8 mil cures)

Goobzilla
12-04-2012, 10:30 AM
If Butch Jones doesn't take the job, go back to Embree and say sorry here's your job back with a pay bump? What's Plan B?

Lestat
12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
http://www.comediansandspeakers.com/wp-content/uploads/Dooley-Derek-200x300.jpg

just throwing this out there...

razorwire77
12-04-2012, 10:44 AM
If Butch Jones doesn't take the job, go back to Embree and say sorry here's your job back with a pay bump? What's Plan B?

There's still some proven veteran coaches that would jump at the CU job. Guys like Dennis Franchione come to mind. You could also hand a guy like Chris Ault a pile of cash. CU has to realize that their handling of the Embree situation and the overall lack of commitment to facility upgrades and building a winning program financially are going to limit the appeal of the job.

NFLBRONCO
12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
There's still some proven veteran coaches that would jump at the CU job. Guys like Dennis Franchione come to mind. You could also hand a guy like Chris Ault a pile of cash. CU has to realize that their handling of the Embree situation and the overall lack of commitment to facility upgrades and building a winning program financially are going to limit the appeal of the job.

Better jobs are still available too. If CU wants a top tier guy we might have to wait til we are only team without a coach.

pricejj
12-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Butch Jones is in the position where he can inherit a top-tier winning program, which only needs a coach, because the former coach took a more lucrative job.

Something like an Oregon, if Chip Kelly leaves for the NFL, or a Notre Dame if Brian Kelly leaves for the NFL.

He would be dumb to take the CU job, where head coaches careers get the guillotine (i.e. Barnett, Hawkins, Embree).

Mountain Bronco
12-04-2012, 11:34 AM
My understanding of following this situation is the Butch doesn't know or trust the new AD at Cinncy that he was not hired by, so that could play in CU's favor.

Also, everyone talks about expectations at CU and winning compared to Purdue and KU and says CU is in the same boat and I disagree. CU has a much richer football history than both of those schools with National Championships and Heisman Winners. CU has the history and ability to be a contender in the Pac 12 with the right coach and commitment from the school and boosters.

Lestat
12-04-2012, 11:41 AM
no Butch likes the new AD, he just isn't sure he can get the facilities upgrades.

razorwire77
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
no Butch likes the new AD, he just isn't sure he can get the facilities upgrades.

Which would also probably cause reservations about the CU job as well.

Lestat
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM

true, but i think CU was actually going to write the promise into his contract whereas UC was simply going to promise him verbally.

either way, neither athletic department has the money to do upgrades without loans or serious fundraising.

Rohirrim
12-04-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm sure having Solich in the room waving his checkbook around didn't hurt. If I were to guess, Solich is telling the powers that be at the school, you spend the money for a quality coach, and I'll spend some money on facilities.

milehighJC
12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
My understanding of following this situation is the Butch doesn't know or trust the new AD at Cincy that he was not hired by, so that could play in CU's favor.

Also, everyone talks about expectations at CU and winning compared to Purdue and KU and says CU is in the same boat and I disagree. CU has a much richer football history than both of those schools with National Championships and Heisman Winners. CU has the history and ability to be a contender in the Pac 12 with the right coach and commitment from the school and boosters.

There in lies the problem. Because of the lack of commitment recently, (at least Hawkins, and Embree era) in my view, CU has become a second tier program. That isn't to say that they cant recover former glory, but its going to take a lot of money, and a lot of "commitment" - probably a large contract for a coach with a lot of guaranteed money, not incentives.

I think its going to take a while to get the recruiting machine going again. Its not just the coach, you have to restock the kids too. If you are a blue chip recruit, what is your motivation to come to CU right now if you have other offers from a tier one PAC12, B1G, or SEC school?

It doesn't take long to trash a program... it takes years to rebuild it.

Rohirrim
12-04-2012, 01:20 PM
I just don't see it happening. CU is just too much of a CF right now. I still say the best bet is to go after a top Pac 12 assistant coach, like Mark Helfrich. He was the QB coach for Tyler Hansen. He knows the Pac 12 recruiting territory, which is something Butch Jones knows nothing about. I don't think CU will be able to get an established head coach to make a lateral move to this program, as it sits right now, in ruin. I'll be surprised if Jones doesn't stay in Cincy.

24champ
12-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I just don't see it happening. CU is just too much of a CF right now. I still say the best bet is to go after a top Pac 12 assistant coach, like Mark Helfrich. He was the QB coach for Tyler Hansen. He knows the Pac 12 recruiting territory, which is something Butch Jones knows nothing about. I don't think CU will be able to get an established head coach to make a lateral move to this program, as it sits right now, in ruin. I'll be surprised if Jones doesn't stay in Cincy.

Why not Dirk Koetter? NFL experience and PAC12 experience?

(I know he came from Boise State)

NFLBRONCO
12-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Wisc job is now open

NFLBRONCO
12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
I was kind of hoping Bohn would go after a top asst in the first place. Since we are on life support right now. Maybe they would accept the challenge.

theAPAOps5
12-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Wisc job is now open

Which is light years ahead of CU in terms of the health of the program.

bronco militia
12-04-2012, 01:58 PM
I was kind of hoping Bohn would go after a top asst in the first place. Since we are on life support right now. Maybe they would accept the challenge.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvAquV4OlXTxNJwyFBzbitKgxYjKgpi dZLJNvPmnoITExhDypwiAmBwP2tYg

http://ibankcoin.com/chessnwine/files/2011/06/finish-him.gif

http://images.tzaam.com/full/lk.jpg

razorwire77
12-04-2012, 02:08 PM

I know it's not what people want to hear, but CU might actually need two coaching hires over several years to put out the dumpster fire. For now, I'd hire a tough experienced veteran coach, in particular a guy that will instill a proven system and play sound defense. You're probably not going to go BCS bowling with this type of guy, but see if he can string together a couple of .500ish seasons and hope he can have a break through in year 3. If not, replace him with the top assistant coach after the bleeding has been stopped and the program has stabilized. In the meantime get an IPF built and start keeping up with the stadium arm's race.

NFLBRONCO
12-04-2012, 02:20 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvAquV4OlXTxNJwyFBzbitKgxYjKgpi dZLJNvPmnoITExhDypwiAmBwP2tYg

Maybe Bohn will resort to contacting Valors HC they won state title 4 yrs in a row.

bronco militia
12-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Maybe Bohn will resort to contacting Valors HC they won state title 4 yrs in a row.

"Brent Vieselmeyer has always been our #1 choice...."

ZZZ...

razorwire77
12-04-2012, 02:22 PM

I wonder if she's a girl and a terrible kicker?

Goobzilla
12-04-2012, 03:49 PM
This Wisconsin job really drops a turd in the old punchbowl. That's a no brainer for Butch if they show an interest in him. Bohn was full of bluster at the beginning and is going to look like a fool when they land some no name.

pricejj
12-04-2012, 04:07 PM
This Wisconsin job really drops a turd in the old punchbowl. That's a no brainer for Butch if they show an interest in him. Bohn was full of bluster at the beginning and is going to look like a fool when they land some no name.

As usual...every single year has been progressively worse under his time as AD, mostly due to his poor timing of hiring/firing coaches, and the guys he has brought in.

So what are they going to do now? Offer a D-II guy or OC/DC just as much as money as John Fox is making?

Bohn also said they would get a coach hired within 10 days. That deadline is tomorrow.

DomCasual
12-04-2012, 04:16 PM
As usual...every single year has been progressively worse under his time as AD, mostly due to his poor timing of hiring/firing coaches, and the guys he has brought in.

So what are they going to do now? Offer a D-II guy or OC/DC just as much as money as John Fox is making?

Bohn also said they would get a coach hired within 10 days. That deadline is tomorrow.

Well, if you believe most of the rumors, Bronco Mendenhall of BYU is his second choice. But for a lot of reasons, I don't think that is happening.

NFLBRONCO
12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Well, if you believe most of the rumors, Bronco Mendenhall of BYU is his second choice. But for a lot of reasons, I don't think that is happening.

I don't want him but, probably won't be crazy about anyone they hire.

Mountain Bronco
12-04-2012, 04:51 PM
No news is bad news for CU.

theAPAOps5
12-04-2012, 05:34 PM
No news is bad news for CU.

Yep I agree

broncswin
12-04-2012, 07:01 PM
God this is gross...just gonna keep with my team and hope for the best...went through this with my Hoosiers and they finally pulled out of the dive.....Go Buffs

spdirty
12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Well if you can't sell Boulder and 13.5 million to Butch Jones, it's really time to pack your bags.

Just quit being a dumbass and hire Petrino. He's a douche and I despise him, but he'll win and leave the program in good shape in 3-4 years.

Tombstone RJ
12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
lol, a monkey could do a better job than Bohn and the CU administration...

SoCalBronco
12-04-2012, 10:34 PM
I think Butch Jones to CU is becoming closer to reality now. It appears Wisconsin will target former OC and current Pitt Coach Paul Chryst and Purdue, who you guys were apparently competing for Jones with, is about to hire the Kent St. coach. Charlie Strong appears Tennessee bound.

NFLBRONCO
12-04-2012, 10:36 PM
I think Butch Jones to CU is becoming closer to reality now. It appears Wisconsin will target former OC and current Pitt Coach Paul Chryst and Purdue, who you guys were apparently competing for Jones with, is about to hire the Kent St. coach. Charlie Strong appears Tennessee bound.

I think its more about him staying at Cincy or going to CU

SoCalBronco
12-04-2012, 10:41 PM
I think its more about him staying at Cincy or going to CU

With the type of money you guys are throwing around, I think you'll get a decent coach. Jones has done a decent job at Cincy, not quite as good as Kelly obviously, but he's kept it afloat. I dunno how he would do against Pac 12 competition, as there are alot of good coaches in that conference. I think it will take a little while regardless of who it is, but I think you guys could get back to 7-8 wins a year in a few years time.

Whoever you pick, just stay away from Al Golden, please. ;D

NFLBRONCO
12-04-2012, 10:44 PM
With the type of money you guys are throwing around, I think you'll get a decent coach. Jones has done a decent job at Cincy, not quite as good as Kelly obviously, but he's kept it afloat. I dunno how he would do against Pac 12 competition, as there are alot of good coaches in that conference. I think it will take a little while regardless of who it is, but I think you guys could get back to 7-8 wins a year in a few years time.

Whoever you pick, just stay away from Al Golden, please. ;D

Golden was my next choice but, its not the way bohnhead would go

Rohirrim
12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Still waiting...

play Jeopardy music...

Meanwhile back in Boulder, athletic director Mike Bohn and several assistants gathered in a small conference room where pictures of CU's previous ADs adorn the walls just off the athletic director's main office and discussed their options if Jones turns them down.

Sources said they wrote at least one new name down on a dry-erase board. CU officials would be interested in talking with Fresno State coach Tim DeRuyter, San Jose State coach Mike McIntyre and at least one other possible candidate whom they only began to consider Tuesday.

CU has either ruled out or been told there is no reciprocal interest from candidates such as Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe, Brigham Young coach Bronco Mendenhall and Utah State coach Gary Andersen.

Read more: http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_22126891/butch-jones-undecided-cu-buffs-offer?source=most_viewed#ixzz2ECFraeMj
Coloradodaily.com

Lestat
12-05-2012, 11:01 AM
doubt Chryst leaves Pitt. they more than likely will go after a NFL guy who's an assistant.

Obushma
12-05-2012, 11:32 AM

I honestly hope CU hires Mendenhall, that way the Utes could own the Buffs just like they do the Kitty's.

You dont hire a head coach who publicly stated that football comes in as his 5th priority in life, thats not the guy whos going to rebuild CU.

NFLBRONCO
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I honestly hope CU hires Mendenhall, that way the Utes could own the Buffs just like they do the Kitty's.

You dont hire a head coach who publicly stated that football comes in as his 5th priority in life, thats not the guy whos going to rebuild CU.

The plan B list

San Jose St HC
Fresno ST HC
One newly added name no idea who

from daily camera

All the rest aren't interested

SoCalBronco
12-05-2012, 01:17 PM
The plan B list

San Jose St HC
Fresno ST HC
One newly added name no idea who

from daily camera

All the rest aren't interested

Garbage plan B list. JMO.

milehighJC
12-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Wonder who is on the plan C list? Might even take a plan D.

NFLBRONCO
12-05-2012, 01:45 PM

yep nothing to get excited about at all. I'm still amazed that CSU landed their coach makes Bohn look like a bigger idiot.

CSU is in better shape but, by how much?

NFLBRONCO
12-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm glad Jones isn't an EMT I'd die on the ground before he decided to help me

SoCalBronco
12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm glad Jones isn't an EMT I'd die on the ground before he decided to help me

Lol

Requiem
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Stay way from NDSU's coach CU.

ColoradoBuff
12-05-2012, 02:51 PM
i want Al Golden.....

NFLBRONCO
12-05-2012, 03:10 PM
i want Al Golden.....

me too

colorado jones
12-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Jones is hired per DP.

pricejj
12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
All you have to do is leave CU in better shape than you found it, Butch.

DomCasual
12-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Jones is hired per DP.

Wow. Honestly, I'm shocked. I figured with the delay, and the comments he was making at the press conferences, the writing was on the wall - he was going to stay at Cincinnati. I'm happy, though. This saves CU from an embarrassing situation.

colorado jones
12-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Wow. Honestly, I'm shocked. I figured with the delay, and the comments he was making at the press conferences, the writing was on the wall - he was going to stay at Cincinnati. I'm happy, though. This saves CU from an embarrassing situation.

This is exactly how I feel Dom.

broncswin
12-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Good deal...I think :/ here's to hoping for some magic

bfoflcommish
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Not official yet, even buff hire ups are sdaying not yet. can they make themselves look any worse?

Hercules Rockefeller
12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Not official yet, even buff hire ups are sdaying not yet. can they make themselves look any worse?

What exactly has CU done to look so bad during this search? Not gotten their 1st or possibly 2nd choice? OMFG the horror! Saban was Alabama's 2nd choice, Pete Carroll was USC's 4th.

spdirty
12-05-2012, 04:29 PM

It's not the Buffs, it's the Denver Post that jumped the gun on this.

bfoflcommish
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
What exactly has CU done to look so bad during this search? Not gotten their 1st or possibly 2nd choice? OMFG the horror! Saban was Alabama's 2nd choice, Pete Carroll was USC's 4th.

you're right, things are looking up for the buffs football program.

bfoflcommish
12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
It's not the Buffs, it's the Denver Post that jumped the gun on this.

and where do you think the info came from? Butch himself just said its not done. so that leaves only 1 side who can leak it

extralife
12-05-2012, 04:32 PM

like every other coach ditching a college program, he had to have one final press conference where he insists he is not leaving his old job. it's kind of like a tradition.

spdirty
12-05-2012, 04:35 PM
and where do you think the info came from? Butch himself just said its not done. so that leaves only 1 side who can leak it

Who knows? But its on the post to make sure their information is correct before reporting it.

bfoflcommish
12-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Who knows? But its on the post to make sure their information is correct before reporting it.

oh i fully agree with that statement, but like i said it leaked from one side.

Mountain Bronco
12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

That isn't exactly true. They have to make reasonable efforts, which usually means verifying information from one source with at least one separate source before printing, but do not have to make sure it is correct. If they had to make sure it was correct or 100% accurate, then nothing would ever be "broken" in the news world until organizations issued press releases.

If they get Butch, they don't look bad at all, in fact I think this actually helps CU. They got their first choice, a coach from a BCS conference school with a good track record.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
oh i fully agree with that statement, but like i said it leaked from one side.

Not necessarily. False statements happen all the time.

Careful when dealing with "sources inside the organization/department tell me"

DomCasual
12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
What a cluster.

I hope this doesn't turn into a thing where he gets miffed about it getting released early, and changes his mind. He seems pretty adamant about it not being true. Someone needs to get Nick Athan on the line and ask him if "the deal is done."

Were in a Cracker Barrel in the middle of waiting for our plane and my phone blows up that Ive accepted the Colorado job, Jones said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121205/SPT0101/312040032/Butch-Jones-denies-report-he-s-leaving?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|UC

KipCorrington25
12-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Kind of sick of this guy already, **** or get off the pot.

broncswin
12-05-2012, 06:35 PM

I agree...wtf!!

tonngo0
12-05-2012, 06:38 PM
CU needs to go to plan B ... C ... or D.

Rohirrim
12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Maybe Butch was inspired by Peyton and wants to take a couple of weeks, touring. ;D

razorwire77
12-05-2012, 07:20 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8LzTW7NqY2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DomCasual
12-05-2012, 07:29 PM

DON'T SAY THAT!

Butch, if you're reading this, Kip didn't mean anything by that.

We're like a dorky fat kid that has inexplicably convinced the cheerleader to go with us to Prom. She might not want to really be seen with us in the hallways at school; and she might be insisting that we buy her an expensive dress, get a limo, etc. But at the end of the day, we didn't really have a lot of other options. The last thing we want to do is COMPLAIN!

So Butch, if you're reading this - and I'm quite sure you are - Kip really likes you. He was just messing around a little. I told him to stop, and he's cool with it.

theAPAOps5
12-05-2012, 07:46 PM
DON'T SAY THAT!

Butch, if you're reading this, Kip didn't mean anything by that.

We're like a dorky fat kid that has inexplicably convinced the cheerleader to go with us to Prom. She might not want to really be seen with us in the hallways at school; and she might be insisting that we buy her an expensive dress, get a limo, etc. But at the end of the day, we didn't really have a lot of other options. The last thing we want to do is COMPLAIN!

So Butch, if you're reading this - and I'm quite sure you are - Kip really likes you. He was just messing around a little. I told him to stop, and he's cool with it.

No, Butch if you are reading this, it's clear what you are doing. You don't want CU, you want CU's offer to drive up your offer at other schools. I hope it backfires, good day sir. If you happen to pick CU, well then you are awesome and forget what I just said.

broncswin
12-05-2012, 08:39 PM
No, Butch if you are reading this, it's clear what you are doing. You don't want CU, you want CU's offer to drive up your offer at other schools. I hope it backfires, good day sir. If you happen to pick CU, well then you are awesome and forget what I just said.

Lmao...this is what I was thinking...exactly!!! Don't be a b$$ch Butch, sign the damn contract