PDA

View Full Version : Broncos release running back Jeremiah Johnson from practice squad

baja
11-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Broncos release running back Jeremiah Johnson from practice squad
POSTED: 11/23/2012 04:05:48 PM MST
UPDATED: 11/23/2012 04:07:16 PM MSTBy Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Jeremiah Johnson (Denver Post file)
The Broncos started the week with five running backs. They now have three.

In a procedural move, the Broncos released running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad Friday with the plan of re-signing him back early next week. The move was made because the Broncos only have 52 players on their 53-man roster after starting tailback Willis McGahee was placed Wednesday on injured reserve with a designation to return.

Because Johnson has three years of NFL service, the Broncos had to either promote Johnson from the practice squad to fill the vacated spot on the 53-man roster or release him. The Broncos have decided instead to take on the Kansas City Chiefs this Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium with a three-man, running-back committee of Knowshon Moreno, Lance Ball and Ronnie Hillman.

Read more: Broncos release running back Jeremiah Johnson from practice squad - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22054925/broncos-release-running-back-jeremiah-johnson-from-practice#ixzz2D9X0eb3g
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

lolcopter
11-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Cue OM meltdown in 3, 2, 1...

g6matty
11-24-2012, 08:11 AM
but he was the best running back we have .

Bigdawg26
11-24-2012, 08:16 AM
I hope we bring him back. He's alot better than Ball and Mareno.

Beantown Bronco
11-24-2012, 08:19 AM
He'll be the next Chad Mustard.

baja
11-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Maybe this is a way to circumvent the PS rules and activate him. It seems so odd to release him now with McGahee down.

Heyneck
11-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Maybe this is a way to circumvent the PS rules and activate him. It seems so odd to release him now with McGahee down.

he was releases... not promoted. No way he can get activated. But you are right... it is odd for them to do so right now. For me, it's a sign that we will sign one of the 2 RB we tried out this week, and use his spot on the PS on another developing player.

theAPAOps5
11-24-2012, 09:51 AM

Yet he was on the practice squad..... Because he is so much better than those two. That's exactly how the NFL works.

baja
11-24-2012, 09:54 AM
First line in article;

"In a procedural move, the Broncos released running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad Friday with the plan of re-signing him back early next week."

theAPAOps5
11-24-2012, 10:00 AM

No, they had to release him or sign him to the active roster prior to the game. They probably weren't ready to sign a RB they tried out and he has very little time left of PS eligibility. I am not sure if adding him to the roster would have burnt it all up or not. So they take a risk releasing him but if a team was going to take him they would have tried to snag him of the PS already.

They probably still see potential in him but do not think he is ready for full time participation on the squad and they will continue to keep kicking tires on retread RB's.

theAPAOps5
11-24-2012, 10:02 AM
First line in article;

"In a procedural move, the Broncos released running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad Friday with the plan of re-signing him back early next week."

Second line.

Lestat
11-24-2012, 10:11 AM
i'm still trying to figure out how Lance Ball is better than him. but whatever.

baja
11-24-2012, 10:13 AM

he protects Peyton Manning.

What's that worth to you?

errand
11-24-2012, 10:21 AM

.. yes, because practice squad = a lot better

Hamrob
11-24-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm surprised we haven't signed a big back. Defenses are going to come after Manning on 3rd down. Sure, if anyone can handle that, it's Manning....but still.

baja
11-24-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm surprised we haven't signed a big back. Defenses are going to come after Manning on 3rd down. Sure, if anyone can handle that, it's Manning....but still.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosspecial/ci_22050847?source=jBar

swaiy
11-24-2012, 10:33 AM
.. yes, because practice squad = a lot better

Worked for Arian Foster ???

Hercules Rockefeller
11-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Foster was on the PS for half a season, this is Johnson's 3rd. What a great comparison.

DBroncos4life
11-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Having a running back worth a damn at running the ball seems to be too much to ask for I guess.

theAPAOps5
11-24-2012, 10:57 AM

So you think Jeremiah Johnson is as good as Arian Foster?

baja
11-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Having a running back worth a damn at running the ball seems to be too much to ask for I guess.

Well we don't have one right now. Maybe KM or Hillman will come on but you just don't snap your fingers and appear one. In the mean time we got Ball who is a hell of a blocker on third down and he can catch and run enough to be a threat.

errand
11-24-2012, 11:02 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why so many OMers fall in love with guys who can't make any roster on any NFL team, but to each his own.....

oubronco
11-24-2012, 11:05 AM
he was releases... not promoted. No way he can get activated. But you are right... it is odd for them to do so right now. For me, it's a sign that we will sign one of the 2 RB we tried out this week, and use his spot on the PS on another developing player.

the Broncos released running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad Friday with the plan of re-signing him back early next week

Read more: Broncos release running back Jeremiah Johnson from practice squad - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22054925/broncos-release-running-back-jeremiah-johnson-from-practice#ixzz2DAGf2lGf
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

DBroncos4life
11-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Well we don't have one right now. Maybe KM or Hillman will come on but you just don't snap your fingers and appear one. In the mean time we got Ball who is a hell of a blocker on third down and he can catch and run enough to be a threat.

I think everyone in the world knew that Denver didn't have a running back able to run after McGahee. The FO didn't need to snap the fingers they just needed to be prepared for something like this. Moreno and Hillman should be on the roster. They had all offseason to do something to improve on Ball.

Having a guy that is good at blocking like Ball is great but it still is a liability for Manning. Ball comes in teams know he is in there to block not run so they can send more people. One missed block and bam down goes Manning.

errand
11-24-2012, 11:11 AM

so you found one exception to counter the many nameless clowns known as the rule?

Is JJ in your mind, potentially the next Arian Foster?

OBF1
11-24-2012, 11:14 AM
This move will either shut up or fire up the Jeremiah Johnson cult following we have.

IF this kid is half of what people here think he is, He will be picked up by another team, If he does not get picked up and lands back on the PS, He is who we thought he was.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
He could have been signed to anyone's active roster at any time as a member of the PS, no team thinks he's better than any RB they currently have on their roster.

errand
11-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Having a guy that is good at blocking like Ball is great but it still is a liability for Manning. Ball comes in teams know he is in there to block not run so they can send more people. One missed block and bam down goes Manning.

In fairness to Ball, he had 35 yards on 6 carries with a longest of 14 (5.8 ypa) in our last game, and his only extended amount of work the past few weeks.

And on 1st down with 10 yards to go, he's actually done quite well...12-63-5.7ypa

and for those worried he can't run between the tackles...his numbers say otherwise 15-62 for a 4.1 ypa.

By contrast Hillman on 1st and 10 has 31-154 (5.0 ypa.) but has struggled between the tackles with 43 yards on 17 attempts (2.5 ypa)

Granted they're not McGahee, but they've shown something to the coaching staff that makes them have confidence in their ability to help this team make plays in the run game..

baja
11-24-2012, 11:38 AM
I think everyone in the world knew that Denver didn't have a running back able to run after McGahee. The FO didn't need to snap the fingers they just needed to be prepared for something like this. Moreno and Hillman should be on the roster. They had all offseason to do something to improve on Ball.

Good just what we want or do you think Manning can't beat a 6 man rush with a quick out, he's only the best ever at it.

Broncojef
11-24-2012, 11:40 AM
John knows what a big time runningback can mean to a team. He wouldn't have won crap without TD. How we can continue to prance out such crap behind the QB is amazing, its been our biggest weakness on this team by far. Moreno will run like a stud for 5 plays, fumble and get hurt and Lance Ball whose best attribute is blocking for Peyton will be our go to guy again. Thank God we are playing the Chefs.

baja
11-24-2012, 11:42 AM
John knows what a big time runningback can mean to a team. He wouldn't have won crap without TD. How we can continue to prance out such crap behind the QB is amazing, its been our biggest weakness on this team by far. Moreno will run like a stud for 5 plays, fumble and get hurt and Lance Ball whose best attribute is blocking for Peyton will be our go to guy again. Thank God we are playing the Chefs.

You can't fix everything in one season

enjolras
11-24-2012, 11:42 AM

Yet the offense puts up better than 26 points a game every week. I'll take those results.

DBroncos4life
11-24-2012, 11:58 AM
In fairness to Ball, he had 35 yards on 6 carries with a longest of 14 (5.8 ypa) in our last game, and his only extended amount of work the past few weeks.

And on 1st down with 10 yards to go, he's actually done quite well...12-63-5.7ypa

and for those worried he can't run between the tackles...his numbers say otherwise 15-62 for a 4.1 ypa.

By contrast Hillman on 1st and 10 has 31-154 (5.0 ypa.) but has struggled between the tackles with 43 yards on 17 attempts (2.5 ypa)

Granted they're not McGahee, but they've shown something to the coaching staff that makes them have confidence in their ability to help this team make plays in the run game..
Ball touched the ball 9 times last game and fumbled once. When the game was on the line they gave the ball to Hillman to run the clock out pounding in between the tackles.

DBroncos4life
11-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Good just what we want or do you think Manning can't beat a 6 man rush with a quick out, he's only the best ever at it.

Just because the ball is getting out quick doesn't mean Manning won't take a shot or two he doesn't need to take.

baja
11-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Just because the ball is getting out quick doesn't mean Manning won't take a shot or two he doesn't need to take.

Well there you go. You defeated your own argument against Ball because that is exactly why Ball, a lesser back, is playing

DBroncos4life
11-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Well there you go. You defeated your own argument against Ball because that is exactly why Ball, a lesser back, is playing

No I didn't. Ball can't block everyone man. You act like Ball can block multiple blitzing people.

Bigdawg26
11-24-2012, 12:09 PM
So you think Jeremiah Johnson is as good as Arian Foster?

No but sure as sh!t better than Mareno (who is inactive for a reason) and Ball who has more experience than Johnson.

baja
11-24-2012, 12:15 PM
No I didn't. Ball can't block everyone man. You act like Ball can block multiple blitzing people.

You said they would rush more people because Ball is not a threat to run successfully (which is not true, he is a thread abit he's not McGahee)

The truth is Ball is the best back we have to off set that very rush you said he would allow to happen.

IE best line up to protect Manning the very point I have tried to make on this issue.

Ask yourself this. Why activate Ball at all if blocking is not a huge asset with him in the game.

DBroncos4life
11-24-2012, 12:24 PM
You said they would rush more people because Ball is not a threat to run successfully (which is not true, he is a thread abit he's not McGahee)

The truth is Ball is the best back we have to off set that very rush you said he would allow to happen.

IE best line up to protect Manning the very point I have tried to make on this issue.

Ask yourself this. Why activate Ball at all if blocking is not a huge asset with him in the game.

Ball plays on SP teams why Moreno doesn't.

errand
11-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Ball touched the ball 9 times last game and fumbled once. When the game was on the line they gave the ball to Hillman to run the clock out pounding in between the tackles.

Yes he did fumble...every RB we've trotted out there has fumbled...Peyton has fumbled as well....

Look, I would love to have Adrian Peterson but we don't...and we can piss and moan about woulda shoulda coulda, but the bottom line is we have Ball, and Moreno and Hillman....which is who we're gonna have to hope perform well enough because I doubt the Vikings are gonna release AD

errand
11-24-2012, 12:32 PM
No but sure as **** better than Mareno (who is inactive for a reason) and Ball who has more experience than Johnson.

so the guys that beat Johnson out for a job and are actually on the roster are not better than the guy they beat out who isn't on the roster and is being released from the practice squad? Is that your final answer?

Got it!

theAPAOps5
11-24-2012, 12:34 PM
No but sure as **** better than Mareno (who is inactive for a reason) and Ball who has more experience than Johnson.

Yet he remained on the Practice Squad........

DBroncos4life
11-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Yes he did fumble...every RB we've trotted out there has fumbled...Peyton has fumbled as well....

Look, I would love to have Adrian Peterson but we don't...and we can piss and moan about woulda shoulda coulda, but the bottom line is we have Ball, and Moreno and Hillman....which is who we're gonna have to hope perform well enough because I doubt the Vikings are gonna release AD

This has nothing to do with needing the best RB in the NFL as our back up RB. This has everything to do with us needing a better back up RB then Ball. It's too late to find one now clearly, though I do feel that had Slaton had a full off season with us he would be better then Ball.

Again just because Ball is the "best" we have now doesn't mean he is the best we could have done.

Inkana7
11-24-2012, 12:41 PM
If Ball wasn't so ****ty at holding on to the football, I'd be comfortable with him as a backup. He's average at just about everything, which is what you want from a backup. But he can do it all. Moreno will get his chance and Hillman will probably keep his same role, with maybe a few more carries. I just wish we'd run one, just one pitch play this year. Have we done that yet?

As for JJ, I am drawn to his skillset, but there has to be some reason that he's on the PS and Ball is on the active roster.

baja
11-24-2012, 12:41 PM

Sure that is part of it but the bigger part is Manning feels comfortable with Ball's blocking.

baja
11-24-2012, 12:46 PM
This has nothing to do with needing the best RB in the NFL as our back up RB. This has everything to do with us needing a better back up RB then Ball. It's too late to find one now clearly, though I do feel that had Slaton had a full off season with us he would be better then Ball.

Again just because Ball is the "best" we have now doesn't mean he is the best we could have done.

There isn't a poster here that does not want a better running back but we are dealing in realities.

But this is shifting the argument from Ball's value as a blocker. He plays on certain downs because he protects our main asset, Peyton Manning.

If Peyton goes down it won't matter who the running back is.

errand
11-24-2012, 12:47 PM

Any team that blitzes Manning is taking a huge risk regardless.....

swaiy
11-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Foster was on the PS for half a season, this is Johnson's 3rd. What a great comparison.

Although, I probably could have made it less subtle, my post was merely sarcastic; which I thought was evident by the emoticon. Even more so, I thought you would have picked up on it with your 15K+ posting prowess. Instead, you opted for the smart ass remark only the irony is that your rather flat zinger failed. What a great response.

ZONA
11-24-2012, 01:02 PM
First line in article;

Just further example of what society has become. It's all about the headline. People read the headline only and think they know everything about what's been written. Then they make comments knowing nothing of the full facts.

Stupid people, they're everywhere.

errand
11-24-2012, 01:06 PM

Perhaps...

nobody is arguing Ball is better than anyone save for perhaps Jeremiah Johnson who was on our practice squad. But the coaching staff and FO, who have proven that they actually DO know what the **** they're doing (contrary to the numerous wannabe coaches and GM's on this very site) kept McGahee, Moreno, and Ball, and drafted Hillman.....

they felt confident that those guys would produce a decent enough rushing attack to make Manning's offense work at a high level. and you cannot discount their ability to protect the QB in passing situations.....

We might run roughshod over the Chiefs or we may end up with egg on our face because we didn't pursue the Steve Slaton's of the world...who knows? I'll say let's see who plays and how well they do this upcoming game first before we start pushing the panic button?

Now if they **** the bed, then yeah maybe we need to look elsewhere and potentially upgrade the RB position. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by how well Hillman, Moreno, and Ball perform, especially catching some dump offs by Manning (just one man's opinion)

Mogulseeker
11-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Personally I think HB is the most over rated position in football. But I get what you're saying... Moreno has shown flashes, but the fumbles and the injuries are hard to overcome. Ball, is just a gamer - and overachiever who plays lights out, an I think that's why they like him.

Dutch
11-24-2012, 01:11 PM

Soooooo, you're basically leveling the criticism at the front office for not having a better back up plan? The same front office who had the foresight to sign how many FA additions that are making significant contributions and have improved this team at virtually every position group substantially in just 2 years? Gotcha:thumbs:! Whatever:oyvey:.......

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Personally I think HB is the most over rated position in football..

I don't think it's as relavent as the 80s 90s. SB winner was ranked dead last In Rushing while 1st ranked got blown out of the playoffs. It's a QB passing league now with the way the rules have manipulated the game. Smart teams with good QBs take advantage of this. Games are won through the air these days.

KipCorrington25
11-24-2012, 01:34 PM
And now somehow Belicheat will sneak in and sign the guy just to **** us over.

Bmore Manning
11-24-2012, 01:41 PM
The fortunate part about the NFL draft and the RB position is that there is usually great value in the middle and later rounds. And the RB position is much much easier to transition to from college to the NFL and make a quick and helpful impact to a team.

DBroncos4life
11-24-2012, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=DBroncos4life;3734964]This has nothing to do with needing the best RB in the NFL as our back up RB. This has everything to do with us needing a better back up RB then Ball. It's too late to find one now clearly, though I do feel that had Slaton had a full off season with us he would be better then Ball.

Soooooo, you're basically leveling the criticism at the front office for not having a better back up plan? The same front office who had the foresight to sign how many FA additions that are making significant contributions and have improved this team at virtually every position group substantially in just 2 years? Gotcha:thumbs:! Whatever:oyvey:.......

Yes dumbass so the FO can't be held accountable for not getting a better backup RB because they did so many other amazing things? I always thought you gave credit when to what they did do right and criticized the bad. I love the FO and most of the moves they made since being here, that doesn't mean I will jerk them off in the mens room for Ball being on the roster because they landed Manning.

Bmore Manning
11-24-2012, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=Dutch;3734994]

Yes dumbass so the FO can be held accountable for not getting a better backup RB because they did so many other amazing things. I always thought you gave credit when to what they did do right and criticized the bad. I love the FO and most of the moves they made since being here, that doesn't mean I will jerk them off in the mens room for Ball being on the roster because they landed Manning.

Lol!

Agamemnon
11-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Talk about a baffling move...

Mogulseeker
11-24-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't think it's as relavent as the 80s 90s. SB winner was ranked dead last In Rushing while 1st ranked got blown out of the playoffs. It's a QB passing league now with the way the rules have manipulated the game. Smart teams with good QBs take advantage of this. Games are won through the air these days.

Kinda strange that a receiving, blocking back like Moreno isn't shining in today's NFL.

There are things to like about Moreno... he does have a slow first step, and that it why he hasn't clicked at the NFL level yet, but I like how he always seems to get yards after the first hit, even at 205. Plus last season before the injury, he seemed to kill the screen passes every time he got an opportunity.

Remember, the dude was a consensus top 15 pick...

Agamemnon
11-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Kinda strange that a receiving, blocking back like Moreno isn't shining in today's NFL.

There are things to like about Moreno... he does have a slow first step, and that it why he hasn't clicked at the NFL level yet, but I like how he always seems to get yards after the first hit, even at 205. Plus last season before the injury, he seemed to kill the screen passes every time he got an opportunity.

Hard to shine when your always injured.

Bigdawg26
11-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Not just a slow first step! A slow first 40 steps because didn't he run like 4.69 n 4.7 in the 40?

Bigdawg26
11-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Yet he remained on the Practice Squad........

Well technically not because he was just cut :). The guy has got really good potential and could do a way better job than Mareno and Ball (who I really can't stand as a RB).

theAPAOps5
11-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Well technically not because he was just cut :). The guy has got really good potential and could do a way better job than Mareno and Ball (who I really can't stand as a RB).

Thus the past tense remained on the Practice Squad, as opposed to remains on the Practice Squad.

I think if he was that much better he would be on the active roster. I understand he flashes potential but we don't get to see practice everyday. Clearly the coaches don't see him being better.

Bmore Manning
11-24-2012, 03:00 PM
This is KM's last chance.. RB's in the NFL are a dime a dozen, especially back-ups. Back-ups who can't stay healthy, who can't play special teams, who haven't lived up to their draft status or contract.

Maybe we will see the kid who used to hurdle defenders who were practically standing up..
He should be desperate and hungry.. Let's see if he takes advantage of the opportunity.

2KBack
11-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Not just a slow first step! A slow first 40 steps because didn't he run like 4.69 n 4.7 in the 40?

Knowshon Moreno : 4.55
Jeremiah Johnson: 4.62

Mogulseeker
11-24-2012, 03:14 PM
I think Knowshon ran a 4.55, which is still slow for a sub 220lb back.

For what it's worth, he's still the second fastest back on the team after Hillman.

errand
11-24-2012, 03:17 PM

so he's not even the best player on the practice squad (afterall, he was the guy cut from it) and you still think he'll perform better than Moreno and Ball?

theAPAOps5
11-24-2012, 03:31 PM
so he's not even the best player on the practice squad (afterall, he was the guy cut from it) and you still think he'll perform better than Moreno and Ball?

They had no choice on who to cut. Because of his tenure they had to either sign him to fill the empty RB position or cut him from the PS. They chose to cut him. Pretty ballsy since he is better than Knowshow and fumBall

DBroncos4life
11-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Well he has out rushed both Ball and Moreno in a regular season last year in two games so..

Tombstone RJ
11-24-2012, 04:04 PM
I hope KM sets the single game rushing record against KC and his jersey is sent to Canton.

Bigdawg26
11-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Given what I seen from Mareno and Ball the last couple of games they played yeah!

Broncojef
11-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Personally I think HB is the most over rated position in football. But I get what you're saying... Moreno has shown flashes, but the fumbles and the injuries are hard to overcome. Ball, is just a gamer - and overachiever who plays lights out, an I think that's why they like him.

I get the serviceable doesn't have to be TD angle of the argument. A solid guy who stays healthy and holds on to the football would be an overachiever with this group. Good luck Moreno, maybe you can get some flashy dances in tomorrow before you hobble off the field again.

pricejj
11-24-2012, 06:05 PM
They had no choice on who to cut. Because of his tenure they had to either sign him to fill the empty RB position or cut him from the PS. They chose to cut him. Pretty ballsy since he is better than Knowshow and fumBall

JJ - This. The Broncos only have 52 players on their roster right now. If they were to move JJ to the roster, he would lose his remaining PS eligibility. Due to NFL rules, they would be forced to move him to the roster this week to fill the roster space (because he has the most seniority on the PS).

Knowshon - Not only is Knowshon too slow to run around the edge, he is too light to pick up good yardage between the tackles. Not only that, but he is injury prone (injured groin Thursday), and has no vision. That being said, I hope he is the next coming of Herschel Walker, because we need him now like no other. It's make it or break it time...he's due $3.5M in 2013, and they won't keep him unless he makes a BIG impact on the rest of the 2012 season. He pretty much has to become the go-to guy, or it's sayonara

Ball - Had a nice run over the right side against the Chargers...and a fumble. All we need is consistency.

Hillman - The dude has the speed, and is fearless. I hope he develops better vision in between the tackles.. He keeps leaving yards on the field by cutting into would be tacklers instead of running through the hole.

Hamrob
11-24-2012, 06:26 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosspecial/ci_22050847?source=jBarGood article. I don't think it will take us very long to see what a disadvantage it is....to not have a banger in there.

I think this is a big whiff by our coaching staff and front office. We have the spot on the roster right now. If we signed a guy like Hester...it will take a week of two for them to learn our plays....therefore, we are waisting time...by not signing him or someone like him now.

How difficult is it for Fox to understand...that a 200lb back isn't going to convert 3rd and 1? Maybe he thinks Gronkowski can take those reps.

RaiderH8r
11-24-2012, 07:14 PM

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised to see Moreno get more and more PT as we go forward, assuming we don't sign new talent. He should be champing at the bit to prove something and this is likely his last chance to do it. He's the best all around back of the three. I'm not saying he'll be pro bowl but he likely gets some reps and the coaching staff judges him play by play. He ****s the bed once and he could be done. Not just in Denver, but the NFL.

Bacchus
11-24-2012, 08:07 PM

He also plays multiple special teams and is a good receiver.

Bacchus
11-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Talk about a baffling move...

Why is it a baffling move?

theAPAOps5
11-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Good article. I don't think it will take us very long to see what a disadvantage it is....to not have a banger in there.

I think this is a big whiff by our coaching staff and front office. We have the spot on the roster right now. If we signed a guy like Hester...it will take a week of two for them to learn our plays....therefore, we are waisting time...by not signing him or someone like him now.

How difficult is it for Fox to understand...that a 200lb back isn't going to convert 3rd and 1? Maybe he thinks Gronkowski can take those reps.

I am going to take a wild guess that you are one of those guys who bitch when they get something for free and it isn't exactly to your liking. No need to answer this is a rhetorical question.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Good article. I don't think it will take us very long to see what a disadvantage it is....to not have a banger in there.

In case you haven't noticed, McGahee wasn't exactly a beast on 3rd and 1 either

razorwire77
11-24-2012, 10:47 PM
What do you make of a situation where a team is razor thin at RB and yet instead of moving a RB from their practice squad to their active roster they cut him out right?

I'm going to go with the Broncos think Jermiah Johnson sucks ass for the win!

Bacchus
11-24-2012, 10:49 PM
What do you make of a situation where a team is razor thin at RB and yet instead of moving a RB from their practice squad to their active roster they cut him out right?

I'm going to go with the Broncos think Jermiah Johnson sucks ass for the win!

They'll just re-sign him after he clears wavers, not rocket science. My thinking is they have some one specific they are thinking about for the active roste, probably someone a little bigger to do the inside running McGahee was good at.

razorwire77
11-24-2012, 10:57 PM
They'll just re-sign him after he clears wavers, not rocket science. My thinking is they have some one specific they are thinking about for the active roste, probably someone a little bigger to do the inside running McGahee was good at.

Well we're down to a 3rd round draft pick and youngest player in the league, Lance Ball and Knowshon Moreno at RB, and you're a RB on our practice squad, but we aren't going to activate you, instead we are going to try to sign an unknown guy off of the street because "he's a little bigger" and then we'll sign you back again after you clear waivers.

Yep, that just screams confidence in Jeremiah Johnson to me!

Bacchus
11-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Well we're down to a 3rd round draft pick and youngest player in the league, Lance Ball and Knowshon Moreno at RB, and you're a RB on our practice squad, but we aren't going to activate you, instead we are going to try to sign an unknown guy off of the street because "he's a little bigger" and then we'll sign you back again after you clear waivers.

Yep, that just screams confidence in Jeremiah Johnson to me!

I agree with you. I have been on the Johnson bandwagon since preseason. I guess Fox disagrees.

razorwire77
11-24-2012, 11:37 PM
I agree with you. I have been on the Johnson bandwagon since preseason. I guess Fox disagrees.

I hear you. We all have our over-hyped PS running-back man crushes (see my adopt a bronco.)

With JJ, I honestly think he was signed and is now sort of a carryover from when the team was flirting with incorporating some read option Urban Meyer Frankenstein offensive concepts with Timmy.

When you can't get on the active roster when the guys ahead of you are an inconsistent 3rd round 20-year-old rookie, Lance Ball and a gimpy Moreno, you're never going to get a shot.

Bacchus
11-24-2012, 11:43 PM
I hear you. We all have our over-hyped PS running-back man crushes (see my adopt a bronco.)

With JJ, I honestly think he was signed and is now sort of a carryover from when the team was flirting with incorporating some read option Urban Meyer Frankenstein offensive concepts with Timmy.

When you can't get on the active roster when the guys ahead of you are an inconsistent 3rd round 20-year-old rookie, Lance Ball and a gimpy Moreno, you're never going to get a shot.

I agree but then why would they re-sign him at all? Maybe they just think he needs another year of seasoning but if they don't think he can play they need to sign a different RB to the practice squad.

ZONA
11-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Hillman - The dude has the speed, and is fearless. I hope he develops better vision in between the tackles.. He keeps leaving yards on the field by cutting into would be tacklers instead of running through the hole.

That's what I see from as well, that he is not patient enough to work the seems. Just like most young RB's, they are so anxious to get yards, they either run into their own linemen or want to bounce it to the outside. This is one thing I really thought McGahee did well. He found those seems, doesn't stop his feet/legs to wait on holes, he controls his speed and when that seem is there it's much easier to accelerate into it if you have your body momentum going forward, even if it's slower. Young RB's want to stop and start again when the finally see a seem or hole and even though sometimes they are faster, they don't get through those seems in time because they've started, stopped and started again. Defensive players in the NFL will be all over your arse if you do that.

Bacchus
11-25-2012, 12:36 AM
That's what I see from as well, that he is not patient enough to work the seems. Just like most young RB's, they are so anxious to get yards, they either run into their own linemen or want to bounce it to the outside. This is one thing I really thought McGahee did well. He found those seems, doesn't stop his feet/legs to wait on holes, he controls his speed and when that seem is there it's much easier to accelerate into it if you have your body momentum going forward, even if it's slower. Young RB's want to stop and start again when the finally see a seem or hole and even though sometimes they are faster, they don't get through those seems in time because they've started, stopped and started again. Defensive players in the NFL will be all over your arse if you do that.

I don't see it. He does not look that fast to me. I think his 40 time is much faster than his actual football speed. I think Moreno is the better back right now at least until Hillman gets more experience.

Action
11-25-2012, 01:12 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img7/1467/wutbh.png

Ok...Johnson was released because of the eligibility rules of the practice squad and the fact that he has been on the practice squad for 2 years and he is on his 3rd year. Nothing to do with what the Broncos think of him.

In other words, it's just about money.

Since McGahee was put on IR, that put the the roster at 52. Johnson's PS eligibility rules state that he's allowed to be on the PS as long as the Broncos keep 53 active players on the roster... if there is any less at any point of the season, the Broncos have to sign him to an NFL roster contract or release him.

So at 52 players, Broncos had to sign him or release him.

They decided to release him because he obviously wasn't going to be used tomorrow in KC and who wants to pay someone an NFL game check for a game they won't play in?

theAPAOps5
11-25-2012, 01:19 AM

Ok...Johnson was released because of the eligibility rules of the practice squad and the fact that he has 8 games played in the NFL. Nothing to do with what the Broncos think of him.

Since McGahee was put on IR, that put the the roster at 52. Johnson's PS eligibility rules state that he's allowed to be on the PS as long as the Broncos keep 53 active players on the roster... if there is any less at any point of the season, the Broncos have to sign him to an NFL roster contract or release him.

They decided to release him because he obviously wasn't going to be used tomorrow in KC and who wants to pay someone an NFL game check for a game they won't play in?

Or the minor fact that the next game he is active for erases the remainder of his eligibility for the PS. So its more about the fact that they don't think he is worth it to keep on the active roster going forward and he doesn't suck so bad that they are willing to give up on his PS.

Action
11-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Or the minor fact that the next game he is active for erases the remainder of his eligibility for the PS. So its more about the fact that they don't think he is worth it to keep on the active roster going forward and he doesn't suck so bad that they are willing to give up on his PS.

Well, the article states that they plan on resigning him next week, meaning they'd have to sign him to the active roster on an NFL contract.

Only way he gets back on the PS is if they sign someone else to the active roster to make 53.

Bacchus
11-25-2012, 01:28 AM

Ok...Johnson was released because of the eligibility rules of the practice squad and the fact that he has been on the practice squad for 2 years and he is on his 3rd year. Nothing to do with what the Broncos think of him.

That pretty much sums it up.

theAPAOps5
11-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Well, the article states that they plan on resigning him next week, meaning they'd have to sign him to the active roster on an NFL contract.

Only way he gets back on the PS is if they sign someone else to the active roster to make 53.

They plan on resigning him next week. As in AFTER they sign another player to fill the 53rd position. Thus eliminating the requirement to sign him to the active roster.

Since he never touched an active roster he is still eligible for PS. If a team signs him between now and tuesday, well hope he stays with them because he won't ever be on a PS again.

Bacchus

No, that means if no one signs him to their active roster the Broncos will re-sign him to the practice squad.

theAPAOps5
That pretty much sums it up.

Except it doesn't

theAPAOps5
11-25-2012, 01:30 AM
No, that means if no one signs him to their active roster the Broncos will re-sign him to the practice squad.

Exact-o-mundo

Action
11-25-2012, 02:28 AM

The Broncos can't resign him to the practice squad unless Broncos sign someone else to make 53. He wouldn't be eligible.

Action
11-25-2012, 02:29 AM
They plan on resigning him next week. As in AFTER they sign another player to fill the 53rd position. Thus eliminating the requirement to sign him to the active roster.

Since he never touched an active roster he is still eligible for PS. If a team signs him between now and tuesday, well hope he stays with them because he won't ever be on a PS again.

The article doesn't state that they'll sign another player to make 53 as that is pure speculation on your part.

Bacchus
11-25-2012, 02:35 AM
The Broncos can't resign him to the practice squad unless Broncos sign someone else to make 53. He wouldn't be eligible.

Of course they are going to sign some one to the 53 man squad and once they do they will re-sign Johnson.

Action
11-25-2012, 02:37 AM
Of course they are going to sign some one to the 53 man squad and once they do they will re-sign Johnson.

Again, this is speculation. They could very well resign Johnson to the active roster.

Bacchus
11-25-2012, 03:03 AM
Again, this is speculation. They could very well resign Johnson to the active roster.

If they were going to sign JJ to the active roster than they never would have released him exposing him to other teams. They would have just signed him to the active roster.

theAPAOps5
11-25-2012, 03:07 AM
The article doesn't state that they'll sign another player to make 53 as that is pure speculation on your part.

No it's not speculation. You are the one assuming. He isn't sniffing the 53 man roster, you will see.

Action
11-25-2012, 03:34 AM
If they were going to sign JJ to the active roster than they never would have released him exposing him to other teams. They would have just signed him to the active roster.

You do realize that any team can sign him when he's on our practice squad right?

Action
11-25-2012, 03:34 AM
No it's not speculation. You are the one assuming. He isn't sniffing the 53 man roster, you will see.

I'm not saying he will or won't, all I'm saying is what the article clearly states.

Bacchus
11-25-2012, 03:39 AM
You do realize that any team can sign him when he's on our practice squad right?

Yes I realize that. I also realize that if Denver does not feel he is ready for the active roster they will cut him sign someone else to the 53 man squad then resign JJ to the pratice squad.

Not any team can just sign him off the practice squad though. There is time available where once a team knows another team wants to sign one of their players off the practice squad they can activate them first.

Agamemnon
11-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Why is it a baffling move?

Because they just lost their starting RB.

Bacchus
11-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Because they just lost their starting RB.

Yes, but they obviously do not feel that JJ should be on the active roster. My guess is they want a bigger back. They'll re-sign JJ if he clears waivers.