PDA

View Full Version : Broncos tid bits not worthy of a stand alone thread

baja
11-23-2012, 03:20 AM
eginning with Peyton Manning of the Broncos and Drew Brees of New Orleans, Denver cornerback Tracy Porter told reporters Thursday that this Broncos team compares favorably with the 2009 Super Bowl champion Saints.

Porter played four seasons for New Orleans before signing with the Broncos this season as an unrestricted free agent. He may be best known for intercepting Manning, then of Indianapolis, in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLIV and returning it 74 yards for a touchdown to give New Orleans a 14-point cushion.

“Absolutely,” Porter said of comparisons between the 2012 Broncos and 2009 Saints. “You have a quarterback who is a first-ballot hall of famer, you have an offense that among tops in the league.

“Then on defense, you have a ton of athletes, with four or five corners who can cover any receiver in the league. I will line up any corner (on the Broncos) with any receiver in this league and have the confidence they’ll get the job done.

“We definitely have the athletes on defense to stop these offenses. We have special teams with an electric returner (Trindon Holliday). You have to have all aspects (offense, defense, special teams) to be clicking for it to be a Super Bowl team.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/11/22/tracy-porter-broncos-compare-favorably-2009-saints/17086/#comment-44871

baja
11-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Broncos cornerback Tracy Porter has been cleared to play in a game.

That doesn’t mean he will. It just means the seizure symptoms that held him back in recent weeks are no longer stopping him.

“I finally made the plane,” Porter said. “Now, we’ll see if I make the field.”

Broncos coach John Fox said Porter would make the trip Friday to Kansas City, where the Broncos will play the Chiefs on Sunday. But with the way defensive backs Chris Harris and Tony Carter have been playing since Porter went down six weeks, don’t be surprised if Porter is among the game-day inactives.

“Chris and Tony, everybody has been playing great,” Porter said. “Why would you stop their chemistry? I wouldn’t stop that chemistry. We’ll see what happens.”

Porter has been down since he suffered light-headedness and a racing heart beat on Oct. 14, hours before the Broncos were to board a plane for San Diego and a Monday night game Oct. 15 against the Chargers. Porter hasn’t played since as the team’s medical staff was concerned that those same symptoms preceded a seizure Porter suffered during training camp during a defensive meeting between the Broncos’ first preseason game Aug. 9 in Chicago and second preseason game Aug. 18 against Seattle.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/11/22/tracy-porter-broncos-compare-favorably-2009-saints/17086/#comment-44871

baja
11-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Speaking with reporters Wednesday, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said he hopes veteran Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe will be healthy and ready for Sunday’s game in Kansas City.

A sixth-year pro, Bowe (6-foot-2, 221 pounds) did not catch a pass last week due to a neck problem. Bailey and Bowe have had some legendary battles.

“He’s tough, man,” Bailey said. “One thing about him, from the first snap to the last, you’re going to get everything you can from him.

“Whatever record they have, whatever they are, he’s going to play hard. I’ve always had a lot of respect for him, going about his business like that.

“During his career, I wish I had given him pointers,” Bailey added. “I wish I would have never done that. He’s grown up a lot. He’s a great pro. I expect his best shot.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/11/21/broncos-champ-bailey-kansas-city-bowe/17042/

baja
11-23-2012, 03:25 AM
Chiefs’ free-agent class has been major letdown
BY ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

When Romeo Crennel really wants to torture himself, he will let his mind wander back to the September afternoon in Buffalo when tight end Kevin Boss was hit in the head after making a catch. Boss suffered a concussion, ending his season, and the Chiefs have suffered when trying to pass the ball ever since.

“Sometimes I go down through the stats, and his pass-receiving average is up there and he really didn’t catch that many balls,’’ Crennel said. “When you’ve got a big target like that who can get down the field and make some plays, I think he would have definitely helped our offense.

“We hoped when we added him to the team that he would have been a big plus for us. I think he would have been had he been able to stay healthy.’’

Perhaps losing Boss was bad luck or perhaps, given his history of concussions, the Chiefs should have anticipated problems for him. Either way, Boss isn’t the only member of this year’s free-agent class to come up empty for the Chiefs.

Cornerback Stanford Routt played in just seven games before being released after missing curfew before this month’s game in San Diego. Peyton Hillis was supposed to be a key part of a backfield combination with Jamaal Charles, but an ankle injury and ineffectiveness have limited his playing time.

Quarterback Brady Quinn will return to the starting lineup in time for Sunday’s game against Denver at Arrowhead Stadium but can only hope he will play better than he did in his first two games this season.

Only right tackle Eric Winston has been a productive player, but he hasn’t been a difference-maker, not with the Chiefs at 1-9 and last in the league in scoring.

What’s worse, Winston may be the only one of the group with the Chiefs next season. Routt is already gone, Hillis and Quinn are on one-year contracts and it’s not wise to assume Boss, given his concussion history, will play again.

The Chiefs made lesser finds in free agency like Ropati Pitoitua, now starting on the defensive line in the absence of the injured Glenn Dorsey, and Edgar Jones, one of their better special teams players.

But the others were the acquisitions the Chiefs were counting on.

“Free agency can be a finicky thing,’’ Winston said. “It can be very hard to assimilate.’’

Routt is perhaps the most dramatic case. The Chiefs knew when they signed him they would have to change some of the habits Routt got into from his years with the Raiders. It obviously wasn’t happening as quickly as the Chiefs had hoped.

PS Read the comments.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/21/3929154/chiefs-free-agent-class-has-been.html#storylink=cpy

baja
11-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Five teams in the league have lost at least nine fumbles this season, including both the Broncos and the Chiefs.

For the 7-3 Broncos, the group is certainly not the company they want to keep:

Team Lost fumbles W-L

Kansas City 16 1-9

Broncos 13 7-3

Philadelphia 12 3-7

Buffalo 10 4-6

Tennessee 9 4-6

*note the records

baja
11-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Chiefs report card
BY ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Adam Teicher grades the Chiefs’ loss to the Bengals:

Chiefs rushing offense (B+): Jamaal Charles managed five yards per carry behind a patchwork offensive line.

Chiefs passing offense (D): Completed throws for more than just a few yards continue to be unusual.

Chiefs rushing defense (D-): The Chiefs made stars of two unlikely players, Cedric Peerman and Benjarvus Green-Ellis.

Chiefs passing defense (F): The Chiefs had no solution for either A.J. Green or Jermaine Gresham.

Chiefs special teams (F): At times, the Chiefs look like they never spend a minute working on this stuff.

Chiefs coaching (F): Back to the norm for the Chiefs, who can’t get it consistently right in any phase of the game.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/18/3923970/chiefs-report-card.html#storylink=cpy

baja
11-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Broncos' Prater denied shot at historic kick
By ARNIE STAPLETON (AP Pro Football Writer) | The Associated Press – 11 hours ago
Email

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- If only Lance Ball could have found the umpire faster, Matt Prater might just have written his name in the record books.
The Denver Broncos had crossed midfield and Prater was all set to try a 67-yard field goal right before halftime in their 30-23 win over San Diego, but the clock ran out before the umpire could spot the ball for Peyton Manning to spike.
Oh well, maybe next time.
''We've got to do a better job as coaches practicing that under pressure,'' coach John Fox said.
After all, the men who share the NFL record for longest field goal at 63 yards - David Akers, Jason Elam, Tom Dempsey and Sebastian Janikowski - all say the strong-legged Prater has the best chance to break the mark, especially in Denver's thin air.
''He's a weapon,'' Fox said. ''I mean, he's a weapon on kickoffs. He's a weapon as far as field goal range. Shoot, we were trying to set him up before half and we made a boo-boo not getting the ball spiked because we didn't get it to the officials fast enough. If we'd have gotten to the 50, we'd have tried it, especially at our place.''

They reached the Chargers 49 when Ball caught an 11-yard pass from Manning. But the Broncos had no timeouts remaining and the first half ended, denying Prater a shot at history.
Earlier in the game, Prater had a rare long-range misfire, staring in disbelief along with his teammates when his attempt from 55 yards out clanked off the left upright near the yellow flag that flies atop the 30-foot-high goal posts.
It was just his fifth miss in 20 career attempts from 50 yards or more, and that dropped him behind Chicago's Robbie Gould (76.5 percent) as the most accurate long-range field goal kicker in NFL history.
Prater is an anomaly among NFL players who make a living with their legs: the farther from the goal posts, the better he gets.
He makes 93 percent of his attempts from 39 yards and in but just 61 percent from 40-49 yards (22 of 36), then 75 percent from 50-plus.
Would the Broncos ever consider taking a delay of game penalty if he's lining up for, say, a 46-yarder, so that they move back into his comfort zone?
''No,'' Fox said emphatically. ''I mean, I'm still of the belief that closer's better. We're not going out of our way to back him up, for sure.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-prater-denied-shot-historic-143530708--ncaaf.html

baja
11-23-2012, 04:55 AM
Ravens-Chargers game blacked out in SoCal
The Associated Press – 13 hours ago
Email

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The San Diego Chargers say Sunday's home game against the Baltimore Ravens will be blacked out in Southern California because more than 9,000 general admission tickets remained unsold 72 hours before kickoff.
It will be the second blackout this season for the Chargers (4-6), who are desperately trying to remain alive in the wild-card race. Their home game against Atlanta on Sept. 23 was blacked out.
The blackout for their game against Kansas City on Nov. 1 was lifted only after several corporate sponsors guaranteed the sale of an estimated 10,000 tickets.
San Diego is three games behind Denver in the AFC West race, a deficit that's more like four games since the Broncos swept the season series.
Of the three remaining home games after Sunday, only the season-finale against the Oakland Raiders has a realistic chance of selling out.

baja
11-23-2012, 10:16 AM
TIGHT ENDS EARNING TRUST
In the fourth quarter of Sunday's win against San Diego, the Broncos faced a third-and-18 near midfield. Quarterback Peyton Manning dropped back and threw a pass deep over the middle to tight end Jacob Tamme.
Tamme elevated and made the grab as he was sandwiched by a pair of Chargers defenders before he reached the ground. The tight end held on to the ball through the hit for a 30-yard completion and a first down, leading to a crucial field goal late in the game.
It was one example of the pivotal role Tamme and fellow tight end Joel Dreessen have played in the offense.
"Those guys are a big part of the offense," Manning said. "In certain progressions, those guys are the first read. The seam route that Tamme caught the other day on that third-and-long, he's the first read. A lot of times in the flat route, those guys are the first read and so there are a lot of the same plays that can be called to (wideout Brandon) Stokley in the slot or to them. It's a credit to them because they can run some of those same type of option routes with good speed and good hands."
Of the nine catches Tamme has made on third down, seven have moved the chains - tied for the best third-down conversion percentage of any player on the team.
As for Dreessen, he has been targeted five times in the red zone. Four of them have been caught, and three for touchdowns.
The duo has been so reliable, Manning and Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy have looked to find ways to take advantage of favorable matchups with the tight ends.
"You've seen us split Tamme out wide a couple of times," Manning said. "A team will put a safety out there one-on-one. Those are things Mike tries to do to move those guys around. He does a good job of that. Those guys have made a lot of plays for us this year."
Manning added that he uses the pair of tight ends just like slot receivers from a three-point stance, because they can run the same routes with good speed and greater size. On the year, the pair has combined for 562 receiving yards and five touchdowns on 61 catches, which ramks sixth among tight end duos in the league this season.
BALL'S BIG BLOCK

More here;

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Thanksgiving-in-Denver/60157336-7cc2-490d-b45a-c78650ff57b1

Shananahan
11-23-2012, 10:58 AM
I've been seeing this around, though I haven't seen an 'official' article reporting it anywhere:

According to Mike Klis of ESPN 102.3, the Broncos worked out Hester on Wednesday and are likely to sign him either this week or the week following.

Hester excites me much more than Slaton, to be honest.

lolcopter
11-23-2012, 11:00 AM
They're both pretty boring tbh

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Slow white fullbacks don't excite me. We went that route once already. I'd rather have neither but slaton at least had a 1,200 yard season.

Shananahan
11-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Perhaps 'excites' was too strong a word, but I was only using it comparatively.

Tim
11-23-2012, 12:05 PM
It would have been awesome to see prater drill that 67 yarder, fn lance ball.

DBroncos4life
11-23-2012, 12:09 PM
I've been seeing this around, though I haven't seen an 'official' article reporting it anywhere:

Hester excites me much more than Slaton, to be honest.

Who wouldn't want a guy with a season high of 90 yards over a guy with one of over 1000.

Kaylore
11-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Porter traveled with the team.

DBroncos4life
11-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Porter traveled with the team.

Good, we will need him against the Quinninator.

DENVERDUI55
11-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Five teams in the league have lost at least nine fumbles this season, including both the Broncos and the Chiefs.

For the 7-3 Broncos, the group is certainly not the company they want to keep:

Team Lost fumbles W-L

Kansas City 16 1-9

Broncos 13 7-3

Philadelphia 12 3-7

Buffalo 10 4-6

Tennessee 9 4-6

*note the records

Manning effect.

Broncobiv
11-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Dang baja, you just totally ****ed Bronco Rob's potential post count bump...

broncocalijohn
11-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Bronco Rob does not approve of this type of thread.

baja
11-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Broncos rookie RB Ronnie Hillman "very excited" about additional snaps
POSTED: 11/23/2012 12:31:32 PM MST
UPDATED: 11/23/2012 02:23:39 PM MSTBy Tom Kensler
The Denver Post

Broncos rookie running back Ronnie Hillman (Denver Post file)
Speaking to reporters following Friday's practice, Broncos rookie running back Ronnie Hillman acknowledged that practices "were different" this week.

Hillman is expected to get more carries Sunday in Kansas City as a replacement for injured starter Willis McGahee. But Hillman, a former San Diego State standout, said he doesn't feel nervous.

"I'm very excited," he said. "It's just another opportunity to play ball and I'm looking forward to going out there to play."

Of Kansas City's defense, Hillman said: "They're good. They've got good players at every aspect of their defense. We're going to have to go out there and play tough. Teams always play division games tougher than other games."

McGahee (MCL sprain and

Read more: Broncos rookie RB Ronnie Hillman "very excited" about additional snaps - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22054048/broncos-show-energy-during-friday-practice-before-departing?source=jBar#ixzz2D9cmT3o6
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

baja
11-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Thankful for my Teammates - Von Miller

I just want to start out by thanking some of my teammates who helped me get the Defensive Player of the Week award last week.

It starts in the meeting rooms. We have Keith Brooking, a veteran guy — he doesn’t let me gloat or think about the achievements I’ve got. I really appreciate having Keith in the locker room. He is a guy that really keeps me humble. He told us earlier, he’s been playing 15 years. If you add up the years of the rest of the group, we haven’t really had close to the type of experience he’s had. So, I think it all starts with Keith and he’s been playing great for us.

Then on the back end, there is Chris Harris, Champ Bailey, Rahim Moore, Tony Carter and Mike Adams — without their lockdown coverage, I don’t think I’d be able to be the type of pass rusher I am.

Aldon Smith texted me right after the 49ers game about taking away my sack lead. He and J.J. Watt have a little lead on me now, but all three of us were drafted in the first round last year and we have a pretty cool relationship. I think our success will be determined based on whoever is in New Orleans at the end of the year though. That’s what we’re trying to do. Our focus is on a tough Kansas City team this week and that’s all I’ve been thinking about. I congratulated Aldon after his game, and hopefully he’ll be congratulating me after this game.

I remember playing at Arrowhead Stadium last year and at the end of the National Anthem the fans yell, “And the home of the Chiefs.” That really stood out to me. Derrick Thomas played there and I really love Derrick Thomas. To go back to a place where he dominated for so many years is really special to me. It’s humbling to be mentioned with Derrick Thomas. I loved watching him play.

We’re just taking it one day at a time though to reach our goals as a team.

Gig em!

Tags: Von Miller, Week 11

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/players/thankful-for-my-teammates/

lolcopter
11-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Link for that Von story por favor?

baja
11-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Link for that Von story por favor?

Sorry

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/players/thankful-for-my-teammates/

baja
11-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Without Willis McGahee, Broncos have a running riddle to answer

Read more: Without Willis McGahee, Broncos have a running riddle to answer - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncosspecial/ci_22050847?source=jBar#ixzz2DA6TlSrJ
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Nobody is saying bring back the option. Nobody is saying turn the Broncos' offense into something it's not.
And nobody is saying turn back the clock or that the Broncos shouldn't pass more than they run or that it's not a passing league.
But what needs to be said is the Broncos have to run the ball better in whatever becomes of this season and they'll have to try to do that without their best running back. Now, there's a brain teaser for them.
The issue is not putting the garland around the rushing statistics to make them more appealing to see. To that end the Broncos are a rather ho-hum 19th in the league in rushing, at 105.3 yards per game. And they've had a rather tepid commitment to it at times, sitting 16th in rushing attempts per game (26.9).
The Broncos don't need to suddenly pound it all the time. They can win plenty of games and influence people with Peyton Manning winging it around out of a three-wide receiver look.
But to protect Manning, which then protects their season, the run game holds the key.
And it will be a significant challenge for the Broncos to do that without McGahee in the current structure of their scheme. So, a staff that's proven adept at tinkering has some work to do.
McGahee, at 235 pounds, was the Broncos' big-back option in an offense that does its best work running right over the center. The Broncos have had 34.9 percent of their carries over center this season, almost three times as many as any other spot across the offensive front.
The Broncos have also averaged 4.5 yards per carry in those runs, far better than their 3.9 yards per carry overall. McGahee was clearly the Broncos' best option on those inside runs.
Ronnie Hillman, Lance Ball and Knowshon Moreno have not shown they can consistently make those runs work, especially if the Broncos continue the offensive approach they used with McGahee in the lineup. And that was to run out of a three-wide receiver set.
As a result, the Broncos may have to make some concessions to McGahee's torn knee ligament. They may like to work out of the three-wide look, but they may now have to work more out of two tight-end looks or two-back looks in run-down situations.
Manning needs an effective run game to keep the pass rushers out of the middle of the field and to keep play-action as an offensive option. No quarterback in the league is better at play-action and it's always been a big part of whatever offensive playbook he's used through the years.

Read more: Without Willis McGahee, Broncos have a running riddle to answer - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncosspecial/ci_22050847?source=jBar#ixzz2DA6GyT94

Bacchus
11-25-2012, 02:04 AM
I have something I thought was very interesting. It has nothing to do with Denver.

The last team to lead the NFL in rushing and win the SB was 1985 Chicago Bears. Before that it was the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_22060449/mike-klis-broncos-knowshon-moreno-just-needs-be

That to me is very very surprising. All those SB teams and all those years,

O.J. Simpson in the early 1970s, Earl Campbell in the late 1970s, Eric Dickerson in the 1980s and Barry Sanders in the 1990s were the best running backs of their respective time periods.

Read more: Klis: Broncos' Knowshon Moreno just needs to be solid at RB - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_22060449/mike-klis-broncos-knowshon-moreno-just-needs-be#ixzz2DDvz1ARz) http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_22060449/mike-klis-broncos-knowshon-moreno-just-needs-be#ixzz2DDvz1ARz

baja
11-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Broncos' Robert Ayers excused from practice; Jacob Hester suits up
POSTED: 11/28/2012 11:48:41 AM MST
UPDATED: 11/28/2012 03:07:35 PM MSTBy Mike Klis
The Denver Post
PHOTOS: NFL

View slide show of Denver Broncos at practice Wednesday.
All except defensive end Robert Ayers were present at the Broncos practice Wednesday.

Ayers was excused as he returned east for the memorial services of his father who passed away unexpectedly Saturday night.

Meanwhile, it was the first full practice of the season for running back/fullback Jacob Hester. He was signed to a two-year contract on Monday — $205,882 for the final five weeks of this season and a $715,000 minimum salary in 2013. Hester also would get a $100,000 roster bonus if he makes the team next season.

Hester is primarily a fullback as is Chris Gronkowski. That's two players at a position that rarely finds the field in the Broncos' Peyton Manning-led offense. Hester and Gronkowski are both solid special teams players.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055, mklis@denverpost.com or twitter.com/mikeklis

Read more: Broncos' Robert Ayers excused from practice; Jacob Hester suits up - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22082164/broncos-ayers-excused-from-practice-hester-suits-up?source=jBar#ixzz2Dctf1cjP

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-29-2012, 09:11 AM
So why carry 2 fullbacks that never see the field? Are they that desperate on special teams?

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm thinking Hester is on the team for three reasons: FB (blocking/protection for Manning), RB depth (McGahee injury and blocking/protecton for Manning) and Special Teams.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-29-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm thinking Hester is on the team for three reasons: FB (blocking/protection for Manning), RB depth (McGahee injury and blocking/protecton for Manning) and Special Teams.

Isn't all that Duties that Gronkowski should fill? I get the depth part but just don't understand why Gronkowski is even on the team

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Isn't all that Duties that Gronkowski should fill? I get the depth part but just don't understand why Gronkowski is even on the team

I never understood the Gronkowski signing from the beginning. Who knows, perhaps if Hester does well the Broncos release Gronkowski? Or maybe the Broncos feel there's some issues with the special teams and they just want to put the best guys out there?

It's wierd the Broncos have two FBs but I trust the Broncos know what they are doing.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-29-2012, 09:47 AM
I never understood the Gronkowski signing from the beginning. Who knows, perhaps if Hester does well the Broncos release Gronkowski? Or maybe the Broncos feel there's some issues with the special teams and they just want to put the best guys out there?

It's wierd the Broncos have two FBs but I trust the Broncos know what they are doing.

Ya I gotta think Hester will get some more carries and looks out of the backfield than the usual FB. I'm hoping he makes an impact on those short yardage 3rd downs

baja
11-29-2012, 09:58 AM
I think Gronkowski was signed as a known protector of Manning. Now that it has been proven he is not needed to keep Manning upright and with the signing of Hester, basically a clone of Gronkowski that changes things. Factor in Hester is a short yardage solution that makes Gronkowski expendable. If a player comes available to help the team in it's SB run he will be given his spot.

I hope it's Rolando McClain

baja
12-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Footnotes. Lynch will be on the broadcast team for Sunday's game for Fox. He did a sit-down interview with Manning this week. ... In their combined 14 wins this season, the Broncos and Buccaneers have just three combined wins over teams with winning records. The Buccaneers defeated Minnesota (6-5), while the Broncos have defeated Pittsburgh (6-5) and Cincinnati (6-5).

Read more: Peyton Manning meets the other Peyton Manning at Dove Valley - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22103929/peyton-manning-meets-other-peyton-manning-at-dove#ixzz2DqmyVl5V

XXXII&III
12-01-2012, 06:20 PM
If the field tomorrow looks a little "used", it's because high school state championship games were played on it today. Valor Christian won its 4th title since the school came into existence in 2007. Score was 6-0. No points until late in the 4th quarter. Point after was missed.

So what does that have to do with the Broncos, you may ask? Well for one thing, Elway, Ellis & Bowlen were lounging on the field next to the tunnel all game, in their jeans and leather jackets and Broncos sweatshirts.

And for another, Baby Mac, aka Christian McAffrey, and Luke Del Rio, Jack's kid, were stars for Valor today. And then there's Brian Dawkins, who's a coach for Valor.

McAffrey is listed as a running back but he was all over the field - returning punts, running around on defense, catching passes. I don't think there were but a couple plays where he wasn't doing something out there. He scored the winning TD. He's a little star. He's a junior and the announcers were saying there are several major college programs after him already. He's also cuter than his dad.

I don't know much about Del Rio, other than he came into the school as a senior and won the starting QB position. But wow when he was interviewed afterwards, all I could think of was he sounds exactly like Andrew Luck, and he says the sorts of things Andrew Luck would say. Appears to be a really bright, humble, cool kid. Like a blonde Andrew Luck.

Del Rio was the only high-profile dad I saw out on the field afterwards.... didn't see Eddy Mac at all, although you know he was there and was just as proud as Del Rio.

It was fun to see..... like an incubation field for baby broncos lol.

Broncos4Life
12-01-2012, 07:11 PM
If the field tomorrow looks a little "used", it's because high school state championship games were played on it today. Valor Christian won its 4th title since the school came into existence in 2007. Score was 6-0. No points until late in the 4th quarter. Point after was missed.

So what does that have to do with the Broncos, you may ask? Well for one thing, Elway, Ellis & Bowlen were lounging on the field next to the tunnel all game, in their jeans and leather jackets and Broncos sweatshirts.

And for another, Baby Mac, aka Christian McAffrey, and Luke Del Rio, Jack's kid, were stars for Valor today. And then there's Brian Dawkins, who's a coach for Valor.

McAffrey is listed as a running back but he was all over the field - returning punts, running around on defense, catching passes. I don't think there were but a couple plays where he wasn't doing something out there. He scored the winning TD. He's a little star. He's a junior and the announcers were saying there are several major college programs after him already. He's also cuter than his dad.

I don't know much about Del Rio, other than he came into the school as a senior and won the starting QB position. But wow when he was interviewed afterwards, all I could think of was he sounds exactly like Andrew Luck, and he says the sorts of things Andrew Luck would say. Appears to be a really bright, humble, cool kid. Like a blonde Andrew Luck.

Del Rio was the only high-profile dad I saw out on the field afterwards.... didn't see Eddy Mac at all, although you know he was there and was just as proud as Del Rio.

It was fun to see..... like an incubation field for baby broncos lol.

LOL WUT?

BroncoMan4ever
12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I have something I thought was very interesting. It has nothing to do with Denver.

The last team to lead the NFL in rushing and win the SB was 1985 Chicago Bears. Before that it was the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_22060449/mike-klis-broncos-knowshon-moreno-just-needs-be

That to me is very very surprising. All those SB teams and all those years,

O.J. Simpson in the early 1970s, Earl Campbell in the late 1970s, Eric Dickerson in the 1980s and Barry Sanders in the 1990s were the best running backs of their respective time periods.

Read more: Klis: Broncos' Knowshon Moreno just needs to be solid at RB - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_22060449/mike-klis-broncos-knowshon-moreno-just-needs-be#ixzz2DDvz1ARz) http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_22060449/mike-klis-broncos-knowshon-moreno-just-needs-be#ixzz2DDvz1ARz

Didn't Denver lead the league in rushing when TD.ran for 2008 yards in our super bowl winning season in 98?

Gutless Drunk
12-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Didn't Denver lead the league in rushing when TD.ran for 2008 yards in our super bowl winning season in 98?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1998/

baja
12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Does it seem to you like John Fox, Jack Del Rio, Mike McCoy and Peyton Manning are playing with opponents the same way that a cat plays with a captured mouse? Almost as though this is all a test for when they get to the AFC championship game and the Big Show?
---Alan Bates, Denver

Something like that. I've seen championships teams do this before -- the Yankees in the late-1990s, Joakim Noah's Florida Gators while repeating as NCAA hoops champions in 2007. They went through stretches where they didn't dominate teams as they were expected but they did just enough to win. And then in the tournament, they rolled.

I think you can make a case the Broncos have the league's best offensive player in Peyton Manning, best defensive player in Von Miller, best punter in Britton Colquitt and best returner in Trindon Holliday.

Why wouldn't a team with all that have a chance to win it all? About the only area where the Broncos are short is in their running game. Willis McGahee was OK, and Knowshon Moreno has filled in admirably but not well enough for opposing defenses to worry. The Broncos' offense pretty much plays all game, every game against the nickel.

Considering opposing defenses are basically allowing the Broncos to run the ball, they're not running well enough.

Then again, the Packers ranked 24th in rushing when they won the Super Bowl in the 2010 season, and the New York Giants were 32nd last year when they won it all.

Every team has flaws, Alan. Maybe, the Broncos picked the right area to be mediocre at best.

Read more here;

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_22124426/broncos-mailbag-peyton-manning-john-fox-is-it