PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith Benched

Tombstone RJ
11-21-2012, 09:04 PM
I didn't see a thread about this topic, if one exists, please merge. Anyhow, I guess Alex Smith is healthy but he's being benched for Colin Kaepernick. This is a ballsy move by Harbaugh IMHO.

baja
11-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Man talk about your fixin what isn't broken.

Archer81
11-21-2012, 09:14 PM
I think that will be a mistake.

:Broncos:

Tombstone RJ
11-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Harbaugh did draft Kaepernick so I guess he was looking for an excuse to start him and the game against the bears is a good enough excuse. Harbaugh probably thinks the Niners offense has a lot more potential with Kaepernick. Still, it's pretty unheard of to bench your starter when the team is winning.

Armchair Bronco
11-21-2012, 09:18 PM
I love all the clowns on ESPN this morning who were saying: "well, you don't ever let your starting QB lose his job due to a short term injury..."

Tell that to Drew Bledsoe. Now tell that to Alex Smith.

Tombstone RJ
11-21-2012, 09:22 PM
what little shred of confidence Alex Smith had, is now officially destroyed.

razorwire77
11-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Not surprised Alex Smith is basically Brian Griese 2.0.
That 49ers team has scary, scary talent. . .Short term, they're probably going to take some lumps with Colin Kaepernick, but if he turns out to consistently be even 80 percent of what he was on Monday night. . .That's going to be as close to an unstoppable team as you get in the salary cap era NFL.

ScottXray
11-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Kaepernick had a hell of a game....and Harbaugh is drooling over that type
of performance.

On the other hand Harbaugh is just being an ass like he always is...it's his
M. O.

Frankly, I hope this bites him in the ass, and things go south from this point. It would serve him right....And then Smith turns back into The OLD Smith.

It would be funny if Seattle takes that division because of this.

baja
11-21-2012, 09:26 PM
what little shred of confidence Alex Smith had, is now officially destroyed.
....and this move will be filed in the memory banks of every player on that team and around the league.

BIG MISTAKE IMO.

Tombstone RJ
11-21-2012, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing this move totally backfire on Harbaugh.

extralife
11-21-2012, 09:30 PM
....and this move will be filed in the memory banks of every player on that team and around the league.

BIG MISTAKE IMO.

except the team seemed to really be behind kaepernick. they saw the writing on the wall, they know alex simply can't do what kaepernick did against chicago.

still a risky as hell move though, not sure if I ultimately agree or not. there's no chance he loses the team, but if they lose two in a row or something you'll have ended up rocking a pretty damn steady boat.

but harbaugh knows what he's doing. he saw Alex Smith **** the bed against the Giants last year. it's super bowl or bust.

Armchair Bronco
11-21-2012, 09:30 PM
This is a smart move IMO. It's what the Pats did when they promoted Brady.

And why is it that the Niners always seem to have TWO capable QB's ?

I think their lead is too big for Seattle to catch them, but I wouldn't mind an epic meltdown, either. I just don't see that happening with their defense.

baja
11-21-2012, 09:33 PM
of performance.

M. O.

Frankly, I hope this bites him in the ass, and things go south from this point. It would serve him right....And then Smith turns back into The OLD Smith.

My sentiments exactly.

Harbaugh inherited a team stocked with talent acquired by ten years of drafting in the top ten and struts around like he's the saviour of the team.

He just divided his locker room, but incredible pressure on his young QB and destroyed the confidence of his qb that got him where he is now all in the mist of a SB run. Egotistical Fool.

Tombstone RJ
11-21-2012, 09:37 PM
And, AZ is starting Lindley too. That' is kind of strange too. I wonder what AZ will do when Kolb is healthy enough to play. If the team is winning I'm thinking Kolb sits on the bench too.

Lestat
11-21-2012, 09:45 PM
my guess is Smith will get his job back in the next two weeks or so.
the league will eventually figure Colin out and then he'll struggle and get benched for Smith.

spdirty
11-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I just hope Kaepernick plays like a STUD when they go to Foxboro.

ZONA
11-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Harbaugh only said Kaepernick will get the starting reps in practice this week. He did not say he was starting the game. It's not OFFICIAL yet that Colin will start the game this Sunday. Probably, but not official yet.

Play2win
11-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Harbaugh only said Kaepernick will get the starting reps in practice this week. He did not say he was starting the game. It's not OFFICIAL yet that Kyle will start the game this Sunday. Probably, but not official yet.

Who's Kyle?

ZONA
11-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Who's Kyle?

oops, fixed

BroncoMan4ever
11-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Harbaugh did draft Kaepernick so I guess he was looking for an excuse to start him and the game against the bears is a good enough excuse. Harbaugh probably thinks the Niners offense has a lot more potential with Kaepernick. Still, it's pretty unheard of to bench your starter when the team is winning.
See Shanahan in 2006.

Armchair Bronco
11-21-2012, 11:43 PM
See Shanahan in 2006.

Helll, Shannyham, did this in 1999 when he benched Bubby Brister for Brian "Teacher's Pet" Griese.

All Bubby had done was start and win 4 games the previous season.

That's when I knew Shannyham had lost it and needed to go. Most of the clowns on the DPO site attacked me and Buster T Bronco relentlessly, but we were right.

The difference is that Collin is better then Alex, but Brian was NOT better than Bubby.

Archer81
11-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Helll, Shannyham, did this in 1999 when he benched Bubby Brister for Brian "Teacher's Pet" Griese.

That's when I knew Shannyham had lost it and needed to go. Most of the clowns on the DPO site attacked me and Buster T Bronco relentlessly, but we were right.

The difference is that Collin is better then Alex, but Brian was NOT better than Bubby.

You knew Shanahan had to go the preseason following a successful title run?

spdirty
11-22-2012, 12:03 AM

You do also realize that since Bubby figured he had the starter position locked up he had done next to nothing in offseason preparation for the '99 season and it showed in training camp and preseason, when he couldn't move the offense to save his life, whereas Griese was much more effective right?

Whether it was right or wrong, given the evidence at the time Griese seemed like the right move. But when push comes to shove, arguing between who the better quarterback is between those 2 is like arguing Orton vs. Quinn. Both should have had roles as capable backups who should never start.

Now if you want to argue the signing of Dale Carter was ridiculous a few months after stating to the team that a player like Dale Carter would never be a Bronco, thats a better point.

OBF1
11-22-2012, 12:38 AM
of performance.

M. O.

I guess you did not watch the game the other night. CK just had the "It" factor. He ran the offense like he owned it. The players bought into it and so has the head coach... If that makes him and ass, more power to him. Its about winning kids and sometimes you have to play the hot hand. CK adds another element to the game with his far superior running game.

I am shocked so many of you think Alex Smith is the answer.

extralife
11-22-2012, 12:45 AM
You knew Shanahan had to go the preseason following a successful title run?

this is generally how morons operate, don't worry.

HorseHead
11-22-2012, 04:30 AM
I know who is psyched about the change at QB for the 9'ers, Vernon Davis..

4 catches in three games prior, had 6 or so Monday night..

cutthemdown
11-22-2012, 04:43 AM
I know who is psyched about the change at QB for the 9'ers, Vernon Davis..

4 catches in three games prior, had 6 or so Monday night..

Whats funny about that is my TE in fantasy is Vernon Davis. I played him through all those crappy games, then finally benched him last week lol.

Good thing is that my bkup is Meyers in Oakland and he had a nice game.

I guess back to Vernon because he is a true stud. I sure hope the QB change and his game last week are a sign of things to come.

cutthemdown
11-22-2012, 04:44 AM
You do also realize that since Bubby figured he had the starter position locked up he had done next to nothing in offseason preparation for the '99 season and it showed in training camp and preseason, when he couldn't move the offense to save his life, whereas Griese was much more effective right?

Whether it was right or wrong, given the evidence at the time Griese seemed like the right move. But when push comes to shove, arguing between who the better quarterback is between those 2 is like arguing Orton vs. Quinn. Both should have had roles as capable backups who should never start.

Now if you want to argue the signing of Dale Carter was ridiculous a few months after stating to the team that a player like Dale Carter would never be a Bronco, thats a better point.

I disagree about Griese. He just never recovered from that nasty shoulder injury. After that he was a true dink and dunker. He never had much arm strength and lost what he did have.

he was so much more accurate then Brister on his best day.

fwf
11-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Every one said in week 2-3 that the NFC was the superior league by far and now look. None of those teams scare me if/when we make it NO. GB is probably the toughest, but Peyton would carve up that D in the dome. Eli is struggling. No 1st yr starter is taking their team to the bowl and has anyone's seem atl play lately?
N.E , Houston and Baltimore on the other hand are really good football teams. And we're probably gonna have to beat two of them

fwf
11-22-2012, 05:11 AM
I disagree about Griese. He just never recovered from that nasty shoulder injury. After that he was a true dink and dunker. He never had much arm strength and lost what he did have.

he was so much more accurate then Brister on his best day.

Oh god. The greiseball in today's game would be a disaster. I've never seen a qb with less pocket presence. Lady liberty back there.

BroncoBeavis
11-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Every one said in week 2-3 that the NFC was the superior league by far and now look. None of those teams scare me if/when we make it NO. GB is probably the toughest, but Peyton would carve up that D in the dome. Eli is struggling. No 1st yr starter is taking their team to the bowl and has anyone's seem atl play lately?
N.E , Houston and Baltimore on the other hand are really good football teams. And we're probably gonna have to beat two of them

Eli struggles every year. Roll the dice to see if he makes the playoffs. But if he does watch out.

That One Guy
11-22-2012, 05:42 AM
I guess you did not watch the game the other night. CK just had the "It" factor. He ran the offense like he owned it. The players bought into it and so has the head coach... If that makes him and ass, more power to him. Its about winning kids and sometimes you have to play the hot hand. CK adds another element to the game with his far superior running game.

I am shocked so many of you think Alex Smith is the answer.

I was wondering why everyone was slobbering over this game. It seemed the stat line for the Bear game was pretty mediocre - especially in comparison to the 19/20 game that Smith recently put up. Guess ya had to be there to appreciate it.

v2micca
11-22-2012, 05:51 AM
I really don't get this move. I know CK had a nice game in relief, but Alex Smith was 3rd in the league in QB Rating and bye week and a concussion removed from his near Perfect Game against Arizona. Just seems like an odd time to make the switch as the incumbent was playing at a high level.

fwf
11-22-2012, 06:05 AM
I really don't get this move. I know CK had a nice game in relief, but Alex Smith was 3rd in the league in QB Rating and bye week and a concussion removed from his near Perfect Game against Arizona. Just seems like an odd time to make the switch as the incumbent was playing at a high level.

Yeah, Ive always wondered if Smith has some serious personality flaws or something. He wont be there next season for sure. May end up with the Chiefs

bowtown
11-22-2012, 06:06 AM
Yeah, Ive always wondered if Smith has some serious personality flaws or something. He wont be there next season for sure. May end up with the Chiefs

I actually think Harbaugh is the one with the serious personality flaws. I think this one us going to backfire on him.

v2micca
11-22-2012, 06:09 AM

I would hope that the Chiefs would be wise enough to avoid making that mistake again. Smith is similar to Cassel. Both need good coaching and direction to be successful. We have seen how they fair without it. Right now, KC doesn't have nearly the coaching staff and personnel to get the results out of Smith that San Fran is currently seeing.

fwf
11-22-2012, 06:22 AM
I would hope that the Chiefs would be wise enough to avoid making that mistake again. Smith is similar to Cassel. Both need good coaching and direction to be successful. We have seen how they fair without it. Right now, KC doesn't have nearly the coaching staff and personnel to get the results out of Smith that San Fran is currently seeing.

Smith has had more success then Cassel. They were a play away from going to the SB. Looking at his stats - he's a serviceable starter. 4 straight seasons with a passer rating over 80 and only 10 Ints since 2010.

He'll be a starter somewhere next season. There arent any blue chip QB's in the draft per Mel and I can count 7 teams possibly looking to add a QB. Philly, AZ, Jets, Clev.,Tenn., Jax, KC

Beantown Bronco
11-22-2012, 06:43 AM
I love all the clowns on ESPN this morning who were saying: "well, you don't ever let your starting QB lose his job due to a short term injury..."

Tell that to Drew Bledsoe. Now tell that to Alex Smith.

Bledsoe almost died on the field and wasn't healed enough to even take practice reps for months. I wouldn't exactly call that a "short term injury".

oubronco
11-22-2012, 06:43 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing this move totally backfire on Harbaugh.

Only after they beat the Ratbirds

Beantown Bronco
11-22-2012, 06:46 AM
This is a smart move IMO. It's what the Pats did when they promoted Brady.

I honestly don't see the comparison.

Brady wasn't promoted over Bledsoe until after he had started 6-8 games on his own and helped get the team on a roll. SF is benching Smith after one single outing by the backup.

Pony Boy
11-22-2012, 06:56 AM
I hope Smith goes to KC in the off season

baja
11-22-2012, 06:59 AM
I actually think Harbaugh is the one with the serious personality flaws. I think this one us going to backfire on him.

I can't believe Harbaugh would risk this. It's like changing Jockeys in the middle of a horse race because you think the new guy is a pound and a quarter lighter. It's not worth distracting the horse

Rocket 7
11-22-2012, 08:32 AM

I can't believe we signed that guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WyzRVQx57wY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

baja
11-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Marty should have sent him to the locker room immediately and told him to turn his play book over to the janitor and leave the building - How the heel does shanahan sign him after that? That signing was when I started to turn on Shanny

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Was Alex Smith even cleared to play yet?

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Smith has had more success then Cassel. They were a play away from going to the SB. Looking at his stats - he's a serviceable starter. 4 straight seasons with a passer rating over 80 and only 10 Ints since 2010.

He'll be a starter somewhere next season. There arent any blue chip QB's in the draft per Mel and I can count 7 teams possibly looking to add a QB. Philly, AZ, Jets, Clev.,Tenn., Jax, KC

Alex smith = Orton.

Check how many down field passes he completes. Not many. In fact there's games where he never even completed one pass more than 15 yards. He is a game manager who keeps the TOs down. His accuracy drops big time after 10 yards. I have to watch/listen about SF every week out here in Cali. Brad Johnson was the last manager to win it. That was a long time ago.

Dedhed
11-22-2012, 09:00 AM
I sent a text to my buddy before the game on Monday saying that Kaepernick was about to start a QB controversy in San Fran. Alex Smith is a QB with a limited ceiling who's playing on a great team.

I'm not saying it's the right call, but the writing was on the wall long before Colin got his chance as a starter and shredded one of the better defenses in the league. He makes that offense far more potent and if he manages mistakes well enough, I think the 49ers are a better team.

baja
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM
It's going to be interesting.

Of all the teams we could meet in the playoffs I fear the 49er's the most, we'll see if that sentiment continues.

baja
11-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Just a few months age Harbaugh was saying he never was interested in Manning because he had all the connivance in the world in Alax Smith.

I think Manning told him to go pound sand, not because he didn't like the star studded roster but because he didn't want to play for Harbaugh

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Anybody here thinks that the Chefs wil be stupid enough to trade for Alex Smith this off-season?

(please, please please trade your 2nd and 3rd for Alex Smith)

Dedhed
11-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Anybody here thinks that the Chefs wil be stupid enough to trade for Alex Smith this off-season?

They're going to take Barkley with the top pick.

Lestat
11-22-2012, 09:37 AM
They're going to take Barkley with the top pick.

and then have to draft another QB in five years.
he is just not franchise QB material to me.
he just doesn't make you feel that "wow" factor that comes with being the man.

i think he'll be like Alex Smith or Joe Flacco. except his team will be much worse.
pretty solid and can win some games but never gets to that upper tier of QB's that everyone fawns all over.

loborugger
11-22-2012, 09:43 AM

I was kinda hoping they would trade to the NYJs for Tebow. That way, KC could really become the place where all of our retread QBs go to die...

Back to the subject of the thread - doesn't anyone remember Matt Flynn tearing it up in one game, too? What ever became of that.

baja
11-22-2012, 09:46 AM
I was kinda hoping they would trade to the NYJs for Tebow. That way, KC could really become the place where all of our retread QBs go to die...

Back to the subject of the thread - doesn't anyone remember Matt Flynn tearing it up in one game, too? What ever became of that.

That is exactly why I think starting Quinn is not in our best interests, I think he has one of those type games in him, not that he will ever be able to do it week in and week out.

"On any given Sunday"

loborugger
11-22-2012, 09:51 AM
That is exactly why I think starting Quinn is not in our best interests, I think he has one of those type games in him, not that he will ever be able to do it week in and week out.

"On any given Sunday"

I see your point. However - Flynn did that with a disciplined well functioning GB team. KC is far from that.

Lestat
11-22-2012, 10:06 AM

"On any given Sunday"

i don't have any fear of this game. KC is too bad and there is just no way we could ever play as bad as we did last season against them and that's what it will take for them to win.

baja
11-22-2012, 10:12 AM
It's not that I 'fear" KC just would rather see Cassel. Partly for Von stats.

USMCBladerunner
11-22-2012, 03:22 PM
This is straight up crazy...not because CK won't end up better than Alex Smith...he might...odds are decent actually...but rather because of the amount of information Harbaugh is working with...Smith's ceiling may be limited, but he's still moving towards it...he's playing very very efficiently of late, was not responsible for the loss in last years playoffs, and has been more than acceptable this season as a whole...more importantly, CK looked like a normal rookie against the Rams, and looked good, really good, against the Bears, but it's not like he won that game by himself...the D was insane, Gore was great, ST nulled out Hester...I don't understand this decision at this time...but I do like CK and wish him the best...

DENVERDUI55
11-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Colin will come crashing down to rookie qb mode as soon as dc have film of his strengths and weaknesses. People always jump over a young qb after he plays well after first game. I bet this backfired on 49ers.

BroncoBuff
11-22-2012, 04:38 PM
This is straight up crazy...not because CK won't end up better than Alex Smith...he might...odds are decent actually...but rather because of the amount of information Harbaugh is working with...Smith's ceiling may be limited, but he's still moving towards it...he's playing very very efficiently of late, was not responsible for the loss in last years playoffs, and has been more than acceptable this season as a whole...more importantly, CK looked like a normal rookie against the Rams, and looked good, really good, against the Bears, but it's not like he won that game by himself...the D was insane, Gore was great, ST nulled out Hester...I don't understand this decision at this time...but I do like CK and wish him the best...

Agree with your points, but not your conclusion. Agree it's mostly question marks with Kaepernick, yeah he was good against Chicago, but most of us could've quarterbacked SF to that win. Smith is the known commodity, solid and reliable ... won't win or lose games by himself, but he's managed the team deep into the postseason.

But I like the move anyway. 49ers have a comfortable lead, so now that the kid has some confidence racked up, give him a start and see what that talent might do. Perfect week for it too, it's doubtful that scary Saints defense will come crashing down on him ... and Smith is right there if you need him. It's arguably a good idea for any team in such a position to give an inexperienced backup a start at this point ... I think Harbaugh should've dome that rather than name him "the starter."

Best comparison I can muster is late 70s Broncos - Norris Weese and Craig Morton. Morton was the guy, he took you to the Super Bowl ferhevvinsake. But he was aging and immobile, while Weese could move, he looked like he might be the QBOTF. Turned out he wasn't, in fact he was gone from the team before Morton was. But giving him a few starts didn't hurt anything.

extralife
11-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Agree it's mostly question marks with Kaepernick, yeah he was good against Chicago, but most of us could've quarterbacked SF to that win.

uhhh, that was the Bears defense on the field, in case you forgot. they're pretty good. and it wasn't just that Kaepernick was "good" against them, it's that he was flawless. seriously, watch the game. he was unreal. his teammates had that "oh ****, <i>this</i> is what it's like the play with a real QB" look on their face. after the game, Vernon Davis sounded like he was about to go make love to CK in the showers. this is a QB controversy solely because Kaepernick went out and made it one.

baja
11-22-2012, 04:54 PM
All Harbaugh had to do was say they didn't want to rush Smith back from the concussion and he would avoided all controversy.

BroncoBuff
11-22-2012, 05:20 PM
uhhh, that was the Bears defense on the field, in case you forgot. they're pretty good. and it wasn't just that Kaepernick was "good" against them, it's that he was flawless. seriously, watch the game. he was unreal. his teammates had that "oh ****, <i>this</i> is what it's like the play with a real QB" look on their face. after the game, Vernon Davis sounded like he was about to go make love to CK in the showers. this is a QB controversy solely because Kaepernick went out and made it one.

Well, we disagree then, I'll say we do, we disagree boy.

You're focusing on the wrong side of the ball. Bears racked up barely 100 yards of offense in that game. I'm confident 65 of the 70 or so quarterbacks in the NFL would have won that game for SF. Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow and Matt Cassell would all have won that game for SF.

So ... other than this one game 95% of guys would have won, what has Kaepernick done on Sunday that justifies dumping Mr. Smith? Not the Rams game, he was pretty iffy there actually.

extralife
11-22-2012, 05:24 PM
The QBs you mentioned may have "won the game" (doubtful), but they would have won it 10-6. What the Bears offense could or could not do has no bearing on how well Kaepernick played.

Agamemnon
11-23-2012, 01:00 PM
It's going to be interesting.

Of all the teams we could meet in the playoffs I fear the 49er's the most, we'll see if that sentiment continues.

They aren't going to make the Super Bowl with a rookie+, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Alex Smith might not be good enough either, but with a guy like Kaepernick it's almost guaranteed he tanks a playoff game.

Agamemnon
11-23-2012, 01:02 PM
So ... other than this one game 95% of guys would have won, what has Kaepernick done on Sunday that justifies dumping Mr. Smith? Not the Rams game, he was pretty iffy there actually.

This is what's crazy about this. Alex Smith has been consistent and efficient with his limited passing attempts and has had some games on par with what Kaepernick just did. People are crowning this kid after one good game. It's laughable.

broncocalijohn
11-23-2012, 02:04 PM

No way! I would rather have them use up a top pick on a guy that is the next Leaf.

Tombstone RJ
11-23-2012, 02:10 PM
I still feel bad for Alex Smith, dude has had how many OCs and HCs since he's been playing? He finally gets a great HC who happens to know offense inside and out, he performs well, maybe not pro-bowl or all-pro but the team is winning, and he gets benched for a second year, second round pick.

game over man, game over. :D

Cache Glades
11-23-2012, 06:57 PM
All Harbaugh had to do was say they didn't want to rush Smith back from the concussion and he would avoided all controversy.

Exactly!!! Great point.

Lestat
11-23-2012, 07:35 PM
CK is Harbaugh's guy, it's his Gambit. Smith was inherited and while he may like him he is also a QB at heart and likely wants improved play(down field and explosive wise).

that said, this all could be a ploy by Harbaugh to rattle smith and make sure he steps it up.

Agamemnon
11-23-2012, 07:38 PM

It would've also given them another week to assess if Kaepernick is really ready. One good game doesn't mean anything.