PDA

View Full Version : LOL Aaron Curry waived

baja
11-20-2012, 03:33 PM
The Oakland Raiders have parted ways with Aaron Curry just one season after shipping a pair of draft picks to the Seattle Seahawks for the outside linebacker.

The team confirmed that Curry was waived Tuesday not long after he fired off a string of tweets announcing his release.

The Biggest NFL Draft Busts in Y2K Era
Take a look at these top draft busts. Does Aaron Curry make this list?
"No longer a raider! On to my next venture! Expanding Gods territory," Curry wrote. "I am confident in my abilities to play linebacker, I know God will cook something up for me!!"

Yes Aaron a hot turkey sandwich for you.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098403/article/oakland-raiders-part-ways-with-aaron-curry

Bacchus
11-20-2012, 03:34 PM
bring him in

Drunk Monkey
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
I was wrong about him. I really wanted him in Denver. Now......

baja
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Only cost them a 7th and a 5th next year but that shiit adds up.

Do the have any picks next draft ?

Tim
11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm glad Von lived up to his hype unlike curry, he has to be one of the biggest defensive busts in recent draft history outside of whoever the cheifs perennial 3-4 de is

baja
11-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Only cost them a 7th and a 5th next year but that shiit adds up.

Do the have any picks next draft ?

Rohirrim
11-20-2012, 03:51 PM
but... but... but... he's a sure thing!

"You're going to hand him $30 million or $40 million guaranteed and he's going to be like Matt Ryan," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "He's going to put it in the bank and he's going to go to work."

He's a player who Mayock said "does everything well."

"You can put him in a 4-3 scheme, or you can play him in a 3-4 scheme," Mayock said. "You could insert him day one and he's a starter and your defense is better and you don't have to worry about him getting in trouble."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-02-23-aaron-curry_N.htm

Ouch.

BroncoMan4ever
11-20-2012, 03:53 PM
If we don't lose JDR this offseason I really wouldn't mind bringing him in for a look this offseason. Can't demand big money and if anyone can help him turn his career around it's JDR.

baja
11-20-2012, 04:03 PM
but... but... but... he's a sure thing!

"You're going to hand him $30 million or $40 million guaranteed and he's going to be like Matt Ryan," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "He's going to put it in the bank and he's going to go to work."

He's a player who Mayock said "does everything well."

"You can put him in a 4-3 scheme, or you can play him in a 3-4 scheme," Mayock said. "You could insert him day one and he's a starter and your defense is better and you don't have to worry about him getting in trouble."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-02-23-aaron-curry_N.htm

Ouch.

Talk about your swing and miss. Not the norm for Mike.

baja
11-20-2012, 04:07 PM
That regime (Raiders) hoped he'd be around for the long haul after swapping a 2012 seventh-round pick and a fifth-rounder in 2013 to the Seahawks, who'd seen enough of Curry after making him the fourth-overall pick in 2009 draft.

The draft is still a crap shoot even at the top.

Rohirrim
11-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Talk about your swing and miss. Not the norm for Mike.

You can't fix dumb.

baja
11-20-2012, 04:17 PM
If you are a linebacker without the green dot dumb is not a big problem.

See D J Williams

ZONA
11-20-2012, 04:17 PM
If we don't lose JDR this offseason I really wouldn't mind bringing him in for a look this offseason. Can't demand big money and if anyone can help him turn his career around it's JDR.

Why would you want him here? He's an OLB, we have 3 really good/great OLB'ers already (Miller, Woodyard, Williams). I'd rather pass and look at bringing in or drafting a MLB.

Lestat
11-20-2012, 04:35 PM
man alive i remember wanting him in that draft badly. he was supposed to be the surest bet in the draft.
wow has he sucked.

Rohirrim
11-20-2012, 04:38 PM
And to think that Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews went after Curry. Ouch.

Lestat
11-20-2012, 04:46 PM
And to think that Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews went after Curry. Ouch.

and Matthews was considered the biggest question mark of the three.
sometimes it really does come down to who wants it more.

ZONA
11-20-2012, 05:31 PM

Heck, many thought Mathews was considered the worst of the 3 USC backers, behind Brian Cushing and Ray Maluaga.

baja
11-20-2012, 05:32 PM
He has the blood line

BroncoMan4ever
11-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Why would you want him here? He's an OLB, we have 3 really good/great OLB'ers already (Miller, Woodyard, Williams). I'd rather pass and look at bringing in or drafting a MLB.

I'm not saying bring him in and do nothing else at the LB spot. BTW, Williams is a slightly above average OLB and it will be a miracle if he is back next season. So probably we have Von and Woodyard. Behind them the depth is spotty. Who knows with Trevathan and Irving...both of which seemingly play the WILL anyway. Behind Von there is basically nobody. Like it or not depth is needed and a LB guru like JDR might help Curry turn the corner. He is not going to demand much money so the risk is low.

baja
11-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm not saying bring him in and do nothing else at the LB spot. BTW, Williams is a slightly above average OLB and it will be a miracle if he is back next season. So probably we have Von and Woodyard. Behind them the depth is spotty. Who knows with Trevathan and Irving...both of which seemingly play the WILL anyway. Behind Von there is basically nobody. Like it or not depth is needed and a LB guru like JDR might help Curry turn the corner. He is not going to demand much money so the risk is low.

If we were to bring him for next season's training camp that seems worth it.

TheChamp24
11-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Everybody in their mother was calling Curry the safest pick in the 2009 draft and a sure fire Pro Bowl LB.
He got traded to the Raiders for peanuts basically and waived the very next season. Wow.

Side note, will the Raiders continue the Carson Palmer experience or cut him too?

Tombstone RJ
11-20-2012, 06:26 PM
yep, even a blue chip, sure fire LBer drafted in the top 5 can be a bust. And LBer is probably one of the easier positions to scout and have confidence about. I wonder what Curry's problem is--motivation? Is he like Alphonso Smith and just expects the job to be handed to him?

Rohirrim
11-20-2012, 06:29 PM
yep, even a blue chip, sure fire LBer drafted in the top 5 can be a bust. And LBer is probably one of the easier positions to scout and have confidence about. I wonder what Curry's problem is--motivation? Is he like Alphonso Smith and just expects the job to be handed to him?

The opinion on the Seahawks boards is that he is dumb as a brick.

On the Raider boards, they couldn't tell.

rimshot :~ohyah!:

DBroncos4life
11-20-2012, 07:15 PM
They need to cut every one of their LBs.

bowtown
11-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Everybody in their mother was calling Curry the safest pick in the 2009 draft and a sure fire Pro Bowl LB.
He got traded to the Raiders for peanuts basically and waived the very next season. Wow.

Side note, will the Raiders continue the Carson Palmer experience or cut him too?

Gross.

Mogulseeker
11-20-2012, 08:00 PM
I remember in to office a Lions fan was bitching because they took Stafford over Curry.

The guy is a talent... but I say don't give him a look.

baja
11-20-2012, 08:05 PM
The thing is JDR seems to have a talent to help guys with the mental side of the game. I refer you to the speed at which we are playing defense, that takes reacting and not thinking a lot. It speaks to JDR's coaching and his ability to get the guys all on the same page. He took a group of guys and made them into a team.

I would never question whom ever they brought in.

Agamemnon
11-20-2012, 08:17 PM
So what's the guy's deal? How does a high 1st round pick get declared a bust before his third season is even over? I haven't really followed the news on the guy.

baja
11-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Don't know about Seattle but it was injuries in Oakland so they say. Couldn't stay on the field.

teknic
11-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Can he play MLB? Otherwise, not interested.

BroncoMan4ever
11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Can he play MLB? Otherwise, not interested.

I must ask this question.

Who can step in and play the SAM if god forbid Von went down?

Woodyard, Trevathan play WILL
Irving plays MIKE and WILL

MLB is not the only need.

DBroncos4life
11-20-2012, 09:05 PM
I must ask this question.

Who can step in and play the SAM if god forbid Von went down?

Woodyard, Trevathan play WILL
Irving plays MIKE and WILL

MLB is not the only need.

Irving plays SAM when Von is out.

baja
11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
] Everybody in their mother [/B]was calling Curry the safest pick in the 2009 draft and a sure fire Pro Bowl.

What do those unborn know.

BroncoMan4ever
11-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Irving plays SAM when Von is out.

I thought he was MIKE and WILL. Point I was trying to make though, is depth will be brought in this offseason. It wouldn't be a horrible move to bring him in on a cheap deal tomaybe add some depth. JDR is a guy who can bring out the best in a player, it is a low risk situation. He works out we have solid depth and a big powerful LB. if he doesn't let him go for minimal payment.

R8R H8R
11-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Who do we cut to bring in an injured player? I say wait until he is healthy and can contribute before we cut someone. OTOH, as someone else said in so many words, if JDR likes him, I like him. :)

lonestar
11-21-2012, 06:27 AM

I'm guessing the raiders fans thought he was a genius.

Wonder how many like raider joe may still believe he is the second coming like gallery was.

That the rest of the world is wrong.

lonestar
11-21-2012, 06:29 AM
The thing is JDR seems to have a talent to help guys with the mental side of the game. I refer you to the speed at which we are playing defense, that takes reacting and not thinking a lot. It speaks to JDR's coaching and his ability to get the guys all on the same page. He took a group of guys and made them into a team.

I would never question whom ever they brought in.

Or redo there contract?

Seems to most that Mays was a fubar. Blind faith in anyone is bad.

Mediator12
11-21-2012, 08:05 AM

Somebody I know got it right ;D I was not that high on Curry coming out either. No way he was a top 10 player in that draft, let alone 4th overall.

Another lesson is avoid Wake Forrest Players like the plague in the early rounds of the draft. They have not fared well in the NFL...

Hallside
11-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Apparently, Aaron Curry got a 26 on his Wonderlic, which is a good score for a LB--even a decent score for a QB. I doubt it's his brainpower holding him back.

Wonder what his problem is.

Source: http://readandreact.net/2009/04/21/wonderlic-scores-are-out-everyone-beat-vince-youngs-score/

lonestar
11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Apparently, Aaron Curry got a 26 on his Wonderlic, which is a good score for a LB--even a decent score for a QB. I doubt it's his brainpower holding him back.

Wonder what his problem is.

Source: http://readandreact.net/2009/04/21/wonderlic-scores-are-out-everyone-beat-vince-youngs-score/

Just sometimes when poor kids hit it rich, hell for the matter most folks win the lottery their IQ level get cut by 80%, with all the dumb things they do.

Hard to concentrate on work when your mentally in the club with a sweetie on your Lap.

Maybe he guessed right taking the test.
Who the hell knows.
But seems clear if he is cut by one of the worst teams in the league something is wrong.

It is not like aldais is still making decisions there. Dennis Allen seemed to have his act together as our DC so I'd like to think he was given a chance to get it right before Allen cut him.

Agamemnon
11-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Actually, I was reading that major part of his troubles has been injuries.