PDA

View Full Version : 10 games in the books - the good & the concerns

baja
11-18-2012, 10:26 PM
The Good;

1.Peyton is back and has control of this team, everyone is buying in

2. jack del Rio has this defense playing lights out

3. Special teams are #1or #2 in several categories.

4, We are winning games while not playing our best offensively

5. Von Miller is getting better by the week

6. All the young defensive players are playing at an unbelievable level.

7. We appear to be the most complete team in the AFC

8. Although we have had injuries we are in better shape than most teams

9. Except for Baltimore we don't have any bruising games left

10. We got great coaching top to bottom.

The Concerns;

1. Champ has not played like Champ for two games now.

2, Holliday is scary with the ball, he drops the ball a lot.

3. We need Kupe to get healthy and stay healthy

4. Fumbles

5. Both DT & Decker are dropping balls they should catch

6. Very thin at Running back

7. Manning getting hit too much the last two games we can't afford this.

8, Running game needs to become stronger now that it's getting cold and the playoffs are looming.

9. Hillman should be further along

10. Koppen needs to stay healthy, if he goes down we're screwed

NFLBRONCO
11-18-2012, 10:31 PM
The Good;

The Concerns;

4. Fumbles

8, Running game needs to become stronger now that it's getting cold and the playoffs are looming.

I agree with everything you posted. I was thinking today if its nearing time to move Champ to S

Bacchus
11-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Holiday also does not field the punts. He should have fair caught that one that rolled for a 62 yard punt.

The offense is too predictable. IMO they should just come out in the first drive of the game and pass every time. Do the play action pass and loosen the defense up ON THE FIRST DRIVE.

Over all this team and the DEFENSE is much better than I thought. I think they are the most complete team in the league. Hopefully, they can kickstart the running game a little

NFLBRONCO
11-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I think the offense really misses Kuper.

DivineLegion
11-18-2012, 10:37 PM
7 is in direct relation to 3.

SoCalBronco
11-18-2012, 10:40 PM
This team could use some turkey sandwiches, Baja.

Vine
11-18-2012, 10:42 PM
disagree on good #10

Chris
11-18-2012, 10:47 PM
disagree on good #10

Really? I think the reason you're seeing so many guys come out of the woodwork for us is precisely because we've got great coaching. That said, I'm thinking more D than O.

baja
11-18-2012, 10:49 PM
This team could use some turkey sandwiches, Baja.

Maybe some madden drumsticks. ;D

Rohirrim
11-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Well, look at it this way: We're not Sandyeggo. :puff:

Vine
11-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Really? I think the reason you're seeing so many guys come out of the woodwork for us is precisely because we've got great coaching. That said, I'm thinking more D than O.

Fox is too conservative and its only a matter of time when it bites him in the ass.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
11-18-2012, 10:52 PM

Tampa Bay will be a bruising game with Doug Martin running down field and Mark Barron delivering the thump.

DBroncos4life
11-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Vine thinks we need go for it every 4th down and that John Fox is dumb for not doing that.

baja
11-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Tampa Bay will be a bruising game with Doug Martin running down field and Mark Barron delivering the thump.

They are tough no doubt but they don't beat you up they way the Ravens do.

Did you see their game tonight? Our O line better be full strength for that one.

NFLBRONCO
11-18-2012, 11:18 PM
With Kuper we are SB offense
Without Kuper it would be a struggle to go very far in playoffs

g6matty
11-18-2012, 11:23 PM
i think tampa bay will be a hard fought game.

Pick Six
11-19-2012, 12:02 AM
4. Fumbles

Underscore this. The only team that fumbles more than Denver is Kansas City. That needs to be fixed....

Archer81
11-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Fox is too conservative and its only a matter of time when it bites him in the ass.

5 straight games of 30+ points and a 57-43 pass/run ratio offensively kind of undercuts you there.

:Broncos:

DBroncos4life
11-19-2012, 12:32 AM
5 straight games of 30+ points and a 57-43 pass/run ratio offensively kind of undercuts you there.

:Broncos:

But how many 4th downs attempts did we try for?

cutthemdown
11-19-2012, 12:36 AM

The pass defense in Tampa no match for the Broncos. They are Raider bad in the secondary. Maybe 350 yrds and 4 tds for peyton in that game.

ZONA
11-19-2012, 12:52 AM
With Kuper we are SB offense
Without Kuper it would be a struggle to go very far in playoffs

I think that's stretching it a bit. A right guard is not the difference between a Superbowl and losing in the 1st round. Manram has done a decent job. He's not Kuper but he's no scrub either. Koppen got beat more then Manram did today.

Concerns: I would say the turnovers are STILL our biggest weakness. We're getting some take aways from our defense but it's being negated by our offense giving it right back up. This should have been a route today the way our defense played.

R8R H8R
11-19-2012, 01:27 AM

You're right, these young guys on both sides of the ball are really balling right now, and the combo of their own talent and great coaching is the reason. Yet, some of the numbskulls on this board have it in their minds that Fox is this or he's that and therefore he sucks, or he's holding the team back or whatever.

A coach's main responsibility is to win games first, then develop talent, then do everything else. It's not to be aggressive nor conservative, nor any of that crap. Win games and develop talent, and everything else will take care of itself. Seems simple to me.

Broncos4Life
11-19-2012, 01:29 AM
The Good;

The Concerns;

4. Fumbles

This has been going on longer than two weeks.

I've been watching him a lot this year. He is not making many plays on
the ball. Looks like hes having trouble tracking the ball. Hes been getting turned around. At CAR he got lots of safety help on Smith. Doesn't look to me like hes shutting anyone down. The only WR I've seen him shut down in recent weeks was Colston.

All I see when the camera is on 24 is a CB 2 steps behind WR's and too late to make a play when the ball is in the air. Looks like hes lost another step in the last 3 weeks. And thats the thing. Carter or Harris would have probably picked off 2 or 3 balls that Champ should have been able to make a play on in last 4 weeks.

Thoughts?

Action
11-19-2012, 01:31 AM

the ball. Looks like hes having trouble tracking the ball. Hes been getting turned around. At CAR he got lots of safety help on Smith. Doesn't look to me like hes shutting anyone down. The only WR I've seen him shut down in recent weeks was Colston.

All I see when the camera is on 24 is a CB 2 steps behind WR's and too late to make a play when the ball is in the air. Looks like hes lost another step in the last 3 weeks. And thats the thing. Carter or Harris would have probably picked off 2 or 3 balls that Champ should have been able to make a play on in last 4 weeks.

Thoughts?

He has lost a step and been getting beat a bit more this year... not getting as many pass break ups as he should be.

I think teams will be testing him with the deep ball more as the season goes on, especially Tampa Bay whom likes to chuck it down field all game long.

Durango
11-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Much of what's crossed my mind is on that list, good & not-so-good, although I think Champ still can be Champ, and DJ Williams helps that LB corps immensely. I was there today, and the Bronco crowd is completely re-energized. It's like the old days, and much less corporate.

Someone once started a thread, 'is Manning the answer?'. I think we know now what that level of QB play can bring to a team. Any team. I know it's a stretch, but I think Manning could've elevated Kansas City to 9-10 wins.'

If you don't have a top tier QB in this league, you're playing for the crumbs left by the teams that do.

ZONA
11-19-2012, 02:50 AM
Champ is definitely struggling a little bit right now, well against the pass that is. He's still very solid against the run, but yes, he is a step slower and response to cuts and moves not quite as quick as usual. We're just used to such high standards from him. He should be fine for another 2 years with this defense, now that it seems like they are clicking, have more all around talent and finally a DC worth a damn. The defense is good enough to win the Superbowl. We just need to get the running game clicking and stop turning the ball over.

Elway 4 Life
11-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Champ is definitely struggling a little bit right now, well against the pass that is. He's still very solid against the run, but yes, he is a step slower and response to cuts and moves not quite as quick as usual. We're just used to such high standards from him. He should be fine for another 2 years with this defense, now that it seems like they are clicking, have more all around talent and finally a DC worth a damn. The defense is good enough to win the Superbowl. We just need to get the running game clicking and stop turning the ball over.

I agree. This front seven is going to create more and more opportunities for the secondary. As these young DB's get more and more confident the TO's will come flooding in. Champ having lost a step is still in the top tier for CB's in the league.

Rock Chalk
11-19-2012, 07:19 AM
So interesting stat I read on PK's MMQB column.

The 0-26 consecutive drives without allowing a 3rd down conversion the Broncos had over a 3 game stretch is the longest in over 10 years.

baja
11-19-2012, 07:23 AM

Thoughts?

I thought about making a thread about this yesterday. It's probably worth it's own thread.

Rock Chalk
11-19-2012, 07:29 AM

We get it, you hate fox now shut the **** up.

Bacchus
11-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Much of what's crossed my mind is on that list, good & not-so-good, although I think Champ still can be Champ, and DJ Williams helps that LB corps immensely. I was there today, and the Bronco crowd is completely re-energized. It's like the old days, and much less corporate.

Someone once started a thread, 'is Manning the answer?'. I think we know now what that level of QB play can bring to a team. Any team. I know it's a stretch, but I think Manning could've elevated Kansas City to 9-10 wins.'

If you don't have a top tier QB in this league, you're playing for the crumbs left by the teams that do.

What did Champ get beat two or three times Sunday? He played great and he was matched up with Floyd most of the game.

baja
11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
What did Champ get beat two or three times Sunday? He played great and he was matched up with Floyd most of the game.

Actually Floyd was open several times but Rivers was to busy pooping his pants to hit him. Champ had an off day but the rush saved him.

Mountain Bronco
11-19-2012, 11:12 AM
The offense also had an off day today IMO. Several missed opportunities that we need to connect on against the better teams. The overthrown ball to Thomas and to Dressen were both big missed plays. That and the fumbles need to get fixed.

That said, SD's defense is a solid D no doubt about it, so overall it was ok, but against the Pats and Texan's you can't leave those points on the field because the Pats and Texans will put up points of their own.

Bigdawg26
11-19-2012, 11:26 AM
My only problem is that if you do move champ to S who are going to move out? Moore has been playing great, Mike Adams has been doing a pretty good job (and you don't really want to move Moore or Champ to SS because they won't really hold up), Leonard has been doing well, and Carter comes back next year. In order to get the best guys out there you have to keep Champ at CB. I say keep him CB but don't always line him up against the #1 wide out all the time.

baja
11-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I still think Champ is our best corner by a bunch and can still play man on man but with certain receivers on some Sundays be quick to give him some help like you would any mortal corner. He's not the player he was but he is still damn good.

pricejj
11-19-2012, 11:44 AM
The "Champ to Safety" talk is ridiculous.

He basically shut out Mike Wallace, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Marques Colston, A.J. Green, and Steve Smith.

Danario Alexander gets a few catches against him (no TD's) in the second half of a game, where the Broncos Defense only gave up only two 1st downs in the first half, and you want to move him to Safety?

I can see Champ laughing at you, all the way to his 12th Pro-Bowl.

Mountain Bronco
11-19-2012, 11:50 AM
While I agree that Champ is still a great QB, he did not shut down AJ Green.

Broncos4Life
11-19-2012, 11:56 AM

This.

Also, check the CAR game again if you can. He did not lock down S. Smith. They doubled him all over the field that day, and he had S help over the top.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2012, 11:59 AM

TB has two players that should be Broncos, Doug Martin and Lavonta Davis (or David). Both-should-be-Broncos!

But hey, we got Twilight, right?

DBroncos4life
11-19-2012, 12:00 PM
This.

Also, check the CAR game again if you can. He did not lock down S. Smith. They doubled him all over the field that day, and he had S help over the top.

Really no reason not to double Smith thought. Panthers can't run so no reason to bring safeties downly for help. Why let the only guy that can beat you beat you if you don't need too?

DBroncos4life
11-19-2012, 12:03 PM
TB has two players that should be Broncos, Doug Martin and Lavonta Davis (or David). Both-should-be-Broncos!

But hey, we got Twilight, right?

Quick question where does WW play when we draft David and who replaces Wolfe when we drafted Martin?

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Quick question where does WW play when we draft David and who replaces Wolfe when we drafted Martin?

Point is no need for Twilight. The Bronco could have gotton one of these players and Wolfe. I know, hindsight is 20/20, right?

If Twilight pans out, fine. Otherwise he's a wasted pick IMHO.

NFLBRONCO
11-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I still think Champ is our best corner by a bunch and can still play man on man but with certain receivers on some Sundays be quick to give him some help like you would any mortal corner. He's not the player he was but he is still damn good.

If I was Denver though I'd be looking for our next #1 CB to groom in the next 2 yrs.

DBroncos4life
11-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Point is no need for Twilight. The Bronco could have gotton one of these players and Wolfe. I know, hindsight is 20/20, right?

You no have proof that Denver still ends up with Wolfe at all here.

pricejj
11-19-2012, 12:19 PM

1. A.J. Green had one TD, and Champ was right there, almost stripping the ball as Green made a great falling catch out of bounds.
2. The only other big play that Champ gave up to Green, was a 37-yard bomb down the right sideline, where Green pushed off at the last second to create separation.
3. A.J. Green went 5 receptions for 70 yards against Champ Bailey that day (half of it coming on one play).
4. Champ intercepted a pass intended for Green late in the game.

So no, Champ didn't completely shut down Green, but what do you expect? It was a good matchup, with Green getting a TD, and Champ getting an INT.

Is that the only TD Champ has given up all year?

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
You have proof that Denver still ends up with Wolfe at all here.

Of course not, but if this team had Doug Martin the RB issues would be handled and they could have still got Wolfe in the second.

pricejj
11-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Of course not, but if this team had Doug Martin the RB issues would be handled and they could have still got Wolfe in the second.

Not true. Not true at all. In fact, if Courtney Upshaw hadn't fallen all the way to #35, Baltimore would have taken Wolfe there.

Wolfe should have 5 sacks right now. One was taken away by a Dumervil offsides penalty...and he definitely should have been given credit for a half sack the play he was injured where he and Von sandwiched Rivers.

You are sadly mistaken if you think Wolfe would have lasted to #57.

TonyR
11-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Yup, if the FO had known PM would be healthy and the team this good overall Martin would be an easy choice over Osweiler.

Tombstone RJ
11-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Not true. Not true at all. In fact, if Courtney Upshaw hadn't fallen all the way to #35, Baltimore would have taken Wolfe there.

Wolfe should have 5 sacks right now. One was taken away by a Dumervil offsides penalty...and he definitely should have been given credit for a half sack the play he was injured where he and Von sandwiched Rivers.

You are sadly mistaken if you think Wolfe would have lasted to #57.

I never said they that. The Broncos had plenty of draft picks to move around and still get Wolfe in the second.

pricejj
11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Quick question where does WW play when we draft David

Nowhere. WW sits the bench behind David at WLB, doesn't develop, and misses out on his All-Pro season.

and who replaces Wolfe when we drafted Martin?

Unrein/Bannan. With no pass-rush on the inside, Von is tripled on every play, and the Broncos get hammered in the playoffs... again.

Mountain Bronco
11-19-2012, 12:39 PM
1. A.J. Green had one TD, and Champ was right there, almost stripping the ball as Green made a great falling catch out of bounds.
2. The only other big play that Champ gave up to Green, was a 37-yard bomb down the right sideline, where Green pushed off at the last second to create separation.
3. A.J. Green went 5 receptions for 70 yards against Champ Bailey that day (half of it coming on one play).
4. Champ intercepted a pass intended for Green late in the game.

So no, Champ didn't completely shut down Green, but what do you expect? It was a good matchup, with Green getting a TD, and Champ getting an INT.

Is that the only TD Champ has given up all year?

Dude I agreed with you; however, you said it yourself that Champ didn't shut him down. Not a bad day against such a good receiver, but not a shut out. I wouldn't move Champ at all. Dude takes on the toughest receivers and does a good job on them allowing the young gun CB's to shine opposite him.

mhgaffney
11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I think that's stretching it a bit. A right guard is not the difference between a Superbowl and losing in the 1st round. Manram has done a decent job. He's not Kuper but he's no scrub either. Koppen got beat more then Manram did today.

Concerns: I would say the turnovers are STILL our biggest weakness. We're getting some take aways from our defense but it's being negated by our offense giving it right back up. This should have been a route today the way our defense played.

We saw how Ramirez got owned by better D lines. They push him back into Manning. Let's hope Kuper is ready for the play offs.

Rabb
11-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Dude I agreed with you; however, you said it yourself that Champ didn't shut him down. Not a bad day against such a good receiver, but not a shut out. I wouldn't move Champ at all. Dude takes on the toughest receivers and does a good job on them allowing the young gun CB's to shine opposite him.

We aren't allowed to be critical of Broncos until they move to other teams...don't forget that.

maher_tyler
11-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Slow starts and turnovers won't cut it against quality teams. We get that under control and I like our chances.

Fedaykin
11-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Lost in the commotion is the big picture:

We have PFM being PFM.

... WITH a defense having his back.

oh, and decent special teams as well.

The O still needs some work, particularly in the run game (sadly, may be in trouble there) and chemistry between PFM and the receiving corp, but we're cranking out 30ppg, as a team.

I was expecting this year to be a waste of time with PFM being PFM-lite and the typical abysmal defense we've come to expect over the last 7 years. So far, that expectation is getting blown away.

baja
11-19-2012, 02:39 PM

Ya dont say, did you come up with that all by yourself? ;D

DENVERDUI55
11-19-2012, 02:53 PM
As in other threads like this the fact that we are going to have to rely on Slowshon scares the crap out of me. He is slow and runs with no power. I think we need a pounder that gets the tough yards not dance like Slowshon.

Dropped Balls are starting to piss me off especially by Decker.

Fumbles are a joke too.

Defense is playing well and will need to stay healthy.

pricejj
11-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Dropped Balls are starting to piss me off especially by Decker.

This. Decker's dropped balls/missed blocking assignments are pissing me off too.

The dude has Tony Romo syndrome. Granted, if my wife was Jessica Simpson or Jessie James, I would be knock-kneed more often than not, but sheesh...

...doesn't he have an obligation to Peyton Freaking Manning? Is nothing sacred anymore?

Get it together Decker. Just say no to the poon for a couple months.

Bronco Yoda
11-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Stupid drops and turnovers are stopping us from dominating. But our Defense on 3rd down is flat out balling. I really wish we had a pile-pushing RB to move the chains for when the weather starts getting sloppy.

PaintballCLE
11-20-2012, 12:25 AM
The Good;

The Concerns;

4. Fumbles

i would say 3 games for champ........ AJ green tore him up

Old Dude
11-20-2012, 07:00 AM
I think Champ is still playing at a very high level.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. He's getting challenged more these days because the other DBs are holding up their end. In the past, there was no reason to throw his way when guys were constantly open on the other side.

2. With all due respect to Miller, Doom, etc., one of the reasons Denver is leading in sacks is because of solid coverage in the secondary.

orinjkrush
11-20-2012, 06:30 PM
come on. champ is not perfect, nobody is. but on any GIVEN play, where I absolutely, definitely need a play...I'll take Champ.

on O, and D and ST we are seeing that we need a solidly good, not perfect, but not average game from everybody, if we are to have a shot in the playoffs.

Decker and DT need to catch and HOLD the damn ball.

Hillman and Ball and shhhhh...maybe Knowsho need to step UP

Holliday needs to hold the damn ball AND get a return

and Carter, Woodyard, Harris and Moore need to keep playing lights out football.

if, if and if...then....maybe...

baja
11-20-2012, 06:34 PM
I love Champ but he has been off his game the last two weeks. Doesn't mean he won't rebound. Every play has a few off games now and then. Remember it was just a concern.

orinjkrush
11-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I love Champ but he has been off his game the last two weeks. Doesn't mean he won't rebound. Every play has a few off games now and then. Remember it was just a concern.

and an interesting observation too.

mhgaffney
11-20-2012, 06:57 PM

Correct me if I am wrong -- but Champ's only allowed one TD this year.

Requiem
11-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Peyton's Terrific Trio:

Demaryius Thomas -- 57 receptions, 933 yards and 5 touchdowns.

Eric Decker -- 50 receptions, 621 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Brandon Stokley -- 32 receptions, 387 yards and 5 touchdowns.

Still would like some better depth there besides Caldwell and Willis, but it seems like our tight ends get a lot of playing time in certain packages split out. Spend a draft choice on a guy like Tavon Austin and we would be ****ting all over the NFL. Look at what Green Bay has been able to accomplish and their drafting paid off given the injuries this year.

BAM!

NFLBRONCO
11-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Peyton's Terrific Trio:

Still would like some better depth there besides Caldwell and Willis, but it seems like our tight ends get a lot of playing time in certain packages split out. Spend a draft choice on a guy like Tavon Austin and we would be ****ting all over the NFL. Look at what Green Bay has been able to accomplish and their drafting paid off given the injuries this year.

BAM!

I would love Austin in a Bronco uni next year

baja
11-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Tamme 34 receptions 312 yards

Dressen 27 receptions 250 yards

Green 3 receptions 44 yards

teknic
11-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Stupid drops and turnovers are stopping us from dominating. But our Defense on 3rd down is flat out balling. I really wish we had a pile-pushing RB to move the chains for when the weather starts getting sloppy.

This. 1000x over.

The Broncos need a running back that can convert those third and shorts. Some of the blame obviously lies with the offensive line, but those should be easy conversions to continue a drive.

Chris
11-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Decker needs to practice catching the ball when his feet have left the ground. Right now he seems fundamentally limited.

DBroncos4life
11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Peyton's Terrific Trio:

BAM!I've suggested Austin on the draft board. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the NFL if we got him.

Heyneck
11-20-2012, 10:28 PM
While I think most of you are overreacting about Champ supposed decline, if he ever does move to another position, I hope it's to the nickle spot ala Charles Woodson. If we have 2 solid outside cover corners, Champ would kill it in the slot.