PDA

View Full Version : Sportswriters...... Who is your favorite?

ludo21
11-16-2012, 12:05 PM
I got thinking about this because of the article in the link below. "What Happened to Rick Reilly"? That guy was great on SI but has sucked on Espin. Poor guy has not been given a good role and then the debacle on MNF the other night was a classic crap the bed moment by him and ESPN.
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40284448

Bill Simmons!!! :giggle: (not my favorite but not terrible like others here think.)

I would say mine right now, is Mike Silver Yahoo Sports!

fwf
11-16-2012, 12:18 PM
I like Woody and Pat Forde. Although it use to be Shefty when he was at the post.

My least favorite are Reilly and Bill Williamson. How Williamson has a job at ESPN is a great mystery to me. Like a dummy I keep giving him more chances bc he writes about the Broncos and every time I regret it.

KipCorrington25
11-16-2012, 12:21 PM
What happened on MNF? The only debacle I saw was why the hell were they showing a **** team like Kansas City?

baja
11-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Called Big Ben a drunk in a caption.

RhymesayersDU
11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
"All sports writers and talking heads are know-nothing hacks."

/typical OMane dork

ludo21
11-16-2012, 01:38 PM
What happened on MNF? The only debacle I saw was why the hell were they showing a **** team like Kansas City?

After Big Ben got hurt Reilly was beggin Stuart Scott to give him the credit for tweeting FIRST that he was out and hurt bad. this was done on the air :~ohyah!:

just typical me first crap that sports guys try to do now to BREAK NEWS first

bombay
11-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Dave Krieger

SonOfLe-loLang
11-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Chuck Klosterman probably doesnt count hey

Chris
11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Don't read sports articles not about the Broncos or on the mane. Am I alone in this?

Tombstone RJ
11-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I get Kliss and Kizla messed up. One is really bad and the other is pretty good. I think it's Kliss that sucks and Kizla that is good but I might be getting it backwards.

oubronco
11-16-2012, 02:28 PM
The guys who go to camp and bring the news to all of here who can't go are my favorites

Rabb
11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
In before IAOFM circle jerk

bronco militia
11-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Dave Krieger

:strong:

yep

bronco militia
11-16-2012, 02:44 PM
In before IAOFM circle jerk

and those guys too

extralife
11-16-2012, 04:19 PM
if you ever liked rick reily your opinion on this topic is irrelevant.

I guess the answer is wright thompson

GoHAM
11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
if you ever liked rick reily your opinion on this topic is irrelevant.

I guess the answer is wright thompson

That's just wrong, while it is fair to say that he sucks now and for the last few years, there really was a reason why ESPN paid Reilly so much money. He was that good at SI. Unfortunately for him and ESPN Reilly is not a TV guy and has been mailing it in for awhile now.

Reilly also wrote excellent Bronco pieces for SI especially this one on John Elway.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1009290/index.htm

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1996/1230_large.jpg

Mogulseeker
11-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Anybody except Woody Paige.

Broncos_OTM
11-16-2012, 06:05 PM
I forgot how to read

Kaylore
11-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Rick Reilly isn't my favorite, but I like the segments he does on ESPN. I was unaware something "happened" to him. I think he should go into normal journalism. His style doesn't fit the sensationalist crap they are spinning at E$PN.

Dutch
11-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Dick Conner. Hands down. If you grew up in Colorado in the 70's-80's he was the printed "Voice" of Colorado sports, and nobody wrote about the Broncos better. One reason it is soooooo disappointing having to pour over the drivel we get now. Great read from the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame:

http://www.coloradosports.org/inducteeprofile.cfm?id=134

Shef was probably the best since. I also like Terry Frie's work. He's another native who "gets it" when it comes to Colorado sports. Turns a good phrase as well.

My older brother is the same age as Reilly and crossed paths with him several times when Rick was at CU. Jeff had a couple of good buddies up there who would come down for DU hockey games and Reilly and the girl he was dating (first wife, I think) would show up with the group. My bro partied with them after the games (once he cleaned up). He always said that Reilly is one of the funniest guys he ever met. Real quick, with a sharp mind. Bit of a whiner, but overall, good guy. I know he has raised $24 million for $10 mosquito nets for kids in Africa to help reduce the spread of Malaria.

OrangeSe7en
11-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Theyre pretty much all trolls.

s0phr0syne
11-16-2012, 07:45 PM
The guys who go to camp and bring the news to all of here who can't go are my favorites

Agreed! :strong:

Even if it gets me overly excited about some guy from UTEP who was nicknamed "Quick Six"

Dr. Broncenstein
11-17-2012, 02:42 AM
I like the guys on Sirius. Specifically Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan. I'd rather listen than read football news and opinion.

Dutch
11-17-2012, 08:18 AM
I like the guys on Sirius. Specifically Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan. I'd rather listen than read football news and opinion.

Agreed. Although I've caught myself tuning in to Denver Sports-talk Radio more than ever (almost daily) this year. Nice after the **** storm that was Teebs. Sandy Clough has been pretty good the last few weeks in the morning/mid day (eastern time zone).

FISH
11-17-2012, 08:43 AM
I prefer our OM camp reporters....after that I like Andrew Mason but after he made such an emphasis about not being a Bronco fan (I get neutrality but that kinda pissed me off for some reason) I've been more partial to Lindsay Jones....clean simple updates.

Kaylore
11-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Agreed. Although I've caught myself tuning in to Denver Sports-talk Radio more than ever (almost daily) this year. Nice after the **** storm that was Teebs. Sandy Clough has been pretty good the last few weeks in the morning/mid day (eastern time zone).

I agree with this. I called into his show yesterday, actually. I still think he shouts over people too much before they finish, but generally he knows what he's talking about. I also like Joel Klatt, not so much Mike Evans who is constantly trying to prove he's not the dork I am 95% sure he is was (and still is, really) growing up. I flip between them and Mike & Mike, then I'll listen to Rome and sometimes Cowherd if I want to torture myself.

Then the best show on radio is Les and Nalen. Tom is a breath of fresh air. Rather than other celebrities who are worried about saying the wrong and thing and sounding perfect, Nalen lets it all hang out and is pretty a matter of fact about many things. He also doesn't make it schticky. Then I switch to Alfred and DMAC and then I don't listen anymore.

baja
11-17-2012, 09:58 AM
I agree with this. I called into his show yesterday, actually. I still think he shouts over people too much before they finish, but generally he knows what he's talking about. I also like Joel Klatt, not so much Mike Evans who is constantly trying to prove he's not the dork I am 95% sure he is was (and still is, really) growing up. I flip between them and Mike & Mike, then I'll listen to Rome and sometimes Cowherd if I want to torture myself.

Then the best show on radio is Les and Nalen. Tom is a breath of fresh air. Rather than other celebrities who are worried about saying the wrong and thing and sounding perfect, Nalen lets it all hang out and is pretty a matter of fact about many things. He also doesn't make it schticky. Then I switch to Alfred and DMAC and then I don't listen anymore.

Which station is Nails on?

TonyR
11-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Bill Simmons! Here's his pick on the Broncos game this week:

Chargers (+7.5) over BRONCOS
Gambling rules favoring the Broncos: "Don't go against a hot team," "Don't go against Peyton Manning in a big home game," "Don't pick Norv Turner in a big game ever" and a special one just for this game, "Always pick the home team that's +20 in sacks over the road team that keeps landing in articles with headlines like 'O-Line play not helping Chargers' cause' and 'Chargers' line offensive, too'."

Gambling rules favoring the Chargers: "Be careful with high spreads in division games," "Be careful of any team when it's their biggest game of the year," "Be careful with road teams who had previous success in that stadium" (and San Diego has won five of their last six in Denver), "Be careful of any favorite when they're going to be thrown into every two-team teaser on Sunday," "Be careful of Norv Turner anytime his job is definitely on the line because he's like Michael Myers you have to chop his head off to get rid of him, or else he's coming back."

(Thinking )

(Still thinking )

(When in doubt, take the points right?) http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8639525/just-go-away-gary

KipCorrington25
11-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Ugh, Joel Klatt is a braying ass. It takes real talent to be such a know it all at 30.