PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Von Miller, Kevin Vickerson fined by NFL

Action
11-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Broncos' Von Miller, Kevin Vickerson fined by NFL

Excerpts...

Now it's toward the end of the game. Miller was on a pass rush, got knocked to the ground, crawled and wrapped his arms around quarterback Cam Newton's legs near the ankles. Another Broncos players hit Newton high, but Miller got the penalty for roughing the passer.

Not only did Miller get penalized for hitting below the quarterback's knees, but the league fined him $21,000 Thursday. Miller said he will appeal.

"How am I supposed to know if he threw the ball or not?" Miller said. "I was down on the ground — actually the guard facemasked me and threw me into the quarterback. I'm supposed to what? Stand straight up and continue with the tackle?"

Another Broncos defensive player, Kevin Vickerson, was fined $15,000 for his horsecollar penalty while sacking Newton.

Read more: Broncos' Von Miller, Kevin Vickerson fined by NFL - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_22004698/broncos-von-miller-kevin-vickerson-fined-by-nfl#ixzz2CKiiekR7

Nwp-Apap
11-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Absolutely ridiculous.

Smilin Assassin
11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Ok wow.

Any fine of that amount should only be given when there is 'clear intent to injure'.

This is sad.

MileHighMagic
11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
That is called stealing and an abuse of power. The NFL has lost their minds with these fines. Von did absolutely nothing wrong. Do they expect him to just quit on the play?

Crushisback
11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
When did penalties stop being enough onplays where there was no obvious intent to injure or play outside the rules?

What's next Goodell?

schaaf
11-15-2012, 03:44 PM
tack on another 10 grand for talking back to daddy

crush17
11-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Pathetic. **** you Ginger Hammer.

baja
11-15-2012, 03:50 PM
No good for football

Chris
11-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Where's the petition?

****ing bs. At least I wish Von could read these threads and know ordinary fans think so too.

Requiem
11-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Lick my 9, Roger.

ColoradoDarin
11-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Makes me want to pay a couple hundred $ to go to a game Roge....

bronco militia
11-15-2012, 05:09 PM
holy crap...and that wasn't even a horse collar!!!

canadianbroncosfan
11-15-2012, 05:11 PM
But hey guys, it's HD TV ruining the game.

ZONA
11-15-2012, 05:14 PM

Excerpts...

Now it's toward the end of the game. Miller was on a pass rush, got knocked to the ground, crawled and wrapped his arms around quarterback Cam Newton's legs near the ankles. Another Broncos players hit Newton high, but Miller got the penalty for roughing the passer.

Not only did Miller get penalized for hitting below the quarterback's knees, but the league fined him $21,000 Thursday. Miller said he will appeal.

"How am I supposed to know if he threw the ball or not?" Miller said. "I was down on the ground — actually the guard facemasked me and threw me into the quarterback. I'm supposed to what? Stand straight up and continue with the tackle?"

Another Broncos defensive player, Kevin Vickerson, was fined $15,000 for his horsecollar penalty while sacking Newton.

Read more: Broncos' Von Miller, Kevin Vickerson fined by NFL - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_22004698/broncos-von-miller-kevin-vickerson-fined-by-nfl#ixzz2CKiiekR7

Just the league collecting their usual fees. It's like the saying goes, there are only 2 things you have to do, die and pay taxes. For NFL players it's 3 (Death, Taxes and NFL fines).

Kaylore
11-15-2012, 05:14 PM
This is a reaction to 4 starting qb's getting knocked out of the game last week. Apparently all defenders must be stopped.

Jetmeck
11-15-2012, 06:00 PM
GODdell at it again. I love every time this dictator is taken to court and made to look stupid.

lonestar
11-15-2012, 06:25 PM
and how many of y'all would be saying hooray if it had been done to someone doing that to Manning..

MileHighMagic
11-15-2012, 06:37 PM
and how many of y'all would be saying hooray if it had been done to someone doing that to Manning..

Did you see the play?

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-15-2012, 06:38 PM
The pink league. All fluff these days

BroncoMan4ever
11-15-2012, 07:17 PM

He didn't dive at the legs. Is he supposed to quit on the playbecause a OL took him to the ground? It wasn't dirty or cheap.

maher_tyler
11-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Can he be the Commish for as long as he wants?? What does it take for him to be replaced? He's ruining the NFL!

baja
11-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Can he be the Commish for as long as he wants?? What does it take for him to be replaced? He's ruining the NFL!

a rib injury and a pick up game???

Broncos_OTM
11-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I would have been OK if it was manning. Didn't look to injure. Game on

Jekyll15Hyde
11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
holy crap...and that wasn't even a horse collar!!!

this

lonestar
11-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Did you see the play?

Yes, I did, it is what it is..

Like I said had it been reversed on Manning the cry foul would have been loud and obnoxious on the OM..

lonestar
11-15-2012, 08:07 PM
He didn't dive at the legs. Is he supposed to quit on the playbecause a OL took him to the ground? It wasn't dirty or cheap.

I did not say it was, dirty or cheap, but it was not a legal hit according to the rules..

I do not fault Von for being the energizer bunny continuing to try.. in fact I applaud him for it..

But it was not a legal hit.. Plain and simple or the league would not have fined him..

your beef is with the owners they set the rules.. not with the commissioners office, they are doing their jobs....

That One Guy
11-15-2012, 08:07 PM
LOL

This is the CBA the players agreed to. Looks like they didn't have their priorities in line when negotiations were occurring.

lonestar
11-15-2012, 08:10 PM

he can be replaced by a vote of the 32 owners.. he does not make the rules THEY DO..

they want the QB protected or the rule would not be there..

b**** at them not the guy doing his job..

again had it been Manning would you be pissing and moaning about it?

broncosteven
11-15-2012, 08:11 PM
If Miller loses the appeal then I will bitch about it. Miller clearly got knocked to the ground then rather than give up on the play he made a great effort to go for the sack. He had no way to see what was going on above him.

If he loses his appeal this is one Bowlen should pick up or they pass the hat in the locker room.

lonestar
11-15-2012, 08:11 PM
LOL

This is the CBA the players agreed to. Looks like they didn't have their priorities in line when negotiations were occurring.

I'd guess about 98% of the priorities they had were how much money they would be getting..

That One Guy
11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
I'd guess about 98% of the priorities they had were how much money they would be getting..

Exactly. How much money they could make and how they could avoid getting busted with drugs and whatnot.

lonestar
11-15-2012, 08:13 PM
If Miller loses the appeal then I will b**** about it. Miller clearly got knocked to the ground then rather than give up on the play he made a great effort to go for the sack. He had no way to see what was going on above him.

If he loses his appeal this is one Bowlen should pick up or they pass the hat in the locker room.

Which could get the team or his teammates fined and or suspended..

Again I do not disagree your thoughts just that it is what it is.. fined for breaking the rules..

Let me add the one and only speeding ticket I got as a kid, the judge told me Ignorance of the law was NO EXCUSE.. PAY the fine and learn to watch the limit signs..

broncosteven
11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
I did not say it was, dirty or cheap, but it was not a legal hit according to the rules..

I do not fault Von for being the energizer bunny continuing to try.. in fact I applaud him for it..

But it was not a legal hit.. Plain and simple or the league would not have fined him..

your beef is with the owners they set the rules.. not with the commissioners office, they are doing their jobs....

They got the flag for it, no need to dole out a fine in this case, there was no intent to injure.

Now if Miller came in low unblocked while Vickerson was engaged high then he should get a flag and a fine.

lonestar
11-15-2012, 08:17 PM
I would have been OK if it was manning. Didn't look to injure. Game on

Then your the minority.. :salute:

I'll say it again, had it been Manning 90% of the OM would have been going nutzoid.

lonestar
11-15-2012, 08:20 PM
They got the flag for it, no need to dole out a fine in this case, there was no intent to injure.

Now if Miller came in low unblocked while Vickerson was engaged high then he should get a flag and a fine.

I get it, I really do..

But the rules says no high low hits no hitting below the knees .

I believe with all my heart that Von was not trying to hurt him.. He is not a dirty player as far as I can see unlike a lot of low lifes in the NFL..

But they broke the law.. not intentionally.. talk to the PAT and his friends they are the ones that put a premium on protecting the QB.. Actually I think it was Kraft as the prime mover on this one When Bledso went down......

hambone13
11-15-2012, 09:41 PM

Why do you always have to be the combative one? It's clearly no intent to harm. Any objective fan on here would feel precisely the same way. But no, LoneCock has to come in and stir the pot.

Lestat
11-15-2012, 10:13 PM
this is getting ridiculous. i can buy Vickerson's fine but Von's fine is pure BS.
i swear James Harrison might have been right when he said Goodell is trying to make this flag football.

cutthemdown
11-15-2012, 10:22 PM

NFL doesn't care about anything but acting like they are trying to protect players. IMO the main goal is to avoid liability for lawsuits. They probably already know it won't really reduce injuries. It will reduce them looking like they don't care though.

The numbers WR and QBS are putting up are only because defenders are trying to not hit them in certain situations. But the injuries IMO won't change. Often injuries don't even happen on the hit that looks the meanest. Sometimes the clean vicious hit is better then the awkward falling down someone else falls into you cluster**** tackle.

DenverBroncosJM
11-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Why do you always have to be the combative one? It's clearly no intent to harm. Any objective fan on here would feel precisely the same way. But no, LoneCock has to come in and stir the pot.

He is the new mc grinder or whatever that fools name was just put him on ignore like I will as soon as I finish this post!

lonestar
11-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Now who is being combative. Name calling that is beneath you or at least it used to be. .

What obsess you off is you know I'm correct in what I'm saying.
While most are being emotional or juvelinile about it.

I'm giving the facts and frankly it seems that YOU CAN'T handle it.

Let's repeat the facts..

They were fined for braking the rules.
Because they are broncos everyone is butt hurt about it.
If it were Manning most would be out raged.
The Commissioners office is doing the job they were hired to do.
The refs flagged it because it was a foul.
The owners made the rule to protect the QBs.

Now I personally do not agree with the fine, but it is not in my wheel house ( translated I have zero power to change it). Nor does anyone else on here the pissing and moaning should be directed at the OWNERS. (for you über liberals the fat cat billionaires).

So IN YOUR OPINE I'm wrong for pointing out facts.

Yep that is logical.

lonestar
11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
NFL doesn't care about anything but acting like they are trying to protect players. IMO the main goal is to avoid liability for lawsuits. They probably already know it won't really reduce injuries. It will reduce them looking like they don't care though.

The numbers WR and QBS are putting up are only because defenders are trying to not hit them in certain situations. But the injuries IMO won't change. Often injuries don't even happen on the hit that looks the meanest. Sometimes the clean vicious hit is better then the awkward falling down someone else falls into you cluster**** tackle.

Now this is the most relevant post in the thread.

Most injuries happen when one or more of the players have given up on the play.. Or at least that is what they used to say.

lonestar
11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
He is the new mc grinder or whatever that fools name was just put him on ignore like I will as soon as I finish this post!

As I said you can't handle the truth.

KipCorrington25
11-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Heavy fines for tough hits, 8,000 commercials every second possible, the NFL will eventually out use it's usefullness.

maher_tyler
11-16-2012, 01:30 AM
he can be replaced by a vote of the 32 owners.. he does not make the rules THEY DO..

they want the QB protected or the rule would not be there..

b**** at them not the guy doing his job..

again had it been Manning would you be pissing and moaning about it?

I don't remember seeing anything in the game I thought would ever end up being a fine.

kateean2
11-16-2012, 02:36 AM
No good for football

ol#7
11-16-2012, 02:54 AM
I don't remember seeing anything in the game I thought would ever end up being a fine.

This^^^^^

vancejohnson82
11-16-2012, 04:41 AM

at least u are consistently a douchehammer in every thread

Punisher
11-16-2012, 05:35 AM
****ing whores,Von needs that money to bail D.J out of jail when he decides to go on a drinking bend.

broncobum6162
11-16-2012, 05:47 AM
Ja vol mon Herr Goodell.. Seig. Heil! Seig. Heil!

Excerpts...

TheReverend
11-16-2012, 06:05 AM
Ja vol mon Herr Goodell.. Seig. Heil! Seig. Heil!

* wohl

* mein

Also, Herr works but Fuhrer gets your point across better

<3

TheChamp24
11-16-2012, 06:56 AM
**** i thought they fined him for being too good.

oubronco
11-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Now tackling will be illegal 15 yd unsportsmanlike conduct, **** this asshat

SleepingTiger
11-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Now who is being combative. Name calling that is beneath you or at least it used to be. .

What obsess you off is you know I'm correct in what I'm saying.
While most are being emotional or juvelinile about it.

I'm giving the facts and frankly it seems that YOU CAN'T handle it.

Let's repeat the facts..

They were fined for braking the rules.
Because they are broncos everyone is butt hurt about it.
If it were Manning most would be out raged.
The Commissioners office is doing the job they were hired to do.
The refs flagged it because it was a foul.
The owners made the rule to protect the QBs.

Now I personally do not agree with the fine, but it is not in my wheel house ( translated I have zero power to change it). Nor does anyone else on here the pissing and moaning should be directed at the OWNERS. (for you über liberals the fat cat billionaires).

So IN YOUR OPINE I'm wrong for pointing out facts.

Yep that is logical.

Unfortunately I agree with Lonestar on this. The rules are there to protect the QB. They were made by the owners and the players union signed off. The commissioners office is just enforcing it.

I don't agree with the rules, but the hate directed toward Goodell is unfair. Any hate should be directed at the owners and the players union. Besides, I don't even think Goodell is the one making all the fines.

That One Guy
11-16-2012, 09:00 AM
The problem with directing ANY hatred at the NFL for these things (and I do - I hate the new rules) is that the NFL is doing this stuff only due to the current attempts by the players to constantly claim the NFL isn't doing enough to protect them. The NFL has to protect the players from themselves and if they don't do a good enough job, more people just sign onto the lawsuits.

If the union were leading the charge on change in these departments, the NFL wouldn't have to. I think it's pathetic that the players are trying to hurt each other so often that the NFL has to step in while the union itself just stands back and cries about what the NFL is doing to its players.

BroncoMan4ever
11-16-2012, 09:42 AM

My beef is with the commisioners office overextending themselves to fine plays that aren't fine worthy. Illegal hit and he got the flag for it, but finable hits are those where there is an intent to injure. Von just didn't quit on a play where he was pulled to the ground. If these types of plays ensure a penalty and a fine you are going to see the further pussification of the NFL because OL will just be taught to take there opposition to the ground because that player us basically taken out of the play and if that player keeps playing he's going to get penalized. Also defensive players will quit playing once they get knocked down to avoid letters from Goodell

baja
11-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Bet Von wins his appeal

lonestar
11-16-2012, 10:05 AM
The problem with directing ANY hatred at the NFL for these things (and I do - I hate the new rules) is that the NFL is doing this stuff only due to the current attempts by the players to constantly claim the NFL isn't doing enough to protect them. The NFL has to protect the players from themselves and if they don't do a good enough job, more people just sign onto the lawsuits.

If the union were leading the charge on change in these departments, the NFL wouldn't have to. I think it's pathetic that the players are trying to hurt each other so often that the NFL has to step in while the union itself just stands back and cries about what the NFL is doing to its players.

:thumbs:

Unions in general are for one thing.. What the players want. In general MONEY, no one on the D Side is in favor of making it easier for the QB or passing game no one of the O is in favor of making defending easier.

Now they will piss and moan publicly about making the game safer, then turn around as players and whine about the rules being changed or being enforced.

The union is on record but there is no real teeth in what they said. The players are warriors the union is coach speak.

There only job is to get more money for their millionaire players, from the billionaire owner.

lonestar
11-16-2012, 10:09 AM
My beef is with the commisioners office overextending themselves to fine plays that aren't fine worthy. Illegal hit and he got the flag for it, but finable hits are those where there is an intent to injure. Von just didn't quit on a play where he was pulled to the ground. If these types of plays ensure a penalty and a fine you are going to see the further pussification of the NFL because OL will just be taught to take there opposition to the ground because that player us basically taken out of the play and if that player keeps playing he's going to get penalized. Also defensive players will quit playing once they get knocked down to avoid letters from Goodell

Partially I agree. About quitting and making the game more gentille.

But the pendulum will swing back some when the owners see that like in this case he was taken out of the play by defacto holding. The pressure from them will cause the refs to throw the flag at the real culprit. And then the defender gets flagged for REAL hits only.

Boobs McGee
11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Didn't this all start when Brady went down a few years back with the knee injury on a similar play? EDIT: I think this is what started it all-

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7aVe_Ge09U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7aVe_Ge09U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Seemed legit then, and it seems legit now. That's a football player trying to make a tackle, and an unfortunate result of Tom Terrific stepping forward at the same time Pollard was leaping forward. I don't have a video of Von's hit (if anyone could supply it, that would be great), but don't remember seeing anything "fineworthy" on sunday.

If the same thing happened to Manning, it (imo) would be an unfortunate turn of events, but I wouldn't be up in arms at all.

I think the majority of people on the Mane would realize that it's a normal hit, without malice, and completely within reason. This whole "90% of the OM would be crying" is pure speculation, just as my reasoning is.

Thanks Roger Goodell and the owners for pussifying my favorite game

lonestar
11-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Didn't this all start when Brady went down a few years back with the knee injury on a similar play? EDIT: I think this is what started it all-

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7aVe_Ge09U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7aVe_Ge09U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Seemed legit then, and it seems legit now. That's a football player trying to make a tackle, and an unfortunate result of Tom Terrific stepping forward at the same time Pollard was leaping forward. I don't have a video of Von's hit (if anyone could supply it, that would be great), but don't remember seeing anything "fineworthy" on sunday.

If the same thing happened to Manning, it (imo) would be an unfortunate turn of events, but I wouldn't be up in arms at all.

I think the majority of people on the Mane would realize that it's a normal hit, without malice, and completely within reason. This whole "90% of the OM would be crying" is pure speculation, just as my reasoning is.

I had thought it was started back when Bledsoe was hurtthen added to it when Palmer was hit low And I think the final straw was Brady. Two of those three QBs were krafts a me he has loads of power as an owner.

If you falling out of love with the NFL there are alternatives the underwear league and rugby.

No one wants to see a career ended with a cheap shot. Well no one with half a brain.

SportinOne
11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Whatever, it's only 20 grand. Von Miller makes that in his sleep and I doubt it effects his play whatsoever. Just thought about that hit from Mays on i can't think of his name from Houston.. that was vicious. really vicious. Let's hit like that.

Lestat
11-16-2012, 11:03 AM

it was exacerbated by the injury to Brady, Palmer's injury raised the issues of being hit low but Brady made them fly into action due to the outrage at one of the game's top players being out for the year on a hit that shouldn't have happened in theory.

Lestat
11-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Whatever, it's only 20 grand. Von Miller makes that in his sleep and I doubt it effects his play whatsoever. Just thought about that hit from Mays on i can't think of his name from Houston.. that was vicious. really vicious. Let's hit like that.

Schaub. he hit that mother so hard he knocked of part of his ear.
now that was vicious but it still shouldn't have been a fine.

Dedhed
11-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Lonestar thinks that being the vocal minority equates to superior intelligence. He clearly thinks he actually is the "Lone Star" on the OM opr anywhere else.

He's like those emo kids who don't understand the irony when they make fun of people who they say don't think for themselves.

LS doesn't think, he takes the temperature of the room and then picks up the least popular opinion and opines, thinking he must be special because he's the only one who gets it.

Pony Boy
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
A measly $21.000 is nothing to Von Miller, just wait till Obama gets finished taxing his rich ass

lonestar
11-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Lonestar thinks that being the vocal minority equates to superior intelligence. He clearly thinks he actually is the "Lone Star" on the OM opr anywhere else.

He's like those emo kids who don't understand the irony when they make fun of people who they say don't think for themselves.

LS doesn't think, he takes the temperature of the room and then picks up the least popular opinion and opines, thinking he must be special because he's the only one who gets it.

If you mean being logical opposed to emotional like a bunch of these "fans" are you are correct.

Because I can state my reasoning with out the pissing and moaning and all this'd but the the kiddies get it then I guess that make me superior.

Sorry if you do not get it and feel the need to play the EMO card.

Typical of those that failed to get their points across

I have said many time that I think it was not right but the rule is what it is.

Pissing and moaning about Goodell or his empolyees enforcing the rule as set down by the owners of the game is childish at best.

Should there have been a penalty on the OL but it was not called. Perhaps down the road there will be another rule about that.

Quoydogs
11-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Hey I just posted a thread on Inside the NFL. Can someone pop on there go to the 3.23 mark and tell me if that is what we are talking about ? Cause if so Von got screwed.

Action
11-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Hey I just posted a thread on Inside the NFL. Can someone pop on there go to the 3.23 mark and tell me if that is what we are talking about ? Cause if so Von got screwed.

No that was not the play...

oubronco
11-16-2012, 03:27 PM
$21,000 for tackling his foot seems a little extreme

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-16-2012, 03:32 PM
lets just go with touch football no more tackle someone might get hurt.
maybe sarcasticball

Kaylore
11-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Bet Von wins his appeal

Has anyone ever won an appeal? Especially when you're appealing to the guy who gave it to you? That is such a stupid system...

Requiem
11-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Lonestar is better than us all, because he makes hundreds of thousands off investments while we are all sitting here eating our Wendy's chili and fries.

baja
11-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Has anyone ever won an appeal? Especially when you're appealing to the guy who gave it to you? That is such a stupid system...

Thought they changed that.

lonestar
11-16-2012, 04:05 PM

IIRC a couple have had the money fine reduced.
You are correct about about the appeal function bet that gets changed sooner than the next CBA.
Guessing the owners are not happy having their money ulitmately going to NFL charities, since they do not get a charitable deduction for it.