PDA

View Full Version : What Can We Do Better?

Doggcow
11-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Our team is playing at an elite level in all 3 phases of the game. There are more than enough threads devoted to Holiday, Miller, Woody, and how baller we've been. So, where could we improve?

I'll start:

Problem: Ball Control. The Fumbling could be the epic ****ups that cost us against real contenders.

Solution: I'm not entirely sure. I don't know if Hillman is ready, or if McGahee needs to just do more curls. I would not be upset with going to an almost exclusively passing offense, and getting Hillman in space on gimmicky pass plays that get him in space. McGahee just isn't doing a good job when it comes to hits from all angles, he's fumbling from the hits behind him, that he doesn't see coming.

bronco militia
11-15-2012, 02:02 PM
the Broncos need to play better against winning teams.....see you week 13

Action
11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Running the ball...we are 26th in the league averaging 3.8 ypc.

We need to cover TEs better obviously. And the defense can still get much better... Sunday was the type of game they should have held Carolina to 7 - 10 points. But the offense didn't do them any favors going 3 and out again and again.

Need to stop let teams converting on down and long situations. Carolina converted on 2nd and 20 on 1 throw... that can't happen.

crowebomber
11-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Covering the tight end. I think DJ is better than Mays or Brooking at dropping back in coverage so we might see some improvement there, but good pass-catching TEs seem to have great games against us.

Definitely agree on the fumbles. Thomas holds it like a loaf of bread when he starts to motor down field

NFLBRONCO
11-15-2012, 02:13 PM
the Broncos need to play better against winning teams.....see you week 13

Yep #1 problem

#2 problem Running and fumbling the rock

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Covering the tight end. I think DJ is better than Mays or Brooking at dropping back in coverage so we might see some improvement there, but good pass-catching TEs seem to have great games against us.

Definitely agree on the fumbles. Thomas holds it like a loaf of bread when he starts to motor down field

This.

Covering TEs is the weak link

Action
11-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Thomas fumbles have been highly over exaggerated. Not to say he isn't responsible, but those were just all freak plays (not like McGahee's fumbles).

Thomas has 3 fumbles on the year...

Fumble 1 - many people don't remember, but this fumble was when the game was over and the clock was 0:00 and everyone was just throwing laterals... he happened to throw the last lateral and the other team got it. Game over. Meaningless.

Fumble 2 - fumbled the ball trying to switch hands...

Fumble 3 - caught the ball and got tackled a millisecond later before he could fully secure the ball.

Thomas obviously hasn't fumbled since then. Manning has just as many fumbles as Thomas.

pricejj
11-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Holy crap. I just devoted 20 minutes to crafting a thread just like this one.

Hillman is the only dude that worries me. I know he has it in him. He just has to come out of his shell, and get electric.

Also, would like to see DJ come in and shut down TE's, but not at the expense of our #2 overall Running Defense.

Action
11-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Hillman is thinking too much and not playing fast... he knows it and just said it this week.

pricejj
11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Hillman is thinking too much and not playing fast... he knows it and just said it this week.

Where did you see that?

Seriously, if the 21 year-old gets rolling...I will camp outside the SuperDome until February.

Action
11-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Where did you see that?

Seriously, if the 21 year-old gets rolling...I will camp outside the SuperDome until February.

Some interview quote... he said something about needing to play faster or something along those lines...

But you can see it in the game... the most decisive run he had was when he ran for the TD. Following his blockers, waited for the hole to open and hit it.

The offensive line isn't doing him any favors though in opening up holes.

yakyakyuk
11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
1) Turnovers are clearly top issue - primarily fumbles. We have not had a single game without a turnover.

2) Consistent production from our run game. Maybe Kuper helps.

**Depth at RB is a factor - cant really bench WM (which after 5 fumbles should be considered) any injury to WM and major problem.

3) LB Play - primarily pass coverage. Maybe DJ helps. We have not been tested by strong run game since NE torched us.

** we need a MLB that is smart (like Brookings) but fast (like Trevathan) and has passion (Mays?).

4) Too many drops from WR/TE - every week we have at least one big drop.

DENVERDUI55
11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
My biggest concern is shooting self in foot with own mistakes. I would like to add vet rb like Hightower, Addai or Grant. I'm worried a little about that position.

Atwater His Ass
11-15-2012, 02:55 PM
The problem with DJ helping in coverage, is that well, he's not very good at it. For a guy with his quickness and athletic ability that was one time projected as a S in the NFL, you'd think he could shut down TE's. But he can't.

Biggest issue for me with this team currently is the running game. We've been completely shut down the last 2 weeks against inferior opponents. Not being able to convert 3rd and 1's by lining up and smashing it home really gets to me.

Atwater His Ass
11-15-2012, 02:56 PM
The problem with DJ helping in coverage, is that well, he's not very good at it. For a guy with his quickness and athletic ability that was one time projected as a S in the NFL, you'd think he could shut down TE's. But he can't.

Biggest issue for me with this team currently is the running game. We've been completely shut down the last 2 weeks against inferior opponents. Not being able to convert 3rd and 1's by lining up and smashing it home really gets to me.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-15-2012, 03:00 PM

i guarnatee you if we spread the field on third and one and ran it we'd have more success than trying to play smashmouth. I dont know why we continue to bunch the formation and show our hand.

baja
11-15-2012, 03:02 PM
If we are talking about concerns, mine would some key injury but I didn't say that

Chris
11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned that we need to start better on O. It always takes a few series for the O to get in gear. I'd love to see us move the ball from the get go Shanahan style. Remember how good we were to start games in the SB era? That. It changes the dynamic of the game early and reduces the chances of any **** ups making us lose to teams we should beat.

Atwater His Ass
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
i guarnatee you if we spread the field on third and one and ran it we'd have more success than trying to play smashmouth. I dont know why we continue to bunch the formation and show our hand.

Doesn't really matter to me. A team, wether showing their hand or not, should by far and large be able to lineup and smash out a 3rd and short.

I don't mind trying somethign different, obviously, but the fact is we shouldn't have to.

maher_tyler
11-15-2012, 06:09 PM
McGahee fumbling problem. Below average run game. Slow starts. Not being able to deliver the knockout punch. We gave Carolina every chance to get back into the game last week. If we can cut the turnovers, get more production from Hillman in the run game and get some points early in games I don't see us losing many if any more games this year.

Bronco Boy
11-15-2012, 06:54 PM
We have a top 5 offense, and the #2 pass offense in the league. We don't need to worry about the run game.

baja
11-15-2012, 06:59 PM
We have a top 5 offense, and the #2 pass offense in the league. We don't need to worry about the run game.

Oh yes we do.

Bronco Boy
11-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Oh yes we do.

The 2011 Giants disagree.

baja
11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
The 2011 Giants disagree.

Ask Peyton Manning if he needs a running game.

NFLBRONCO
11-15-2012, 08:15 PM

If we don't get it going teams will start hitting Manning alot more something we don't want with older QB. Less reps on his arm too.

Mogulseeker
11-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Our TE play on defense leaves a lot to be desired.

ScottXray
11-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Biggest worry for me is the poor run game. We have been trending downward over the last 3 games and McGahees fumbles aren't helping. Secure the rock. And try some toss-sweeps to get the youngun to the outside, especially to the right side, as Clady doesn't do well on sweeps. Beadles is doing well on those types of plays.

Kuper will help when back, but we need to punch over those 3rd and shorts, so put Green in on Two TE sets when its a run called.

Play action more on 1st down also would help.

Like others I'd like to see a complete game without turning it over.

This week would be a good time to start.

Mogulseeker
11-15-2012, 08:55 PM
The Pats have killer TEs, and I don't see us getting past the Pats until we get a mike that can cover.

baja
11-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Biggest worry for me is the poor run game. We have been trending downward over the last 3 games and McGahees fumbles aren't helping. Secure the rock. And try some toss-sweeps to get the youngun to the outside, especially to the right side, as Clady doesn't do well on sweeps. Beadles is doing well on those types of plays.

Kuper will help when back, but we need to punch over those 3rd and shorts, so put Green in on Two TE sets when its a run called.

Play action more on 1st down also would help.

Like others I'd like to see a complete game without turning it over.

This week would be a good time to start.

I too am concerned about the running game.

I may be the only guy on this board that would like to see KM get another shot.

Bronco Boy
11-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Ask Peyton Manning if he needs a running game.

Not sure how this is a good argument. How can I ask him? Even if I did have him on speed dial, obviously the diplomatic answer is of course every team needs a running game. The reality, however, is that a good D and a good passing offense is what's needed to win Super Bowls. Having a good run game, while nice, really doesn't have much effect on long term success deep into the playoffs.

baja
11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Not sure how this is a good argument. How can I ask him? Even if I did have him on speed dial, obviously the diplomatic answer is of course every team needs a running game. The reality, however, is that a good D and a good passing offense is what's needed to win Super Bowls. Having a good run game, while nice, really doesn't have much effect on long term success deep into the playoffs.

OK listen to what he says here about how important the running game is;

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108743

baja
11-15-2012, 09:33 PM
What is the number one coach speak line?

'"You have to be able to run the football to win in this league"

Bronco Boy
11-15-2012, 09:36 PM
OK listen to what he says here about how important the running game is;

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108743

He says you need 3 or 4 yard runs to set up the play action. Pretty sure we are averaging somewhere around that. So why do we need to do it better?

Bronco Boy
11-15-2012, 09:39 PM
What is the number one coach speak line?

'"You have to be able to run the football to win in this league"

That's a cool story, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The undefeated Patriots team of 2007 didn't even have a top 10 run offense I don't believe.

baja
11-15-2012, 09:40 PM
He says you need 3 or 4 yard runs to set up the play action. Pretty sure we are averaging somewhere around that. So why do we need to do it better?

You said we didn't need a running game.

I said we do and so did Manning

4 yards a carry is enough of a running game.

Bronco Boy
11-15-2012, 09:42 PM
You said we didn't need a running game.

I said we do and so did Manning

4 yards a carry is enough of a running game.

So we are at 3.8 now. You're saying we need to get 0.2 better? Is this really your argument???

baja
11-15-2012, 09:45 PM
So we are at 3.8 now. You're saying we need to get 0.2 better? Is this really your argument???

No the opponent needs to know we have the ability to run the football because if they don't they will see us as one demential and rush Manning every play.

Play action, the forte of Manning, will not work if we do not have the thread of a running game.

I thought everyone knew this.

There really isn't anything more to say about this

Bronco Boy
11-15-2012, 09:46 PM
No the opponent needs to know we have the ability to run the football because if they don't they will see us as one demential and rush Manning every play.

I thought everyone knew this.

We have the ability to run at 3.8 a clip which is just about good enough according to you. Giants only ran at 3.5 clip last year and managed to have a pretty successful season.

ZONA
11-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Well the coaches and Manning will say we can do EVERYTHING a little better, lol

Things are going good now, we have definitely improved. But I hope the team continues to improve in all areas.

We haven't blocked a punt yet so I'd like to see that :strong:

pricejj
11-15-2012, 10:04 PM
That's a cool story, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The undefeated Patriots team of 2007 didn't even have a top 10 run offense I don't believe.

The Patriots averaged 4.1 ypc in 2007.

Yes, I do think this team needs to be running at a 4.0 ypc clip to win the SuperBowl. It's a good goal, and a healthy number. A successful running game would take a lot of pressure off of Manning.

pricejj
11-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Well the coaches and Manning will say we can do EVERYTHING a little better, lol

Things are going good now, we have definitely improved. But I hope the team continues to improve in all areas.

We haven't blocked a punt yet so I'd like to see that :strong:

We do, however, lead the league in punt coverage.

The good news just doesn't stop. ;D

Inkana7
11-15-2012, 10:08 PM

Yes, I do think this team needs to be running at a 4.0 ypc clip to win the SuperBowl. It's a good goal, and a healthy number. A successful running game would take a lot of pressure off of Manning.

Luckily, McGahee is averaging over 4ypc.

DBroncos4life
11-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Archie Manning said the reason for Peyton's success is because of our running game. This was in the new SI magazine so I can't prove it. ;D
I think the running game clearly can improve but, I don't think it's to a level where it is not effective.

baja
11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
......and that is why we run on first down

Bronco Boy
11-16-2012, 06:26 AM

You may think it, but it's not true. 3.5 is plenty. You get 3.5 on every run and the team would never need to punt.

rmsanger
11-16-2012, 07:04 AM
I think we know our D weaknesses vs. the top teams. Against the Pats we must cover two healthy TEs (Gronk/Hern). Against the Texans & Ravens we must slow down their run game. The Steelers may have a good shot at us if Roth, Troy, and Mende are all healthy.

On offense we need a more consistent running game that picks up 1st downs in 3rd and short. We also need to sustain drives and score touchdowns early.