PDA

View Full Version : YOUR DENVER BRONCOS ARE NOW A TOP 5 DEFENSE - Edit: dropped to #6 after Bears played their SNF game

baja
11-11-2012, 07:08 PM
After nine games the Broncos are ranked #5

baja
11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Only #23 in points per game That needs to get better and should with the remaining schedule

baja
11-11-2012, 07:12 PM
We are the #3 ranked offense.

baja
11-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Can't find the special teams rankings.

mwill07
11-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Only #23 in points per game That needs to get better and should with the remaining schedule

I think you are sorting that wrong - we are 11th in points allowed per game, before today.

Agamemnon
11-11-2012, 07:14 PM

Looks like #10 to me.

Agamemnon
11-11-2012, 07:17 PM
By the way they are tied for #1 in yards allowed per play. That's pretty damn awesome.

I think JDR is as big a part of this team's improvement as Peyton Manning honestly.

UberBroncoMan
11-11-2012, 07:20 PM
By the way they are tied for #1 in yards allowed per play. That's pretty damn awesome.

I think JDR is as big a part of this team's improvement as Peyton Manning honestly.

Would be nice if he stayed after this season.

KevinJames
11-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Basically were the most complete team in the NFL. Top 5 Defense Top 5 Offense.

We lead the league in sacks with 31
Top 10 run defense
Top 10 pass defense

baja
11-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I think you are sorting that wrong - we are 11th in points allowed per game, before today.

Could be. I'll check

In the mean time we are #2 in points per game, 3 points behind NE.

baja
11-11-2012, 07:32 PM

Ya I was using the category with the arrow ascending worst to best

We are #10 in points allowed.

DBroncos4life
11-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Why does everyone think he is going to get a HC job so fast after his horrible showing with the Jags?

Peyton Manning said in the off season he didn't want to go somewhere with lots of change over and I remember them asking JDR about that and he said he had no plans on being a HC right away.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-11-2012, 07:42 PM

JDR probably stays but The clown teams are gonna try and raid our coaching staff after the year.

Mogulseeker
11-11-2012, 07:43 PM
JDR probably stays but The clown teams are gonna try and raid our coaching staff after the year.

I dont' think JDR would want to relocate again so soon.

Nwp-Apap
11-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Ya I was using the category with the arrow ascending worst to best

We are #10 in points allowed.

I believe we have the best points for points against ratio as well, correct?

Bronco Boy
11-11-2012, 07:49 PM

Why not? Doesn't his son graduate this year?

TonyR
11-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Cam Newton was put under duress, hit or sacked on 19 of his 45 dropbacks (42.2 pct) in Sunday's game. That's the highest single-game percentage and total for Newton this season, and the highest number of dropbacks under pressure the Broncos defense has forced in a game this season. Newton was sacked seven times, tied for fourth most in a game this season, and finished 1-of-9 for 8 yards and an interception when under duress.

The Panthers were 0-12 on 3rd down conversions today vs the Broncos. The only other team to go without a 3rd down conversion this season was the Jaguars (0-9 in Week 2 vs the Texans). The Panthers are the first team to go 0-12 or worse on 3rd down since the Bills went 0-12 against the Dolphins (Week 11 in 2011)

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321111029

Rocket 7
11-11-2012, 07:54 PM

And DJ comes back this week also.

Atwater His Ass
11-11-2012, 07:57 PM
I would love to see them work an extension for JDR now, before the season ends. Outside of Manning, he may be the best signing Elway brought in. Hopefully JDR will buy into riding along with Manning and trying to win Super Bowls as a DC for the next few seasons before considering another HC gig.

This team has something special in the making. Hopefully can keep the core around for a few years at least.

baja
11-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Broncos #3 in return yards

extralife
11-11-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't want to jinx it or anything, but we might just be the best team in the NFL. the pats are our achilles heel and the texans match up pretty well (in addition to, you know, beating us), but we've got just about everything going for us right now.

baja
11-11-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't want to jinx it or anything, but we might just be the best team in the NFL. the pats are our achilles heel and the texans match up pretty well (in addition to, you know, beating us), but we've got just about everything going for us right now.

The great news is we are getting noticeably better every week and have not reached our peak yet. Who knows how much better we can get.

We scored 36 points and the offense did not play all that well today.

This playing an away game in an early time zone against a pretty good defensive team.

SportinOne
11-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Let's not get carried away.. We are definitely a contender, but so are a lot of teams. This is far from a well oiled machine. If we plaid Atlanta, Houston, and New England the next three weeks i'm not sure we would win 2. Sounds like blasphemy, but i think it's the truth. We still need to:

Either run block more effectively on short yardage situations or stop calling runs in those situations when we are deep on our side of the field.
Stop fumbling
Stop dropping passes
Cut down on the bonehead plays (kickoff muffs, tripping on own feet)
Continue to learn and develop the no huddle offense

I will say this though. After a full season, a draft, free agency, and another full off season, we should be the favorite to win it all going into 2013.

SportinOne
11-11-2012, 08:32 PM
The great news is we are getting noticeably better every week and have not reached our peak yet. Who knows how much better we can get.

We scored 36 points and the offense did not play all that well today.

This playing an away game in an early time zone against a pretty good defensive team.

The team scored 36 but the offense scored 22. Still enough to win, but a poor showing.

baja
11-11-2012, 08:35 PM
The team scored 36 but the offense scored 22. Still enough to win, but a poor showing.

That was my point the team scored 36 and the O did not play well. In other words the D and STs stepped up, a sign of a complete team

bowtown
11-11-2012, 08:35 PM
JDR is great and I hope he stays, but make no mistake, Fox knows defense. This is his creation he's been building and if JDR leaves, he'll find another guy who can work with it.

RedskinBronco
11-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I had to hit the road so I missed the 2nd half, but I was listening on the panthers radio network and those guys were raving all 2nd half about the Broncos defense and the speed, a lot of "boy, these guys are fast" type comments.

It was also a Von Miller love fest.

I can't comment for the 2nd half, it sounded sloppy from an offensive perspective so this win is probably less impressive than the bengals W but it seems like the defense keeps getting better and better.

Take the W and move on, but it sounded like this wasn't as impressive a win. Probably the key takeaway is a good defense, but make no mistake this is the panthers who tend to self implode. Just keep building and eliminate the sloppy play...

Tombstone RJ
11-11-2012, 09:27 PM

the John Fox effect

baja
11-11-2012, 09:30 PM
the little known John Fox effect

FYP ;D

Tim
11-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Is there a team with a better pass rush than denver?

(Can't believe I just typed that after watching this team for the past 10 years.)

Bronco Yoda
11-11-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm going to be really mad if the Chargers make a play for JDR for HC next year.

baja
11-11-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm going to be really mad if the Chargers make a play for JDR for HC next year.

Maybe they will look up the coast and see Allen not doing so well and pass.

Gutless Drunk
11-11-2012, 09:51 PM
"I'll tell you who should get some Assistant Coach of the Year recognition: Denver defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio. His defense hasn't allowed more than 14 points in two of the past three games, sacked Cam Newton a season-high seven times and Cam's sacks and held the Panthers to eight three-and-outs. Nice."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20943597/week-10-judgements-jets-among-36-teams-with-no-chance-at-postseason

RedskinBronco
11-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Is there a team with a better pass rush than denver?

(Can't believe I just typed that after watching this team for the past 10 years.)

Nope, not from what I see around the league.

The Broncos are an elite team when they get a lead and know they can get aggressive and let their great pass rushers loose.

Very tough team to beat when playing with the lead.

Harvitz81
11-11-2012, 09:54 PM

Chargers will go after Andy Reid this offseason. Book it.

Lestat
11-11-2012, 11:29 PM
i can't wait to see this defense once DJ gets back on the field. Woodyard has been playing lights out but man, DJ will make a huge impact for us at the LB position.

lonestar
11-11-2012, 11:58 PM
And DJ comes back this week also.

and that means what?

just how do you think he will impact the defense?

lonestar
11-12-2012, 12:13 AM
i can't wait to see this defense once DJ gets back on the field. Woodyard has been playing lights out but man, DJ will make a huge impact for us at the LB position.

HOW?

The way our LBs have been playing who is he going to replace? Who are you going to take off the field to sub him in for?
Miller? Not happening..
Woodyard? Ditto
Brooking? no way..
Keep in mind that the unit has been very successful and has developed communication and unity - and DJ has been no part of that. I think that he's going to be a street veteran in the off season at the very best.
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/whither-the-lb-depth-problems-lard#comments

Seems to me I heard that when he comes back he is taking a hit in his paycheck, if they really thought he had something to offer other than depth they would not have ask him to re-do his contract for less money..

CHARLOTTE N.C. D.J. Williams will officially return Monday to the Broncos after the two sides recently agreed to a restructuring of his contract.

Williams, who had been a starting linebacker since the Broncos selected him with their first-round draft pick in 2004, had already lost nearly $3 million in salary this year as part of his penalty for serving two suspensions that prevented him from playing in the team's first nine games this year.

Given the considerable time he has missed Broncos coach John Fox decided not to have him participate in training camp or preseason games so he could instead give reps and playing time to others Williams is expected to use the first week or two getting back in playing shape.

Read more: Denver Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams to return to team Monday - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21973754/denver-broncos-linebacker-d-j-williams-return-team#ixzz2Bzg38w73

"Sorry Charlie Sunkist only wants Prime Tuna"..

DJ ain't all that..

Bacchus
11-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Let's not get carried away.. We are definitely a contender, but so are a lot of teams. This is far from a well oiled machine. If we plaid Atlanta, Houston, and New England the next three weeks i'm not sure we would win 2. Sounds like blasphemy, but i think it's the truth. We still need to:

If Denver had them at Mile High they would be favored over all three of them, even Houston.

Bacchus
11-12-2012, 01:33 AM

Yeah, I agree. It will take him two weeks or so to get in game shape but having him in the rotation will mean less playing time for Brookings and more depth in case of injury. win win

i4jelway7
11-12-2012, 02:17 AM
DJ is a HUGE upgrade over Brooking... back to the bench for Brooking

kent156
11-12-2012, 03:52 AM
tightends are still a problem maybe DJ can solve that

RedskinBronco
11-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Just get to 12-4. I am looking at vs. TB or @Bal as one of the the losses.

Garcia Bronco
11-12-2012, 06:40 AM
We're the number 6 defense.

Garcia Bronco
11-12-2012, 06:42 AM

Except WW is a better WLB.

Garcia Bronco
11-12-2012, 06:43 AM
tightends are still a problem maybe DJ can solve that

Ahhh no.

BroncoInferno
11-12-2012, 06:54 AM
For those concerned about JDR leaving after this season, there is an easy remedy for that: a long playoff run. Teams filling vacancies typically don't have the patience to wait out the assistants on teams that make deep playoff runs.

baja
11-12-2012, 07:00 AM
We're the number 6 defense.

Yep looks like the Bears playing in the rain on a bad field last night pushed ahead of the broncos dropping us to #6.

We are still #3 on offense

socalorado
11-12-2012, 07:05 AM
DEN needs to throw some coin at JDR and they need to do it now.
The whole merry go round of D-coordinators needs to finally stop.
Getting DJ back is a non issue. He will ride the bench.
He cant play MLB to save his life, and WW has taken his position.
Wouldnt suprise me if the same happens with Tony Carter, and Porter
sits with DJ.
Hey, quality depth is always a good thing.

baja
11-12-2012, 07:08 AM
DEN needs to throw some coin at JDR and they need to do it now.
The whole merry go round of D-coordinators needs to finally stop.
Getting DJ back is a non issue. He will ride the bench.
He cant play MLB to save his life, and WW has taken his position.
Wouldnt suprise me if the same happens with Tony Carter, and Porter
sits with DJ.
Hey, quality depth is always a good thing.

Don't kid yourself JDR will find a way to use DJ's talent. He will play plenty

v2micca
11-12-2012, 07:11 AM

DJ will get his reps. But it may happen later rather than sooner. He has 9 weeks worth of rust to knock off first. It may take a few weeks of practice before he is back into game shape. Would not surprise me to see him listed as inactive against the Chargers.

TheChamp24
11-12-2012, 07:12 AM
I don't think Del Rio will so suddenly get a head coaching gig. He just might want to stay for a little bit if the Broncos get a run going.
I do think some team may approach McCoy about a gig.

Although, there may be a ton of opening positions this offseason.
Kansas City
San Diego
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Dallas
Jets

baja
11-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Allen may be on the hot seat with the Raiders too after yesterdays embarrassing loss and horrible defensive performance.

DENVERDUI55
11-12-2012, 07:25 AM

Top 10 run defense
Top 10 pass defense

Impressive considering the elite Qbs we have played.

bpc
11-12-2012, 07:33 AM
There is a lot of speculation coming from the USC side that Lane Kiffin will be fired after the season. JDR is the apparent front runner for the position should it come available. He has some strong ties with the AD. It sucks because I feel like he's doing a great job but I think he's good as gone unless SC finds a way to go undefeated the rest of the way and knock off Oregon to win the Pac 12 in the P12 championship game.

In regards to our team, I feel pretty strong about it. You can see a lot of the same characteristics that the 97' team had... minus one Terrell Davis. That's a huge difference. We aren't there in the run game and as solid as McGahee has been 90% of the time, he is prone to some really dumb plays like his two fumbles yesterday. It only takes one of those to end a campaign in the playoffs. I wish we also had a little more depth at WR/DT. I'm skeptical that Stokley will stay healthy the whole year. Otherwise, I feel we put a lot of pressure on teams having to stop us on offense, defense, and special teams. The defense and ST's are explosive, giving Manning additional firepower and points on the board. That was a signature of our championship teams with Darrien Gordon and others. Fingers crossed that we can run the table and host a few playoff games. Might be the difference there. That Baltimore game in December will have a lot riding on it. It's fun to be able to talk about this stuff again.

v2micca
11-12-2012, 07:36 AM
I don't think Del Rio will so suddenly get a head coaching gig. He just might want to stay for a little bit if the Broncos get a run going.

Kansas City
San Diego
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Dallas
Jets

I was glancing over this thread and for a second I thought you were listing our remaining schedule. Then I read your post. My god, if they can keep their focus our D is going to seriously roll some teams down the stretch.

CEH
11-12-2012, 07:37 AM
I bet Elway is as happy with the play of the defense and ST as he is with Manning. He wanted to restore the defense to Denver and looks like he's on the way to building the exact team he wants here in Denver

Crushaholic
11-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Our defense is playing well, and Brooking may be a good reason why. I wouldn't change anything, as long as it's working....

Mediator12
11-12-2012, 10:24 AM
It is amazing how solid a defense can be with a solid DL and a real pass rush. Give JDR and Fox a ton of credit for putting it all together and getting the young guys some swagger and confidence on defense.

However, they finally have players who can win the one on one battles up front, control the running game, and rush the passer. That is the formula for solid defense at this level. Add in the fact that some of the young CB's have stepped it up in coverage and that the safeties actually did not get exposed the last 3 games as much as they did early and this defense is finally, finally getting the Job done.

Players that can execute makes a coach look like a genius, more often than the coach actually being a genius on defense. Offense is truly more scheme oriented than defense in this league, because they dictate the matchups. Defense is still about players who can win the matchup battles no matter what scheme they play against. Look at the games we lost and the schemes we played against defensively. NE, ATL, and HOU all play a tough matchup offense. They get you to play against their personnel and dictate what you can offer defensively to stop it. The great thing about playing them already, is that while they all had early success, we made excellent adjustments to their gameplans and beat the crap out of their matchups in the second half defensively in all those games.

In short, this team is learning how to be a dominant defense as they gained experience against some great offenses early. Now, the only great offense they will face is BAL who is wildly inconsistent. I think they will be prepared to deal with all that offense has to handle this time because they will have a ton of film on them and they will not get to implement anything radically new by that time of the season.

I am so FREAKIN happy that they have the right players finally to be a great defense. Now, they just have to go out their and be hungry every game and prove it :D

lonestar
11-12-2012, 10:34 AM

What is it that y'all do not get. Dj had to renegioatate his contract to lower his money in order to come back.

Does that sound remotely like they value his value? That they plan to start him in a defense he has had zero time playing in over the last ten weeks?

It would be a slap in the face to everyone on the team, considering he brought this all on himself by being a dumb ass, to start him over the guys that got this defense into the top ten.

If he did not redo the contract he was not coming back. Period.

His participation level on the field depends solely on someone getting hurt. Or needing an breather.

He does not know the play book, has not practiced it, nor played it. MLB is a cerebral position unlike WLB. Lots of the success since mays was dropped, the improvement of the D is the direct result in Brookings making the right calls for the defense. Not his being a great athlete, replacing that would be a huge mistake.

John, John and JDR have went out of their way to bring in smart players, with no history of doing dumb things. DJ will not be on this team next year at least not as a starter and certainly not at 6 mil.

lonestar
11-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Since you obviously did not see the quotes in this post thought younshould read them again.

Time for your bromance with DJ to end.

HOW?

The way our LBs have been playing who is he going to replace? Who are you going to take off the field to sub him in for?
Miller? Not happening..
Woodyard? Ditto
Brooking? no way..
Keep in mind that the unit has been very successful and has developed communication and unity - and DJ has been no part of that. I think that he's going to be a street veteran in the off season at the very best.
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/whither-the-lb-depth-problems-lard#comments

Seems to me I heard that when he comes back he is taking a hit in his paycheck, if they really thought he had something to offer other than depth they would not have ask him to re-do his contract for less money..

CHARLOTTE N.C. D.J. Williams will officially return Monday to the Broncos after the two sides recently agreed to a restructuring of his contract.

Williams, who had been a starting linebacker since the Broncos selected him with their first-round draft pick in 2004, had already lost nearly $3 million in salary this year as part of his penalty for serving two suspensions that prevented him from playing in the team's first nine games this year.

Given the considerable time he has missed Broncos coach John Fox decided not to have him participate in training camp or preseason games so he could instead give reps and playing time to others Williams is expected to use the first week or two getting back in playing shape.

Read more: Denver Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams to return to team Monday - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21973754/denver-broncos-linebacker-d-j-williams-return-team#ixzz2Bzg38w73

"Sorry Charlie Sunkist only wants Prime Tuna"..

DJ ain't all that..

lonestar
11-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Our defense is playing well, and Brooking may be a good reason why. I wouldn't change anything, as long as it's working....

Amen Brother. Someone else gets it.

Now if Brooking had DJs athleticism his name would be a young Urlacher.

But alas Brookings is doing it with Jedi Tricks making the right calls for the font seven.

DJ is not smart enough as proven years ago to do that. Especially since he has not stepped a foot on the field in this Scheme. He is at least ten weeks behind the curve.

lonestar
11-12-2012, 10:50 AM
It is amazing how solid a defense can be with a solid DL and a real pass rush. Give JDR and Fox a ton of credit for putting it all together and getting the young guys some swagger and confidence on defense.

However, they finally have players who can win the one on one battles up front, control the running game, and rush the passer. That is the formula for solid defense at this level. Add in the fact that some of the young CB's have stepped it up in coverage and that the safeties actually did not get exposed the last 3 games as much as they did early and this defense is finally, finally getting the Job done.

Players that can execute makes a coach look like a genius, more often than the coach actually being a genius on defense. Offense is truly more scheme oriented than defense in this league, because they dictate the matchups. Defense is still about players who can win the matchup battles no matter what scheme they play against. Look at the games we lost and the schemes we played against defensively. NE, ATL, and HOU all play a tough matchup offense. They get you to play against their personnel and dictate what you can offer defensively to stop it. The great thing about playing them already, is that while they all had early success, we made excellent adjustments to their gameplans and beat the crap out of their matchups in the second half defensively in all those games.

In short, this team is learning how to be a dominant defense as they gained experience against some great offenses early. Now, the only great offense they will face is BAL who is wildly inconsistent. I think they will be prepared to deal with all that offense has to handle this time because they will have a ton of film on them and they will not get to implement anything radically new by that time of the season.

I am so FREAKIN happy that they have the right players finally to be a great defense. Now, they just have to go out their and be hungry every game and prove it :D

Outstanding post.

Let's pray for no more injuries and we have a great off season picking up more smart talent.

mwill07
11-12-2012, 10:51 AM
by my reckoning, we are the #2 run D (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/opp.htm#rushing::7), allowing 3.5 ypc.

wow.

Anikai
11-12-2012, 11:53 AM
well they're #1 in my heart

socalorado
11-12-2012, 12:01 PM
What is it that y'all do not get. Dj had to renegioatate his contract to lower his money in order to come back.

Does that sound remotely like they value his value? That they plan to start him in a defense he has had zero time playing in over the last ten weeks?

It would be a slap in the face to everyone on the team, considering he brought this all on himself by being a dumb ass, to start him over the guys that got this defense into the top ten.

If he did not redo the contract he was not coming back. Period.

His participation level on the field depends solely on someone getting hurt. Or needing an breather.

He does not know the play book, has not practiced it, nor played it. MLB is a cerebral position unlike WLB. Lots of the success since mays was dropped, the improvement of the D is the direct result in Brookings making the right calls for the defense. Not his being a great athlete, replacing that would be a huge mistake.

John, John and JDR have went out of their way to bring in smart players, with no history of doing dumb things. DJ will not be on this team next year at least not as a starter and certainly not at 6 mil.

I think the bromance with DJ is coming to an end in DEN.
So who do you think DEN should target in the draft and in FA that would make them even better on defense specifically.

ZONA
11-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Top 10 run defense
Top 10 pass defense

I'm starting to get wood. Those are Superbowl winner type of numbers.

ZONA
11-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Can we at least get SOME of the fact right here regarding DJ? If some of you don't think he can return and start fine, if some of you don't want him to return and start fine. But don't throw up stupid crap on this board that he doesn't know the playbook. He was here in camp and OTA's. He's been allowed to work with staff the past several weeks. He's not exactly a rookie who doesn't know the NFL speed. I'm fine if you don't want him or don't like him but don't be throwing straight up lies that he doesn't know the playbook.

baja
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
In JDR I trust.

However he choses to use DJ is fine with me.

mwill07
11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Can we at least get SOME of the fact right here regarding DJ? If some of you don't think he can return and start fine, if some of you don't want him to return and start fine. But don't throw up stupid crap on this board that he doesn't know the playbook. He was here in camp and OTA's. He's been allowed to work with staff the past several weeks. He's not exactly a rookie who doesn't know the NFL speed. I'm fine if you don't want him or don't like him but don't be throwing straight up lies that he doesn't know the playbook.

we all know he knows the playbook. The entire twitter world is aware of that.

*WARHORSE*
11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
So who do you think DEN should target in the draft and in FA that would make them even better on defense specifically.

MANTI !!!!!!

DBroncos4life
11-12-2012, 12:32 PM
In JDR I trust.

However he choses to use DJ is fine with me.

He will be in there rushing the passer when he is back. He is our best rushing LB not named Miller. Woodyard's torrid sack pace is falling off which is something I expected given this is a career year so far for sacks.

socalorado
11-12-2012, 12:43 PM
MANTI !!!!!!

So how high of a pick will it take to get him?
Hes the guy i think DEN should target, but is it feasible to get him?
Top 5?

Tombstone RJ
11-12-2012, 12:49 PM
If Elway really wants to impress the fan base, then make the draft count! Looks like he did good on this last draft, the wild card being Twilight. Excellent scouting and then listening to the scouts (and drafting accordingly) is what will make Elway a great GM. I doubt the Broncos will have any shot at Manti, so what they have to figure out is what great young ILB can they draft in the first 3 rounds, not named Manti?

pricejj
11-12-2012, 01:25 PM

RB: 1st priority - FA1
Primary need going into the offseason is probably an explosive, durable Running Back, who can contribute immediately. I would scour the FA market, but wouldn't spend more than $2M per year on one, because we could just draft a gamebreaker in the 1st round if necessary. McGahee needs help, and Hillman hasn't proven anything yet.

DT: 2nd priority - FA2
I know Vickerson is coming off a 2 sack game...but up to this point, the only DT with any sacks was Wolfe. If there is an upgrade in the FA market, we have to make a play.

MLB: 3rd priority - 1st round draft pick
I have Ogletree from Georgia penciled in as our 1st round draft pick, even though he doesn't play on a very good Defense. Brooking is on his last legs, and DJ is no MLB.

Slot WR: 4th priority - FA3
Would be nice to find another Stokley-type in the FA market, or later in the draft..just worried about Old Man Stokes longevity. We have nothing behind him on the depth chart. Drafting somebody like Austin Collie (4th round)would be another way to address the issue.

CB: 5th priority - 2nd round draft pick
Porter is probably gone next year. It would be wise to spend a 2nd round draft pick to replace him on the depth chart behind Tony Carter. Keep Harris in the slot.

SS: 6th priority - 3rd round draft pick
Mike Adams hasn't been terribly effective against TE's this year. I think Q. Carter's days are done after microfracture. Probably a good idea to draft another 3rd round SS to compete with Adams.

pricejj
11-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Those are the only 6 weaknesses that could be upgraded in the offseason, that I see on this team right now. We need to resign our own Free Agents too.

Other than that, the Denver Broncos are loaded for bear. 2012 and possibly 2013 could be the closest that Denver comes to the Superbowl in the next decade or more. It's GO TIME fellers.

lonestar
11-12-2012, 05:01 PM

I really have not not follow college ball since my daughter played VB in HS and in college. Just no time for it.

Now that I'm retired I really thought I could find the time. Ahahahahahahaha.

Busier now than ever.

So as to who the players are I just do not know.

The depth and starter areas we need help at. ( subject to existing players stepping up yet this year ).

MLB of course I said that last year also. Need a semi stud here.. A Smart one.

FS. Although carter might be that guy. But bringing on another for depth would be good.

OT maybe the top pick because I do not think Clady will get resigned as he will want to much for a position that has relevance than it did ten years ago. Clady will be tagged. Until rookie can step in.

OG backup as well as OC combo guy would be great. Our this years staters are only going to get better with the offseason workouts and conditioning.

RB as a backup up to Mc Gahee as he has a few years left.

CB as backups.

Maybe a decent WR but not as a rookie. Got to find one that has been a player for a couple of years. That way you weed out the morons like Marshall, the kid from Dallas that beat his grandmother. You see that they can play in the BIGs and if they are the typical head case that WRs normally are.

I'll take any decent WR that can make the catch consistently. Rod and Eddie come to mind. I do not care if they are super fast because the "take it to the house" happens so rarely it is irrelevant. Decker and DT speed is good enough for me.

Depending on Juilius at TE how much he grows into the spot maybe another TE.

I think we have all the LB talent we need as backups and WW, VM are not going anywhere.

I'll let the gurus like Kaylore filter out the college studs.

cutthemdown
11-12-2012, 05:04 PM
On DJ I say don't let him play until someone gets dinged. If Woodyard gets hurt then let him play etc etc. Otherwise he should ride the pine.

lonestar
11-12-2012, 05:11 PM

No lies. Unless your playing your not learning. Trying to learn the play book without being on the field is not impossible but very unlikely for DJ who is not close to being Mensa material.

It is also KNOWING what the guys can do, in front of you and on either side. He flat does not have the experience in that area.

He has not been remotely close enough to have a feel for what has happened on the field.

Look I realize you believe that he is a stud because he led the team several years in tackles. But that means squat now in yet another scheme.

And he led them as a WLB there is no way that he is going get that spot. Not the way WW is playing. He is not going take Millers spot either so that means he has to be smart enough to beat out Brookings.

That is not going to happen either he is to dumb to make the calls on Defense for the front seven. For that matter have a clue on how to beat out Brookings.

Sorry your woody is showing again.

Do you really think the team would have told him to come back he would have to take a reduction in the remainder of his contract if they thought he was the MAN?

They plan on him as a backup, a spare part on the shelf. Get used to it.

lonestar
11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
we all know he knows the playbook. The entire twitter world is aware of that.

All we know is he looked at it at least once before being a total dumb ass AGAIN.

comoose00
11-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that JDR was just a hc for the last 8 season. Maybe he doesnt have to go back. If you talk to jaguar fans it doesn't seem that he really wanted to be a HC, especially at the end. All he has to do is worry about one side of the ball and it is well known he loves him some defense. I think we get him through next year. I also agree with the comments of throw more money at him he deserves it. There are people that where head coaches that never do it again. Wade Phillips and Dick Lebeau anyone?

Punisher
11-12-2012, 06:06 PM
http://www.juanelway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Von-Miller-Does-Superman-Sack-Dance.gif

errand
11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
That was my point the team scored 36 and the O did not play well. In other words the D and STs stepped up, a sign of a complete team

I know right? Like it matters which Broncos score the TD's?

20% of the TD's scored by the Bears during Lovie's tenure have been by special teams and defense......

OrangeSe7en
11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that JDR was just a hc for the last 8 season. Maybe he doesnt have to go back. If you talk to jaguar fans it doesn't seem that he really wanted to be a HC, especially at the end. All he has to do is worry about one side of the ball and it is well known he loves him some defense. I think we get him through next year. I also agree with the comments of throw more money at him he deserves it. There are people that where head coaches that never do it again. Wade Phillips and Dick Lebeau anyone?

Wade Phillips was a head coach at least 3 different times.

errand
11-12-2012, 06:10 PM
DJ will be sitting in rehab with Knowshon during the games.....

Punisher
11-12-2012, 06:14 PM
DJ will be sitting in rehab with Knowshon during the games.....

I disagree rotate him at the Mike with KB

broncobum6162
11-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Kansas City
San Diego
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Dallas
Jets

Yay! I hope he takes the first team out of town! (McClown that is...)

errand
11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
So how high of a pick will it take to get him?
Hes the guy i think DEN should target, but is it feasible to get him?
Top 5?

Hard to do when we're drafting 32nd....

errand
11-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I disagree rotate him at the Mike with KB

Just speculation on my part....you know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think what with our D playing very well + his alienating the team, coaching staff and FO with his off field bull**** = sitting on inactive while he gets back into "playing shape" (wink, wink)

Punisher
11-12-2012, 07:22 PM

I think what with our D playing very well + his alienating the team, coaching staff and FO with his off field bull**** = sitting on inactive while he gets back into "playing shape" (wink, wink)

Yea i never thought of D.J being a cancer. I would agree he made bad decisions

lonestar
11-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Yea i never thought of D.J being a cancer. I would agree he made bad decisions

He is liked in the locker room at least by a few old team mates. But how can you say that doing dumb thing time after time is not in best interest of the team.

Double DUIs then getting caught with dog piss during a drug test, suing the league and topping it off with the tweeting of the play book.

Those were all preventable actions pulled by a total dumb ass.. How else do you spell cancer.

Not John Ewlays kind of player.

DivineLegion
11-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Wade Phillips was a head coach at least 3 different times.

There are a lot of guys who give up on being head coaches. Guys like Dom Capers, Mike Nolan, Mike Tice, Mike Sherman, Wade Phillips, and Jim Hasslet. Some of these guys were tenured head coaches who either couldn't get another HC gig, and others just wanted to take a step back. I imagine Rex Ryan will be added to this list pretty soon.

Harvitz81
11-12-2012, 09:07 PM
On DJ I say don't let him play until someone gets dinged. If Woodyard gets hurt then let him play etc etc. Otherwise he should ride the pine.

I think DJ has a place in our nickel packages. He can cover better than Brooking, though Trevathan has been pretty decent there.

He will not take WW's place though as he has been balling all season.

strafen
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM

I agree. I think I've heard him saying he and his woife like it here, so we'll see.
As far a getting another HC gig, I doubt it. I think he'll be our DC for at least a couple more years...

DivineLegion
11-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Do they drug test coaches?

lonestar
11-12-2012, 11:26 PM
There are a lot of guys who give up on being head coaches. Guys like Dom Capers, Mike Nolan, Mike Tice, Mike Sherman, Wade Phillips, and Jim Hasslet. Some of these guys were tenured head coaches who either couldn't get another HC gig, and others just wanted to take a step back. I imagine Rex Ryan will be added to this list pretty soon.

Add Dick Lebua from PIT to that list James Jones from Philly was one of the best also..

After this season Mikey Tanahan might be on that list also..

Bacchus
11-12-2012, 11:33 PM

Really, when has Wade or any of these guys given up on being head coiaches? I bet everyone of them would be interested in any openings that came up. Wade has coached THREE different teams. When did he give up? After the last time he was fired!!

LongDongJohnson
11-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Is there a video out of there of Von destroying Cam on that 3rd and 2 run?

Lycan
11-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Didn't see this made into a gif anywhere so I made it myself.

First the hit:
http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/384280/von-pwnz-cam.gif

Afterwards Von maybe feels a little bad for the utter decimation that is being laid upon Cam so no dance, just this:
http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/384288/come-on-man.gif

DBroncos4life
11-13-2012, 07:02 AM

See the problem is it is broke. We have given up 47 catches 596 yards and 8 TDs to the other teams TE's. That is 12.6 yards per catch and damn near a TD per game. Before you start saying well Mays was the problem, over the last 4 games it's getting worse. 26 catches, 354 yards, and 5 TDs from TE's.

So yeah while our team is doing great, lets not count out DJ from helping improve the team.

baja
11-13-2012, 07:05 AM
See the problem is it is broke. We have given up 47 catches 596 yards and 8 TDs to the other teams TE's. That is 12.6 yards per catch and damn near a TD per game. Before you start saying well Mays was the problem, over the last 4 games it's getting worse. 26 catches, 354 yards, and 5 TDs from TE's.

So yeah while our team is doing great, lets not count out DJ from helping improve the team.

Good point

Mediator12
11-13-2012, 08:52 AM

Yep, this is an issue. However, they are playing to stop the big play and stop the run. That leaves the TE's and RB's as viable check downs on most patterns. It is not a great statistic, but its a hell of a lot more manageable than having the 3 WR's killing you. Part of this is scheme, part of it is the middle of the field is still weak in coverage.

Pick your poison. So far, the last 4 weeks this has worked DESPITE the great games by TE's. I'll take it. There is still only so much you can do to cover the pass, and if this is their weak point hallelujah!

TonyR
11-13-2012, 08:58 AM

^ Particularly alarming if we have to play NE in the playoffs.

baja
11-13-2012, 09:01 AM
the return of DJ will help shut down the TDs

DBroncos4life
11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Yep, this is an issue. However, they are playing to stop the big play and stop the run. That leaves the TE's and RB's as viable check downs on most patterns. It is not a great statistic, but its a hell of a lot more manageable than having the 3 WR's killing you. Part of this is scheme, part of it is the middle of the field is still weak in coverage.

Pick your poison. So far, the last 4 weeks this has worked DESPITE the great games by TE's. I'll take it. There is still only so much you can do to cover the pass, and if this is their weak point hallelujah!

You know more then me about this. I'm just thinking of ways DJ can improve the team. ;D

Mediator12
11-13-2012, 09:07 AM
the return of DJ will help shut down the TDs

I think that is a little presumptive. DJ has all the tools to cover, always has. What he has lacked is the mental acuity to apply it in games and at the right time situationally. He could have been as great as Al Wilson if he ever could read the game properly. As it is, he is just a good athlete who makes plays occasionally and not usually game changing ones.

baja
11-13-2012, 09:20 AM
I think that is a little presumptive. DJ has all the tools to cover, always has. What he has lacked is the mental acuity to apply it in games and at the right time situationally. He could have been as great as Al Wilson if he ever could read the game properly. As it is, he is just a good athlete who makes plays occasionally and not usually game changing ones.

Granted it speculative but I think JDR will help DJ tremendously with his mental game. I think this is JDR's strength scheming to the players strength while minimizing his weakness'

However he did fail with Joe Mays

Mediator12
11-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Granted it speculative but I think JDR will help DJ tremendously with his mental game. I think this is JDR's strength scheming to the players strength while minimizing his weakness'

However he did fail with Joe Mays

Coaching can only go so far in the NFL. The amount of preparation the coaches do for the players is unbelievable. However, the true skill of the NFL player is in applying that knowledge on gameday. DJ has had years of opportunities to become the player he could be. Derrick Johnson of the chiefs finally got it last year after also being a perennial underachiever, so it is possible, just not likely IMHO.

Bacchus
11-13-2012, 09:50 AM

When he was playing the coaches always said he was the best LB to cover TEs, on this team anyway.

Mediator12
11-13-2012, 10:06 AM
When he was playing the coaches always said he was the best LB to cover TEs, on this team anyway.

DJ, like Al Wilson has the speed to cover Slot WR's and the body and skills to not get boxed out by TE's. He can cover. The problem is, when he has to make reads and situational adjustments to his coverages. His slow decision making skills negate all the natural physical advantages he possesses. Plus, he lacks anticipation on the ball arrival with route stems. In short, he fails to consistently break on routes he should own with all that ability, especially in zone coverages.

I have seen him cover a slot WR all the way up the seam to the End zone 30 yards down field and not give up seperation. However, I have seen him miss a route combination in front of him and fail to take the right position to stop a First down and force the check down underneath and make the tackle short of the first down all too often. Situational awareness keeps him from being the stud Cover LB he should be.

baja
11-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Coaching can only go so far in the NFL. The amount of preparation the coaches do for the players is unbelievable. However, the true skill of the NFL player is in applying that knowledge on gameday. DJ has had years of opportunities to become the player he could be. Derrick Johnson of the chiefs finally got it last year after also being a perennial underachiever, so it is possible, just not likely IMHO.

We will see.

It's going to be interesting what JDR will do with DJ.

pricejj
11-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm not buying the analysis that DJ doesn't react fast enough and/or is too dumb to play football.

DJ was the Broncos best LB (by far) for several years before Von was drafted. I don't know that he is an effective 4-3 MLB, but with the 4-2 we are playing this year, he could be the difference maker that puts this Defense over the top.

After all, Defense wins championships. Without DJ, the 2012 Broncos have shown that they cannot, under any circumstances, effectively guard opposing TE's. Trevathan has shown flashes in the passing game, but has lapses too, and is not up to par (yet) in run support. Mike Adams has been manhandled against opposing TE's. Joe Mays was destroyed. Wes has been lit up too.

DJ is still the Broncos best cover LB, and very good against the run. If the AFCW, Tampa Bay, and the Ravens are gashing us in the run game, DJ can shore it up. Having DJ on the field in the playoffs against the likes of NE's hurry-up Offense is a no-brainer.

Glad he's back, and fully expect him to take most of the snaps from Brooking and Trevathan as the season wears on. Brooking, is a good leader, but is NOT a physically dominating force in the middle anymore. He is solid at times, and other times gets washed out. Trevathan is a 5th round draft pick, who has shown flashes, but needs time to develop.

The reality is, we are in SuperBowl mode NOW, with a very small window. The addition of DJ alongside WW makes this team better.

Agamemnon
11-13-2012, 11:13 AM
I really hope they don't try to force him into the starting lineup. He's not even an upgrade over Brooking in my opinion.

DENVERDUI55
11-13-2012, 11:18 AM

What about opposing teams WR's?

pricejj
11-13-2012, 11:25 AM
I really hope they don't try to force him into the starting lineup. He's not even an upgrade over Brooking in my opinion.

DJ won't be playing at all, unless he earns it. So don't worry.

DBroncos4life
11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
What about opposing teams WR's?

What does that have to do with LB's and DJ?

DBroncos4life
11-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Breakdown of TDs allowed this season by position:
WR receiving 6 TDs
RB rushing 4 TDs
RB receiving 2 TDs
TE receiving 8 TDs
QB rushing 1 TD
INT 1 TD

Depending on how you want to see it between the LBs/S in covering TEs and RBs out of the backfield we have giving up 10 total TDs.

Bacchus
11-13-2012, 11:57 AM

Williams had a very good season last year. When the defense was keeping Denver in the game so Tebow could take all the credit Williams was at the heart of it. I have been watching last years games and he was everywhere. He could learn a lot from Brooking that is for sure but DJ is better than DJ when he is game ready.

mhgaffney
11-13-2012, 11:59 AM
RB: 1st priority - FA1
Primary need going into the offseason is probably an explosive, durable Running Back, who can contribute immediately. I would scour the FA market, but wouldn't spend more than $2M per year on one, because we could just draft a gamebreaker in the 1st round if necessary. McGahee needs help, and Hillman hasn't proven anything yet.

DT: 2nd priority - FA2
I know Vickerson is coming off a 2 sack game...but up to this point, the only DT with any sacks was Wolfe. If there is an upgrade in the FA market, we have to make a play.

MLB: 3rd priority - 1st round draft pick
I have Ogletree from Georgia penciled in as our 1st round draft pick, even though he doesn't play on a very good Defense. Brooking is on his last legs, and DJ is no MLB.

Slot WR: 4th priority - FA3
Would be nice to find another Stokley-type in the FA market, or later in the draft..just worried about Old Man Stokes longevity. We have nothing behind him on the depth chart. Drafting somebody like Austin Collie (4th round)would be another way to address the issue.

CB: 5th priority - 2nd round draft pick
Porter is probably gone next year. It would be wise to spend a 2nd round draft pick to replace him on the depth chart behind Tony Carter. Keep Harris in the slot.

SS: 6th priority - 3rd round draft pick
Mike Adams hasn't been terribly effective against TE's this year. I think Q. Carter's days are done after microfracture. Probably a good idea to draft another 3rd round SS to compete with Adams.

You forgot the OL. We need another guard.

pricejj
11-13-2012, 12:13 PM
You forgot the OL. We need another guard.

Unless you think Kuper is done, we're set. ManRam and Blake are good enough backups for Manning's tenure.

If Kuper can't get healthy, then they are going to have to make a decision.