PDA

View Full Version : Panthers this week: The Return of Fox

Kaylore
11-08-2012, 10:34 AM
So there aren't any Panthers threads on this site for some reason and I'm starting one.

First is this is a dangerous team that has been in every game and just about won two road games against very competitive teams .

The biggest concern is their front. Most of their sacks have come without blitzing. They have a rookie linebacker who's playing mike filling in for Beason and has been putting on a clinic. I think their backside is their weakest area, and they aren't that bad in the secondary, they just aren't as good as their front.

It was mentioned during the excellent OM Podcast that this is someone we should roll. I would love to see the team do that for Fox and to shove it up their owner's throat for cornholling Fox. (FYI SoCal, This is a case of what you are mad at Bowlen about except unlike your issues with Bowlen, this actually happened: cheap owner. It was documented by the media and off the record people in the front office that Fox was forced out.)

I DON'T think it will be a blowout. I think it will be a close game. They have enough ballance on offense and one of those mobile QB's that have given us headaches that we should find ourselves with some frustrating third down conversions again. Their defense is active. Most of all, they are the second road team in a row and we're flying east again. I just think that's all going to play a factor.

I think we have a decent shot of winning, but Taco mentioned it would be demoralizing to lose and I wouldn't be demoralized. I would see it as splitting a road trip, which is a fairly good recipe for making the playoffs.

Thoughts?

BowlenBall
11-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Cam Newton is frightening... a scrambling quarterback could really pose problems for our defense, as Dumerville, Woodyard, and our 2nd and 3rd cornerbacks are exceptionally tiny for their positions.

TheReverend
11-08-2012, 10:45 AM
So there aren't any Panthers threads on this site for some reason and I'm starting one.

First is this is a dangerous team that has been in every game and just about won two road games against very competitive teams .

The biggest concern is their front. Most of their sacks have come without blitzing. They have a rookie linebacker who's playing mike filling in for Beason and has been putting on a clinic. I think their backside is their weakest area, and they aren't that bad in the secondary, they just aren't as good as their front.

It was mentioned during the excellent OM Podcast that this is someone we should roll. I would love to see the team do that for Fox and to shove it up their owner's throat for cornholling Fox. (FYI SoCal, This is a case of what you are mad at Bowlen about except unlike your issues with Bowlen, this actually happened: cheap owner. It was documented by the media and off the record people in the front office that Fox was forced out.)

I DON'T think it will be a blowout. I think it will be a close game. They have enough ballance on offense and one of those mobile QB's that have given us headaches that we should find ourselves with some frustrating third down conversions again. Their defense is active. Most of all, they are the second road team in a row and we're flying east again. I just think that's all going to play a factor.

I think we have a decent shot of winning, but Taco mentioned it would be demoralizing to lose and I wouldn't be demoralized. I would see it as splitting a road trip, which is a fairly good recipe for making the playoffs.

Thoughts?

They have FOUR DE's on the injury report along with their best starting DT.

4 of which DNP

2 of those are their best 2 DL.

CEH
11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Manning and Fox are going into this game for revenge. Fox for being hung out to dry by Richardson the year before the lockout and Richardson telling Manning during the lockout to butt out and stay with football. Manning I'm sure never forgets being slighted by anyone

Both will be primed for this gam e and If Denver gets up on CAR early they will crush the Panthers.

ludo21
11-08-2012, 10:55 AM
they have lost 6 games by 6 or less points.

They have been in most every game, just not able to finish them. I do agree it will be close, but it is not a game we should by any means lose. I would be disappointed for sure if they cant beat up on that defense.

Bmore Manning
11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Not too concerned about what Carolina brings to the table offensively. Olsen will pose a problem in the passing game, since we have struggled verse TE play this season, but otherwise it's all about discipline when going against Carolina and their rushing attack. The recipe for success is get a lead, force the game to be squarely on Cams shoulders. I'm in no way saying look past this game, but I don't see it being overly daunting to be quiet honest.

On a side note has anybody seen the guys over at Profootball Focus are very critical of Derek Wolfe?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/06/refo-broncos-bengals-week-10/

Broncomutt
11-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Being from Carolina I have watched several of their games.

The Broncos shoot themselves in the foot early, then come roaring back.

The Panthers play well most of the game, then shoot themselves in the foot at the end.

Panthers seem to have this "Here we go again :nono:" mentality when things go wrong. Also, while the Broncos have benched some non-performers (Mays, Moreno), Carolina seems content to field the same old trash. Not sure if that's due to injuries though.

I like our chances alot in this game, but hope the Broncos don't get overconfident.

Beantown Bronco
11-08-2012, 11:06 AM
They have a rookie linebacker who's playing mike filling in for Beason and has been putting on a clinic.

Luke Kuechly from BC......I really, really wish we had found a way to move up and grab him on draft day.

razorwire77
11-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Thoughts?
Any time Denver plays a running QB with a live arm, I get worried. Part of it is irrational fear stemming from when I had 40 yard-line seats to watch Vick go ape**** at Investco years back. The talent discrepancies between top tier and lower tier NFL teams isn't huge. A couple of turnovers or deep hitters can easily decide a game. I worry about Cam breaking contain out of the pocket and hitting a couple of big deep throws. He can be terrible for 12 throws, but always has that ability to truck a blitzing safety and launch a 65 yard pass off his back foot on third down. Best thing to do is force him to go through his progressions in the pocket and make the short and intermediate timing throws.

mwill07
11-08-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty psyched for this game. Tickets in hand!

Rohirrim
11-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Cam Newton 40 time: 4.58
Von Miller 40 time: 4.49

;D

broncocalijohn
11-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Cam can't put them over the top in the 4th quarter and Broncos are one of the best in the 4th quarter. Close game but our ever improved defense steps up and makes it a complete game for the Broncos. We win 28 to 20.

mwill07
11-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Cam Newton 40 time: 4.58
Von Miller 40 time: 4.49

;D

if I'm JDR, I'd consider having VM spy Cam. You see Cam drop back to pass, mirror him and when he breaks contain, stop him right there. See a read option: Von takes the QB.

Steve Smith is the Panthers most dangerous player - Champ will take care of him. Cam is the second - let Von negate him. That's it.

mwill07
11-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I think Fox and Manning have this team come out of the gate full-throttle. We take an early 14-0 lead, and then cruise to a 31-10 victory.

or, Panthers keep it close in 1st half - 10-7, or something like that. Fox/Del Rio/Manning find proper half-time adjustments and step on it. Final score: 31-10.

either way - I don't think this will be close.

*knocks on wood*

LRtagger
11-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Cam is inevitably going to drop a couple passes into our DBs hands - we need to hang onto them and take advantage of the mistakes. Cam starts to unravel when the opposition takes advantage of his mistakes as bad or worse than Cutler used to when he was here.

DBroncos4life
11-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Not too concerned about what Carolina brings to the table offensively. Olsen will pose a problem in the passing game, since we have struggled verse TE play this season, but otherwise it's all about discipline when going against Carolina and their rushing attack. The recipe for success is get a lead, force the game to be squarely on Cams shoulders. I'm in no way saying look past this game, but I don't see it being overly daunting to be quiet honest.

On a side note has anybody seen the guys over at Profootball Focus are very critical of Derek Wolfe?

Yeah I lost all belief in that site after the graded KCs OL as the second best in the NFL.

cmhargrove
11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Each game is a fun challenege for our developing Broncos. Indeed the scrambling Qb's with a "live arm" have given us big trouble in the past. I hope that our new defensive discipline and team play will help us handle the Panthers without any gimmicks.

That being said, this game is still 100% about Manning and our offense. If the offense comes out of the gates firing on all cylinders (or even most of them), this game should be in hand by halftime (up 10+ points).

It will be interesting to see how the injuries to Kuper, Tamme (elbow?), and DT (foot/ankle?) affect our production.

Kaylore
11-08-2012, 11:45 AM
They have FOUR DE's on the injury report along with their best starting DT.

4 of which DNP

2 of those are their best 2 DL.

Yes - Especially if Dwan Edwards cannot go it will bode well for Ramirez. That's a matchup that concerns me.

Bmore Manning
11-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah I lost all belief in that site after the graded KCs OL as the second best in the NFL.

On paper, based on last years performance and the acquisition of Eric Winston, they have a very good looking line.. ON PAPER. They are one of the top rushing teams in football, and with a real QB back there, their pass protection would certainly improve.

gyldenlove
11-08-2012, 12:14 PM
This game is really all about containing the run game - if we can keep Carolina from running the ball consistently we can force the game into the air which is where we are MUCH better than them in every aspect: Peyton Manning >> Cam Newton, Thomas, Decker > Steve Smith, Lafell, Denver Oline > Carolina Oline, Miller, Dumervil > Hardy, Johnson, Champ Bailey, Harris > Munnerlyn, Norman.

If this becomes a passing match, we will win it handily. We need to contain Newton early so they can not use planned QB rushes, we need to limit Stewart especially to keep them in 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations.

Our defense has to be in their toes and be ready for lose balls, Newton on average throws 1 pick and drops 1 ball on the ground per game with our pass rush we need to be ready to get those lose balls and errant throws.

On defense Hardy, Johnson and Dwan Edwards provide all the Panthers pass rush so we need our tackles to play well, and they have been all year and we need Koppen and the RBs to help out Ramirez on the inside if Edwards plays. Their secondary does not force a lot of turnovers, they have 5 INTs all year and no player stands out when it comes to defending the pass, so our WRs especially should be able to make plays pretty consistently. Against this 43 front I would expect to see a lot of 2 TE plays to try take advantage of their outside linebackers and safeties, all of which belong in the shallow end of the NFL talent pool.

Kaylore
11-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I thought this was funny on a Panther's message board:
http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/79590-ron-rivera-vs-peyton-manning/

against peyton manning, a 2 possession lead going into the fourth quarter may as well be a 1 point lead with 3 quarters left and no defense on the field.

DBroncos4life
11-08-2012, 12:19 PM
On paper, based on last years performance and the acquisition of Eric Winston, they have a very good looking line.. ON PAPER. They are one of the top rushing teams in football, and with a real QB back there, their pass protection would certainly improve.

Games aren't played on paper.

Bmore Manning
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Games aren't played on paper.

Agreed.. Just look at Dallas and Philadelphia. I just could understand why they would grade them so well, especially prior to the season.

DBroncos4life
11-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Agreed.. Just look at Dallas and Philadelphia. I just could understand why they would grade them so well, especially prior to the season.

From what I understand this grade came out a couple weeks ago.

Taco John
11-08-2012, 12:38 PM
I still think it would be a bit demoralizing to lose. Carolina is not a team we should lose to, even on the road. I obviously wouldn't consider our season over, but we're only one game up on San Diego right now, and they've got an easy schedule the rest of the way. For them to pull even with us the week before we play them again would put our lead in the division in serious jeopardy. (of course, they've got to beat Tampa Bay this week)

Bronco Rob
11-08-2012, 12:38 PM
The Fox/Manning revenge angle has been underplayed all week long. Do not think for one second this game was not circled on the calendar the day schedules were released.

Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/chang.jpg

:thumbs:

Cito Pelon
11-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Carolina might be a tougher test than Cincy, and Denver barely beat Cincy if you take out that 105 yd kickoff return TD. CAR has played well against some strong teams, just couldn't hang on to a lead at the end (Atlanta and CHI, Seattle also).

They're middle of the pack defensively, lower tier offensively, but seems to me they've played better than their record. Just f'd up badly late in games with offensive turnovers and game winning drives defensively. Denver will have to play well, can't get sloppy, lose the turnover battle, can't count on a 105 yd kickoff return for a TD again on the road.

broncocalijohn
11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Carolina might be a tougher test than Cincy, and Denver barely beat Cincy if you take out that 105 yd kickoff return TD. CAR has played well against some strong teams, just couldn't hang on to a lead at the end (Atlanta and CHI, Seattle also).

They're middle of the pack defensively, lower tier offensively, but seems to me they've played better than their record. Just f'd up badly late in games with offensive turnovers and game winning drives defensively. Denver will have to play well, can't get sloppy, lose the turnover battle, can't count on a 105 yd kickoff return for a TD again on the road.

How do you take out the return? Does it automatically mean we don't score in that situation? Never, ever take out 1/3rd of a football game.

Broncomutt
11-08-2012, 01:08 PM
The Fox/Manning revenge angle has been underplayed all week long. Do not think for one second this game was not circled on the calendar the day schedules were released.

Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/chang.jpg

:thumbs:

Except Panther fans and players don't really hate Fox. There isn't the venom towards him that Bronco fans feel towards McLoser. Most people understand the current woes of the Panthers is more a front office mess than Fox's poor organizational skills.

Having said that, there's little love for the guy as well. It's not like he's Shanny returning to Denver as HC of the Skins.

Fox never had back to back winning seasons, but he also put Carolina in 2 NFCCG and 1 SB. The feeling mostly is "There were ups and downs, let's move on."

Kaylore
11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't really see Peyton Manning wanting revenge on the Panthers owner, either. Honestly Manning gets up for every game. I don't think a perceived slight means Manning is going to "try really hard" to make the owner feel bad. That's not even on Manning's radar.

swaiy
11-08-2012, 01:15 PM

If you start removing certain plays from every game, teams could be 8-0 or 0-8. The facts say they cant finish games because if they were the better team on those days, they wouldnt have lost. The same goes for all teams in the NFL.

mwill07
11-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Except Panther fans and players don't really hate Fox. There isn't the venom towards him that Bronco fans feel towards McLoser. Most people understand the current woes of the Panthers is more a front office mess than Fox's poor organizational skills.

Having said that, there's little love for the guy as well. It's not like he's Shanny returning to Denver as HC of the Skins.

Fox never had back to back winning seasons, but he also put Carolina in 2 NFCCG and 1 SB. The feeling mostly is "There were ups and downs, let's move on."

I think the angle is more along the lines of Fox wanting revenge on Richardson/Panthers than the Carolina fans wanting to beat up on Fox. To be honest, i wouldn't be all that surprised to see Fox cheered when the Broncos take the field.

Broncomutt
11-08-2012, 01:37 PM
I think the angle is more along the lines of Fox wanting revenge on Richardson/Panthers than the Carolina fans wanting to beat up on Fox. To be honest, i wouldn't be all that surprised to see Fox cheered when the Broncos take the field.

I agree. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the game since I have to be in Nashville Monday morning. So you and your wife make lots of noise. :egbgb:

DENVERDUI55
11-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Game is a bit scary to me. I think it could be a Denver blowout or a last minute heartbreaking loss. I know some people think Cam isn't even as good as Tebow but he scares me. I don't really fear his passing but its the plays that Denver defenses well and he uses feet to pick up chunks of yardage. I believe this is the first time we will face the spread option on defense. I think we can play cover 1 and not get burnt on the opposite side of Smith and roll a S to him. We need a good spy on Newton and Miller seems like an obvious choice but I think we should pick and choose when to do it.

On offense I have no doubt we will get our pts but I hope we aren't hell bend on forcing the running game when it isn't there. That being said we can't drop 3 straight first down passes and then punt like we did last week. I think we should no huddle from the get go and then let Manning call the plays from the line. Hopefully Denver gets up big and steps on their throat. Let's be aggressive on 4th downs around mid field or in Carolina side of the field even though I know that isn't Fox.

Cito Pelon
11-08-2012, 02:59 PM
How do you take out the return? Does it automatically mean we don't score in that situation? Never, ever take out 1/3rd of a football game.

The thing is, Denver lost the momentum a few times in that Cincy road game. They regained the Mo with that KO return TD, then lost it bigtime right after that. I'm saying they better play better overall and not lose the Big Mo battle on the road again like they did at Cincy, because they can't count on a KO return again for a momentum swing.

fontaine
11-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Yeah, but Wolfe has improved his technique and overall play the last couple of weeks. He's getting off the snap better and not letting OL completely latch onto him.

The stats in PFF are kinda against Wolfe because after Dumervil he plays the most snaps and as a rookie it's more about getting him the experience so he can get better next year.

razorwire77
11-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Cam is inevitably going to drop a couple passes into our DBs hands - we need to hang onto them and take advantage of the mistakes. Cam starts to unravel when the opposition takes advantage of his mistakes as bad or worse than Cutler used to when he was here.

That's another real concern. You know Cam will throw into coverage. Will our guys catch the damn ball?

ScottXray
11-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I still think it would be a bit demoralizing to lose. Carolina is not a team we should lose to, even on the road. I obviously wouldn't consider our season over, but we're only one game up on San Diego right now, and they've got an easy schedule the rest of the way. For them to pull even with us the week before we play them again would put our lead in the division in serious jeopardy. (of course, they've got to beat Tampa Bay this week)

My guess is SanDiego will lose this week at Tampa. Tampa has been putting up huge points the last four games and SD defense is not all that. I look for a tight first half ( 21-14) then Tampa to pull away in the 2nd half.

Our best path is to just not lose this week or, next either. There are still 8 games to be played....

DENVERDUI55
11-08-2012, 05:16 PM
That's another real concern. You know Cam will throw into coverage. Will our guys catch the damn ball?

It's kind of like Romo said when he was with the FADE when he played against Griese. He will throw you about 4 balls a game that you can make a play on you just have to make the play.

Rohirrim
11-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Yeah, but Wolfe has improved his technique and overall play the last couple of weeks. He's getting off the snap better and not letting OL completely latch onto him.

The stats in PFF are kinda against Wolfe because after Dumervil he plays the most snaps and as a rookie it's more about getting him the experience so he can get better next year.

Wolfe is mind-boggling. For any rookie to come in and start his first season at DT in the NFL is unheard of. I'm amazed at this guy's progress.

Agamemnon
11-08-2012, 05:48 PM
The only way this game is close is if we have yet more stupid turnovers (very possible). Otherwise we will roll them. Neither their offense nor defense match up very well against us.

Old Dude
11-08-2012, 06:05 PM
This is one of the two games in the second half of the season I think we're going to lose.

Hope I'm wrong, but like I said before, there's bad juju all over the place.

Oh, and last time Denver went there, the Broncos got creamed, 30-10. They are the southern fried Ravens.

baja
11-08-2012, 07:07 PM
This is one of the two games in the second half of the season I think we're going to lose.

Hope I'm wrong, but like I said before, there's bad juju all over the place.

Oh, and last time Denver went there, the Broncos got creamed, 30-10. They are the southern fried Ravens.

I think this game comes down to JDR's game plan. Contain Cam and let the secondary continue to play agressive, if they are successful in those two things Peyton and company should be able to out score them for the win.

But I agree this is a worrisome game. TB being the other one IMO.

Bronco Boy
11-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Carolina has a very underrated defense, especially against the pass. However, they are starting a rookie cornerback who Manning should be able to pick on. This is the kind of trap game that in the past 5 years or so we would lose. I'm confident we win this week though.

RedskinBronco
11-08-2012, 09:50 PM
No excuses. Carolina's defense is respectable but the Broncos should still be able to win this game in a business like manner. The panthers will make mistakes, that's why they are 2-6, it's up to the Broncos not to let them hang around with mistakes of their own.

Panthers made a few mistakes last week that would have burned them, lucky for them they were facing Team Mistake - The Washington Redskins.

This should be a W. We will find out if it is one step forward and two steps back or if the Broncos continue to build momentum towards a top 2 seed in the AFC.

baja
11-08-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm gonna say 38 - 17 Denver.

Broncos4tw
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Broncos should win this easily. As long as they don't make a lot of mistakes, it won't be a problem at all. Cam will what.. run around 10 times? Maybe knock off a 10 and a 14 yarder or something? That's not going to get it done.

Broncos will win - I'll say 35 to 17.

g6matty
11-08-2012, 10:24 PM
27 - 20 denver !!

Bacchus
11-08-2012, 11:52 PM

They still have to play Baltimore and Pittsburg and Denver and TB on the road.

Their schedule is much tought than Denvers.

They are going to lose to Tampa and Denver and their season will be over.

ZONA
11-09-2012, 02:53 AM
I think the Panthers have played the 2nd toughest schedule in the league (we're first no doubt). They are battle tested. Yes they've lost but they have been very close to several wins. I still think we are the better team and have more talent but we can't go in there and make all sorts of mistakes and win. Because it's yet another road game, I predict (and last week I predicted Broncos 31 Bengals 20 so I was only off by 3).....

Broncos 27
Panthers 21

mwill07
11-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I agree. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the game since I have to be in Nashville Monday morning. So you and your wife make lots of noise. :egbgb:

most definitely will.

Beantown Bronco
11-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Our best path is to just not lose this week or, next either.

This can't be true.

RedskinBronco
11-09-2012, 07:40 AM
To put this game in perspective, here is a stat I just saw

TDs this season:

Bears DEFENSE 7
Dolphins Offense 6
Chiefs Offense 6
Panthers Offense 6

Beantown Bronco
11-09-2012, 08:02 AM
wow

baja
11-09-2012, 08:30 AM

TDs this season:

Bears DEFENSE 7
Dolphins Offense 6
Chiefs Offense 6
Panthers Offense 6

that's less than a TD a game on O for those three teams. The shocking one in that group is the Dolphins.

RedskinBronco
11-09-2012, 08:42 AM
that's less than a TD a game on O for those three teams. The shocking one in that group is the Dolphins.

I saw the stat on espn this morning on mike and mike in the morning but when I look at the box scores it doesn't seem right.

I'm too lazy to go back and figure it out. Maybe it is since week 3 or something.

If I see it again, I will update

DENVERDUI55
11-09-2012, 09:04 AM

TDs this season:

Bears DEFENSE 7
Dolphins Offense 6
Chiefs Offense 6
Panthers Offense 6

Newton has scored 10 td on his own.

baja
11-09-2012, 09:12 AM
No team has scored less than 12 touchdowns;

Team G Pts/G TotPts Total Rsh Rec Ret Def
1 Green Bay Packers 9 26.6 239 30 2 26 1 1
1 New England Patriots 8 32.8 262 30 12 16 1 1
3 Denver Broncos 8 29.4 235 29 5 20 1 3
4 Houston Texans 8 29.6 237 28 12 12 0 4
4 New Orleans Saints 8 27.2 218 28 4 22 0 2
6 Chicago Bears 8 29.5 236 27 7 12 0 8
6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8 28.2 226 27 9 16 0 2
8 Washington Redskins 9 25.1 226 26 12 9 0 5
9 New York Giants 9 28.2 254 25 11 12 0 2
10 Atlanta Falcons 8 27.5 220 23 5 17 0 1
11 Baltimore Ravens 8 24.9 199 22 9 10 1 2
11 Buffalo Bills 8 22.5 180 22 5 15 2 0
13 Cincinnati Bengals 8 23.6 189 21 5 15 1 0
13 Minnesota Vikings 9 22.7 204 21 8 10 2 1
13 San Francisco 49ers 8 23.6 189 21 8 12 0 1
16 Detroit Lions 8 24 192 20 10 10 0 0
16 Pittsburgh Steelers 8 23.9 191 20 4 16 0 0
16 San Diego Chargers 8 23.1 185 20 4 12 0 4
16 Tennessee Titans 9 20.2 182 20 6 11 2 1
20 Indianapolis Colts 9 20.7 186 19 7 10 0 2
20 Miami Dolphins 8 21.2 170 19 11 6 1 1
20 New York Jets 8 21 168 19 5 10 2 2
23 Carolina Panthers 8 18.6 149 18 9 6 0 3
23 Seattle Seahawks 9 18.9 170 18 4 13 0 1
25 Cleveland Browns 9 18.8 169 17 6 9 0 2
26 Oakland Raiders 8 21.4 171 16 3 13 0 0
27 Arizona Cardinals 9 16 144 15 4 10 0 1
27 Dallas Cowboys 8 18.8 150 15 4 11 0 0
29 Philadelphia Eagles 8 16.6 133 13 3 10 0 0
30 Jacksonville Jaguars 9 14.1 127 12 2 10 0 0
30 Kansas City Chiefs 8 16.6 133 12 5 6 0 1
30 St. Louis Rams 8 17.1 137 12 2 9 0 1

mwill07
11-09-2012, 09:28 AM

TDs this season:

Bears DEFENSE 7
Dolphins Offense 6
Chiefs Offense 6
Panthers Offense 6

Dolphins, Chiefs, and Panthers all have 6 passing TD's, not total TD's.

Panthers also have 9 rushing TD's to go along with those 6 - 15 TD's on the season.

Kaylore
11-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Yeah those are passing TD's. They obviously favor the run. Another stat is Steve Smith caught his first TD pass this year last week.

RedskinBronco
11-09-2012, 09:58 AM
yeah as i said I went back because it didn't seem right. My fault.

Anyways, my game plan (as is the same with every week) is to get ahead early and have JDR let that pass rush loose once the panthers are forced to play catch up.

Honestly, the broncos strength is when they can let Miller, Dumervil and company just go after the QB. IMO, that's when the broncos are at their best and tough to beat.

So get ahead and go after Cam...

Bronco Rob
11-09-2012, 10:43 AM

I don't really see Peyton Manning wanting revenge on the Panthers owner, either. Honestly Manning gets up for every game. I don't think a perceived slight means Manning is going to "try really hard" to make the owner feel bad. That's not even on Manning's radar.

Broncos coach John Fox is doing everything he can to downplay his return to Bank of America Stadium, where he coached the Carolina Panthers for nine seasons before an acrimonious 2010 season led to his departure after his contract was not renewed.

"They all count the same, the last time I looked," Fox said.

But he knows that he can keep reciting cliches about this week's game being no more important than any other and that no one will listen.

"You guys are welcome to your own thoughts," he said as he closed his press briefing after Wednesday's practice. "I've been doing this for 25 years and have had a lot of homecomings.

"It will be good to get back and see some old friends and revisit some relationships that I built over nine years there. It's a business trip and we're getting our team ready and we'll see where it leads us."

But none of those previous "homecomings" were to a place where Fox had been the head coach. Or the winningest coach in that club's history. Or had coached more than half of that team's all-time games. Or where he still had his family's dream home -- in a state where two of his grown children now reside.

But it seems like some of his players know better.

"I definitely understand what he's saying as far as having to prepare like it's any other game, but it's going to be emotional on Sunday for him," tight end Joel Dreessen said. "Any time you spend a lot of time at a place, you're going to have some emotional attachment."

And sometimes the emotion filters down to the players. It certainly didn't hurt the Indianapolis Colts in 2003, when ex-Bucs coach Tony Dungy led them to a 38-35 win at Tampa Bay in which they overcame a 28-7 deficit in the final five minutes of regulation before winning in overtime. The Colts' quarterback that night was Peyton Manning.

"I think every week you want to win for your head coach," Manning said. "I've always wanted to believe players should want to win for many reasons -- and one of them should be your head coach."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/den/report

Bronco Rob
11-09-2012, 10:46 AM
The Broncos thought they were done with the zone-read option offensive looks after 2011 starting quarterback Tim Tebow was dealt to the New York Jets in March. From an offensive perspective, they were. But now the Broncos hope their defenders took good notes, with Carolina's Cam Newton ready and willing to use plenty of zone-read looks when the teams meet Sunday.

Five of the Broncos' starting 11 defenders weren't with the team last year. But cornerback Champ Bailey was, and he hasn't been shy about imparting a crucial lesson he learned from watching Tebow and the Broncos' 2011 misdirection at work.

"Simple: do your job, because once you try to do someone else's job, that's when the big runs take place," Bailey said. "Watching tape of a couple of teams, one guy has the quarterback, one guy has the pitch. Both of them played the pitch; the quarterback goes 40 yards. You just have to do your job."

It's also not the only element with which the Broncos must contend. At times, the Broncos exclusively ran the zone-read option, only changing when the defense adapted and left the Broncos with no other choice. Carolina interweaves the zone-read into a multi-faceted attack.

"Some of the things that we do are very similar to what the Broncos were doing last year with Tebow," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said. "I think it's a little bit more different though because we really line up and do some more conventional stuff as opposed to constantly using that zone-read scheme that Tim ran so well for Denver."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/den/report

TonyR
11-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Brian Burke, something of the NFL's Nate Silver, has us as slight favorites:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/week-10-n-f-l-game-probabilities-dont-be-so-sure/

Beantown Bronco
11-09-2012, 11:37 AM
For what it's worth, the majority of the local media here seems to have us as their slam dunk pick of the week, even ahead of the Pats at home against Buffalo. That surprised me.

TheReverend
11-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Yeah those are passing TD's. They obviously favor the run. Another stat is Steve Smith caught his first TD pass this year last week.

Even with Cam they're #12 in the league rushing.

They may favor the run, but they still suck caulk at it.

TheReverend
11-09-2012, 11:43 AM
For what it's worth, the majority of the local media here seems to have us as their slam dunk pick of the week, even ahead of the Pats at home against Buffalo. That surprised me.

Including spread maybe?

My favorite w/spread was Indy last night. Was very tempted to double down on my 5300 from that 8 team parlay last week.

Kaylore
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Even with Cam they're #12 in the league rushing.

They may favor the run, but they still suck caulk at it.

They have played some decent rush defenses, including Chicago, Tampa, Seattle and Washington.

ludo21
11-09-2012, 12:14 PM
we got to stop Newton, I am playing him in my my FFL. ;D

underrated29
11-09-2012, 12:27 PM
wow and this is the game ive been most worried about since the pats

TheReverend
11-09-2012, 12:44 PM
we got to stop Newton, I am playing him in my my FFL. ;D

I'm playing Denver DST since we're going to rape him so hard.

Kaylore
11-09-2012, 03:31 PM
The only player not to practice fully Thursday and Friday was Frank Alexander.

TonyR
11-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Here's the requisite Bill Simmons take (omg bill simmonz sux!!! he hates the broncos!!!):

PANTHERS (+4.5) over Broncos
John Fox's emotional return to Carolina! (What? It's not emotional at all? Not even a little? My bad.) A couple of things to remember about this one

The Panthers haven't played a bad game since their memorable Thursday-night stinker against the Giants that briefly turned everyone against Cam Newton and led to people frantically selling his rookie cards on eBay like the Dukes selling their oranges stock at the end of Trading Places.2 Their last five games: two-point loss in Atlanta; four-point loss to Seattle; five-point loss to Dallas; one-point loss to Chicago; eight-point win at Washington. And in all four losses, they had the ball with the chance to win in the final few minutes. This isn't your typical 2-6 team just like Baltimore isn't your typical 6-2 team and the Knicks aren't going to finish 82-0.

If the Broncos beat Carolina, that would give them a four-game win streak with the following games looming: home for Fraudulent San Diego at Nobody Will Be There Because Everyone Will Be So Bitter and Angry Kansas City home for Dangerously Dangerous Tampa at Stinky Oakland (Thursday night) at Doing It With Mirrors Baltimore home for About to Fire Their Coach Cleveland home for Soul-Suckingly Crappy Kansas City. They're really going to run the slate and win 11 straight with The Artist Formerly Known As the Noodle? Come on. My upset special: Carolina 33, Denver 30.

(Win or lose, we can't allow Sunday's game to distract from Peyton Manning's brilliant move a few weeks ago of purchasing 21 Papa John's restaurants in Colorado right before the state legalized marijuana. What a comeback for Peyton! Remember when the Broncos were 2-3 and I was still making Mr. Noodle jokes? Now he's an MVP candidate AND a future billionaire.) http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8611122/picking-mike-brown

TheReverend
11-09-2012, 05:31 PM
They have played some decent rush defenses, including Chicago, Tampa, Seattle and Washington.

https://yfrog.com/h451opifj:tw1

Tombstone RJ
11-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Here's the requisite Bill Simmons take (omg bill simmonz sux!!! he hates the broncos!!!):

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8611122/picking-mike-brown

yep, Bill Simmons sucks. get used to it.