PDA

View Full Version : Elway's best signing?

McDman
11-08-2012, 06:28 AM
After Manning, it has to be Dan Koppen. It's crazy how fast he has adjusted to this offense and has had a hand in helping it run smoothly. I just read he has zero sacks and only one penalty. Who would have thought bringing in a vet center could prove to be one of the most important moves we make?

Beantown Bronco
11-08-2012, 06:29 AM
If you're only talking this year.

BowlenBall
11-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Are you counting draft choices? Because I shouted for Marcell Dareus over Von Miller in the 2011 draft... and owe Elway an apology.

socalorado
11-08-2012, 06:35 AM
On a side note, whats the status of Kuper?

v2micca
11-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Are you counting draft choices? Because I shouted for Marcell Dareus over Von Miller in the 2011 draft... and owe Elway an apology.

I hear you. My brother and I were both furious at the Von Miller pick. We have both eaten copious quantities of crow since that day.

Beantown Bronco
11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
On a side note, whats the status of Kuper?

Talk about random. There are side notes and then there are side notes.

out 3 weeks or so

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108452&page=6

BMarsh615
11-08-2012, 06:46 AM
McGahee.

If you are talking about this year only it's a tossup between Tamme, Dreessen, Koppen, and Brooking.

McDman
11-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Guess I should have said free agent signing. Koppen has killed it.

Obviously the Von pick was incredible. And itms now looking like the Rahim Moore pick is going to pay off. The guy hasn't missed a tackle all year.

If Elway continues this and Brock works out, crossing my fingers, we can be a long term player in this league.

McDman
11-08-2012, 06:51 AM
McGahee.

If you are talking about this year only it's a tossup between Tamme, Dreessen, Koppen, and Brooking.

McGahee has been awesome and I like him a lot but I think coming in and playing center is tougher than RB. Either way, it's a good argument to have when it's about who is the best signing.

v2micca
11-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Koppen is definitely a signing that is looking better and better as the year progresses. It's one of those moves that looks almost prescient at this point.

DENVERDUI55
11-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Harris and Carter. Jim leohnard and Holliday are starting to have big role.

BMarsh615
11-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Carter has been a very pleasant surprise. He was getting abused in the preseason.

Crushaholic
11-08-2012, 07:25 AM
A center would mean nothing, without a credible quarterback to direct the offense. Peyton Manning spits in your pizza...;)

Smiling Assassin27
11-08-2012, 07:30 AM
loss of walton has been addition by subtraction, but would only be noteworthy if the replacement was any good. Koppen is AWESOME. He really reminds me of Nalen in a lot of ways.

Beantown Bronco
11-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Koppen is AWESOME. He really reminds me of Nalen in a lot of ways.

Nalen. The new McCaffrey.

chickennob2
11-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Good call. The Chris Harris UDFA signing was fantastic.

Mountain Bronco
11-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Lots of good signings. Koppen, Harris, Carter, Tamme, Dressen, stokely, Ramirez. Good draft as well with Wolf, Hilman etc... He should win executive of the year!

baja
Good thread.

How about his worse signing?

Andre Cadwell?

Tracy Porter (because of the money)?

Joe Mays?

Ty Warren (injuries)?

Mountain Bronco
The best may be to come as well as FA are once again going to want to play for the Denver Broncos!

Mountain Bronco
11-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Porters Money isn't bad considering it is one year, now the Mays signing might be bad, but with Warren Elway did the right thing in getting his salary reduced.

Bacchus
11-08-2012, 08:16 AM
I'll take Miller and then John Fox then Jack Del Rio

BroncoMan4ever
11-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Carter has been a very pleasant surprise. He was getting abused in the preseason.

That was more because replacement refs were throwing flags at him for playing tight coverage and not because he was badly beaten

McDman
11-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Good thread.

Andre Cadwell?

Joe Mays?

Ty Warren (injuries)?

I don't see anything wrong with the Caldwell signing. It is good to have veteran depth if needed. I think had Stokley not been here he'd be producing decently. Btw, the Stoke signing was gold.

Porter isn't too bad. If he can get healthy he will be fine.

Joe Mays was the only move that just perplexed me. I still don't get it to be honest.

They rolled the dice on Warren and it didnmt work. Unfortunate for both sides but our DTs are playing fine either way.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Elway wasn't in the FO when McGahee was brought in. Are we talking best additions before Elway too?

Edit: too early in the morning for me. Brain fart

Beantown Bronco
11-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Elway wasn't in the FO when McGahee was brought in. Are we talking best additions before Elway too?

Ummm, what? He most certainly was.

Elway was hired in Jan of 2011.
McGahee signed with us in July of 2011.

broncocalijohn
11-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I would say it was actually the best what he didn't sign.

A Baltimore Colts contract!

g6matty
11-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Guess I should have said free agent signing. Koppen has killed it.

Obviously the Von pick was incredible. And itms now looking like the Rahim Moore pick is going to pay off. The guy hasn't missed a tackle all year.

If Elway continues this and Brock works out, crossing my fingers, we can be a long term player in this league.

he got stiff armed by aj green on his cross route where he got to like the two yard line i think hes missed 3 total tackles but he looks so much better i hope he can start racking up some ints

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Ummm, what? He most certainly was.

Elway was hired in Jan of 2011.
McGahee signed with us in July of 2011.

I stand corrected. For some reason I had Mcgahee here 3 years

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-08-2012, 10:43 AM
I would say it was actually the best what he didn't sign.

A Baltimore Colts contract!

Or a baseball one!

SleepingTiger
11-08-2012, 10:59 AM
See some of the pictures of the women Elway be hanging out with? I think the smartest signing Elway had was when he signed his divorce papers.

errand
11-08-2012, 11:06 AM

I think when all is said and done you're not going to be the only one who owes Elway an apology...many clowns on here are starting to eat their harsh words, many more will also do likewise.

errand
11-08-2012, 11:08 AM
How about John Fox and Jack Del Rio?

errand
11-08-2012, 11:11 AM
See some of the pictures of the women Elway be hanging out with? I think the smartest signing Elway had was when he signed his divorce papers.

Perhaps. but I think he really wishes he and Janet had stayed married and remained a complete family happily ever after

errand
11-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Or a baseball one!

Well technically speaking he did sign a minor league baseball contract with the Yankees to play in 1982?

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Well technically speaking he did sign a minor league baseball contract with the Yankees to play in 1982?

Ya I was meaning a long term one that would send him in the direction of baseball. Good thing the colts traded him to us. Elway is still influencing this team decades later. Love it.

And I totally agree with you on the Elway haters. Underestimated him based on their hate to trade someone away

SleepingTiger
11-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Perhaps. but I think he really wishes he and Janet had stayed married and remained a complete family happily ever after

thats why they had a divorce? yeah, let me guess, Janet Elway was 100% at fault. 99 out of 100 divorces is 50% mens fault and 50% womens fault. What Elway wishes and what he wanted was 2 totally different things.

Bacchus
11-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Good thread.

Andre Cadwell?

Joe Mays?

Ty Warren (injuries)?

Really, I cannot fault any of those moves too much.

I have been watching film from last year and it seems to me Hagen played better than Mays. I know he is older but it seems he might have been the better LBer to re-sign. Anyway, all of these players signed for peanuts and can be easily cut with little cap hit. Mays will cost a bit but not a whole lot. He signed for $4 million a year I believe.

DENVERDUI55
11-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Who knows and really who cares because talking about it is pure speculation. They both seem happy now and Hohn has done a great job with the team.

fontaine
11-08-2012, 01:53 PM
After Manning, it has to be Dan Koppen. It's crazy how fast he has adjusted to this offense and has had a hand in helping it run smoothly. I just read he has zero sacks and only one penalty. Who would have thought bringing in a vet center could prove to be one of the most important moves we make?

It's crazy only when compared to the sh*tty sloppy seconds McDouchebag filled this team with in Maroney, Jarvis Green, scrub OL, Brady Quinn, Mcree and other crappy players.

For most good GMs signing a veteran Center when the current starter has struggled the past two years is a no brainer.

Same with signing Leonhard when it became clear Carter was going on IR.
Same with Brooking when DJ suspension was looming.
Same with Bannan with Ty Warren's injury history.
Same with doubling up on Dreessen/Tamme.

I thought for sure McDouche had set this franchise back 5 years, thanks to the Duke we're right back on track.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I almost threw up just now being reminded of McCree.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-08-2012, 03:07 PM
How about John Fox and Jack Del Rio?

Ditto.

Inkana7
11-08-2012, 03:12 PM
It's crazy only when compared to the sh*tty sloppy seconds McDouchebag filled this team with in Maroney, Jarvis Green, scrub OL, Brady Quinn, Mcree and other crappy players.

For most good GMs signing a veteran Center when the current starter has struggled the past two years is a no brainer.

Same with signing Leonhard when it became clear Carter was going on IR.
Same with Brooking when DJ suspension was looming.
Same with Bannan with Ty Warren's injury history.
Same with doubling up on Dreessen/Tamme.

I thought for sure McDouche had set this franchise back 5 years, thanks to the Duke we're right back on track.

Wasn't McCree a Shanahan signing? Same year we trotted out Marquand Manuel for 16 games, right?

I don't think Walton is a scrub my any means and both he and Beadles (especially Beadles-wow) made huge strides this year. Having the foresight to sign a veteran like Koppen was huge though, especially since I think Manny Ramierez was also our primary backup C.

ZONA
11-08-2012, 03:46 PM
McGahee.

Really? You don't think Manning was a better signing then Tamme, Dressen, Koppen and Brooking?

Agamemnon
11-08-2012, 03:56 PM

LOL No he wasn't...

lonestar
11-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Wasn't McCree a Shanahan signing? Same year we trotted out Marquand Manuel for 16 games, right?

I don't think Walton is a scrub my any means and both he and Beadles (especially Beadles-wow) made huge strides this year. Having the foresight to sign a veteran like Koppen was huge though, especially since I think Manny Ramierez was also our primary backup C.

Considering the lack of coaching JD and Beadles received prior to this off season I think they have come a very long way. And for those that forgot Elways got the team hired the coaches and then said coaches were un able to talk teach or work with our guys until the signed the new CBA just prior to TC last year.

I'd guess that the two would have been better last year had they been able to take advantage of OTAs and conditioning at Dove Valley with our staff.
They made huge strides over this past off season..

While Koppen is a good find playing is only going to make JD better as he is the future of the franchise. Not Koppen.

Nice having experience around but playing them and not the future does us little good. Let's hope JD is back in full stride next year, with another year of off season workouts to bulk him up just a bit more. I'd like to see him come in around 315. Same with Beadles. Maybe 320-25 for him. Would make handling those giant 340-370 NT/DT easier.
Btw good post

errand
11-08-2012, 05:37 PM
thats why they had a divorce? yeah, let me guess, Janet Elway was 100% at fault. 99 out of 100 divorces is 50% mens fault and 50% womens fault. What Elway wishes and what he wanted was 2 totally different things.

I didn't assess blame, and don't really care why they got a divorce...I just think family means alot to John, and he probably wishes whatever issues he and Janet had could have been resolved. Just my opinion....

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Man watching the jags go 3 and out, I do not miss that over the last couple years. Elway swept that out of here.

lonestar
11-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Got to remember that some of these kiddie posters hate anything josh did and therefore his draft choices are all crap.
Why do they hate Josh because:

their boi mikey got Canned.
He was from NE.
He traded their boi cutlet.
Traded BM.
Traded TS.

Take your choice some or all of them

The audacity of it all.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Got to remember that some of these kiddie posters hate anything josh did and therefore his draft choices are all crap.
Why do they hate Josh because:

their boi mikey got Canned.
He was from NE.
He traded their boi cutlet.
Traded BM.
Traded TS.

Take your choice some or all of them

The audacity of it all.

You forgot trading a 1st for a 2nd rounder. Jarvis green guaranteed money. Maroney. Etc etc. alot of people didnt like him for what you've listed. I didn't like him cause he sucked as a HC, and even worse at personnel decisions.

Oh and cheating in Europe might not sit well with some. Losing that game on top. Lol

DBroncos4life
11-08-2012, 06:04 PM
You forgot trading a 1st for a 2nd rounder. Jarvis green guaranteed money. Maroney. Etc etc. alot of people didnt like him for what you've listed. I didn't like him cause he sucked as a HC, and even worse at personnel decisions.

Oh and cheating in Europe might not sit well with some. Losing that game on top. Lol

I'm in my 30s and I literally never spelled boy like that. How anyone doesn't think star is nothing but a fake troll is beyond me.

Bacchus
11-08-2012, 08:18 PM

How about losing 24 of the last 30 games or something like that, Does that count too?

lonestar
11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm in my 30s and I literally never spelled boy like that. How anyone doesn't think star is nothing but a fake troll is beyond me.

Well there I go believing something some one said in a thread quite some time ago.

Was led to believe that that was a slang term for a young male lover.

But now that you brought it up checking new dictionary words I see I was misled.

So sorry I did not check it out personally and will not use it again.

Whoops I just found it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boi

Read and weep.

lonestar
11-08-2012, 09:12 PM
How about losing 24 of the last 30 games or something like that, Does that count too?

Sure that counts but the hate was on him like stink of crap from the get go because of those things I posted. Most of the rest was just add ons..

I could have written a list as long as space permitted, but just wanted the root cause of your hate.

Covered it pretty well IMO.

There are so many cutlet lovers mikey lovers that will never get over losing their boi.

Whoops I used it again. This time with reference.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boi

Al Wilson
11-09-2012, 12:43 AM
The job Elway has done is remarkable. In just over a year and a half people are talking about the Broncos being legit contenders. Unbelieveable. He has been doing his homework. Just look at the last 2 drafts, free agent signings, undrafted free agents, etc. He's a winner, and knows how to win. I love the team he has built ever since we got rid of McDouchebag (remember what a mess he made ?!?!?!?!).

Beantown Bronco
11-09-2012, 06:12 AM
Really? You don't think Manning was a better signing then Tamme, Dressen, Koppen and Brooking?

Read the OP. The first two words are "after Manning".....otherwise, this thread wouldn't have lasted more than one post.

Bronco Rob
11-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Hiring Fox
Drafting Miller
Hiring Del Rio
Landing Manning
Handling "The Tebow" situation
Firing Xanders
Koppen - Brooking

People were saying Elway was just another former player trying to be a GM. Firing off names, listing failures.... Matt Millen was mentioned mutiple times, funny how they forgot one former player: Ozzie Newsome. So far, Elway is more Newsome than Millen.

:thumbs:

enjolras
11-10-2012, 05:12 AM
People were saying Elway was just another former player trying to be a GM. Firing off names, listing failures.... Matt Millen was mentioned mutiple times, funny how they forgot one former player: Ozzie Newsome. So far, Elway is more Newsome than Millen.

Yep. The thing most folks seemed to discount after he was hired was the fact that Elway has been effectively preparing for this since the day he retired. He knew what he wanted and his role with the arena league and the rest of his interests prepared him for this job.

He's not one of those former players stumbling into the front office with no real thought about how it actually works. He did his prep. He played in the minor leagues so he can be effective once he got the majors.