PDA

View Full Version : Modern NFL Recievers

v2micca
11-07-2012, 10:59 AM
I was watching some NFL films retrospective of games of the 70's the other day and one of the defenders mentioned that back in those days, when the defense got the opponent in 3rd and long, the Defensive Backs would just camp out a few yards in front of the 1st down marker and take out any WR that came near it.

It made me wonder, if you could transplant a trio of modern day big bodied Wide Receivers (say Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Brandon Marshall) and drop them in one of the Roger Staubach led Cowboys teams and tell them, just go to town on those DBs, anything to get open is legal, how would they fare? Would they be able to thrive in a more lawless secondary where they would probably have significant size and strength advantages?

enjolras
11-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I think the opposite would be true. Guys like Chris Collinsworth had the ability to avoid contact in those days. They could slip those headhunters and get open behind them in those situations.

These bigger guys are amazing athletes, but they're bigger targets that are going to have a harder time avoiding contact.

I do think a guy like McCaffrey would have been a sure fire hall of famer in that era.

NUB
11-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I think a rule like that would dramatically change how defenses play football from formations to schemes to the types of players.

gyldenlove
11-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Get a guy like Gronkowski, he would absolutely truck a guy like Dick Lebeau. The recievers of today are bigger, stronger and importantly faster than anything the NFL had 30 years ago.

Agamemnon
11-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Get a guy like Gronkowski, he would absolutely truck a guy like Dick Lebeau. The recievers of today are bigger, stronger and importantly faster than anything the NFL had 30 years ago.

Let's be honest, Gronkowski would't be the guy he is without modern workouts and "nutrition".