PDA

View Full Version : Tony Carter is the most difficult CB to compete a pass against in the entire NFL

prunch
11-06-2012, 04:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/undrafted-cbs-broncos-porter-afterthought-213537580--nfl.html

"Combined, Chris Harris and Tony Carter have allowed just 23 completions in 59 attempts, and Carter is the toughest cornerback in the NFL to complete a pass against, according to STATS LLC.
Moving into the starting lineup opposite Champ Bailey, Harris has allowed only 16 completions in 34 passes thrown his way, and he's broken up a half-dozen throws.
Carter, who is playing in both the nickel and dime packages, is allowing a league-low completion percentage of just 28 (7 receptions in 25 attempts) among the league's 103 cornerbacks and who have been targeted at least 15 times.
Just as impressively, Carter has broken up as many passes as catches he's allowed."

Bacchus
11-06-2012, 04:27 PM
That is friggin awesome!

Bigdawg26
11-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I dunno, but he kinda reminds me of Foxworth when he was here. A thin cornerback that makes plays.

Action
11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I had already assumed this since I've been watching him play. I don't have the resources to find statistics, but I'm pretty sure Tony Carter has been locking down everyone he's been covering the past few starts.

Locking down, Champ Bailey elite status.

I'm not sure how they bench Tony Carter at this point TBH... he's literally playing like the best cover DB in the league.

BroncoMan4ever
11-06-2012, 04:37 PM
I dunno, but he kinda reminds me of Foxworth when he was here. A thin cornerback that makes plays.

He's better than Foxworth was.

HooptyHoops
11-06-2012, 05:01 PM
This is awesome! I was so worried about our corners at the beginning of the year, and now it seems to be a Strength!

DBroncos4life
11-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Teams are going to start attacking Bailey. ;D

OrangeSe7en
11-06-2012, 05:20 PM
It's definitely been an unexpected bonus. Harris was showing promise last year but Carter has really had a break through this year.

yerner
11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
by far my favorite to watch right now. don't know anything about him though.

errand
11-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I had already assumed this since I've been watching him play. I don't have the resources to find statistics, but I'm pretty sure Tony Carter has been locking down everyone he's been covering the past few starts.

Locking down, Champ Bailey elite status.

I'm not sure how they bench Tony Carter at this point TBH... he's literally playing like the best cover DB in the league.

It's good that our 3rd Cb is better than most team's 3rd WR......

SportinOne
11-06-2012, 05:34 PM
And I suppose I will take this opportunity to say that Rahim More has looked very solid lately. It's a shame Quinton Carter got hurt or that secondary would be even more beastly. What do we do with Porter when he's ready to play again? As far as nickel corners go, he'd have to be the best in the NFL wouldn't he?

Steve Prefontaine
11-06-2012, 05:37 PM

I really don't remember Foxworth making many plays. He played such soft coverage compared to Carter and Harris.

errand
11-06-2012, 06:04 PM
by far my favorite to watch right now. don't know anything about him though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Carter_(cornerback)

lonestar
11-06-2012, 06:18 PM
If Carter and Harris keep learning then we may have a replacement for Champ when he hangs them up..

Although having Champ on the other side I think skews some of the numbers..
his presence means that one Side of the field is taken away from the QB and thus gives the DL time to put more pressure on..

Time will tell..

FWIW Foxworth never impressed me..

Inkana7
11-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Carter has really, really impressed me. He and Carter both play with fantastic technique and are really good press man corners, and these skills combined with our pass rush are deadly. We really haven't seen how Carter is at tackling yet, but it's hard to be worse than Porter at that.

broncosteven
11-06-2012, 06:37 PM

He is more short than thin and he is much better than Fox was.

Carter got owned by Jeffery a couple times when I saw him play vs duh bears in PS but that was because he gave up about a foot. When I saw the mismatch I told my daughter to watch him and sure enough he gave up a couple catches.

Carter didn't play much early but has gotten much better after getting pressed into action due to Harris's injury.

Carter can elevate but he shouldn't be on tall guys like Jeffery or Johnson. That said he can elevate and has a lot of explosiveness.

Plus he has excellent man skills.

It is nice when guys like him make the roster and then make an impact!

KipCorrington25
11-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Foxworth sucked, that year he got cut he was beaten by scrubs all pre season...

Action
11-06-2012, 06:40 PM
If Carter and Harris keep learning then we may have a replacement for Champ when he hangs them up..

Although having Champ on the other side I think skews some of the numbers..
his presence means that one Side of the field is taken away from the QB and thus gives the DL time to put more pressure on..

Time will tell..

FWIW Foxworth never impressed me..

This post made absolutely no sense.

How does having Champ on one side skew the numbers for the other cornerbacks in an advantageous way?

broncosteven
11-06-2012, 06:44 PM

How does having Champ on one side skew the numbers for the other cornerbacks in an advantageous way?

I don't think Lonestar watched the Cincy game. Champ gave up a TD and a long pass to Green, they went at Champ quite a bit, he gave as good as he got though coming up with a game sealing INT.

Lonestar is wrong yet again.

FWIW I don't thing the back to back SB wins impressed him either.

swaiy
11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
It's good that our 3rd Cb is better than most team's 3rd WR......

Wouldnt he be better than most teams' number 2 since Tony Carter plays outside in nickel situations or do I have it backwards?

cabronco
11-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Tony Carter has been very impressive so far. I'm not sure how we aquired him, will need to research some. I also thought on a play in last Sundays game when Gresham was running down the sidelines, and I thought Moore was going to tackle Gresham. Carter was chasing him down too, but looked like he was getting held on his shoulder pad. Thought that was for sure going to be a flag. Oh well, I like the guys hustle and always seems be in good position.

Binkythefrog
11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Tony Carter has been very impressive so far. I'm not sure how we aquired him, will need to research some. I also thought on a play in last Sundays game when Gresham was running down the sidelines, and I thought Moore was going to tackle Gresham. Carter was chasing him down too, but looked like he was getting held on his shoulder pad. Thought that was for sure going to be a flag. Oh well, I like the guys hustle and always seems be in good position.

Denver took him as an un-drafted free agent, and then he went to New England, and then Minnesota and then came back to Denver in the middle of last season.

I remember hearing something weird on a NFL Network highlight of the Chargers game when Deion Sanders (I think) said he trained with Carter in the offseason (not sure if this is even true) but Neon Deon was one of the best pure cover players ever. Obviously this is light rail quality stuff.. but maybe it helped.

errand
11-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Denver took him as an un-drafted free agent, and then he went to New England, and then Minnesota and then came back to Denver in the middle of last season.

I remember hearing something weird on a NFL Network highlight of the Chargers game when Deion Sanders (I think) said he trained with Carter in the offseason (not sure if this is even true) but Neon Deon was one of the best pure cover players ever. Obviously this is light rail quality stuff.. but maybe it helped.

Sanders probably did help him some as they both graduated from FSU....

errand
11-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Wouldnt he be better than most teams' number 2 since Tony Carter plays outside in nickel situations or do I have it backwards?

Perhaps...not sure....but let's just say we have the ability to put 3 quality CB's on the field more often than opponents can put 3 quality WR's

swaiy
11-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Perhaps...not sure....but let's just say we have the ability to put 3 quality CB's on the field more often than opponents can put 3 quality WR's

4 if you count Porter (when he gets his seizures squared away). :strong:

broncosteven
11-06-2012, 08:01 PM

I bet Belly is kicking himself for letting Carter get away now!

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-06-2012, 08:17 PM
It's great that he's coming on strong. Not sure where this defense would be without him picking up the slack.

Seems like porter is never going to play

maher_tyler
11-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Carter has looked good all season long. This isn't very surprising to me. He's stepped up big time. We haven't missed Porter at all. Depending on what he asks for next year..re-signing him won't be a pressing issue. If he wants more money, I doubt we try to re-sign him.

cabronco
11-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Ya, thanks for that info. Deon was one of the best cover corners, not to mention PR's. Just dont ask him to tackle a guy..lol.

Broncos4Life
11-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Dont know why on earth someone would compare Carter to Foxworth. Guess everyone has smoked dope at least once in their lifetime....

Carter actually reminds me a little of DW. He just goes hard every play. Plays with a swagger, and plays bigger than he really is.

FireFly
11-06-2012, 11:20 PM
I for one am very pleased with his play. I know Champ isn't retiring just yet, but it's nice to think that when he does (sooner rather than later) that we won't be starting from nothing!

DBroncos4life
11-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I would compare Foxworth to Roger from American dad...

lonestar
11-07-2012, 12:13 AM

since you seem to be slow on the uptake.. I'll try again slowly..

In the past Champ would shut down one side of the field, therefore overloading the #2-3 Cb's with most of the burden..

Now it seems that Champ is being forced by the NEW DC to work for a living by focusing for the most part on their Number 1 guy regardless of where he is left or right of center..

Still having Champ on one side or the other still skews, most of the time, the work load of the others..

the longer that Champ can keep their number one guy unavailable for the QB to go after the longer the DL has to work its magic or in some cases the front 7 to do it..

Is that better.. if not frankly I do not care..

lonestar
11-07-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't think Lonestar watched the Cincy game. Champ gave up a TD and a long pass to Green, they went at Champ quite a bit, he gave as good as he got though coming up with a game sealing INT.

Lonestar is wrong yet again.

FWIW I don't thing the back to back SB wins impressed him either.

yes BS I saw the game and Green had a decent day mostly against Champ, but then Champ was not covering him all the time either..

Lots of QB's have been going after Champ but mainly because he he is now trying to take their best out of the game..

as for your cheapshot about being wrong that is your opine.. have had a few reps on it already..

and as for the back to back rings yes I was happy about them, but tempered knowing that it really could have been back to back to back had mikey had his team ready for an expansion team coming to town in the first season..

now that I would have been impressed with but they got their asses kicked at home that kind of takes some of the greatness out of those teams..

ozomulsion
11-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Hopefully we won't have to play N.E. in the playoffs because we can't cover TEs, but if we do, maybe we should put Carter on Welker. Lord knows Harris can't cover him.

lonestar
11-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Hopefully we won't have to play N.E. in the playoffs because we can't cover TEs, but if we do, maybe we should put Carter on Welker. Lord knows Harris can't cover him.

not sure anyone can handle Welker and Brady.. that is a powerful combo..

fontaine
11-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Dont know why on earth someone would compare Carter to Foxworth. Guess everyone has smoked dope at least once in their lifetime....

Carter actually reminds me a little of DW. He just goes hard every play. Plays with a swagger, and plays bigger than he really is.

Exactly, one played almost exclusively as a zone coverage CB and the other is asked to play a lot more press coverage. I don't how you can compare that with a sample size of just three or so games for Carter.

Old Dude
11-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Not to take anything away from Carter or Harris, but Denver's pass rush isn't hurting either one of them.

Baba Booey
11-07-2012, 05:52 AM
The development of our two UDFA CB's has been nothing short of amazing. They've both become not only serviceable contributors at the NFL level (which is usually what you hope for from a free agent), but difference makers as well.

They give me a great amount of confidence in our secondary and our D as a whole. The emergence of Rahim Moore as a quietly solid safety helps too.

Keep bringing in young talent on D!

RedskinBronco
11-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Not to take anything away from Carter or Harris, but Denver's pass rush isn't hurting either one of them.

Exactly. Pass rush is key.

Action
11-07-2012, 01:28 PM
You still make absolutely no sense.

since you seem to be slow on the uptake.. I'll try again slowly..

In the past Champ would shut down one side of the field, therefore overloading the #2-3 Cb's with most of the burden..

Champ hasn't really done this since his 8 int/10 int seasons. I'm not sure how he's overloading #2 Cb's with burden when he's taking away "HALF THE FIELD"...?

Now it seems that Champ is being forced by the NEW DC to work for a living by focusing for the most part on their Number 1 guy regardless of where he is left or right of center..

Champ has done this in the past. As a matter of fact he did this just last year against the Lions. So, you're still not making any sense.

Still having Champ on one side or the other still skews, most of the time, the work load of the others..

Not making any sense. In one part of your post, you're saying he puts burden by taking away one side, and this part you're saying it skews the work load? What?

the longer that Champ can keep their number one guy unavailable for the QB to go after the longer the DL has to work its magic or in some cases the front 7 to do it..

What the hell does this have to do with the other DB's? So the other DB's don't get credit for holding their coverage?

Is that better.. if not frankly I do not care..

I find it funny how you start out your post calling me slow, and end your post in shame realizing you have no idea what BS you're typing.

You're a moron, bro.

:spit:

swaiy
11-07-2012, 03:06 PM
So, I was looking at the stats from last year in comparison to this year.

In 2011, the secondary managed 9 interceptions.

Here we are at the half way mark into this season and the secondary has 8 interceptions.

lonestar
11-07-2012, 03:11 PM
You still make absolutely no sense.
Champ hasn't really done this since his 8 int/10 int seasons. I'm not sure how he's overloading #2 Cb's with burden when he's taking away "HALF THE FIELD"...?
Champ has done this in the past. As a matter of fact he did this just last year against the Lions. So, you're still not making any sense.
Not making any sense. In one part of your post, you're saying he puts burden by taking away one side, and this part you're saying it skews the work load? What?
What the hell does this have to do with the other DB's? So the other DB's don't get credit for holding their coverage?
I find it funny how you start out your post calling me slow, and end your post in shame realizing you have no idea what BS you're typing.

You're a moron, bro.

:spit:

Unless your name is Les you certainly are not my bro.

wow Pot calling Kettle Black.. another of your legendary posts..

carry on..

DENVERDUI55
11-07-2012, 03:18 PM
I love Carters play but not too long ago weren't there some orangemane GM s saying how awful he was and too slow to play?

lonestar
11-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I love Carters play but not too long ago weren't there some orangemane GM s saying how awful he was and too slow to play?

probably as it seems to be epidemic of GMitis going around everyone knowing more about the players because they saw him for a few minutes on game day verses the coaching staff that works with them 5+ days a week and watches their film the other days during season..

I find myself correcting these morons more and more..

we have some super sharp folks like Kaylore, Coach Dean around and then on the other extreme, well to numerous to list..

teknic
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
I find myself correcting these morons more and more..

Find one example please.

Everything that I have seen you post recently has been completely wrong. Then someone calls you out on it and you backpedal for the rest of the thread. I find myself wondering if someone is playing a cruel trick on you and throwing in tapes from a different season, because the posts you make certainly do not correlate to the games I have watched.

Broncos dude
11-07-2012, 04:37 PM
The eye test concludes Tony Carter is alot better than Porter...

cutthemdown
11-07-2012, 04:54 PM

Foxworth made plays?

LonghornBronco
11-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I can't help but to think Von Doom has something to do with our recent secondary success, no?!

:strong:

Action
11-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Unless your name is Les you certainly are not my bro.

wow Pot calling Kettle Black.. another of your legendary posts..

carry on..

Yeah, you really have no idea what you're typing. Try adding to the discussion with FOOTBALL talk.

I'm inclined to think you have holes in your brain and have some sort of impediment to football.

baja
11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Yeah, you really have no idea what you're typing. Try adding to the discussion with FOOTBALL talk.

I'm inclined to think you have holes in your brain and have some sort of impediment to football.

With the way the wind whistles through his ears he can't hear you?

broncosteven
11-07-2012, 05:33 PM
yes BS I saw the game and Green had a decent day mostly against Champ, but then Champ was not covering him all the time either..

Lots of QB's have been going after Champ but mainly because he he is now trying to take their best out of the game..

as for your cheapshot about being wrong that is your opine.. have had a few reps on it already..

and as for the back to back rings yes I was happy about them, but tempered knowing that it really could have been back to back to back had mikey had his team ready for an expansion team coming to town in the first season..

now that I would have been impressed with but they got their asses kicked at home that kind of takes some of the greatness out of those teams..

OMG we didn't have a 3 peat! The SB run was meaningless! If Shanny was really good he would have had a 13 peat!

I love how you totally bypassed Actions comments, deflection on the order of mCgruder or Drama Lama levels!

None of your comments in this thread make any sense. Keep walking in your circle.

BTW I got a bunch of REP's for proving you wrong as well, some from this very thread.

lonestar
11-07-2012, 06:23 PM

Once again nothing to add other than insults.

The last time I heard forums are for an exchange of ideas.

Because you do not understand my posts are not my problem. Several others repped me for them.

lonestar
11-07-2012, 06:26 PM
OMG we didn't have a 3 peat! The SB run was meaningless! If Shanny was really good he would have had a 13 peat!

I love how you totally bypassed Actions comments, deflection on the order of mCgruder or Drama Lama levels!

None of your comments in this thread make any sense. Keep walking in your circle.

BTW I got a bunch of REP's for proving you wrong as well, some from this very thread.

BS so happy for you.

Not sure where you got meaningless out of that post. But I guess that could be the reason you do not get it.

RIF.

broncosteven
11-07-2012, 06:34 PM
BS so happy for you.

Not sure where you got meaningless out of that post. But I guess that could be the reason you do not get it.

RIF.

For the benefit of those that don't understand could you clairify again?

Is it Champ takes away the oppositions best WR the whole game, in which case he would have been on Green ALL Day i.e
"Lots of QB's have been going after Champ but mainly because he he is now trying to take their best out of the game."

Or is Champ only taking the Left side of the field away and skewing the other CB's stats?
"In the past Champ would shut down one side of the field, therefore overloading the #2-3 Cb's with most of the burden"

Maybe he is so good he is doing both?

Please enlighten those of us not graced with your brilliance.

Action
11-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Once again nothing to add other than insults.

The last time I heard forums are for an exchange of ideas.

Because you do not understand my posts are not my problem. Several others repped me for them.

Homeless people get donations too.

But let's be honest, no one repped you for your garbage.

Rock Chalk
11-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Certainly helps, but that is true of every cornerback in the league throughout the history of the NFL. Give a QB all day to throw, even the best corners are going to lose their man.

What is important is that when the ball is thrown their way, they are defending the ball well and not allowing a high completion percentage.

Oh and Champ, Harris and Carter all tackle like a Boss.

TheReverend
11-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Certainly helps, but that is true of every cornerback in the league throughout the history of the NFL. Give a QB all day to throw, even the best corners are going to lose their man.

What is important is that when the ball is thrown their way, they are defending the ball well and not allowing a high completion percentage.

Oh and Champ, Harris and Carter all tackle like a Boss.

Give a QB an open man, even the best pass-rushers won't get there in time.

Bacchus
11-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Action and Lonestar going at it.
http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/cripple-fight-picture.jpg

DivineLegion
11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
I think this is a product of good coaching maximizing quality talent. There was a quote from John Fox in reference to JDRs coaching, I believe Fox said he was amazed at how much this team practiced intercepting the ball. I think this style of aggressive coaching has allowed guys like Chris Harris, and Tony Carter (who is freakishly athletic) more liberty to aggressively attack the ball. Of course part of that coaching entails getting at least one hand on the ball if you can't get both.