PDA

View Full Version : OK don't re-sign Clady and save money for Von Miller's contract.

Bacchus
11-04-2012, 10:13 PM
discuss.

What numbers are we talking about?........................... HUGE!

Harvitz81
11-04-2012, 10:16 PM
I think they can sign both. Would love to see both retire Broncos.

I will admit though that every defensive snap I pretty much key in on Von. Dude is a monster and soooooo glad he is ours. Can't wait for that first pick.

loborugger
11-04-2012, 10:16 PM
At what point did Clady and Miller become mutually exclusive?

beardedwonder
11-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Pretty good chance that by the time we need to resign him we will have 30 mill freed from PM and champ

RhymesayersDU
11-04-2012, 10:20 PM

On 11-04-12, 10:13 PM apparently.

wolf754life
11-04-2012, 10:21 PM
discuss.

thank Goodness you don't run the front office, this post is incredibly weak

BroncoMan4ever
11-04-2012, 10:28 PM
This isn't the Shanahan regime with a ton of wasted cap room. Also, when Von comes due for a new deal Champ's big salary will be much smaller since he will be near the end of his career or retired. DJ's ridiculous deal will be over. Money to keep Von and Clady will be there

Bronco X
11-04-2012, 11:04 PM
No need to undervalue what Clady does. Just because the plays he makes don't make the highlight reel and he doesn't get to do a dance when he does make a play doesn't mean he's not worth an investment.

Armchair Bronco
11-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Ryan Clady needs to stay. He's earned his huge paycheck. And he'll get it.

LongDongJohnson
11-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I say let both go and work on resigning moreno.

Cosmo
11-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Geez, we're not the Sandy Eggo Sparklers, we'll reward our best players.

uplink
11-05-2012, 06:10 AM
There is so much big money wasted on mediocre players in the NFL, if you have guys that are worth the big money like Clady and Miller. There is no choice but to pay up and be glad you are getting something for that money with these two.

g6matty
11-05-2012, 06:18 AM
discuss.

its going to have to be something north of what mario williams just got... right?

fontaine
11-05-2012, 06:24 AM
It's not just Clady, we need to resign Koppen/Ramirez as well.

The job these two did blocking off Geno Atkins was nothing short of amazing, considering how often we passed the ball and how little we did on the ground.

spdirty
11-05-2012, 06:51 AM
I don't want to think or stress about this right now. I'll just trust that Elway will resign em both when the time comes.

rmsanger
11-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Is Clady a top 5 tackle and deserve top 3 tackle money? I'm still unclear as he goes through stretches where he seems lazy or takes plays off (earlier in the season).

broncswin
11-05-2012, 07:04 AM
I say let both go and work on resigning moreno.

Lmao....I needed that laugh this morning.

cmhargrove
11-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Is Clady a top 5 tackle and deserve top 3 tackle money? I'm still unclear as he goes through stretches where he seems lazy or takes plays off (earlier in the season).

I was a little hard on Clady earlier in the season, and he still has plenty of work to do this season (including playoffs) in order to add more zeros to his paycheck. However, his piece of this puzzle is significant. If Manning doesn't have the time to "do his work," or if he gets hit too many times, this bus comes to a screeching halt.

The other thing Clady has going for him is the NFL left tackle market in general. There are a dozen teams that would happily pay starting (top five money) for him this offseason.

Beantown Bronco
11-05-2012, 07:19 AM

I've been as critical of him as anyone since his injury, but to me, it's not even a question with the way he's been playing. I can't think of 5 guys I'd rather have than him.

He's most certainly worth top 3-5 money.

Smiling Assassin27
11-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Those two guys have to be cornerstones of the franchise. Bowlen's always ponied up when guys have earned their keep. We're probably gonna have to give the DB kids a bump if they stay on this trajectory as well.

baja
11-05-2012, 09:01 AM
I've been as critical of him as anyone since his injury, but to me, it's not even a question with the way he's been playing. I can't think of 5 guys I'd rather have than him.

He's most certainly worth top 3-5 money.

They already offered him that. The issue was guaranteed money if I remember correctly.

gyldenlove
11-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Von Miller is very difficult to project, his position (43 SLB) is one of the lowest paid positions in football, on the other hand pass rushers tend to get paid very well as evidenced by Mario Williams or Elvis Dumervil or Freeney. Right now I would put Miller on a contract similar to that of Demarcus Ware, 7 years, 80 million with about half guaranteed in some way. Ware signed his contract in 2009, so inflation should increase it a bit, but Miller plays a slightly less prestigious position in a 4-3 rather than 3-4 so it should balance.

Beantown Bronco
11-05-2012, 09:23 AM
They already offered him that. The issue was guaranteed money if I remember correctly.

From rotoworld:

Broncos LT Ryan Clady rejected the Broncos' five-year, $50 million contract offer due to concerns on the guarantees over the first three years.

The $28 million guaranteed over the first three years wouldn't put Clady in the same ballpark as the $37M in Browns LT Joe Thomas' contract. The Clady camp believes his production, when healthy, has been on par with that of Thomas and Dolphins LT Jake Long. Denver can wield the franchise tag next offseason (for around $9.5 mil).

gyldenlove
11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
From rotoworld:

Broncos LT Ryan Clady rejected the Broncos' five-year, $50 million contract offer due to concerns on the guarantees over the first three years.

The $28 million guaranteed over the first three years wouldn't put Clady in the same ballpark as the $37M in Browns LT Joe Thomas' contract. The Clady camp believes his production, when healthy, has been on par with that of Thomas and Dolphins LT Jake Long. Denver can wield the franchise tag next offseason (for around $9.5 mil).

I do think we will tag him and then negotiate a deal during the summer like we have done before with several players. The Broncos have traditionally not been a team to use the franchise tag to make players go year by year.

baja
11-05-2012, 09:40 AM
I do think we will tag him and then negotiate a deal during the summer like we have done before with several players. The Broncos have traditionally not been a team to use the franchise tag to make players go year by year.

I think they used it on Elam but other than that I don't remember another (Pryce?)

razorwire77
11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Broncos or not, Von Miller will be the highest paid LB in the league. Broncos or not, Clady will most likely be paid as a top 3 LT in the league.

Because of the rookie salary cap, I think you can sign both, but it will be tough. Restructuring Champ's contract and Doom's contract will probably be something that will have to be considered.

Beantown Bronco
11-05-2012, 10:00 AM
It's been awhile. Prater was the first to get tagged by the Broncos in the last 10 years and he only had it for a few months while they negotiated his extension this past summer.

mr007
11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
You have seen the kind of protection Manning has been getting while throwing the ball, right??? Last I heard, Clady was the only LT in the game that hadn't allowed a sack to this point in the season (I could be mistaken). No way you get rid of the guy protecting the most vital part of this team.

baja
11-05-2012, 12:10 PM
You have seen the kind of protection Manning has been getting while throwing the ball, right??? Last I heard, Clady was the only LT in the game that hadn't allowed a sack to this point in the season (I could be mistaken). No way you get rid of the guy protecting the most vital part of this team.

Didn't get the memo? It's all about Manning getting rid of the ball quickly. Hell lets sign Foster for the vet minimum, that's all we need at LT.

Houshyamama
11-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Let's only have Von Miller on the roster in 2016. We'll just give him all the money.

BroncoMan4ever
11-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Broncos or not, Von Miller will be the highest paid LB in the league. Broncos or not, Clady will most likely be paid as a top 3 LT in the league.

Because of the rookie salary cap, I think you can sign both, but it will be tough. Restructuring Champ's contract and Doom's contract will probably be something that will have to be considered.

How much longer do fans expect Champ to play. He is in his 14th season. He is signed for 2 more after this year. If he continues to play it won't be at his current cap number. Doom will get a restructured deal once his guaranteed mobey is paid out. DJ and his bad contract will be gone. Peyton's deal will be nearly over or him retired. Money will be just fine to keep our own.

DBroncos4life
11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
How much longer do fans expect Champ to play. He is in his 14th season. He is signed for 2 more after this year. If he continues to play it won't be at his current cap number. Doom will get a restructured deal once his guaranteed mobey is paid out. DJ and his bad contract will be gone. Peyton's deal will be nearly over or him retired. Money will be just fine to keep our own.

Barber is what 38 39? I expect Bailey to play at least that long.

baja
11-05-2012, 01:56 PM
how old was darrel green when he retired?

BroncoLifer
11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
how old was darrel green when he retired?

Incredibly, 42.

DBroncos4life
11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Incredibly, 42.

Bailey said he wants to play that long as well.

BroncoMan4ever
11-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Barber is what 38 39? I expect Bailey to play at least that long.

I'm not saying Champ will be done, but he won't be making 10+ million a season at that age.

Lestat
11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
bump that. sign them both. we'll be far enough under the cap to keep the core together. plus Manning will likely be retired by the time the other guys force us to eat up a ton of cap.

DBroncos4life
11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm not saying Champ will be done, but he won't be making 10+ million a season at that age.

Charles Woodson is making about that. Woodson signed a 5 year 55 million dollar contract at the age of 33. Woodson still has 27 million with bonuses on his contract at the age 37/38. Barber just signed a one year 3 million dollar contract at the age of 37. The year before that Barber signed a one year 4 million dollar contract. So I think you are looking at between 5 to 10 mill a year for Bailey. Just my guess.

Lestat
11-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Bailey said he wants to play that long as well.

good. he is a once in a lifetime CB and he plays for the Broncos.
i want him in uniform for as long as possible.

BroncoMan4ever
11-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Charles Woodson is making about that. Woodson signed a 5 year 55 million dollar contract at the age of 33. Woodson still has 27 million with bonuses on his contract at the age 37/38. Barber just signed a one year 3 million dollar contract at the age of 37. The year before that Barber signed a one year 4 million dollar contract. So I think you are looking at between 5 to 10 mill a year for Bailey. Just my guess.

Woodson's deal signed when he was 33 and Champ's signed at 32. There is a big difference between 32 and getting 10+ million a year and 36-38 getting that deal. Barber's deal is what to look at when Champ's current deal is up. 3-6 million a year is what can be expected for Champ or right around half his current yearly salary

broncosteven
11-05-2012, 07:26 PM

How long did Daryl Green play? I am hoping Champ plays longer!

He can easily play CB another 2-3 years then worry about moving him to FS.

Steve Sewell
11-05-2012, 08:21 PM

About 12 years ago in Retardland where the OP was born.

BroncoMan4ever
11-05-2012, 10:29 PM
How long did Daryl Green play? I am hoping Champ plays longer!

He can easily play CB another 2-3 years then worry about moving him to FS.

Not all guys can go until 42. Green was an anomaly as it is incredibly rare for a guy to play that long. I love Champ, but I think it is unrealistic to expect a player to last into his 40s. If Champ played that pussy Deion Sandera style where he didn't tackle I'd have more hope of Champ playing that long, but Champ tackles like a LB and covers like Deion. Constant poundings from tackling can shorten the length of time he has near the end of a career.

baja
11-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Not all guys can go until 42. Green was an anomaly as it is incredibly rare for a guy to play that long. I love Champ, but I think it is unrealistic to expect a player to last into his 40s. If Champ played that p***Y Deion Sandera style where he didn't tackle I'd have more hope of Champ playing that long, but Champ tackles like a LB and covers like Deion. Constant poundings from tackling can shorten the length of time he has near the end of a career.

What you say is true but if anyone can do it it's Champ.

Did you watch his play yesterday? Sure Green got the best of him a few times be he is a top 3 receiver, he gets the best of every corner at times. Some more than others and Champ held him in check pretty good.

The Joker
11-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Champ seems to me the type that will take a team friendly deal to finish his career in Denver, I think that if he wants to play beyond 2014 we'll be able to work something reasonable out, especially if Manning is still here and has us contending.

As for Miller and Clady, both will be getting long term deals.

When his time to negotiate comes Von will (barring injury) be one of the best players in the NFL. He already is. He's young, versatile, elite and high character. Those players don't become free agents. He'll likely get a deal that will be the biggest a linebacker has ever gotten in the NFL, and he'll be worth every penny.

Clady's not going anywhere either. We've got Peyton Manning for what is likely a 2-4 year window. The goal for every one of those years is going to be winning the Superbowl, and if we're going to succeed it's going to be largely due to our HOF quarterback.

The idea that we'd let one of the best offensive tackles in the game walk away at this point is laughable, if it happens I'll finally buy into the idea that Bowlen is broke because from a footballing perspective it'd be about the stupidest thing we could do. After Manning and Von he's our next most important player IMO, he absolutely has to be signed long term.