PDA

View Full Version : Did Manning just become the comeback king?

Kaylore
11-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't this make it number 48 for fourth quarter comebacks?

IHaveALight
11-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Yep

Rock Chalk
11-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Not for nothing but this one seems kind of cheap.

Kaylore
11-04-2012, 01:58 PM

How so?

Rock Chalk
11-04-2012, 02:01 PM
How so?

Well, the "comeback" was 4 points in the beginning of the 4th quarter in a game that any sane person really knew the outcome of anyway.

It's not like it was a game ending winning TD drive that won it for him.

Hamrob
11-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Well, the "comeback" was 4 points in the beginning of the 4th quarter in a game that any sane person really knew the outcome of anyway.

It's not like it was a game ending winning TD drive that won it for him.I'm not sure how you can say that. The Bengals are a good football team and came to play. We are very fortunate to have won that game. We are going to see another very good football team next week on the road...I hope we don't overlook that team either.

colorado jones
11-04-2012, 02:35 PM

A comeback is a comeback.

Beantown Bronco
11-04-2012, 02:44 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TDWYx3LVrPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lestat
11-04-2012, 02:45 PM
A comeback is a comeback.

you'd think this would be common sense. apparently it is not to some.

Beantown Bronco
11-04-2012, 02:48 PM
The Broncos have outscored opponents 103-23 in the fourth quarter, best in the league.

RedskinBronco
11-04-2012, 02:53 PM
You know what is comforting? I knew they would come back and win today. No way was Manning going to have those 2 picks define this game; he was pissed.

broncosteven
11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
I jokingly mentioned this in the gameday thread.

Kaylore
11-04-2012, 03:46 PM
You know what is comforting? I knew they would come back and win today. No way was Manning going to have those 2 picks define this game; he was pissed.

I know what you mean. If we're close in the third quarter I am feeling confident. If we score 24, I'm outright cocky.

spiralism
11-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure how you can say that. The Bengals are a good football team and came to play. We are very fortunate to have won that game. We are going to see another very good football team next week on the road...I hope we don't overlook that team either.

The panthers are a bit underrated but i would not use the term "very good team" to describe them, they are 2-6 after all

broncosteven
11-04-2012, 04:39 PM
The panthers are a bit underrated but i would not use the term "very good team" to describe them, they are 2-6 after all

So this makes kFc tied with the Jags for worst record in the league!

Pick Six
11-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Rock Chalk has a point. What makes this a comeback? Denver was rolling, lost the lead, and it was back and forth from there...

baja
11-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Rock Chalk has a point. What makes this a comeback? Denver was rolling, lost the lead, and it was back and forth from there...
Because we came back in the fourth quarter, the very definition of come back in the NFL.

tsiguy96
11-04-2012, 05:34 PM

entering down in the 4th quarter, and then winning.

Pick Six
11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah, well...It's still weak sauce, IMO. Carry on...

RhymesayersDU
11-04-2012, 05:48 PM
I see what Alec is saying. I mean, a comeback is a comeback, but it wasn't some epic classic 4th quarter or anything.

Action
11-04-2012, 05:50 PM
So a normal quarterback, and people would be pleased with a 4th qtr comeback.

But since it's Manning, it's weak right?

Do his TD's count for 5 points?

If you think comebacks should be determined by some different standard, then the whole 4th quarter comeback statistic would be completely different.

theAPAOps5
11-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure how you can say that. The Bengals are a good football team and came to play. We are very fortunate to have won that game. We are going to see another very good football team next week on the road...I hope we don't overlook that team either.

LOL Panthers are not good. They have talented players, but as a team they are subpar

Action
11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
LOL Panthers are not good. They have talented players, but as a team they are subpar

It's a road game, and Panthers have loss by less than a touchdown in all their games outside of 1. The game they lost was a Thursday night game too.

They should have beat the Falcons minus a some bull**** happening at the end of the game. And Chicago.

We should win, but I don't think this is by any means a cake walk.

Houshyamama
11-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Because we were behind in the fourth quarter (we had fewer points than the other team [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/less]), and then we finished the game with MORE (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/more) points than the other team.

DENVERDUI55
11-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Call it what ever you want to. 31 to 20 win in my book.

broncosteven
11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Yeah, well...It's still weak sauce, IMO. Carry on...

It is no different that a save situation in baseball.

Agamemnon
11-04-2012, 08:15 PM

No he doesn't have a point, and the fact that you think he does is kind of sad.

ChampJesusBailey
11-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Manning broke the comeback record against the Chargers AFAIK.

I think the 47 mark was game winning drives or something.

errand
11-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Wow, orangemaners can't even enjoy an 8 point win or 3 game winning streak without b****ing about something.....

broncosteven
11-04-2012, 08:33 PM
No he doesn't have a point, and the fact that you think he does is kind of sad.

Are you this miserable in real life?

errand
11-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Are you this miserable in real life?

the evidence would suggest he is.....

Pick Six
11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I know. It's just arguing semantics. I love the win, but I just don't put it in the same category as, say, The Drive. That's all I was saying. Calling him the Comeback King is meaningless. I just call him Peyton MF Manning...

Bronco Yoda
11-04-2012, 08:52 PM
A comeback is a comeback. Cincy played us harder than I thought they would. We fell behind and PM came through. Sweet!

baja
11-04-2012, 08:56 PM
I know. It's just arguing semantics. I love the win, but I just don't put it in the same category as, say, The Drive. That's all I was saying. Calling him the Comeback King is meaningless. I just call him Peyton MF Manning...

Elway has comebacks on record that were similar in nature.

It's a record and records have parameters used as qualifiers

CEH
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM

6 for 6 for 69 yards and 2 TDs to go from 3 down to 11 up

There is nothing cheap about being perfect when the game is on the line

Kaylore
11-04-2012, 09:13 PM

This isn't a thread about what his nickname should be.

IHaveALight
11-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Yes it technically was a comeback. But I completely agree with those who are downplaying the comeback. After all we only trailed in this game for what a total of a minute and a half? This comeback was more the result of a momentary lapse in execution than anything else. Other than that we were in control the whole game.

Al Wilson
11-04-2012, 11:18 PM
This guy is clutch. Whenever the pressure is on he is money. I love this team, thanks Elway you're the greatest !

LongDongJohnson
11-04-2012, 11:38 PM
We were only down 3 with tons of time left but still, manning made some huge plays. He was money on third down.

theAPAOps5
11-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Manning broke the comeback record against the Chargers AFAIK.

I think the 47 mark was game winning drives or something.

No, he tied Dan Marino at 47. Today with his comeback (or score in the wee minutes of the fourth to erase a 3 point deficit and become positively tilted in favor of winning the aforementioned game, but was too soon to be called a comeback as there is a magical timeline for when the fourth quarter is actually a "fourth quarter" come back that only level 47 dwarfen giants is aware of, situation). I mean really, either way you say it, it is just semantics.

But in the stat books, which has no bias towards mythical space-time relationships, it was his 48th "comeback"

The Joker
11-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Yep, you can bet that Elway and Marino had plenty of comebacks that were far from epic as well.

Congrats to him.

Rock Chalk
11-05-2012, 06:06 AM

Im not interested in the idiot over-reactionist opinions of you retards on here.

That game was never in doubt. I never had a feeling that we were going to lose.

ChampJesusBailey
11-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Im not interested in the idiot over-reactionist opinions of you retards on here.

Fortunately for Peyton Manning Comeback King, statistic validity doesn't sway entirely on your opinion.

baja
11-05-2012, 06:23 AM

So what does that say about you posting 29,750 times on a site full of, according to you, retards???

Kaylore
11-05-2012, 07:09 AM

And I am uninterested in a qualitative argument about the degree of awesomness a comeback has. I am just trying to determine if statistically Manning now owns the record for most fourth quarter comebacks. On sportscenter they were saying he tied Marino, but I thought he did that on MNF football, so I don't know.

bowtown
11-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Just another stat-padding garbage time win from Manning. Carry on.

baja
11-05-2012, 07:57 AM
LOL good one ;D

CEH
11-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Just another stat-padding garbage time win from Manning. Carry on.

Game was never in doubt because of our dominate turnover generating defense and the dominate running game that was marching up and down the field all game. Any QB could direct this Ferrari offense

baja
11-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Game was never in doubt because of our dominate turnover generating defense and the dominate running game that was marching up and down the field all game. Any QB could direct this Ferrari offense

Kidding aside this was a very important win for us. Early game, playing a good team in a must win situation, behind in the forth quarter with the opponent finding new energy in a must win game, us not playing great (dropped balls) yet still finding a way to win. This says a lot about our team this year.

Any other qb not named Elway or Manning and we lose this game IMO

gyldenlove
11-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Kidding aside this was a very important win for us. Early game, playing a good team in a must win situation, behind in the forth quarter with the opponent finding new energy in a must win game, us not playing great (dropped balls) yet still finding a way to win. This says a lot about our team this year.

I believe that yesterday is exactly how you should play a game like that, we were up against a team we knew we should beat and we played comfortably good enough to win and maintain control of the game. The offense was good enough, special teams were good enough and defense was good enough - as Bubblegum Tate would say, a globetrotter always saves the good football for the final minute.

We don't need to dominate every game like we did against New Orleans, we just need to be good enough to beat lesser opponents and then save the dominance for good opponents.

I was never really nervous about the win yesterday after we went up 10-3, we overcame some individual mistakes and just kept on moving along.

Kaylore
11-05-2012, 08:45 AM

This the type of game good teams win and average teams lose. On the road, facing adversity, we found a way to win and didn't panic.

CEH
11-05-2012, 09:38 AM
This the type of game good teams win and average teams lose. On the road, facing adversity, we found a way to win and didn't panic.

Because #18 doesn't panic and now it seems based on some of the opinions here commonplace that what we watch every week is the norm or ho hum

broncosteven
11-05-2012, 09:42 AM
And I am uninterested in a qualitative argument about the degree of awesomness a comeback has. I am just trying to determine if statistically Manning now owns the record for most fourth quarter comebacks. On sportscenter they were saying he tied Marino, but I thought he did that on MNF football, so I don't know.

The answer is somewhere in the gray area between "F'ing" and "Gay"

DBroncos4life
11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Technically while you had sex; it wasn't the best she ever had so why should it count?

Beantown Bronco
11-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Technically while you had sex; it wasn't the best she ever had so why should it count?

Depends. Did smurf's roommate walk in just before it was about to get good?

DBroncos4life
11-05-2012, 09:50 AM

Really all i can do is laugh. Well played sir.

mr007
11-05-2012, 10:18 AM
What I liked most is Manning not backing down - he went at the exact same guy that picked him twice and had trust that Decker was going to come down with the catch in a 1on1. I know it's Peyton, but just saying most Quarterbacks in this league would have lost a bit of trust or shied away from that throw.

baja
11-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Because #18 doesn't panic and now it seems based on some of the opinions here commonplace that what we watch every week is the norm or ho hum

No Kidding

I love the comments saying "I was never worried".

I was worried but that is what makes me such a damn good fan. ;D

Kaylore
11-05-2012, 10:28 AM

:spit:

baja
11-05-2012, 10:29 AM
:spit:

I must have missed that thread???

broncosteven
11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Peyton-Manning-Denver-Broncos-now-the-alltime-comeback-king-110512

Cito Pelon
11-08-2012, 10:36 AM
They were saying on the radio Manning knew it was record setting, because he ran down the field and got the ball from Dreessen after the TD pass.