PDA

View Full Version : Hypocrisy in playing the Giants game in NJ?

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 09:35 AM
When Katrina happened, the Saints were forced to lose a home game by playing at the Giants. This gave the Giants an extra home game that season.

Now here we are several years later and the shoe is on the other foot, Except, the Giants are not going to lose their home game, forcing the Pittsburgh Steelers to fly to NY the day of the game.

Also, Mayor Bloomberg had been taking a beating for going forward with the marathon. Meanwhile, New Jersey had it much worse where the storm is concerned, and the reaction to having a football game in NJ, isn't nearly as volatile as it was for having a marathon in NYC. And many of the people involved with running marathons are volunteers.

Anyone else see the hypocricy here?

Ironlung
11-04-2012, 09:45 AM
The Giants are the nfl, and media darlings. They wouldn't dream of taking a home game away from them.

Bacchus
11-04-2012, 09:46 AM
When Katrina happened, the Saints were forced to lose a home game by playing at the Giants. This gave the Giants an extra home game that season.

Now here we are several years later and the shoe is on the other foot, Except, the Giants are not going to lose their home game, forcing the Pittsburgh Steelers to fly to NY the day of the game.

Also, Mayor Bloomberg had been taking a beating for going forward with the marathon. Meanwhile, New Jersey had it much worse where the storm is concerned, and the reaction to having a football game in NJ, isn't nearly as volatile as it was for having a marathon in NYC. And many of the people involved with running marathons are volunteers.

Really? Idiot much??

You realize there were homeless people living in the Superdome at the time of the game. Plus the Superdome's dome wasn't so super at that time.

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Really? Idiot much??

You realize there were homeless people living in the Superdome at the time of the game. Plus the Superdome's dome wasn't so super at that time.

You shouldnt repeat every word you hear in the sandbox.

That accounts for why the game wasnt played at a neutral venue, how?

Oy vay. I had a feeling someone would see the first paragraph and make a stupid response. The only question was how long it would take. Well done, bacchus.

canadianbroncosfan
11-04-2012, 09:52 AM

The Superdome was housing evacuees and was leaking. It's not quite the same circumstances

RedskinBronco
11-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Mara is BFF with Goodell. Giants get whatever they want, including bull **** salary cap penalties on the cowboys/skins.

**** Mara, Goodell and their hypocrisy.

RhymesayersDU
11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I agree with you guys, unicorns DO exist.

Oh, I thought we were just making random things up.

beardedwonder
11-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Giant stadium is completely fine...
The coast is what got messed up. Giant stadium is pretty far inland even though its in a swamp

Plus what's been said about the absence of homeless people.

Plus its like. 3-4 hr drive from pitt to nj..

But yea the media loveees the giants because they deserve it.. (Like all superbowl winners do. Look at the packers and pitt)

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Giant stadium is completely fine...
The coast is what got messed up. Giant stadium is pretty far inland even though its in a swamp

Plus what's been said about the absence of homeless people.

It's not diverting resources that could be used other places? That was one of the main arguments against the marathon even though a marathon uses a greater number of volunteers. And NYC wasn't even as bad as NJ.

And once again, saying the SuperDome was housing homeless people (although that should really be verified first), doesn't account for why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to having the game at a neutral site.

beardedwonder
11-04-2012, 11:50 AM
It's not diverting resources that could be used other places? That was one of the main arguments against the marathon even though a marathon uses a greater number of volunteers. And NYC wasn't even as bad as NJ.

And once again, saying the SuperDome was housing homeless people (although that should really be verified first), doesn't account for why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to having the game at a neutral site.

Wow... yes there were people living in the superdome when they lost their home a few weeks after katrina. The fact ur disputing this really makes me feel like you just wanted to whine.

The non coastal area didnt have that much damage besides trees and powerlines down.
The coast has a 10' storm surge which affected part of thr Marathon route.

Meck77
11-04-2012, 11:52 AM
You can never please all the people all the time....

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Wow... yes there were people living in the superdome when they lost their home a few weeks after katrina. The fact ur disputing this really makes me feel like you just wanted to whine.

Im not really disputing it but Im not really sure it's accurate. The Saints did play some home games that year.

Also, Im still waiting on how why the Giants got an extra home game as opposed to playing that game on a neutral field. Feel free to answer that any time. Even if your premise that people were living in the SuperDome is correct, you still haven't addressed this.

The non coastal area didnt have that much damage besides trees and powerlines down.
The coast has a 10' storm surge which affected part of thr Marathon route.

Bloomberg thought it could be done without diverting resources. Obviously, what you mentioned was not the issue. Bloomberg caved to all the complaining--complaining that didn't exist for the NFL game.

rbackfactory80
11-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Yes but only because they claim they are the NY Giants.

chickennob2
11-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Here's the NFL's thought process:

1. Can we hold the game at the original stadium?
2. We can't? Where can we logistically hold and sell tickets to a game with such short notice?

With Katrina, the answer to 1. was no, and the only realistic answer to 2. was Giants Stadium. With Sandy, the answer to 1. was yes, so they stopped there.

It's not about competitive advantage, it's about logistics.

RhymesayersDU
11-04-2012, 12:57 PM

2. We can't? Where can we logistically hold and sell tickets to a game with such short notice?

With Katrina, the answer to 1. was no, and the only realistic answer to 2. was Giants Stadium. With Sandy, the answer to 1. was yes, so they stopped there.

Nah bro, it's just an East-coast bias.

/rolleyes

Beantown Bronco
11-04-2012, 01:21 PM
orangese7ven

do yourself a favor and delete this thread

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
orangese7ven

do yourself a favor and delete this thread

I will if you go find some cyanide. Ill just point out that you're the guy who like Moreno. :spit:

SonOfLe-loLang
11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Is this a serious thread?

SonOfLe-loLang
11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I will if you go find some cyanide. Ill just point out that you're the guy who like Moreno. :spit:

BURN

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Of course, they'd sell more tickets if they have the game in NY than at a neutral venue. But, especially given that the vast majority of the leagues revenue comes from TV contracts, he's also obligated to ensure fair play. Giving a team a home game instead of a road game is hardly doing that.

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Is this a serious thread?

Do you seriously like Bill Simmons?

RhymesayersDU
11-04-2012, 01:37 PM
The OrangeMane: where we debate topics from events that happened 7 years ago!

SonOfLe-loLang
11-04-2012, 01:41 PM

BURN AGAIN!

By the way, why is it poison to like Bill Simmons? He's an entertaining guy. I don't think he's some sort of expert, but I like his articles.

RhymesayersDU
11-04-2012, 01:53 PM
BURN AGAIN!

By the way, why is it poison to like Bill Simmons? He's an entertaining guy. I don't think he's some sort of expert, but I like his articles.

Because haven't you heard? Joe OrangeMane knows everything about football, and sports writers know nothing about football. The proof is right here in this very thread!

houghtam
11-04-2012, 02:01 PM
DOOOOOOOOOOOOONT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE

LOL @ Stupid thread

bowtown
11-04-2012, 02:08 PM

My suggestion is to just stop while you are way behind.

MortonToMoses
11-04-2012, 02:12 PM

They're coming in from Pittsburgh, for God's sake. Not exactly like coming in from Seattle.

cutthemdown
11-04-2012, 02:15 PM
NO stadium fell apart. No comparison because NY stadium seems to be in good shape.

Beantown Bronco
11-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Help. Seek it.

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 02:41 PM
My suggestion is to just stop while you are way behind.

Im not interested in your suggestion.

bowtown
11-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Im not interested in your suggestion.

Can lead a horse to water...

rbackfactory80
11-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Can lead a horse to water...

Can't make horse think?

TonyR
11-04-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't think Orangese7en knows what "hypocricy" is. He clearly can't spell it...

Lev Vyvanse
11-04-2012, 03:24 PM
No one was living in the Superdome at the time. They also didn't play a game in the Superdome that entire season.

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 03:32 PM
No one was living in the Superdome at the time. They also didn't play a game in the Superdome that entire season.

Very good. And someone actually got defensive when I said this should be verified.

The 2005 New Orleans Saints season began with the team trying to improve from their 88 record from 2004. The Saints played two preseason games in the Louisiana Superdome before being forced to evacuate New Orleans due to Hurricane Katrina. They played the rest of the season on the road, splitting their games between their temporary headquarters at San Antonio's Alamodome, and LSU's Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, and even playing their first home game at Giants Stadium. The season ended with the firing of Jim Haslett.

It's kind of coming back now. The SuperDome wasn't in condition to have home games. So, arbitrarily they gave the Giants an extra home game, after which point, they put them in venues that were kind of in their region (but not their home per se).

So this dismisses all of these comments about it being occupied as crap. But it's not really surprising since almost no one also bothered to read past the first paragraph. Even if you grant them their erroneous premise, they still have issues to account for. Typical Mane, addle-minded, driveby discussion.

Beantown Bronco
11-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Typical Mane, addle-minded, driveby discussion.

If you hate it so much....

DBroncos4life
11-04-2012, 05:38 PM
If you hate it so much....

I love it when posters that clearly think they are better then everyone else starts a dumb thread and gets pissed people didn't make them mayor of the day for their ideas

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I love it when posters that clearly think they are better then everyone else starts a dumb thread and gets pissed people didn't make them mayor of the day for their ideas

It might comfort you to know that dumbasses like you have lowered my expectations significantly. So carry on.

DBroncos4life
11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
It might comfort you to know that dumbasses like you have lowered my expectations significantly. So carry on.

Pretty much DOOOONNNNTTTTTTT CAAAAAARRRRRREEEE!

RhymesayersDU
11-04-2012, 05:44 PM
It's kind of coming back now. The SuperDome wasn't in condition to have home games. So, arbitrarily they gave the Giants an extra home game, after which point, they put them in venues that were kind of in their region (but not their home per se).

I don't know how arbitrary it was. The Saints regular season started like this:
September 11, 2005 at Carolina Panthers
September 19, 2005 vs. New York Giants
September 25, 2005 at Minnesota Vikings
October 2, 2005 vs. Buffalo Bills

My point is, I would imagine that they couldn't get the venue logistics worked out in time for the NYG home opening game, but by the Oct. 2 Buffalo home game, they were able to have them relocated.

Or we could just continue to wear our tinfoil hats. Either way.

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Pretty much DOOOONNNNTTTTTTT CAAAAAARRRRRREEEE!

Good. Carry on, dumbass!