PDA

View Full Version : Key Matchup: Champ vs Green

Bacchus
11-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Last year against Denver Green 10 receptions for 124 yards and a touchdown.

Champ did not play that game. The only way the Bengals can beat the Broncos this week is if Green has another big day.

How is Champ going to fair against the 2nd year Pro Bowler?

Bacchus
11-03-2012, 02:49 AM
Champ still a challenge

Green gears up to face fellow former Bulldog
http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20121103&Category=SPT02&ArtNo=311020143&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Champ-still-challenge
A.J. Green had 10 receptions against Denver last year – but didn't face Bailey. / AP

Written by
Joe Reedy
Champ Bailey is in his 14th season in the NFL. / US PRESSWIRE

bengals vs. broncos
1 p.m. Sunday, at Paul Brown Stadium
TV: CBS Radio: WLW-AM (700)

The last time A.J. Green was held to a single catch in an NFL game, he had a career high in receptions the following week. If history is going to repeat itself on Sunday, it will be a tougher challenge.
Green had 10 receptions in last year’s Week 2 loss at Denver, but Champ Bailey missed that game due to a hamstring injury. Both will be matched up together this time in a battle of former University of Georgia standouts.
There is quite a bit of age difference though. Green is in his second season while Bailey is in his 14th. Offfensive coordinator Jay Gruden said on Thursday he thinks that Bailey may have more Pro Bowl appearances (11) than years that Green has been playing organized football.

It is a very long and good article.
Rest of Article: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121103/SPT02/311020143/Champ-still-challenge?odyssey=nav|head

DivineLegion
11-03-2012, 07:37 AM
I think they will move Green around a lot in order to get him away from Champ. The key matchup is going to be Tony Carter vs Green.

Bacchus
11-03-2012, 09:59 AM
I think they will move Green around a lot in order to get him away from Champ. The key matchup is going to be Tony Carter vs Green.

I think Denver is going to have Champ follow Green around. Green is the most important person on the field for the Bengals. 30% of all passes are thrown to Green alone and he leads the league in TDs. If Denver shuts him down Denver wins. Therefore Champ will go where Green goes.

Agamemnon
11-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I honestly expect Champ to do what he pretty much always does to #1 receivers, namely shut them down. That said, I don't believe he's going to be in man on Green all day, so the reception number part could well be off.

TheChamp24
11-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Call me crazy, but I think the key matchups are more our LB's/Safeties vs. Gresham and Carter/Harris vs. Hawkins.

Broncobiv
11-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Doesn't Champ almost always stay on the left side of the defense rather than shadow the other team's #1 WR? (I think we have this discussion every time Denver faces a big-name WR)

Bacchus
11-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Doesn't Champ almost always stay on the left side of the defense rather than shadow the other team's #1 WR? (I think we have this discussion every time Denver faces a big-name WR)

He does usually, unless the WR is Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens or AJ Green.

The other Bengal WRs are not very good. The TEs are decent but Denver should be able to handle them. BenJarvis Green has been horrible. It's all on AJ Green's shoulders.

Sassy
11-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Peyton is 7-0 vs. the Bengals.

CEH
11-03-2012, 10:32 AM
After Andre Johnson torched Denver on that long TD JDR put Champ on AJ the rest of the game and he didn't do anything until the critical 3rd and 5 and AJ beat Champ for a first down and the game clincher

You gotta stick Champ on AJ all game and force Dalton to attack Champ or find someone else

I like TC as a sticky man and Harris can man the other side

swaiy
11-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Last game, Champ followed Colston around the entire time.

TheReverend
11-03-2012, 10:52 AM
He'll have help over the top. AJ's too good not to.

Bacchus
11-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Last game, Champ followed Colston around the entire time.

Colston 5 receptions 63 yards ZERO TDs

ZONA
11-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I honestly expect Champ to do what he pretty much always does to #1 receivers, namely shut them down. That said, I don't believe he's going to be in man on Green all day, so the reception number part could well be off.

Yeah, I'm not going to look at total receptions for Green and count them all against Champ if he's not going to cover him on every single pass play the Bengals run. And let's not forge the pass rush has a huge part in this. If we get some pressure, surely will affect how well the Bengals can execute the passes.

Green is a great WR though, I don't think we'll shut him down. But I like our chances at slowing him down.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 03:24 PM

HE used to do that lately they have asked him to go after the WR stud the other team has..

No sense in him sitting over there all day and never seeing the ball near him.. a waste of talent..

Make the QB-WR beat him which is unlikely to happen consistently.. that means the other DB's have to be able to shut down their players..

lonestar
11-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Peyton is 7-0 vs. the Bengals.

means zip with a new team, scheme against a team he has not played in a long time..

Rock Chalk
11-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Usually but if the game plan dictates it (i.e., they are just having success lining their best WR opposite side of the field as champ) then Champ wll shadow him.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 06:05 PM
This no longer your grandmas defense we have a new head man in charge of setting policy.

Why all the others allowed Champ to be irrelevant is beyond me. so he shuts down their #2-3 receiver. BFD. By doing that the OC takes Champs play making away from our defense and the #1 guy or slot guy depending on scheme goes bug ****.

Now allow him to make plays because the likelihood of the number one guys getting the ball is better. If he makes the plays then there are more three and outs.

Never understood why anyone before now did not do this. It makes the other OCs work harder.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Let me add the only valid reasons it was not done before was Champ did not want to and they were pussies..
Or we flat did not have a decent #2-3 guy to cover the other guys.

swaiy
11-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Colston 5 receptions 63 yards ZERO TDs

Right. Shut down.

The Joker
11-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I'll be very surprised if he doesn't shadow him all game, there's literally no good reason to not do so.

Green is an incredible talent so I don't expect Champ will shut him down completely. I'll be shocked if he goes off though, I'd say something like 5 receptions for 70 yards would be a good guess.

Should be a wonderful battle to watch if we do have Champ shadow him, two fantastic players.

swaiy
11-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I'll be very surprised if he doesn't shadow him all game, there's literally no good reason to not do so.

Green is an incredible talent so I don't expect Champ will shut him down completely. I'll be shocked if he goes off though, I'd say something like 5 receptions for 70 yards would be a good guess.

Should be a wonderful battle to watch if we do have Champ shadow him, two fantastic players.

Battle of the Bulldogs

s0phr0syne
11-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Irrelevant, but illustrative: I'm benching Green in my Yahoo ff.

Agamemnon
11-03-2012, 06:34 PM
He does usually, unless the WR is Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens or AJ Green.

The other Bengal WRs are not very good. The TEs are decent but Denver should be able to handle them. BenJarvis Green has been horrible. It's all on AJ Green's shoulders.

I'd say it's more accurate to say it's all on Andy Dalton's shoulders. The kid is going to be hard-pressed to keep up with Peyton Manning.

Great13
11-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Irrelevant, but illustrative: I'm benching Green in my Yahoo ff.

Unless you're replacing him with someone who might have a monster game... I think you should keep him in. He's too talented to not put up decent numbers. 60- 80 yds maybe a TD. Champ is not going to totally shut him out, because he's a more explosive version of Brandon Lloyd.. he'll make his catches even when covered well.

Agamemnon
11-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Unless you're replacing him with someone who might have a monster game... I think you should keep him in. He's too talented to not put up decent numbers. 60- 80 yds maybe a TD. Champ is not going to totally shut him out, because he's a more explosive version of Brandon Lloyd.. he'll make his catches even when covered well.

I don't think I'd ever start a receiver who was playing against Champ. I've seen Champ take too many great receivers out of games. If Champ covers Green all day, I really don't expect the guy to have more than 4 or 5 receptions and no TD's.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I'd say it's more accurate to say it's all on Andy Dalton's shoulders. The kid is going to be hard-pressed to keep up with Peyton Manning.

:thumbs:

Bacchus
11-03-2012, 08:02 PM

I think Champ will basically shut him down. 4 reception 38 yards.

Kaylore
11-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Champ holds green under 5 receptions, but I think that's partly because Dalton stares down his receivers and Marvin Lewis is horrible coming off a bye.

Broncos4Life
11-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I think Champ will shut green out. He might have 5-6 catches for 60-70 yds.

I believe Champ has had an int every career game he has played in against the Bengals. Carson Palmer picks.... but anyway he's long overdue for one!

Assuming he covers green all game long no matter where he lines up, and with Daltons tendency to force the ball to him(10 picks this year), I feel Champ may have a legit shot at multi pick game. Anyone else on board with this?

lonestar
11-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Champ holds green under 5 receptions, but I think that's partly because Dalton stares down his receivers and Marvin Lewis is horrible coming off a bye.

Wow Marvin still there! I suspect this is his last year ther maybe he can go to CLE. Might even be able to commute..

lonestar
11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
I think Champ will shut green out. He might have 5-6 catches for 60-70 yds.

I believe Champ has had an int every career game he has played in against the Bengals. Carson Palmer picks.... but anyway he's long overdue for one!

Assuming he covers green all game long no matter where he lines up, and with Daltons tendency to force the ball to him(10 picks this year), I feel Champ may have a legit shot at multi pick game. Anyone else on board with this?

Ah shut out means to most folks Zero anything. Sounds like you meant to say hold him to 5-6 catches.

Broncoman13
11-04-2012, 04:57 AM
I think Champ will stay on his side and will cover AJ when he lines up over him... When AJ is on the other side we will use Harris and Moore in two man. I like this because Dalton will have to either throw into double coverage or throw against Champ. The biggest key will be containing Gresham, hopefully we get more Trevathan in coverage!

Broncoman13
11-04-2012, 05:07 AM
AJ Green is a stud, you leave Champ on an island with Green, Green will get past him. That is why I like the 2 man against Green and using our 2nd corner with a safety over top. Harris or Carter can cut off the short routes and not have to worry so much about the deep ball. The only way they can make us come out of two man is running the ball effectively. If they run the ball right at Doom effectively then Moore will have to come up. Champ against the Bengals 2nd receiver takes Hawkins away completely. Anyhow, if Dalton is having to throw the ball into DC to get the ball to Green... I like our chances!

Remember, Champ played on an island last year against Megatron... Didn't work out to well including a long TD on Champ. AJ is a similar style player that can really high point a ball.

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 05:31 AM
It depends on where they try to get Green the ball. If it's downfield, then our pass rush is in play. One of the reasons Carter and Harris have been so important in recent weeks is because they've been good at competing against the short-intermediate stuff that teams tend to throw when avoiding a pass rush.

The other factor, of course, is the offense scoring points. The eastern time zone thing is a real concern. I'm a little worried that the offense will be somewhat out of sync and Cincy will be able to play their game. I worry that a lot of failed third down conversions by our offense, early in the game, will give Cincy a chance to get their offense going and then the team will, once again, try to rally from behind.

CEH
11-04-2012, 03:36 PM
I gotta say Green won the CHamp v Green matchup but that's not a slight on Champ. I think Green is a top 3 WR right there with Megatron and Fitz

He's a young stud only getting better

extralife
11-04-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't think I'd ever start a receiver who was playing against Champ. I've seen Champ take too many great receivers out of games. If Champ covers Green all day, I really don't expect the guy to have more than 4 or 5 receptions and no TD's.

aaaaand the lesson, as always: don't bench your studs

g6matty
11-04-2012, 03:39 PM
yea unfortunately i was the only one who voted the correct answer! :P

(i realise he had 7 catches but AJ dominated champ the entire game)

Broncos4Life
11-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Nice int by the Champ! I called it! Always taking care of business against the Bungles.

canadianbroncosfan
11-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Still satisfied with my vote for "Who cares as long as Denver wins"

Bacchus
11-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Green did not dominate Champ. They battled all day long.

TonyR
11-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Dan Dierdorf had an orgasm over A.J. Green beating Champ Bailey on a long pass early in the first quarter, but what he didn't tell you is that Green pushed off in order to get any separation. That's a negative--on Dierdorf. The play in which Bailey gave up the touchdown to Green? Bailey was playing inside leverage, so the route call was going to be a nightmare from the beginning. Bailey got beat on a few other occasions, but not on these two plays.

Later, Andy Dalton made the mistake of thinking Bailey was a first-year corner and paid the price with an interception. Technically, I have to put Bailey here, but I do it with great reservation. After the game, Bailey rated Green as one of the top three wide receivers in the game. http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reaction-week-9-broncos-at-bengals

WolfpackGuy
11-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Bailey sort of stumbled on the one long pass Green caught. He probably would've broken it up if not for that.

Green's going to get his. It's not like anyone was banking on Bailey shutting him out.

Oh well, chit happens.

CEH
11-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Dan Dierdorf had an orgasm over A.J. Green beating Champ Bailey on a long pass early in the first quarter, but what he didn't tell you is that Green pushed off in order to get any separation. That's a negative--on Dierdorf. The play in which Bailey gave up the touchdown to Green? Bailey was playing inside leverage, so the route call was going to be a nightmare from the beginning. Bailey got beat on a few other occasions, but not on these two plays.

Later, Andy Dalton made the mistake of thinking Bailey was a first-year corner and paid the price with an interception. Technically, I have to put Bailey here, but I do it with great reservation. After the game, Bailey rated Green as one of the top three wide receivers in the game.

Seems like an apolegitic article when anyone with 2 eyes can see the 24 year old freak was competing with the 31 year old CB and won more than he lost

On the TD one on one Green made the play on the ball better than Champ and Champ was beat. Plain and simple. Champ knows it. It's going to happen with superstar WRs.

Bailey's INT was not about Bailey but about the pressure from Ayers.

baja
11-05-2012, 07:20 AM

If you would like to see what "dominate" looks like go watch what Eddie Mac did to that rookie corner in the San Diego game several years ago.

Bacchus
11-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Seems like an apolegitic article when anyone with 2 eyes can see the 24 year old freak was competing with the 31 year old CB and won more than he lost

On the TD one on one Green made the play on the ball better than Champ and Champ was beat. Plain and simple. Champ knows it. It's going to happen with superstar WRs.

Bailey had him covered like a blanket and he caught the ball when it arrived.... sure it was about Champ

Rabb
11-05-2012, 10:59 AM

agree

I wouldn't say Champ was dominated but let's be real here...AJ got the best of him

baja
11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
agree

I wouldn't say Champ was dominated but let's be real here...AJ got the best of him on a few plays

FYP

lonestar
11-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Actually I think it was more about Dalton being pissed about the holding call on his center the play before and not having his head "IN the GAME" when Ayers was a mad dog..

Rabb
11-05-2012, 11:03 AM
FYP

I would agree with that also

bronco militia
11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
If you would like to see what "dominate" looks like go watch what Eddie Mac did to that rookie corner in the San Diego game several years ago.

or what Eddie Royal did to Deangelo Hall in 2008 Ha!

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/09/09/broncos-41-raiders-14-oakland-has-no-answer-for-eddie-royal/

TheChamp24
11-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Please, this isn't like Roc Alexander getting beat.
Champ was right with AJ on several plays. Some passes were thrown perfect.
The TD pass, it looked like Champ was playing for a slant/inside route and AJ just ran a great route to the corner and Dalton made a great throw. Champ had literally no shot, and I question why he was playing the coverage he was actually. Maybe he thought he would be able to recover quickly enough on a fade route.

TheReverend
11-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I would agree with that also

Such is life for a man cover corner.

Losing only a few plays is still losing when you don't have help.

baja
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
or what Eddie Royal did to Deangelo Hall in 2008 Ha!

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/09/09/broncos-41-raiders-14-oakland-has-no-answer-for-eddie-royal/

Ya that's the one. Thanks. ;D

Rabb
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Such is life for a man cover corner.

Losing only a few plays is still losing when you don't have help.

Yep, and in no way am I down on Champ. We won, I will take it.

Bacchus
11-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I watche dthe game again and I noticed that Champs was not covering Green on at least two of his receptions. With all the Green loving around here he did not even have 100 yards receiving. That's pretty good defense by the Broncos.

bronco militia
11-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm sure champ apreciated the attention this week. There are long stretches of games when teams don't even go to his side of the field.

baja
11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I watche dthe game again and I noticed that Champs was not covering Green on at least two of his receptions. With all the Green loving around here he did not even have 100 yards receiving. That's pretty good defense by the Broncos.

But, but, but he made a touchdown. Champ sucks!

TheReverend
11-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Yep, and in no way am I down on Champ. We won, I will take it.

He should've had over the top help.

Bacchus
11-05-2012, 02:03 PM
But, but, but he made a touchdown. Champ sucks!

LOL... Green is a great WR and his presence was felt. On to Carolina and CamNewton!!

extralife
11-05-2012, 02:16 PM
he was only really beat on the TD throw, everything else was good coverage. with the way the game works today, if you take a big, talented receiver--particularly one with Green's ball skills--and deliver him a near perfect pass, there is nothing the defender can do in man coverage.

lonestar
11-05-2012, 04:18 PM
he was only really beat on the TD throw, everything else was good coverage. with the way the game works today, if you take a big, talented receiver--particularly one with Green's ball skills--and deliver him a near perfect pass, there is nothing the defender can do in man coverage.

:thumbs:

Why some of the morons do not get this is beyond me.