PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Early Game

fwf
11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Ive been hearing about this for some years, but is it true? Do we have any cold hard facts to back it up? I wonder if the books are onto it bc I thought the line seemed a little low this week (+3.5).

Its going to be our first 11am start of the season. Not only that but 4 of our 7 games have been night games including the last two. Worth noting. This could be our first cold game as well. Probably mid 40's by kickoff.

I'm expecting a win of course, but may just not bet this week.

DBroncos4life
11-02-2012, 12:37 PM
We are a LB and a RB away from winning a early game.

baja
11-02-2012, 12:39 PM

We traded for Deangelo Williams didn't you know?

DenverBroncosJM
11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Ive been hearing about this for some years, but is it true? Do we have any cold hard facts to back it up? I wonder if the books are onto it bc I thought the line seemed a little low this week (+3.5).

Its going to be our first 11am start of the season. Not only that but 4 of our 7 games have been night games including the last two. Worth noting. This could be our first cold game as well. Probably mid 40's by kickoff.

a +3.5 Line on the road is a +6.5 still to low but..

DBroncos4life
11-02-2012, 12:41 PM
We traded for Deangelo Williams didn't you know?

Crap I forgot.

fwf
11-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Im ready for this my friend

gyldenlove
11-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Teams from the mountain and pacific time zones tend to struggle in the early games if playing in the eastern time zone - it has been known for years and it has been shown but the NFL doesn't really seem to care. The NFL HAS put in rules saying that teams from the Eastern time zone can't travel to the Mountain or Pacific time zones in consecutive weeks for late game starts, but not the other way around.

I believe this team is professional enough to overcome the early game effect.

Broncos_OTM
11-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Homie, you are dead to me.

bronco militia
11-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I can see the broncos crashing back to earth this week. FYI, the time change is Saturday night. set your clocks back an hour

ZZZ...

baja
11-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I can see the broncos crashing back to earth this week. FYI, the time change is Saturday night. set your clocks back an hour

ZZZ...

Ouch! Forgot about that.

RhymesayersDU
11-02-2012, 12:55 PM

ZZZ...

Extra hour of bar time Saturday night, it's like Christmas.

Old Dude
11-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Denver leads this series 18-8 and has won 12 of the last 14.

But only 6-6 when they play in Cincy.

bronco militia
11-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Extra hour of bar time Saturday night, it's like Christmas.

DJ is that you? Ha!

bfoflcommish
11-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Homie, you are dead to me.

and this is why i Love the Mane

fwf
11-02-2012, 01:00 PM

ZZZ...

Me too, but everything's different with 18. Check this.. Peyton and the Colts won no fewer then 12 games his last 7 season in Indy. That seems unreal to me.
Even Elway had a few 8 and 9 win seasons thrown in there.
Montana won double digit games every season, but there were 4-5 10 win seasons. Brady and the Pats are the only team that can compete with Peyton's run in Indy.

Beantown Bronco
11-02-2012, 01:04 PM
The time change does help a little at least.

fwf
11-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Denver leads this series 18-8 and has won 12 of the last 14.

But only 6-6 when they play in Cincy.

I was at a few of those. In Elways last season he brought us back in the 4th to win.

Then one of the L's happened on my birthday when Dillion set the record.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-02-2012, 01:10 PM
This question is better suited for a source outside of the Mane.

DBroncos4life
11-02-2012, 01:13 PM

He should call his buddy and talk to him about it. How is this troll still able to post?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
For some reason, I feel much more worried about next week @Carolina than I am about this week at Cincy.

Also, I believe Denver's a 3.5 point favorite on the road, not a dog.

Broncos_OTM
11-02-2012, 01:16 PM
and this is why i Love the Mane

Reap what you sow

Broncos_OTM
11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
For some reason, I feel much more worried about next week @Carolina than I am about this week at Cincy.

Cam scaees the bajesus out of me

Broncos_OTM
11-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Im still waiting on the icy river jump.

ludo21
11-02-2012, 01:35 PM
im benching dalton, thats for sure

Greatspirits
11-02-2012, 01:41 PM
We'll be a'ight, Peyton's used to playing in that time zone!

broncosteven
11-02-2012, 01:52 PM

Where is the video of you jumping into a river?

No new threads until you post what you owe us!

Mile High Salute
11-02-2012, 01:53 PM

How does this guy still have an OM account? :clown:

OBF1
11-02-2012, 04:29 PM
A friend of mine, more of a source from dove valley told me.....errrr never mind, We know how this is going to end.

Archedamian
11-02-2012, 06:07 PM
I was at a few of those. In Elways last season he brought us back in the 4th to win.

Then one of the L's happened on my birthday when Dillion set the record.

I was at that game as well.

Bronco Boy
11-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Does the fact that it's an early game mean DeAngelo won't have enough time to get to the stadium?

baja
11-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Does the fact that it's an early game mean DeAngelo won't have enough time to get to the stadium?

I have it on good authority from a friend at Dove Valley he has decided to hold out.

comoose00
11-02-2012, 07:50 PM
but don't forget that this weekend it is not quite eastern time it is more like central time since the clocks roll back Sunday morning.

Lev Vyvanse
11-02-2012, 08:02 PM
but don't forget that this weekend it is not quite eastern time it is more like central time since the clocks roll back Sunday morning.

Dude,

Very profound.

Bacchus
11-02-2012, 11:54 PM

Back to back east coast road games is very tough.

Cito Pelon
11-03-2012, 07:57 PM
How does a two hour time difference really hurt a team's performance?

It's not all that hard to figure out. If you're flying in on a Saturday, you go out for a few drinks, a nice dinner at a nice restaurant, have a good time, you try to get to sleep by midnight, but you might not get to sleep til 0200. Then you get forced to wake up at 0600 to get dressed, catch the bus to the stadium.

It's not necessarily the 2-hour time difference, it's the Saturday flying in and then the welcome-to-town party. Gotta fly in on Friday so they get the party time done with on Friday night and relax on Saturday night and get a decent night's sleep.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 08:01 PM

saw a stat somewhere.. 2-14 in early east coast time zone games.. not good.. we need to reverse that..

let me add that west coast teams playing on the east coast lose more often than not.. so it is not just us.. but we seem to really suck at it..

lonestar
11-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Teams from the mountain and pacific time zones tend to struggle in the early games if playing in the eastern time zone - it has been known for years and it has been shown but the NFL doesn't really seem to care. The NFL HAS put in rules saying that teams from the Eastern time zone can't travel to the Mountain or Pacific time zones in consecutive weeks for late game starts, but not the other way around.

I believe this team is professional enough to overcome the early game effect.

since most of the teams in the NFL are in Eastern time zone.. buf, mia, Ne, NYJ, NYG, WAS, BAL, PIT, PHL, JAX, DET, IND, CIN, ATL, CAR, TPA,

Then we have NOL, CHI, MIN, DAL, HOU, STL, GB, KC all in the central zone..

out west we have SEA, OAK, SFO, SAN, PHX DEN in the west.. does anyone think that those owners will ever change it..

one of the other reasons a lot of broncos have not made it into the HOF.. almost all the voters are in areas we do not play enough games so the voters can see our players..

baja
11-03-2012, 08:22 PM
When you fly West to East it is much more brutal than flying East to West where you are traveling in the same direction as the sun, much easier on the body East to West.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 08:23 PM

:thumbs:

lonestar
11-03-2012, 08:25 PM
When you fly West to East it is much more brutal than flying East to West where you are traveling in the same direction as the sun, much easier on the body East to West.

Plus most of the west coast games are in the afternoon 2pm games or later..

where the east coast games are rarely the late game.. 2PM.. all of them are the early game of very late games on SUN or Mon..

baja
11-03-2012, 08:27 PM
I agree with Cito fly out on Friday when playing an Eastern time zone team.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I agree with Cito fly out on Friday when playing an Eastern time zone team.

then you miss another days practice or game prep as well as another day of healing bumps and bruises in your own home..

I'm guessing you do not travel with your job?

most business men/women that do spend as little time away from home and their own bed as they have to.... less stress and strain with loved ones and your own piece of mind..

this week PIT is flying in in the morning playing the game and flying back home the same day.. not if they beat the giants that will be monumental..

their hotel they were supposed to stay at does not have power yet..

baja
11-03-2012, 08:36 PM
then you miss another days practice or game prep as well as another day of healing bumps and bruises in your own home..

I'm guessing you do not travel with your job?

most business men/women that do spend as little time away from home and their own bed as they have to.... less stress and strain with loved ones and your own piece of mind..

this week PIT is flying in in the morning playing the game and flying back home the same day.. not if they beat the giants that will be monumental..

their hotel they were supposed to stay at does not have power yet..

I used to travel a bunch, enough to know East to West is much easier than the other way around.

Other teams have practice fields you know

Cito Pelon
11-03-2012, 08:47 PM

It's two hours. How is that brutal? Two hours shouldn't make a dang bit of difference, never has to me. Apparently it does to some people, but how it does so is unfathomable to me.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I used to travel a bunch, enough to know East to West is much easier than the other way around.

Other teams have practice fields you know

You are correct going east even anew hours throws the body clock off as does the actual being on the plane when I go to Europe the first day is toast.

Although when I went to Australia the first time took a couple of days together acclimated.

Yes other teams have practice fields but again who knows what cameras are hidden and most teams are not crazy about sharing facilities. Just ruins their fields to have to much traffic on them.

I'm hoping that the owners will vote in that west coast teams mostly will get to play the later 2 pm games when coming east.

But as I noted above most owners will not give up the part of home team advantage.

lonestar
11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
It's two hours. How is that brutal? Two hours shouldn't make a dang bit of difference, never has to me. Apparently it does to some people, but how it does so is unfathomable to me.

Got to reme,her a lot of these guys have odd rituals before games and anything that throws that off cause problems.

I remember a guy talking before the London game this year saying it was nice because the team had an area set up for them weights and equipment that was either their stuff from home or the same as they had.

Seems to appreciate continuity. Dumb as that may seem to you.

Cito Pelon
11-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Carry on. I'm gonna get a good night's sleep for the early game, heh-heh. Then Corned beef hash, over easy eggs, pico de gallo for breakfast. That's a good ritual, eh?

errand
11-03-2012, 10:04 PM
We're a much better team....and have Peyton ****ing Manning...'nuff said.

Broncos 35-20.

not to mention, all this 2-8 record in EST talk is odd, since the Broncos have beaten the Bengals 6 times in 12 games @ Cincinnati....and one of the losses was on a monday night....

OrangeSe7en
11-04-2012, 05:49 AM

Years of data is backing this up. It's very real. It's a factor for teams in the west going east.

fwf
11-04-2012, 07:19 AM

I said I was sorry AND I meant it!