PDA

View Full Version : Where Does DJ Fit When He Returns?

Bmore Manning
11-01-2012, 07:55 PM
The trade deadline has passed, most were following a thread that spoke about Deangello being brought here, but now that we have passed the deadline, where does DJ fit going forward? He's not going to be traded (obviously), he's not going to be cut, and John Fox seems to think he is an impact player from the LB position.

With Woodyard playing great football, DJ will obviously not be taking back the weak side spot upon his return after the Carolina game. His tweeted pics were of him on the strong side. Popular belief on here is he will play Mike, although apparently he has said playing Mike is his least favorite of the three...

So I pose this question, when DJ returns, if coach Fox really thinks he is a difference maker, where does he fit? Jeff Legwold over the Denver Post seems to think he will play inside when they use some 3-4 fronts as well as in nickel formations.

Discuss..

http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/db_19980/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=CZ4R9Lb3

ColoradoDarin
11-01-2012, 08:14 PM
http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/P11202763.jpg

TheReverend
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Mostly on the bench.

I'd totally run a 2-4 Nickel though (Elvis, Wolfe and Von on the line. WWIII, Trevathan and DJ underneath and either WW or DJ is blitzing) rushing 4.

Please no one try and call that a 3-3. I don't feel like arguing with an idiot tonight.

Nwp-Apap
11-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Probably starting MLB in the nickel to begin with, then taking over full time MLB duties after a week or two.

Agamemnon
11-01-2012, 08:38 PM
http://www.justbaseball.us/Qstore/uploads/permanent_bench.jpg

bombay
11-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Linebacker.

Bmore Manning
11-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Mostly on the bench.

I'd totally run a 2-4 Nickel though (Elvis, Wolfe and Von on the line. WWIII, Trevathan and DJ underneath and either WW or DJ is blitzing) rushing 4.

Please no one try and call that a 3-3. I don't feel like arguing with an idiot tonight.

That was probably initial expectation, he played strong side in the Nickel. And that's a good sounding defense, but I'm sure he will be involved more than that.

pricejj
11-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Strongside in the 4-2 Nickel to start with...as time goes by put him fulltime at MLB if Brooking falters.

We know that Trevathan is a player, but needs a little more time to develop. DJ is a playmaker, and puts this Defense over the top. Just imagine if Warren didn't get hurt.

broncswin
11-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Punt protecter..er wait, who are we talkin bout

beardedwonder
11-01-2012, 09:03 PM
He will.have a starting job like 2 weeks after he comes back

kappys
11-01-2012, 09:17 PM
This is an interesting question. I went back and looked at most of the footage of our defense against the Saints excluding the final garbage time TD in which the prevent was in full force.

We had 2 base 4-3 defenses - base#1 - Doom-DT-DT(Vick/bannan/unrein)-Wofe and then Miller-Brooking-Woodyard

base #2: Doom-DT-DT-Miller and Irving-Brooking-Woodyard.

We've all seen that Woodyard has outperformed DJ

Brooking did a solid job in the middle - whether DJ could be an improvement int he middle remains to be seen - his atheleticism may give him the edge over Brooking.

DJ is an improvement over Irving in Base #2. From my watching Irving was OK in covering his zones but didn't really make any plays, juked by Sproles on 1 occasion but fortunately this was cleaned up by Woodyard 2 yards later, and went for a pick rather than making a safe tackle or breaking up a pass on the initial catch by the Saints that was later overturned on review.

We also saw plenty of Danny Trevathan - on review I think Danny did a stellar job. In the first quarter we saw him in man coverage x 2 against Jimmy Graham deflecting 1 pass but giving up another reception on a very nice move by Graham to get open. After the first the Broncos dominated the ball and we didn't see much of Danny again until the second half. There I counted 2 more good pass coverages of Graham including 1 in which the entire play could be seen and another in which Trevathan followed Graham out wide - Drew was clearly looking for Graham but then came back to his second read and hit a crossing route. Hard to know for sure if Danny blanketed his man or if it was safety help tha prevented Drew from going to Graham - I really need All-22 film. Danny had another pass completed against him v. Colston - hard to tell what happened here - Colston made a very quick cut inside crossing over middle and picking up 8 - either Danny was supposed to play a middle zone and smartly followed Colston or he was in man coverage against Colston for some reason in which case he just got beat but I won't hold that against him.

I am very excited to see more of Trevathan. Mike Adams has been pretty bad in man coverage. Our CB's excel in man coverage and thus the addition of a player who can reliably cover pass recieving TE's in man coverage would be a huge addition. Trevathan has definitely earned the opporunity to show if he's then man and if he steps up DJ will really have to prove himself to win back the stating job.

Unrelated I would also like to mention that Virgil Green outplayed Dressen in that game. The blocking on the L side of the line was outstanding with the combination of Green-Clady-Beadles(usually pulling) - Green sealed his man inside every time, Clady cleared his guy out and Beadles seems very quick right now. We had a lot of great runs off the L side. It remains to be seen if Virgil can run some decent routes but he clearly has the atheleticism to make plays as we saw in the 4th quarter.

Eldorado
11-01-2012, 09:26 PM
We've never seen DJ in this defense.

Agamemnon
11-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Brooking did a solid job in the middle - whether DJ could be an improvement int he middle remains to be seen - his atheleticism may give him the edge over Brooking.

It doesn't. Brooking actually knows what he's doing at MLB. All the athleticism in the world won't make DJ smart enough to play Mike.

ZONA
11-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Probably starting MLB in the nickel to begin with, then taking over full time MLB duties after a week or two.

That's about how I pretty much see it unfolding. He'll get time in 1st game back but won't start. He's better then Brooking and Trev so I expect him to start at MLB by his 2nd game back. I don't care which spot is his favorite or least favorite to play. Right now he needs to understand he's in a delicate situation and just needs to get on the field wherever he can.

kappys
11-02-2012, 12:01 AM
It doesn't. Brooking actually knows what he's doing at MLB. All the athleticism in the world won't make DJ smart enough to play Mike.

I think its worth giving him another shot.

OUr defense was humiliated by NE. If we face them again we run the risk of succumbing to a fast paced run/pass offense. In that situation DJ's versatility might make the difference. Hell it might allow us to play Von Miller as a base DE and bring Trevathan in as an SLB/TE man cover guy which would be a very effective base formation against a team like NE.

lonestar
11-02-2012, 12:24 AM

I see someone else is without a woody for dumb ass..

I will trust JDR to find the best place for him considering he has not set foot on the field in the current configuration we have..

Most likely that will be the sidelines or bench unless someone is injured..

Elway and Fox have made it plain with all the folks they have brought in the regard leadership and intelligence more than just being an athlete.. Pretty sure he will be gone after this year if the kiddies continue to grow the way they have so far..

The only way to get that experience is on the field WHICH I will repeat is something DJ does not have with this Defense.. Why try and teach him when the other guys have been doing a damned fine job the past few games.. We got gashed in NE and I doubt seriously that DJ would have made any difference in that game.. it was all new super fast no huddle and it caught us all off guard..

the bungals will be out next test for this run defense.. if we can shut them down then there is hope he rides the pine..

ZONA
11-02-2012, 12:58 AM
I see someone else is without a woody for dumb ass..

I will trust JDR to find the best place for him considering he has not set foot on the field in the current configuration we have..

Most likely that will be the sidelines or bench unless someone is injured..

Elway and Fox have made it plain with all the folks they have brought in the regard leadership and intelligence more than just being an athlete.. Pretty sure he will be gone after this year if the kiddies continue to grow the way they have so far..

The only way to get that experience is on the field WHICH I will repeat is something DJ does not have with this Defense.. Why try and teach him when the other guys have been doing a damned fine job the past few games.. We got gashed in NE and I doubt seriously that DJ would have made any difference in that game.. it was all new super fast no huddle and it caught us all off guard..

the bungals will be out next test for this run defense.. if we can shut them down then there is hope he rides the pine..

DJ was here for all of OTA's and camp and he's been allowed at facilities now so it's not like he just got here and somebody gave him a playbook, and he's not a rookie who needs to adjust for the NFL game speed. He'll be fine. Trevathon makes a few nice plays against the pass and all of a sudden he's our go to guy to cover TE's? Cmon now. Sounds like some people are hoping DJ won't play well. That's crazy. He's a Bronco. Let's hope he comes back and tears it up.

lonestar
11-02-2012, 02:13 AM
DJ was here for all of OTA's and camp and he's been allowed at facilities now so it's not like he just got here and somebody gave him a playbook, and he's not a rookie who needs to adjust for the NFL game speed. He'll be fine. Trevathon makes a few nice plays against the pass and all of a sudden he's our go to guy to cover TE's? Cmon now. Sounds like some people are hoping DJ won't play well. That's crazy. He's a Bronco. Let's hope he comes back and tears it up.

Well obviously you have more faith or a strong bromance for dumb ass than I do.

While he may have had time in OTA's and camp being on the filed in real situations goes a lot farther than "practice ". Plus it has evolved since then also.
I don't like the guy no secret there but mainly because he let his team down on more than one occasion.

While some of you are willing to overlook that I do not think that JDR and Fox not to mention John will reward him with playing time unless they have to.

If dj was half as good as his salary cap number then maybe I would cut the moron some slack. But he has not out performed a guy making 20% of what has does. Making him expendable.

As I said before J,J,J have made it clear in their personnel moves they like smart players and leaders and dumb ass is neither, compounding the situation is his contract.

Now they may welcome him back I do not know. But I'd like to think they will make him earn any spot he gets. A little tough love to see if he really wants it or thinks he is entitled to it. Which by his past actions is what I see.

Unless something drastic happens he is gone after the season, if not when he comes off of suspension. Kind of let's the rest of the team know to mind their Ps and Qs.

manning was a great step in upping the game I just do not see him on that level.

Drek
11-02-2012, 05:05 AM
I'd imagine he'll effectively take snaps from Irving and Trevathan as the #2 nickel LB when we move Miller to a pass rush position. It'll be a good role for him.

He'll need to earn a larger role either by outplaying Woodyard in those situations when both are on the field, or by proving that he could replace Brooking at MLB.

He adds depth and will help shore up our nickel unit against short to intermediate passes over the middle of the field (still our biggest weak spot). Should be a useful addition at this point in the season.

Doesn't change that the FO needs to be thinking about cutting him this off-season and replacing him with a younger, more responsible LB.

kent156
11-02-2012, 05:56 AM
even with him on the field the broncos still got beat down by the pats last year so he will have to earn his spot back

kdissette
11-02-2012, 07:14 AM
i bet hes backup MLB and OLB he knows how to make the playcalls and can lead the defense if brooking goes down which is likely now that mays is out im glad to have him back if hes in shape

pricejj
11-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Doesn't change that the FO needs to be thinking about cutting him this off-season and replacing him with a younger, more responsible LB.

What do you think of Ogletree? I haven't seen him play, but it looks like the Georgia Defense isn't very good.

Other than him, I don't see the Broncos going LB in round 1...maybe RB, DE, or DT.

pricejj
11-02-2012, 08:40 AM
even with him on the field the broncos still got beat down by the pats last year so he will have to earn his spot back

That was mainly due to:
1. Offense 3-and-outs.
2. Craptastic Secondary play (Bruton, Carter, Goodman).
3. Mays was MLB then too.

The Defense was never lined up correctly.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
He doesn't. The end.